How to make 'friends' pay their fees
I recently had a 'friend' who would just not pay his fees. Whenever I gave him an invoice he said 'I will put this in my back pocket to remind me to pay it'
Needless to say he never did.
I took him to court and was awarded a decree against him, but he simply went bankrupt.
An AIB was appointed, and though it has been claimed that most creditors are unhappy with the results achieved by them, I would say I am more than unhappy.
It has taken him many months to establish the ownership of the residential house, in his name, his wife's name. or joint names.
But the final straw was when I learned that the bankrupt had taken certain assets of the business home with him for 'safe keeping' If he did this on his own, this should amount to theft. If he did it with the knowledge of the AIB, then I would feel that this is contrary to the ethics which state that an AIB should act in the best interests of creditors.
Have any members comments to make on this.
Finally, I would state that this had been a hard lesson, and all my contracts now state that no filing of any kind, wages, VAT or accounts will take place until all accounts rendered have been settled, and cheques cleared through the bank. There are no friends in business.
- Introduction of assets to Limited Company (Comic Books) 169 8
- Buying a company for £20,000 from owner how it works? 429 6
- Practicing without a Practicing Certificate 845 12
- BTL property and holdover or other relief 91 3
- Client right to working papers 1,521 11
- vat gross margins 180 2
- Employer PAYE Refund 162 4
- e mail 106 1
- Auto enrolment 573 9
- HMRC Debt collectors 1,347 6
- VAT on new build property 143 2
- Auto enrolment 293 9
- SAGE 50 2011 131 1
- Seeking advice: Do you pay tax on donations if you are not a registered charity? 183 3
- Are there any auto-enrolment engagement letter templates? 1,627 36
- How much do you charge for Accountant's Reference? 1,861 22
- Loss on sale of goodwill 194 2
- Has Microsoft taken a huge bite out of Apple 894 18
- 1st year reporting under FRS 102 - Property revaluation 257 5
- IFA giving dodgy advice? 400 9
- NHS finance professionals 667
- Auto Enrolment and Foreign employers 410
- Foreign Pension Contribution 375
- Employee's statement of sickness (SC2) form - no longer available as downloadable pdf 364
- vat gross profit percentage margins 356
- Pre Season Invoice dated September how do you treat the VAT as not due until May 16 348
- SWAT AML v Anti Money Laundering Compliance Plus (AMLCP) 309
- Does pension term assurance count for unused relief purposes? 273
- Management reporting dashboards and cloud accounting 235
- IFA income recognition & reporting 211