I thoughtI understood income tax. | AccountingWEB

I thoughtI understood income tax.

I have been asked to repay tax by HMRC on the grounds that I had not included ''underpaid tax for earlier years in your tax code for 2011/12''

My tax affairs are extremely simple, although I do have two employments.  I always submit SA forms on time etc.  Nowhere have I been notified that I have any 'underpaid tax in my PAYE code', whatever that may mean.

I had always thought that any 'inaccuracies' in my PAYE code during the tax year would be corrected at the end of the year when I submit my SA.

Can anyone put me wise, please?

There are 2 comments. Login or register to view them.

Look at the last notice of coding you got

Paul Scholes |
Paul Scholes's picture

As Paul says

ACDWebb |
ACDWebb's picture