How to make 'friends' pay their fees
I recently had a 'friend' who would just not pay his fees. Whenever I gave him an invoice he said 'I will put this in my back pocket to remind me to pay it'
Needless to say he never did.
I took him to court and was awarded a decree against him, but he simply went bankrupt.
An AIB was appointed, and though it has been claimed that most creditors are unhappy with the results achieved by them, I would say I am more than unhappy.
It has taken him many months to establish the ownership of the residential house, in his name, his wife's name. or joint names.
But the final straw was when I learned that the bankrupt had taken certain assets of the business home with him for 'safe keeping' If he did this on his own, this should amount to theft. If he did it with the knowledge of the AIB, then I would feel that this is contrary to the ethics which state that an AIB should act in the best interests of creditors.
Have any members comments to make on this.
Finally, I would state that this had been a hard lesson, and all my contracts now state that no filing of any kind, wages, VAT or accounts will take place until all accounts rendered have been settled, and cheques cleared through the bank. There are no friends in business.
- VAT on part of a closed pub 188 12
- Foreign income on Self Assesment 242 2
- Fee agreed but client disagrees on amount 181 1
- Property versus Trade in a Ltd Company 169 5
- Dividend paid to non-shareholder 255 6
- Is anyone a member of National Accountancy Network? 90 1
- How do I clear transaction history - Sage 50 v9 167 3
- Dispensation pointless ? 304 5
- Whats the best way to keep my accounts? 204 6
- SME Direct Debit 678 11
- Accountant software 442 13
- Playstation 4 - Allowable expense or not? 2,034 23
- What aspects of accountancy/book-keeping most trouble people 198 3
- Accounting jobs in the UK 167 2
- CIS gross status review 124 1
- Notes needed for a new partner in an LLP 133 2
- Dividend payments to spouses 378 6
- Flat rate vat error 250 5
- Whats the best way to keep my accounts? 109 1
- When will Private Principal Residence Relief cut will start? 381 8
- Desperately seeking Susan, Sam or anyone with any other name 762
- Experience with Islamic investor following Sharia-compliant rules? 485
- Darwinpay Partnership Assessment 302
- How to format a stock book 266
- S464A Charge to tax: conferring benefit & BIK 215
- Tax efficient holding company structure 206
- Outlook 2007 with business contact manager not loading on new laptop 199
- Investment property company accounts template 192
- auto enrolment - calculation of first pension deduction 175
- Sage 50 Customer Statements and Running Balances 165