How to make 'friends' pay their fees
I recently had a 'friend' who would just not pay his fees. Whenever I gave him an invoice he said 'I will put this in my back pocket to remind me to pay it'
Needless to say he never did.
I took him to court and was awarded a decree against him, but he simply went bankrupt.
An AIB was appointed, and though it has been claimed that most creditors are unhappy with the results achieved by them, I would say I am more than unhappy.
It has taken him many months to establish the ownership of the residential house, in his name, his wife's name. or joint names.
But the final straw was when I learned that the bankrupt had taken certain assets of the business home with him for 'safe keeping' If he did this on his own, this should amount to theft. If he did it with the knowledge of the AIB, then I would feel that this is contrary to the ethics which state that an AIB should act in the best interests of creditors.
Have any members comments to make on this.
Finally, I would state that this had been a hard lesson, and all my contracts now state that no filing of any kind, wages, VAT or accounts will take place until all accounts rendered have been settled, and cheques cleared through the bank. There are no friends in business.
- backpack 45 1
- Directors liability insurance and scope 27 1
- Auto Enrolment - Help each other by sharing known problems 52 1
- FCA regulated company in a small group 363 1
- Are you going to Xerocon? 1,102 27
- Questions from Liquidator 2,181 23
- Really?! 291 4
- Legal Fees Allowable in dispute 336 7
- Is the CT61 return dead? 122 3
- How did you recalculate your payroll fees 795 10
- Entrepreneur - want to submit accounts by myself 993 14
- HMRC site still hasn't updated for January SA filings 534 8
- SSP and Contractual Sick Pay Query 356 9
- Commercial Premises Purchase using Company Profits 491 13
- Company Car for Owner Director number crunching - is there a ready reckoner? 372 4
- Property letting & CAs 439 1
- Share capital - death of a shareholder 552 18
- Viewing folder contens en masse 289 7
- HMRC time to pay and bailiff letters 494 6
- Separate companies same Director buy from each other 513 10
- Self employed and HMRC Worldwide Subsistence Rates 696
- 2015 tax year end 423
- Interest paid - do new rules affect Tax Credits? 403
- Self employed consultant working in Ireland 336
- Costly Accounting Software contract 281
- Market Invoice (P2P invoice discounting) tax treatment 247
- Directors' advances and credits 235
- DTA tie-breaker issue 233
- Tax on internet ad sharing income 216
- Credit against UK NI for NI paid to EEC Countries 196