A request for some advice, pointers and guides to an individual migrating abroad to a non-EU country?
I have a somewhat basic knowledge of R, OR & Domiciled rules and are currently brushing up on the HMRC website.
Thought it would be a good idea to get some pointers / guides / advice before I tackle the task head on :) I'm going to explain below the situation so if you can offer any notes on the content would be greatly appreciated!
The individual (say Mr. A) is migrating overseas for a period of 3+ years and is uncertain on whether he would wish to return to the UK after this period. The date of migration is likely to be Aug 12, thus (to my understanding) he will not be resident for the tax year 12/13 as spending <183 days of the tax year in the UK. What routes / issues should I be considering for tax planning purposes?
Also, as his intention is to remain abroad from the UK for 3+ years he will cease being R and OR from date of departure regardless. I am unsure on what his domiciled status will be - likely NON-Domiciled as no permament residence in the UK (I am researching this further). Is this correct?
Mr. A will likely wish to make voluntary NI contributions over this period in case he desires to return to the UK thus protect his right to a full state pension - can he do this or would it be interpreted as an intention to return to the UK (even if abroad for > 3 years)?
Only bank accounts (ISAs) will remain in the UK. I understand any UK income is assessed on an arising basis. Can he continue to invest in an ISA from abroad if N-R and N-OR? Will the interest become taxable if the decides to leave the investments in the UK?
Thanks for any advice in this matter. Any 'approach' guides would be greatly appreciated!
- Do I need to report this to SOCA 619 9
- Proceeds of Overseas Property Sale - Any Tax Implications 217 7
- Real names 1,049 33
- Company Secretarial Software 1,344 29
- Tools for conversion OST to PST files 23 1
- FRS to standard - check my understanding 105 2
- Tick & Bash Bristol 245 5
- What are options for non CA firm 1,551 19
- sole trader employing his girlfriend 1,912 17
- Director forgot to take salary for 2013/2014 1,899 11
- Can Sage 50 Forecasting work with Excel 2013 or Office 365 58 1
- What do "Former Contracted Out" rebates mean 110 1
- Downloads EU VAT from 1/1/15 157 4
- Do I need to pay Capital Gain Tax 454 22
- Are pre trading lossess able to be off set if the company does not trade? 85 2
- Accounting for VAT on an EU Acquisition 80 1
- Tax position re this lease? 152 2
- VAT on Training Courses 136 2
- No VAT apportionment on tools on hand at registration? 135 2
- Self employed travel expenses 163 3
- Proposed Amendments to IAS 1 577
- Property exchange - 8-year legal delay following fall-out 451
- Accounting for Insurance Premium Financing 351
- IFA incorporation 335
- Sorry ignore me 316
- Moving into own BTL property - allowable costs 271
- Will Ni be payable on the salary I receive abroad ? 265
- SAGE Payroll Data for Import to MS Dynamics AX 255
- Cancelled 197
- property ownership between husband wife three taxpayers 165