An illegal trade - tax consequences?
It transpires that a client has been lending money without a licence, for about six years. We knew nothing about this, and since it was apparently in cash and it seems every penny was reinvested rather than spent, there was effectively nothing to pick up on. It started very small and grew.
The situation has come to light after a Customs raid on a completely different matter (!) that turned up the loan books.
A court case is in the process, but we are wondering about the tax consequences.
We are told that the loan business was profitable whilst being carried out, with the loan balances quadrupling in the six years of trading (so around 400% return over six years). However now that the whole matter is out in the open the authorites have told him that as he does not have a licence, will not get a licence, and hasn't the correct loan documentation in place, he is not allowed to try and collect his debts, so virtually everything is lost (profits and initial capital).
HMRC are not aware of any of this yet, or if they are they haven't said anything. There's little doubt that they will become aware we think.
So what plan of action is suggested, and what is the tax situation?
Our understanding is that profits from a trade are taxable, regardless of whether legal or illegal. So what about the loss at the end - is this allowable for tax also?
What's the best way to come clean to HMRC in advance?
- Flat rate vat 289 3
- RTI Annual Scheme Query 229 6
- Rental property company 171 2
- Can Excel sheets be imported into Digita Accounts Production Posting Sheets? 160 2
- PAYE coding notice - deliberate misstatement 409 12
- How quickly do you turn around y/e accounts? 446 9
- Starting up in practice - safety net 347 8
- What password safe app does anyone recommend? 1,467 27
- Small employers paying people when sick thanks alot! 3,194 35
- Director's current account - fuel costs and expenses 388 11
- How to avoid PAYE Registeration 298 4
- Payroo Employer allowance query 279 8
- Enforcing A CCJ 401 7
- RTI 'Late Filing' & paying employees in arrears 212 1
- Reporting no P11d due when PAYE scheme closed by HMRC 5Apr2013 216 2
- Comapny valuation qualifications 163 2
- Ex Client from over 3 years ago 545 5
- Director's tax return 424 8
- Sale of assets - availability of AIA to the purchaser 199 3
- Coming in from the cold 424 3
- Residential Property Purchase Above £750K 832
- Using Sage with Sofa Categories 575
- Does anyone have an unwanted ICAEW wooden plaque? 446
- Goods shipped inter EU and VAT Reporting 323
- Free Tax Legislation? 301
- Director Loan account operation 283
- Non-Resident Director - UK Tax Position? 269
- transferring simply accounting 2010 from xp to windows 7 262
- Sage 200 and Access Dimensions reviews 244
- Paye procedures for CVA 183