Inter-company debt on sale
Company A and Company B are owned by the same person, who is also the sole director of both companies.
Company A is a trading company, company B owns the building that company A trades from and also owns the copyright to the products company A owns. It also pays a salary and dividends to the owner - company A does not pay the owner.
Apart from rent, company B has never made any charge for royalties or management charge to company A.
The owner now wishes to retire to Crete and wishes to sell company A, but retain company B, although as part of the sale he would transfer the copyright to company A and then company B would simply rent the building to company A.
Over the years, company A has transferred money to company B such that company B owes company A approximately £450K but has only £200K cash and negligible distributable reserves. As part of any sale agreement the owner would like this £450K written off.
What would be the best way to write this off to prevent any adverse effect on company A, which will continue to trade under new ownership?
- How much did you pay for your website 1,206 22
- Dispensing with accounting periods, with nested ledgers. 213 4
- Fastest Software 649 11
- Self Employed Self Assessment: Capital Allowance and Car Lease/HP 99 1
- Where did it go? 233 2
- cancellation of Engagement 131 2
- Seed Enterprise Investment Scheme Charges 85 1
- Feuding directors 243 8
- VAT Registration for Building Company 99 2
- FILING COMPANY ACCOUNTS 489 12
- Vat threshold issues 1,899 14
- Company Accounts - Limited company 609 5
- Use of Home for Sole Trader 230 4
- Vodaphone Share Scheme 94 1
- Benefit fraud 3,421 49
- SA Tax Returns 153 3
- Agent Change of Postal Address 140 2
- Consolidated accounts 123 2
- On line petition re HMRC grabbing money from taxpayer bank accounts 1,025 24
- How to deal with a prior year CT adjustment 357 12
- CTA study material 650
- Anyone have clients that use Pay4Later to offer customers credit? 393
- Employment related securities question 246
- ATED Penalties 220
- AIM Stocks and IHT 200
- Tax Relief for overseas employees 168
- Trust for Employee 153
- Expat pension contributions? 149
- Staff accommodation without a rental value or RV 134
- Capital allowances 122