How do you do it?
Before Self Assessment came in I had no problems with filing Tax Returns and my turnover was virtually the same every month. Then the Chancellor stood up and said he was going to simplify the tax system and I had visions of early retirement. Now we have the dreaded 31st January deadline. All my client's seem to think they are my only client so if they roll up in late January with a big grin on their face and say "I know I promised to let you have it earlier this year BUT with this and that I have just not got round to doing it.... BUT it will be early next year!!!!!!!"
HMRC seem to think the way forward is to issue penalties but all their threats seem to be landing on deaf ears.
Business would be great if we could get the information in early - HMRC think is us lot stock piling the returns - I wish it was. So what is the sucessful way of getting the client to shift his (or her) backside and the question is WHAT DO YOU DO?
Obviously there has to be a balance, offering discounts gives the impression you are overcharging in the first place, stating you will charge an extra surcharge meets with the answer they will move elsewhere, at the end of the day I want a system that is benefits my good client's. Ranting and Raving merely gets us closer to a wooden overcoat. Ideally I feel SA should probably be rejigged to a similar system to corporation tax filing but a) that ain't going to happen and b) most of them have a similar attitude. All I want is a nice quiet and hassle free life where the 20% of the pains (same people every year) do not give us 80% of the aggro when we least need it!
- Builder using cash labour 280 3
- Notes to statutory accounts 13 1
- Easy way to not pay tax 685 18
- Holding companies 23 1
- Accomodation charge for Publican 102 2
- Client died family to pay redundancy 69 1
- VAT & Landlords 31 1
- VAT Registration 324 16
- Singaporean Tax Adviser 34 1
- Valuation of PET on death 201 6
- Auto enrolment 852 10
- Unusual Self Employment Expense Claims? 244 4
- Payment for goods received on last day of quarter but refunded the next - what options are open here? 405 17
- Vat on second hand goods 164 2
- Soil Survey Required Mortgage 125 4
- Incorporation - any tax advantage? 628 17
- another ir35!!!! 839 3
- Entrepreneur's relief and LLPs 163 3
- Limited Company - Personal Bank Account 1,972 39
- Pre- trading Expenses 227 3
- Skandia using wrong address 1,511
- Nil Rate Band Trust - index linked debt by way of charge over property 836
- International interest certificate 454
- NOVA 310
- Bonus Bonds 191
- Can Limited Company Buy Share of Rental Property? 189
- Subby expenses subject to tax & NI? 187
- Management expenses for investment company 183
- DOUBLE TAXATION RELIEF BETWEEN A PRIVATE LTD COMPANY AND GREECE (the private Ltd has no employees and its main activity is 172
- Have we escaped Gift with Reservation of Benfit & Pre-owned asset charges? - Gift after benefit 164