A request for some advice, pointers and guides to an individual migrating abroad to a non-EU country?
I have a somewhat basic knowledge of R, OR & Domiciled rules and are currently brushing up on the HMRC website.
Thought it would be a good idea to get some pointers / guides / advice before I tackle the task head on :) I'm going to explain below the situation so if you can offer any notes on the content would be greatly appreciated!
The individual (say Mr. A) is migrating overseas for a period of 3+ years and is uncertain on whether he would wish to return to the UK after this period. The date of migration is likely to be Aug 12, thus (to my understanding) he will not be resident for the tax year 12/13 as spending <183 days of the tax year in the UK. What routes / issues should I be considering for tax planning purposes?
Also, as his intention is to remain abroad from the UK for 3+ years he will cease being R and OR from date of departure regardless. I am unsure on what his domiciled status will be - likely NON-Domiciled as no permament residence in the UK (I am researching this further). Is this correct?
Mr. A will likely wish to make voluntary NI contributions over this period in case he desires to return to the UK thus protect his right to a full state pension - can he do this or would it be interpreted as an intention to return to the UK (even if abroad for > 3 years)?
Only bank accounts (ISAs) will remain in the UK. I understand any UK income is assessed on an arising basis. Can he continue to invest in an ISA from abroad if N-R and N-OR? Will the interest become taxable if the decides to leave the investments in the UK?
Thanks for any advice in this matter. Any 'approach' guides would be greatly appreciated!
- What shall I reduce payments on account to? 32 1
- Where has Portia gone? 1,929 66
- Spousal transfer and PPR 546 18
- Deferred Tax Asset & Liability 353 8
- Is it worth being a limited company if already a higher rate taxpayer? 450 8
- Is my client risking reputational damage? 325 9
- Sage Vat return box 2 321 1
- Holiday entitlement 574 11
- transferring from franchisee to ltd comapny 186 4
- Do I have grounds to dispute our accountant’s fees? 447 12
- Performance measurement within accounting practice 314 7
- Capital allowances on taxis 133 1
- Are Sales to Germany considered VAT Taxable turnover for HMRC? 140 2
- New Client wants an Income Certificate for a Mortgage 924 21
- Can i reclaim tax if my fuel cost more than the AFR in a company car 223 3
- Sage line 50 payment before invoice date 208 11
- Best Tax / Accounts Production software 424 10
- Property Purchase in Daughters Name 356 9
- Merging my businesses 185 2
- Getting fees, getting harder? 3,757 73
- Services via intermediaries and new HMRC reporting requirements 789
- RTI - duplicate employee record 551
- Pensions Regulator 449
- How hard is it to reduce a code? 408
- Sanzar 312
- Portia ... Where art thou 301
- Digital marketing focus group 296
- How do you do it 291
- Kashflow balance sheet difference 268
- Report old income 241