IHT position if Parent gives house to Carer Daughter?
My mother, who requires 24-hour care, wishes to give her house to my sister. My sister, aged 58, is registered disabled herself but has for the last three years plus, managed to do a sterling job of care, helped not least by the fact that until recently, she was a senior nurse. This has saved a fortune in care home fees, previously running in excess of £40,000 p.a. It is clear that without my sister's support, my mother's limited quality of life would be even more grim.
After the gift, my mother would be required to pay my sister rent. As mother is doubly incontinent and occupies and uses only one room at all times, save for occasional use of the toilet outside her room, it is intended to charge £4,250 p.a., which my sister will claim under the Rent-a-Room provisions.
My sister has asked me to find out what is the IHT position. She has been advised that there is a tax break by virtue of her being my mother's carer.
Comments as to the viability of the gift from an IHT standpoint would be appreciated.
- CGT 240 4
- Is laminated flooring an improvement on carpets? 162 2
- Vat registration exception 62 2
- Do most of you still use MS Office? 412 10
- VAT rate charged by surveyor 66 1
- CGT 425 18
- Charity Grant accounting 87 3
- ethical- to continue to act or not? 398 10
- Property income in different capacities 202 4
- Entrepreneurs Relief 838 46
- Moneysoft and People's Pension 223 5
- EU eservices VAT change imminent 395 8
- how to object to registered company name... 208 1
- Recharge for private use of a company car 488 14
- What to say to Tom, Dick and Harry... 405 5
- VAT QUESTION 315 3
- More AE! 697 15
- Money Soft payroll 562 11
- Overdrawn Directors Loan Account 222 2
- Change of payroll software 431 10
- Auto enrolment excuses 1,195
- Feedback on accounts production software for IFRS 803
- Add T&Cs to Sales Order in Sage 497
- Digita Hosted Software 325
- Credit where credit's due....... 290
- Buying goods in US and selling them to company in US 230
- Flat rate VAT- other income calculation 170
- Double taxation relief - same income, different individual 146
- Corporation Tax return - more than one trade 139
- TheTax Donut 132