How much should I charge?
I work from an office attached to my house, so overheads are low. I am based in Yorkshire. I have had a customer for 15 years who has recently closed his account with my firm. He has not given a reason why but, as I am not aware of any friction or catastrophic errors, I am assuming it is because of the amount charged. Needless to say communication has been severed, which means I can't determine the reason nor thank him/her for their business in the past.
His is a small company with 2 directors (one his wife), 2 shareholders - turnover £90,000.
The bookkeeping is done by the wife/secretary/director to a reasonable standard (though not perfect) using proprietary software.
She is capable of carrying out accurate bank reconciliations. She does all the necessary banking and filing.
She completes vat returns and looks after payroll (which is just the annual return).
The service I provide is to produce final accounts (applying appropriate verification and amendment where necessary and adding necessary accountants data); produce Ctax computation, Ctax Return and Financial Statements; produce 2 x self assessment returns; maintain company secretarial, including dividend preparation and annual return; include 2 personal visits/reviews per annum; provide a support/advisory service re tax and accounting issues (admittedly, rarely used by my client)
I charge £700 plus VAT (which has always been the rate after adjusting for inflation).
Does this seem excessive?
- flat rate scheme 650 19
- How to reward a long standing employee 127 1
- Office 365 vs. Google apps 230 5
- Are you going to Tick and Bash on 21 May? 1,499 43
- Unqualified accountants filing SATR, VAT returns etc for clients 155 3
- New intermediaries reporting requirements 182 2
- Windows 7 to 8 should I go Excel or Office 365 180 3
- Special dividends & CGT 277 2
- Attachment of Orders 113 1
- Sage instant account codes 263 2
- Allocation of income from property 250 7
- Protocol to be followed for professional clearance 176 2
- Turnover on a tax return 712 13
- UK tax exposure 390 7
- Companies House Presenter Account 181 3
- regulated mortgage work? 230 3
- Employer Making Employee Calculate own Holiday Pay 193 1
- Non-UK resident - where to pay income tax? 299 8
- What do young accountants know that you don't? 2,305 11
- How much would you charge for an interim audit? 571 8