How easy is it to get a gross certificate?
I have a client who works in the Construction Industry and has, up until now, only worked for private individuals - however, he now has a contract with a company who want to deduct 20% from his income.
The amounts we are talking about are quite large so he would prefer to be paid gross - so I called HMRC and they said no problem, the director needs to call the CIS helpline and a gross certificate can be issued after going through a few questions - sounds easy.
However, the client has called HMRC today and spoke to what it sounds like was quite a nasty piece of work and was told things like 'surely a director should know this sort of information' and 'how basic do you want it to be?' which, if this is true, is surely quite insulting!
In the end my client put the phone down on the guy and is no nearer getting a gross certificate - I know that he needs to satisfy the 'turnover test' but seeing as his turnover is nearly #250k he should do that!
Can anyone offer any help or advice in this situation?
- Non VAT invoices 141 3
- Time to ditch Sage? 154 2
- CT600 - Credit balance in expenses? 246 8
- Travel is part allowable if combined with personal holiday 138 2
- Do you use commercial software for Self Assessment tax returns? 275 8
- Client in dispute with Customer over cancellation charge 1,361 32
- Fees 165 1
- Correcting earlier year CT600s 240 5
- ACCA Special Business Resolutions... 195 2
- Form 17 Download 109 1
- Claiming VAT on car lease 541 28
- Small hotel - food for personal use 370 4
- HMRC Information notice 986 24
- Recommendations for online payroll software 268 3
- Accountant Specialization. 375 5
- Accounting Web - What is happening? 1,753 42
- Sage Line 50 172 3
- Off topic slightly - any football fans out there? 187 1
- Can my company contibute more than 40000 to my pension in a tax year? 452 6
- CWF1 - is it still required?? 395 7
- Chart of account segments; Balance sheet vs P&L 759
- Any knowledge of salesorder.com 412
- Could and would anyone here carry out a hot file review of some non statutory audit work please? 363
- Electric Car 298
- S222 Charge 244
- Corporation tax penalties and fines on the CT600 204
- IP trans to holding company 195
- Software to Deal with Amazon and Ebay Sales 183
- AIA 178
- Best way to convert Sage data to VT Transaction+ 177