Interesting tribunal decision on film partnerships
Two film partnerships recently came unstuck at a joint hearing, where the first tier tribunal decided that they were not undertaken on a commercial basis, so the partners were not entitled to sideways loss relief.
The case in question revolved around appeals by Samarkand Film Partnership No 3 and Proteus Film Partnership No 1 against HMRC’s treatment of their claimed losses. Both partnerships used the services of Future Film Capital Partners Ltd and bought or leased negatives of films including ‘The Queen’ and ‘Oliver Twist’.
In an enlightening, but complex write-up in its tax update this week, Smith & Williamson explained that while the accounting results of the film projects showed an accounting profit, the tribunal considered the net present value of the arrangements to be insufficient to demonstrate a commercial activity was undertaken.
We’re working on a more detailed explanation, but thought that AccountingWEB members might be able to help with our analysis. First - does anyone still get involved with film partnership schemes?
My impression was that the sheen has been wearing off this area and that where the provisions haven’t been tightened up, HMRC has been energetically launching investigations into film partnership loss claims. I’m still looking for the relevant legislation and guidance, if anyone is able to help.
- Tax treatment on the sale of a business 338 18
- Late VAT registration penalty 40 1
- Company incorrectly marked 'dormant' by HMRC 79 1
- VAT on “Reimbursement” from third parties 60 2
- Pricing 185 8
- Sage error message 21 1
- VAT on converted property having opted to tax 200 8
- Twenty signs your practice is bad at tax 115 3
- Auto-Enrolment 3,043 158
- Money laundering POCA 198 4
- Statutory Accounts - Dividends Disclosure Note 84 1
- P11d mistake 110 1
- Place of Supply or these two contracts walk into a German Bar 179 2
- Accountants who provide tech/IT advice 467 1
- CLG exempt under s60 126 2
- Improvement expenses allowable against rental income 146 4
- Alternative to CIS 419 9
- Can I become a self employed bookkeeper?? 387 4
- Supplier 1,268 13
- How to account for VAT on a newbuild that has been let 147 2
- Best way to take money from a business if you have unlimited EIS allowances? 500
- Skandia using wrong address 444
- Does anyone use PS Financials accounting software out there? 266
- FHL, period of grace and Entrepreneur's relief 240
- Employee rewards 233
- Legislation access for part-time sole practitioner? 208
- EPS Analysis - Change to EURO 203
- Rental Property W&T And Equipment 185
- Gift of reversion and lease into trust by two different people - later PPR 181
- Etax Australian 151