I think a client has sacked me!
Hi. I recently wrote that I had completed all self assessment returns bar one and they hadn't sent me any information.
I am now updating this story......
I was on my agent login on HMRC website and clicked on said client to see if they had had their penalty charged yet. I was surprised to be informed that a tax return had been filed on 31 Jan. I assume it was the client themselves although I dont know how as they hadn't any login details.
I am obviously still entered as their agent as I could see their record and this is my problem....
There was a link to view filed return (which I didn't click on). Am I allowed to view it as I haven't filed it? Is my name linked to this record? What can I do to ensure I am not liable to a faulty return?
The reason I ask is that I have the clients self employment records and I haven't informed them of their profit (accounting or tax) as I haven't completed the accounts yet as I wasn't sure I would be paid (which obviously I wont be!)
If I am allowed to check the return and find an error I am obliged (I think) to report it under money laundering regs, is this right?
Any help and advice would be much appreciated.
- LIVE chat, starting now 412 2
- Late Registration for VAT 398 12
- Follower cases 527 1
- WHY AREN'T DWP RULES THE SAME BOTH WAYS ROUND 354 5
- TheTax Donut 1,100 1
- Depression - HMRC penalties case won because of this illness. 130 3
- Can S455 tax repaid 81 2
- PAYE coding out 72 1
- VAT avoidance? 80 1
- How come if you claim benefits you are not entitled to you either have to pay a 50% penalty or are sent to court and either fined or sent to prison (sometimes suspended) and end up with a criminal record. 251 6
- Batch input of data to Xero - is there an app? 689 10
- Accountancy practices - are you closed over Christmas or do you let your staff take it off? 652 22
- How to explain this to someone 355 2
- Solicitors now, Accountants next 157 2
- Register for self assessment again as LLP member? 64 2
- Problems with Sage 50 Payroll v21(2015) pension module 699 5
- TaxCalc Accounts production 290 4
- Old CGT loss 347 10
- ACCA - still making me laugh 320 2
- UK Pension Income For Non-Residents 175 6
- Hive up 452
- Accounting referance change & deficient accounts. 417
- corporate hierarchy 406
- Advice - 229
- can anyone recommend Turkish speaking accountants in London 202
- Amortisation of Goodwill 195
- WWOOFers 183
- Anyone had HMRC refusing to act on EPS database glitch? 183
- Legal Aid Agency claims and VAT 167
- Co. limited by Guarantee now closed 165