How to treat company loan to connected company
Ltd company A owned by husband & wife (60:40 shares) and doing very well.
Husband decides to try a new venture (much to our horror as he had no experience in this field) and sets up Ltd company B with same shareholding.
Company A lends £40k to company B at commerical rate of interest (7%) to pay for stock and set up.
Problem arises in that company B makes a large loss in its first year and sells almost nothing. Husband is looking to cease trading and wind the company up.
How do we treat writing off the loan in company A's books?
Does the write off bring no CT relief in company A and would the write off be treated as a distribution to the 2 shareholders? If so, is there any way to avoid this?
Advice much appreciated.
- MS Surface Pro 3 56 1
- Does anybody still use a Filofax? 555 19
- Financial statements in Word, with formulas 1,464 17
- HMRC Penalties - are they enforceable? 1,053 35
- Your fondest calculator memories 1,197 44
- R&D tax claim 248 7
- You think HMRC are inefficient? 519 9
- Company Pension Contributions 2013/14 175 7
- Profit accruing in fiduciary or representative capacity 128 2
- Gift to employee 371 12
- Tax Allowance on University Course 155 1
- Transfer of a business 126 1
- I hate HMRC's voice recognition system - The Inept Interrogator 1,136 22
- Investment property where tenant lives rent free 415 8
- VAT Cross Border Invoicing 116 2
- Sage Import Data 312 6
- Slight twist on employment related securities 245 1
- Child and Working Tax Credits and sudden increase in investment income - does this trigger a claw back? 130 2
- Best time software for small practice? 237 2
- Residents Association Corp Tax 320 13
- DTR : TIOPA 2010 Section 42 481
- CTA study material 456
- Sect 102 TMA 1970 334
- Pre incorp expenses 313
- Relief on French Tax Deposit? 269
- Anyone have clients that use Pay4Later to offer customers credit? 255
- What is the tax position if I am working overseas but via a UK agency? 207
- Gift Aid after 5 April, before 31 Jan - Tax Credits 161
- Anybody have that old ACCA Student Training Record (STR1) 142
- Taxation of partners in an LLP following new rules 135