A request for some advice, pointers and guides to an individual migrating abroad to a non-EU country?
I have a somewhat basic knowledge of R, OR & Domiciled rules and are currently brushing up on the HMRC website.
Thought it would be a good idea to get some pointers / guides / advice before I tackle the task head on :) I'm going to explain below the situation so if you can offer any notes on the content would be greatly appreciated!
The individual (say Mr. A) is migrating overseas for a period of 3+ years and is uncertain on whether he would wish to return to the UK after this period. The date of migration is likely to be Aug 12, thus (to my understanding) he will not be resident for the tax year 12/13 as spending <183 days of the tax year in the UK. What routes / issues should I be considering for tax planning purposes?
Also, as his intention is to remain abroad from the UK for 3+ years he will cease being R and OR from date of departure regardless. I am unsure on what his domiciled status will be - likely NON-Domiciled as no permament residence in the UK (I am researching this further). Is this correct?
Mr. A will likely wish to make voluntary NI contributions over this period in case he desires to return to the UK thus protect his right to a full state pension - can he do this or would it be interpreted as an intention to return to the UK (even if abroad for > 3 years)?
Only bank accounts (ISAs) will remain in the UK. I understand any UK income is assessed on an arising basis. Can he continue to invest in an ISA from abroad if N-R and N-OR? Will the interest become taxable if the decides to leave the investments in the UK?
Thanks for any advice in this matter. Any 'approach' guides would be greatly appreciated!
- Advice on letting a client go ? 413 7
- Grammar, spelling and silly questions 264 10
- Tax Penalty overreaction 1,492 11
- Capital Gains PPR and allocation of costs 143 6
- Company dividends 483 14
- dividend versus capital distribution 136 3
- Private Residence Relief after gift 211 4
- EIS reinvestment relief 106 4
- Paying the £30,000 remittance basis charge 98 2
- ITTOIA 2005 s629 184 7
- Receipt bank 218 5
- How Long does it take to get an Agent ID 205 3
- Declaration of interest 60 1
- Companies House late filing penalties 2,746 91
- Unbelievable!! 533 3
- Relevant earnings and losses 172 4
- Non resident income. 326 16
- Knuckle down one week to go! 1,200 23
- Urgent question on company accounting period before it become dormant 118 2
- Do we have to register for VAT? 273 4
- Form MR01 (Particulars of a charge) - does this need to be filed if you remortgage with the same lender? 865
- Underpaid VAT assessment and relation to SATR 557
- Did you realise Google will not patch android exploit ... 523
- Latest phishing scam 433
- Entrepreneurs' relief 396
- Supply teachers and Ltd Companies 349
- Cashback for opening business bank acct = trading income? 325
- Corporate LLP with 30 June Year end - How to record on SA800? 310
- Auto Enrolment Questions Answered 232
- Penalties- On Tax Returns (New Regime) 206