How to make 'friends' pay their fees
I recently had a 'friend' who would just not pay his fees. Whenever I gave him an invoice he said 'I will put this in my back pocket to remind me to pay it'
Needless to say he never did.
I took him to court and was awarded a decree against him, but he simply went bankrupt.
An AIB was appointed, and though it has been claimed that most creditors are unhappy with the results achieved by them, I would say I am more than unhappy.
It has taken him many months to establish the ownership of the residential house, in his name, his wife's name. or joint names.
But the final straw was when I learned that the bankrupt had taken certain assets of the business home with him for 'safe keeping' If he did this on his own, this should amount to theft. If he did it with the knowledge of the AIB, then I would feel that this is contrary to the ethics which state that an AIB should act in the best interests of creditors.
Have any members comments to make on this.
Finally, I would state that this had been a hard lesson, and all my contracts now state that no filing of any kind, wages, VAT or accounts will take place until all accounts rendered have been settled, and cheques cleared through the bank. There are no friends in business.
- Interprise software 71 1
- TAX, VAT and non-UK residence 498 19
- Charity accounting 259 6
- Outsourcing Payroll 81 1
- sage 103 3
- Separate Pay runs for salary and commission 151 4
- Bank Requesting clients' tax residence 1,049 13
- ATT Exam tips and study help 202 4
- NO SUCH THING AS UNQUALIED ACCOUNTANT 125 1
- FBI2 199 3
- Double entry 167 4
- Companies House 141 3
- Small house in garden 146 1
- THE PUBLIC SECTOR SUCKS 142 2
- Clients 920 18
- can a dormant company make an employer pension contribution? 288 12
- Manually amending PAYE Code Number in HMRC Basic PAYE Tools 147 5
- Accountants not providing all required information 276 4
- Director's personal expenses paid by the Company 310 5
- Sage 50 - How do I find the column headings when I export to CSV 130 5
- HMRC BENCHMARK EXPENSES 537
- write off loan or loan to equity swap or both 468
- EPS and CIS deductions 327
- Sole trade business in UK, but the owner works from EU 310
- Construction CIS LLP Company 300
- Stamp duty on house transfer between spouses 295
- Tax Investigation - Employee Travel 263
- Overdrawn director account 217
- LIVE: Budget aftermath webinar 204
- Services via intermediaries and new HMRC reporting requirements 199