How to treat company loan to connected company
Ltd company A owned by husband & wife (60:40 shares) and doing very well.
Husband decides to try a new venture (much to our horror as he had no experience in this field) and sets up Ltd company B with same shareholding.
Company A lends £40k to company B at commerical rate of interest (7%) to pay for stock and set up.
Problem arises in that company B makes a large loss in its first year and sells almost nothing. Husband is looking to cease trading and wind the company up.
How do we treat writing off the loan in company A's books?
Does the write off bring no CT relief in company A and would the write off be treated as a distribution to the 2 shareholders? If so, is there any way to avoid this?
Advice much appreciated.
- How would you account for warranty? 111 4
- LLP - Member leaving 88 5
- Sage 50 Accounts - Opening Bank Account Balance Posted to Nominal 9998 Suspense Account 382 22
- Sweet Tooth 129 6
- Personal returns late information - when to get tough? 1,015 13
- Error in 11-12 return done by previous accountant, do we have to offer them to correct or can I do and client reclaim cost 189 6
- CA self-employed income below personal allowance 157 2
- trading or dormant 95 2
- Goodwill ammortisation 84 1
- tax credits 118 5
- accruals and prepayments please help anyone out there 519 19
- Is there difference between when you state you will provide a specific provison and you will make a specific provision of £3200 against a partcular debt? 182 6
- When will Private Principal Residence Relief cut will start? 558 11
- Can rental income ever be trading income? 257 3
- Benefit In Kind Accommodation 108 1
- Tax Return Deadlines 191 3
- Foreign income for self employed 124 1
- Whats the best way to keep my accounts? 635 18
- Sage help...written off bad debt, done year end now bad payer wants to start to pay 82 2
- Who owns SAGE Data? 492 10
- Desperately seeking Susan, Sam or anyone with any other name 861
- Experience with Islamic investor following Sharia-compliant rules? 513
- Darwinpay Partnership Assessment 324
- How to format a stock book 303
- Tax efficient holding company structure 240
- S464A Charge to tax: conferring benefit & BIK 233
- Investment property company accounts template 223
- Outlook 2007 with business contact manager not loading on new laptop 217
- auto enrolment - calculation of first pension deduction 188
- RTI and Annual Directors Salary 158