How easy is it to get a gross certificate?
I have a client who works in the Construction Industry and has, up until now, only worked for private individuals - however, he now has a contract with a company who want to deduct 20% from his income.
The amounts we are talking about are quite large so he would prefer to be paid gross - so I called HMRC and they said no problem, the director needs to call the CIS helpline and a gross certificate can be issued after going through a few questions - sounds easy.
However, the client has called HMRC today and spoke to what it sounds like was quite a nasty piece of work and was told things like 'surely a director should know this sort of information' and 'how basic do you want it to be?' which, if this is true, is surely quite insulting!
In the end my client put the phone down on the guy and is no nearer getting a gross certificate - I know that he needs to satisfy the 'turnover test' but seeing as his turnover is nearly #250k he should do that!
Can anyone offer any help or advice in this situation?
- Real names 353 14
- Legal Advice Needed Bank Account Blocked 71 1
- Peer to Peer lending 53 4
- Clarification over - VAT Box 8 - Flat rate scheme 63 3
- Well well well 154 1
- Dividend payment date 1,816 32
- Use of aliases 684 19
- Any Benefit in Kind when obliged to attend a dinner? 105 1
- Capital Gains Tax 46 2
- Accounting Crew 858 20
- What's the plural? 609 13
- Exactly which business miles can I claim from my employer? 290 12
- Splitting hairs with a national firm 457 5
- What are options for non CA firm 1,358 17
- No VAT returns submitted since registration 75 1
- Capital allowances 196 4
- Who owns the data 112 1
- Builder - Roll over relief 368 16
- Studying accountant has hit a brick wall - help me! 2,112 19
- Director salary from company limited by guarantee 153 5
- Proposed Amendments to IAS 1 566
- Property exchange - 8-year legal delay following fall-out 426
- Accounting for Insurance Premium Financing 324
- IFA incorporation 299
- Mortgage interest claim on Buy to let hic up 291
- Can the receivers fees be allowed for tax? 280
- Moving into own BTL property - allowable costs 246
- SAGE Payroll Data for Import to MS Dynamics AX 232
- Will Ni be payable on the salary I receive abroad ? 220
- Sorry ignore me 203