Inter-company debt on sale
Company A and Company B are owned by the same person, who is also the sole director of both companies.
Company A is a trading company, company B owns the building that company A trades from and also owns the copyright to the products company A owns. It also pays a salary and dividends to the owner - company A does not pay the owner.
Apart from rent, company B has never made any charge for royalties or management charge to company A.
The owner now wishes to retire to Crete and wishes to sell company A, but retain company B, although as part of the sale he would transfer the copyright to company A and then company B would simply rent the building to company A.
Over the years, company A has transferred money to company B such that company B owes company A approximately £450K but has only £200K cash and negligible distributable reserves. As part of any sale agreement the owner would like this £450K written off.
What would be the best way to write this off to prevent any adverse effect on company A, which will continue to trade under new ownership?
- What rent was paid for income tax purposes? 51 1
- Who's going to the next Tick & Bash? 34 2
- A round of applause please for winner of BITCH OF THE 456 13
- CGT history of shares 182 4
- Director Expenses and P11D but no PAYE scheme in place 146 5
- Client Entertainment to get new business or referral as opposed to say thanks 187 3
- CIS Subcontractor Catch Twenty Two Position after 14 years 336 6
- CGT on sale of let property 127 2
- ACCA, ACPA, IFA, ICPA 187 2
- how do i get UTR 148 3
- Input VAT suffered in EU 92 2
- Is there any good reading I can obtain to do self assesment on partnerships? 239 3
- How do you get HMRC to refund overpaid PAYE and NIC 141 1
- Your comments please 317 6
- VAT on Royal Mail Parcel Services 196 9
- CT600 deadline & shortened year end 133 2
- EIS 199 4
- Income Splitting - form 17 and DoT 136 1
- Charity requirements to report ALL I&E in accounts 118 2
- Transfer of Software to sister company 131 1
- Moving away from CCH software 969
- QROP pension input amounts 453
- write off loan or loan to equity swap or both 398
- HMRC BENCHMARK EXPENSES 384
- fraud 306
- EIS relief on transferring shares to spouse 284
- Sole trade business in UK, but the owner works from EU 246
- Construction CIS LLP Company 231
- EPS and CIS deductions 225
- Out of time or not? 211