Interesting tribunal decision on film partnerships
Two film partnerships recently came unstuck at a joint hearing, where the first tier tribunal decided that they were not undertaken on a commercial basis, so the partners were not entitled to sideways loss relief.
The case in question revolved around appeals by Samarkand Film Partnership No 3 and Proteus Film Partnership No 1 against HMRC’s treatment of their claimed losses. Both partnerships used the services of Future Film Capital Partners Ltd and bought or leased negatives of films including ‘The Queen’ and ‘Oliver Twist’.
In an enlightening, but complex write-up in its tax update this week, Smith & Williamson explained that while the accounting results of the film projects showed an accounting profit, the tribunal considered the net present value of the arrangements to be insufficient to demonstrate a commercial activity was undertaken.
We’re working on a more detailed explanation, but thought that AccountingWEB members might be able to help with our analysis. First - does anyone still get involved with film partnership schemes?
My impression was that the sheen has been wearing off this area and that where the provisions haven’t been tightened up, HMRC has been energetically launching investigations into film partnership loss claims. I’m still looking for the relevant legislation and guidance, if anyone is able to help.
- 27,000 Really? 1,034 31
- Legal title not in the company name 760 23
- FRS12 Redundancy and notice period provision 60 1
- Unfair charges for self assessment tax returns. Any recourse? 63 1
- This is getting boring 579 12
- Using profits from Ltd company as start up funds for new venture 232 7
- pension paid by company? 84 3
- inheritance tax 398 12
- pretty multi rainbow -coloured client spreadsheets 319 9
- Sage 50 re-key - VAT problem 213 4
- State pension 287 3
- Accountancy Career 106 1
- CIC Company 652 13
- Exactly which business miles can I claim from my employer? 1,814 22
- Can I take action against my accountant for incompetence? 3,272 66
- Deduction from Salary 638 15
- Bank account of a different company being used for transactions. 428 5
- Group Audit Thresholds 352 10
- One off meeting new client 1,685 16
- Why would they want his purchase invoices?? 304 3
- Property exchange - 8-year legal delay following fall-out 639
- Cancelled 393
- SAGE Payroll Data for Import to MS Dynamics AX 353
- Cancelled 333
- Have you staged yet for auto enrolment? 307
- Probiz 301
- Free-standing washing machine - unfurnished lettings 278
- VAT on non-profit making clubs (ECJ VS West Dorset Golf Club) 258
- How not to compose an email 246
- Phishing emails purporting to be from CIPFA? 221