How to treat company loan to connected company
Ltd company A owned by husband & wife (60:40 shares) and doing very well.
Husband decides to try a new venture (much to our horror as he had no experience in this field) and sets up Ltd company B with same shareholding.
Company A lends £40k to company B at commerical rate of interest (7%) to pay for stock and set up.
Problem arises in that company B makes a large loss in its first year and sells almost nothing. Husband is looking to cease trading and wind the company up.
How do we treat writing off the loan in company A's books?
Does the write off bring no CT relief in company A and would the write off be treated as a distribution to the 2 shareholders? If so, is there any way to avoid this?
Advice much appreciated.
- Scams are not always obvious 859 28
- SAGE 50 PAYROLL YEAR END 14 1
- More RTI stuff 30 1
- Little PPR calc question 85 2
- 100% FYA, do I have to cliam all of it in 1 year? 349 5
- Expenses allowable against income from lodger 189 4
- Retrospective Credit Notes 45 2
- Can loss derived in first year of letting out be carried forward to be set off rental in next year? 472 9
- Relationship between amortisation and distributable profits 38 1
- Google contacts sharing within our domain 257 7
- Restructuring company and Form 42 102 5
- Personal allowance 489 11
- Limited Companies, Directors Employer Registration P11D 175 6
- Taxation of rental income 300 6
- Market Value/Connected Persons 232 9
- Overseas company and VAT 56 1
- SAGE - Filtering Inactive Suppliers/Customers 146 2
- Workshops centred around Xero 486 12
- RTI, no payroll but BIK 194 1
- P60 from HMRC Basic Paye Tools 204 2
- New Fangled Penalties 1,045
- Moving away from CCH software 912
- Recruitment agencies 535
- QROP pension input amounts 414
- write off loan or loan to equity swap or both 366
- Deemed Employment Payment 349
- HMRC BENCHMARK EXPENSES 315
- Unused Losses and Post Cessation Receipts 302
- fraud 230
- EIS relief on transferring shares to spouse 227