I'm at a crossroads
I have a business dilemma.
I’ve been busy working on building my own business both through compliance based accountancy and taxation work and business consultancy for the past 18 months.
I’m currently earning more money than I ever have but it’s not sustainable and I’m now in a position where I have to take a step back to take three steps forward.
One of the longer term consultancy roles I have had will be coming to an end soon. This has kept me busy for 4-8 days a month and has been great financially to allow me to spend time on growing ’my’ business.
I now have around 50 other clients of various sizes and I am continuing to pick up 2-3 new clients each month without doing any active marketing.
At the same time I have been doing some subcontract work with a local firm of accountants. This firm is growing very quickly, gaining around 15-20 new clients every month.
The local firm of accountants have made me an offer to become a director in charge of the accountancy side of the business (the two other directors primarily deal with tax planning and business consultancy). Their ‘approach’ is different to mine and if I’m honest I’m only working there at the moment for the money. However there’s a good chance that I could persuade them to change their approach – new branding, better website, slicker marketing so that the business is something I would be happy promoting.
My 50+ clients would just about provide me with enough for me to be comfortable for a few months but would also give me the time I need to focus on growing my own business in the way that I want to. Plus, I would find this more enjoyable and would have a bit more time to spend with my young family.
Should I stick to my guns and grow my own business or am looking a gift horse in the mouth with the other firm and should I grasp their offer which financially could be better in the long term?
- Tier One Tribunal 43 4
- Pooled cars legislation unfairly punitive 43 2
- Where do Balance Sheet Gains get recognised in CT600? 871 41
- New starter not showing on RTI FPS submission (MoneySoft payroll) 239 5
- Is cloud accounting software all just pie in the sky 787 25
- Working in Iraq, how to treat the income 119 2
- Another transfer of property 108 2
- VAT on non-denominated postage 202 7
- Taxi Plate & Car 83 1
- How can i allow my clients to digitally sign? 563 11
- LEL and PAYE registration 82 1
- Employmnet Allowance 2015/2016 155 2
- Tax refunds for 2014/15 175 1
- Tax relief for networking day out? 554 14
- SA316s 217 3
- Swiching tax 543 15
- Proposal to strike off...... 531 10
- Can I recharge Car loan interest 389 11
- Start-up cost recognition 126 1
- Lunches 307 3
- Construction CIS LLP Company 612
- Services via intermediaries and new HMRC reporting requirements 594
- LIVE: Budget aftermath webinar 389
- Pensions Regulator 357
- NIC contribution on unremitted income 293
- Using the correct forms 268
- RTI - duplicate employee record 263
- SA penalty proposals 258
- Accelerated payment notices 238
- How hard is it to reduce a code? 234