Interesting tribunal decision on film partnerships
Two film partnerships recently came unstuck at a joint hearing, where the first tier tribunal decided that they were not undertaken on a commercial basis, so the partners were not entitled to sideways loss relief.
The case in question revolved around appeals by Samarkand Film Partnership No 3 and Proteus Film Partnership No 1 against HMRC’s treatment of their claimed losses. Both partnerships used the services of Future Film Capital Partners Ltd and bought or leased negatives of films including ‘The Queen’ and ‘Oliver Twist’.
In an enlightening, but complex write-up in its tax update this week, Smith & Williamson explained that while the accounting results of the film projects showed an accounting profit, the tribunal considered the net present value of the arrangements to be insufficient to demonstrate a commercial activity was undertaken.
We’re working on a more detailed explanation, but thought that AccountingWEB members might be able to help with our analysis. First - does anyone still get involved with film partnership schemes?
My impression was that the sheen has been wearing off this area and that where the provisions haven’t been tightened up, HMRC has been energetically launching investigations into film partnership loss claims. I’m still looking for the relevant legislation and guidance, if anyone is able to help.
- Gov.UK = NOT OK! 46 2
- Gave wrong info to client about tax due 459 16
- Will I need to resign? 68 1
- Paper tax return 83 3
- Start up allowance? 335 11
- Invest in ''buy to let'' property 1,329 41
- Penalty for late PAYE registration? 227 3
- Fines for filing 12 months of FPS on one submission 159 1
- AIA or IFA 422 7
- Surely not? 419 10
- Batch input of data to Xero - is there an app? 623 9
- Running two businesses from the same premises 356 3
- Working out private usage for a Taxi Driver? 348 7
- Late Registration for VAT 348 11
- Old CGT loss 169 2
- When do consolidated/group accounts needs preparing? 260 5
- Nominal Ledger 342 10
- Share structures 139 5
- It’s our staff Christmas party this week, what did you do for your firm? 2,150 19
- Meal Allowance - Limited Company 340 5