I'm at a crossroads
I have a business dilemma.
I’ve been busy working on building my own business both through compliance based accountancy and taxation work and business consultancy for the past 18 months.
I’m currently earning more money than I ever have but it’s not sustainable and I’m now in a position where I have to take a step back to take three steps forward.
One of the longer term consultancy roles I have had will be coming to an end soon. This has kept me busy for 4-8 days a month and has been great financially to allow me to spend time on growing ’my’ business.
I now have around 50 other clients of various sizes and I am continuing to pick up 2-3 new clients each month without doing any active marketing.
At the same time I have been doing some subcontract work with a local firm of accountants. This firm is growing very quickly, gaining around 15-20 new clients every month.
The local firm of accountants have made me an offer to become a director in charge of the accountancy side of the business (the two other directors primarily deal with tax planning and business consultancy). Their ‘approach’ is different to mine and if I’m honest I’m only working there at the moment for the money. However there’s a good chance that I could persuade them to change their approach – new branding, better website, slicker marketing so that the business is something I would be happy promoting.
My 50+ clients would just about provide me with enough for me to be comfortable for a few months but would also give me the time I need to focus on growing my own business in the way that I want to. Plus, I would find this more enjoyable and would have a bit more time to spend with my young family.
Should I stick to my guns and grow my own business or am looking a gift horse in the mouth with the other firm and should I grasp their offer which financially could be better in the long term?
- Gift or Capital Gain? 29 2
- Abandoning accountancy membership in order to operate as a sole trader 125 2
- I think I'm developing an anger issue 2,149 30
- How long to prepare monthly management accounts 1,290 20
- Tax tribunal strike rates 77 1
- Profit split on buy-to let 244 4
- Is this acceptable advice for limited co 864 21
- HMRC Getting Extra Tough? 254 1
- ATED-Related CGT returns 279 2
- Incorporation haulier 244 1
- Is this a scam? 1,126 19
- SDLT on Land Transfer to Connected Company and Averaging Relief 230 19
- Client charged VAT by US supplier 150 3
- Sage at it again? 107 1
- Ceasing to trade when legal action being taken.. 118 1
- paid or unpaid - who knows! 326 5
- Are sheepdog winnings taxable? 804 7
- ESC A19? 331 1
- break even point 435 13
- Setting up an offshore company 225 3
- Overseas Sales 519
- Benchmarking 455
- Possible Partnership? 401
- Tax and accounting treatment on long lease granted from freehold 389
- Lunatics in charge of the asylum - Bluestone 363
- Old Books for a 'NON' Client 302
- Wednesday rant 277
- Purchase of property freehold - capitalisation of costs 186
- Which PayPal transactions can I ignore? 170
- Filing Corporation Tax Return for a company that only has investment income 164