IHT position if Parent gives house to Carer Daughter?
My mother, who requires 24-hour care, wishes to give her house to my sister. My sister, aged 58, is registered disabled herself but has for the last three years plus, managed to do a sterling job of care, helped not least by the fact that until recently, she was a senior nurse. This has saved a fortune in care home fees, previously running in excess of £40,000 p.a. It is clear that without my sister's support, my mother's limited quality of life would be even more grim.
After the gift, my mother would be required to pay my sister rent. As mother is doubly incontinent and occupies and uses only one room at all times, save for occasional use of the toilet outside her room, it is intended to charge £4,250 p.a., which my sister will claim under the Rent-a-Room provisions.
My sister has asked me to find out what is the IHT position. She has been advised that there is a tax break by virtue of her being my mother's carer.
Comments as to the viability of the gift from an IHT standpoint would be appreciated.
- Is there a way around new dividend tax changes? 2,226 15
- PPR ELECTION 140 4
- Winning clients from retiring accountant - ethics/morals 511 10
- VAN Benefit in Kind - Tax Code 110 1
- Builing a gin palace but wants to rent out for a year first 427 3
- PAYE variance 161 1
- Partnership VAT reg - also applies to partner's INDIVIDUAL income? 187 4
- Employee leaving mid month and Payroll Manager 513 11
- Mother and son property ownership 458 1
- Resigning as a director 284 8
- Is it okay to make full time drivers self employed? 1,767 22
- Paper partnership return 148 2
- Repayment of Share Capital 302 4
- Asignment of lease and premium paid 196 3
- Over VAT threshold but now ceased trading 328 2
- Reclaim VAT charged by US company 230 2
- Entrepreneurs' Relief - we're too late, aren't we ? 633 6
- Sole Director Limited Company and Childcare..hat is most tax efficient way to do it? 508 6
- Joint arrangement but not an entity (JANE) ?? 254 2
- Travel expenses for director - flight 314 2
- NHS finance professionals 557
- Auto Enrolment and Foreign employers 371
- Foreign Pension Contribution 335
- Fines for late submission of the RDR 317
- Employee's statement of sickness (SC2) form - no longer available as downloadable pdf 297
- vat gross profit percentage margins 297
- Pre Season Invoice dated September how do you treat the VAT as not due until May 16 273
- SWAT AML v Anti Money Laundering Compliance Plus (AMLCP) 243
- EBT Self Assessment Return 230
- Thinning income 211