Income Tax Relief on Subscriber shares but insolvent balance sheet
Client has transferred his shares to a fellow director for no consideration. I am happy that this is the market value of the shares.
He has subscribed for the shares over a number of years, firstly on incorporation and then 2-3 years later when the company needed to raise some money.
I am content that he can get relief under s131 ITA 2007 for the original subscription but then 2-3 years down the line, the company balance sheet is insolvent, so in my mind the shares are worthless when he subscribes for them. I appreciate that he has a monetary loss but I'm not sure that the further subscriptions are allowable for capital losses in this case.
I seem to remember having this argument with HMRC some years ago but my superior tells me to this is an allowable loss.
Any help would be appreciated.
- FILING COMPANY ACCOUNTS 1,019 30
- Dress code 406 13
- What quality paper do you use for correspondence? 483 16
- Accounts submitted to a the charities comission 81 1
- Project being run jointly 196 3
- Buying Microsoft's Surface Pro 3 301 4
- Companies House 594 9
- French Excise Duty - Help Please! 126 1
- not self employed since March 2011 now received a penalty for late tax return for year 2012-13 336 11
- Where to start to get any of jobs in Finance and Accounting Industry 729 9
- How much did you pay for your website 1,431 25
- What would you do in this situation? 611 13
- Help Required 392 10
- directors control and tax problems 266 5
- Fastest Software 801 13
- What's in a name ? 365 5
- Straightforward email correspondence or PDF letter attached to blank email? 286 4
- Bulk Invoicing 188 6
- Travel and Substinance expenses while abroad 176 3
- Self Employed Self Assessment: Capital Allowance and Car Lease/HP 257 2
- CTA study material 712
- Anyone have clients that use Pay4Later to offer customers credit? 434
- Employment related securities question 273
- AIM Stocks and IHT 251
- Recommendations for Ross Martin Tax consultancy 2014 215
- Tax Relief for overseas employees 208
- Raiders of the Lost Tax File 208
- Trust for Employee 195
- Expat pension contributions? 195
- Quickbooks losing VAT return data 166