A request for some advice, pointers and guides to an individual migrating abroad to a non-EU country?
I have a somewhat basic knowledge of R, OR & Domiciled rules and are currently brushing up on the HMRC website.
Thought it would be a good idea to get some pointers / guides / advice before I tackle the task head on :) I'm going to explain below the situation so if you can offer any notes on the content would be greatly appreciated!
The individual (say Mr. A) is migrating overseas for a period of 3+ years and is uncertain on whether he would wish to return to the UK after this period. The date of migration is likely to be Aug 12, thus (to my understanding) he will not be resident for the tax year 12/13 as spending <183 days of the tax year in the UK. What routes / issues should I be considering for tax planning purposes?
Also, as his intention is to remain abroad from the UK for 3+ years he will cease being R and OR from date of departure regardless. I am unsure on what his domiciled status will be - likely NON-Domiciled as no permament residence in the UK (I am researching this further). Is this correct?
Mr. A will likely wish to make voluntary NI contributions over this period in case he desires to return to the UK thus protect his right to a full state pension - can he do this or would it be interpreted as an intention to return to the UK (even if abroad for > 3 years)?
Only bank accounts (ISAs) will remain in the UK. I understand any UK income is assessed on an arising basis. Can he continue to invest in an ISA from abroad if N-R and N-OR? Will the interest become taxable if the decides to leave the investments in the UK?
Thanks for any advice in this matter. Any 'approach' guides would be greatly appreciated!
- Accounts submitted to a the charities comission 148 3
- FILING COMPANY ACCOUNTS 1,074 32
- French Excise Duty - Help Please! 153 2
- What would you do in this situation? 667 14
- Dress code 487 13
- What quality paper do you use for correspondence? 512 16
- Project being run jointly 207 3
- Buying Microsoft's Surface Pro 3 315 4
- Companies House 612 9
- not self employed since March 2011 now received a penalty for late tax return for year 2012-13 369 11
- Where to start to get any of jobs in Finance and Accounting Industry 736 9
- How much did you pay for your website 1,449 25
- Help Required 426 10
- directors control and tax problems 306 5
- Fastest Software 808 13
- What's in a name ? 404 5
- Straightforward email correspondence or PDF letter attached to blank email? 315 4
- Bulk Invoicing 193 6
- Travel and Substinance expenses while abroad 187 3
- Self Employed Self Assessment: Capital Allowance and Car Lease/HP 266 2
- CTA study material 715
- Anyone have clients that use Pay4Later to offer customers credit? 438
- Employment related securities question 275
- Recommendations for Ross Martin Tax consultancy 2014 255
- AIM Stocks and IHT 252
- Raiders of the Lost Tax File 227
- Tax Relief for overseas employees 214
- Expat pension contributions? 201
- Trust for Employee 198
- Quickbooks losing VAT return data 179