How much should I charge?
I work from an office attached to my house, so overheads are low. I am based in Yorkshire. I have had a customer for 15 years who has recently closed his account with my firm. He has not given a reason why but, as I am not aware of any friction or catastrophic errors, I am assuming it is because of the amount charged. Needless to say communication has been severed, which means I can't determine the reason nor thank him/her for their business in the past.
His is a small company with 2 directors (one his wife), 2 shareholders - turnover £90,000.
The bookkeeping is done by the wife/secretary/director to a reasonable standard (though not perfect) using proprietary software.
She is capable of carrying out accurate bank reconciliations. She does all the necessary banking and filing.
She completes vat returns and looks after payroll (which is just the annual return).
The service I provide is to produce final accounts (applying appropriate verification and amendment where necessary and adding necessary accountants data); produce Ctax computation, Ctax Return and Financial Statements; produce 2 x self assessment returns; maintain company secretarial, including dividend preparation and annual return; include 2 personal visits/reviews per annum; provide a support/advisory service re tax and accounting issues (admittedly, rarely used by my client)
I charge £700 plus VAT (which has always been the rate after adjusting for inflation).
Does this seem excessive?
- Year end 212 2
- US/UK Dual Citizenship 298 13
- A little knowledge 123 4
- Clothing 599 19
- Investment properties/freehold land 132 6
- Money laundering and can accountants be sued by clients if they make a report 1,262 18
- Parent and subsidiary... 165 5
- Identity check problem 1,494 14
- No tax returns for 6 year 86 1
- Capital allowances on Software 218 2
- Designated sole Residence 201 4
- Trading Losses - 3 Year Carry Back 92 3
- Company director and KIT days 116 1
- client can't/won't pay 2,177 50
- Anybody still doing returns? 853 34
- Digita in the cloud 62 1
- Change to PAYE TAX CODE 234 7
- IHT and US resident 125 2
- Tax relief when working away 77 1
- Capital allowances on transfer of business 213 8
- Form MR01 (Particulars of a charge) - does this need to be filed if you remortgage with the same lender? 957
- Underpaid VAT assessment and relation to SATR 681
- Did you realise Google will not patch android exploit ... 628
- Latest phishing scam 605
- Cashback for opening business bank acct = trading income? 441
- Auto Enrolment Questions Answered 329
- Scratch Head 269
- Loan benefit after person ceases as director/employee 260
- Sabbatical payments 220
- Negligible Value Claim 200