An illegal trade - tax consequences?
It transpires that a client has been lending money without a licence, for about six years. We knew nothing about this, and since it was apparently in cash and it seems every penny was reinvested rather than spent, there was effectively nothing to pick up on. It started very small and grew.
The situation has come to light after a Customs raid on a completely different matter (!) that turned up the loan books.
A court case is in the process, but we are wondering about the tax consequences.
We are told that the loan business was profitable whilst being carried out, with the loan balances quadrupling in the six years of trading (so around 400% return over six years). However now that the whole matter is out in the open the authorites have told him that as he does not have a licence, will not get a licence, and hasn't the correct loan documentation in place, he is not allowed to try and collect his debts, so virtually everything is lost (profits and initial capital).
HMRC are not aware of any of this yet, or if they are they haven't said anything. There's little doubt that they will become aware we think.
So what plan of action is suggested, and what is the tax situation?
Our understanding is that profits from a trade are taxable, regardless of whether legal or illegal. So what about the loss at the end - is this allowable for tax also?
What's the best way to come clean to HMRC in advance?
- Signifcant Debts skew SA Tax Liability 1,375 23
- Reversing opening balances 73 2
- Vat Receipts 274 8
- Is it just me... 130 3
- Reducing payments on account 266 6
- File naming best practice 560 20
- Sage bookkeeping 58 2
- How to declare profits on death of partner 188 8
- What leverage do I have with accountants if any? 1,458 47
- Non sequitur 1,622 21
- Hmrc agent 212 1
- HRP and child benefit 63 2
- Accounting for Volunteer Vouchers 48 2
- Sole trader - change year end 76 3
- Vat on insurance 194 2
- Tradesman client in poor health involved in something dodgy 766 21
- Working Tax Credits 163 5
- LLP - Member leaving 447 13
- As if we haven't got enough to do at this time of year! 458 6
- Value Shifting 102 1
- Darwinpay Partnership Assessment 522
- Alphabet shares 356
- confusion about 225
- Membership of SPA 206
- Sole trader renting property from self and co owner 201
- Maximum AIA Claimable 186
- Alternate 173
- hp versus contract hire versus lease purchase with balloon 143
- Tax treatment of lost partnership capital 138
- Recommend commission tracking software? 136