I'm at a crossroads
I have a business dilemma.
I’ve been busy working on building my own business both through compliance based accountancy and taxation work and business consultancy for the past 18 months.
I’m currently earning more money than I ever have but it’s not sustainable and I’m now in a position where I have to take a step back to take three steps forward.
One of the longer term consultancy roles I have had will be coming to an end soon. This has kept me busy for 4-8 days a month and has been great financially to allow me to spend time on growing ’my’ business.
I now have around 50 other clients of various sizes and I am continuing to pick up 2-3 new clients each month without doing any active marketing.
At the same time I have been doing some subcontract work with a local firm of accountants. This firm is growing very quickly, gaining around 15-20 new clients every month.
The local firm of accountants have made me an offer to become a director in charge of the accountancy side of the business (the two other directors primarily deal with tax planning and business consultancy). Their ‘approach’ is different to mine and if I’m honest I’m only working there at the moment for the money. However there’s a good chance that I could persuade them to change their approach – new branding, better website, slicker marketing so that the business is something I would be happy promoting.
My 50+ clients would just about provide me with enough for me to be comfortable for a few months but would also give me the time I need to focus on growing my own business in the way that I want to. Plus, I would find this more enjoyable and would have a bit more time to spend with my young family.
Should I stick to my guns and grow my own business or am looking a gift horse in the mouth with the other firm and should I grasp their offer which financially could be better in the long term?
- How would you account for warranty? 103 4
- LLP - Member leaving 84 5
- Sage 50 Accounts - Opening Bank Account Balance Posted to Nominal 9998 Suspense Account 381 22
- Sweet Tooth 127 6
- Personal returns late information - when to get tough? 1,013 13
- Error in 11-12 return done by previous accountant, do we have to offer them to correct or can I do and client reclaim cost 187 6
- CA self-employed income below personal allowance 155 2
- trading or dormant 92 2
- Goodwill ammortisation 79 1
- tax credits 114 5
- accruals and prepayments please help anyone out there 514 19
- Is there difference between when you state you will provide a specific provison and you will make a specific provision of £3200 against a partcular debt? 178 6
- When will Private Principal Residence Relief cut will start? 558 11
- Can rental income ever be trading income? 257 3
- Benefit In Kind Accommodation 108 1
- Tax Return Deadlines 191 3
- Foreign income for self employed 124 1
- Whats the best way to keep my accounts? 630 18
- Sage help...written off bad debt, done year end now bad payer wants to start to pay 79 2
- Who owns SAGE Data? 492 10
- Desperately seeking Susan, Sam or anyone with any other name 861
- Experience with Islamic investor following Sharia-compliant rules? 513
- Darwinpay Partnership Assessment 324
- How to format a stock book 301
- Tax efficient holding company structure 238
- S464A Charge to tax: conferring benefit & BIK 233
- Investment property company accounts template 223
- Outlook 2007 with business contact manager not loading on new laptop 217
- auto enrolment - calculation of first pension deduction 186
- RTI and Annual Directors Salary 157