How to tax employees home telephone reimbursed ??
According to HMRC if an employee is reimbursed for their home telephone (contract between employee and phone company) the amount reimbursed must be added to the employee's other earnings and is subject to deduction of PAYE and NI using your usual payroll procedures.
If a limited company reimburses an employee (whom owns the company and is the only employee) 50% (treated as business use proportion) of their home telephone bill the company will look to record this payment as a 'telephone' expense.
If the 50% reimbursed is then added to the employees salary and included in the net wage calculation then the employee is effectively receiving reimbursement twice which clearly can't be correct.
So therefore should the reimbursement previously paid to the employee and treated as a 'telephone' expense by the company be deducted from the net wage payment to the employee with the net amount being grossed-up through the payroll ?? would then the gross amount be the value reported by the company as telephone expense ??
There doesn't appear to be any specific guidance from HMRC on the actual logic of this and I just can't seem to get my head around this one.
- Partnership registered in error. No activities with view to profit. 164 3
- Money laundering POCA 329 7
- Income recognition - release of product from a factory 179 9
- Ltd Company Buying Own Shares and Transferring Assets 47 1
- Offering Cash Prizes to University Students 85 3
- Finally a winner from HMRC!!! 318 3
- client threatening legal action 1,944 29
- Incorporation Relief 164 3
- Auto-Enrolment 3,996 187
- Can I claim mileage? 283 6
- limited company for IR35 154 1
- Ir35 test 136 2
- payroll software 261 2
- Mexican student in UK 182 4
- CIMA accountant wants to start consultancy 226 2
- Ownership of land - declaration of trust 93 2
- Annual Management Charge Rebates and Self Assessment Tax Return 182 1
- QuickBooks, Xero, FreeAgent and ClearBooks 896 19
- Dividend in specie 294 8
- Partnership Tax Return Deadline 132 1
- Skandia using wrong address 508
- FHL, period of grace and Entrepreneur's relief 285
- Does anyone use PS Financials accounting software out there? 282
- Employee rewards 264
- Legislation access for part-time sole practitioner? 237
- Rental Property W&T And Equipment 228
- Gift of reversion and lease into trust by two different people - later PPR 227
- EPS Analysis - Change to EURO 216
- Etax Australian 176
- LLP in Construction Industry 127