Importing transactions to sales ledger Sage 50
If anyone could help me i would be very greatful. I am an AAT diploma bookkeeper, taken over the accounts function in a company. I have good general knowledge of sage, but am no expert in the technical side.
I am trying to implement a system to import transactions from our main business systems, directly to the Customer Accounts and update the relevant nominal ledgers. I have read the audit trail import sheets, and think I understand the process.
However I have a few questions concerning the way our business works.
We are a Debt recovery agency, and collect payments on our client’s behalf, taking a fee for doing so. We do not operate any client bank accounts.
Payments are taken predominantly by credit and debit cards, but also cheques and bacs. All are processed through our bespoke systems credit control systems. We will use the transactional data from these systems to update the sage ledgers.
Each transaction taken breaks down in to 3 parts:
Our client’s fee
Card processing charges.
Client fees a remitted to them monthly.
Currently, payments are posted manually to the customer account once they have cleared the bank, reconciled against a day book run in excel, client remittances are prepared from this daybook, and payments made the first week in the new month. At the same time as the payment for our clients fees, we raise an invoice for our fees and a dummy invoice for card charges.
The idea behind this is to streamline the bank reconciliation function, as we are a high volume low value company (5000+ transaction per month), the bank rec is an ongoing daily chore, removing the posting of these transaction will free up 90% of my assistants time for other duties.
The parts I am struggling with are:
Can transactions be posted as receipts to the account (SA) if they will haven't cleared the bank account at the time of export? (Card transactions they will take around 3 days to clear). I cannot assume the date of clearing, as it varies on the day of the week, holidays, etc. Waiting until the payments clear will require amending of the data, which i am keen to avoid. My assumption is yes, but with the possibility of leaving unreconciled items, if there are any errors in the data coming in.
In addition to posting these sales receipts, i would like to also automate the posting of transactions to update the Card processing charges expense account and raise the invoice for our fees.
Any help you can give me in this area will be much appreciated.
- BrightPay 633 19
- Gift or Capital Gain? 337 10
- Are Court and tribunal Judges honest/commit fruad ? 267 4
- Abandoning accountancy membership in order to operate as a sole trader 888 25
- Abolish the penalty regime 83 3
- IHT Query 139 3
- Statutary sick pay 180 1
- How much?? (ACCA rules on practice insurance) 259 4
- Director Salary 354 2
- How does the tax payer dis-apply/disclaim from use of their personal allowance? 331 6
- Does anyone know how to deal with crowd funding income 295 7
- Capital Gain? 426 11
- Reversing out RTI 180 5
- When should i raise VAT invoice after pro-forma payment received? 306 9
- Sage instant bank rec - is it possible to clear past transactions and reconcile from a given month? 283 6
- Classic cars investment 250 7
- Client charged VAT by US supplier 332 7
- What are CIS subcontractor clients worth to you ? 376 7
- New Company - Corp Tax Period 282 9
- Fees for dealing with auto-enrolment 293 2
- Possible Partnership? 449
- Tax and accounting treatment on long lease granted from freehold 420
- Lunatics in charge of the asylum - Bluestone 417
- Old Books for a 'NON' Client 363
- Purchase of property freehold - capitalisation of costs 218
- Growing Limited Company concerned about assets if something goes wrong 215
- Clubs and Taxable Income 206
- Income tax on foreign dividends 197
- Subsistence and hotel expenses 192
- New Fangled Penalties 165