How to tax employees home telephone reimbursed ??
According to HMRC if an employee is reimbursed for their home telephone (contract between employee and phone company) the amount reimbursed must be added to the employee's other earnings and is subject to deduction of PAYE and NI using your usual payroll procedures.
If a limited company reimburses an employee (whom owns the company and is the only employee) 50% (treated as business use proportion) of their home telephone bill the company will look to record this payment as a 'telephone' expense.
If the 50% reimbursed is then added to the employees salary and included in the net wage calculation then the employee is effectively receiving reimbursement twice which clearly can't be correct.
So therefore should the reimbursement previously paid to the employee and treated as a 'telephone' expense by the company be deducted from the net wage payment to the employee with the net amount being grossed-up through the payroll ?? would then the gross amount be the value reported by the company as telephone expense ??
There doesn't appear to be any specific guidance from HMRC on the actual logic of this and I just can't seem to get my head around this one.
- how to value rental space 29 2
- Output tax for retailer 249 6
- Partnership Tax Return £100 penalty-was a tax return due in this case? 435 11
- Budget 2015 predictions 119 4
- Directors loan - no longer a director 282 3
- Failure to operate PAYE 1,911 32
- Telemarketing 106 3
- Pass-through costs - show gross or net under UK GAAP / IFRS? 90 1
- Non domicile swiss bank 119 2
- New tax codes for ex-employees 129 1
- Husband Wife let property 91 1
- Tennants in Common - Changing % Share 83 1
- Gift between companies 114 2
- Physiotherapy And Vat 137 2
- Vat reclaim on invoice payable over 4 years 451 6
- Why .... 704 8
- Does anyone know how to deal with crowd funding income 943 9
- NI Contributions in order to claim state pension 546 12
- We contribute a percentage of employees' salaries to a pension scheme set up by them - do we need to get involved in auto-enrolment? 434 5
- PPR for non-residents after 05 Apr 2015 273 6
- Possible Partnership? 591
- Tax and accounting treatment on long lease granted from freehold 497
- New Fangled Penalties 402
- Clubs and Taxable Income 325
- Purchase of property freehold - capitalisation of costs 295
- Closed PAYE schemes and auto enrolment 248
- Loans to other companies 242
- Lenovo – Superfish & Komodia – is your PC vulnerable 209
- Outsource Data Entry 200
- Moving away from CCH software 196