I'm at a crossroads
I have a business dilemma.
I’ve been busy working on building my own business both through compliance based accountancy and taxation work and business consultancy for the past 18 months.
I’m currently earning more money than I ever have but it’s not sustainable and I’m now in a position where I have to take a step back to take three steps forward.
One of the longer term consultancy roles I have had will be coming to an end soon. This has kept me busy for 4-8 days a month and has been great financially to allow me to spend time on growing ’my’ business.
I now have around 50 other clients of various sizes and I am continuing to pick up 2-3 new clients each month without doing any active marketing.
At the same time I have been doing some subcontract work with a local firm of accountants. This firm is growing very quickly, gaining around 15-20 new clients every month.
The local firm of accountants have made me an offer to become a director in charge of the accountancy side of the business (the two other directors primarily deal with tax planning and business consultancy). Their ‘approach’ is different to mine and if I’m honest I’m only working there at the moment for the money. However there’s a good chance that I could persuade them to change their approach – new branding, better website, slicker marketing so that the business is something I would be happy promoting.
My 50+ clients would just about provide me with enough for me to be comfortable for a few months but would also give me the time I need to focus on growing my own business in the way that I want to. Plus, I would find this more enjoyable and would have a bit more time to spend with my young family.
Should I stick to my guns and grow my own business or am looking a gift horse in the mouth with the other firm and should I grasp their offer which financially could be better in the long term?
- Deferred Tax 433 8
- Mutual Trading - Exempt CT Income - Do I need clearance? 191 1
- You know its over 442 6
- Co. limited by Guarantee now closed 230 1
- Accountancy practices - are you closed over Christmas or do you let your staff take it off? 1,009 30
- Benefit in Kind 195 5
- Am I getting Soft?? 131 8
- Foreign pension tax credit relief 129 1
- Petrol expenses for self-employed 207 3
- Wrong tax code 84 4
- RTI and corrections to payroll 1,257 14
- Cocaine anyone? 584 10
- Accounting for cash put into Ltd 119 2
- Dutch and Germany VAT 176 3
- can anyone recommend Turkish speaking accountants in London 297 2
- Depression - HMRC penalties case won because of this illness. 481 15
- LTD home office - would HMRC seek to disallow 1,296 8
- HMRC BACK AND FORTH FIGHT ON BTL PROPERTY ALLOWANCES 533 9
- How do you find shareholders of a Cyprus Company ? 264 13
- Valuing my fast-growing internet business for transfer of goodwill on incorporation 221 2
- Hive up 503
- Accounting referance change & deficient accounts. 471
- corporate hierarchy 447
- Advice - 285
- Anyone had HMRC refusing to act on EPS database glitch? 231
- WWOOFers 225
- Art Gallery - Splitting a property between business and personal use 212
- Tax liabilities in USA for warehoused products 189
- The booking.com con 162
- UK State pension paid in NZ 160