How easy is it to get a gross certificate?
I have a client who works in the Construction Industry and has, up until now, only worked for private individuals - however, he now has a contract with a company who want to deduct 20% from his income.
The amounts we are talking about are quite large so he would prefer to be paid gross - so I called HMRC and they said no problem, the director needs to call the CIS helpline and a gross certificate can be issued after going through a few questions - sounds easy.
However, the client has called HMRC today and spoke to what it sounds like was quite a nasty piece of work and was told things like 'surely a director should know this sort of information' and 'how basic do you want it to be?' which, if this is true, is surely quite insulting!
In the end my client put the phone down on the guy and is no nearer getting a gross certificate - I know that he needs to satisfy the 'turnover test' but seeing as his turnover is nearly #250k he should do that!
Can anyone offer any help or advice in this situation?
- Suppliers for Online Card Payments? 244 5
- Capital Allowances on Furnished Holiday Lets Business 189 4
- SA302 282 6
- Go Cardless 331 9
- How to prove income for a mortgage if you have no SA302s 219 3
- Hmrc software 227 3
- Mehjoo 267 1
- What expenses can be claimed after a move to Cornwall? 113 1
- Hosted email exchange 174 5
- South African Government Pension 181 1
- Amazon Fees, Sage VAT/Tax code T20? 169 3
- Can anybody help withe the RTI end of year process? 291 4
- VAT Bad Debt Relief 310 13
- How long are you on hold- IRIS Payroll 246 7
- Childcare vouchers and final month payroll Qs 150 3
- Stopping trading and de-registering for VAT 289 7
- New Email Extensions 203 1
- Are HMRC cutting out Agents in tax investigations? 321 2
- Dental practice incorpration 157 1
- Audit rules 185 4
- Xtuple 511
- Qtac payroll for bureau 350
- Confused - Professional Association a Mutual trader, or not? 294
- Industrial & Provident Societies 285
- Data transfer from Sage Line 50 to VT Transaction+ 228
- VAT Payable on Expenses for Non-VAT Registered Ltd Co 183
- Why would HMRC offer to close an investigation by contract settlement 179
- Domain name sale and limited company 173
- CIS schemes 164
- Director legal fees in loose connection to the company 147