Inter-company debt on sale
Company A and Company B are owned by the same person, who is also the sole director of both companies.
Company A is a trading company, company B owns the building that company A trades from and also owns the copyright to the products company A owns. It also pays a salary and dividends to the owner - company A does not pay the owner.
Apart from rent, company B has never made any charge for royalties or management charge to company A.
The owner now wishes to retire to Crete and wishes to sell company A, but retain company B, although as part of the sale he would transfer the copyright to company A and then company B would simply rent the building to company A.
Over the years, company A has transferred money to company B such that company B owes company A approximately £450K but has only £200K cash and negligible distributable reserves. As part of any sale agreement the owner would like this £450K written off.
What would be the best way to write this off to prevent any adverse effect on company A, which will continue to trade under new ownership?
- Just another average day trying to deal with HMRC 1,312 16
- Concurrent users 256 5
- Capital Goods Scheme 13 1
- Laptop help needed I bought the wrong operating system 412 9
- Software to Deal with Amazon and Ebay Sales 218 1
- Copies of every transaction can't be OK!! 2,001 13
- Selling Business 248 2
- Late loss relief claim 85 1
- Losses carry forward to self employed 484 8
- Creation of leases out of freehold 130 1
- CGT usage of ER lifetime limit 195 11
- Overseas marketing conferences 75 2
- Advice for new build property 288 4
- HMRC Online services password 152 3
- ACCA Special Business Resolutions... 407 6
- HMRC Post 826 11
- Goodwill and the Summer 2015 Budget 498 5
- Time to ditch Sage? 749 12
- Freelance/Employee 842 19
- Self Assessment - income for US property 152 3
- Chart of account segments; Balance sheet vs P&L 787
- Any knowledge of salesorder.com 431
- Could and would anyone here carry out a hot file review of some non statutory audit work please? 381
- Electric Car 323
- S222 Charge 260
- Corporation tax penalties and fines on the CT600 232
- IP trans to holding company 207
- AIA 200
- Best way to convert Sage data to VT Transaction+ 194
- Car used both in a partnership and sole trader business - how to claim capital allowances? 156