How to make 'friends' pay their fees
I recently had a 'friend' who would just not pay his fees. Whenever I gave him an invoice he said 'I will put this in my back pocket to remind me to pay it'
Needless to say he never did.
I took him to court and was awarded a decree against him, but he simply went bankrupt.
An AIB was appointed, and though it has been claimed that most creditors are unhappy with the results achieved by them, I would say I am more than unhappy.
It has taken him many months to establish the ownership of the residential house, in his name, his wife's name. or joint names.
But the final straw was when I learned that the bankrupt had taken certain assets of the business home with him for 'safe keeping' If he did this on his own, this should amount to theft. If he did it with the knowledge of the AIB, then I would feel that this is contrary to the ethics which state that an AIB should act in the best interests of creditors.
Have any members comments to make on this.
Finally, I would state that this had been a hard lesson, and all my contracts now state that no filing of any kind, wages, VAT or accounts will take place until all accounts rendered have been settled, and cheques cleared through the bank. There are no friends in business.
- Using home as clients registered address 42 2
- THEATRE SHOW - HIRE - VAT PAYABLE ON TICKET SALES 26 1
- How much does the company pay 635 29
- Childcare vouchers 304 4
- Van Benefit in Kind Query 145 4
- 10 Worst xmas presents for an accountant 194 2
- I have done a terrible thing 711 15
- HMRC property income enquiry 324 8
- Not paying accountant 1,841 46
- Cash basis VAT return 87 1
- VAT on Business Premises 87 2
- Section 165 TCGA 1992 - time limit? 63 1
- Consolidation Software 141 2
- Client being taken to court and really do not know what to do 465 11
- New Incorporations - ERTNAC hoax - anyone else seen this? 1,023 11
- Accountancy practices - are you closed over Christmas or do you let your staff take it off? 1,188 32
- Anyone else still working this week? 328 9
- LLp Profits 140 5
- two business from one premises 142 2
- AIA 255 16
- Accounting referance change & deficient accounts. 504
- corporate hierarchy 465
- Advice - 317
- Anyone had HMRC refusing to act on EPS database glitch? 267
- WWOOFers 259
- The booking.com con 240
- Art Gallery - Splitting a property between business and personal use 234
- Cocaine anyone? 219
- Tax liabilities in USA for warehoused products 215
- UK State pension paid in NZ 175