A request for some advice, pointers and guides to an individual migrating abroad to a non-EU country?
I have a somewhat basic knowledge of R, OR & Domiciled rules and are currently brushing up on the HMRC website.
Thought it would be a good idea to get some pointers / guides / advice before I tackle the task head on :) I'm going to explain below the situation so if you can offer any notes on the content would be greatly appreciated!
The individual (say Mr. A) is migrating overseas for a period of 3+ years and is uncertain on whether he would wish to return to the UK after this period. The date of migration is likely to be Aug 12, thus (to my understanding) he will not be resident for the tax year 12/13 as spending <183 days of the tax year in the UK. What routes / issues should I be considering for tax planning purposes?
Also, as his intention is to remain abroad from the UK for 3+ years he will cease being R and OR from date of departure regardless. I am unsure on what his domiciled status will be - likely NON-Domiciled as no permament residence in the UK (I am researching this further). Is this correct?
Mr. A will likely wish to make voluntary NI contributions over this period in case he desires to return to the UK thus protect his right to a full state pension - can he do this or would it be interpreted as an intention to return to the UK (even if abroad for > 3 years)?
Only bank accounts (ISAs) will remain in the UK. I understand any UK income is assessed on an arising basis. Can he continue to invest in an ISA from abroad if N-R and N-OR? Will the interest become taxable if the decides to leave the investments in the UK?
Thanks for any advice in this matter. Any 'approach' guides would be greatly appreciated!
- hMRand Customs Powers of Arrest 2,768 23
- Running two businesses from the same premises 84 1
- Late Registration for VAT 161 5
- Registering a company late 224 6
- Can someone help me please I don't know how to correct an error regarding an intercompany bank transfer on sage 265 4
- physiotherapy clinic 550 3
- It’s our staff Christmas party this week, what did you do for your firm? 1,901 18
- When do consolidated/group accounts needs preparing? 89 2
- Invest in ''buy to let'' property 1,006 25
- Deferred Tax 124 1
- Preference shares treated as liabilities 74 1
- I've not operated a payroll - will i get charged on late PAYE payments? 406 7
- How much of your work is admin? 171 1
- HMRC Let Property Campaign 1,793 19
- Goodwill complications 149 2
- Personal pension 216 3
- Practical Courses - Accounts Prep 175 1
- VAT Registration for locum Doctors 298 7
- IRIS Accounts Production - Dividends shown in P&L? 256 6
- Gov.UK - can we have HMRC.gov.uk back? 989 26
- TheTax Donut 1,011
- Double taxation relief - same income, different individual 672
- Buying goods in US and selling them to company in US 620
- Follower cases 486
- Limited company purchase of property 414
- Hive up 410
- corporate hierarchy 379
- Accounting referance change & deficient accounts. 376
- LIVE chat, starting now 323
- AIA or IFA 210