IHT position if Parent gives house to Carer Daughter?
My mother, who requires 24-hour care, wishes to give her house to my sister. My sister, aged 58, is registered disabled herself but has for the last three years plus, managed to do a sterling job of care, helped not least by the fact that until recently, she was a senior nurse. This has saved a fortune in care home fees, previously running in excess of £40,000 p.a. It is clear that without my sister's support, my mother's limited quality of life would be even more grim.
After the gift, my mother would be required to pay my sister rent. As mother is doubly incontinent and occupies and uses only one room at all times, save for occasional use of the toilet outside her room, it is intended to charge £4,250 p.a., which my sister will claim under the Rent-a-Room provisions.
My sister has asked me to find out what is the IHT position. She has been advised that there is a tax break by virtue of her being my mother's carer.
Comments as to the viability of the gift from an IHT standpoint would be appreciated.
- Changing shareholding ratio 64 2
- New intermediaries reporting requirements 100 1
- SA1 forms 337 12
- Rolled up interest and late interest rules 121 5
- Goodwill Entrepreneurs Relief 75 1
- ICPA 420 6
- Do I need to see receipts ? 681 10
- Share disclosure re- Power of Attorney 138 5
- Cost of demolition of a shed - revenue or capital? 521 12
- VAT on services to EC customer 163 3
- Delayed option to tax 176 3
- Are any of you members of The Institute of Financial Accountants - Accountnats certificate 223 2
- Are you going to Tick and Bash on 21 May? 835 23
- Auto enrolment: What’s your plan? 340 3
- Cloud backups – know what you are getting … 418 7
- Redundancy Pay 333 4
- question about merging two companies... 200 1
- Latest repayment email =interesting paragraph 447 3
- CG on Spanish property disposal 237 7
- Entertaining - am I missing something or is my client taking the mickey 528 5
- Sainsbury's mangement 819
- Avanti Accounts 672
- Have I done the right thing? 645
- Calling franchise accountants 629
- Continuity Agreement 625
- Consolidated accounting software (or cloud based) 482
- Sage One Reports - do they add up? 356
- Scammers 320
- Advice please! 227
- Becoming a subcontractor to Accountancy Practices 211