How easy is it to get a gross certificate?
I have a client who works in the Construction Industry and has, up until now, only worked for private individuals - however, he now has a contract with a company who want to deduct 20% from his income.
The amounts we are talking about are quite large so he would prefer to be paid gross - so I called HMRC and they said no problem, the director needs to call the CIS helpline and a gross certificate can be issued after going through a few questions - sounds easy.
However, the client has called HMRC today and spoke to what it sounds like was quite a nasty piece of work and was told things like 'surely a director should know this sort of information' and 'how basic do you want it to be?' which, if this is true, is surely quite insulting!
In the end my client put the phone down on the guy and is no nearer getting a gross certificate - I know that he needs to satisfy the 'turnover test' but seeing as his turnover is nearly #250k he should do that!
Can anyone offer any help or advice in this situation?
- Taxfiler - SA100 - More efficient? 653 5
- See you all on the other side 698 6
- 12Pay 466 2
- dividends 628 2
- R&D 328 1
- Quarterly Reporting - The Logistics 1,191 17
- Auto enrolment contribution rates 441 3
- How long are you waiting for appeal reply 421 4
- Borrowing money to loan to company 377 1
- Mother as Guarantor for Son's mortgage 549 5
- Seeking a tax case 646 9
- When do we qualify for state pension? 509 4
- Companies house strike off 566 3
- Tax treatment of alterations to property 436 2
- Moving to the cloud 749 9
- Iris open space/doc exchange for SATRs 217 2
- How much to charge for payroll? 906 16
- Unincorporated charity transfer to CIO 214 4
- BTC vs Digita 1,093 29
- Has anyone tried calling HMRC to get tax on dividends put in code? 508 4
- HMRC Joint Filing 563
- Capital Contribution towards a company car 420
- Capital Reduction & Impact on EIS Shares 373
- IRIS and FRS 102 355
- Capitalising Finance Lease 328
- USA help 318
- Marginal rates of tax 303
- National Minimum Wage issue on Directors joining a Workplace Pension 298
- Dormant company accounts under FRS 102 294
- Class 2 NI 284