How to make 'friends' pay their fees
I recently had a 'friend' who would just not pay his fees. Whenever I gave him an invoice he said 'I will put this in my back pocket to remind me to pay it'
Needless to say he never did.
I took him to court and was awarded a decree against him, but he simply went bankrupt.
An AIB was appointed, and though it has been claimed that most creditors are unhappy with the results achieved by them, I would say I am more than unhappy.
It has taken him many months to establish the ownership of the residential house, in his name, his wife's name. or joint names.
But the final straw was when I learned that the bankrupt had taken certain assets of the business home with him for 'safe keeping' If he did this on his own, this should amount to theft. If he did it with the knowledge of the AIB, then I would feel that this is contrary to the ethics which state that an AIB should act in the best interests of creditors.
Have any members comments to make on this.
Finally, I would state that this had been a hard lesson, and all my contracts now state that no filing of any kind, wages, VAT or accounts will take place until all accounts rendered have been settled, and cheques cleared through the bank. There are no friends in business.
- Where has Portia gone? 5,052 110
- Help 168 10
- Dividends from UK plc - tax years and dates 93 2
- What do people do with signed accounts/engagement letters/tax returns? 222 9
- Overlap profit 294 7
- Moneysoft or Sage payroll with auto enrolment? 319 6
- RTI Payroll ID 2,064 25
- What is the correct Vat treatment and rate to use to record a business stay in a hotel in the EU? 134 1
- Payments on account 188 2
- Recurring Revenue/Costs occurred before registering, how do I handle this? 84 1
- What do your junior staff do? 524 7
- OMG HMRC !!!! Employ some ppl!! 655 12
- Keeping disastrous accounts 415 5
- Is my client risking reputational damage? 537 10
- VAT Exemptions for Dance Education 132 1
- Getting fees, getting harder? 3,942 74
- In pratice using part time accountants 355 3
- On the high seas 116 1
- Entrepreneurs Relief Shares Received as Part of Divorce Settlement 149 2
- Spousal transfer and PPR 860 34
- Services via intermediaries and new HMRC reporting requirements 853
- How hard is it to reduce a code? 445
- Sanzar 342
- How do you do it 338
- Digital marketing focus group 313
- Kashflow balance sheet difference 296
- Bed & Breakfast trade via Limited Company 210
- Fit for purpose 203
- new investor structure 200
- VAT Registration 181