An illegal trade - tax consequences?
It transpires that a client has been lending money without a licence, for about six years. We knew nothing about this, and since it was apparently in cash and it seems every penny was reinvested rather than spent, there was effectively nothing to pick up on. It started very small and grew.
The situation has come to light after a Customs raid on a completely different matter (!) that turned up the loan books.
A court case is in the process, but we are wondering about the tax consequences.
We are told that the loan business was profitable whilst being carried out, with the loan balances quadrupling in the six years of trading (so around 400% return over six years). However now that the whole matter is out in the open the authorites have told him that as he does not have a licence, will not get a licence, and hasn't the correct loan documentation in place, he is not allowed to try and collect his debts, so virtually everything is lost (profits and initial capital).
HMRC are not aware of any of this yet, or if they are they haven't said anything. There's little doubt that they will become aware we think.
So what plan of action is suggested, and what is the tax situation?
Our understanding is that profits from a trade are taxable, regardless of whether legal or illegal. So what about the loss at the end - is this allowable for tax also?
What's the best way to come clean to HMRC in advance?
- Anybody still doing returns? 723 31
- Clothing 514 13
- Change to PAYE TAX CODE 138 5
- Capital allowances on transfer of business 160 7
- Parent and subsidiary... 78 2
- Capital Gains PPR and allocation of costs 344 16
- Designated sole Residence 138 2
- HMRC Sends Derbyshire pensioner Doug Yeomans tax demand for £4.7 BILLION! 717 15
- Anyone know what this is? 237 6
- HMRC filing meltdown? 894 27
- 'My colleague fills in his own Self Assessment" and he/she claims,x,y and z" 508 7
- Selling Capital Allowences from Self Employed to Ltd Buisness 264 9
- no utr 289 8
- client can't/won't pay 2,122 49
- Director drawings 606 32
- Tax Returns for non residents 293 2
- Investment properties/freehold land 91 1
- Capital Loss 131 3
- LLP formed in 2013 103 1
- File Abbreviated LLP accounts online? 206 7
- Form MR01 (Particulars of a charge) - does this need to be filed if you remortgage with the same lender? 954
- Underpaid VAT assessment and relation to SATR 675
- Did you realise Google will not patch android exploit ... 622
- Latest phishing scam 598
- Cashback for opening business bank acct = trading income? 437
- Auto Enrolment Questions Answered 325
- Scratch Head 264
- Loan benefit after person ceases as director/employee 255
- Sabbatical payments 217
- Negligible Value Claim 197