Interesting tribunal decision on film partnerships
Two film partnerships recently came unstuck at a joint hearing, where the first tier tribunal decided that they were not undertaken on a commercial basis, so the partners were not entitled to sideways loss relief.
The case in question revolved around appeals by Samarkand Film Partnership No 3 and Proteus Film Partnership No 1 against HMRC’s treatment of their claimed losses. Both partnerships used the services of Future Film Capital Partners Ltd and bought or leased negatives of films including ‘The Queen’ and ‘Oliver Twist’.
In an enlightening, but complex write-up in its tax update this week, Smith & Williamson explained that while the accounting results of the film projects showed an accounting profit, the tribunal considered the net present value of the arrangements to be insufficient to demonstrate a commercial activity was undertaken.
We’re working on a more detailed explanation, but thought that AccountingWEB members might be able to help with our analysis. First - does anyone still get involved with film partnership schemes?
My impression was that the sheen has been wearing off this area and that where the provisions haven’t been tightened up, HMRC has been energetically launching investigations into film partnership loss claims. I’m still looking for the relevant legislation and guidance, if anyone is able to help.
- Hobby Horse 784 8
- Non resident income. 449 20
- What sectors to target? 610 30
- FYAs on second-hand vans 257 7
- Rent a room scheme query. 190 3
- client can't/won't pay 1,937 41
- Self assesment online 995 11
- UKBA financial requirements for spouse visa 267 21
- Why do I do this every year 418 9
- Watch out self-assessment scam e-mail 304 5
- closing limited company 188 2
- VAT when selling on Amazon 103 1
- HMRC filing meltdown? 524 14
- Childcare voucher schemes 256 9
- IHT and US resident 73 1
- Limited Companies Merger 212 6
- Incidental costs of Acquisition for inherited property/shares 142 1
- Practice management 386 7
- IHT and cash gifts 254 5
- HMRC Sends Derbyshire pensioner Doug Yeomans tax demand for £4.7 BILLION! 569 13
- Form MR01 (Particulars of a charge) - does this need to be filed if you remortgage with the same lender? 933
- Underpaid VAT assessment and relation to SATR 652
- Did you realise Google will not patch android exploit ... 602
- Latest phishing scam 580
- Cashback for opening business bank acct = trading income? 417
- Auto Enrolment Questions Answered 315
- Scratch Head 242
- Loan benefit after person ceases as director/employee 237
- Sabbatical payments 200
- Negligible Value Claim 176