How much should I charge?
I work from an office attached to my house, so overheads are low. I am based in Yorkshire. I have had a customer for 15 years who has recently closed his account with my firm. He has not given a reason why but, as I am not aware of any friction or catastrophic errors, I am assuming it is because of the amount charged. Needless to say communication has been severed, which means I can't determine the reason nor thank him/her for their business in the past.
His is a small company with 2 directors (one his wife), 2 shareholders - turnover £90,000.
The bookkeeping is done by the wife/secretary/director to a reasonable standard (though not perfect) using proprietary software.
She is capable of carrying out accurate bank reconciliations. She does all the necessary banking and filing.
She completes vat returns and looks after payroll (which is just the annual return).
The service I provide is to produce final accounts (applying appropriate verification and amendment where necessary and adding necessary accountants data); produce Ctax computation, Ctax Return and Financial Statements; produce 2 x self assessment returns; maintain company secretarial, including dividend preparation and annual return; include 2 personal visits/reviews per annum; provide a support/advisory service re tax and accounting issues (admittedly, rarely used by my client)
I charge £700 plus VAT (which has always been the rate after adjusting for inflation).
Does this seem excessive?
- Business only use of company car 769 29
- Assets at strike off 39 2
- Treatment of private ambulances on introduction to business 179 5
- Is there no lower level to the work a lawyer would take on. 1,115 34
- How do you pay Inheritance Tax when HMRC haven't demanded it 387 5
- Scientist switch to accountancy - work experience? 1,199 30
- New Company reviews please 655 16
- Voluntary Disclosure 427 8
- Gift to son by parents 206 1
- valuation of vehicles 498 19
- How to revise RTI for Moneysoft 301 4
- Director Salaries - Sole Director Limited Company who is also employed elsewhere 225 1
- Ethical Issues / Conflict of Interest 436 3
- Mortgage Interest - Tax Deductible 470 4
- BTC is slow 320 3
- Director registration for SA question 551 17
- Issues with freelancer taking zero salary from limited company 495 6
- Tax on LLP members drawings not covered by future profits 523 22
- Dormant company late with their CH submission 535 14
- Penalties for late PAYE scheme 375 4
- RTI Rollback to delete incorrect data 329
- Any thoughts on Capium? 271
- Vouchedfor.co.uk 265
- Motor Traders Assistant Bookkeeping Programme queries 251
- Tracesmart/Lexis Nexis AML software? Any opinions? 231
- auto enrolment 209
- Sage Compatible P60's Self Seal 189
- Continuity of practice-ACCA 179
- How to account for investment in JV? 170
- Recommended International mobile phone coverage and costs? 160