An illegal trade - tax consequences?
It transpires that a client has been lending money without a licence, for about six years. We knew nothing about this, and since it was apparently in cash and it seems every penny was reinvested rather than spent, there was effectively nothing to pick up on. It started very small and grew.
The situation has come to light after a Customs raid on a completely different matter (!) that turned up the loan books.
A court case is in the process, but we are wondering about the tax consequences.
We are told that the loan business was profitable whilst being carried out, with the loan balances quadrupling in the six years of trading (so around 400% return over six years). However now that the whole matter is out in the open the authorites have told him that as he does not have a licence, will not get a licence, and hasn't the correct loan documentation in place, he is not allowed to try and collect his debts, so virtually everything is lost (profits and initial capital).
HMRC are not aware of any of this yet, or if they are they haven't said anything. There's little doubt that they will become aware we think.
So what plan of action is suggested, and what is the tax situation?
Our understanding is that profits from a trade are taxable, regardless of whether legal or illegal. So what about the loss at the end - is this allowable for tax also?
What's the best way to come clean to HMRC in advance?
- Manually amending PAYE Code Number in HMRC Basic PAYE Tools 25 1
- Bank Requesting clients' tax residence 948 9
- Disclosure on Cessation Accounts 169 1
- Separate Pay runs for salary and commission 125 3
- printer paper for Certificate of Incorporation 202 5
- I'm losing the will to live... 108 1
- Sage 50 - How do I find the column headings when I export to CSV 91 4
- Auto enrolment 1,555 15
- Annual Report - How to? 249 10
- Bureau payroll software and Auto Enrolment - which is the best? 79 1
- Director's personal expenses paid by the Company 249 4
- Client's company struck off 2,028 26
- Accountants not providing all required information 108 3
- 15% restirction on lease cars 125 2
- Do you get your clients to sign their EOY EPS submission? 1,120 17
- can a dormant company make an employer pension contribution? 143 6
- Letter template 149 4
- Quote for client 414 9
- Benefit in kind calc, s.106 ITEPA 291 7
- PAYE 178 3
- HMRC BENCHMARK EXPENSES 523
- write off loan or loan to equity swap or both 459
- EPS and CIS deductions 324
- Sole trade business in UK, but the owner works from EU 306
- Construction CIS LLP Company 297
- Stamp duty on house transfer between spouses 286
- Tax Investigation - Employee Travel 240
- SAGE winforecast 221
- Overdrawn director account 208
- LIVE: Budget aftermath webinar 201