How easy is it to get a gross certificate?
I have a client who works in the Construction Industry and has, up until now, only worked for private individuals - however, he now has a contract with a company who want to deduct 20% from his income.
The amounts we are talking about are quite large so he would prefer to be paid gross - so I called HMRC and they said no problem, the director needs to call the CIS helpline and a gross certificate can be issued after going through a few questions - sounds easy.
However, the client has called HMRC today and spoke to what it sounds like was quite a nasty piece of work and was told things like 'surely a director should know this sort of information' and 'how basic do you want it to be?' which, if this is true, is surely quite insulting!
In the end my client put the phone down on the guy and is no nearer getting a gross certificate - I know that he needs to satisfy the 'turnover test' but seeing as his turnover is nearly #250k he should do that!
Can anyone offer any help or advice in this situation?
- Selling shares to Pension fund 36 1
- Client refusing to change basis period 121 3
- Sports Club - Option to tax 14 1
- Highlighting a line on cell click 37 4
- P60 Plain Paper from Sage Payroll 324 14
- Looking for free PDF creator 1,436 42
- Is an apprenticship classed as another job for PAYE RTI rules 161 1
- Moving from Moneysoft to another payroll product 487 12
- Increasing the personal allowance: A top priority? 1,950 65
- Companies House Authentication code 140 5
- RBS asking client to switch accountant 407 5
- Free accounts system for small business? 335 6
- Payroll Software Recommendations 288 9
- Suppliers for Online Card Payments? 643 15
- Rights of Alphabet shares 342 13
- Multiple bodies and practicing certificates 257 3
- Company paying out on guarantee 127 4
- Incorporation and goodwill 291 5
- Industrial & Provident Societies 401 4
- Domain name sale and limited company 279 1
- Xtuple 585
- Qtac payroll for bureau 410
- Confused - Professional Association a Mutual trader, or not? 355
- Director legal fees in loose connection to the company 228
- Tax on damages received 207
- Accounts consolidation spreadsheet 167
- Temporary non residence and CGT on non-UK asset 164
- PTP Software 148
- Accounting for commercial lease with break clause 141
- Software for Belgium Company 138