IHT position if Parent gives house to Carer Daughter?
My mother, who requires 24-hour care, wishes to give her house to my sister. My sister, aged 58, is registered disabled herself but has for the last three years plus, managed to do a sterling job of care, helped not least by the fact that until recently, she was a senior nurse. This has saved a fortune in care home fees, previously running in excess of £40,000 p.a. It is clear that without my sister's support, my mother's limited quality of life would be even more grim.
After the gift, my mother would be required to pay my sister rent. As mother is doubly incontinent and occupies and uses only one room at all times, save for occasional use of the toilet outside her room, it is intended to charge £4,250 p.a., which my sister will claim under the Rent-a-Room provisions.
My sister has asked me to find out what is the IHT position. She has been advised that there is a tax break by virtue of her being my mother's carer.
Comments as to the viability of the gift from an IHT standpoint would be appreciated.
- Shutting down a company with creditors 1,463 31
- Is this fraud? 292 5
- Saying goodbye 413 13
- Now Scotland has voted "No", when does England get to vote? 819 36
- Tax on private fuel for own car 191 5
- Is it possible to retrospectively change the tax year that dividends were paid. 351 16
- Sportman claiming for training kit 991 11
- Flat rate scheme 169 3
- Drop box Storage 193 3
- Private portion of costs and expenses in Accounts 273 13
- Any Scottish members out there? 11,188 413
- Has HMRC got powers to do this? 619 4
- Furnished lettings criteria 128 1
- Is there an expert in Excel out there? 415 5
- SAGE TRANSACTIONS DATA 133 2
- Pension Contributions Relief 364 11
- Recovering VAT on property purchase 117 1
- Tax on interest received from insurance company 204 2
- Unnecessary S9A Enquiries 306 1
- Naming new company 208 4
- Raiders of the Lost Tax File 1,270
- Chartered Accountant in County Down N.Ireland 453
- National Insurance 352
- Non Resident 266
- Cass 5 FCA Client Money Software recomendation 259
- Franchise income and costs 238
- Hands on experience of Digita 196
- Employer's Helpline 144
- Best way to take money from a business if you have unlimited EIS allowances? 139
- employment capital allowances 136