How to make 'friends' pay their fees
I recently had a 'friend' who would just not pay his fees. Whenever I gave him an invoice he said 'I will put this in my back pocket to remind me to pay it'
Needless to say he never did.
I took him to court and was awarded a decree against him, but he simply went bankrupt.
An AIB was appointed, and though it has been claimed that most creditors are unhappy with the results achieved by them, I would say I am more than unhappy.
It has taken him many months to establish the ownership of the residential house, in his name, his wife's name. or joint names.
But the final straw was when I learned that the bankrupt had taken certain assets of the business home with him for 'safe keeping' If he did this on his own, this should amount to theft. If he did it with the knowledge of the AIB, then I would feel that this is contrary to the ethics which state that an AIB should act in the best interests of creditors.
Have any members comments to make on this.
Finally, I would state that this had been a hard lesson, and all my contracts now state that no filing of any kind, wages, VAT or accounts will take place until all accounts rendered have been settled, and cheques cleared through the bank. There are no friends in business.
- Capital allowance vehicle exchange 181 7
- S162 and Capital Allowances 124 2
- Director leaving in month 1 99 2
- Ex Gratia payments 63 1
- HMRC chasing club for unpaid fees 241 3
- Unaudited accounts and an accountant’s certificate of confirmation 136 4
- Selling assets to yourself ? 183 3
- 24 Month Rule - New Employer 179 3
- Director's remuneration accrual 164 4
- IHT - clawback of BPR 44 1
- EIS - connection through employment 92 2
- HMRC Dispensation - How long does it last for? 240 3
- Electronically supplied services - B2B 48 1
- CIS and Close Company 87 2
- Correct tax & VAT treatment of local overnight expenses 225 4
- Secondment expenses 152 3
- VAT Option to tax 444 15
- Brain freeze - loss on disposal of company car 136 4
- Is VAT payable on insurance claims received ?? 122 3
- late vat registration and immediate deregistration 138 3
- Residential Property Purchase Above £750K 906
- Using Sage with Sofa Categories 637
- Free Tax Legislation? 401
- Director Loan account operation 396
- Understanding the implications of January 2015 VAT changes for downloads on threshold for VAT registration 331
- transferring simply accounting 2010 from xp to windows 7 318
- Sage 200 and Access Dimensions reviews 284
- rent-a-room allowance for part of the year 222
- Paye procedures for CVA 217
- HMRC Second Income Campaign - not so much a question as heads up 182