IHT position if Parent gives house to Carer Daughter?
My mother, who requires 24-hour care, wishes to give her house to my sister. My sister, aged 58, is registered disabled herself but has for the last three years plus, managed to do a sterling job of care, helped not least by the fact that until recently, she was a senior nurse. This has saved a fortune in care home fees, previously running in excess of £40,000 p.a. It is clear that without my sister's support, my mother's limited quality of life would be even more grim.
After the gift, my mother would be required to pay my sister rent. As mother is doubly incontinent and occupies and uses only one room at all times, save for occasional use of the toilet outside her room, it is intended to charge £4,250 p.a., which my sister will claim under the Rent-a-Room provisions.
My sister has asked me to find out what is the IHT position. She has been advised that there is a tax break by virtue of her being my mother's carer.
Comments as to the viability of the gift from an IHT standpoint would be appreciated.
- Charging for book-keeping on a 'per transaction' basis 736 19
- How much did you pay for your website 359 12
- Simple Ltd company accounts service 299 8
- Fastest Software 470 6
- On line petition re HMRC grabbing money from taxpayer bank accounts 747 14
- Buying Microsoft's Surface Pro 3 55 1
- Sage Payroll & NIC 325 7
- Does anybody still use a Filofax? 1,279 32
- CCJ and Shareholder/ Director ramifications 218 1
- Tax Allowance on University Course 1,301 6
- Time recording software 270 3
- Vat threshold issues 1,284 11
- Importing data into CCH AP 71 1
- Self employment trap - pension 246 2
- Mixed partnerships - new rules 239 3
- Donaldson v HMRC - result?? 1,085 12
- Would this fall into IR35 198 3
- ECSL 201 3
- Company Pension Contributions 104 1
- Let Property Campaign 327 5
- DTR : TIOPA 2010 Section 42 583
- CTA study material 580
- Anyone have clients that use Pay4Later to offer customers credit? 347
- Taxation of partners in an LLP following new rules 276
- Employment related securities question 217
- Foreign Business setting up in UK 185
- ATED Penalties 180
- AIM Stocks and IHT 166
- Foreign Premium Distributions 138
- Tax Relief for overseas employees 119