IHT position if Parent gives house to Carer Daughter?
My mother, who requires 24-hour care, wishes to give her house to my sister. My sister, aged 58, is registered disabled herself but has for the last three years plus, managed to do a sterling job of care, helped not least by the fact that until recently, she was a senior nurse. This has saved a fortune in care home fees, previously running in excess of £40,000 p.a. It is clear that without my sister's support, my mother's limited quality of life would be even more grim.
After the gift, my mother would be required to pay my sister rent. As mother is doubly incontinent and occupies and uses only one room at all times, save for occasional use of the toilet outside her room, it is intended to charge £4,250 p.a., which my sister will claim under the Rent-a-Room provisions.
My sister has asked me to find out what is the IHT position. She has been advised that there is a tax break by virtue of her being my mother's carer.
Comments as to the viability of the gift from an IHT standpoint would be appreciated.
- Depression - HMRC penalties case won because of this illness. 268 11
- Tax return software for remote working 419 4
- Solicitors now, Accountants next 414 9
- Accountancy practices - are you closed over Christmas or do you let your staff take it off? 751 24
- How come if you claim benefits you are not entitled to you either have to pay a 50% penalty or are sent to court and either fined or sent to prison (sometimes suspended) and end up with a criminal record. 375 9
- WHY AREN'T DWP RULES THE SAME BOTH WAYS ROUND 425 9
- How to purchase business premises? 105 2
- Will I need to resign? 760 10
- Childcare vouchers 110 3
- Base value unavailable re. Capital Gain 257 5
- Management Company Setup Structure as Limited Company 285 6
- VAT avoidance? 192 4
- Can S455 tax repaid 164 3
- PAYE coding out 151 3
- Follower cases 567 2
- LIVE chat, starting now 447 2
- Late Registration for VAT 444 12
- TheTax Donut 1,138 1
- Batch input of data to Xero - is there an app? 703 10
- How to explain this to someone 413 2
- Hive up 464
- Accounting referance change & deficient accounts. 430
- corporate hierarchy 411
- Advice - 239
- can anyone recommend Turkish speaking accountants in London 209
- Amortisation of Goodwill 208
- Anyone had HMRC refusing to act on EPS database glitch? 195
- WWOOFers 188
- Art Gallery - Splitting a property between business and personal use 170
- Legal Aid Agency claims and VAT 169