Income Tax Relief on Subscriber shares but insolvent balance sheet
Client has transferred his shares to a fellow director for no consideration. I am happy that this is the market value of the shares.
He has subscribed for the shares over a number of years, firstly on incorporation and then 2-3 years later when the company needed to raise some money.
I am content that he can get relief under s131 ITA 2007 for the original subscription but then 2-3 years down the line, the company balance sheet is insolvent, so in my mind the shares are worthless when he subscribes for them. I appreciate that he has a monetary loss but I'm not sure that the further subscriptions are allowable for capital losses in this case.
I seem to remember having this argument with HMRC some years ago but my superior tells me to this is an allowable loss.
Any help would be appreciated.
- Non-compete agreement 178 1
- Expenses claim for non employee 195 1
- Any views 736 1
- Using a Business broker to sell a clients Company.....??? 87 1
- Paint Manufacturer Flat Rate Scheme 204 6
- IRIS Practice Management 142 2
- Non Registered trader selling to Malta 102 2
- Need qualification back due to clients' banks needing my references 269 8
- Pre- trading Expenses 87 1
- Was I rude 777 19
- Company overdue but wants to be struck off 184 5
- Dividend payments and shareholdings 171 3
- Corporation tax due date confusion 304 4
- You cannot be Serious!!! 254 1
- Top slicing relief question 232 2
- Valuation of PET on death 116 2
- Incorporation - any tax advantage? 273 6
- Share swap 292 8
- Online filing 168 5
- Payment for goods received on last day of quarter but refunded the next - what options are open here? 332 13
- Skandia using wrong address 1,480
- Nil Rate Band Trust - index linked debt by way of charge over property 815
- International interest certificate 446
- Stamp Duty on share for share exchange 419
- Sale of business 394
- NOVA 288
- IRIS Open Books problem 284
- farming-related R & D tax relief claims 200
- Bonus Bonds 171
- Management expenses for investment company 171