How easy is it to get a gross certificate?
I have a client who works in the Construction Industry and has, up until now, only worked for private individuals - however, he now has a contract with a company who want to deduct 20% from his income.
The amounts we are talking about are quite large so he would prefer to be paid gross - so I called HMRC and they said no problem, the director needs to call the CIS helpline and a gross certificate can be issued after going through a few questions - sounds easy.
However, the client has called HMRC today and spoke to what it sounds like was quite a nasty piece of work and was told things like 'surely a director should know this sort of information' and 'how basic do you want it to be?' which, if this is true, is surely quite insulting!
In the end my client put the phone down on the guy and is no nearer getting a gross certificate - I know that he needs to satisfy the 'turnover test' but seeing as his turnover is nearly #250k he should do that!
Can anyone offer any help or advice in this situation?
- transferring from franchisee to ltd comapny 160 4
- Do I have grounds to dispute our accountant’s fees? 396 12
- Deferred Tax Asset & Liability 327 7
- Spousal transfer and PPR 532 17
- Performance measurement within accounting practice 306 7
- Capital allowances on taxis 113 1
- Is it worth being a limited company if already a higher rate taxpayer? 407 6
- Is my client risking reputational damage? 292 8
- Are Sales to Germany considered VAT Taxable turnover for HMRC? 124 2
- Where has Portia gone? 1,869 65
- New Client wants an Income Certificate for a Mortgage 915 21
- Can i reclaim tax if my fuel cost more than the AFR in a company car 217 3
- Sage line 50 payment before invoice date 204 11
- Best Tax / Accounts Production software 419 10
- Property Purchase in Daughters Name 349 9
- Merging my businesses 176 2
- Getting fees, getting harder? 3,742 73
- VAT on commercial property 179 3
- Rogue Accountant 3,073 49
- deceased creditor 227 5
- Services via intermediaries and new HMRC reporting requirements 787
- RTI - duplicate employee record 548
- Pensions Regulator 446
- How hard is it to reduce a code? 407
- Sage Vat return box 2 313
- Sanzar 310
- Portia ... Where art thou 295
- Digital marketing focus group 294
- How do you do it 286
- Kashflow balance sheet difference 266