How easy is it to get a gross certificate?
I have a client who works in the Construction Industry and has, up until now, only worked for private individuals - however, he now has a contract with a company who want to deduct 20% from his income.
The amounts we are talking about are quite large so he would prefer to be paid gross - so I called HMRC and they said no problem, the director needs to call the CIS helpline and a gross certificate can be issued after going through a few questions - sounds easy.
However, the client has called HMRC today and spoke to what it sounds like was quite a nasty piece of work and was told things like 'surely a director should know this sort of information' and 'how basic do you want it to be?' which, if this is true, is surely quite insulting!
In the end my client put the phone down on the guy and is no nearer getting a gross certificate - I know that he needs to satisfy the 'turnover test' but seeing as his turnover is nearly #250k he should do that!
Can anyone offer any help or advice in this situation?
- Land Rover Discovery 3.0 SDV6 255 Comm Auto 2 seat 230 6
- Setting up PAYE scheme without UTR 236 8
- CIMA at the age of 35?? 433 8
- Free project management software with Gantt charts, preferably on-line 190 1
- Share transfer question 308 16
- If you've had any issues posting: Please read this 540 10
- The stupidity continues 106 2
- New Employers Helpline 140 3
- Overlap relief 728 19
- HMRC & daft penalty 2,309 17
- Budget 2015 - take two 196 3
- CIS Contractor has not issued tax deduction certificate to client 193 4
- VAT Query 198 2
- Sacked my first client 673 14
- Do you have to declare business expenditure on a personal credit card on your P11D? 422 9
- Accounts note disclosure - Directors 258 4
- CIS. Why is it so complicated? 2,274 24
- Director needs to withdraw 45k lump sum from company 624 11
- Trades and deadlines 165 3
- How to pay national insurance 652 18
- Has anyone been affected by the RBS payment breakdown? 427
- Straight line write off of Purchase Goodwill ??? 422
- WIP Software 288
- FRS 102 compliant illustrative accounts for an insurance company 284
- No payroll scheme in place 220
- CGT, PPR and transfer of equity to spouse. 219
- Software recommendations 205
- Do subcontractors on work for residential (student accomodation) construction 199
- Is there anything wrong with this? 189
- Small Part Disposal of Property 172