How to tax employees home telephone reimbursed ??
According to HMRC if an employee is reimbursed for their home telephone (contract between employee and phone company) the amount reimbursed must be added to the employee's other earnings and is subject to deduction of PAYE and NI using your usual payroll procedures.
If a limited company reimburses an employee (whom owns the company and is the only employee) 50% (treated as business use proportion) of their home telephone bill the company will look to record this payment as a 'telephone' expense.
If the 50% reimbursed is then added to the employees salary and included in the net wage calculation then the employee is effectively receiving reimbursement twice which clearly can't be correct.
So therefore should the reimbursement previously paid to the employee and treated as a 'telephone' expense by the company be deducted from the net wage payment to the employee with the net amount being grossed-up through the payroll ?? would then the gross amount be the value reported by the company as telephone expense ??
There doesn't appear to be any specific guidance from HMRC on the actual logic of this and I just can't seem to get my head around this one.
- private to company car? 341 9
- Gift to employee 295 6
- Which address 953 11
- Profit accruing in fiduciary or representative capacity 70 1
- Do I charge VAT for event I held in Paris 247 5
- PAYE Refund Farce At HMRC 937 15
- VAT Cross Border Invoicing 78 1
- Car maintenance costs deductible against CT 235 6
- Best time software for small practice? 163 1
- Does anybody still use a Filofax? 446 17
- Vat threshold issues 437 10
- Sale of an investment between group companies 156 7
- Your fondest calculator memories 1,111 41
- What is the reasoning behind HMRC letter re high income child benefit charge? 460 9
- Residents Association Corp Tax 296 12
- Investment property where tenant lives rent free 381 7
- I hate HMRC's voice recognition system - The Inept Interrogator 1,053 21
- Letter from HMRC telling me client passed away 1,975 27
- Sage Forecasting - Print filename 315 1
- Unquoted company valuation multiples 119 1
- DTR : TIOPA 2010 Section 42 467
- CTA study material 448
- Sect 102 TMA 1970 320
- Pre incorp expenses 299
- Relief on French Tax Deposit? 257
- Anyone have clients that use Pay4Later to offer customers credit? 247
- Slight twist on employment related securities 223
- What is the tax position if I am working overseas but via a UK agency? 199
- Gift Aid after 5 April, before 31 Jan - Tax Credits 142
- Anybody have that old ACCA Student Training Record (STR1) 130