IHT position if Parent gives house to Carer Daughter?
My mother, who requires 24-hour care, wishes to give her house to my sister. My sister, aged 58, is registered disabled herself but has for the last three years plus, managed to do a sterling job of care, helped not least by the fact that until recently, she was a senior nurse. This has saved a fortune in care home fees, previously running in excess of £40,000 p.a. It is clear that without my sister's support, my mother's limited quality of life would be even more grim.
After the gift, my mother would be required to pay my sister rent. As mother is doubly incontinent and occupies and uses only one room at all times, save for occasional use of the toilet outside her room, it is intended to charge £4,250 p.a., which my sister will claim under the Rent-a-Room provisions.
My sister has asked me to find out what is the IHT position. She has been advised that there is a tax break by virtue of her being my mother's carer.
Comments as to the viability of the gift from an IHT standpoint would be appreciated.
- Dress code 1,151 26
- Joining the flat rate scheme retrospectively 625 8
- Scottish Independance 419 13
- How to complain about HMRC 849 12
- French Excise Duty - Help Please! 317 8
- VAT Flat rate scheme for property management company 68 2
- NOMINAL CODES 307 4
- Do HMRC automatically close inactive PAYE schemes? 154 2
- Recommendations for Ross Martin Tax Consultancy 2014 687 5
- What quality paper do you use for correspondence? 660 17
- VAT on goods never entered the UK 275 9
- Interest relief before property is rented out 218 4
- Which company is best for online new company formation? 365 7
- What is the best practice for running a roofing company in Sage 422 9
- Sharing of Fixed Assets 95 1
- Quickbooks losing VAT return data 244 1
- CIC Tax - what is trading? 331 12
- How much did you pay for your website 1,601 27
- Dividend 430 6
- FRS and Debtors 241 2
- CTA study material 745
- Anyone have clients that use Pay4Later to offer customers credit? 460
- Raiders of the Lost Tax File 335
- Employment related securities question 298
- AIM Stocks and IHT 273
- Tax Relief for overseas employees 243
- Expat pension contributions? 234
- Trust for Employee 226
- IPP (International Pension Plan) income 140
- Wind Turbine - Company or not? 128