Introduction / sales commission paid 2 years after employment
In 2009 Consultant A, a UK resident and tax payer, working on a freelance basis under an "umbrella company" which paid PAYE out of contract income, signs a contract to introduce Company B to Company C. If the result of said introduction produces any revenue for Company B then Consultant A is paid 2.5% commission from the year 1 revenues arising and 1.25% in year 2. Company B is based in Bulgaria and will pay the commission in Euros (being the currency of contract with Company C).
In 2011 Company C finally enters into a commercial relationship with Company B thus triggering Consultant A's entitlement to payments out of 20,000 Euros per month of revenue. These are to be paid as Company B receives revenue from Company C. Consultant A elects to take this payment quarterly to minimise bank charges on payments on relatively small amounts.
Since 2010 Consultant A resigned their freelancing work under the Umbrella Company and became a full time employee of a different unrelated business. Special terms were negotiated with the new employer to allow continuation of the terms of the contract with Company B - normal employment terms forbid any commercial relationships with other companies. Ex Consultant A is a higher rate tax payer, any additional income is likely to push total taxable earnings above £100,000 per annum.
Ex Consultant A is now ready to receive commission payments and must raise invoices to trigger payments which will be quarterly until end of 2013. The question is how should ex consultant A treat the income for Self Assessment purposes and also for National Insurance?
Given the tax situation it might seem efficient to put the income into a pension policy, however as ex Consultant A has credit card debts of £47,000 their preference is to repay the debts as much as possible.
Many thanks for any advice!
- How to claim subsistence for working away from home 223 5
- Capital Event? 17 1
- Withdrawing company car 142 2
- What is IRIS World like? 435 11
- Clearbooks - creating a HP Account 118 4
- The stupidity continues 1,545 74
- looking for a practice consultant 230 3
- RE assets introduced and rent 117 2
- Two trades one individual - Vat registration? 336 3
- AML report needed? 210 7
- Bank request To verify Accounts 278 6
- transactions after account have been closed 332 10
- VAT on work on residential premises (empty for 2 years prior) 112 1
- Land Rover Discovery 3.0 SDV6 255 Comm Auto 2 seat 405 9
- Marketing and email surprises 469 9
- If you've had any issues posting: Please read this 777 26
- Limited company director - other earnings in the tax year 339 5
- Mlom bollocks 304 4
- VT Transactions Stock Issues 128 2
- Non-Europe based but want to do UK taxes 164 1
- Has anyone been affected by the RBS payment breakdown? 449
- Straight line write off of Purchase Goodwill ??? 448
- WIP Software 310
- FRS 102 compliant illustrative accounts for an insurance company 296
- No payroll scheme in place 247
- CGT, PPR and transfer of equity to spouse. 245
- Do subcontractors on work for residential (student accomodation) construction 220
- Is there anything wrong with this? 215
- Small Part Disposal of Property 205
- Uncommercial property business 194