How do you do it?
Before Self Assessment came in I had no problems with filing Tax Returns and my turnover was virtually the same every month. Then the Chancellor stood up and said he was going to simplify the tax system and I had visions of early retirement. Now we have the dreaded 31st January deadline. All my client's seem to think they are my only client so if they roll up in late January with a big grin on their face and say "I know I promised to let you have it earlier this year BUT with this and that I have just not got round to doing it.... BUT it will be early next year!!!!!!!"
HMRC seem to think the way forward is to issue penalties but all their threats seem to be landing on deaf ears.
Business would be great if we could get the information in early - HMRC think is us lot stock piling the returns - I wish it was. So what is the sucessful way of getting the client to shift his (or her) backside and the question is WHAT DO YOU DO?
Obviously there has to be a balance, offering discounts gives the impression you are overcharging in the first place, stating you will charge an extra surcharge meets with the answer they will move elsewhere, at the end of the day I want a system that is benefits my good client's. Ranting and Raving merely gets us closer to a wooden overcoat. Ideally I feel SA should probably be rejigged to a similar system to corporation tax filing but a) that ain't going to happen and b) most of them have a similar attitude. All I want is a nice quiet and hassle free life where the 20% of the pains (same people every year) do not give us 80% of the aggro when we least need it!
- Increasing the personal allowance: A top priority? 721 30
- Partnership UTRs 43 4
- Transfer of shares 451 17
- Anyone know about Cloud-Based Practice Management Software? 78 2
- View on Absolute Accounts Integrated vs PTP vs IRIS 57 2
- Rights of Alphabet shares 214 7
- Home as office costs - new rules wef April 2013 83 1
- Where to advertise for staff 93 3
- Purchase of ltd company 133 4
- Double tax treaty Italy and UK 141 2
- HMRC Tax debt 116 1
- Capital Allowances on Furnished Holiday Lets Business 345 8
- Business Bank account 147 4
- Telephone call from "Xero" 199 3
- Directors Remuneration 2014/15 and NIC Allowance and Excel Spreadsheet 169 3
- Is Accountancy Becoming like an Insurance Policy 385 3
- NIC £2000 Allowance - Care Support Worker 207 4
- RTI and s18 ITEPA 119 2
- P9D or P11D 900 8
- P35 and Service Company questions 247 6
- Xtuple 557
- Qtac payroll for bureau 378
- Confused - Professional Association a Mutual trader, or not? 325
- Industrial & Provident Societies 315
- Why would HMRC offer to close an investigation by contract settlement 311
- CIS schemes 230
- Domain name sale and limited company 209
- Director legal fees in loose connection to the company 194
- Investment 192
- Italian friend wants to set up a UK company to reduce taxes 188