I'm at a crossroads
I have a business dilemma.
I’ve been busy working on building my own business both through compliance based accountancy and taxation work and business consultancy for the past 18 months.
I’m currently earning more money than I ever have but it’s not sustainable and I’m now in a position where I have to take a step back to take three steps forward.
One of the longer term consultancy roles I have had will be coming to an end soon. This has kept me busy for 4-8 days a month and has been great financially to allow me to spend time on growing ’my’ business.
I now have around 50 other clients of various sizes and I am continuing to pick up 2-3 new clients each month without doing any active marketing.
At the same time I have been doing some subcontract work with a local firm of accountants. This firm is growing very quickly, gaining around 15-20 new clients every month.
The local firm of accountants have made me an offer to become a director in charge of the accountancy side of the business (the two other directors primarily deal with tax planning and business consultancy). Their ‘approach’ is different to mine and if I’m honest I’m only working there at the moment for the money. However there’s a good chance that I could persuade them to change their approach – new branding, better website, slicker marketing so that the business is something I would be happy promoting.
My 50+ clients would just about provide me with enough for me to be comfortable for a few months but would also give me the time I need to focus on growing my own business in the way that I want to. Plus, I would find this more enjoyable and would have a bit more time to spend with my young family.
Should I stick to my guns and grow my own business or am looking a gift horse in the mouth with the other firm and should I grasp their offer which financially could be better in the long term?
- Do I need a smartphone? 287 10
- OVERDRAWN DIRECTORS LOAN ACCOUNT!! 30 1
- Terminal / cessation loss relief against rental income 52 3
- Why would they want his purchase invoices?? 507 10
- P11D with no S336 - Code Change ? 32 1
- Tax Credits for Self Employed 237 3
- Bank account of a different company being used for transactions. 455 6
- Update workbook linkage without opening source 52 1
- FRS12 Redundancy and notice period provision 160 3
- Splitting hairs with a national firm 1,792 13
- Deduction from Salary 760 21
- Company struck off 221 6
- Has anyone read the implications of the Lisbon treaty? 1,413 53
- Opening Balances 282 6
- Redoing accounts for mortgage lender 282 6
- Employment Allowance 405 7
- Sage valuing foreign bank balances 361 12
- Unfair charges for self assessment tax returns. Any recourse? 380 9
- VAT on non-profit making clubs (ECJ VS West Dorset Golf Club) 286 1
- West Bromich Albion 372 2
- Property exchange - 8-year legal delay following fall-out 649
- Cancelled 405
- SAGE Payroll Data for Import to MS Dynamics AX 356
- Cancelled 347
- How not to compose an email 332
- Have you staged yet for auto enrolment? 326
- Probiz 313
- Free-standing washing machine - unfurnished lettings 295
- Phishing emails purporting to be from CIPFA? 226
- Is this UK incapacity benefit taxable in UK or Jersey? 203