IHT position if Parent gives house to Carer Daughter?
My mother, who requires 24-hour care, wishes to give her house to my sister. My sister, aged 58, is registered disabled herself but has for the last three years plus, managed to do a sterling job of care, helped not least by the fact that until recently, she was a senior nurse. This has saved a fortune in care home fees, previously running in excess of £40,000 p.a. It is clear that without my sister's support, my mother's limited quality of life would be even more grim.
After the gift, my mother would be required to pay my sister rent. As mother is doubly incontinent and occupies and uses only one room at all times, save for occasional use of the toilet outside her room, it is intended to charge £4,250 p.a., which my sister will claim under the Rent-a-Room provisions.
My sister has asked me to find out what is the IHT position. She has been advised that there is a tax break by virtue of her being my mother's carer.
Comments as to the viability of the gift from an IHT standpoint would be appreciated.
- client threatening legal action 2,098 30
- 1 investor and 1 director 50% shareholding each advice please 76 3
- Recomendations for a purchase order management book please? 133 2
- Finding a Company UTR for a newly formed company 137 1
- Instant CPD offer 291 4
- Cash basis 522 13
- Income from rent charged to business 143 2
- payroll software 377 3
- CIMA accountant wants to start consultancy 448 5
- Statutory sick pay 316 4
- Dividend in specie 372 9
- Complicated Company car purchase 224 2
- Ltd Company Buying Own Shares and Transferring Assets 180 3
- Retail vat schemes for a restaurant 148 1
- Rental Property W&T And Equipment 278 1
- Legislation access for part-time sole practitioner? 297 1
- Ownership of land - declaration of trust 178 3
- Fee base v staff ratio 398 6
- NIC thresholds - two employments 1,862 27
- Statutory Accounts - Dividends Disclosure Note 339 3
- Skandia using wrong address 582
- FHL, period of grace and Entrepreneur's relief 311
- Does anyone use PS Financials accounting software out there? 310
- Employee rewards 291
- Gift of reversion and lease into trust by two different people - later PPR 261
- EPS Analysis - Change to EURO 231
- Etax Australian 191
- LLP in Construction Industry 157
- Interest and late payment charges HMRC 134
- Selling On Amazon & Calculatign Prices/Vat 134