How do you do it?
Before Self Assessment came in I had no problems with filing Tax Returns and my turnover was virtually the same every month. Then the Chancellor stood up and said he was going to simplify the tax system and I had visions of early retirement. Now we have the dreaded 31st January deadline. All my client's seem to think they are my only client so if they roll up in late January with a big grin on their face and say "I know I promised to let you have it earlier this year BUT with this and that I have just not got round to doing it.... BUT it will be early next year!!!!!!!"
HMRC seem to think the way forward is to issue penalties but all their threats seem to be landing on deaf ears.
Business would be great if we could get the information in early - HMRC think is us lot stock piling the returns - I wish it was. So what is the sucessful way of getting the client to shift his (or her) backside and the question is WHAT DO YOU DO?
Obviously there has to be a balance, offering discounts gives the impression you are overcharging in the first place, stating you will charge an extra surcharge meets with the answer they will move elsewhere, at the end of the day I want a system that is benefits my good client's. Ranting and Raving merely gets us closer to a wooden overcoat. Ideally I feel SA should probably be rejigged to a similar system to corporation tax filing but a) that ain't going to happen and b) most of them have a similar attitude. All I want is a nice quiet and hassle free life where the 20% of the pains (same people every year) do not give us 80% of the aggro when we least need it!
- Does reputation of a tax agent affect likelihood of a HMRC audit 306 4
- Family property company Benefit in Kind and ATED issues 109 1
- PPR ELECTION 341 10
- Microsoft One Drive 280 8
- Capital Allowances for cars/hackney carriages 119 2
- Travel expenses for director - flight 391 4
- Invoices 168 1
- Not a question but made my day 684 14
- Accounts Package 309 8
- Question about VAT Group Registration 139 1
- Employee leaving mid month and Payroll Manager 654 18
- Reclaim VAT charged by US company 275 3
- Repayment of Share Capital 416 8
- VAT on property 157 1
- To make a claim against my PI insurer 320 4
- Late night meals self employed 385 2
- Auto enrolment pension scheme set up 430 9
- EBT Self Assessment Return 279 1
- Is there a way around new dividend tax changes? 2,922 18
- Vat Exemption moving to a partnership 150 1
- NHS finance professionals 576
- Auto Enrolment and Foreign employers 382
- Foreign Pension Contribution 353
- Fines for late submission of the RDR 333
- Employee's statement of sickness (SC2) form - no longer available as downloadable pdf 315
- vat gross profit percentage margins 312
- Pre Season Invoice dated September how do you treat the VAT as not due until May 16 289
- SWAT AML v Anti Money Laundering Compliance Plus (AMLCP) 257
- Thinning income 239
- Does pension term assurance count for unused relief purposes? 211