Income Tax Relief on Subscriber shares but insolvent balance sheet
Client has transferred his shares to a fellow director for no consideration. I am happy that this is the market value of the shares.
He has subscribed for the shares over a number of years, firstly on incorporation and then 2-3 years later when the company needed to raise some money.
I am content that he can get relief under s131 ITA 2007 for the original subscription but then 2-3 years down the line, the company balance sheet is insolvent, so in my mind the shares are worthless when he subscribes for them. I appreciate that he has a monetary loss but I'm not sure that the further subscriptions are allowable for capital losses in this case.
I seem to remember having this argument with HMRC some years ago but my superior tells me to this is an allowable loss.
Any help would be appreciated.
- Anybody still doing returns? 464 21
- no utr 192 8
- client can't/won't pay 2,076 49
- Designated sole Residence 12 1
- Director drawings 561 32
- Tax Returns for non residents 237 2
- Investment properties/freehold land 36 1
- Capital Loss 62 3
- HMRC filing meltdown? 783 25
- HMRC Sends Derbyshire pensioner Doug Yeomans tax demand for £4.7 BILLION! 644 14
- 'My colleague fills in his own Self Assessment" and he/she claims,x,y and z" 389 6
- LLP formed in 2013 61 1
- Capital allowances on transfer of business 83 2
- Clothing 469 11
- Selling Capital Allowences from Self Employed to Ltd Buisness 209 8
- File Abbreviated LLP accounts online? 151 7
- Practice management 429 8
- Interest on pre-letting? 122 4
- Pounds Shillings and Pence 1,679 44
- Will simplified micro entities accounts result in loss of business ? 1,700 22
- Form MR01 (Particulars of a charge) - does this need to be filed if you remortgage with the same lender? 944
- Underpaid VAT assessment and relation to SATR 659
- Did you realise Google will not patch android exploit ... 615
- Latest phishing scam 593
- Cashback for opening business bank acct = trading income? 429
- Auto Enrolment Questions Answered 320
- Scratch Head 256
- Loan benefit after person ceases as director/employee 245
- Sabbatical payments 210
- Negligible Value Claim 188