How easy is it to get a gross certificate?
I have a client who works in the Construction Industry and has, up until now, only worked for private individuals - however, he now has a contract with a company who want to deduct 20% from his income.
The amounts we are talking about are quite large so he would prefer to be paid gross - so I called HMRC and they said no problem, the director needs to call the CIS helpline and a gross certificate can be issued after going through a few questions - sounds easy.
However, the client has called HMRC today and spoke to what it sounds like was quite a nasty piece of work and was told things like 'surely a director should know this sort of information' and 'how basic do you want it to be?' which, if this is true, is surely quite insulting!
In the end my client put the phone down on the guy and is no nearer getting a gross certificate - I know that he needs to satisfy the 'turnover test' but seeing as his turnover is nearly #250k he should do that!
Can anyone offer any help or advice in this situation?
- Career in Practice 85 2
- Relevant life plan 332 8
- Limited Company expenses 357 8
- Physiotherapy And Vat 183 6
- Telemarketing 147 4
- 6th March RTI deadline. Can FPS be submitted on 6th March? 126 1
- Awkward shareholder (sister) 101 1
- New tax codes for ex-employees 169 3
- how to value rental space 81 3
- Directors loan - no longer a director 315 4
- NHS PENSIONS XFER ABROAD 61 1
- We contribute a percentage of employees' salaries to a pension scheme set up by them - do we need to get involved in auto-enrolment? 450 5
- Output tax for retailer 257 6
- Partnership Tax Return £100 penalty-was a tax return due in this case? 444 11
- Budget 2015 predictions 159 4
- Failure to operate PAYE 1,931 32
- Pass-through costs - show gross or net under UK GAAP / IFRS? 95 1
- Non domicile swiss bank 124 2
- Husband Wife let property 117 1
- Tennants in Common - Changing % Share 99 1
- Possible Partnership? 593
- Tax and accounting treatment on long lease granted from freehold 499
- New Fangled Penalties 404
- Clubs and Taxable Income 328
- Purchase of property freehold - capitalisation of costs 296
- Closed PAYE schemes and auto enrolment 248
- Loans to other companies 242
- Lenovo – Superfish & Komodia – is your PC vulnerable 210
- Outsource Data Entry 203
- Moving away from CCH software 197