How to tax employees home telephone reimbursed ??
According to HMRC if an employee is reimbursed for their home telephone (contract between employee and phone company) the amount reimbursed must be added to the employee's other earnings and is subject to deduction of PAYE and NI using your usual payroll procedures.
If a limited company reimburses an employee (whom owns the company and is the only employee) 50% (treated as business use proportion) of their home telephone bill the company will look to record this payment as a 'telephone' expense.
If the 50% reimbursed is then added to the employees salary and included in the net wage calculation then the employee is effectively receiving reimbursement twice which clearly can't be correct.
So therefore should the reimbursement previously paid to the employee and treated as a 'telephone' expense by the company be deducted from the net wage payment to the employee with the net amount being grossed-up through the payroll ?? would then the gross amount be the value reported by the company as telephone expense ??
There doesn't appear to be any specific guidance from HMRC on the actual logic of this and I just can't seem to get my head around this one.
- Contribution to charity as % of profit 263 14
- Non resident income. 154 9
- Taxable income from property and separation 51 2
- Capital Gains on Residential Property 254 18
- Goodwill adjustment 137 4
- Use of home deduction 313 11
- anyone using Office365 for practice management 953 29
- smp employee made redundant 83 1
- Do you lose losses on cessation 404 11
- How do you get HMRC to pay you SMP? 160 3
- Online SA303 Nine Digit UTR 153 4
- Buy to let property : Is parking bay tax deductible ? 151 4
- Software 97 2
- Notice of Coding 0T but not Month 1 266 7
- Knuckle down one week to go! 968 21
- client can't/won't pay 1,302 22
- Companies House late filing penalties 2,324 79
- Self assessment help 153 1
- Worried over stock value 430 13
- Terminal Trade Loss Relief 101 3
- Form MR01 (Particulars of a charge) - does this need to be filed if you remortgage with the same lender? 843
- Copy Wanted 577
- Underpaid VAT assessment and relation to SATR 523
- Did you realise Google will not patch android exploit ... 503
- Latest phishing scam 376
- Entrepreneurs' relief 353
- Supply teachers and Ltd Companies 314
- Cashback for opening business bank acct = trading income? 300
- Corporate LLP with 30 June Year end - How to record on SA800? 291
- Auto Enrolment Questions Answered 202