Interesting tribunal decision on film partnerships
Two film partnerships recently came unstuck at a joint hearing, where the first tier tribunal decided that they were not undertaken on a commercial basis, so the partners were not entitled to sideways loss relief.
The case in question revolved around appeals by Samarkand Film Partnership No 3 and Proteus Film Partnership No 1 against HMRC’s treatment of their claimed losses. Both partnerships used the services of Future Film Capital Partners Ltd and bought or leased negatives of films including ‘The Queen’ and ‘Oliver Twist’.
In an enlightening, but complex write-up in its tax update this week, Smith & Williamson explained that while the accounting results of the film projects showed an accounting profit, the tribunal considered the net present value of the arrangements to be insufficient to demonstrate a commercial activity was undertaken.
We’re working on a more detailed explanation, but thought that AccountingWEB members might be able to help with our analysis. First - does anyone still get involved with film partnership schemes?
My impression was that the sheen has been wearing off this area and that where the provisions haven’t been tightened up, HMRC has been energetically launching investigations into film partnership loss claims. I’m still looking for the relevant legislation and guidance, if anyone is able to help.
- New Practice - Accounting Software 3,118 85
- Where can I get the information for this 371 7
- BrightPay 368 9
- If a company made large profits in 2009, is there a time limit for later losses to be set off against those profits to recover tax? 207 3
- CGT &LLP 81 2
- Am I at risk as an appointed Agent? 544 4
- Setting up an offshore company 111 1
- SDLT on Land Transfer to Connected Company and Averaging Relief 185 16
- Secure document exchange 136 3
- Question for FreeAgent users 162 4
- Any way of declaring a variable dividend? 393 7
- break even point 178 5
- Charity recouping VAT via a separate company 115 3
- Fax to email providers 327 11
- Payroll software 255 11
- Ghost messages from HMRC...... 144 1
- Amending supplier account code in Sage 50 143 4
- How to issue shares to investors 99 1
- Expense management software 632 12
- Tax code 162 1