How do you do it?
Before Self Assessment came in I had no problems with filing Tax Returns and my turnover was virtually the same every month. Then the Chancellor stood up and said he was going to simplify the tax system and I had visions of early retirement. Now we have the dreaded 31st January deadline. All my client's seem to think they are my only client so if they roll up in late January with a big grin on their face and say "I know I promised to let you have it earlier this year BUT with this and that I have just not got round to doing it.... BUT it will be early next year!!!!!!!"
HMRC seem to think the way forward is to issue penalties but all their threats seem to be landing on deaf ears.
Business would be great if we could get the information in early - HMRC think is us lot stock piling the returns - I wish it was. So what is the sucessful way of getting the client to shift his (or her) backside and the question is WHAT DO YOU DO?
Obviously there has to be a balance, offering discounts gives the impression you are overcharging in the first place, stating you will charge an extra surcharge meets with the answer they will move elsewhere, at the end of the day I want a system that is benefits my good client's. Ranting and Raving merely gets us closer to a wooden overcoat. Ideally I feel SA should probably be rejigged to a similar system to corporation tax filing but a) that ain't going to happen and b) most of them have a similar attitude. All I want is a nice quiet and hassle free life where the 20% of the pains (same people every year) do not give us 80% of the aggro when we least need it!
- Yorkshire Day 534 36
- Adjustment to previous self assessments 15 1
- Company valuation for IHT purposes 135 4
- Do I need a smartphone? 1,787 65
- Principal Private Residence relief on two semis knocked together 124 4
- Subcontractor and CIS Deductions made by Contractor 351 16
- Entrepreneurs relief sale of business to two different buyers?? 106 3
- Have you staged yet for auto enrolment? 587 1
- SMP reclaimable by employer 265 7
- Agent help line - long queues? 217 4
- the umbrella scheme for PAYE 94 1
- inflation rate year on year 82 2
- Deleted question? 653 15
- Self Assessment Tax Return Required ???? 285 8
- Company no longer showing on Companies House web site 349 8
- EU VAT Registration Thresholds 143 6
- E-Magazines and pdfs 145 3
- Late annual return 201 2
- Flat rate VAT 370 8
- corporation tax 481 5
- Cancelled 458
- Cancelled 380
- SAGE Payroll Data for Import to MS Dynamics AX 373
- Probiz 351
- Free-standing washing machine - unfurnished lettings 350
- Phishing emails purporting to be from CIPFA? 254
- Is this UK incapacity benefit taxable in UK or Jersey? 232
- Another HMRC computer glitch? 225
- More spam 180
- Does anyone have SCI unit contact details? 155