Inter-company debt on sale
Company A and Company B are owned by the same person, who is also the sole director of both companies.
Company A is a trading company, company B owns the building that company A trades from and also owns the copyright to the products company A owns. It also pays a salary and dividends to the owner - company A does not pay the owner.
Apart from rent, company B has never made any charge for royalties or management charge to company A.
The owner now wishes to retire to Crete and wishes to sell company A, but retain company B, although as part of the sale he would transfer the copyright to company A and then company B would simply rent the building to company A.
Over the years, company A has transferred money to company B such that company B owes company A approximately £450K but has only £200K cash and negligible distributable reserves. As part of any sale agreement the owner would like this £450K written off.
What would be the best way to write this off to prevent any adverse effect on company A, which will continue to trade under new ownership?
- Entrepreneur relief and deduction of Amortisation of Goodwill Pre2002 111 4
- Taxation of sinking fund contributions 385 5
- No PAYE Registration but need auto enrolment 521 12
- Incorporate to utilise dividend allowance next year? 500 9
- Transferring DLA between Directors 293 3
- Company restructure - Share valuation, ERS and PAYE 124 2
- FHLs and Entrepreneurs Relief 107 1
- Director owns 47% of shares in company A and 100% of shares in Company B. Is Company B a participator in Company A for S455 purposes? 186 1
- Stumped - IHT 340 5
- Creative Auto Enrolment 815 12
- HMRC now overriding SA bank repayment details on tax returns 1,382 35
- New LLP, basis of assessment and which boxes to complete? 121 3
- Rental losses on jointly owned property 258 4
- True Potential AE 276 2
- Closing down loss-making company 517 6
- CGT and primary residence 231 2
- Overpaid In Employers NI - RTI EYU for hundreds of employees 331 3
- Private doctors - Ltd company vs partnership 1,249 14
- VAT disaggregation 295 4
- Giving shares away 461 8