How do you do it?
Before Self Assessment came in I had no problems with filing Tax Returns and my turnover was virtually the same every month. Then the Chancellor stood up and said he was going to simplify the tax system and I had visions of early retirement. Now we have the dreaded 31st January deadline. All my client's seem to think they are my only client so if they roll up in late January with a big grin on their face and say "I know I promised to let you have it earlier this year BUT with this and that I have just not got round to doing it.... BUT it will be early next year!!!!!!!"
HMRC seem to think the way forward is to issue penalties but all their threats seem to be landing on deaf ears.
Business would be great if we could get the information in early - HMRC think is us lot stock piling the returns - I wish it was. So what is the sucessful way of getting the client to shift his (or her) backside and the question is WHAT DO YOU DO?
Obviously there has to be a balance, offering discounts gives the impression you are overcharging in the first place, stating you will charge an extra surcharge meets with the answer they will move elsewhere, at the end of the day I want a system that is benefits my good client's. Ranting and Raving merely gets us closer to a wooden overcoat. Ideally I feel SA should probably be rejigged to a similar system to corporation tax filing but a) that ain't going to happen and b) most of them have a similar attitude. All I want is a nice quiet and hassle free life where the 20% of the pains (same people every year) do not give us 80% of the aggro when we least need it!
- Time to ditch Sage? 137 2
- CT600 - Credit balance in expenses? 245 8
- Travel is part allowable if combined with personal holiday 132 2
- Non VAT invoices 124 2
- Do you use commercial software for Self Assessment tax returns? 266 8
- Client in dispute with Customer over cancellation charge 1,358 32
- Fees 149 1
- Correcting earlier year CT600s 239 5
- ACCA Special Business Resolutions... 189 2
- Form 17 Download 104 1
- Claiming VAT on car lease 538 28
- Small hotel - food for personal use 370 4
- HMRC Information notice 985 24
- Recommendations for online payroll software 268 3
- Accountant Specialization. 373 5
- Accounting Web - What is happening? 1,751 42
- Sage Line 50 171 3
- Off topic slightly - any football fans out there? 184 1
- Can my company contibute more than 40000 to my pension in a tax year? 449 6
- CWF1 - is it still required?? 394 7
- Chart of account segments; Balance sheet vs P&L 757
- Any knowledge of salesorder.com 412
- Could and would anyone here carry out a hot file review of some non statutory audit work please? 363
- Electric Car 298
- S222 Charge 244
- Corporation tax penalties and fines on the CT600 203
- IP trans to holding company 193
- Software to Deal with Amazon and Ebay Sales 182
- Best way to convert Sage data to VT Transaction+ 177
- AIA 176