How easy is it to get a gross certificate?
I have a client who works in the Construction Industry and has, up until now, only worked for private individuals - however, he now has a contract with a company who want to deduct 20% from his income.
The amounts we are talking about are quite large so he would prefer to be paid gross - so I called HMRC and they said no problem, the director needs to call the CIS helpline and a gross certificate can be issued after going through a few questions - sounds easy.
However, the client has called HMRC today and spoke to what it sounds like was quite a nasty piece of work and was told things like 'surely a director should know this sort of information' and 'how basic do you want it to be?' which, if this is true, is surely quite insulting!
In the end my client put the phone down on the guy and is no nearer getting a gross certificate - I know that he needs to satisfy the 'turnover test' but seeing as his turnover is nearly #250k he should do that!
Can anyone offer any help or advice in this situation?
- Tax Allowance on University Course 264 2
- MS Surface Pro 3 230 5
- VAT on cashback card handling fee 163 3
- Excel: MATCH does not match two apparently identical cells 97 2
- Letter from HMRC telling me client passed away 2,029 28
- Company Pension Contributions 2013/14 308 11
- Does anybody still use a Filofax? 678 21
- What is the reasoning behind HMRC letter re high income child benefit charge? 582 10
- We accountants are not the only ones!! 675 4
- Your fondest calculator memories 1,267 45
- practice planning 218 3
- Accounts Software 746 19
- Goodwill Valuation Prior to April 2002, with the intention of selling on due to personal changes 510 14
- Dividend Vouchers 402 5
- Gift to employee 433 14
- Profit accruing in fiduciary or representative capacity 188 3
- HMRC Penalties - are they enforceable? 1,145 37
- Child and Working Tax Credits and sudden increase in investment income - does this trigger a claw back? 212 3
- Anybody have that old ACCA Student Training Record (STR1) 177 1
- Question re Career choice... 1,701 10
- DTR : TIOPA 2010 Section 42 499
- CTA study material 475
- Sect 102 TMA 1970 348
- Pre incorp expenses 337
- Relief on French Tax Deposit? 282
- Anyone have clients that use Pay4Later to offer customers credit? 275
- What is the tax position if I am working overseas but via a UK agency? 220
- Gift Aid after 5 April, before 31 Jan - Tax Credits 176
- Taxation of partners in an LLP following new rules 150
- Employment related securities question 137