How much should I charge?
I work from an office attached to my house, so overheads are low. I am based in Yorkshire. I have had a customer for 15 years who has recently closed his account with my firm. He has not given a reason why but, as I am not aware of any friction or catastrophic errors, I am assuming it is because of the amount charged. Needless to say communication has been severed, which means I can't determine the reason nor thank him/her for their business in the past.
His is a small company with 2 directors (one his wife), 2 shareholders - turnover £90,000.
The bookkeeping is done by the wife/secretary/director to a reasonable standard (though not perfect) using proprietary software.
She is capable of carrying out accurate bank reconciliations. She does all the necessary banking and filing.
She completes vat returns and looks after payroll (which is just the annual return).
The service I provide is to produce final accounts (applying appropriate verification and amendment where necessary and adding necessary accountants data); produce Ctax computation, Ctax Return and Financial Statements; produce 2 x self assessment returns; maintain company secretarial, including dividend preparation and annual return; include 2 personal visits/reviews per annum; provide a support/advisory service re tax and accounting issues (admittedly, rarely used by my client)
I charge £700 plus VAT (which has always been the rate after adjusting for inflation).
Does this seem excessive?
- Auto-Enrolment 3,769 183
- Method for filing 2013/14 payroll? 84 2
- Partially exempt? 189 6
- Vat 33 1
- VAT on imports and the Flat Rate Scheme for VAT 114 4
- Incorporation Relief 97 2
- First VAT Visit for client 89 2
- QuickBooks, Xero, FreeAgent and ClearBooks 806 17
- Accounting Practice acting as an employment agency 220 11
- Twenty signs your practice is bad at tax 561 6
- capital gains on PPR 1,428 21
- cost of moving out for a few weeks 295 9
- Tax question about small group and how to set up 229 14
- What type of Trust? 143 3
- What is 'an asset' for A/A+B CGT? 133 5
- OBK 591 19
- Instant CPD offer 143 2
- Dividend in specie 136 2
- Investor exit 107 2
- Withholding Tax - Invoicing Ecuador 164 4
- Skandia using wrong address 469
- Does anyone use PS Financials accounting software out there? 270
- FHL, period of grace and Entrepreneur's relief 264
- Employee rewards 256
- Legislation access for part-time sole practitioner? 216
- Rental Property W&T And Equipment 209
- EPS Analysis - Change to EURO 208
- Gift of reversion and lease into trust by two different people - later PPR 192
- Etax Australian 165
- Annual Management Charge Rebates and Self Assessment Tax Return 155