How easy is it to get a gross certificate?
I have a client who works in the Construction Industry and has, up until now, only worked for private individuals - however, he now has a contract with a company who want to deduct 20% from his income.
The amounts we are talking about are quite large so he would prefer to be paid gross - so I called HMRC and they said no problem, the director needs to call the CIS helpline and a gross certificate can be issued after going through a few questions - sounds easy.
However, the client has called HMRC today and spoke to what it sounds like was quite a nasty piece of work and was told things like 'surely a director should know this sort of information' and 'how basic do you want it to be?' which, if this is true, is surely quite insulting!
In the end my client put the phone down on the guy and is no nearer getting a gross certificate - I know that he needs to satisfy the 'turnover test' but seeing as his turnover is nearly #250k he should do that!
Can anyone offer any help or advice in this situation?
- Builder Gifted Deposit and capital gains 522 21
- Settlement, or any other issues? 41 1
- another ir35!!!! 89 1
- Paint Manufacturer Flat Rate Scheme 66 3
- Buying blocks of fees 321 2
- Why do HMRC have a different FPS liability to the amount I sent? 663 10
- Practical Query: Entrepreneurs and PPR Reliefs 256 3
- Tax treatment of cashed in American Savings Plan 151 2
- Daily Penalties 2012/13 123 1
- IR35 & Managed Service Companies 244 1
- Previous accountant filed dormant accounts in error 98 1
- Wear and tear allowance 291 4
- Limited Company - Personal Bank Account 624 24
- Husband and Wife Holiday letting profit split 106 3
- tax insider 366 5
- Tax on sale of shares 81 2
- Amazon - digital book sales 218 2
- late payroll registration 91 1
- *Urgent pls advise * filing dormant accounts to Companies House 480 18
- Profit and Loss Account Adjustments 205 7
- Skandia using wrong address 1,421
- Nil Rate Band Trust - index linked debt by way of charge over property 730
- Any views 665
- HMRC Employers Diary 497
- International interest certificate 412
- Stamp Duty on share for share exchange 371
- Sale of business 322
- NOVA 230
- Advertising services? 222
- IRIS Open Books problem 212