How to tax employees home telephone reimbursed ??
According to HMRC if an employee is reimbursed for their home telephone (contract between employee and phone company) the amount reimbursed must be added to the employee's other earnings and is subject to deduction of PAYE and NI using your usual payroll procedures.
If a limited company reimburses an employee (whom owns the company and is the only employee) 50% (treated as business use proportion) of their home telephone bill the company will look to record this payment as a 'telephone' expense.
If the 50% reimbursed is then added to the employees salary and included in the net wage calculation then the employee is effectively receiving reimbursement twice which clearly can't be correct.
So therefore should the reimbursement previously paid to the employee and treated as a 'telephone' expense by the company be deducted from the net wage payment to the employee with the net amount being grossed-up through the payroll ?? would then the gross amount be the value reported by the company as telephone expense ??
There doesn't appear to be any specific guidance from HMRC on the actual logic of this and I just can't seem to get my head around this one.
- VAT Invoice 14 1
- Sale of house with planning permission - tax free? 135 2
- 2013/14 failure to submit end of year submission 214 10
- Company overdue but wants to be struck off 734 29
- Vat code for journal entries of director's expenses 103 2
- Claiming VAT and missing receipts 390 10
- HMRC overreaching its powers -again against a small surveying firm? 310 8
- Flat rate Vat Scheme & Vat on wholesale production of Cakes and other deserts 100 6
- Help with tax codes on Sage 223 1
- Letting relief on property transferred to a spouse 137 6
- VAT code for invoice from not VAT registered company 241 4
- Accounting for a finance lease 134 4
- SA302's anyone?? 505 16
- A change from the old Q v NQ debate 1,602 41
- Renting for military reasons 153 2
- Cleaners wages at small church -PAYE or self employed ? 1,540 18
- Moneysoft Payroll Windows 8.1 Woes - Help! 1,037 18
- Deed of variation on a will & effect on tax returns 111 2
- do i pay vat when buying a business 514 25
- Auto enrolment for one or two director companies 1,988 30
- Skandia using wrong address 1,615
- Nil Rate Band Trust - index linked debt by way of charge over property 895
- International interest certificate 507
- NOVA 366
- Have we escaped Gift with Reservation of Benfit & Pre-owned asset charges? - Gift after benefit 282
- Management expenses for investment company 259
- Bonus Bonds 258
- Entertainer withholding tax in Australia 170
- tax on apprenticeship income 165
- P11D benefit received by widow 147