I'm at a crossroads
I have a business dilemma.
I’ve been busy working on building my own business both through compliance based accountancy and taxation work and business consultancy for the past 18 months.
I’m currently earning more money than I ever have but it’s not sustainable and I’m now in a position where I have to take a step back to take three steps forward.
One of the longer term consultancy roles I have had will be coming to an end soon. This has kept me busy for 4-8 days a month and has been great financially to allow me to spend time on growing ’my’ business.
I now have around 50 other clients of various sizes and I am continuing to pick up 2-3 new clients each month without doing any active marketing.
At the same time I have been doing some subcontract work with a local firm of accountants. This firm is growing very quickly, gaining around 15-20 new clients every month.
The local firm of accountants have made me an offer to become a director in charge of the accountancy side of the business (the two other directors primarily deal with tax planning and business consultancy). Their ‘approach’ is different to mine and if I’m honest I’m only working there at the moment for the money. However there’s a good chance that I could persuade them to change their approach – new branding, better website, slicker marketing so that the business is something I would be happy promoting.
My 50+ clients would just about provide me with enough for me to be comfortable for a few months but would also give me the time I need to focus on growing my own business in the way that I want to. Plus, I would find this more enjoyable and would have a bit more time to spend with my young family.
Should I stick to my guns and grow my own business or am looking a gift horse in the mouth with the other firm and should I grasp their offer which financially could be better in the long term?
- Share premium or Directors Loan 745 31
- Enquiry into tax return - how co-operative would you be? 366 8
- Halloween - do you celebrate it? 1,425 47
- Interest on HMRC contract settlement 170 3
- Goodwill gesture for providing work 444 12
- VAT reconciliation and VAT return on Sage 116 3
- What would you do in this situation? 172 5
- Filing a P87 (professional fees) before year end. 141 2
- Recommendations for payroll/AE software? 614 13
- More HMRC on gov.uk 642 11
- Rollover relief - when does gain crystallise in this situation? 93 1
- Offshore company transferring assets to a UK individual. 346 14
- Interest Free Loan - Salay Sacrifice? 248 4
- Research and development - repayment timescale 220 5
- Sole trader hid directorships. 401 6
- NOVA 558 1
- Clearing payments on account/ Sage 50 278 10
- Regional Development Grant 126 4
- Problem ex client...again.. 2,443 21
- Company car without a salary 241 2
- Bonus Bonds 391
- Insolvency and whistle blowing 379
- Transfer of funds into recently set up company 290
- TPR imposes first penalty notice fines 260
- Box 8 VAT Return - deposit payment 188
- Husband proposes to buy the car as Director unable to acess finance 180
- Finance Lease 158
- Company Car Lease 156
- Form 42 149
- Demerger Reserve 132