Inter-company debt on sale
Company A and Company B are owned by the same person, who is also the sole director of both companies.
Company A is a trading company, company B owns the building that company A trades from and also owns the copyright to the products company A owns. It also pays a salary and dividends to the owner - company A does not pay the owner.
Apart from rent, company B has never made any charge for royalties or management charge to company A.
The owner now wishes to retire to Crete and wishes to sell company A, but retain company B, although as part of the sale he would transfer the copyright to company A and then company B would simply rent the building to company A.
Over the years, company A has transferred money to company B such that company B owes company A approximately £450K but has only £200K cash and negligible distributable reserves. As part of any sale agreement the owner would like this £450K written off.
What would be the best way to write this off to prevent any adverse effect on company A, which will continue to trade under new ownership?
- VAT Tax Point - Overseas Purchase 54 2
- DAILY PENALTIES / APPEALS 174 1
- Ceasing in membership of ATT 368 4
- Recourse to Accountant for incorrect accounts 1,806 18
- Entrepreneurs Relief 582 27
- SA -2012_13 return - worth changing? 164 3
- Seting up a Direct Debit for PAYE 105 1
- How to filter to show only rows with 'Total' in description? 188 4
- IHT dilemma 1,272 19
- Micro Entity Accounts 289 3
- Aweb tracking ... 226 3
- PAYE 1,316 16
- Self Assessment - Declaring Pension Lump Sum on Tax Return 111 1
- Gifts from limited companies 162 2
- Construction Industry Allowable expenses 361 8
- Are any of you agents for doctors? 348 2
- VAT 115 1
- RTI overpayments gap 245 3
- Can a once active Limited company become dormant? 230 5
- Sage payroll alternatives 564 11
- Auto enrolment excuses 1,126
- Feedback on accounts production software for IFRS 786
- Add T&Cs to Sales Order in Sage 472
- Digita Hosted Software 304
- Credit where credit's due....... 247
- Buying goods in US and selling them to company in US 217
- Director phone costs 202
- General rule: Evidence that the customer is in business 175
- Warning for freeagent accountants using payroll import 151
- Flat rate VAT- other income calculation 138