How easy is it to get a gross certificate?
I have a client who works in the Construction Industry and has, up until now, only worked for private individuals - however, he now has a contract with a company who want to deduct 20% from his income.
The amounts we are talking about are quite large so he would prefer to be paid gross - so I called HMRC and they said no problem, the director needs to call the CIS helpline and a gross certificate can be issued after going through a few questions - sounds easy.
However, the client has called HMRC today and spoke to what it sounds like was quite a nasty piece of work and was told things like 'surely a director should know this sort of information' and 'how basic do you want it to be?' which, if this is true, is surely quite insulting!
In the end my client put the phone down on the guy and is no nearer getting a gross certificate - I know that he needs to satisfy the 'turnover test' but seeing as his turnover is nearly #250k he should do that!
Can anyone offer any help or advice in this situation?
- Yorkshire Day 489 33
- Do I need a smartphone? 1,633 53
- Deleted question? 591 15
- SMP reclaimable by employer 239 6
- inflation rate year on year 23 1
- Self Assessment Tax Return Required ???? 243 8
- Company no longer showing on Companies House web site 318 8
- EU VAT Registration Thresholds 137 6
- Subcontractor and CIS Deductions made by Contractor 333 15
- Entrepreneurs relief sale of business to two different buyers?? 64 1
- E-Magazines and pdfs 135 3
- Late annual return 191 2
- Flat rate VAT 353 8
- corporation tax 469 5
- Credit card receipts vs VAT receipts 2,129 29
- Dividend dates 677 13
- Company Limited Liability vs Public Liability Insruance 127 2
- Companies House change of shareholding 582 16
- Agent help line - long queues? 193 3
- Company Director In Prison 633 13
- Have you staged yet for auto enrolment? 568
- Cancelled 454
- Cancelled 379
- SAGE Payroll Data for Import to MS Dynamics AX 370
- Free-standing washing machine - unfurnished lettings 350
- Probiz 349
- Phishing emails purporting to be from CIPFA? 252
- Is this UK incapacity benefit taxable in UK or Jersey? 228
- Another HMRC computer glitch? 221
- More spam 179