How do you do it?
Before Self Assessment came in I had no problems with filing Tax Returns and my turnover was virtually the same every month. Then the Chancellor stood up and said he was going to simplify the tax system and I had visions of early retirement. Now we have the dreaded 31st January deadline. All my client's seem to think they are my only client so if they roll up in late January with a big grin on their face and say "I know I promised to let you have it earlier this year BUT with this and that I have just not got round to doing it.... BUT it will be early next year!!!!!!!"
HMRC seem to think the way forward is to issue penalties but all their threats seem to be landing on deaf ears.
Business would be great if we could get the information in early - HMRC think is us lot stock piling the returns - I wish it was. So what is the sucessful way of getting the client to shift his (or her) backside and the question is WHAT DO YOU DO?
Obviously there has to be a balance, offering discounts gives the impression you are overcharging in the first place, stating you will charge an extra surcharge meets with the answer they will move elsewhere, at the end of the day I want a system that is benefits my good client's. Ranting and Raving merely gets us closer to a wooden overcoat. Ideally I feel SA should probably be rejigged to a similar system to corporation tax filing but a) that ain't going to happen and b) most of them have a similar attitude. All I want is a nice quiet and hassle free life where the 20% of the pains (same people every year) do not give us 80% of the aggro when we least need it!
- SA online - 4 hour limit 1,325 14
- IR35 deemed payment and dividends - practical considerations 169 3
- VAT on Hire Purchase 189 2
- "Audit Report" 90 1
- Annual tax investigation cover fee? 485 13
- Coding Notice 233 6
- UK company paying dividend to foreign shareholder 251 6
- New business - journal entries 416 22
- Is CGT roll over relief available for let property 227 3
- Payroll software 654 16
- Statutory accounts, current company address, or one that was correct at EOY? 279 5
- Are there Special Rules for Agencies? 401 10
- 100% Annual investment allowance on luxury cars 738 18
- B2B vat in the EU 195 4
- Samadian effect on self employed student support workers 203 4
- Changes to class 2 NIC's 238 3
- Client RTI Shows payments not his 201 4
- LLP as member of LLP 143 1
- Why should I retain membership? 2,850 48
- Alerting clients versus walking away from clients 525 7
- Auto enrolment excuses 875
- Feedback on accounts production software for IFRS 722
- Add T&Cs to Sales Order in Sage 415
- Social investment tax relief 220
- Digita Hosted Software 215
- Call Centre Data Costs 204
- accounting for this transaction 198
- Buying goods in US and selling them to company in US 174
- Problems with Sage 50 Payroll v21(2015) 174
- Travel costs and contractors 173