An illegal trade - tax consequences?
It transpires that a client has been lending money without a licence, for about six years. We knew nothing about this, and since it was apparently in cash and it seems every penny was reinvested rather than spent, there was effectively nothing to pick up on. It started very small and grew.
The situation has come to light after a Customs raid on a completely different matter (!) that turned up the loan books.
A court case is in the process, but we are wondering about the tax consequences.
We are told that the loan business was profitable whilst being carried out, with the loan balances quadrupling in the six years of trading (so around 400% return over six years). However now that the whole matter is out in the open the authorites have told him that as he does not have a licence, will not get a licence, and hasn't the correct loan documentation in place, he is not allowed to try and collect his debts, so virtually everything is lost (profits and initial capital).
HMRC are not aware of any of this yet, or if they are they haven't said anything. There's little doubt that they will become aware we think.
So what plan of action is suggested, and what is the tax situation?
Our understanding is that profits from a trade are taxable, regardless of whether legal or illegal. So what about the loss at the end - is this allowable for tax also?
What's the best way to come clean to HMRC in advance?
- Why do HMRC have a different FPS liability to the amount I sent? 1,695 22
- Limited Company - Personal Bank Account 2,289 40
- How to account fot Cross-border vat. 79 1
- Paint Manufacturer Flat Rate Scheme 272 12
- Entrepreneurs' relief for trustees - receipt of rent 131 3
- VAT on motor expenses 877 31
- Associated companies - CT small profits relief 153 7
- Introduction of Goodwill 179 5
- PayPal Transaction Analysis 152 4
- Incorporation - any tax advantage? 734 19
- Company overdue but wants to be struck off 382 12
- Money transfers between companies owned by one person 195 9
- A change from the old Q v NQ debate 323 11
- Sage 50 (2010) 100 2
- ideas for a bonus scheme for accountants 387 3
- Recommendation of US tax adviser? 90 1
- Notes to statutory accounts 322 15
- Two clients (married to each other) disappeared from client list 399 9
- VAT code for invoice from not VAT registered company 133 2
- HMRC VAT misstatement disclosure 96 1
- Skandia using wrong address 1,540
- Nil Rate Band Trust - index linked debt by way of charge over property 848
- International interest certificate 467
- NOVA 325
- Subby expenses subject to tax & NI? 225
- Can Limited Company Buy Share of Rental Property? 216
- Bonus Bonds 206
- Management expenses for investment company 202
- DOUBLE TAXATION RELIEF BETWEEN A PRIVATE LTD COMPANY AND GREECE (the private Ltd has no employees and its main activity is 194
- Have we escaped Gift with Reservation of Benfit & Pre-owned asset charges? - Gift after benefit 180