How to tax employees home telephone reimbursed ??
According to HMRC if an employee is reimbursed for their home telephone (contract between employee and phone company) the amount reimbursed must be added to the employee's other earnings and is subject to deduction of PAYE and NI using your usual payroll procedures.
If a limited company reimburses an employee (whom owns the company and is the only employee) 50% (treated as business use proportion) of their home telephone bill the company will look to record this payment as a 'telephone' expense.
If the 50% reimbursed is then added to the employees salary and included in the net wage calculation then the employee is effectively receiving reimbursement twice which clearly can't be correct.
So therefore should the reimbursement previously paid to the employee and treated as a 'telephone' expense by the company be deducted from the net wage payment to the employee with the net amount being grossed-up through the payroll ?? would then the gross amount be the value reported by the company as telephone expense ??
There doesn't appear to be any specific guidance from HMRC on the actual logic of this and I just can't seem to get my head around this one.
- HMRC corporation tax software - how to enter negative expense 259 8
- Dispensation pointless ? 511 14
- Property versus Trade in a Ltd Company 231 8
- Snotty HMRC letter - continued 788 19
- Flat rate vat error 280 6
- can I claim a per diem 213 4
- Underpaid taxes included in tax code connundrum 135 3
- Linux Accounting Software 548 13
- RTI due -no broadband 116 1
- Dividend paid to non-shareholder 465 12
- Shareholders selling shares to shareholders, how to account for it? 79 1
- Is Hold over relief available? 102 4
- Personal returns late information - when to get tough? 875 10
- Playstation 4 - Allowable expense or not? 2,198 27
- Whats the best way to keep my accounts? 462 14
- Running Cost of Private Car more than 45p per mile?? 391 8
- How do I clear transaction history - Sage 50 v9 226 5
- Ltd co client preparing own self assessment tax returns 427 8
- Business Christmas Greetings 869 17
- When will Private Principal Residence Relief cut will start? 497 11
- Desperately seeking Susan, Sam or anyone with any other name 817
- Experience with Islamic investor following Sharia-compliant rules? 499
- Darwinpay Partnership Assessment 314
- How to format a stock book 279
- S464A Charge to tax: conferring benefit & BIK 223
- Tax efficient holding company structure 217
- Investment property company accounts template 212
- Outlook 2007 with business contact manager not loading on new laptop 207
- auto enrolment - calculation of first pension deduction 179
- Sage 50 Customer Statements and Running Balances 176