Interesting tribunal decision on film partnerships
Two film partnerships recently came unstuck at a joint hearing, where the first tier tribunal decided that they were not undertaken on a commercial basis, so the partners were not entitled to sideways loss relief.
The case in question revolved around appeals by Samarkand Film Partnership No 3 and Proteus Film Partnership No 1 against HMRC’s treatment of their claimed losses. Both partnerships used the services of Future Film Capital Partners Ltd and bought or leased negatives of films including ‘The Queen’ and ‘Oliver Twist’.
In an enlightening, but complex write-up in its tax update this week, Smith & Williamson explained that while the accounting results of the film projects showed an accounting profit, the tribunal considered the net present value of the arrangements to be insufficient to demonstrate a commercial activity was undertaken.
We’re working on a more detailed explanation, but thought that AccountingWEB members might be able to help with our analysis. First - does anyone still get involved with film partnership schemes?
My impression was that the sheen has been wearing off this area and that where the provisions haven’t been tightened up, HMRC has been energetically launching investigations into film partnership loss claims. I’m still looking for the relevant legislation and guidance, if anyone is able to help.
- Transfer of Software to sister company 37 1
- Your comments please 146 4
- CGT history of shares 103 2
- So who has completed a 2015 tax return then? 661 14
- Should a non trustee sign Scottish charity accounts? 182 1
- Ordering same-day transactions 86 2
- As a soletrader taxi service, would purchasing low emissions taxi-cars qualify for AIA capital allowance? 178 2
- VAT on Royal Mail Parcel Services 52 1
- Closing my business down 327 20
- Is there any good reading I can obtain to do self assesment on partnerships? 120 1
- Recording Calls 68 1
- Accounting for reversed transaction 72 1
- Scams are not always obvious 2,277 37
- Auto Enrolment - Director Only Answer 1,494 21
- What do you all do in your spare time? 917 36
- Charity requirements to report ALL I&E in accounts 73 1
- VAT flat rate scheme 164 2
- CIS Subcontractor Catch Twenty Two Position after 14 years 256 3
- How do we get US withholding tax back? 255 4
- VAT on long lease in comercial property that has opted to Tax 203 6
- Moving away from CCH software 959
- QROP pension input amounts 446
- write off loan or loan to equity swap or both 389
- HMRC BENCHMARK EXPENSES 368
- fraud 292
- EIS relief on transferring shares to spouse 265
- Sole trade business in UK, but the owner works from EU 234
- Construction CIS LLP Company 218
- EPS and CIS deductions 210
- Out of time or not? 193