Income Tax Relief on Subscriber shares but insolvent balance sheet
Client has transferred his shares to a fellow director for no consideration. I am happy that this is the market value of the shares.
He has subscribed for the shares over a number of years, firstly on incorporation and then 2-3 years later when the company needed to raise some money.
I am content that he can get relief under s131 ITA 2007 for the original subscription but then 2-3 years down the line, the company balance sheet is insolvent, so in my mind the shares are worthless when he subscribes for them. I appreciate that he has a monetary loss but I'm not sure that the further subscriptions are allowable for capital losses in this case.
I seem to remember having this argument with HMRC some years ago but my superior tells me to this is an allowable loss.
Any help would be appreciated.
- Dividend paid to non-shareholder 490 13
- Property versus Trade in a Ltd Company 273 14
- Whats the best way to keep my accounts? 514 16
- can I claim a per diem 233 5
- EC VAT 191 7
- s.755 ITA 2007 Gains on transactions in land 130 2
- Who picks up the slack? 1,359 8
- How do I clear transaction history - Sage 50 v9 235 6
- VAT on part of a closed pub 230 14
- CA self-employed income below personal allowance 56 1
- HMRC corporation tax software - how to enter negative expense 269 8
- Dispensation pointless ? 524 14
- Snotty HMRC letter - continued 820 19
- Flat rate vat error 297 6
- Underpaid taxes included in tax code connundrum 147 3
- Linux Accounting Software 556 13
- RTI due -no broadband 144 1
- Shareholders selling shares to shareholders, how to account for it? 100 1
- Is Hold over relief available? 118 4
- Personal returns late information - when to get tough? 903 10
- Desperately seeking Susan, Sam or anyone with any other name 820
- Experience with Islamic investor following Sharia-compliant rules? 500
- Darwinpay Partnership Assessment 315
- How to format a stock book 279
- S464A Charge to tax: conferring benefit & BIK 224
- Tax efficient holding company structure 219
- Investment property company accounts template 213
- Outlook 2007 with business contact manager not loading on new laptop 207
- auto enrolment - calculation of first pension deduction 179
- Sage 50 Customer Statements and Running Balances 177