An illegal trade - tax consequences?
It transpires that a client has been lending money without a licence, for about six years. We knew nothing about this, and since it was apparently in cash and it seems every penny was reinvested rather than spent, there was effectively nothing to pick up on. It started very small and grew.
The situation has come to light after a Customs raid on a completely different matter (!) that turned up the loan books.
A court case is in the process, but we are wondering about the tax consequences.
We are told that the loan business was profitable whilst being carried out, with the loan balances quadrupling in the six years of trading (so around 400% return over six years). However now that the whole matter is out in the open the authorites have told him that as he does not have a licence, will not get a licence, and hasn't the correct loan documentation in place, he is not allowed to try and collect his debts, so virtually everything is lost (profits and initial capital).
HMRC are not aware of any of this yet, or if they are they haven't said anything. There's little doubt that they will become aware we think.
So what plan of action is suggested, and what is the tax situation?
Our understanding is that profits from a trade are taxable, regardless of whether legal or illegal. So what about the loss at the end - is this allowable for tax also?
What's the best way to come clean to HMRC in advance?
- Anyone Heard of This Outfit? 1,078 7
- Increasing the personal allowance: A top priority? 451 17
- Bereavment payment 37 1
- Can anyone advise on the best VAT Scheme to change to? 262 4
- Apologies for reposting this but first post was on Friday afternoon! 334 2
- CT600 Computations - Company Tax Return help 1,288 14
- Sage Bank Reconciliation 136 2
- Companies House incorporation service 333 12
- Factors affecting tax charge FRS 19 (marginal rate) 63 1
- P35 and Service Company questions 142 3
- VAT chargeable to conference attendees 189 6
- Is Accountancy Becoming like an Insurance Policy 187 1
- Long period of account for Corporation Tax 253 7
- Flat Rate VAT and EU sales (Non VAT) 136 3
- NIC £2000 Allowance - Care Support Worker 145 3
- VAT, vans, sole traders and business use. 1,594 12
- Share Capital 124 2
- Trading income or not? 185 1
- Charge HMRC 411 3
- FRS17 query 230 2
- Xtuple 545
- Qtac payroll for bureau 374
- Confused - Professional Association a Mutual trader, or not? 315
- Industrial & Provident Societies 310
- Why would HMRC offer to close an investigation by contract settlement 288
- CIS schemes 220
- Domain name sale and limited company 204
- Investment 184
- Director legal fees in loose connection to the company 182
- Italian friend wants to set up a UK company to reduce taxes 177