An illegal trade - tax consequences?
It transpires that a client has been lending money without a licence, for about six years. We knew nothing about this, and since it was apparently in cash and it seems every penny was reinvested rather than spent, there was effectively nothing to pick up on. It started very small and grew.
The situation has come to light after a Customs raid on a completely different matter (!) that turned up the loan books.
A court case is in the process, but we are wondering about the tax consequences.
We are told that the loan business was profitable whilst being carried out, with the loan balances quadrupling in the six years of trading (so around 400% return over six years). However now that the whole matter is out in the open the authorites have told him that as he does not have a licence, will not get a licence, and hasn't the correct loan documentation in place, he is not allowed to try and collect his debts, so virtually everything is lost (profits and initial capital).
HMRC are not aware of any of this yet, or if they are they haven't said anything. There's little doubt that they will become aware we think.
So what plan of action is suggested, and what is the tax situation?
Our understanding is that profits from a trade are taxable, regardless of whether legal or illegal. So what about the loss at the end - is this allowable for tax also?
What's the best way to come clean to HMRC in advance?
- The stupidity continues 620 23
- transactions after account have been closed 171 4
- Can I claim Vat on solicitors invoices? 166 5
- CIMA at the age of 35?? 534 10
- Offsetting CT losses against another company 223 6
- Calculating capital gains tax for non-residents UK residential property 126 1
- CIS. Why is it so complicated? 2,340 25
- New Employers Helpline 209 4
- Limited company director - other earnings in the tax year 223 3
- Software recommendations 277 1
- Share transfer question 378 17
- Land Rover Discovery 3.0 SDV6 255 Comm Auto 2 seat 330 7
- qualifying for 1/9th tax credit on foreign dividend 185 2
- HMRC & daft penalty 2,455 19
- Overlap relief 759 19
- What is IRIS World like? 368 8
- Pension contributions 383 10
- Do you have to declare business expenditure on a personal credit card on your P11D? 512 11
- Do you use sign up lists on your website 210 1
- Setting up PAYE scheme without UTR 287 8
- Has anyone been affected by the RBS payment breakdown? 439
- Straight line write off of Purchase Goodwill ??? 435
- WIP Software 301
- FRS 102 compliant illustrative accounts for an insurance company 291
- No payroll scheme in place 235
- CGT, PPR and transfer of equity to spouse. 231
- Do subcontractors on work for residential (student accomodation) construction 209
- Is there anything wrong with this? 204
- Small Part Disposal of Property 189
- Uncommercial property business 181