How to tax employees home telephone reimbursed ??
According to HMRC if an employee is reimbursed for their home telephone (contract between employee and phone company) the amount reimbursed must be added to the employee's other earnings and is subject to deduction of PAYE and NI using your usual payroll procedures.
If a limited company reimburses an employee (whom owns the company and is the only employee) 50% (treated as business use proportion) of their home telephone bill the company will look to record this payment as a 'telephone' expense.
If the 50% reimbursed is then added to the employees salary and included in the net wage calculation then the employee is effectively receiving reimbursement twice which clearly can't be correct.
So therefore should the reimbursement previously paid to the employee and treated as a 'telephone' expense by the company be deducted from the net wage payment to the employee with the net amount being grossed-up through the payroll ?? would then the gross amount be the value reported by the company as telephone expense ??
There doesn't appear to be any specific guidance from HMRC on the actual logic of this and I just can't seem to get my head around this one.
- Pay rise - how to enter in Moneysoft 134 3
- Support / ticketing software 305 11
- Withdrawal of a quote 251 6
- New (non resident) client not filed in 20 years 567 14
- Are Tax Agents designed out of online systems? 286 3
- Imported goods and VAT 98 1
- Annual Return for company for whom director/shareholder has died 418 15
- Divorcing husband, both 50% owners of a Ltd business 565 11
- Stamp Duty 135 3
- When to top-up pensions? 81 1
- Entrepreneur - want to submit accounts by myself 1,828 22
- Company Number 10000000 963 13
- Online accounting provider for multicompany with turnover £10m 350 5
- CGT on lost shares/scam 188 3
- Anyone else getting these HMRC letters? 434 3
- What would you do here, potential insolvency. 1,821 29
- HP agreement in Directors name but payments under company 433 9
- Where to follow court cases/rulings 208 3
- HMRC Funding for Employee PAYE refund 333 5
- Best software for small practice? 837 24
- Self employed and HMRC Worldwide Subsistence Rates 793
- Interest paid - do new rules affect Tax Credits? 464
- Market Invoice (P2P invoice discounting) tax treatment 282
- DTA tie-breaker issue 279
- CGT for NOn UK residents 241
- Apprenticeship Levy 214
- Tax Implicatins on a Directors Loan 210
- What are the tax implications of overseas sales through a UK based company? 207
- Just checking re PSA 194
- Capital Gains personal representatives 187