IHT position if Parent gives house to Carer Daughter?
My mother, who requires 24-hour care, wishes to give her house to my sister. My sister, aged 58, is registered disabled herself but has for the last three years plus, managed to do a sterling job of care, helped not least by the fact that until recently, she was a senior nurse. This has saved a fortune in care home fees, previously running in excess of £40,000 p.a. It is clear that without my sister's support, my mother's limited quality of life would be even more grim.
After the gift, my mother would be required to pay my sister rent. As mother is doubly incontinent and occupies and uses only one room at all times, save for occasional use of the toilet outside her room, it is intended to charge £4,250 p.a., which my sister will claim under the Rent-a-Room provisions.
My sister has asked me to find out what is the IHT position. She has been advised that there is a tax break by virtue of her being my mother's carer.
Comments as to the viability of the gift from an IHT standpoint would be appreciated.
- Why should I retain membership? 2,117 35
- IR35 - it it worth worrying about any more? 240 3
- Recording fuel VAT adjustment in Sage 51 1
- Pension contributions and unused allowances 49 1
- Stamp duty on multiple property transaction 198 12
- BTL property solely in wife's name - can she split rental income with husband? 456 14
- Recourse to Accountant for incorrect accounts 632 10
- Surprise visit from HMRC! 2,130 13
- CIS deductions against the wrong UTR 136 5
- Is CGT roll over relief available for let property 65 1
- HMRC Underpayment notices. Are they related to Employers Allowance 155 1
- Starting Self Employment while Employed in Practice 2,609 41
- Company purchase of shares 228 14
- VAT: option to tax 205 5
- Prior Year Adjustments 196 3
- Payroll software 587 14
- Permanent Place of Work & Travel & Subsistence 166 4
- Auto renewed contract, is this legal/enforceable?? 233 1
- xerocon 362 11
- Money Soft payroll 396 10
- Feedback on accounts production software for IFRS 681
- Auto enrolment excuses 598
- Add T&Cs to Sales Order in Sage 359
- Call Centre Data Costs 174
- Social investment tax relief 173
- Digita Hosted Software 169
- option to tax 155
- Buying goods in US and selling them to company in US 134
- VAT on deposits 132
- Cars Leased primarily for Taxi Hire 129