Income for tax credits - mileage allowance
A client works through her own ltd company as a driving instructor. Income at present is low but improving and has been subsidised by other part time work.
A small salary is drawn plus mileage allowance at the 45p a mile rate as the car is not currently owned by the company.
She has been informed by the tax credit office that the mileage allowance should be included as part of her income for their purposes. I checked this with the agents helpline and after some discussion their end they agreed although they thought the allowances had to be included on the P11d and were taxable. They were confused when I told them this was not the case.
Any guidance would be helpful.
- HMRC now overriding SA bank repayment details on tax returns 556 12
- Personal Tax 445 11
- Xerocon 2016 950 19
- buying asset and settling vendor's debt 152 4
- USA Tax Query 112 1
- Disengagement Help! 1,645 25
- Is HMRC Basic Tools basically wrong? 925 6
- Posting invoices with balance brought forward 169 6
- Expenses paid by director (the comapny owner) 222 2
- Write an article on latest tax changes for landlords. 582 18
- Corrupt Excel File 670 10
- Website costs (intangible assets) tax relief 339 4
- Is Xero payroll as rubbish as I suspect it is? 1,961 43
- Entrepreneurs' Relief upon sale of a cash rich company 2,167 39
- Locked Out of HMRC Online Account - HMRC Not Responding 283 2
- Re-Training costs - tax reief 379 7
- Capital Gain on Share Disposal with Held Over Gains 138 1
- 64-8's amazingly quick 256 4
- last minute request 474 5
- VAT - Check on clients business 1,248 46