Income Tax Relief on Subscriber shares but insolvent balance sheet
Client has transferred his shares to a fellow director for no consideration. I am happy that this is the market value of the shares.
He has subscribed for the shares over a number of years, firstly on incorporation and then 2-3 years later when the company needed to raise some money.
I am content that he can get relief under s131 ITA 2007 for the original subscription but then 2-3 years down the line, the company balance sheet is insolvent, so in my mind the shares are worthless when he subscribes for them. I appreciate that he has a monetary loss but I'm not sure that the further subscriptions are allowable for capital losses in this case.
I seem to remember having this argument with HMRC some years ago but my superior tells me to this is an allowable loss.
Any help would be appreciated.
- are receipts needed? 543 15
- Clogged Losses 260 5
- Flat rate Vat Scheme & Vat on wholesale production of Cakes and other deserts 260 11
- Going to need a tax, insolvency and legal specialist I think 188 2
- Goods Purchased for Rental 73 1
- Letting relief on property transferred to a spouse 244 9
- Buy to let and capitak gain 45 1
- ideas for a bonus scheme for accountants 638 10
- Charge for use of credit card - permitted 298 7
- New Built in oven - allowable as repair? 243 4
- Accounting for Bank Loyalty Rewards? 102 1
- General tax book with planning 229 5
- Anybody heard of Geniac, the new De Lorean? 167 3
- tax on apprenticeship income 191 1
- Gift of property & improvements 151 3
- VAT Invoice 209 6
- VAT code for invoice from not VAT registered company 281 5
- Error in past Corporate tax return 379 6
- Limited Company - Personal Bank Account 3,277 69
- 2013/14 failure to submit end of year submission 315 11
- Nil Rate Band Trust - index linked debt by way of charge over property 904
- International interest certificate 515
- NOVA 369
- Have we escaped Gift with Reservation of Benfit & Pre-owned asset charges? - Gift after benefit 312
- Management expenses for investment company 270
- Bonus Bonds 263
- Entertainer withholding tax in Australia 178
- P11D benefit received by widow 153
- Insolvency and whistle blowing 146
- Filing past due corporation tax returns 145