How do you do it?
Before Self Assessment came in I had no problems with filing Tax Returns and my turnover was virtually the same every month. Then the Chancellor stood up and said he was going to simplify the tax system and I had visions of early retirement. Now we have the dreaded 31st January deadline. All my client's seem to think they are my only client so if they roll up in late January with a big grin on their face and say "I know I promised to let you have it earlier this year BUT with this and that I have just not got round to doing it.... BUT it will be early next year!!!!!!!"
HMRC seem to think the way forward is to issue penalties but all their threats seem to be landing on deaf ears.
Business would be great if we could get the information in early - HMRC think is us lot stock piling the returns - I wish it was. So what is the sucessful way of getting the client to shift his (or her) backside and the question is WHAT DO YOU DO?
Obviously there has to be a balance, offering discounts gives the impression you are overcharging in the first place, stating you will charge an extra surcharge meets with the answer they will move elsewhere, at the end of the day I want a system that is benefits my good client's. Ranting and Raving merely gets us closer to a wooden overcoat. Ideally I feel SA should probably be rejigged to a similar system to corporation tax filing but a) that ain't going to happen and b) most of them have a similar attitude. All I want is a nice quiet and hassle free life where the 20% of the pains (same people every year) do not give us 80% of the aggro when we least need it!
- Taxfiler - SA100 - More efficient? 440 5
- See you all on the other side 607 6
- 12Pay 321 2
- dividends 433 2
- R&D 240 1
- Quarterly Reporting - The Logistics 1,113 17
- Auto enrolment contribution rates 397 3
- How long are you waiting for appeal reply 304 4
- Borrowing money to loan to company 268 1
- Mother as Guarantor for Son's mortgage 496 5
- Seeking a tax case 546 9
- When do we qualify for state pension? 415 4
- Companies house strike off 387 3
- Tax treatment of alterations to property 306 2
- Moving to the cloud 694 9
- Iris open space/doc exchange for SATRs 195 2
- How much to charge for payroll? 837 16
- Unincorporated charity transfer to CIO 186 4
- BTC vs Digita 1,060 29
- Has anyone tried calling HMRC to get tax on dividends put in code? 440 4
- HMRC Joint Filing 541
- Capital Contribution towards a company car 409
- Capital Reduction & Impact on EIS Shares 360
- IRIS and FRS 102 341
- Capitalising Finance Lease 305
- USA help 304
- National Minimum Wage issue on Directors joining a Workplace Pension 276
- Dormant company accounts under FRS 102 264
- Capital gains on rental property 246
- Sage Coretime 226