How to treat company loan to connected company
Ltd company A owned by husband & wife (60:40 shares) and doing very well.
Husband decides to try a new venture (much to our horror as he had no experience in this field) and sets up Ltd company B with same shareholding.
Company A lends £40k to company B at commerical rate of interest (7%) to pay for stock and set up.
Problem arises in that company B makes a large loss in its first year and sells almost nothing. Husband is looking to cease trading and wind the company up.
How do we treat writing off the loan in company A's books?
Does the write off bring no CT relief in company A and would the write off be treated as a distribution to the 2 shareholders? If so, is there any way to avoid this?
Advice much appreciated.
- Place of Supply or these two contracts walk into a German Bar 224 4
- Auto-Enrolment 3,443 167
- OBK 182 5
- Proof of Delivery 110 1
- Accounting for a VAT Group 108 3
- Xero (another cloud system) and your year end accounts file 100 2
- NIC thresholds - two employments 1,680 25
- Twenty signs your practice is bad at tax 361 4
- Property expense - legal fees 102 2
- Any Scottish members out there? 15,720 588
- Rental Income Tax Planning 93 2
- What type of Trust? 91 1
- Dormant Company 123 2
- Research expenses for authors 239 4
- QuickBooks, Xero, FreeAgent and ClearBooks 768 16
- Withholding Tax - Invoicing Ecuador 120 2
- Company Loan to associated company 81 1
- VAT on “Reimbursement” from third parties 146 5
- CLG exempt under s60 157 3
- Late VAT registration penalty 182 4
- Best way to take money from a business if you have unlimited EIS allowances? 505
- Skandia using wrong address 456
- Does anyone use PS Financials accounting software out there? 266
- Employee rewards 244
- FHL, period of grace and Entrepreneur's relief 243
- Legislation access for part-time sole practitioner? 211
- EPS Analysis - Change to EURO 203
- Rental Property W&T And Equipment 191
- Gift of reversion and lease into trust by two different people - later PPR 185
- Etax Australian 155