How to tax employees home telephone reimbursed ??
According to HMRC if an employee is reimbursed for their home telephone (contract between employee and phone company) the amount reimbursed must be added to the employee's other earnings and is subject to deduction of PAYE and NI using your usual payroll procedures.
If a limited company reimburses an employee (whom owns the company and is the only employee) 50% (treated as business use proportion) of their home telephone bill the company will look to record this payment as a 'telephone' expense.
If the 50% reimbursed is then added to the employees salary and included in the net wage calculation then the employee is effectively receiving reimbursement twice which clearly can't be correct.
So therefore should the reimbursement previously paid to the employee and treated as a 'telephone' expense by the company be deducted from the net wage payment to the employee with the net amount being grossed-up through the payroll ?? would then the gross amount be the value reported by the company as telephone expense ??
There doesn't appear to be any specific guidance from HMRC on the actual logic of this and I just can't seem to get my head around this one.
- Unfair charges for self assessment tax returns. Any recourse? 463 13
- Managing Employee Expenses 19 1
- Tax credit deadline extended by a week 65 1
- MAAT vs ACCA 193 1
- What are options for non CA firm 2,982 64
- Is it possible to run/own a UK based business, as a resident of Italy? 37 1
- Small company audit 611 11
- Do I need a smartphone? 471 20
- pretty multi rainbow -coloured client spreadsheets 553 14
- Entrepreneurs relief available? 687 19
- OVERDRAWN DIRECTORS LOAN ACCOUNT!! 232 3
- West Bromich Albion 410 3
- P11D with no S336 - Code Change ? 117 3
- Update workbook linkage without opening source 97 2
- registering my UK Ltd in Holland 217 4
- Terminal / cessation loss relief against rental income 112 4
- inheritance tax 505 13
- Invoices or receipts from non-vat registered businesses 90 1
- Deduction from Salary 807 22
- Interspouse Relief - Separate Couple 58 1
- Property exchange - 8-year legal delay following fall-out 652
- Have you staged yet for auto enrolment? 417
- Cancelled 413
- How not to compose an email 370
- SAGE Payroll Data for Import to MS Dynamics AX 357
- Cancelled 351
- Probiz 320
- Free-standing washing machine - unfurnished lettings 305
- Phishing emails purporting to be from CIPFA? 232
- Is this UK incapacity benefit taxable in UK or Jersey? 208