An illegal trade - tax consequences?
It transpires that a client has been lending money without a licence, for about six years. We knew nothing about this, and since it was apparently in cash and it seems every penny was reinvested rather than spent, there was effectively nothing to pick up on. It started very small and grew.
The situation has come to light after a Customs raid on a completely different matter (!) that turned up the loan books.
A court case is in the process, but we are wondering about the tax consequences.
We are told that the loan business was profitable whilst being carried out, with the loan balances quadrupling in the six years of trading (so around 400% return over six years). However now that the whole matter is out in the open the authorites have told him that as he does not have a licence, will not get a licence, and hasn't the correct loan documentation in place, he is not allowed to try and collect his debts, so virtually everything is lost (profits and initial capital).
HMRC are not aware of any of this yet, or if they are they haven't said anything. There's little doubt that they will become aware we think.
So what plan of action is suggested, and what is the tax situation?
Our understanding is that profits from a trade are taxable, regardless of whether legal or illegal. So what about the loss at the end - is this allowable for tax also?
What's the best way to come clean to HMRC in advance?
- private to company car? 323 7
- Do I charge VAT for event I held in Paris 238 5
- PAYE Refund Farce At HMRC 929 15
- VAT Cross Border Invoicing 73 1
- Car maintenance costs deductible against CT 227 6
- Best time software for small practice? 161 1
- Does anybody still use a Filofax? 441 17
- Vat threshold issues 431 10
- Sale of an investment between group companies 155 7
- Your fondest calculator memories 1,100 41
- What is the reasoning behind HMRC letter re high income child benefit charge? 449 9
- Gift to employee 288 5
- Residents Association Corp Tax 292 12
- Investment property where tenant lives rent free 373 7
- I hate HMRC's voice recognition system - The Inept Interrogator 1,035 21
- Letter from HMRC telling me client passed away 1,970 27
- Sage Forecasting - Print filename 313 1
- Unquoted company valuation multiples 113 1
- Joining the flat rate scheme retrospectively 279 6
- Question re Career choice... 1,525 9
- DTR : TIOPA 2010 Section 42 467
- CTA study material 448
- Sect 102 TMA 1970 320
- Pre incorp expenses 299
- Relief on French Tax Deposit? 256
- Anyone have clients that use Pay4Later to offer customers credit? 246
- Slight twist on employment related securities 223
- How to claim additional losses after mistake in CT return 211
- What is the tax position if I am working overseas but via a UK agency? 199
- Gift Aid after 5 April, before 31 Jan - Tax Credits 141