How do you do it?
Before Self Assessment came in I had no problems with filing Tax Returns and my turnover was virtually the same every month. Then the Chancellor stood up and said he was going to simplify the tax system and I had visions of early retirement. Now we have the dreaded 31st January deadline. All my client's seem to think they are my only client so if they roll up in late January with a big grin on their face and say "I know I promised to let you have it earlier this year BUT with this and that I have just not got round to doing it.... BUT it will be early next year!!!!!!!"
HMRC seem to think the way forward is to issue penalties but all their threats seem to be landing on deaf ears.
Business would be great if we could get the information in early - HMRC think is us lot stock piling the returns - I wish it was. So what is the sucessful way of getting the client to shift his (or her) backside and the question is WHAT DO YOU DO?
Obviously there has to be a balance, offering discounts gives the impression you are overcharging in the first place, stating you will charge an extra surcharge meets with the answer they will move elsewhere, at the end of the day I want a system that is benefits my good client's. Ranting and Raving merely gets us closer to a wooden overcoat. Ideally I feel SA should probably be rejigged to a similar system to corporation tax filing but a) that ain't going to happen and b) most of them have a similar attitude. All I want is a nice quiet and hassle free life where the 20% of the pains (same people every year) do not give us 80% of the aggro when we least need it!
- Late VAT registration penalty 126 4
- Auto-Enrolment 3,237 159
- How to consolidate an LLP? 211 7
- VAT on “Reimbursement” from third parties 111 4
- How to account for VAT on a newbuild that has been let 176 4
- Accounting for a VAT Group 56 1
- Accountants who provide tech/IT advice 516 2
- Research expenses for authors 194 3
- Tax question about small group and how to set up 74 2
- HMRC website 104 1
- VAT 67 1
- Tax treatment on the sale of a business 374 18
- Company incorrectly marked 'dormant' by HMRC 122 1
- Pricing 238 8
- Sage error message 72 1
- VAT on converted property having opted to tax 211 8
- Twenty signs your practice is bad at tax 245 3
- Money laundering POCA 229 4
- Statutory Accounts - Dividends Disclosure Note 116 1
- P11d mistake 137 1
- Best way to take money from a business if you have unlimited EIS allowances? 502
- Skandia using wrong address 451
- Does anyone use PS Financials accounting software out there? 266
- FHL, period of grace and Entrepreneur's relief 243
- Employee rewards 238
- Legislation access for part-time sole practitioner? 209
- EPS Analysis - Change to EURO 203
- Rental Property W&T And Equipment 187
- Gift of reversion and lease into trust by two different people - later PPR 183
- Etax Australian 153