Inter-company debt on sale
Company A and Company B are owned by the same person, who is also the sole director of both companies.
Company A is a trading company, company B owns the building that company A trades from and also owns the copyright to the products company A owns. It also pays a salary and dividends to the owner - company A does not pay the owner.
Apart from rent, company B has never made any charge for royalties or management charge to company A.
The owner now wishes to retire to Crete and wishes to sell company A, but retain company B, although as part of the sale he would transfer the copyright to company A and then company B would simply rent the building to company A.
Over the years, company A has transferred money to company B such that company B owes company A approximately £450K but has only £200K cash and negligible distributable reserves. As part of any sale agreement the owner would like this £450K written off.
What would be the best way to write this off to prevent any adverse effect on company A, which will continue to trade under new ownership?
- Limited Company - Personal Bank Account 3,725 77
- Dependant Relative 217 3
- Providing registered office address to clients 206 5
- What would you do in this situation? 306 8
- Payroll experience for beginning AAT student 186 5
- Halloween - do you celebrate it? 1,499 49
- Capital allowances anti-avoidance 420 14
- Foster Care 111 1
- Share premium or Directors Loan 791 33
- TOMS - Travel Agents 47 1
- Insurance Claim & VAT 88 1
- Interest Free Loan - Salay Sacrifice? 275 5
- Rollover relief - when does gain crystallise in this situation? 139 2
- HMRC Money Laundering Visit 583 3
- Dividend Payments 506 12
- Employed clients and expenses 896 18
- More HMRC on gov.uk 676 12
- Interest on HMRC contract settlement 208 4
- Enquiry into tax return - how co-operative would you be? 458 8
- Goodwill gesture for providing work 498 12
- Bonus Bonds 397
- Insolvency and whistle blowing 391
- Transfer of funds into recently set up company 304
- TPR imposes first penalty notice fines 265
- Husband proposes to buy the car as Director unable to acess finance 200
- Box 8 VAT Return - deposit payment 197
- Company Car Lease 172
- Finance Lease 162
- Form 42 154
- Demerger Reserve 136