How easy is it to get a gross certificate?
I have a client who works in the Construction Industry and has, up until now, only worked for private individuals - however, he now has a contract with a company who want to deduct 20% from his income.
The amounts we are talking about are quite large so he would prefer to be paid gross - so I called HMRC and they said no problem, the director needs to call the CIS helpline and a gross certificate can be issued after going through a few questions - sounds easy.
However, the client has called HMRC today and spoke to what it sounds like was quite a nasty piece of work and was told things like 'surely a director should know this sort of information' and 'how basic do you want it to be?' which, if this is true, is surely quite insulting!
In the end my client put the phone down on the guy and is no nearer getting a gross certificate - I know that he needs to satisfy the 'turnover test' but seeing as his turnover is nearly #250k he should do that!
Can anyone offer any help or advice in this situation?
- Dividend taxation 154 3
- VAT refund if only output tax on first claim 84 1
- Physiotherapist and vat and agency work ( one for Les Howard???) 152 2
- Allegedly ICAS most of us at 50 should pack up - Interesting 223 4
- Paying Son 524 17
- Tax Overlap Reporting 86 3
- Employers NI allowance 387 5
- HMRC accounting 118 1
- Love is in the air 90 2
- Buy to Let Property! Shell I buy or not? 397 4
- iris update 11.9.2 441 7
- HMRC Discovery powers 242 3
- Where to follow court cases/rulings 656 8
- Which time limits apply? 390 4
- Client Paperwork Retention? 424 10
- Exclusion from VAT Registration 200 4
- Appeal against penalty- error in SA tax return 316 3
- Just checking re PSA 259 1
- Reimbursing director travel costs 346 4
- Anyone else getting these HMRC letters? 1,595 7
- Interest paid - do new rules affect Tax Credits? 496
- DTA tie-breaker issue 294
- CGT for NOn UK residents 268
- Tax Implicatins on a Directors Loan 263
- Employer's pension contribution - need to be PAYE registered? 250
- What are the tax implications of overseas sales through a UK based company? 238
- Apprenticeship Levy 230
- profit or loss on furnishings and deed of trust 227
- Capital Gains personal representatives 209
- Tenants in Common - Actual % split not written down 203