IHT position if Parent gives house to Carer Daughter?
My mother, who requires 24-hour care, wishes to give her house to my sister. My sister, aged 58, is registered disabled herself but has for the last three years plus, managed to do a sterling job of care, helped not least by the fact that until recently, she was a senior nurse. This has saved a fortune in care home fees, previously running in excess of £40,000 p.a. It is clear that without my sister's support, my mother's limited quality of life would be even more grim.
After the gift, my mother would be required to pay my sister rent. As mother is doubly incontinent and occupies and uses only one room at all times, save for occasional use of the toilet outside her room, it is intended to charge £4,250 p.a., which my sister will claim under the Rent-a-Room provisions.
My sister has asked me to find out what is the IHT position. She has been advised that there is a tax break by virtue of her being my mother's carer.
Comments as to the viability of the gift from an IHT standpoint would be appreciated.
- Sale of land at an undervalue in return for an income stream? 15 2
- Client's company struck off 2,237 27
- sage 214 5
- Little Green Man needs help HGV driver LTD company 286 7
- Sage Payroll 258 5
- R&D tax credits 123 6
- Pre trading expenditure 69 1
- Reverse charge on services between UK and IE 114 2
- Double entry 275 6
- ATED on a hotel that isn't in use? 136 2
- Do you get your clients to sign their EOY EPS submission? 1,181 18
- Trust income, R185 form 101 1
- ACCA, ACPA, IFA, ICPA 786 12
- Improvements to leasehold property and Capital Allowances 86 2
- Annual Report - How to? 512 25
- Outsourcing Payroll 239 3
- CIS Set off 90 1
- 15% restirction on lease cars 204 3
- Rent -sole trader 138 1
- Accountants not providing all required information 384 5
- HMRC BENCHMARK EXPENSES 548
- write off loan or loan to equity swap or both 471
- EPS and CIS deductions 330
- Sole trade business in UK, but the owner works from EU 312
- Construction CIS LLP Company 306
- Stamp duty on house transfer between spouses 301
- Tax Investigation - Employee Travel 272
- Overdrawn director account 229
- LIVE: Budget aftermath webinar 206
- Services via intermediaries and new HMRC reporting requirements 205