IHT position if Parent gives house to Carer Daughter?
My mother, who requires 24-hour care, wishes to give her house to my sister. My sister, aged 58, is registered disabled herself but has for the last three years plus, managed to do a sterling job of care, helped not least by the fact that until recently, she was a senior nurse. This has saved a fortune in care home fees, previously running in excess of £40,000 p.a. It is clear that without my sister's support, my mother's limited quality of life would be even more grim.
After the gift, my mother would be required to pay my sister rent. As mother is doubly incontinent and occupies and uses only one room at all times, save for occasional use of the toilet outside her room, it is intended to charge £4,250 p.a., which my sister will claim under the Rent-a-Room provisions.
My sister has asked me to find out what is the IHT position. She has been advised that there is a tax break by virtue of her being my mother's carer.
Comments as to the viability of the gift from an IHT standpoint would be appreciated.
- CIS Deductions 261 7
- sole trader to ltd company 94 2
- New desktop accounting and payroll, help, please 128 3
- Rogue Accountant 1,078 33
- Is cloud accounting software all just pie in the sky 1,111 35
- Spousal transfer and PPR 305 10
- Personal bank account in limited company 235 7
- Dual taxation - usa 186 2
- My house has fallen down 461 13
- CGT on residential property for a non resident and PPR relief 103 1
- Timing of LTD CIS rebates 285 10
- Quickbooks Desktop - 14/15 Employment Allowance 255 7
- Inheritance Tax Advice 104 1
- Directors Salary and Directors Loan Account and RTI 112 1
- Tax refunds for 2014/15 560 8
- Getting fees, getting harder? 948 22
- Working in Iraq, how to treat the income 288 4
- What are the tax implications of bringing funds into the UK from abroad? 207 2
- Property sale split between years 160 5
- VAT charge on e-service supply 99 3
- Services via intermediaries and new HMRC reporting requirements 640
- LIVE: Budget aftermath webinar 405
- Pensions Regulator 379
- NIC contribution on unremitted income 324
- RTI - duplicate employee record 323
- Using the correct forms 299
- SA penalty proposals 296
- How hard is it to reduce a code? 278
- Digital marketing focus group 198
- Sage Vat return box 2 187