Importing transactions to sales ledger Sage 50
If anyone could help me i would be very greatful. I am an AAT diploma bookkeeper, taken over the accounts function in a company. I have good general knowledge of sage, but am no expert in the technical side.
I am trying to implement a system to import transactions from our main business systems, directly to the Customer Accounts and update the relevant nominal ledgers. I have read the audit trail import sheets, and think I understand the process.
However I have a few questions concerning the way our business works.
We are a Debt recovery agency, and collect payments on our client’s behalf, taking a fee for doing so. We do not operate any client bank accounts.
Payments are taken predominantly by credit and debit cards, but also cheques and bacs. All are processed through our bespoke systems credit control systems. We will use the transactional data from these systems to update the sage ledgers.
Each transaction taken breaks down in to 3 parts:
Our client’s fee
Card processing charges.
Client fees a remitted to them monthly.
Currently, payments are posted manually to the customer account once they have cleared the bank, reconciled against a day book run in excel, client remittances are prepared from this daybook, and payments made the first week in the new month. At the same time as the payment for our clients fees, we raise an invoice for our fees and a dummy invoice for card charges.
The idea behind this is to streamline the bank reconciliation function, as we are a high volume low value company (5000+ transaction per month), the bank rec is an ongoing daily chore, removing the posting of these transaction will free up 90% of my assistants time for other duties.
The parts I am struggling with are:
Can transactions be posted as receipts to the account (SA) if they will haven't cleared the bank account at the time of export? (Card transactions they will take around 3 days to clear). I cannot assume the date of clearing, as it varies on the day of the week, holidays, etc. Waiting until the payments clear will require amending of the data, which i am keen to avoid. My assumption is yes, but with the possibility of leaving unreconciled items, if there are any errors in the data coming in.
In addition to posting these sales receipts, i would like to also automate the posting of transactions to update the Card processing charges expense account and raise the invoice for our fees.
Any help you can give me in this area will be much appreciated.
- Gift of property & improvements 90 2
- Error in past Corporate tax return 320 5
- VAT Invoice 95 4
- Company overdue but wants to be struck off 783 32
- IHT and Swiss Property 108 1
- Sale of house with planning permission - tax free? 186 3
- Flat rate Vat Scheme & Vat on wholesale production of Cakes and other deserts 141 7
- General tax book with planning 116 1
- 2013/14 failure to submit end of year submission 252 10
- Vat code for journal entries of director's expenses 128 2
- Claiming VAT and missing receipts 424 10
- HMRC overreaching its powers -again against a small surveying firm? 349 8
- Help with tax codes on Sage 238 1
- Letting relief on property transferred to a spouse 171 6
- VAT code for invoice from not VAT registered company 255 4
- Accounting for a finance lease 156 4
- SA302's anyone?? 529 16
- A change from the old Q v NQ debate 1,637 41
- Renting for military reasons 183 2
- Cleaners wages at small church -PAYE or self employed ? 1,579 18
- Skandia using wrong address 1,617
- Nil Rate Band Trust - index linked debt by way of charge over property 896
- International interest certificate 509
- NOVA 367
- Have we escaped Gift with Reservation of Benfit & Pre-owned asset charges? - Gift after benefit 288
- Management expenses for investment company 262
- Bonus Bonds 260
- Entertainer withholding tax in Australia 171
- tax on apprenticeship income 169
- P11D benefit received by widow 148