How do you do it?
Before Self Assessment came in I had no problems with filing Tax Returns and my turnover was virtually the same every month. Then the Chancellor stood up and said he was going to simplify the tax system and I had visions of early retirement. Now we have the dreaded 31st January deadline. All my client's seem to think they are my only client so if they roll up in late January with a big grin on their face and say "I know I promised to let you have it earlier this year BUT with this and that I have just not got round to doing it.... BUT it will be early next year!!!!!!!"
HMRC seem to think the way forward is to issue penalties but all their threats seem to be landing on deaf ears.
Business would be great if we could get the information in early - HMRC think is us lot stock piling the returns - I wish it was. So what is the sucessful way of getting the client to shift his (or her) backside and the question is WHAT DO YOU DO?
Obviously there has to be a balance, offering discounts gives the impression you are overcharging in the first place, stating you will charge an extra surcharge meets with the answer they will move elsewhere, at the end of the day I want a system that is benefits my good client's. Ranting and Raving merely gets us closer to a wooden overcoat. Ideally I feel SA should probably be rejigged to a similar system to corporation tax filing but a) that ain't going to happen and b) most of them have a similar attitude. All I want is a nice quiet and hassle free life where the 20% of the pains (same people every year) do not give us 80% of the aggro when we least need it!
- Scratch Head 302 1
- Year end 232 2
- US/UK Dual Citizenship 308 13
- A little knowledge 174 4
- Clothing 609 19
- Investment properties/freehold land 137 6
- Money laundering and can accountants be sued by clients if they make a report 1,268 18
- Parent and subsidiary... 169 5
- Identity check problem 1,499 14
- No tax returns for 6 year 145 1
- Capital allowances on Software 227 2
- Designated sole Residence 206 4
- Trading Losses - 3 Year Carry Back 109 3
- Company director and KIT days 124 1
- client can't/won't pay 2,186 50
- Anybody still doing returns? 873 34
- Digita in the cloud 78 1
- Change to PAYE TAX CODE 243 7
- IHT and US resident 126 2
- Tax relief when working away 90 1
- Form MR01 (Particulars of a charge) - does this need to be filed if you remortgage with the same lender? 957
- Underpaid VAT assessment and relation to SATR 683
- Did you realise Google will not patch android exploit ... 630
- Latest phishing scam 607
- Cashback for opening business bank acct = trading income? 445
- Auto Enrolment Questions Answered 330
- Loan benefit after person ceases as director/employee 261
- Sabbatical payments 221
- Negligible Value Claim 200
- Still Christmas at HMRC? 199