A request for some advice, pointers and guides to an individual migrating abroad to a non-EU country?
I have a somewhat basic knowledge of R, OR & Domiciled rules and are currently brushing up on the HMRC website.
Thought it would be a good idea to get some pointers / guides / advice before I tackle the task head on :) I'm going to explain below the situation so if you can offer any notes on the content would be greatly appreciated!
The individual (say Mr. A) is migrating overseas for a period of 3+ years and is uncertain on whether he would wish to return to the UK after this period. The date of migration is likely to be Aug 12, thus (to my understanding) he will not be resident for the tax year 12/13 as spending <183 days of the tax year in the UK. What routes / issues should I be considering for tax planning purposes?
Also, as his intention is to remain abroad from the UK for 3+ years he will cease being R and OR from date of departure regardless. I am unsure on what his domiciled status will be - likely NON-Domiciled as no permament residence in the UK (I am researching this further). Is this correct?
Mr. A will likely wish to make voluntary NI contributions over this period in case he desires to return to the UK thus protect his right to a full state pension - can he do this or would it be interpreted as an intention to return to the UK (even if abroad for > 3 years)?
Only bank accounts (ISAs) will remain in the UK. I understand any UK income is assessed on an arising basis. Can he continue to invest in an ISA from abroad if N-R and N-OR? Will the interest become taxable if the decides to leave the investments in the UK?
Thanks for any advice in this matter. Any 'approach' guides would be greatly appreciated!
- Companies House incorporation service 280 12
- Factors affecting tax charge FRS 19 (marginal rate) 15 1
- P35 and Service Company questions 82 3
- VAT chargeable to conference attendees 175 6
- Is Accountancy Becoming like an Insurance Policy 77 1
- Increasing the personal allowance: A top priority? 367 14
- Long period of account for Corporation Tax 159 7
- Flat Rate VAT and EU sales (Non VAT) 121 3
- NIC £2000 Allowance - Care Support Worker 112 3
- VAT, vans, sole traders and business use. 1,574 12
- Share Capital 84 2
- Trading income or not? 148 1
- Charge HMRC 368 3
- FRS17 query 224 2
- How will auto enrolment affect accountants? 1,755 44
- If I repay my Directors loan, will I haveto pay tax on the profit ? 2,620 29
- Suppliers for Online Card Payments? 563 12
- Slipped out of the self assessment radar 282 2
- How to opt out? 408 6
- Sage Bank Reconciliation 97 1
- Xtuple 542
- Qtac payroll for bureau 372
- Confused - Professional Association a Mutual trader, or not? 314
- Industrial & Provident Societies 308
- Why would HMRC offer to close an investigation by contract settlement 285
- CIS schemes 217
- Domain name sale and limited company 202
- Investment 182
- Director legal fees in loose connection to the company 178
- Italian friend wants to set up a UK company to reduce taxes 176