How to make 'friends' pay their fees
I recently had a 'friend' who would just not pay his fees. Whenever I gave him an invoice he said 'I will put this in my back pocket to remind me to pay it'
Needless to say he never did.
I took him to court and was awarded a decree against him, but he simply went bankrupt.
An AIB was appointed, and though it has been claimed that most creditors are unhappy with the results achieved by them, I would say I am more than unhappy.
It has taken him many months to establish the ownership of the residential house, in his name, his wife's name. or joint names.
But the final straw was when I learned that the bankrupt had taken certain assets of the business home with him for 'safe keeping' If he did this on his own, this should amount to theft. If he did it with the knowledge of the AIB, then I would feel that this is contrary to the ethics which state that an AIB should act in the best interests of creditors.
Have any members comments to make on this.
Finally, I would state that this had been a hard lesson, and all my contracts now state that no filing of any kind, wages, VAT or accounts will take place until all accounts rendered have been settled, and cheques cleared through the bank. There are no friends in business.
- Do I need to register for VAT 76 8
- Compare 2 lists 1,693 31
- What's the Barmiest Reason A Client gave you for going? 2,157 21
- Exemption from CGT 317 3
- Amend a 2010/11 return 215 2
- Owner director gym membership 83 1
- Bookkeeping Rate of Pay 2,421 34
- Advanced SMP, but employee returns to work early 236 2
- Capital Gains 215 2
- VAT - Check on clients business 672 27
- Digital tax accounts - what do we expect? 124 2
- How to claim relief under a Double Taxation Agreement 236 4
- Is Xero payroll as rubbish as I suspect it is? 1,169 22
- ACCA Practising Certificate Holder 458 6
- Is cloud accounting actually pretty pants? 1,434 30
- Bankstream 843 20
- Transfer of a trade WITHOUT assets? 224 2
- UK tax on sale of Italian shares 228 3
- QBO VAT box 2 and 4 156 1
- How to deal with prior year error 242 2