How to tax employees home telephone reimbursed ??
According to HMRC if an employee is reimbursed for their home telephone (contract between employee and phone company) the amount reimbursed must be added to the employee's other earnings and is subject to deduction of PAYE and NI using your usual payroll procedures.
If a limited company reimburses an employee (whom owns the company and is the only employee) 50% (treated as business use proportion) of their home telephone bill the company will look to record this payment as a 'telephone' expense.
If the 50% reimbursed is then added to the employees salary and included in the net wage calculation then the employee is effectively receiving reimbursement twice which clearly can't be correct.
So therefore should the reimbursement previously paid to the employee and treated as a 'telephone' expense by the company be deducted from the net wage payment to the employee with the net amount being grossed-up through the payroll ?? would then the gross amount be the value reported by the company as telephone expense ??
There doesn't appear to be any specific guidance from HMRC on the actual logic of this and I just can't seem to get my head around this one.
- Quickbooks Desktop - 14/15 Employment Allowance 259 8
- Is cloud accounting software all just pie in the sky 1,117 36
- Classes 2 and 4 NI for sole trader also employed 32 1
- Getting fees, getting harder? 968 24
- CIS Deductions 274 8
- New desktop accounting and payroll, help, please 152 4
- sole trader to ltd company 120 2
- Rogue Accountant 1,096 33
- Spousal transfer and PPR 314 10
- Personal bank account in limited company 246 7
- Dual taxation - usa 186 2
- My house has fallen down 474 13
- CGT on residential property for a non resident and PPR relief 112 1
- Timing of LTD CIS rebates 286 10
- Inheritance Tax Advice 119 1
- Directors Salary and Directors Loan Account and RTI 126 1
- Tax refunds for 2014/15 570 8
- Working in Iraq, how to treat the income 290 4
- What are the tax implications of bringing funds into the UK from abroad? 208 2
- Property sale split between years 162 5
- Services via intermediaries and new HMRC reporting requirements 641
- LIVE: Budget aftermath webinar 405
- Pensions Regulator 379
- RTI - duplicate employee record 324
- NIC contribution on unremitted income 324
- Using the correct forms 299
- SA penalty proposals 297
- How hard is it to reduce a code? 278
- Digital marketing focus group 198
- Sage Vat return box 2 188