How do you do it?
Before Self Assessment came in I had no problems with filing Tax Returns and my turnover was virtually the same every month. Then the Chancellor stood up and said he was going to simplify the tax system and I had visions of early retirement. Now we have the dreaded 31st January deadline. All my client's seem to think they are my only client so if they roll up in late January with a big grin on their face and say "I know I promised to let you have it earlier this year BUT with this and that I have just not got round to doing it.... BUT it will be early next year!!!!!!!"
HMRC seem to think the way forward is to issue penalties but all their threats seem to be landing on deaf ears.
Business would be great if we could get the information in early - HMRC think is us lot stock piling the returns - I wish it was. So what is the sucessful way of getting the client to shift his (or her) backside and the question is WHAT DO YOU DO?
Obviously there has to be a balance, offering discounts gives the impression you are overcharging in the first place, stating you will charge an extra surcharge meets with the answer they will move elsewhere, at the end of the day I want a system that is benefits my good client's. Ranting and Raving merely gets us closer to a wooden overcoat. Ideally I feel SA should probably be rejigged to a similar system to corporation tax filing but a) that ain't going to happen and b) most of them have a similar attitude. All I want is a nice quiet and hassle free life where the 20% of the pains (same people every year) do not give us 80% of the aggro when we least need it!
- Not renewing AAT 568 7
- Accountant won't release working papers 2,650 50
- Furnished Lettings - expenses normally bourne by tenant 421 9
- New dividend taxation 253 1
- Company formation and bank account 332 9
- Next Move 604 18
- Owning overseas property 283 2
- MLR and benefitting from the disclosure 273 1
- Company Car for Owner Director number crunching - is there a ready reckoner? 193 3
- How did you recalculate your payroll fees 672 8
- Client tied in to accountant. Unfair contract? 594 9
- Importing Sage Data and Year End 225 2
- Legal structure of a group of friends producing a free newspaper 403 8
- OneNote is fantastic 539 11
- VAT Direct Debit 377 7
- S445 tax V's new dividend tax 462 8
- Self Assessment Software 694 21
- Share capital - death of a shareholder 448 13
- Self-assessment statistics 2,367 55
- Director started half way through the year no previous income. Pro rate NI 300 11
- Self employed and HMRC Worldwide Subsistence Rates 662
- Acrobat Checkbox Help for New 64-8 405
- Property letting & CAs 395
- Interest paid - do new rules affect Tax Credits? 389
- 2015 tax year end 388
- FCA regulated company in a small group 343
- Self employed consultant working in Ireland 295
- Market Invoice (P2P invoice discounting) tax treatment 235
- DTA tie-breaker issue 203
- Tax on internet ad sharing income 202