How to tax employees home telephone reimbursed ??
According to HMRC if an employee is reimbursed for their home telephone (contract between employee and phone company) the amount reimbursed must be added to the employee's other earnings and is subject to deduction of PAYE and NI using your usual payroll procedures.
If a limited company reimburses an employee (whom owns the company and is the only employee) 50% (treated as business use proportion) of their home telephone bill the company will look to record this payment as a 'telephone' expense.
If the 50% reimbursed is then added to the employees salary and included in the net wage calculation then the employee is effectively receiving reimbursement twice which clearly can't be correct.
So therefore should the reimbursement previously paid to the employee and treated as a 'telephone' expense by the company be deducted from the net wage payment to the employee with the net amount being grossed-up through the payroll ?? would then the gross amount be the value reported by the company as telephone expense ??
There doesn't appear to be any specific guidance from HMRC on the actual logic of this and I just can't seem to get my head around this one.
- Any Scottish members out there? 8,100 304
- Mortgage deposit Gift 86 3
- Expenses of overseas employment 161 3
- Paying tax in Angola and uk? 110 2
- New Client in dispute with old accountant 606 12
- Statutory Residence Test - Travelling 134 1
- Shutting down a company with creditors 1,104 15
- Has HMRC got powers to do this? 348 3
- EC sales list 64 1
- planning to be self employed bookkeeper what do i need to do before i start? 347 5
- Repairs after a rental business ends 389 11
- ICPA-Scotland 179 2
- Shutting down losing Directors Loan 228 1
- Declined for business bank account 387 6
- Help with Mortgage Application? 543 7
- Disclosure of pending convertible loan notes? 226 10
- Standard 'email' template system 926 14
- How to complete annual VAT return online? 241 4
- Irish VAT Deferred payment 119 1
- Circular shareholding 279 6
- Raiders of the Lost Tax File 1,125
- Chartered Accountant in County Down N.Ireland 369
- IPP (International Pension Plan) income 301
- National Insurance 275
- valuation of intangible asset FRS10 and FRS20 241
- Payments on account coded out?? 236
- Cass 5 FCA Client Money Software recomendation 226
- Unnecessary S9A Enquiries 196
- Non Resident 193
- Franchise income and costs 181