I'm at a crossroads
I have a business dilemma.
I’ve been busy working on building my own business both through compliance based accountancy and taxation work and business consultancy for the past 18 months.
I’m currently earning more money than I ever have but it’s not sustainable and I’m now in a position where I have to take a step back to take three steps forward.
One of the longer term consultancy roles I have had will be coming to an end soon. This has kept me busy for 4-8 days a month and has been great financially to allow me to spend time on growing ’my’ business.
I now have around 50 other clients of various sizes and I am continuing to pick up 2-3 new clients each month without doing any active marketing.
At the same time I have been doing some subcontract work with a local firm of accountants. This firm is growing very quickly, gaining around 15-20 new clients every month.
The local firm of accountants have made me an offer to become a director in charge of the accountancy side of the business (the two other directors primarily deal with tax planning and business consultancy). Their ‘approach’ is different to mine and if I’m honest I’m only working there at the moment for the money. However there’s a good chance that I could persuade them to change their approach – new branding, better website, slicker marketing so that the business is something I would be happy promoting.
My 50+ clients would just about provide me with enough for me to be comfortable for a few months but would also give me the time I need to focus on growing my own business in the way that I want to. Plus, I would find this more enjoyable and would have a bit more time to spend with my young family.
Should I stick to my guns and grow my own business or am looking a gift horse in the mouth with the other firm and should I grasp their offer which financially could be better in the long term?
- Pratice Management Software 145 2
- How can I deal with an unethical accountant? 206 6
- Error in audited accounts 53 1
- Vat registration exception 195 3
- CIS software 72 2
- Homing sandwiches 462 11
- CT600 118 3
- Director appointment not valid - any observations? 176 7
- Settlement discount 139 4
- signature required 519 21
- Director Personal Bank Account in company's books 513 9
- How do I undo the work of a Macro in Excel 183 5
- A number of Clearbooks VAT return issues! 170 2
- VAT on hotel payments received in advance 127 2
- Norwegian p45, which UK Tax return does it go into 215 10
- Left UK in 2006 but did not declare rental income since 2009 133 1
- VAT rate charged by surveyor 188 2
- Related Party Transactions 125 2
- UK resident receiving USA pension 117 1
- EU eservices VAT change imminent 473 9
- Auto enrolment excuses 1,244
- Feedback on accounts production software for IFRS 814
- Add T&Cs to Sales Order in Sage 521
- Digita Hosted Software 338
- Credit where credit's due....... 313
- Buying goods in US and selling them to company in US 237
- Flat rate VAT- other income calculation 197
- TheTax Donut 180
- Double taxation relief - same income, different individual 162
- Corporation Tax return - more than one trade 160