I'm at a crossroads
I have a business dilemma.
I’ve been busy working on building my own business both through compliance based accountancy and taxation work and business consultancy for the past 18 months.
I’m currently earning more money than I ever have but it’s not sustainable and I’m now in a position where I have to take a step back to take three steps forward.
One of the longer term consultancy roles I have had will be coming to an end soon. This has kept me busy for 4-8 days a month and has been great financially to allow me to spend time on growing ’my’ business.
I now have around 50 other clients of various sizes and I am continuing to pick up 2-3 new clients each month without doing any active marketing.
At the same time I have been doing some subcontract work with a local firm of accountants. This firm is growing very quickly, gaining around 15-20 new clients every month.
The local firm of accountants have made me an offer to become a director in charge of the accountancy side of the business (the two other directors primarily deal with tax planning and business consultancy). Their ‘approach’ is different to mine and if I’m honest I’m only working there at the moment for the money. However there’s a good chance that I could persuade them to change their approach – new branding, better website, slicker marketing so that the business is something I would be happy promoting.
My 50+ clients would just about provide me with enough for me to be comfortable for a few months but would also give me the time I need to focus on growing my own business in the way that I want to. Plus, I would find this more enjoyable and would have a bit more time to spend with my young family.
Should I stick to my guns and grow my own business or am looking a gift horse in the mouth with the other firm and should I grasp their offer which financially could be better in the long term?
- How to prove income for a mortgage if you have no SA302s 141 3
- Hmrc software 194 3
- Mehjoo 255 1
- Suppliers for Online Card Payments? 191 2
- What expenses can be claimed after a move to Cornwall? 96 1
- SA302 255 4
- Hosted email exchange 168 5
- South African Government Pension 177 1
- Amazon Fees, Sage VAT/Tax code T20? 155 3
- Can anybody help withe the RTI end of year process? 264 4
- VAT Bad Debt Relief 298 13
- How long are you on hold- IRIS Payroll 237 7
- Childcare vouchers and final month payroll Qs 145 3
- Stopping trading and de-registering for VAT 272 7
- New Email Extensions 186 1
- Are HMRC cutting out Agents in tax investigations? 306 2
- Dental practice incorpration 149 1
- Audit rules 174 4
- Go Cardless 307 8
- business entertaining deductibility 176 1
- Xtuple 505
- Qtac payroll for bureau 342
- Confused - Professional Association a Mutual trader, or not? 289
- Industrial & Provident Societies 281
- Data transfer from Sage Line 50 to VT Transaction+ 224
- Domain name sale and limited company 165
- Why would HMRC offer to close an investigation by contract settlement 165
- CIS schemes 159
- VAT Payable on Expenses for Non-VAT Registered Ltd Co 152
- Director legal fees in loose connection to the company 137