Importing transactions to sales ledger Sage 50
If anyone could help me i would be very greatful. I am an AAT diploma bookkeeper, taken over the accounts function in a company. I have good general knowledge of sage, but am no expert in the technical side.
I am trying to implement a system to import transactions from our main business systems, directly to the Customer Accounts and update the relevant nominal ledgers. I have read the audit trail import sheets, and think I understand the process.
However I have a few questions concerning the way our business works.
We are a Debt recovery agency, and collect payments on our client’s behalf, taking a fee for doing so. We do not operate any client bank accounts.
Payments are taken predominantly by credit and debit cards, but also cheques and bacs. All are processed through our bespoke systems credit control systems. We will use the transactional data from these systems to update the sage ledgers.
Each transaction taken breaks down in to 3 parts:
Our client’s fee
Card processing charges.
Client fees a remitted to them monthly.
Currently, payments are posted manually to the customer account once they have cleared the bank, reconciled against a day book run in excel, client remittances are prepared from this daybook, and payments made the first week in the new month. At the same time as the payment for our clients fees, we raise an invoice for our fees and a dummy invoice for card charges.
The idea behind this is to streamline the bank reconciliation function, as we are a high volume low value company (5000+ transaction per month), the bank rec is an ongoing daily chore, removing the posting of these transaction will free up 90% of my assistants time for other duties.
The parts I am struggling with are:
Can transactions be posted as receipts to the account (SA) if they will haven't cleared the bank account at the time of export? (Card transactions they will take around 3 days to clear). I cannot assume the date of clearing, as it varies on the day of the week, holidays, etc. Waiting until the payments clear will require amending of the data, which i am keen to avoid. My assumption is yes, but with the possibility of leaving unreconciled items, if there are any errors in the data coming in.
In addition to posting these sales receipts, i would like to also automate the posting of transactions to update the Card processing charges expense account and raise the invoice for our fees.
Any help you can give me in this area will be much appreciated.
- Car or Van - BIK not VAT 393 12
- VAT position on EU supplies/commission 90 2
- Moneysoft - technical query 201 4
- Let Property Campaign 172 3
- is photo id necessary to set up a direct debit? 50 1
- What would you do? 336 2
- Taxable income for previous years 360 8
- Depreciation on purchase of software 145 2
- SA302 list of lenders accepting alternative 1,306 16
- App recommendations 327 4
- Defend your local inspector? 622 7
- accountant in Bristol 499 1
- New Company Director PAYE Question 761 20
- Exasperated by HMRC 2,148 19
- How long should one give Aweb … 705 9
- Resident and Non-resident 767 7
- Benefit in Kind - Director loan or not? 166 3
- Client in dispute with Customer over cancellation charge 418 16
- Working Hours Calculation - Rounding Hours up/down 146 2
- Self employed Self Assessment 398 2
- HMRC arbitrarily amending tax returns for higher rate child benefit charge 357
- Any knowledge of salesorder.com 343
- Chart of account segments; Balance sheet vs P&L 279
- HMRC RTI Filing Problem 251
- Goodwill and the Summer 2015 Budget 251
- Could and would anyone here carry out a hot file review of some non statutory audit work please? 243
- Electric Car 195
- S222 Charge 184
- Foreign Tax on Pensions 176
- What is the best acounting software for online international retail business? 175