An illegal trade - tax consequences?
It transpires that a client has been lending money without a licence, for about six years. We knew nothing about this, and since it was apparently in cash and it seems every penny was reinvested rather than spent, there was effectively nothing to pick up on. It started very small and grew.
The situation has come to light after a Customs raid on a completely different matter (!) that turned up the loan books.
A court case is in the process, but we are wondering about the tax consequences.
We are told that the loan business was profitable whilst being carried out, with the loan balances quadrupling in the six years of trading (so around 400% return over six years). However now that the whole matter is out in the open the authorites have told him that as he does not have a licence, will not get a licence, and hasn't the correct loan documentation in place, he is not allowed to try and collect his debts, so virtually everything is lost (profits and initial capital).
HMRC are not aware of any of this yet, or if they are they haven't said anything. There's little doubt that they will become aware we think.
So what plan of action is suggested, and what is the tax situation?
Our understanding is that profits from a trade are taxable, regardless of whether legal or illegal. So what about the loss at the end - is this allowable for tax also?
What's the best way to come clean to HMRC in advance?
- Unfair charges for self assessment tax returns. Any recourse? 147 4
- 27,000 Really? 1,142 38
- What are options for non CA firm 2,826 60
- Legal title not in the company name 789 23
- Why would they want his purchase invoices?? 334 4
- Sage valuing foreign bank balances 305 8
- Opening Balances 199 2
- Awkward insolvency practitioner 582 7
- Tax Credits for Self Employed 99 1
- FRS12 Redundancy and notice period provision 85 1
- This is getting boring 616 12
- Using profits from Ltd company as start up funds for new venture 258 7
- pension paid by company? 115 3
- inheritance tax 420 12
- pretty multi rainbow -coloured client spreadsheets 349 9
- Sage 50 re-key - VAT problem 227 4
- State pension 302 3
- Accountancy Career 142 1
- CIC Company 657 13
- Exactly which business miles can I claim from my employer? 1,823 22
- Property exchange - 8-year legal delay following fall-out 640
- Cancelled 395
- SAGE Payroll Data for Import to MS Dynamics AX 353
- Cancelled 335
- Have you staged yet for auto enrolment? 309
- Probiz 303
- Free-standing washing machine - unfurnished lettings 279
- How not to compose an email 266
- VAT on non-profit making clubs (ECJ VS West Dorset Golf Club) 258
- Phishing emails purporting to be from CIPFA? 223