How do you do it?
Before Self Assessment came in I had no problems with filing Tax Returns and my turnover was virtually the same every month. Then the Chancellor stood up and said he was going to simplify the tax system and I had visions of early retirement. Now we have the dreaded 31st January deadline. All my client's seem to think they are my only client so if they roll up in late January with a big grin on their face and say "I know I promised to let you have it earlier this year BUT with this and that I have just not got round to doing it.... BUT it will be early next year!!!!!!!"
HMRC seem to think the way forward is to issue penalties but all their threats seem to be landing on deaf ears.
Business would be great if we could get the information in early - HMRC think is us lot stock piling the returns - I wish it was. So what is the sucessful way of getting the client to shift his (or her) backside and the question is WHAT DO YOU DO?
Obviously there has to be a balance, offering discounts gives the impression you are overcharging in the first place, stating you will charge an extra surcharge meets with the answer they will move elsewhere, at the end of the day I want a system that is benefits my good client's. Ranting and Raving merely gets us closer to a wooden overcoat. Ideally I feel SA should probably be rejigged to a similar system to corporation tax filing but a) that ain't going to happen and b) most of them have a similar attitude. All I want is a nice quiet and hassle free life where the 20% of the pains (same people every year) do not give us 80% of the aggro when we least need it!
- Capital Gain? 413 11
- IHT Query 72 2
- Reversing out RTI 125 5
- When should i raise VAT invoice after pro-forma payment received? 299 9
- Abandoning accountancy membership in order to operate as a sole trader 854 22
- Gift or Capital Gain? 306 8
- Sage instant bank rec - is it possible to clear past transactions and reconcile from a given month? 275 6
- BrightPay 618 18
- Classic cars investment 244 7
- Are Court and tribunal Judges honest/commit fruad ? 239 3
- Client charged VAT by US supplier 326 7
- What are CIS subcontractor clients worth to you ? 352 7
- New Company - Corp Tax Period 275 9
- Fees for dealing with auto-enrolment 276 2
- H&W company 258 3
- VAT on sale of Vehicle 213 3
- tax teatment of index linked mortgage repayment 175 2
- How much?? (ACCA rules on practice insurance) 198 1
- Does anyone use a cloud based payroll software 812 32
- VAT silly question 2,418 56
- Benchmarking 498
- Possible Partnership? 444
- Tax and accounting treatment on long lease granted from freehold 416
- Lunatics in charge of the asylum - Bluestone 416
- Old Books for a 'NON' Client 362
- Purchase of property freehold - capitalisation of costs 217
- Growing Limited Company concerned about assets if something goes wrong 213
- Clubs and Taxable Income 205
- Income tax on foreign dividends 196
- Subsistence and hotel expenses 190