A request for some advice, pointers and guides to an individual migrating abroad to a non-EU country?
I have a somewhat basic knowledge of R, OR & Domiciled rules and are currently brushing up on the HMRC website.
Thought it would be a good idea to get some pointers / guides / advice before I tackle the task head on :) I'm going to explain below the situation so if you can offer any notes on the content would be greatly appreciated!
The individual (say Mr. A) is migrating overseas for a period of 3+ years and is uncertain on whether he would wish to return to the UK after this period. The date of migration is likely to be Aug 12, thus (to my understanding) he will not be resident for the tax year 12/13 as spending <183 days of the tax year in the UK. What routes / issues should I be considering for tax planning purposes?
Also, as his intention is to remain abroad from the UK for 3+ years he will cease being R and OR from date of departure regardless. I am unsure on what his domiciled status will be - likely NON-Domiciled as no permament residence in the UK (I am researching this further). Is this correct?
Mr. A will likely wish to make voluntary NI contributions over this period in case he desires to return to the UK thus protect his right to a full state pension - can he do this or would it be interpreted as an intention to return to the UK (even if abroad for > 3 years)?
Only bank accounts (ISAs) will remain in the UK. I understand any UK income is assessed on an arising basis. Can he continue to invest in an ISA from abroad if N-R and N-OR? Will the interest become taxable if the decides to leave the investments in the UK?
Thanks for any advice in this matter. Any 'approach' guides would be greatly appreciated!
- Time to ditch Sage? 256 4
- Fees 281 3
- Agent Authorisation Issue 246 3
- Do you use commercial software for Self Assessment tax returns? 390 14
- HMRC Post 531 7
- Transactions with directors 446 3
- CT600 - Credit balance in expenses? 286 9
- Non VAT invoices 200 4
- Travel is part allowable if combined with personal holiday 201 2
- Client in dispute with Customer over cancellation charge 1,390 32
- Correcting earlier year CT600s 256 5
- ACCA Special Business Resolutions... 226 2
- Form 17 Download 152 1
- Claiming VAT on car lease 561 28
- Small hotel - food for personal use 383 4
- HMRC Information notice 994 24
- Recommendations for online payroll software 280 3
- Accountant Specialization. 398 5
- Accounting Web - What is happening? 1,786 42
- Sage Line 50 184 3
- Chart of account segments; Balance sheet vs P&L 764
- Any knowledge of salesorder.com 414
- Could and would anyone here carry out a hot file review of some non statutory audit work please? 365
- Electric Car 299
- S222 Charge 245
- Corporation tax penalties and fines on the CT600 210
- IP trans to holding company 195
- Software to Deal with Amazon and Ebay Sales 185
- AIA 180
- Best way to convert Sage data to VT Transaction+ 178