How to make 'friends' pay their fees
I recently had a 'friend' who would just not pay his fees. Whenever I gave him an invoice he said 'I will put this in my back pocket to remind me to pay it'
Needless to say he never did.
I took him to court and was awarded a decree against him, but he simply went bankrupt.
An AIB was appointed, and though it has been claimed that most creditors are unhappy with the results achieved by them, I would say I am more than unhappy.
It has taken him many months to establish the ownership of the residential house, in his name, his wife's name. or joint names.
But the final straw was when I learned that the bankrupt had taken certain assets of the business home with him for 'safe keeping' If he did this on his own, this should amount to theft. If he did it with the knowledge of the AIB, then I would feel that this is contrary to the ethics which state that an AIB should act in the best interests of creditors.
Have any members comments to make on this.
Finally, I would state that this had been a hard lesson, and all my contracts now state that no filing of any kind, wages, VAT or accounts will take place until all accounts rendered have been settled, and cheques cleared through the bank. There are no friends in business.
- Why .... 633 8
- Does anyone know how to deal with crowd funding income 870 9
- NI Contributions in order to claim state pension 516 12
- We contribute a percentage of employees' salaries to a pension scheme set up by them - do we need to get involved in auto-enrolment? 399 5
- PPR for non-residents after 05 Apr 2015 260 6
- Relevant life plan 279 7
- Flat Rate Job Expenses 128 2
- Business Transfer Father to Son 79 1
- Gift between companies 48 1
- Pylon compensation - what am I missing? 437 7
- Annual director payments for a small limited company 309 7
- Vat reclaim on invoice payable over 4 years 408 4
- Jointly owned property 281 6
- Interim Accountants through Ltd co basis 163 1
- Going to miss CT filing deadline 156 2
- Categories on the VAT Flat Rate Scheme 282 4
- Flat Rate VAT - reclaiming VAT on Capital Purchase (bought on lease hire) 167 4
- The return 1,019 28
- Directors loan - no longer a director 181 1
- HMRC Unpaid Debt Collector 566 10
- Possible Partnership? 583
- Tax and accounting treatment on long lease granted from freehold 495
- New Fangled Penalties 395
- Clubs and Taxable Income 319
- Purchase of property freehold - capitalisation of costs 288
- Closed PAYE schemes and auto enrolment 241
- Loans to other companies 236
- Lenovo – Superfish & Komodia – is your PC vulnerable 205
- Outsource Data Entry 194
- Moving away from CCH software 189