Inter-company debt on sale
Company A and Company B are owned by the same person, who is also the sole director of both companies.
Company A is a trading company, company B owns the building that company A trades from and also owns the copyright to the products company A owns. It also pays a salary and dividends to the owner - company A does not pay the owner.
Apart from rent, company B has never made any charge for royalties or management charge to company A.
The owner now wishes to retire to Crete and wishes to sell company A, but retain company B, although as part of the sale he would transfer the copyright to company A and then company B would simply rent the building to company A.
Over the years, company A has transferred money to company B such that company B owes company A approximately £450K but has only £200K cash and negligible distributable reserves. As part of any sale agreement the owner would like this £450K written off.
What would be the best way to write this off to prevent any adverse effect on company A, which will continue to trade under new ownership?
- IHT Query 40 1
- When should i raise VAT invoice after pro-forma payment received? 291 9
- Abandoning accountancy membership in order to operate as a sole trader 833 22
- Reversing out RTI 81 4
- Gift or Capital Gain? 288 8
- Capital Gain? 396 10
- Sage instant bank rec - is it possible to clear past transactions and reconcile from a given month? 266 6
- BrightPay 606 18
- Classic cars investment 235 7
- Are Court and tribunal Judges honest/commit fruad ? 202 3
- Client charged VAT by US supplier 317 7
- What are CIS subcontractor clients worth to you ? 320 7
- New Company - Corp Tax Period 265 9
- Fees for dealing with auto-enrolment 255 2
- H&W company 214 3
- VAT on sale of Vehicle 183 3
- tax teatment of index linked mortgage repayment 168 2
- How much?? (ACCA rules on practice insurance) 157 1
- Does anyone use a cloud based payroll software 801 32
- VAT silly question 2,405 56
- Benchmarking 490
- Possible Partnership? 433
- Lunatics in charge of the asylum - Bluestone 410
- Tax and accounting treatment on long lease granted from freehold 409
- Old Books for a 'NON' Client 352
- Purchase of property freehold - capitalisation of costs 208
- Growing Limited Company concerned about assets if something goes wrong 206
- Clubs and Taxable Income 198
- Income tax on foreign dividends 191
- Subsistence and hotel expenses 184