How to make 'friends' pay their fees
I recently had a 'friend' who would just not pay his fees. Whenever I gave him an invoice he said 'I will put this in my back pocket to remind me to pay it'
Needless to say he never did.
I took him to court and was awarded a decree against him, but he simply went bankrupt.
An AIB was appointed, and though it has been claimed that most creditors are unhappy with the results achieved by them, I would say I am more than unhappy.
It has taken him many months to establish the ownership of the residential house, in his name, his wife's name. or joint names.
But the final straw was when I learned that the bankrupt had taken certain assets of the business home with him for 'safe keeping' If he did this on his own, this should amount to theft. If he did it with the knowledge of the AIB, then I would feel that this is contrary to the ethics which state that an AIB should act in the best interests of creditors.
Have any members comments to make on this.
Finally, I would state that this had been a hard lesson, and all my contracts now state that no filing of any kind, wages, VAT or accounts will take place until all accounts rendered have been settled, and cheques cleared through the bank. There are no friends in business.
- A number of Clearbooks VAT return issues! 132 1
- signature required 386 17
- Norwegian p45, which UK Tax return does it go into 163 10
- Left UK in 2006 but did not declare rental income since 2009 93 1
- VAT rate charged by surveyor 168 2
- Homing sandwiches 329 9
- Related Party Transactions 92 2
- How do I undo the work of a Macro in Excel 135 4
- VAT on hotel payments received in advance 66 1
- UK resident receiving USA pension 45 1
- EU eservices VAT change imminent 453 9
- Sage payroll alternatives 749 13
- More AE! 749 17
- Web sites 232 3
- ethical- to continue to act or not? 592 13
- Dispensation 169 3
- Is laminated flooring an improvement on carpets? 501 14
- South African family trust and UK resident beneficiary 101 3
- Seting up a Direct Debit for PAYE 301 3
- Late Filing and Late Registration Penalty 269 3
- Auto enrolment excuses 1,228
- Feedback on accounts production software for IFRS 810
- Add T&Cs to Sales Order in Sage 510
- Digita Hosted Software 334
- Credit where credit's due....... 306
- Buying goods in US and selling them to company in US 234
- Flat rate VAT- other income calculation 183
- TheTax Donut 172
- Corporation Tax return - more than one trade 155
- Double taxation relief - same income, different individual 155