How easy is it to get a gross certificate?
I have a client who works in the Construction Industry and has, up until now, only worked for private individuals - however, he now has a contract with a company who want to deduct 20% from his income.
The amounts we are talking about are quite large so he would prefer to be paid gross - so I called HMRC and they said no problem, the director needs to call the CIS helpline and a gross certificate can be issued after going through a few questions - sounds easy.
However, the client has called HMRC today and spoke to what it sounds like was quite a nasty piece of work and was told things like 'surely a director should know this sort of information' and 'how basic do you want it to be?' which, if this is true, is surely quite insulting!
In the end my client put the phone down on the guy and is no nearer getting a gross certificate - I know that he needs to satisfy the 'turnover test' but seeing as his turnover is nearly #250k he should do that!
Can anyone offer any help or advice in this situation?
- Investment from Friend 58 6
- Grammar, spelling and silly questions 771 29
- client can't/won't pay 1,574 29
- Capital Gains Relief 100 4
- Identity check problem 1,229 13
- A Director of a Ltd Company let a general Manager run the company, and if anything goes wrong the general manager is responsible? 149 3
- Business Set up cost 94 1
- Advice on letting a client go ? 643 12
- Aged Debtor 57 1
- Taxcalc , the hub of the problem 948 34
- Loss carry back in Taxfiler 72 3
- blank - ignore 493 8
- Part disposal of shareholding with CGT loss attached 80 2
- calculate mortgage interest 352 5
- Do we have to register for VAT? 446 9
- Companies House praise 225 1
- Tax Penalty overreaction 2,069 14
- Most cr*p bank account ever? 168 1
- Directors NIC's 184 5
- VAT field when booking bills for organisations on VAT FRS 75 1
- Form MR01 (Particulars of a charge) - does this need to be filed if you remortgage with the same lender? 875
- Underpaid VAT assessment and relation to SATR 572
- Did you realise Google will not patch android exploit ... 535
- Latest phishing scam 469
- Entrepreneurs' relief 412
- Cashback for opening business bank acct = trading income? 339
- Corporate LLP with 30 June Year end - How to record on SA800? 317
- Auto Enrolment Questions Answered 240
- Penalties- On Tax Returns (New Regime) 232
- Loan benefit after person ceases as director/employee 163