Interesting tribunal decision on film partnerships
Two film partnerships recently came unstuck at a joint hearing, where the first tier tribunal decided that they were not undertaken on a commercial basis, so the partners were not entitled to sideways loss relief.
The case in question revolved around appeals by Samarkand Film Partnership No 3 and Proteus Film Partnership No 1 against HMRC’s treatment of their claimed losses. Both partnerships used the services of Future Film Capital Partners Ltd and bought or leased negatives of films including ‘The Queen’ and ‘Oliver Twist’.
In an enlightening, but complex write-up in its tax update this week, Smith & Williamson explained that while the accounting results of the film projects showed an accounting profit, the tribunal considered the net present value of the arrangements to be insufficient to demonstrate a commercial activity was undertaken.
We’re working on a more detailed explanation, but thought that AccountingWEB members might be able to help with our analysis. First - does anyone still get involved with film partnership schemes?
My impression was that the sheen has been wearing off this area and that where the provisions haven’t been tightened up, HMRC has been energetically launching investigations into film partnership loss claims. I’m still looking for the relevant legislation and guidance, if anyone is able to help.
- Where can I report and accountant for defraud 185 5
- Where has Portia gone? 3,549 93
- RTI Payroll ID 722 20
- Overlap profit 71 1
- Sole trader paying Class 1 NIC 83 1
- What are other accountants having for lunch? 252 7
- Stock of photos to capatilise 295 14
- Spousal transfer and PPR 778 34
- Rogue Accountant 3,572 57
- Assigning loan from Company to adult children 91 2
- Practice management software 1,107 21
- micro entity balance sheet query 141 4
- Associated disposals - Entrepreneur's relief 338 19
- Inheritance Tax - Gifts UK 156 1
- VAT on a private sale? 180 5
- Overseas business trip - accompanied by family 248 3
- Tax refunds for 2014/15 1,240 24
- Payroll software 200 7
- Entrepreneurs Relief Shares Received as Part of Divorce Settlement 88 1
- Thoughts on revenue recognition 606 19
- Services via intermediaries and new HMRC reporting requirements 819
- Pensions Regulator 462
- How hard is it to reduce a code? 425
- Sanzar 325
- How do you do it 315
- Digital marketing focus group 307
- Kashflow balance sheet difference 279
- new investor structure 187
- Bed & Breakfast trade via Limited Company 186
- Fit for purpose 181