An illegal trade - tax consequences?
It transpires that a client has been lending money without a licence, for about six years. We knew nothing about this, and since it was apparently in cash and it seems every penny was reinvested rather than spent, there was effectively nothing to pick up on. It started very small and grew.
The situation has come to light after a Customs raid on a completely different matter (!) that turned up the loan books.
A court case is in the process, but we are wondering about the tax consequences.
We are told that the loan business was profitable whilst being carried out, with the loan balances quadrupling in the six years of trading (so around 400% return over six years). However now that the whole matter is out in the open the authorites have told him that as he does not have a licence, will not get a licence, and hasn't the correct loan documentation in place, he is not allowed to try and collect his debts, so virtually everything is lost (profits and initial capital).
HMRC are not aware of any of this yet, or if they are they haven't said anything. There's little doubt that they will become aware we think.
So what plan of action is suggested, and what is the tax situation?
Our understanding is that profits from a trade are taxable, regardless of whether legal or illegal. So what about the loss at the end - is this allowable for tax also?
What's the best way to come clean to HMRC in advance?
- Sage Instant Accounts Complete De-install problem 83 3
- Credit against UK NI for NI paid to EEC Countries 228 1
- will this work for IHT 249 2
- Best software for small practice? 633 20
- Paid too much !! 242 2
- Auto enrolment confusion 1,741 39
- I am 34 years old, am I too old to start a career in Accounting ? which is the best way to pursue it 252 7
- Taxfiler been down since mid-afternoon 191 5
- Anyone having problems with Taxfiler 480 17
- Gifting Shares to a Limited Company 112 1
- Company separation for Wholesale & Retail businesses 91 1
- Selling a VAT Qualifying vehicle at a loss 93 1
- Paying dividends to Ordinary shares with different nominal values 475 15
- 2012 13 HMRC QUERY 748 11
- Sports Sponsorship 144 1
- New Shareholder and Purchase of Own Share 260 17
- Opt To Tax Refund 213 2
- Divorcing husband, both 50% owners of a Ltd business 246 6
- Is the CT61 return dead? 1,326 14
- How did you recalculate your payroll fees 1,271 21
- Self employed and HMRC Worldwide Subsistence Rates 766
- Interest paid - do new rules affect Tax Credits? 454
- Market Invoice (P2P invoice discounting) tax treatment 274
- DTA tie-breaker issue 262
- Tax on internet ad sharing income 246
- CGT for NOn UK residents 220
- Apprenticeship Levy 202
- What are the tax implications of overseas sales through a UK based company? 191
- Capital Gains personal representatives 181
- Just checking re PSA 175