How easy is it to get a gross certificate?
I have a client who works in the Construction Industry and has, up until now, only worked for private individuals - however, he now has a contract with a company who want to deduct 20% from his income.
The amounts we are talking about are quite large so he would prefer to be paid gross - so I called HMRC and they said no problem, the director needs to call the CIS helpline and a gross certificate can be issued after going through a few questions - sounds easy.
However, the client has called HMRC today and spoke to what it sounds like was quite a nasty piece of work and was told things like 'surely a director should know this sort of information' and 'how basic do you want it to be?' which, if this is true, is surely quite insulting!
In the end my client put the phone down on the guy and is no nearer getting a gross certificate - I know that he needs to satisfy the 'turnover test' but seeing as his turnover is nearly #250k he should do that!
Can anyone offer any help or advice in this situation?
- HMRC request for Sage Back Up 2,031 22
- VAT Option to tax 345 7
- Entrepreneurs Relief 70 3
- VAT BOX 6 & 7 errors 32 2
- Sage payroll 622 13
- Consortium relief and bad debts 79 4
- PAYE coding notice - deliberate misstatement 972 17
- Late P800 demand shows later year? 245 13
- Laptop purchase 1,548 21
- CVA guidance 104 2
- BEST CPD COURSE 96 1
- Total cost of employment 272 3
- Accountancy software for an imac 258 6
- PAYE Coding Notices 522 10
- directors loan movements and repayments 240 3
- VAT registration for "co-operative" formed to provide flood defences 66 1
- Business travel apps 76 2
- EIS - connection through employment 65 1
- Weely paid employees 340 4
- Payroll - Previous year not filed 134 2
- Residential Property Purchase Above £750K 891
- Using Sage with Sofa Categories 624
- Free Tax Legislation? 382
- Director Loan account operation 380
- Non-Resident Director - UK Tax Position? 326
- transferring simply accounting 2010 from xp to windows 7 307
- Understanding the implications of January 2015 VAT changes for downloads on threshold for VAT registration 303
- Sage 200 and Access Dimensions reviews 276
- Paye procedures for CVA 208
- rent-a-room allowance for part of the year 200