Inter-company debt on sale
Company A and Company B are owned by the same person, who is also the sole director of both companies.
Company A is a trading company, company B owns the building that company A trades from and also owns the copyright to the products company A owns. It also pays a salary and dividends to the owner - company A does not pay the owner.
Apart from rent, company B has never made any charge for royalties or management charge to company A.
The owner now wishes to retire to Crete and wishes to sell company A, but retain company B, although as part of the sale he would transfer the copyright to company A and then company B would simply rent the building to company A.
Over the years, company A has transferred money to company B such that company B owes company A approximately £450K but has only £200K cash and negligible distributable reserves. As part of any sale agreement the owner would like this £450K written off.
What would be the best way to write this off to prevent any adverse effect on company A, which will continue to trade under new ownership?
- Company valuation for IHT purposes 95 1
- Do I need a smartphone? 1,703 60
- Principal Private Residence relief on two semis knocked together 86 2
- Have you staged yet for auto enrolment? 573 1
- SMP reclaimable by employer 254 7
- Agent help line - long queues? 206 4
- the umbrella scheme for PAYE 53 1
- inflation rate year on year 56 2
- Entrepreneurs relief sale of business to two different buyers?? 80 2
- Yorkshire Day 497 33
- Deleted question? 626 15
- Self Assessment Tax Return Required ???? 262 8
- Company no longer showing on Companies House web site 328 8
- EU VAT Registration Thresholds 140 6
- Subcontractor and CIS Deductions made by Contractor 341 15
- E-Magazines and pdfs 140 3
- Late annual return 197 2
- Flat rate VAT 363 8
- corporation tax 476 5
- Credit card receipts vs VAT receipts 2,133 29
- Cancelled 456
- Cancelled 379
- SAGE Payroll Data for Import to MS Dynamics AX 372
- Free-standing washing machine - unfurnished lettings 350
- Probiz 349
- Phishing emails purporting to be from CIPFA? 254
- Is this UK incapacity benefit taxable in UK or Jersey? 230
- Another HMRC computer glitch? 222
- More spam 180
- Does anyone have SCI unit contact details? 153