How much should I charge?
I work from an office attached to my house, so overheads are low. I am based in Yorkshire. I have had a customer for 15 years who has recently closed his account with my firm. He has not given a reason why but, as I am not aware of any friction or catastrophic errors, I am assuming it is because of the amount charged. Needless to say communication has been severed, which means I can't determine the reason nor thank him/her for their business in the past.
His is a small company with 2 directors (one his wife), 2 shareholders - turnover £90,000.
The bookkeeping is done by the wife/secretary/director to a reasonable standard (though not perfect) using proprietary software.
She is capable of carrying out accurate bank reconciliations. She does all the necessary banking and filing.
She completes vat returns and looks after payroll (which is just the annual return).
The service I provide is to produce final accounts (applying appropriate verification and amendment where necessary and adding necessary accountants data); produce Ctax computation, Ctax Return and Financial Statements; produce 2 x self assessment returns; maintain company secretarial, including dividend preparation and annual return; include 2 personal visits/reviews per annum; provide a support/advisory service re tax and accounting issues (admittedly, rarely used by my client)
I charge £700 plus VAT (which has always been the rate after adjusting for inflation).
Does this seem excessive?
- CIC Company 439 3
- Redundancy pay for directors? 208 7
- Legal Advice Needed Bank Account Blocked 430 6
- Entrepreneurs relief available? 452 9
- Can I take action against my accountant for incompetence? 1,803 47
- Small company audit 223 8
- Sage valuing foreign bank balances 208 5
- What can my client claim r & d on? 215 5
- Problem partnership fees 125 1
- Car financed by employee 110 1
- Potential Customer Under VAT Threshold 106 1
- Undisclosed income 180 3
- Leaving Flat Rate Scheme for VAT 297 8
- DEATH OF A SHAREHOLDER NO SHAREHOLDER AGREEMENT 248 4
- Private Investment Company 141 1
- How familiar are accountants with community interest companies? 130 1
- New company - form a group? 202 3
- Has anyone read the implications of the Lisbon treaty? 802 17
- What are options for non CA firm 2,712 57
- Is this a scam? 828 8
- Property exchange - 8-year legal delay following fall-out 605
- Cancelled 353
- SAGE Payroll Data for Import to MS Dynamics AX 337
- Cancelled 288
- Have you staged yet for auto enrolment? 261
- Probiz 248
- VAT on non-profit making clubs (ECJ VS West Dorset Golf Club) 204
- Phishing emails purporting to be from CIPFA? 189
- Car leasing scheme 186
- Free-standing washing machine - unfurnished lettings 180