Interesting tribunal decision on film partnerships
Two film partnerships recently came unstuck at a joint hearing, where the first tier tribunal decided that they were not undertaken on a commercial basis, so the partners were not entitled to sideways loss relief.
The case in question revolved around appeals by Samarkand Film Partnership No 3 and Proteus Film Partnership No 1 against HMRC’s treatment of their claimed losses. Both partnerships used the services of Future Film Capital Partners Ltd and bought or leased negatives of films including ‘The Queen’ and ‘Oliver Twist’.
In an enlightening, but complex write-up in its tax update this week, Smith & Williamson explained that while the accounting results of the film projects showed an accounting profit, the tribunal considered the net present value of the arrangements to be insufficient to demonstrate a commercial activity was undertaken.
We’re working on a more detailed explanation, but thought that AccountingWEB members might be able to help with our analysis. First - does anyone still get involved with film partnership schemes?
My impression was that the sheen has been wearing off this area and that where the provisions haven’t been tightened up, HMRC has been energetically launching investigations into film partnership loss claims. I’m still looking for the relevant legislation and guidance, if anyone is able to help.
- CIS repayment shambles finally over? 122 1
- MONEYSOFT - EARLIER YEAR UPDATE 108 2
- VT accounts licence key 76 3
- Other forums 132 2
- Underpaid National Insurance 110 2
- Career Advice 144 3
- Keep receiving RTI late submission notice 97 2
- Small employers paying people when sick thanks alot! 2,902 29
- Would this save hours of your time? 233 5
- Payroo Employer allowance query 81 1
- non resident receiving UK dividends 170 2
- Wrong career 215 8
- Adjusting over-provision of Corporation Tax in previous year 214 6
- Producing graphical KPI's etc 103 3
- Agent with HMRC 280 11
- Quarterly PAYE 279 8
- bookkeeping for interest & dividends 187 3
- Auto Enrolment & Moneysoft 573 4
- Newsletter 248 5
- RTI Filing 1,770 22
- Residential Property Purchase Above £750K 775
- Using Sage with Sofa Categories 529
- Does anyone have an unwanted ICAEW wooden plaque? 395
- Goods shipped inter EU and VAT Reporting 281
- Non-Resident Director - UK Tax Position? 224
- Sage 200 and Access Dimensions reviews 219
- Director Loan account operation 216
- Free Tax Legislation? 210
- transferring simply accounting 2010 from xp to windows 7 209
- vat return 180