Inter-company debt on sale
Company A and Company B are owned by the same person, who is also the sole director of both companies.
Company A is a trading company, company B owns the building that company A trades from and also owns the copyright to the products company A owns. It also pays a salary and dividends to the owner - company A does not pay the owner.
Apart from rent, company B has never made any charge for royalties or management charge to company A.
The owner now wishes to retire to Crete and wishes to sell company A, but retain company B, although as part of the sale he would transfer the copyright to company A and then company B would simply rent the building to company A.
Over the years, company A has transferred money to company B such that company B owes company A approximately £450K but has only £200K cash and negligible distributable reserves. As part of any sale agreement the owner would like this £450K written off.
What would be the best way to write this off to prevent any adverse effect on company A, which will continue to trade under new ownership?
- VAT by Direct Debit 31 3
- Er... 254 2
- Getting fees, getting harder? 1,644 30
- Career advice for ex HMRC Inspector 820 19
- Accountex flash mob 505 17
- Cash extraction pre-sale 184 5
- VAT claim on exempt supply 298 11
- Group structure - transfer of shares 120 5
- Child benefit 324 9
- £3750 earned in Dubai - where on the income tax return??? 87 3
- Tax on selling a sole trader business 299 10
- IR 35 208 5
- Share disposal - help please 100 1
- New desktop accounting and payroll, help, please 340 11
- Final accounts - procedure 338 6
- NIC question 105 1
- sole trader to ltd company 270 3
- Moneysoft Payroll Manager Connection Problem 161 2
- What to do about Moneylaundering Photo ID when client has no official Photo ID 872 7
- Tax Adviser qualification/courses 165 1
- Services via intermediaries and new HMRC reporting requirements 655
- LIVE: Budget aftermath webinar 410
- Pensions Regulator 380
- RTI - duplicate employee record 342
- NIC contribution on unremitted income 328
- SA penalty proposals 307
- Using the correct forms 302
- How hard is it to reduce a code? 297
- Sage Vat return box 2 204
- Digital marketing focus group 202