Interesting tribunal decision on film partnerships
Two film partnerships recently came unstuck at a joint hearing, where the first tier tribunal decided that they were not undertaken on a commercial basis, so the partners were not entitled to sideways loss relief.
The case in question revolved around appeals by Samarkand Film Partnership No 3 and Proteus Film Partnership No 1 against HMRC’s treatment of their claimed losses. Both partnerships used the services of Future Film Capital Partners Ltd and bought or leased negatives of films including ‘The Queen’ and ‘Oliver Twist’.
In an enlightening, but complex write-up in its tax update this week, Smith & Williamson explained that while the accounting results of the film projects showed an accounting profit, the tribunal considered the net present value of the arrangements to be insufficient to demonstrate a commercial activity was undertaken.
We’re working on a more detailed explanation, but thought that AccountingWEB members might be able to help with our analysis. First - does anyone still get involved with film partnership schemes?
My impression was that the sheen has been wearing off this area and that where the provisions haven’t been tightened up, HMRC has been energetically launching investigations into film partnership loss claims. I’m still looking for the relevant legislation and guidance, if anyone is able to help.
- Capital Allowances on Furnished Holiday Lets Business 188 4
- SA302 281 6
- Suppliers for Online Card Payments? 237 4
- Go Cardless 329 9
- How to prove income for a mortgage if you have no SA302s 217 3
- Hmrc software 226 3
- Mehjoo 266 1
- What expenses can be claimed after a move to Cornwall? 112 1
- Hosted email exchange 173 5
- South African Government Pension 180 1
- Amazon Fees, Sage VAT/Tax code T20? 166 3
- Can anybody help withe the RTI end of year process? 289 4
- VAT Bad Debt Relief 309 13
- How long are you on hold- IRIS Payroll 245 7
- Childcare vouchers and final month payroll Qs 149 3
- Stopping trading and de-registering for VAT 288 7
- New Email Extensions 201 1
- Are HMRC cutting out Agents in tax investigations? 319 2
- Dental practice incorpration 156 1
- Audit rules 184 4
- Xtuple 510
- Qtac payroll for bureau 349
- Confused - Professional Association a Mutual trader, or not? 293
- Industrial & Provident Societies 284
- Data transfer from Sage Line 50 to VT Transaction+ 227
- VAT Payable on Expenses for Non-VAT Registered Ltd Co 181
- Why would HMRC offer to close an investigation by contract settlement 178
- Domain name sale and limited company 172
- CIS schemes 163
- Director legal fees in loose connection to the company 147