Interesting tribunal decision on film partnerships
Two film partnerships recently came unstuck at a joint hearing, where the first tier tribunal decided that they were not undertaken on a commercial basis, so the partners were not entitled to sideways loss relief.
The case in question revolved around appeals by Samarkand Film Partnership No 3 and Proteus Film Partnership No 1 against HMRC’s treatment of their claimed losses. Both partnerships used the services of Future Film Capital Partners Ltd and bought or leased negatives of films including ‘The Queen’ and ‘Oliver Twist’.
In an enlightening, but complex write-up in its tax update this week, Smith & Williamson explained that while the accounting results of the film projects showed an accounting profit, the tribunal considered the net present value of the arrangements to be insufficient to demonstrate a commercial activity was undertaken.
We’re working on a more detailed explanation, but thought that AccountingWEB members might be able to help with our analysis. First - does anyone still get involved with film partnership schemes?
My impression was that the sheen has been wearing off this area and that where the provisions haven’t been tightened up, HMRC has been energetically launching investigations into film partnership loss claims. I’m still looking for the relevant legislation and guidance, if anyone is able to help.
- Rollover Relief - Commercial to Residential 145 4
- Intercompany - Sage 50 Accounts 19 1
- Writing Website Content 431 17
- HMRC Post 884 12
- Form 17 Download 278 2
- Schedule A losses 408 12
- Just another average day trying to deal with HMRC 1,934 26
- The Pensions Regulator 303 8
- Client having a go at me 657 14
- Companies House BETA 891 11
- VAT on Second Hand Touring Caravans 83 1
- Childcare & P11D 82 1
- Badges of trade 229 2
- Date of leaving on P.45 355 13
- Seeking advice: Charging VAT on commission on my commission! 200 5
- Sage 50 - Aged Debtors and Creditors Reports 103 1
- Member meet up 1 October in London 553 15
- CT600 X ERROR in relation to Tangible Assets 106 2
- Concurrent users 707 9
- What would you do? 1,156 7
- Any knowledge of salesorder.com 443
- Could and would anyone here carry out a hot file review of some non statutory audit work please? 406
- Electric Car 347
- S222 Charge 276
- Corporation tax penalties and fines on the CT600 255
- AIA 232
- IP trans to holding company 215
- Best way to convert Sage data to VT Transaction+ 214
- Payroll Manager - tax code for starter declaration 'C' 187
- Car used both in a partnership and sole trader business - how to claim capital allowances? 182