How to Write off incorrect opening debtor balance
Our company moved from paper records to computer records for our accounting a couple of years ago in 2011.
We have found out that our opening trade debtor balance was overstated by 2k but have no idea what this relates to as a past accountant was doing the books.
We therefore want to write this 2k off in this financial year. Would the correct entry be to credit trade debtors and debit bad debts?
Thanks a lot for any advice.
- Xerocon 2016 1,017 24
- Entrepreneurs' Relief upon sale of a cash rich company 2,190 41
- buying asset and settling vendor's debt 230 6
- Posting invoices with balance brought forward 241 7
- HMRC now overriding SA bank repayment details on tax returns 595 12
- Personal Tax 494 11
- USA Tax Query 170 1
- Disengagement Help! 1,661 25
- Is HMRC Basic Tools basically wrong? 944 6
- Expenses paid by director (the comapny owner) 291 2
- Write an article on latest tax changes for landlords. 601 18
- Corrupt Excel File 674 10
- Website costs (intangible assets) tax relief 351 4
- Is Xero payroll as rubbish as I suspect it is? 1,975 43
- Locked Out of HMRC Online Account - HMRC Not Responding 290 2
- Re-Training costs - tax reief 412 7
- Capital Gain on Share Disposal with Held Over Gains 176 1
- 64-8's amazingly quick 336 4
- last minute request 516 5
- VAT - Check on clients business 1,254 46