Importing transactions to sales ledger Sage 50
If anyone could help me i would be very greatful. I am an AAT diploma bookkeeper, taken over the accounts function in a company. I have good general knowledge of sage, but am no expert in the technical side.
I am trying to implement a system to import transactions from our main business systems, directly to the Customer Accounts and update the relevant nominal ledgers. I have read the audit trail import sheets, and think I understand the process.
However I have a few questions concerning the way our business works.
We are a Debt recovery agency, and collect payments on our client’s behalf, taking a fee for doing so. We do not operate any client bank accounts.
Payments are taken predominantly by credit and debit cards, but also cheques and bacs. All are processed through our bespoke systems credit control systems. We will use the transactional data from these systems to update the sage ledgers.
Each transaction taken breaks down in to 3 parts:
Our client’s fee
Card processing charges.
Client fees a remitted to them monthly.
Currently, payments are posted manually to the customer account once they have cleared the bank, reconciled against a day book run in excel, client remittances are prepared from this daybook, and payments made the first week in the new month. At the same time as the payment for our clients fees, we raise an invoice for our fees and a dummy invoice for card charges.
The idea behind this is to streamline the bank reconciliation function, as we are a high volume low value company (5000+ transaction per month), the bank rec is an ongoing daily chore, removing the posting of these transaction will free up 90% of my assistants time for other duties.
The parts I am struggling with are:
Can transactions be posted as receipts to the account (SA) if they will haven't cleared the bank account at the time of export? (Card transactions they will take around 3 days to clear). I cannot assume the date of clearing, as it varies on the day of the week, holidays, etc. Waiting until the payments clear will require amending of the data, which i am keen to avoid. My assumption is yes, but with the possibility of leaving unreconciled items, if there are any errors in the data coming in.
In addition to posting these sales receipts, i would like to also automate the posting of transactions to update the Card processing charges expense account and raise the invoice for our fees.
Any help you can give me in this area will be much appreciated.
- How quickly do you turn around y/e accounts? 2,194 17
- PAYE coding notice - deliberate misstatement 1,326 21
- CIS and Close Company 121 3
- Sage 200 and Access Dimensions reviews 301 1
- VAT Option to tax 471 17
- Brain freeze - loss on disposal of company car 172 6
- Capital allowance vehicle exchange 198 7
- S162 and Capital Allowances 130 2
- Director leaving in month 1 153 2
- Ex Gratia payments 90 1
- HMRC chasing club for unpaid fees 286 3
- Unaudited accounts and an accountant’s certificate of confirmation 171 4
- Selling assets to yourself ? 196 3
- 24 Month Rule - New Employer 190 3
- Director's remuneration accrual 178 4
- IHT - clawback of BPR 55 1
- EIS - connection through employment 96 2
- HMRC Dispensation - How long does it last for? 251 3
- Electronically supplied services - B2B 64 1
- Correct tax & VAT treatment of local overnight expenses 233 4
- Residential Property Purchase Above £750K 911
- Using Sage with Sofa Categories 641
- Free Tax Legislation? 406
- Director Loan account operation 402
- Understanding the implications of January 2015 VAT changes for downloads on threshold for VAT registration 340
- transferring simply accounting 2010 from xp to windows 7 319
- rent-a-room allowance for part of the year 225
- Paye procedures for CVA 221
- HMRC Second Income Campaign - not so much a question as heads up 188
- Pension Fixed Protection 163