How to treat company loan to connected company
Ltd company A owned by husband & wife (60:40 shares) and doing very well.
Husband decides to try a new venture (much to our horror as he had no experience in this field) and sets up Ltd company B with same shareholding.
Company A lends £40k to company B at commerical rate of interest (7%) to pay for stock and set up.
Problem arises in that company B makes a large loss in its first year and sells almost nothing. Husband is looking to cease trading and wind the company up.
How do we treat writing off the loan in company A's books?
Does the write off bring no CT relief in company A and would the write off be treated as a distribution to the 2 shareholders? If so, is there any way to avoid this?
Advice much appreciated.
- ACCA - still making me laugh 234 2
- UK Pension Income For Non-Residents 161 6
- Start up allowance? 463 13
- Old CGT loss 325 9
- New Starter Checklist 306 9
- Meal Allowance - Limited Company 440 7
- Gave wrong info to client about tax due 811 22
- Goodwill complications 350 7
- Accountancy practices - are you closed over Christmas or do you let your staff take it off? 588 21
- TaxCalc Accounts production 256 3
- HMRC Distraint 247 2
- Holding Company - Ltd or PLC? 211 2
- Will I need to resign? 700 9
- What are the implications for a UK company director resident in Canada 134 3
- HMRC BACK AND FORTH FIGHT ON BTL PROPERTY ALLOWANCES 391 8
- Gov.UK = NOT OK! 459 7
- Which operating version would be better to upgrade to..Windows V7 or V8? 1,050 16
- How to explain this to someone 283 1
- Is Co House "losing" Abbreviated Accounts? 1,429 20
- Should Nominal Ledger be given to new accountant 669 15
- TheTax Donut 1,071
- Follower cases 512
- Hive up 446
- Accounting referance change & deficient accounts. 413
- corporate hierarchy 405
- LIVE chat, starting now 389
- Advice - 224
- can anyone recommend Turkish speaking accountants in London 198
- Amortisation of Goodwill 195
- Anyone had HMRC refusing to act on EPS database glitch? 182