How to treat company loan to connected company
Ltd company A owned by husband & wife (60:40 shares) and doing very well.
Husband decides to try a new venture (much to our horror as he had no experience in this field) and sets up Ltd company B with same shareholding.
Company A lends £40k to company B at commerical rate of interest (7%) to pay for stock and set up.
Problem arises in that company B makes a large loss in its first year and sells almost nothing. Husband is looking to cease trading and wind the company up.
How do we treat writing off the loan in company A's books?
Does the write off bring no CT relief in company A and would the write off be treated as a distribution to the 2 shareholders? If so, is there any way to avoid this?
Advice much appreciated.
- General tax book with planning 135 2
- Limited Company - Personal Bank Account 3,184 69
- 2013/14 failure to submit end of year submission 268 11
- Gift of property & improvements 104 2
- Error in past Corporate tax return 331 5
- VAT Invoice 118 4
- Company overdue but wants to be struck off 796 32
- IHT and Swiss Property 120 1
- Sale of house with planning permission - tax free? 203 3
- Flat rate Vat Scheme & Vat on wholesale production of Cakes and other deserts 166 7
- Vat code for journal entries of director's expenses 138 2
- Claiming VAT and missing receipts 438 10
- HMRC overreaching its powers -again against a small surveying firm? 362 8
- Help with tax codes on Sage 248 1
- Letting relief on property transferred to a spouse 178 6
- VAT code for invoice from not VAT registered company 258 4
- Accounting for a finance lease 158 4
- SA302's anyone?? 531 16
- A change from the old Q v NQ debate 1,642 41
- Renting for military reasons 191 2
- Skandia using wrong address 1,620
- Nil Rate Band Trust - index linked debt by way of charge over property 900
- International interest certificate 509
- NOVA 368
- Have we escaped Gift with Reservation of Benfit & Pre-owned asset charges? - Gift after benefit 291
- Management expenses for investment company 263
- Bonus Bonds 260
- Entertainer withholding tax in Australia 172
- tax on apprenticeship income 172
- P11D benefit received by widow 148