Importing transactions to sales ledger Sage 50
If anyone could help me i would be very greatful. I am an AAT diploma bookkeeper, taken over the accounts function in a company. I have good general knowledge of sage, but am no expert in the technical side.
I am trying to implement a system to import transactions from our main business systems, directly to the Customer Accounts and update the relevant nominal ledgers. I have read the audit trail import sheets, and think I understand the process.
However I have a few questions concerning the way our business works.
We are a Debt recovery agency, and collect payments on our client’s behalf, taking a fee for doing so. We do not operate any client bank accounts.
Payments are taken predominantly by credit and debit cards, but also cheques and bacs. All are processed through our bespoke systems credit control systems. We will use the transactional data from these systems to update the sage ledgers.
Each transaction taken breaks down in to 3 parts:
Our client’s fee
Card processing charges.
Client fees a remitted to them monthly.
Currently, payments are posted manually to the customer account once they have cleared the bank, reconciled against a day book run in excel, client remittances are prepared from this daybook, and payments made the first week in the new month. At the same time as the payment for our clients fees, we raise an invoice for our fees and a dummy invoice for card charges.
The idea behind this is to streamline the bank reconciliation function, as we are a high volume low value company (5000+ transaction per month), the bank rec is an ongoing daily chore, removing the posting of these transaction will free up 90% of my assistants time for other duties.
The parts I am struggling with are:
Can transactions be posted as receipts to the account (SA) if they will haven't cleared the bank account at the time of export? (Card transactions they will take around 3 days to clear). I cannot assume the date of clearing, as it varies on the day of the week, holidays, etc. Waiting until the payments clear will require amending of the data, which i am keen to avoid. My assumption is yes, but with the possibility of leaving unreconciled items, if there are any errors in the data coming in.
In addition to posting these sales receipts, i would like to also automate the posting of transactions to update the Card processing charges expense account and raise the invoice for our fees.
Any help you can give me in this area will be much appreciated.
- Taxfiler - SA100 - More efficient? 757 5
- See you all on the other side 770 6
- 12Pay 545 2
- dividends 757 2
- R&D 367 1
- Quarterly Reporting - The Logistics 1,232 17
- Auto enrolment contribution rates 481 3
- How long are you waiting for appeal reply 483 4
- Borrowing money to loan to company 438 1
- Mother as Guarantor for Son's mortgage 583 5
- Seeking a tax case 693 9
- When do we qualify for state pension? 556 4
- Companies house strike off 668 3
- Tax treatment of alterations to property 495 2
- Moving to the cloud 789 9
- Iris open space/doc exchange for SATRs 230 2
- How much to charge for payroll? 952 16
- Unincorporated charity transfer to CIO 235 4
- BTC vs Digita 1,124 29
- Has anyone tried calling HMRC to get tax on dividends put in code? 542 4
- HMRC Joint Filing 579
- Capital Contribution towards a company car 433
- Capital Reduction & Impact on EIS Shares 381
- IRIS and FRS 102 369
- National Minimum Wage issue on Directors joining a Workplace Pension 356
- Marginal rates of tax 355
- Capitalising Finance Lease 348
- Class 2 NI 337
- USA help 329
- Dormant company accounts under FRS 102 314