How to treat company loan to connected company
Ltd company A owned by husband & wife (60:40 shares) and doing very well.
Husband decides to try a new venture (much to our horror as he had no experience in this field) and sets up Ltd company B with same shareholding.
Company A lends £40k to company B at commerical rate of interest (7%) to pay for stock and set up.
Problem arises in that company B makes a large loss in its first year and sells almost nothing. Husband is looking to cease trading and wind the company up.
How do we treat writing off the loan in company A's books?
Does the write off bring no CT relief in company A and would the write off be treated as a distribution to the 2 shareholders? If so, is there any way to avoid this?
Advice much appreciated.
- Pounds Shillings and Pence 489 19
- Company dividends 359 12
- Tax return filed on time but payment late 379 6
- SA late payment penalty 161 3
- Death of taxpayer - personal allowance 281 8
- No codes in Sage 50 Nominal List? 81 1
- Copy Wanted 634 1
- Might income tax be payable on these gifts? 86 2
- How Long does it take to get an Agent ID 89 2
- Private Residence Relief after gift 99 3
- Software 302 7
- Companies House late filing penalties 2,409 81
- Buy to let property : Is parking bay tax deductible ? 254 5
- When is golf coaching a vatable supply? 162 2
- Comany ceasing to trade 152 2
- French resident, split year & UK close company dividends 115 1
- Closing a limited company 206 5
- Rental Income for Child Benefit Charge 147 2
- Obtaining old payslips & correcting historic tax overpayment 141 3
- Window Comb Binder Cover 353 6
- Form MR01 (Particulars of a charge) - does this need to be filed if you remortgage with the same lender? 852
- Underpaid VAT assessment and relation to SATR 539
- Did you realise Google will not patch android exploit ... 510
- Latest phishing scam 397
- Entrepreneurs' relief 372
- Supply teachers and Ltd Companies 329
- Cashback for opening business bank acct = trading income? 309
- Corporate LLP with 30 June Year end - How to record on SA800? 299
- Auto Enrolment Questions Answered 211
- Penalties- On Tax Returns (New Regime) 190