Income Tax Relief on Subscriber shares but insolvent balance sheet
Client has transferred his shares to a fellow director for no consideration. I am happy that this is the market value of the shares.
He has subscribed for the shares over a number of years, firstly on incorporation and then 2-3 years later when the company needed to raise some money.
I am content that he can get relief under s131 ITA 2007 for the original subscription but then 2-3 years down the line, the company balance sheet is insolvent, so in my mind the shares are worthless when he subscribes for them. I appreciate that he has a monetary loss but I'm not sure that the further subscriptions are allowable for capital losses in this case.
I seem to remember having this argument with HMRC some years ago but my superior tells me to this is an allowable loss.
Any help would be appreciated.
- IR 35 deemed payment calc 42 1
- break even point 517 14
- Separating a business into retail and wholesale, with husband and wife as separate owner/managers. 80 4
- IHT Query 200 4
- How much to charge? 57 1
- Client charged VAT by US supplier 362 9
- Old Books for a 'NON' Client 417 2
- BrightPay 674 22
- 3 Days Grace for late FPS's? 227 3
- What are CIS subcontractor clients worth to you ? 429 8
- Abolish the penalty regime 204 4
- Gift or Capital Gain? 372 11
- How does the tax payer dis-apply/disclaim from use of their personal allowance? 375 8
- SDLT on leases 128 1
- Is practising Certificate needed 384 7
- Abandoning accountancy membership in order to operate as a sole trader 949 26
- Are Court and tribunal Judges honest/commit fruad ? 308 4
- Statutary sick pay 227 1
- How much?? (ACCA rules on practice insurance) 321 4
- Director Salary 376 2
- Possible Partnership? 457
- Tax and accounting treatment on long lease granted from freehold 431
- Lunatics in charge of the asylum - Bluestone 422
- Purchase of property freehold - capitalisation of costs 223
- Growing Limited Company concerned about assets if something goes wrong 219
- Clubs and Taxable Income 213
- Income tax on foreign dividends 204
- New Fangled Penalties 200
- Subsistence and hotel expenses 200
- Deferring taxable income until after 5 April 168