Importing transactions to sales ledger Sage 50
If anyone could help me i would be very greatful. I am an AAT diploma bookkeeper, taken over the accounts function in a company. I have good general knowledge of sage, but am no expert in the technical side.
I am trying to implement a system to import transactions from our main business systems, directly to the Customer Accounts and update the relevant nominal ledgers. I have read the audit trail import sheets, and think I understand the process.
However I have a few questions concerning the way our business works.
We are a Debt recovery agency, and collect payments on our client’s behalf, taking a fee for doing so. We do not operate any client bank accounts.
Payments are taken predominantly by credit and debit cards, but also cheques and bacs. All are processed through our bespoke systems credit control systems. We will use the transactional data from these systems to update the sage ledgers.
Each transaction taken breaks down in to 3 parts:
Our client’s fee
Card processing charges.
Client fees a remitted to them monthly.
Currently, payments are posted manually to the customer account once they have cleared the bank, reconciled against a day book run in excel, client remittances are prepared from this daybook, and payments made the first week in the new month. At the same time as the payment for our clients fees, we raise an invoice for our fees and a dummy invoice for card charges.
The idea behind this is to streamline the bank reconciliation function, as we are a high volume low value company (5000+ transaction per month), the bank rec is an ongoing daily chore, removing the posting of these transaction will free up 90% of my assistants time for other duties.
The parts I am struggling with are:
Can transactions be posted as receipts to the account (SA) if they will haven't cleared the bank account at the time of export? (Card transactions they will take around 3 days to clear). I cannot assume the date of clearing, as it varies on the day of the week, holidays, etc. Waiting until the payments clear will require amending of the data, which i am keen to avoid. My assumption is yes, but with the possibility of leaving unreconciled items, if there are any errors in the data coming in.
In addition to posting these sales receipts, i would like to also automate the posting of transactions to update the Card processing charges expense account and raise the invoice for our fees.
Any help you can give me in this area will be much appreciated.
- Tick & Bash Bristol 165 3
- Accounting for VAT on an EU Acquisition 76 1
- Do I need to pay Capital Gain Tax 390 19
- Tax position re this lease? 118 2
- VAT on Training Courses 126 2
- No VAT apportionment on tools on hand at registration? 129 2
- Self employed travel expenses 137 3
- which software 375 4
- Filing Dormant LLPs with Companies House 43 1
- Is a tax return required - rental income? 386 4
- Audit exempt subsidiary 71 1
- Accounting treatment of service charges incurred prior to occupation 140 1
- Best apps for clients 269 4
- Do I need to report this to SOCA 591 8
- sole trader employing his girlfriend 1,825 16
- HMRC list of tax avoidance schemes 280 2
- Corporation tax - group relief on 75% subsidiary 129 2
- Unpaid company directors and self employment 230 2
- Mortgage interest claim on Buy to let hic up 435 2
- Dissolution of a LLP with ongoing HMRC Inquiry 192 2
- Proposed Amendments to IAS 1 576
- Property exchange - 8-year legal delay following fall-out 448
- Accounting for Insurance Premium Financing 351
- IFA incorporation 333
- Sorry ignore me 311
- Moving into own BTL property - allowable costs 268
- Will Ni be payable on the salary I receive abroad ? 262
- SAGE Payroll Data for Import to MS Dynamics AX 255
- Cancelled 196
- property ownership between husband wife three taxpayers 163