How to make 'friends' pay their fees
I recently had a 'friend' who would just not pay his fees. Whenever I gave him an invoice he said 'I will put this in my back pocket to remind me to pay it'
Needless to say he never did.
I took him to court and was awarded a decree against him, but he simply went bankrupt.
An AIB was appointed, and though it has been claimed that most creditors are unhappy with the results achieved by them, I would say I am more than unhappy.
It has taken him many months to establish the ownership of the residential house, in his name, his wife's name. or joint names.
But the final straw was when I learned that the bankrupt had taken certain assets of the business home with him for 'safe keeping' If he did this on his own, this should amount to theft. If he did it with the knowledge of the AIB, then I would feel that this is contrary to the ethics which state that an AIB should act in the best interests of creditors.
Have any members comments to make on this.
Finally, I would state that this had been a hard lesson, and all my contracts now state that no filing of any kind, wages, VAT or accounts will take place until all accounts rendered have been settled, and cheques cleared through the bank. There are no friends in business.
- Goodwill omitted from first years accounts 303 16
- Limited company buying a car 169 5
- Do I need to pay my accountant 114 1
- Buying Microsoft's Surface Pro 3 464 10
- Straightforward email correspondence or PDF letter attached to blank email? 564 6
- Course costs for retraining as a barrister 205 7
- Travel and Subsistence expenses while abroad 291 4
- How to post Sales figures in Sage50 Accounts (we use separate Sales ledger) 123 2
- ACCA practice certificates 500 5
- Limited company buying director's car 298 10
- Question on HMRC past taxes (+penalties) on non-resident 85 1
- Is it possible to change a client's trading address for Vat purposes online 118 1
- WC's and capital allowances 177 3
- Entrepeneurs relief 316 13
- Dress code 1,550 36
- Which company is best for online new company formation? 484 13
- CTA and Tolley's tax handbooks 265 6
- HMRC Seminar on Penalties - Did you last the course? 385 4
- CIC Tax - what is trading? 476 23
- What is the status of "Whistleblowing" these days - do you get rewarded? 204 4
- CTA study material 771
- Anyone have clients that use Pay4Later to offer customers credit? 483
- Raiders of the Lost Tax File 400
- Employment related securities question 310
- AIM Stocks and IHT 282
- Expat pension contributions? 260
- Tax Relief for overseas employees 259
- Trust for Employee 239
- Service Charge Accountant Career Options 187
- IPP (International Pension Plan) income 149