Inter-company debt on sale
Company A and Company B are owned by the same person, who is also the sole director of both companies.
Company A is a trading company, company B owns the building that company A trades from and also owns the copyright to the products company A owns. It also pays a salary and dividends to the owner - company A does not pay the owner.
Apart from rent, company B has never made any charge for royalties or management charge to company A.
The owner now wishes to retire to Crete and wishes to sell company A, but retain company B, although as part of the sale he would transfer the copyright to company A and then company B would simply rent the building to company A.
Over the years, company A has transferred money to company B such that company B owes company A approximately £450K but has only £200K cash and negligible distributable reserves. As part of any sale agreement the owner would like this £450K written off.
What would be the best way to write this off to prevent any adverse effect on company A, which will continue to trade under new ownership?
- You know its over 419 5
- Am I getting Soft?? 111 8
- Benefit in Kind 179 4
- Foreign pension tax credit relief 127 1
- Deferred Tax 415 6
- Petrol expenses for self-employed 200 3
- Wrong tax code 72 4
- RTI and corrections to payroll 1,257 14
- Co. limited by Guarantee now closed 222 1
- Cocaine anyone? 581 10
- Accounting for cash put into Ltd 109 2
- Dutch and Germany VAT 175 3
- can anyone recommend Turkish speaking accountants in London 296 2
- Depression - HMRC penalties case won because of this illness. 480 15
- LTD home office - would HMRC seek to disallow 1,296 8
- Accountancy practices - are you closed over Christmas or do you let your staff take it off? 995 29
- HMRC BACK AND FORTH FIGHT ON BTL PROPERTY ALLOWANCES 532 9
- How do you find shareholders of a Cyprus Company ? 263 13
- Valuing my fast-growing internet business for transfer of goodwill on incorporation 219 2
- HMRC won't let me set up online DD for PAYE 205 2
- Hive up 498
- Accounting referance change & deficient accounts. 467
- corporate hierarchy 447
- Advice - 284
- Anyone had HMRC refusing to act on EPS database glitch? 230
- WWOOFers 225
- Art Gallery - Splitting a property between business and personal use 211
- Tax liabilities in USA for warehoused products 189
- Mutual Trading - Exempt CT Income - Do I need clearance? 187
- UK State pension paid in NZ 160