Inter-company debt on sale
Company A and Company B are owned by the same person, who is also the sole director of both companies.
Company A is a trading company, company B owns the building that company A trades from and also owns the copyright to the products company A owns. It also pays a salary and dividends to the owner - company A does not pay the owner.
Apart from rent, company B has never made any charge for royalties or management charge to company A.
The owner now wishes to retire to Crete and wishes to sell company A, but retain company B, although as part of the sale he would transfer the copyright to company A and then company B would simply rent the building to company A.
Over the years, company A has transferred money to company B such that company B owes company A approximately £450K but has only £200K cash and negligible distributable reserves. As part of any sale agreement the owner would like this £450K written off.
What would be the best way to write this off to prevent any adverse effect on company A, which will continue to trade under new ownership?
- Cash basis 482 13
- Income from rent charged to business 61 2
- payroll software 352 3
- Instant CPD offer 257 3
- CIMA accountant wants to start consultancy 422 5
- Statutory sick pay 285 4
- Dividend in specie 355 9
- Complicated Company car purchase 209 2
- Ltd Company Buying Own Shares and Transferring Assets 169 3
- Retail vat schemes for a restaurant 139 1
- Rental Property W&T And Equipment 265 1
- Legislation access for part-time sole practitioner? 291 1
- Ownership of land - declaration of trust 158 3
- Fee base v staff ratio 355 6
- NIC thresholds - two employments 1,850 27
- Statutory Accounts - Dividends Disclosure Note 327 3
- Unincorporated organistion ceasing to exist 243 2
- Gift in kind to charity by company: services 98 1
- Investor exit 194 3
- Partially exempt? 379 10
- Skandia using wrong address 565
- FHL, period of grace and Entrepreneur's relief 305
- Does anyone use PS Financials accounting software out there? 302
- Employee rewards 286
- Gift of reversion and lease into trust by two different people - later PPR 243
- EPS Analysis - Change to EURO 223
- Etax Australian 184
- LLP in Construction Industry 149
- Interest and late payment charges HMRC 129
- Selling On Amazon & Calculatign Prices/Vat 129