Importing transactions to sales ledger Sage 50
If anyone could help me i would be very greatful. I am an AAT diploma bookkeeper, taken over the accounts function in a company. I have good general knowledge of sage, but am no expert in the technical side.
I am trying to implement a system to import transactions from our main business systems, directly to the Customer Accounts and update the relevant nominal ledgers. I have read the audit trail import sheets, and think I understand the process.
However I have a few questions concerning the way our business works.
We are a Debt recovery agency, and collect payments on our client’s behalf, taking a fee for doing so. We do not operate any client bank accounts.
Payments are taken predominantly by credit and debit cards, but also cheques and bacs. All are processed through our bespoke systems credit control systems. We will use the transactional data from these systems to update the sage ledgers.
Each transaction taken breaks down in to 3 parts:
Our client’s fee
Card processing charges.
Client fees a remitted to them monthly.
Currently, payments are posted manually to the customer account once they have cleared the bank, reconciled against a day book run in excel, client remittances are prepared from this daybook, and payments made the first week in the new month. At the same time as the payment for our clients fees, we raise an invoice for our fees and a dummy invoice for card charges.
The idea behind this is to streamline the bank reconciliation function, as we are a high volume low value company (5000+ transaction per month), the bank rec is an ongoing daily chore, removing the posting of these transaction will free up 90% of my assistants time for other duties.
The parts I am struggling with are:
Can transactions be posted as receipts to the account (SA) if they will haven't cleared the bank account at the time of export? (Card transactions they will take around 3 days to clear). I cannot assume the date of clearing, as it varies on the day of the week, holidays, etc. Waiting until the payments clear will require amending of the data, which i am keen to avoid. My assumption is yes, but with the possibility of leaving unreconciled items, if there are any errors in the data coming in.
In addition to posting these sales receipts, i would like to also automate the posting of transactions to update the Card processing charges expense account and raise the invoice for our fees.
Any help you can give me in this area will be much appreciated.
- ACCA, ACPA, IFA, ICPA 239 4
- get an accountant not an unqulified accounting clerk 169 8
- What rent was paid for income tax purposes? 86 1
- Who's going to the next Tick & Bash? 85 2
- A round of applause please for winner of BITCH OF THE 554 13
- CGT history of shares 195 4
- Director Expenses and P11D but no PAYE scheme in place 155 5
- Client Entertainment to get new business or referral as opposed to say thanks 224 3
- CIS Subcontractor Catch Twenty Two Position after 14 years 347 6
- CGT on sale of let property 140 2
- how do i get UTR 168 3
- Input VAT suffered in EU 102 2
- Is there any good reading I can obtain to do self assesment on partnerships? 254 3
- How do you get HMRC to refund overpaid PAYE and NIC 159 1
- Your comments please 334 6
- VAT on Royal Mail Parcel Services 207 9
- CT600 deadline & shortened year end 148 2
- EIS 204 4
- Income Splitting - form 17 and DoT 149 1
- Charity requirements to report ALL I&E in accounts 123 2
- Moving away from CCH software 974
- QROP pension input amounts 456
- write off loan or loan to equity swap or both 402
- HMRC BENCHMARK EXPENSES 387
- fraud 309
- EIS relief on transferring shares to spouse 288
- Sole trade business in UK, but the owner works from EU 249
- Construction CIS LLP Company 234
- EPS and CIS deductions 228
- Out of time or not? 215