An illegal trade - tax consequences?
It transpires that a client has been lending money without a licence, for about six years. We knew nothing about this, and since it was apparently in cash and it seems every penny was reinvested rather than spent, there was effectively nothing to pick up on. It started very small and grew.
The situation has come to light after a Customs raid on a completely different matter (!) that turned up the loan books.
A court case is in the process, but we are wondering about the tax consequences.
We are told that the loan business was profitable whilst being carried out, with the loan balances quadrupling in the six years of trading (so around 400% return over six years). However now that the whole matter is out in the open the authorites have told him that as he does not have a licence, will not get a licence, and hasn't the correct loan documentation in place, he is not allowed to try and collect his debts, so virtually everything is lost (profits and initial capital).
HMRC are not aware of any of this yet, or if they are they haven't said anything. There's little doubt that they will become aware we think.
So what plan of action is suggested, and what is the tax situation?
Our understanding is that profits from a trade are taxable, regardless of whether legal or illegal. So what about the loss at the end - is this allowable for tax also?
What's the best way to come clean to HMRC in advance?
- Film Actors - Averaging? 312 9
- Paying Harvest casuals and casual beaters 201 3
- FreeAgent question 88 2
- Retrospectively change VAT scheme? 115 2
- Can interest received be netted against interest paid in this scenario? 83 1
- CIS monthly returns 166 2
- Goodie bag 1,544 52
- Husband Wife let property 346 9
- Partnership Tax Return £100 penalty-was a tax return due in this case? 495 12
- Output tax for retailer 311 8
- Footballers Testimonials Taxable? 274 3
- 13-14 Payroll return needs to be filed 128 2
- Payroll Software & Auto Enrolement 126 1
- CT600 Advice 121 1
- Fair Value Accounting 74 1
- Client incurring expenses on company car 131 4
- can I approach clients ? 398 8
- Companies House Penalties 127 2
- Apostille documents 112 2
- Budget 2015 predictions 541 13
- Possible Partnership? 640
- Tax and accounting treatment on long lease granted from freehold 517
- New Fangled Penalties 445
- Fuming! 379
- Purchase of property freehold - capitalisation of costs 316
- Charity dissolution and newly merged charity 254
- Outsource Data Entry 240
- Lenovo – Superfish & Komodia – is your PC vulnerable 235
- Moving away from CCH software 227
- Do I need a US Tax Identification Number to complete W-8BEN-E? 174