A request for some advice, pointers and guides to an individual migrating abroad to a non-EU country?
I have a somewhat basic knowledge of R, OR & Domiciled rules and are currently brushing up on the HMRC website.
Thought it would be a good idea to get some pointers / guides / advice before I tackle the task head on :) I'm going to explain below the situation so if you can offer any notes on the content would be greatly appreciated!
The individual (say Mr. A) is migrating overseas for a period of 3+ years and is uncertain on whether he would wish to return to the UK after this period. The date of migration is likely to be Aug 12, thus (to my understanding) he will not be resident for the tax year 12/13 as spending <183 days of the tax year in the UK. What routes / issues should I be considering for tax planning purposes?
Also, as his intention is to remain abroad from the UK for 3+ years he will cease being R and OR from date of departure regardless. I am unsure on what his domiciled status will be - likely NON-Domiciled as no permament residence in the UK (I am researching this further). Is this correct?
Mr. A will likely wish to make voluntary NI contributions over this period in case he desires to return to the UK thus protect his right to a full state pension - can he do this or would it be interpreted as an intention to return to the UK (even if abroad for > 3 years)?
Only bank accounts (ISAs) will remain in the UK. I understand any UK income is assessed on an arising basis. Can he continue to invest in an ISA from abroad if N-R and N-OR? Will the interest become taxable if the decides to leave the investments in the UK?
Thanks for any advice in this matter. Any 'approach' guides would be greatly appreciated!
- Private portion of costs and expenses in Accounts 242 12
- Drop box Storage 129 2
- Is this fraud? 126 3
- Furnished lettings criteria 41 1
- Is there an expert in Excel out there? 395 5
- Saying goodbye 217 6
- Flat rate scheme 84 1
- SAGE TRANSACTIONS DATA 75 2
- Any Scottish members out there? 11,126 412
- Pension Contributions Relief 346 11
- Recovering VAT on property purchase 81 1
- Tax on interest received from insurance company 199 2
- Is it possible to retrospectively change the tax year that dividends were paid. 274 15
- Unnecessary S9A Enquiries 294 1
- Sportman claiming for training kit 956 10
- Naming new company 132 4
- Now Scotland has voted "No", when does England get to vote? 779 33
- UK RESIDENT IN RECEIPT OF USA PENSION 154 2
- More stupid generic notices from HMRC on RTI 279 4
- VAT registration for self employed dentist??? 583 22
- Raiders of the Lost Tax File 1,267
- Chartered Accountant in County Down N.Ireland 452
- National Insurance 351
- Non Resident 265
- Cass 5 FCA Client Money Software recomendation 258
- Franchise income and costs 235
- Hands on experience of Digita 190
- Employer's Helpline 143
- employment capital allowances 133
- CIS paid under reg 9 129