How do you do it?
Before Self Assessment came in I had no problems with filing Tax Returns and my turnover was virtually the same every month. Then the Chancellor stood up and said he was going to simplify the tax system and I had visions of early retirement. Now we have the dreaded 31st January deadline. All my client's seem to think they are my only client so if they roll up in late January with a big grin on their face and say "I know I promised to let you have it earlier this year BUT with this and that I have just not got round to doing it.... BUT it will be early next year!!!!!!!"
HMRC seem to think the way forward is to issue penalties but all their threats seem to be landing on deaf ears.
Business would be great if we could get the information in early - HMRC think is us lot stock piling the returns - I wish it was. So what is the sucessful way of getting the client to shift his (or her) backside and the question is WHAT DO YOU DO?
Obviously there has to be a balance, offering discounts gives the impression you are overcharging in the first place, stating you will charge an extra surcharge meets with the answer they will move elsewhere, at the end of the day I want a system that is benefits my good client's. Ranting and Raving merely gets us closer to a wooden overcoat. Ideally I feel SA should probably be rejigged to a similar system to corporation tax filing but a) that ain't going to happen and b) most of them have a similar attitude. All I want is a nice quiet and hassle free life where the 20% of the pains (same people every year) do not give us 80% of the aggro when we least need it!
- Warning for freeagent accountants using payroll import 171 1
- Do most of you still use MS Office? 138 4
- IT advisory questions? 135 5
- Entrepreneurs Relief 778 44
- Has anyone else come across VAT account suspensions? 91 1
- Should I move back home away from my office? 390 8
- Ceasing in membership of ATT 496 7
- Director Personal Bank Account in company's books 451 8
- Sage payroll alternatives 613 12
- More AE! 645 14
- Moneysoft and People's Pension 114 4
- PAYE 1,611 17
- Scanners 99 1
- UK company paying dividend to foreign shareholder 1,110 16
- Relevance of UK Residency 117 2
- VAT Tax Point - Overseas Purchase 116 3
- Invoice dispute 598 5
- DAILY PENALTIES / APPEALS 275 2
- Construction Industry Allowable expenses 425 9
- Property inheritance by overseas resident 103 1
- Auto enrolment excuses 1,146
- Feedback on accounts production software for IFRS 792
- Add T&Cs to Sales Order in Sage 481
- Digita Hosted Software 316
- Credit where credit's due....... 261
- Buying goods in US and selling them to company in US 222
- Director phone costs 220
- General rule: Evidence that the customer is in business 193
- What to say to Tom, Dick and Harry... 172
- Flat rate VAT- other income calculation 147