How to tax employees home telephone reimbursed ??
According to HMRC if an employee is reimbursed for their home telephone (contract between employee and phone company) the amount reimbursed must be added to the employee's other earnings and is subject to deduction of PAYE and NI using your usual payroll procedures.
If a limited company reimburses an employee (whom owns the company and is the only employee) 50% (treated as business use proportion) of their home telephone bill the company will look to record this payment as a 'telephone' expense.
If the 50% reimbursed is then added to the employees salary and included in the net wage calculation then the employee is effectively receiving reimbursement twice which clearly can't be correct.
So therefore should the reimbursement previously paid to the employee and treated as a 'telephone' expense by the company be deducted from the net wage payment to the employee with the net amount being grossed-up through the payroll ?? would then the gross amount be the value reported by the company as telephone expense ??
There doesn't appear to be any specific guidance from HMRC on the actual logic of this and I just can't seem to get my head around this one.
- Giving advice to friends / family 85 2
- Unaudited accounts and an accountant’s certificate of confirmation 203 5
- Can you declare dividends and not withdraw them 326 7
- Ex Gratia payments 111 2
- HMRC request for Sage Back Up 2,206 27
- Employee satisfaction surveys 79 1
- How quickly do you turn around y/e accounts? 2,237 17
- PAYE coding notice - deliberate misstatement 1,346 21
- CIS and Close Company 137 3
- Sage 200 and Access Dimensions reviews 302 1
- VAT Option to tax 486 17
- Brain freeze - loss on disposal of company car 196 6
- Capital allowance vehicle exchange 205 7
- S162 and Capital Allowances 141 2
- Director leaving in month 1 184 2
- HMRC chasing club for unpaid fees 306 3
- Selling assets to yourself ? 204 3
- 24 Month Rule - New Employer 203 3
- Director's remuneration accrual 185 4
- IHT - clawback of BPR 60 1
- Residential Property Purchase Above £750K 916
- Using Sage with Sofa Categories 645
- Free Tax Legislation? 411
- Director Loan account operation 407
- Understanding the implications of January 2015 VAT changes for downloads on threshold for VAT registration 350
- transferring simply accounting 2010 from xp to windows 7 323
- rent-a-room allowance for part of the year 230
- Paye procedures for CVA 224
- HMRC Second Income Campaign - not so much a question as heads up 198
- Pension Fixed Protection 163