IHT position if Parent gives house to Carer Daughter?
My mother, who requires 24-hour care, wishes to give her house to my sister. My sister, aged 58, is registered disabled herself but has for the last three years plus, managed to do a sterling job of care, helped not least by the fact that until recently, she was a senior nurse. This has saved a fortune in care home fees, previously running in excess of £40,000 p.a. It is clear that without my sister's support, my mother's limited quality of life would be even more grim.
After the gift, my mother would be required to pay my sister rent. As mother is doubly incontinent and occupies and uses only one room at all times, save for occasional use of the toilet outside her room, it is intended to charge £4,250 p.a., which my sister will claim under the Rent-a-Room provisions.
My sister has asked me to find out what is the IHT position. She has been advised that there is a tax break by virtue of her being my mother's carer.
Comments as to the viability of the gift from an IHT standpoint would be appreciated.
- When to register or not for PAYE 313 5
- Strike off after accounts submitted 59 1
- Assets requested back from supplier ? 302 4
- What is your favourite font? 384 11
- Opening Balances with very little info... 100 1
- CGT on Let Property 355 7
- Strike off 240 7
- Franchise affiliations 128 1
- Company investment 171 4
- Disclosure of 2014 corporation tax refund in 2015 accounts 100 1
- Gift to son by parents 352 3
- Is there no lower level to the work a lawyer would take on. 1,202 35
- How to find difference in Sage bank rec 176 4
- How do you pay Inheritance Tax when HMRC haven't demanded it 461 7
- New CASC rules 170 2
- Autoenrolment and variable earnings 277 2
- CIS subcontractor's invoice on QuickFile 156 4
- Treatment of private ambulances on introduction to business 258 6
- valuation of vehicles 535 20
- Settlements Legislation - Adult Children as shareholders 141 1
- RTI Rollback to delete incorrect data 342
- Any thoughts on Capium? 298
- Vouchedfor.co.uk 275
- Motor Traders Assistant Bookkeeping Programme queries 255
- Tracesmart/Lexis Nexis AML software? Any opinions? 242
- auto enrolment 218
- Sage Compatible P60's Self Seal 198
- Continuity of practice-ACCA 192
- How to account for investment in JV? 177
- Recommended International mobile phone coverage and costs? 169