How do you do it?
Before Self Assessment came in I had no problems with filing Tax Returns and my turnover was virtually the same every month. Then the Chancellor stood up and said he was going to simplify the tax system and I had visions of early retirement. Now we have the dreaded 31st January deadline. All my client's seem to think they are my only client so if they roll up in late January with a big grin on their face and say "I know I promised to let you have it earlier this year BUT with this and that I have just not got round to doing it.... BUT it will be early next year!!!!!!!"
HMRC seem to think the way forward is to issue penalties but all their threats seem to be landing on deaf ears.
Business would be great if we could get the information in early - HMRC think is us lot stock piling the returns - I wish it was. So what is the sucessful way of getting the client to shift his (or her) backside and the question is WHAT DO YOU DO?
Obviously there has to be a balance, offering discounts gives the impression you are overcharging in the first place, stating you will charge an extra surcharge meets with the answer they will move elsewhere, at the end of the day I want a system that is benefits my good client's. Ranting and Raving merely gets us closer to a wooden overcoat. Ideally I feel SA should probably be rejigged to a similar system to corporation tax filing but a) that ain't going to happen and b) most of them have a similar attitude. All I want is a nice quiet and hassle free life where the 20% of the pains (same people every year) do not give us 80% of the aggro when we least need it!
- Solicitors now, Accountants next 867 12
- Depression - HMRC penalties case won because of this illness. 560 20
- BA Cabin Crew Employment Expenses 1,469 5
- How much does the company pay 89 2
- Help with CGT please 91 3
- Lack of VAT Receipt 126 3
- Base value unavailable re. Capital Gain 310 6
- Benefit in Kind 311 6
- How do you find shareholders of a Cyprus Company ? 325 17
- Will I need to resign? 948 11
- Cocaine anyone? 676 11
- HMRC won't let me set up online DD for PAYE 259 4
- Anyone using BTC Accounts Production yet? 166 4
- Accounting for cash put into Ltd 205 3
- Allocation of Receipt from DWP 182 2
- How come if you claim benefits you are not entitled to you either have to pay a 50% penalty or are sent to court and either fined or sent to prison (sometimes suspended) and end up with a criminal record. 730 13
- Personal pension 456 9
- Business rates consultancy 275 4
- Wrong tax code 197 6
- SELLING A PROPERTY at LOSS/PROFIT - CAP GAINS ALLOWANCE 119 2
- Hive up 523
- Accounting referance change & deficient accounts. 479
- corporate hierarchy 458
- Advice - 302
- Anyone had HMRC refusing to act on EPS database glitch? 249
- WWOOFers 246
- Art Gallery - Splitting a property between business and personal use 225
- Tax liabilities in USA for warehoused products 202
- The booking.com con 193
- Cocaine anyone? 174