Input VAT - Construction
My client is a VAT registered property development company. They use one main contractor for their developments, a limited company which is also VAT registered.
They are currently running 2 projects. Project A is a new build and the sales are zero-rated; I understand that input VAT on qualifying building materials is reclaimable. Project B is a conversion of a public house into residential units. I am negotiating with the revenue what proportion of the new units is exempt / zero-rated in order to establish a suitable apportionment ration for recovery of input VAT on qualifying building materials.
My question is this. Things weren't complicated enough so my client has had the bright idea of purchasing building materials for both projects directly and passing them to the contractor to use for contracted works. However in practice this has not worked out as planned. Instead the contractor has been purchasing the materials and claiming back the gross amount from my client via 'expenses' with no added VAT component. He then passes the invoices to my client in order that they can reclaim the input VAT. I have advised them that this is not workable but need clarification. The way I see it, either the contractor reclaims the VAT and recharges my client net of VAT (plus 5% where appropriate) or my client pays the invoices directly and reclaims the VAT directly.
Any advice would be gratefully received.
- Gift aid procedure please? 103 3
- What counts as income for the £100k 'salary' cap for free childcare from 2017? 33 1
- last minute request 150 3
- Entrepreneurs relief after enhancement 96 2
- US tax form 1099 (misc?) 73 1
- Cash gift from India 474 13
- GP ACCOUNTS 58 1
- Write an article on latest tax changes for landlords. 387 16
- Stamp Duty based on Exchange or Completion Date 67 2
- Re-Training costs - tax reief 219 6
- VAT - Check on clients business 1,128 44
- Maternity and claining expenses 642 6
- Overseas workday relief 141 5
- HMRC now overriding SA bank repayment details on tax returns 283 3
- Is self-employment "another job" for PAYE 659 13
- Taxation of sinking fund contributions 101 1
- MVL 253 4
- Disengagement Help! 1,502 22
- Is it possible to link documents into transactions in Sage? 123 2
- Creative Auto Enrolment 733 11