How do you do it?
Before Self Assessment came in I had no problems with filing Tax Returns and my turnover was virtually the same every month. Then the Chancellor stood up and said he was going to simplify the tax system and I had visions of early retirement. Now we have the dreaded 31st January deadline. All my client's seem to think they are my only client so if they roll up in late January with a big grin on their face and say "I know I promised to let you have it earlier this year BUT with this and that I have just not got round to doing it.... BUT it will be early next year!!!!!!!"
HMRC seem to think the way forward is to issue penalties but all their threats seem to be landing on deaf ears.
Business would be great if we could get the information in early - HMRC think is us lot stock piling the returns - I wish it was. So what is the sucessful way of getting the client to shift his (or her) backside and the question is WHAT DO YOU DO?
Obviously there has to be a balance, offering discounts gives the impression you are overcharging in the first place, stating you will charge an extra surcharge meets with the answer they will move elsewhere, at the end of the day I want a system that is benefits my good client's. Ranting and Raving merely gets us closer to a wooden overcoat. Ideally I feel SA should probably be rejigged to a similar system to corporation tax filing but a) that ain't going to happen and b) most of them have a similar attitude. All I want is a nice quiet and hassle free life where the 20% of the pains (same people every year) do not give us 80% of the aggro when we least need it!
- Family Partnership 232 6
- How do you integrate prepaid expenses in to the cash conversion cycle? 36 1
- Does anyone have an old version of Sage for sale? 140 4
- Problems viewing AWeb posts 78 2
- flat rate scheme 2,319 47
- Signed accounts for bank 633 14
- What route into accountancy would you recommend? 826 12
- Business lending another business money (UK) 286 7
- Deferring dividends on paper 162 5
- VAT Query on new build 96 1
- Restriction of trading loss and overlap relief 136 1
- CIC Abbreviated Accounts 143 4
- How to format Co-operative Accounts 88 1
- P11D Car Value 255 6
- NOVA declaration 103 1
- Business valuation advice 705 18
- Auto enrolment: What’s your plan? 1,503 16
- Are any of you members of The Institute of Financial Accountants - Accountnats certificate 1,225 23
- Can anybody recommend any software 290 2
- Stand alone practice management software 2,108 26