Income Tax Relief on Subscriber shares but insolvent balance sheet
Client has transferred his shares to a fellow director for no consideration. I am happy that this is the market value of the shares.
He has subscribed for the shares over a number of years, firstly on incorporation and then 2-3 years later when the company needed to raise some money.
I am content that he can get relief under s131 ITA 2007 for the original subscription but then 2-3 years down the line, the company balance sheet is insolvent, so in my mind the shares are worthless when he subscribes for them. I appreciate that he has a monetary loss but I'm not sure that the further subscriptions are allowable for capital losses in this case.
I seem to remember having this argument with HMRC some years ago but my superior tells me to this is an allowable loss.
Any help would be appreciated.
- Solicitors now, Accountants next 802 11
- Depression - HMRC penalties case won because of this illness. 518 19
- How come if you claim benefits you are not entitled to you either have to pay a 50% penalty or are sent to court and either fined or sent to prison (sometimes suspended) and end up with a criminal record. 683 13
- How do you find shareholders of a Cyprus Company ? 297 16
- Anyone using BTC Accounts Production yet? 82 2
- Personal pension 434 9
- Business rates consultancy 262 4
- Wrong tax code 162 6
- Benefit in Kind 245 5
- SELLING A PROPERTY at LOSS/PROFIT - CAP GAINS ALLOWANCE 77 2
- Am I getting Soft?? 266 10
- Accountancy practices - are you closed over Christmas or do you let your staff take it off? 1,055 31
- Deferred Tax 471 8
- Mutual Trading - Exempt CT Income - Do I need clearance? 206 1
- You know its over 485 6
- Co. limited by Guarantee now closed 243 1
- Foreign pension tax credit relief 142 1
- Petrol expenses for self-employed 232 3
- RTI and corrections to payroll 1,278 14
- Cocaine anyone? 627 10
- Hive up 510
- Accounting referance change & deficient accounts. 473
- corporate hierarchy 451
- Advice - 291
- Anyone had HMRC refusing to act on EPS database glitch? 237
- WWOOFers 230
- Art Gallery - Splitting a property between business and personal use 216
- Tax liabilities in USA for warehoused products 193
- The booking.com con 170
- UK State pension paid in NZ 163