I'm at a crossroads
I have a business dilemma.
I’ve been busy working on building my own business both through compliance based accountancy and taxation work and business consultancy for the past 18 months.
I’m currently earning more money than I ever have but it’s not sustainable and I’m now in a position where I have to take a step back to take three steps forward.
One of the longer term consultancy roles I have had will be coming to an end soon. This has kept me busy for 4-8 days a month and has been great financially to allow me to spend time on growing ’my’ business.
I now have around 50 other clients of various sizes and I am continuing to pick up 2-3 new clients each month without doing any active marketing.
At the same time I have been doing some subcontract work with a local firm of accountants. This firm is growing very quickly, gaining around 15-20 new clients every month.
The local firm of accountants have made me an offer to become a director in charge of the accountancy side of the business (the two other directors primarily deal with tax planning and business consultancy). Their ‘approach’ is different to mine and if I’m honest I’m only working there at the moment for the money. However there’s a good chance that I could persuade them to change their approach – new branding, better website, slicker marketing so that the business is something I would be happy promoting.
My 50+ clients would just about provide me with enough for me to be comfortable for a few months but would also give me the time I need to focus on growing my own business in the way that I want to. Plus, I would find this more enjoyable and would have a bit more time to spend with my young family.
Should I stick to my guns and grow my own business or am looking a gift horse in the mouth with the other firm and should I grasp their offer which financially could be better in the long term?
- illegal dividends 162 2
- Self Assessment Tax Return Penalties 31 2
- Work experience - pay 222 2
- reliable alternative to registered ofice required 158 2
- Do I need to report this to SOCA 1,629 18
- Deaf clients 57 1
- Basic PAYE Tools update .... lost all my previous FPSs 60 1
- Goodwill 140 5
- Dividend received from voluntary arrangement 142 1
- How do I calculate the VAT due (cash basis) on receipts which suffer a cis deduction? 103 2
- SAGE V12 136 3
- Consolidation and Comparatives 63 2
- Ltd Company trading for 2 years not Registered for PAYE 91 1
- first year company tax return for a limited company 451 22
- Not ANOTHER bogus HMRC email? 102 1
- Exactly which business miles can I claim from my employer? 750 13
- One off meeting new client 205 2
- Incorporation Relief 202 5
- Interest on loans between companies 86 2
- Rental property: expenses when up for sale and not let 205 2
- Proposed Amendments to IAS 1 609
- Property exchange - 8-year legal delay following fall-out 502
- Sorry ignore me 409
- Accounting for Insurance Premium Financing 371
- SAGE Payroll Data for Import to MS Dynamics AX 284
- Cancelled 266
- Cancelled 229
- Bartercard 197
- C79 Discrepancy 182
- Sage Report Designer - Nominal Activity in Currency 170