How do you do it?
Before Self Assessment came in I had no problems with filing Tax Returns and my turnover was virtually the same every month. Then the Chancellor stood up and said he was going to simplify the tax system and I had visions of early retirement. Now we have the dreaded 31st January deadline. All my client's seem to think they are my only client so if they roll up in late January with a big grin on their face and say "I know I promised to let you have it earlier this year BUT with this and that I have just not got round to doing it.... BUT it will be early next year!!!!!!!"
HMRC seem to think the way forward is to issue penalties but all their threats seem to be landing on deaf ears.
Business would be great if we could get the information in early - HMRC think is us lot stock piling the returns - I wish it was. So what is the sucessful way of getting the client to shift his (or her) backside and the question is WHAT DO YOU DO?
Obviously there has to be a balance, offering discounts gives the impression you are overcharging in the first place, stating you will charge an extra surcharge meets with the answer they will move elsewhere, at the end of the day I want a system that is benefits my good client's. Ranting and Raving merely gets us closer to a wooden overcoat. Ideally I feel SA should probably be rejigged to a similar system to corporation tax filing but a) that ain't going to happen and b) most of them have a similar attitude. All I want is a nice quiet and hassle free life where the 20% of the pains (same people every year) do not give us 80% of the aggro when we least need it!
- Starting new accounting business 216 5
- Advice needed on my practice but not my clients 103 2
- Clients 626 13
- Is the annual Money Laundering Payment tax allowable 156 2
- Is a property owner charging a peppercorn rent to a limited company acceptable 441 10
- Bookkeeping software for cafe and VAT 27 1
- VAT Reg.for sole trader with 2 S/E 30 1
- Sage Payroll 73 1
- SAGE 50 - Invoice Date 99 2
- VAT flat rate scheme 414 8
- Tolley UK sales number 200 7
- Intermediaries reporting - who does it apply to? 105 2
- Does SMP and SPP go up if leave goes across 2 tax years? 339 14
- Are agent account managers any good? 135 2
- Non Resident Landlord Scheme - Penalties 69 3
- VAT registration - which address? 69 1
- Leaving the flat rate scheme 89 2
- Practice Company Secretarial Software recommendations please 227 4
- On line Remote Training 244 7
- Group Relief 81 1
- QROP pension input amounts 490
- HMRC BENCHMARK EXPENSES 470
- write off loan or loan to equity swap or both 436
- EPS and CIS deductions 291
- Sole trade business in UK, but the owner works from EU 283
- Construction CIS LLP Company 273
- Stamp duty on house transfer between spouses 236
- SAGE winforecast 196
- LIVE: Budget aftermath webinar 180
- Overdrawn director account 171