Interesting tribunal decision on film partnerships
Two film partnerships recently came unstuck at a joint hearing, where the first tier tribunal decided that they were not undertaken on a commercial basis, so the partners were not entitled to sideways loss relief.
The case in question revolved around appeals by Samarkand Film Partnership No 3 and Proteus Film Partnership No 1 against HMRC’s treatment of their claimed losses. Both partnerships used the services of Future Film Capital Partners Ltd and bought or leased negatives of films including ‘The Queen’ and ‘Oliver Twist’.
In an enlightening, but complex write-up in its tax update this week, Smith & Williamson explained that while the accounting results of the film projects showed an accounting profit, the tribunal considered the net present value of the arrangements to be insufficient to demonstrate a commercial activity was undertaken.
We’re working on a more detailed explanation, but thought that AccountingWEB members might be able to help with our analysis. First - does anyone still get involved with film partnership schemes?
My impression was that the sheen has been wearing off this area and that where the provisions haven’t been tightened up, HMRC has been energetically launching investigations into film partnership loss claims. I’m still looking for the relevant legislation and guidance, if anyone is able to help.
- can a CGT transfer be legally cancelled in the future if 349 11
- Benefit fraud 3,274 46
- Anybody taken part in the Growth Voucher Scheme? 226 7
- FILING COMPANY ACCOUNTS 292 10
- Should I continue with the ACA? 256 6
- Dispensing with accounting periods, with nested ledgers. 88 1
- Intangble Assets 86 1
- Foreign Premium Distributions 193 4
- Companies House 651 5
- Who would you nominate for a Practice Excellence Award? 274 4
- How to deal with a prior year CT adjustment 301 11
- How much did you pay for your website 1,001 20
- RTI Penalties 155 1
- How to delete of a password protected company? 107 2
- Which company is best for online new company formation? 190 5
- FRS percentage 117 2
- Subsidiary exemption from audit via parent guarantee 96 1
- Can I use the approved mileage rates in a Limited Company? 260 5
- Gross Profit Percentage 566 11
- Companies House 479 8
- CTA study material 632
- Anyone have clients that use Pay4Later to offer customers credit? 384
- Employment related securities question 235
- ATED Penalties 207
- Foreign Business setting up in UK 205
- AIM Stocks and IHT 184
- Tax Relief for overseas employees 151
- Expat pension contributions? 141
- Trust for Employee 135
- Staff accommodation without a rental value or RV 127