A request for some advice, pointers and guides to an individual migrating abroad to a non-EU country?
I have a somewhat basic knowledge of R, OR & Domiciled rules and are currently brushing up on the HMRC website.
Thought it would be a good idea to get some pointers / guides / advice before I tackle the task head on :) I'm going to explain below the situation so if you can offer any notes on the content would be greatly appreciated!
The individual (say Mr. A) is migrating overseas for a period of 3+ years and is uncertain on whether he would wish to return to the UK after this period. The date of migration is likely to be Aug 12, thus (to my understanding) he will not be resident for the tax year 12/13 as spending <183 days of the tax year in the UK. What routes / issues should I be considering for tax planning purposes?
Also, as his intention is to remain abroad from the UK for 3+ years he will cease being R and OR from date of departure regardless. I am unsure on what his domiciled status will be - likely NON-Domiciled as no permament residence in the UK (I am researching this further). Is this correct?
Mr. A will likely wish to make voluntary NI contributions over this period in case he desires to return to the UK thus protect his right to a full state pension - can he do this or would it be interpreted as an intention to return to the UK (even if abroad for > 3 years)?
Only bank accounts (ISAs) will remain in the UK. I understand any UK income is assessed on an arising basis. Can he continue to invest in an ISA from abroad if N-R and N-OR? Will the interest become taxable if the decides to leave the investments in the UK?
Thanks for any advice in this matter. Any 'approach' guides would be greatly appreciated!
- Very large share capital by mistake 391 6
- 24 month rule and expenses 160 1
- VAT refund if only output tax on first claim 375 3
- Love is in the air 459 6
- Setting up a practice 222 3
- HP agreement in Directors name but payments under company 639 17
- Stamp Duty 284 4
- Physiotherapist and vat and agency work ( one for Les Howard???) 227 4
- I am 34 years old, am I too old to start a career in Accounting ? which is the best way to pursue it 1,773 21
- Another Sneaky Tax Hike! 492 5
- Incorporation of gp practise 185 1
- Sage Instant Accounts Complete De-install problem 254 9
- Auto enrolment confusion 2,014 46
- Client Paperwork Retention? 555 13
- Paid staff their normal salary instead of SMP 566 7
- Tax Overlap Reporting 343 4
- Pay rise - how to enter in Moneysoft 385 9
- Reimbursing director travel costs 439 6
- Allegedly ICAS most of us at 50 should pack up - Interesting 467 8
- Sage 50 VAT Return 289 2
- DTA tie-breaker issue 295
- Tax Implicatins on a Directors Loan 282
- CGT for NOn UK residents 278
- Employer's pension contribution - need to be PAYE registered? 274
- What are the tax implications of overseas sales through a UK based company? 249
- profit or loss on furnishings and deed of trust 237
- Apprenticeship Levy 235
- Capital Gains personal representatives 219
- Tenants in Common - Actual % split not written down 219
- Discretionary payment to sick employee 194