Interesting tribunal decision on film partnerships
Two film partnerships recently came unstuck at a joint hearing, where the first tier tribunal decided that they were not undertaken on a commercial basis, so the partners were not entitled to sideways loss relief.
The case in question revolved around appeals by Samarkand Film Partnership No 3 and Proteus Film Partnership No 1 against HMRC’s treatment of their claimed losses. Both partnerships used the services of Future Film Capital Partners Ltd and bought or leased negatives of films including ‘The Queen’ and ‘Oliver Twist’.
In an enlightening, but complex write-up in its tax update this week, Smith & Williamson explained that while the accounting results of the film projects showed an accounting profit, the tribunal considered the net present value of the arrangements to be insufficient to demonstrate a commercial activity was undertaken.
We’re working on a more detailed explanation, but thought that AccountingWEB members might be able to help with our analysis. First - does anyone still get involved with film partnership schemes?
My impression was that the sheen has been wearing off this area and that where the provisions haven’t been tightened up, HMRC has been energetically launching investigations into film partnership loss claims. I’m still looking for the relevant legislation and guidance, if anyone is able to help.
- How to convert a pdf file to.. 499 9
- Incapable of reading 198 2
- Using VT Transactions + for first time .. struggling with flat rate VAT 182 3
- How much to charge 280 4
- How to pay national insurance 228 8
- How do I create a tax journal from my corporation tax return? 233 4
- Government Gateway 1,008 16
- P11DX: change of requirement by HMRC 1,583 11
- Form 17 - legal ownership requirements 216 6
- Project Manager Consultant with Profit Share 104 1
- Related party - Transaction with sole director’s father 125 2
- P11D Rejection 389 9
- How to avoid a bankruptcy 555 14
- Selling a practice 380 5
- KPMG email campaign and impact on market 1,295 20
- Overlap relief 475 12
- Live Chat on Accountancy Website 171 1
- Dormant payroll 851 9
- Can I get around an ostrich director? 196 1
- "Can your client afford the following" 1,375 21
- Theatre Tax Relief 447
- Has anyone been affected by the RBS payment breakdown? 349
- Windows 10 on-going support ... 343
- Straight line write off of Purchase Goodwill ??? 314
- Perkbox 280
- Self Assessment - What to enter on the return 251
- FRS 102 compliant illustrative accounts for an insurance company 246
- Compensation - Taxable or not then CGT or IT 244
- Document Management Systems 219
- WIP Software 209