IHT position if Parent gives house to Carer Daughter?
My mother, who requires 24-hour care, wishes to give her house to my sister. My sister, aged 58, is registered disabled herself but has for the last three years plus, managed to do a sterling job of care, helped not least by the fact that until recently, she was a senior nurse. This has saved a fortune in care home fees, previously running in excess of £40,000 p.a. It is clear that without my sister's support, my mother's limited quality of life would be even more grim.
After the gift, my mother would be required to pay my sister rent. As mother is doubly incontinent and occupies and uses only one room at all times, save for occasional use of the toilet outside her room, it is intended to charge £4,250 p.a., which my sister will claim under the Rent-a-Room provisions.
My sister has asked me to find out what is the IHT position. She has been advised that there is a tax break by virtue of her being my mother's carer.
Comments as to the viability of the gift from an IHT standpoint would be appreciated.
- Company valuation for IHT purposes 135 4
- Yorkshire Day 527 35
- Do I need a smartphone? 1,783 65
- Principal Private Residence relief on two semis knocked together 123 4
- Subcontractor and CIS Deductions made by Contractor 351 16
- Entrepreneurs relief sale of business to two different buyers?? 106 3
- Have you staged yet for auto enrolment? 586 1
- SMP reclaimable by employer 265 7
- Agent help line - long queues? 216 4
- the umbrella scheme for PAYE 94 1
- inflation rate year on year 81 2
- Deleted question? 652 15
- Self Assessment Tax Return Required ???? 285 8
- Company no longer showing on Companies House web site 348 8
- EU VAT Registration Thresholds 143 6
- E-Magazines and pdfs 144 3
- Late annual return 200 2
- Flat rate VAT 370 8
- corporation tax 481 5
- Credit card receipts vs VAT receipts 2,140 29
- Cancelled 458
- Cancelled 380
- SAGE Payroll Data for Import to MS Dynamics AX 372
- Probiz 351
- Free-standing washing machine - unfurnished lettings 350
- Phishing emails purporting to be from CIPFA? 254
- Is this UK incapacity benefit taxable in UK or Jersey? 232
- Another HMRC computer glitch? 224
- More spam 180
- Does anyone have SCI unit contact details? 155