An illegal trade - tax consequences?
It transpires that a client has been lending money without a licence, for about six years. We knew nothing about this, and since it was apparently in cash and it seems every penny was reinvested rather than spent, there was effectively nothing to pick up on. It started very small and grew.
The situation has come to light after a Customs raid on a completely different matter (!) that turned up the loan books.
A court case is in the process, but we are wondering about the tax consequences.
We are told that the loan business was profitable whilst being carried out, with the loan balances quadrupling in the six years of trading (so around 400% return over six years). However now that the whole matter is out in the open the authorites have told him that as he does not have a licence, will not get a licence, and hasn't the correct loan documentation in place, he is not allowed to try and collect his debts, so virtually everything is lost (profits and initial capital).
HMRC are not aware of any of this yet, or if they are they haven't said anything. There's little doubt that they will become aware we think.
So what plan of action is suggested, and what is the tax situation?
Our understanding is that profits from a trade are taxable, regardless of whether legal or illegal. So what about the loss at the end - is this allowable for tax also?
What's the best way to come clean to HMRC in advance?
- Micro-entity accounts 29 1
- Cost of demolition of a shed - revenue or capital? 773 23
- Are you going to Tick and Bash on 21 May? 961 26
- US company hiring UK citizens in UK 76 1
- Related party disclosure 109 3
- Inflation and fees 1,273 23
- Company reconstruction 49 1
- Missing tax return 232 3
- Rolled up interest and late interest rules 206 6
- US LLC - anomaly in UK and US treatment 82 3
- Basic Tools and PAYE succession 124 1
- Advice please! 379 2
- VAT on new builds 144 3
- incorrect old p60 207 3
- CGT query on investment property sale 109 1
- Summarise excel cashbook by month 339 6
- Are accountants facing a doomsday scenario? 1,927 28
- Redundancy Pay 441 6
- Entertaining - am I missing something or is my client taking the mickey 724 6
- Sage Priority Support 124 2