IHT position if Parent gives house to Carer Daughter?
My mother, who requires 24-hour care, wishes to give her house to my sister. My sister, aged 58, is registered disabled herself but has for the last three years plus, managed to do a sterling job of care, helped not least by the fact that until recently, she was a senior nurse. This has saved a fortune in care home fees, previously running in excess of £40,000 p.a. It is clear that without my sister's support, my mother's limited quality of life would be even more grim.
After the gift, my mother would be required to pay my sister rent. As mother is doubly incontinent and occupies and uses only one room at all times, save for occasional use of the toilet outside her room, it is intended to charge £4,250 p.a., which my sister will claim under the Rent-a-Room provisions.
My sister has asked me to find out what is the IHT position. She has been advised that there is a tax break by virtue of her being my mother's carer.
Comments as to the viability of the gift from an IHT standpoint would be appreciated.
- Taxfiler - SA100 - More efficient? 394 5
- See you all on the other side 584 6
- 12Pay 298 2
- dividends 387 2
- R&D 224 1
- Quarterly Reporting - The Logistics 1,092 17
- Auto enrolment contribution rates 384 3
- How long are you waiting for appeal reply 286 4
- Borrowing money to loan to company 249 1
- Mother as Guarantor for Son's mortgage 475 5
- Seeking a tax case 521 9
- When do we qualify for state pension? 381 4
- Companies house strike off 360 3
- Tax treatment of alterations to property 280 2
- Moving to the cloud 683 9
- Iris open space/doc exchange for SATRs 191 2
- How much to charge for payroll? 827 16
- Unincorporated charity transfer to CIO 181 4
- BTC vs Digita 1,050 29
- Has anyone tried calling HMRC to get tax on dividends put in code? 428 4
- HMRC Joint Filing 536
- Capital Contribution towards a company car 406
- Capital Reduction & Impact on EIS Shares 359
- IRIS and FRS 102 341
- Capitalising Finance Lease 303
- USA help 301
- National Minimum Wage issue on Directors joining a Workplace Pension 272
- Dormant company accounts under FRS 102 261
- Capital gains on rental property 244
- Sage Coretime 225