IHT position if Parent gives house to Carer Daughter?
My mother, who requires 24-hour care, wishes to give her house to my sister. My sister, aged 58, is registered disabled herself but has for the last three years plus, managed to do a sterling job of care, helped not least by the fact that until recently, she was a senior nurse. This has saved a fortune in care home fees, previously running in excess of £40,000 p.a. It is clear that without my sister's support, my mother's limited quality of life would be even more grim.
After the gift, my mother would be required to pay my sister rent. As mother is doubly incontinent and occupies and uses only one room at all times, save for occasional use of the toilet outside her room, it is intended to charge £4,250 p.a., which my sister will claim under the Rent-a-Room provisions.
My sister has asked me to find out what is the IHT position. She has been advised that there is a tax break by virtue of her being my mother's carer.
Comments as to the viability of the gift from an IHT standpoint would be appreciated.
- HMRC website & Adobe Reader 21 1
- The stupidity continues 2,259 100
- Landlord probs - IHT, CGT and cashflow 115 2
- Clearbooks - creating a HP Account 179 7
- Pension Fund Audit for HMRC form APSS106 - suggested program? 35 1
- Excel file Corrupted 109 3
- Benefit in kind but no salary 116 2
- Ishares Ftse 100 (ETF) -Ireland 112 1
- Marketing and email surprises 494 10
- Cis refund for company 166 3
- 45p mileage - stupid question 386 4
- Sage Line 50 - create custom remittance advices 136 1
- Taxable turnover for VAT registration 211 8
- CIS. Why is it so complicated? 2,477 27
- PRR and Letting relief 116 2
- Do I need to make a P11D provision in Accs? 159 2
- CGT on transfer of property 265 15
- Capital Event? 151 4
- Transfer of property to director & shareholder 99 1
- Xero Training 351 2
- Straight line write off of Purchase Goodwill ??? 456
- Has anyone been affected by the RBS payment breakdown? 450
- WIP Software 317
- FRS 102 compliant illustrative accounts for an insurance company 301
- No payroll scheme in place 255
- CGT, PPR and transfer of equity to spouse. 250
- Do subcontractors on work for residential (student accomodation) construction 233
- Is there anything wrong with this? 229
- Small Part Disposal of Property 209
- Uncommercial property business 203