How do you do it?
Before Self Assessment came in I had no problems with filing Tax Returns and my turnover was virtually the same every month. Then the Chancellor stood up and said he was going to simplify the tax system and I had visions of early retirement. Now we have the dreaded 31st January deadline. All my client's seem to think they are my only client so if they roll up in late January with a big grin on their face and say "I know I promised to let you have it earlier this year BUT with this and that I have just not got round to doing it.... BUT it will be early next year!!!!!!!"
HMRC seem to think the way forward is to issue penalties but all their threats seem to be landing on deaf ears.
Business would be great if we could get the information in early - HMRC think is us lot stock piling the returns - I wish it was. So what is the sucessful way of getting the client to shift his (or her) backside and the question is WHAT DO YOU DO?
Obviously there has to be a balance, offering discounts gives the impression you are overcharging in the first place, stating you will charge an extra surcharge meets with the answer they will move elsewhere, at the end of the day I want a system that is benefits my good client's. Ranting and Raving merely gets us closer to a wooden overcoat. Ideally I feel SA should probably be rejigged to a similar system to corporation tax filing but a) that ain't going to happen and b) most of them have a similar attitude. All I want is a nice quiet and hassle free life where the 20% of the pains (same people every year) do not give us 80% of the aggro when we least need it!
- Post AAT? 619 3
- Small amount of untaxed royalties for someone outside SA 45 1
- VAT - Check on clients business 860 36
- Annual to At Least Quarterly 397 18
- Entrepreneurs Relief, and then new company 19 1
- Probate services 342 6
- Treatment of valuation fee for IHT. 186 2
- Bookkeeping Rate of Pay 2,604 37
- Private doctors - Ltd company vs partnership 256 7
- What's the Barmiest Reason A Client gave you for going? 2,480 24
- Opening Balance in Sage 50 Accounts 98 3
- Sage accounts help 81 1
- Community Faux Pas 805 25
- AAT before CIMA? 118 1
- trading losses allowable? 723 13
- Digital tax accounts - what do we expect? 438 9
- Tax Fines - HMRC 746 11
- Shared Network Drive on the Cloud 95 3
- Portuguese Resident having a UK Limited Company 167 6
- Here we go.... 854 25