IHT position if Parent gives house to Carer Daughter?
My mother, who requires 24-hour care, wishes to give her house to my sister. My sister, aged 58, is registered disabled herself but has for the last three years plus, managed to do a sterling job of care, helped not least by the fact that until recently, she was a senior nurse. This has saved a fortune in care home fees, previously running in excess of £40,000 p.a. It is clear that without my sister's support, my mother's limited quality of life would be even more grim.
After the gift, my mother would be required to pay my sister rent. As mother is doubly incontinent and occupies and uses only one room at all times, save for occasional use of the toilet outside her room, it is intended to charge £4,250 p.a., which my sister will claim under the Rent-a-Room provisions.
My sister has asked me to find out what is the IHT position. She has been advised that there is a tax break by virtue of her being my mother's carer.
Comments as to the viability of the gift from an IHT standpoint would be appreciated.
- Auto Enrolment 136 2
- Cut-off accounting question 146 7
- VAT - How hard is it? 1,080 41
- Offshore bond assigned to UK discretionary trust 73 4
- Tax Filer - Transfering figures from partnership to personal returns 209 8
- Volontaire International en Entreprise (VIE) 88 2
- statutory maternity pay 91 3
- VAT & Offshore Companies 274 8
- Complicated situation with very old balances from previous accountant 399 8
- DIRECTOR LOAN ACCOUNT AND BALANCE 424 9
- Freelance/Employee 221 7
- RBS advising client they don't want his business 2,198 12
- Depreciation on purchase of software 288 4
- Does anyone know the name and postal address of HMRC's Data controller? 210 1
- What would you do? 507 4
- Remove Extinguished Charge 219 2
- Moneysoft - technical query 615 19
- IRIS OpenSpace won't upload CT600 properly 304 8
- Liquidation caught by transactions in securities? 83 1
- Class of Shares 138 1
- Any knowledge of salesorder.com 385
- Chart of account segments; Balance sheet vs P&L 338
- Could and would anyone here carry out a hot file review of some non statutory audit work please? 319
- Goodwill and the Summer 2015 Budget 304
- Electric Car 256
- S222 Charge 223
- What is the best acounting software for online international retail business? 216
- Foreign Tax on Pensions 208
- Company Structure 198
- How to treat NI and PAYE for overseas staff employed in UK? 164