IHT position if Parent gives house to Carer Daughter?
My mother, who requires 24-hour care, wishes to give her house to my sister. My sister, aged 58, is registered disabled herself but has for the last three years plus, managed to do a sterling job of care, helped not least by the fact that until recently, she was a senior nurse. This has saved a fortune in care home fees, previously running in excess of £40,000 p.a. It is clear that without my sister's support, my mother's limited quality of life would be even more grim.
After the gift, my mother would be required to pay my sister rent. As mother is doubly incontinent and occupies and uses only one room at all times, save for occasional use of the toilet outside her room, it is intended to charge £4,250 p.a., which my sister will claim under the Rent-a-Room provisions.
My sister has asked me to find out what is the IHT position. She has been advised that there is a tax break by virtue of her being my mother's carer.
Comments as to the viability of the gift from an IHT standpoint would be appreciated.
- Time recording 19 1
- Land Registry 234 3
- Are there Sage Instant Accounts Plus report which give breakdowns of the debtors and creditors control account balances by invoice for each currency? 17 1
- Paying dividends to Ordinary shares with different nominal values 57 1
- 2012 13 HMRC QUERY 489 8
- How did you recalculate your payroll fees 944 13
- Auto Enrolment 650 4
- Limited company built a property and the client has made this messy 162 5
- Transferring rental property to limited company 373 12
- Separate companies same Director buy from each other 791 19
- Company Number 10000000 316 4
- Advertising Tips? 263 7
- Auto enrolment confusion 1,506 29
- IR35 352 5
- Exclusion of single director companies from the Employment Allowance in 2016/17 386 12
- Revenue phishing examples 196 1
- iris update 11.9.2 180 2
- VAT Box 7 and supplies from unregistered traders 447 13
- 2015 tax year end 530 1
- Company Structure 291 8
- Self employed and HMRC Worldwide Subsistence Rates 730
- Interest paid - do new rules affect Tax Credits? 431
- Self employed consultant working in Ireland 371
- Costly Accounting Software contract 355
- Directors' advances and credits 282
- Market Invoice (P2P invoice discounting) tax treatment 260
- DTA tie-breaker issue 249
- Tax on internet ad sharing income 232
- Credit against UK NI for NI paid to EEC Countries 209
- CGT for NOn UK residents 195