How much should I charge?
I work from an office attached to my house, so overheads are low. I am based in Yorkshire. I have had a customer for 15 years who has recently closed his account with my firm. He has not given a reason why but, as I am not aware of any friction or catastrophic errors, I am assuming it is because of the amount charged. Needless to say communication has been severed, which means I can't determine the reason nor thank him/her for their business in the past.
His is a small company with 2 directors (one his wife), 2 shareholders - turnover £90,000.
The bookkeeping is done by the wife/secretary/director to a reasonable standard (though not perfect) using proprietary software.
She is capable of carrying out accurate bank reconciliations. She does all the necessary banking and filing.
She completes vat returns and looks after payroll (which is just the annual return).
The service I provide is to produce final accounts (applying appropriate verification and amendment where necessary and adding necessary accountants data); produce Ctax computation, Ctax Return and Financial Statements; produce 2 x self assessment returns; maintain company secretarial, including dividend preparation and annual return; include 2 personal visits/reviews per annum; provide a support/advisory service re tax and accounting issues (admittedly, rarely used by my client)
I charge £700 plus VAT (which has always been the rate after adjusting for inflation).
Does this seem excessive?
- FreeAgent question 267 8
- Signed accounts for a lender 257 13
- Mortgage interest 39 1
- How many associated companies 64 1
- Corporation Tax Software 235 6
- New Agency rules - who's responsible? 48 1
- Goodie bag 2,413 68
- Practising options 448 6
- Self-employed or Ltd Company or seek employment 404 10
- Footballers Testimonials Taxable? 511 5
- Clients have been told I'm working from home 277 7
- Software recommendations? 377 5
- can I approach clients ? 672 10
- Latest scam e-mails 141 1
- BrightPay 947 27
- Budget 2015 predictions 603 14
- Regular Director bonus 194 3
- Have the new quarterly employer returns been finalised and where do you get them? 200 1
- accounting in estate agents 101 1
- Network marketing client - how does it work? 362 7
- Possible Partnership? 670
- Tax and accounting treatment on long lease granted from freehold 528
- New Fangled Penalties 460
- Fuming! 445
- Purchase of property freehold - capitalisation of costs 327
- Charity dissolution and newly merged charity 266
- Outsource Data Entry 247
- Moving away from CCH software 246
- Lenovo – Superfish & Komodia – is your PC vulnerable 243
- Do I need a US Tax Identification Number to complete W-8BEN-E? 190