How easy is it to get a gross certificate?
I have a client who works in the Construction Industry and has, up until now, only worked for private individuals - however, he now has a contract with a company who want to deduct 20% from his income.
The amounts we are talking about are quite large so he would prefer to be paid gross - so I called HMRC and they said no problem, the director needs to call the CIS helpline and a gross certificate can be issued after going through a few questions - sounds easy.
However, the client has called HMRC today and spoke to what it sounds like was quite a nasty piece of work and was told things like 'surely a director should know this sort of information' and 'how basic do you want it to be?' which, if this is true, is surely quite insulting!
In the end my client put the phone down on the guy and is no nearer getting a gross certificate - I know that he needs to satisfy the 'turnover test' but seeing as his turnover is nearly #250k he should do that!
Can anyone offer any help or advice in this situation?
- Share premium or Directors Loan 756 31
- Enquiry into tax return - how co-operative would you be? 375 8
- Halloween - do you celebrate it? 1,432 47
- Interest on HMRC contract settlement 171 3
- Goodwill gesture for providing work 449 12
- VAT reconciliation and VAT return on Sage 122 3
- What would you do in this situation? 187 5
- Filing a P87 (professional fees) before year end. 143 2
- Recommendations for payroll/AE software? 619 13
- More HMRC on gov.uk 648 11
- Rollover relief - when does gain crystallise in this situation? 98 1
- Offshore company transferring assets to a UK individual. 347 14
- Interest Free Loan - Salay Sacrifice? 249 4
- Research and development - repayment timescale 221 5
- Sole trader hid directorships. 407 6
- NOVA 558 1
- Clearing payments on account/ Sage 50 280 10
- Regional Development Grant 131 4
- Problem ex client...again.. 2,458 21
- Company car without a salary 246 2
- Bonus Bonds 393
- Insolvency and whistle blowing 384
- Transfer of funds into recently set up company 295
- TPR imposes first penalty notice fines 261
- Box 8 VAT Return - deposit payment 188
- Husband proposes to buy the car as Director unable to acess finance 184
- Company Car Lease 158
- Finance Lease 158
- Form 42 150
- Demerger Reserve 132