I'm at a crossroads
I have a business dilemma.
I’ve been busy working on building my own business both through compliance based accountancy and taxation work and business consultancy for the past 18 months.
I’m currently earning more money than I ever have but it’s not sustainable and I’m now in a position where I have to take a step back to take three steps forward.
One of the longer term consultancy roles I have had will be coming to an end soon. This has kept me busy for 4-8 days a month and has been great financially to allow me to spend time on growing ’my’ business.
I now have around 50 other clients of various sizes and I am continuing to pick up 2-3 new clients each month without doing any active marketing.
At the same time I have been doing some subcontract work with a local firm of accountants. This firm is growing very quickly, gaining around 15-20 new clients every month.
The local firm of accountants have made me an offer to become a director in charge of the accountancy side of the business (the two other directors primarily deal with tax planning and business consultancy). Their ‘approach’ is different to mine and if I’m honest I’m only working there at the moment for the money. However there’s a good chance that I could persuade them to change their approach – new branding, better website, slicker marketing so that the business is something I would be happy promoting.
My 50+ clients would just about provide me with enough for me to be comfortable for a few months but would also give me the time I need to focus on growing my own business in the way that I want to. Plus, I would find this more enjoyable and would have a bit more time to spend with my young family.
Should I stick to my guns and grow my own business or am looking a gift horse in the mouth with the other firm and should I grasp their offer which financially could be better in the long term?
- Director's tax return 220 5
- Wrong career 446 18
- Would this save hours of your time? 401 10
- Keep receiving RTI late submission notice 182 4
- Value pricing 653 21
- Payroo Employer allowance query 126 1
- MONEYSOFT - EARLIER YEAR UPDATE 253 7
- Laptop purchase 1,370 20
- PTP software disaster 244 2
- Producing graphical KPI's etc 168 4
- CIS repayment shambles finally over? 215 2
- Treatment of EU Purchases on Sage 94 2
- Tricky VAT question 165 1
- RTI Annual Scheme Query 108 2
- VT accounts licence key 252 5
- Weely paid employees 217 2
- Splitting the tax year 94 1
- FPS Submission 147 2
- non resident receiving UK dividends 210 3
- P11d & Medical Ins 142 1
- Residential Property Purchase Above £750K 792
- Using Sage with Sofa Categories 546
- Does anyone have an unwanted ICAEW wooden plaque? 412
- Goods shipped inter EU and VAT Reporting 292
- Free Tax Legislation? 260
- Director Loan account operation 239
- transferring simply accounting 2010 from xp to windows 7 236
- Non-Resident Director - UK Tax Position? 236
- Sage 200 and Access Dimensions reviews 229
- Paye procedures for CVA 159