How easy is it to get a gross certificate?
I have a client who works in the Construction Industry and has, up until now, only worked for private individuals - however, he now has a contract with a company who want to deduct 20% from his income.
The amounts we are talking about are quite large so he would prefer to be paid gross - so I called HMRC and they said no problem, the director needs to call the CIS helpline and a gross certificate can be issued after going through a few questions - sounds easy.
However, the client has called HMRC today and spoke to what it sounds like was quite a nasty piece of work and was told things like 'surely a director should know this sort of information' and 'how basic do you want it to be?' which, if this is true, is surely quite insulting!
In the end my client put the phone down on the guy and is no nearer getting a gross certificate - I know that he needs to satisfy the 'turnover test' but seeing as his turnover is nearly #250k he should do that!
Can anyone offer any help or advice in this situation?
- Allocation of income from property 567 20
- bookkeeping system 410 6
- Services by BVI Company for UK Company 48 1
- Sharing ODBC Excel Pivot Tables over network 104 2
- Company car in the LLP 73 1
- Sorry - another PPR question 114 1
- 64-8 problems 287 4
- flat rate scheme 1,771 37
- Are any of you members of The Institute of Financial Accountants - Accountnats certificate 861 11
- PPR relief - deemed residence? 306 9
- Unpaid share capital 187 2
- Bad debt receipt for dissolved company 126 1
- Private company division 261 3
- VAT Refunds 155 2
- Company van paid by director 299 3
- Hello 309 1
- Are you going to Tick and Bash on 21 May? 1,831 51
- Inputting previous months data into PAYE tools 201 4
- Employer reference not recognised? 195 2
- Business trips - director and family 312 2