How easy is it to get a gross certificate?
I have a client who works in the Construction Industry and has, up until now, only worked for private individuals - however, he now has a contract with a company who want to deduct 20% from his income.
The amounts we are talking about are quite large so he would prefer to be paid gross - so I called HMRC and they said no problem, the director needs to call the CIS helpline and a gross certificate can be issued after going through a few questions - sounds easy.
However, the client has called HMRC today and spoke to what it sounds like was quite a nasty piece of work and was told things like 'surely a director should know this sort of information' and 'how basic do you want it to be?' which, if this is true, is surely quite insulting!
In the end my client put the phone down on the guy and is no nearer getting a gross certificate - I know that he needs to satisfy the 'turnover test' but seeing as his turnover is nearly #250k he should do that!
Can anyone offer any help or advice in this situation?
- I know ... 1,209 4
- What password safe app does anyone recommend? 678 18
- Tax on principal private residence 214 4
- extra 5p per mile for passengers 218 3
- What are the typical deductible expenses? 241 2
- recovery of S455 on informal winding 127 1
- Does unpaid share capital attract s455 liability? 215 4
- Personal pension contributions 245 4
- Claiming tax relief on goodwill 316 4
- RTI Filing 946 20
- Staff entertaining or not? 253 3
- Sole Trader Start Up- Employment Help 391 5
- CGT and PPR and Lettings Relief? 213 4
- IR35 and working for an EU company 128 1
- Shareholder Loan write off 449 21
- Getting advice from HMRC 652 14
- Tax calc and NIC 214 2
- How long is filing an FPS meant to take ? 1,834 29
- German wanting to pay UK tax 354 3
- Employment allowance and service companies (outside IR35) 424 13
- Residential Property Purchase Above £750K 699
- Using Sage with Sofa Categories 469
- One man Company and closing payroll scheme as none paid 307
- Does anyone have an unwanted ICAEW wooden plaque? 270
- Goods shipped inter EU and VAT Reporting 242
- growth voucher supplier 216
- Sage 200 and Access Dimensions reviews 182
- VAT on Gaming Machines 168
- transferring simply accounting 2010 from xp to windows 7 156
- Papilio UK Equity Release Mortgages Ltd 155