How do you do it?
Before Self Assessment came in I had no problems with filing Tax Returns and my turnover was virtually the same every month. Then the Chancellor stood up and said he was going to simplify the tax system and I had visions of early retirement. Now we have the dreaded 31st January deadline. All my client's seem to think they are my only client so if they roll up in late January with a big grin on their face and say "I know I promised to let you have it earlier this year BUT with this and that I have just not got round to doing it.... BUT it will be early next year!!!!!!!"
HMRC seem to think the way forward is to issue penalties but all their threats seem to be landing on deaf ears.
Business would be great if we could get the information in early - HMRC think is us lot stock piling the returns - I wish it was. So what is the sucessful way of getting the client to shift his (or her) backside and the question is WHAT DO YOU DO?
Obviously there has to be a balance, offering discounts gives the impression you are overcharging in the first place, stating you will charge an extra surcharge meets with the answer they will move elsewhere, at the end of the day I want a system that is benefits my good client's. Ranting and Raving merely gets us closer to a wooden overcoat. Ideally I feel SA should probably be rejigged to a similar system to corporation tax filing but a) that ain't going to happen and b) most of them have a similar attitude. All I want is a nice quiet and hassle free life where the 20% of the pains (same people every year) do not give us 80% of the aggro when we least need it!
- Saying goodbye 71 2
- More stupid generic notices from HMRC on RTI 268 4
- Is it possible to retrospectively change the tax year that dividends were paid. 165 11
- Now Scotland has voted "No", when does England get to vote? 743 32
- VAT registration for self employed dentist??? 573 22
- Any Scottish members out there? 10,989 402
- Warning of enforcement action - without any warnings 226 4
- Naming new company 59 3
- Expenses prior to Startup date for startup 132 4
- Is there an expert in Excel out there? 359 4
- Excel: MATCH does not match two apparently identical cells 707 6
- Tax on private fuel for own car 152 4
- About to buy a block of fees. Any advice? 1,634 9
- Will this AIA be disallowed when asset transferred to Ltd Co 227 11
- How to pursue fraudulent trading 184 3
- Drop box Storage 93 1
- How good is OCRREX Auto Rec software? 304 8
- Personal allowance for a resident of both Belgium and UK? 225 13
- What is the role of an accountant? 1,340 22
- How can customer service quality vary between the basic pension firms? 213 3
- Raiders of the Lost Tax File 1,264
- Chartered Accountant in County Down N.Ireland 452
- National Insurance 347
- Unnecessary S9A Enquiries 280
- Non Resident 265
- Cass 5 FCA Client Money Software recomendation 257
- Franchise income and costs 233
- Hands on experience of Digita 188
- Tax on interest received from insurance company 171
- Employer's Helpline 142