Interesting tribunal decision on film partnerships
Two film partnerships recently came unstuck at a joint hearing, where the first tier tribunal decided that they were not undertaken on a commercial basis, so the partners were not entitled to sideways loss relief.
The case in question revolved around appeals by Samarkand Film Partnership No 3 and Proteus Film Partnership No 1 against HMRC’s treatment of their claimed losses. Both partnerships used the services of Future Film Capital Partners Ltd and bought or leased negatives of films including ‘The Queen’ and ‘Oliver Twist’.
In an enlightening, but complex write-up in its tax update this week, Smith & Williamson explained that while the accounting results of the film projects showed an accounting profit, the tribunal considered the net present value of the arrangements to be insufficient to demonstrate a commercial activity was undertaken.
We’re working on a more detailed explanation, but thought that AccountingWEB members might be able to help with our analysis. First - does anyone still get involved with film partnership schemes?
My impression was that the sheen has been wearing off this area and that where the provisions haven’t been tightened up, HMRC has been energetically launching investigations into film partnership loss claims. I’m still looking for the relevant legislation and guidance, if anyone is able to help.
- Need help with How much or do I charge to much 205 4
- Allowable expenses on retal property 159 2
- Identity Checks 98 1
- Mandatory Capitalisation 127 2
- Running Sage on a Mac 117 1
- Why are so many UK accountants reticent to make use of Indian outsourcing providers? 4,322 94
- HMRC CT600 TOOL 286 5
- Cash bashed (FRS) vs cash accounting (standard VAT)? 137 2
- notarising & legalising documents 183 4
- question 442 4
- Am I the only one who finds this annoying 416 11
- Income prior to company formation 222 8
- VAT on farm machinery sold 142 2
- Seeking advice: Tax on investing in a subsidiary 161 6
- Property pages or self-employed? 170 2
- Any thoughts on Capium? 427 3
- When to register or not for PAYE 466 8
- Can criminal action be a defence? 219 5
- How best to split income on a Buy To Let - married. How do you decide beneficial ownership 1,420 14
- National Living Wage: creating jobs or unemployment? 320 6
- RTI Rollback to delete incorrect data 401
- Motor Traders Assistant Bookkeeping Programme queries 290
- Tracesmart/Lexis Nexis AML software? Any opinions? 262
- Continuity of practice-ACCA 260
- French ConnectionUK 205
- Fundraising for friend - minimise tax? 193
- Recommended International mobile phone coverage and costs? 187
- Can anyone explain Indian Minimum Alternate Tax 183
- APN's 175
- Penalties for late filing of P11D forms 150