A request for some advice, pointers and guides to an individual migrating abroad to a non-EU country?
I have a somewhat basic knowledge of R, OR & Domiciled rules and are currently brushing up on the HMRC website.
Thought it would be a good idea to get some pointers / guides / advice before I tackle the task head on :) I'm going to explain below the situation so if you can offer any notes on the content would be greatly appreciated!
The individual (say Mr. A) is migrating overseas for a period of 3+ years and is uncertain on whether he would wish to return to the UK after this period. The date of migration is likely to be Aug 12, thus (to my understanding) he will not be resident for the tax year 12/13 as spending <183 days of the tax year in the UK. What routes / issues should I be considering for tax planning purposes?
Also, as his intention is to remain abroad from the UK for 3+ years he will cease being R and OR from date of departure regardless. I am unsure on what his domiciled status will be - likely NON-Domiciled as no permament residence in the UK (I am researching this further). Is this correct?
Mr. A will likely wish to make voluntary NI contributions over this period in case he desires to return to the UK thus protect his right to a full state pension - can he do this or would it be interpreted as an intention to return to the UK (even if abroad for > 3 years)?
Only bank accounts (ISAs) will remain in the UK. I understand any UK income is assessed on an arising basis. Can he continue to invest in an ISA from abroad if N-R and N-OR? Will the interest become taxable if the decides to leave the investments in the UK?
Thanks for any advice in this matter. Any 'approach' guides would be greatly appreciated!
- VAT on work on residential premises (empty for 2 years prior) 43 1
- Bank request To verify Accounts 152 2
- The stupidity continues 1,308 67
- AML report needed? 124 2
- How to claim subsistence for working away from home 138 2
- Land Rover Discovery 3.0 SDV6 255 Comm Auto 2 seat 381 9
- Marketing and email surprises 443 9
- If you've had any issues posting: Please read this 761 26
- What is IRIS World like? 407 10
- transactions after account have been closed 299 9
- Limited company director - other earnings in the tax year 316 5
- Mlom bollocks 230 4
- VT Transactions Stock Issues 97 2
- Non-Europe based but want to do UK taxes 158 1
- CIMA at the age of 35?? 584 11
- Can I claim Vat on solicitors invoices? 301 6
- Offsetting CT losses against another company 276 6
- Calculating capital gains tax for non-residents UK residential property 163 1
- CIS. Why is it so complicated? 2,371 25
- New Employers Helpline 231 4
- Straight line write off of Purchase Goodwill ??? 443
- Has anyone been affected by the RBS payment breakdown? 442
- WIP Software 306
- FRS 102 compliant illustrative accounts for an insurance company 292
- No payroll scheme in place 240
- CGT, PPR and transfer of equity to spouse. 235
- Do subcontractors on work for residential (student accomodation) construction 215
- Is there anything wrong with this? 210
- Small Part Disposal of Property 196
- Uncommercial property business 186