Importing transactions to sales ledger Sage 50
If anyone could help me i would be very greatful. I am an AAT diploma bookkeeper, taken over the accounts function in a company. I have good general knowledge of sage, but am no expert in the technical side.
I am trying to implement a system to import transactions from our main business systems, directly to the Customer Accounts and update the relevant nominal ledgers. I have read the audit trail import sheets, and think I understand the process.
However I have a few questions concerning the way our business works.
We are a Debt recovery agency, and collect payments on our client’s behalf, taking a fee for doing so. We do not operate any client bank accounts.
Payments are taken predominantly by credit and debit cards, but also cheques and bacs. All are processed through our bespoke systems credit control systems. We will use the transactional data from these systems to update the sage ledgers.
Each transaction taken breaks down in to 3 parts:
Our client’s fee
Card processing charges.
Client fees a remitted to them monthly.
Currently, payments are posted manually to the customer account once they have cleared the bank, reconciled against a day book run in excel, client remittances are prepared from this daybook, and payments made the first week in the new month. At the same time as the payment for our clients fees, we raise an invoice for our fees and a dummy invoice for card charges.
The idea behind this is to streamline the bank reconciliation function, as we are a high volume low value company (5000+ transaction per month), the bank rec is an ongoing daily chore, removing the posting of these transaction will free up 90% of my assistants time for other duties.
The parts I am struggling with are:
Can transactions be posted as receipts to the account (SA) if they will haven't cleared the bank account at the time of export? (Card transactions they will take around 3 days to clear). I cannot assume the date of clearing, as it varies on the day of the week, holidays, etc. Waiting until the payments clear will require amending of the data, which i am keen to avoid. My assumption is yes, but with the possibility of leaving unreconciled items, if there are any errors in the data coming in.
In addition to posting these sales receipts, i would like to also automate the posting of transactions to update the Card processing charges expense account and raise the invoice for our fees.
Any help you can give me in this area will be much appreciated.
- Starting Again 145 3
- Why can't I paste into AccountingWeb? 236 5
- CGT on spouse's death 102 2
- Where do Balance Sheet Gains get recognised in CT600? 658 31
- Can shareholders lend to their company at interest? 370 10
- Mortgage Adviser's request 169 4
- Tax relief for networking day out? 398 8
- Payroll software 175 4
- Company UTR numbers 292 6
- Summer house for business only 90 1
- Transfer of property to Limited Company 98 1
- Is cloud accounting software all just pie in the sky 561 18
- New starter not showing on RTI FPS submission (MoneySoft payroll) 134 3
- Tax implication giving money to friend (not family) 129 3
- How do you count your clients 402 4
- Contractor & possible IR35 153 1
- GASDS What's the rule? 113 1
- Proposal to strike off...... 470 9
- Property Expenses 124 3
- Accrued salary unpaid 172 3
- Construction CIS LLP Company 592
- Services via intermediaries and new HMRC reporting requirements 579
- LIVE: Budget aftermath webinar 376
- Pensions Regulator 346
- NIC contribution on unremitted income 280
- Government Gateway - VAT 276
- Using the correct forms 262
- SA penalty proposals 245
- RTI - duplicate employee record 235
- Accelerated payment notices 228