How easy is it to get a gross certificate?
I have a client who works in the Construction Industry and has, up until now, only worked for private individuals - however, he now has a contract with a company who want to deduct 20% from his income.
The amounts we are talking about are quite large so he would prefer to be paid gross - so I called HMRC and they said no problem, the director needs to call the CIS helpline and a gross certificate can be issued after going through a few questions - sounds easy.
However, the client has called HMRC today and spoke to what it sounds like was quite a nasty piece of work and was told things like 'surely a director should know this sort of information' and 'how basic do you want it to be?' which, if this is true, is surely quite insulting!
In the end my client put the phone down on the guy and is no nearer getting a gross certificate - I know that he needs to satisfy the 'turnover test' but seeing as his turnover is nearly #250k he should do that!
Can anyone offer any help or advice in this situation?
- Any Scottish members out there? 6,245 230
- Being Tax relevant 355 3
- 50% Shareholder & Director stealing money from the business 97 2
- FIFA game and making money 76 2
- Client has never prepared tax returns 316 2
- Kind of shares to take in an LTD 94 2
- Recycle old study books 397 10
- Tax investigation pending 1,371 8
- Trademark Fun 244 7
- CIS paid on behalf of a limited company 76 2
- Distribution on cessation of trade 225 4
- Anti Money Laundering Checks 149 1
- Changing font size in VT Transaction+ 223 6
- What's your best practice shortcut or 'hack'? 1,530 38
- Can I strike off a company by filing DS01 online? 233 2
- VAT Fuel Scale Charge for Fuel on Private/Personal Car 195 3
- Subsistence - god I hate it! 715 14
- How to issue a loan correctly? 238 2
- Would Director's dividends on non-voting C shares risk being classed as "earnings" for NIC purposes? 200 1
- Share for share exchange 175 3
- Raiders of the Lost Tax File 1,062
- Chartered Accountant in County Down N.Ireland 344
- IPP (International Pension Plan) income 291
- National Insurance 246
- valuation of intangible asset FRS10 and FRS20 226
- Joint construction arrangement CIS and VAT 224
- Cass 5 FCA Client Money Software recomendation 210
- Payments on account coded out?? 204
- Non Resident 164
- Franchise income and costs 153