How important is your website.
I am setting up my own practice and I am somewhat torn over the importance of the company websites.
I trained at a 4 partner firm that has been around now for 100 years (passed from father to son etc) and I have discussed what work is generated by their website along with other similar practices. They said that they would be lucky if 10% of clients came through their website. Word of mouth is best ay to get work which I agree with. But is that what the market allows or is it because the website does not work. 80% of accountancy websites look exactly the same if you remove the logos. They are all 5 pages long include, about us, services, links, contacts page and have some sort of tax feed newsletter attached to them along with professional associations the firm has like Sage Etc. For me none of this would make me want to sign up with them, If I am looking for an accountant I have a good idea what they do, so listing the services they offer is of no value unless they offer a specilaist service no other firm offers. How many people have won a client because they have "a cracking taxfeed newsletter" on their site, in fact has anyone ever commented on your newsfeed, if not why do you pay for it? A partner I know well said his website cost £10k but had generated little to no extra business. So is it possible to develop a website that will work and generate contacts or would the money be spent on other areas. For me the website just needs to generate a contact but this style of website does not do that
On the opposite end of the scale there seems to be emerging firms who trade mostly on line such as www.boox.co.uk and the www.applauseaccountancy.co.uk website i mentioned on another post. These sites are very up front and advertise a fixed cost solution depending on size of business, and i would imagine probably never meet a lot a of their clients face to face. I would be concerned about going down this route as I think a strength I have is that people trust me and I value the face to face meeting. I would be concerned that this style would remove that opportunity of face to face meetings and you would develop higher numbers of clients on low ends fees with little scope to sell extras to them, and clients who are cost driven with little loyalty to you.
If you were starting up today what sort of money would you invest in your website. Would you go for the standard accounting site, an up front selling website or somewhere in between. Also what sort of monet would you invest in it to get a return.
I appreciate word of mouth is king, but it is also slow when you first start I am keen to kick start my new firm with as any many referrals as I can handle.
What percentage of your client base have you signed up through your website.
I welcome your comments/experiences.
- Error in 11-12 return done by previous accountant, do we have to offer them to correct or can I do and client reclaim cost 218 8
- Is there difference between when you state you will provide a specific provison and you will make a specific provision of £3200 against a partcular debt? 210 8
- Whats the best way to keep my accounts? 649 19
- Tax Return Deadlines 205 4
- Year end 121 2
- accruals and prepayments please help anyone out there 550 21
- How would you account for warranty? 135 4
- LLP - Member leaving 112 5
- Sage 50 Accounts - Opening Bank Account Balance Posted to Nominal 9998 Suspense Account 388 22
- Sweet Tooth 157 6
- Personal returns late information - when to get tough? 1,029 13
- CA self-employed income below personal allowance 169 2
- trading or dormant 107 2
- Goodwill ammortisation 103 1
- tax credits 126 5
- When will Private Principal Residence Relief cut will start? 566 11
- Can rental income ever be trading income? 266 3
- Benefit In Kind Accommodation 112 1
- Foreign income for self employed 129 1
- Sage help...written off bad debt, done year end now bad payer wants to start to pay 99 2
- Desperately seeking Susan, Sam or anyone with any other name 867
- Experience with Islamic investor following Sharia-compliant rules? 515
- Darwinpay Partnership Assessment 328
- How to format a stock book 306
- Tax efficient holding company structure 243
- S464A Charge to tax: conferring benefit & BIK 237
- Investment property company accounts template 224
- Outlook 2007 with business contact manager not loading on new laptop 218
- auto enrolment - calculation of first pension deduction 189
- RTI and Annual Directors Salary 161