I think a client has sacked me!
Hi. I recently wrote that I had completed all self assessment returns bar one and they hadn't sent me any information.
I am now updating this story......
I was on my agent login on HMRC website and clicked on said client to see if they had had their penalty charged yet. I was surprised to be informed that a tax return had been filed on 31 Jan. I assume it was the client themselves although I dont know how as they hadn't any login details.
I am obviously still entered as their agent as I could see their record and this is my problem....
There was a link to view filed return (which I didn't click on). Am I allowed to view it as I haven't filed it? Is my name linked to this record? What can I do to ensure I am not liable to a faulty return?
The reason I ask is that I have the clients self employment records and I haven't informed them of their profit (accounting or tax) as I haven't completed the accounts yet as I wasn't sure I would be paid (which obviously I wont be!)
If I am allowed to check the return and find an error I am obliged (I think) to report it under money laundering regs, is this right?
Any help and advice would be much appreciated.
- What would you do in this situation? 466 12
- Travel and Substinance expenses while abroad 116 3
- Help Required 261 6
- Self Employed Self Assessment: Capital Allowance and Car Lease/HP 214 2
- What quality paper do you use for correspondence? 379 14
- What's in a name ? 211 4
- not self employed since March 2011 now received a penalty for late tax return for year 2012-13 136 3
- ATED Penalties 253 1
- late second payment on account 144 2
- US royalties 70 2
- Project being run jointly 116 2
- Reclaiming overpaid employer NI contributions 171 2
- Straightforward email correspondence or PDF letter attached to blank email? 153 3
- Sole trader mix up 281 4
- Vat on 'pig slurry' - palatable subject I know! 728 6
- FILING COMPANY ACCOUNTS 885 27
- Staff accommodation without a rental value or RV 205 4
- Filing company accounts 131 1
- Accountancy work for Farmers 499 16
- CIC Tax - what is trading? 157 5
- CTA study material 696
- Anyone have clients that use Pay4Later to offer customers credit? 421
- Employment related securities question 263
- AIM Stocks and IHT 243
- Tax Relief for overseas employees 195
- Trust for Employee 182
- Expat pension contributions? 180
- Quickbooks losing VAT return data 151
- Raiders of the Lost Tax File 142
- IPP (International Pension Plan) income 114