How do you do it?
Before Self Assessment came in I had no problems with filing Tax Returns and my turnover was virtually the same every month. Then the Chancellor stood up and said he was going to simplify the tax system and I had visions of early retirement. Now we have the dreaded 31st January deadline. All my client's seem to think they are my only client so if they roll up in late January with a big grin on their face and say "I know I promised to let you have it earlier this year BUT with this and that I have just not got round to doing it.... BUT it will be early next year!!!!!!!"
HMRC seem to think the way forward is to issue penalties but all their threats seem to be landing on deaf ears.
Business would be great if we could get the information in early - HMRC think is us lot stock piling the returns - I wish it was. So what is the sucessful way of getting the client to shift his (or her) backside and the question is WHAT DO YOU DO?
Obviously there has to be a balance, offering discounts gives the impression you are overcharging in the first place, stating you will charge an extra surcharge meets with the answer they will move elsewhere, at the end of the day I want a system that is benefits my good client's. Ranting and Raving merely gets us closer to a wooden overcoat. Ideally I feel SA should probably be rejigged to a similar system to corporation tax filing but a) that ain't going to happen and b) most of them have a similar attitude. All I want is a nice quiet and hassle free life where the 20% of the pains (same people every year) do not give us 80% of the aggro when we least need it!
- Are Sales to Germany considered VAT Taxable turnover for HMRC? 63 2
- Where has Portia gone? 1,727 65
- Is my client risking reputational damage? 241 7
- Is it worth being a limited company if already a higher rate taxpayer? 367 4
- Performance measurement within accounting practice 272 5
- Do I have grounds to dispute our accountant’s fees? 248 6
- New Client wants an Income Certificate for a Mortgage 900 21
- Can i reclaim tax if my fuel cost more than the AFR in a company car 192 3
- transferring from franchisee to ltd comapny 123 1
- Sage line 50 payment before invoice date 193 11
- Best Tax / Accounts Production software 399 10
- Property Purchase in Daughters Name 339 9
- Merging my businesses 157 2
- Getting fees, getting harder? 3,728 73
- Spousal transfer and PPR 519 16
- VAT on commercial property 161 3
- Rogue Accountant 3,055 49
- deceased creditor 217 5
- Corporate member of LLP 284 1
- Investment company 277 6
- Services via intermediaries and new HMRC reporting requirements 782
- RTI - duplicate employee record 543
- Pensions Regulator 445
- How hard is it to reduce a code? 405
- Sage Vat return box 2 310
- Sanzar 306
- Digital marketing focus group 291
- How do you do it 280
- Portia ... Where art thou 279
- Kashflow balance sheet difference 260