Interesting tribunal decision on film partnerships
Two film partnerships recently came unstuck at a joint hearing, where the first tier tribunal decided that they were not undertaken on a commercial basis, so the partners were not entitled to sideways loss relief.
The case in question revolved around appeals by Samarkand Film Partnership No 3 and Proteus Film Partnership No 1 against HMRC’s treatment of their claimed losses. Both partnerships used the services of Future Film Capital Partners Ltd and bought or leased negatives of films including ‘The Queen’ and ‘Oliver Twist’.
In an enlightening, but complex write-up in its tax update this week, Smith & Williamson explained that while the accounting results of the film projects showed an accounting profit, the tribunal considered the net present value of the arrangements to be insufficient to demonstrate a commercial activity was undertaken.
We’re working on a more detailed explanation, but thought that AccountingWEB members might be able to help with our analysis. First - does anyone still get involved with film partnership schemes?
My impression was that the sheen has been wearing off this area and that where the provisions haven’t been tightened up, HMRC has been energetically launching investigations into film partnership loss claims. I’m still looking for the relevant legislation and guidance, if anyone is able to help.
- Has HMRC got powers to do this? 41 1
- New Client in dispute with old accountant 475 10
- Declined for business bank account 257 6
- Any Scottish members out there? 7,636 284
- Help with Mortgage Application? 487 7
- planning to be self employed bookkeeper what do i need to do before i start? 192 3
- Disclosure of pending convertible loan notes? 214 10
- Standard 'email' template system 883 14
- Shutting down a company with creditors 1,030 14
- How to complete annual VAT return online? 222 4
- Irish VAT Deferred payment 97 1
- Circular shareholding 241 6
- Starting as sole trader from abroad 196 6
- business card address 315 8
- VAT relief eligibilty for charity buying minibus 214 2
- Loan to a related company 114 1
- Artificially reducing profits by bonus accrual 668 26
- Repairs after a rental business ends 340 10
- Can anyone recommend a good document scanner? 280 8
- property rental income split 143 1
- Raiders of the Lost Tax File 1,116
- Chartered Accountant in County Down N.Ireland 368
- IPP (International Pension Plan) income 300
- National Insurance 269
- valuation of intangible asset FRS10 and FRS20 240
- Payments on account coded out?? 230
- Cass 5 FCA Client Money Software recomendation 224
- Non Resident 189
- Unnecessary S9A Enquiries 185
- Franchise income and costs 180