Income Tax Relief on Subscriber shares but insolvent balance sheet
Client has transferred his shares to a fellow director for no consideration. I am happy that this is the market value of the shares.
He has subscribed for the shares over a number of years, firstly on incorporation and then 2-3 years later when the company needed to raise some money.
I am content that he can get relief under s131 ITA 2007 for the original subscription but then 2-3 years down the line, the company balance sheet is insolvent, so in my mind the shares are worthless when he subscribes for them. I appreciate that he has a monetary loss but I'm not sure that the further subscriptions are allowable for capital losses in this case.
I seem to remember having this argument with HMRC some years ago but my superior tells me to this is an allowable loss.
Any help would be appreciated.
- Can I take action against my accountant for incompetence? 3,411 69
- West Bromich Albion 423 4
- Estate agents - shared commission 94 2
- MAAT vs ACCA 258 3
- Entrepreneurs relief available? 704 21
- Update workbook linkage without opening source 110 3
- pretty multi rainbow -coloured client spreadsheets 583 15
- Reasonable excuse for not filing returns....Death? 86 1
- Accountancy Career 254 3
- pension paid by company? 200 4
- How not to compose an email 439 1
- Unfair charges for self assessment tax returns. Any recourse? 518 17
- Managing Employee Expenses 52 1
- Tax credit deadline extended by a week 94 1
- What are options for non CA firm 3,002 64
- Is it possible to run/own a UK based business, as a resident of Italy? 75 1
- Small company audit 668 11
- Do I need a smartphone? 509 20
- OVERDRAWN DIRECTORS LOAN ACCOUNT!! 267 3
- P11D with no S336 - Code Change ? 124 3
- Property exchange - 8-year legal delay following fall-out 658
- Have you staged yet for auto enrolment? 447
- Cancelled 415
- SAGE Payroll Data for Import to MS Dynamics AX 358
- Cancelled 356
- Probiz 324
- Free-standing washing machine - unfurnished lettings 306
- Phishing emails purporting to be from CIPFA? 235
- Is this UK incapacity benefit taxable in UK or Jersey? 209
- Another HMRC computer glitch? 174