Introduction / sales commission paid 2 years after employment
In 2009 Consultant A, a UK resident and tax payer, working on a freelance basis under an "umbrella company" which paid PAYE out of contract income, signs a contract to introduce Company B to Company C. If the result of said introduction produces any revenue for Company B then Consultant A is paid 2.5% commission from the year 1 revenues arising and 1.25% in year 2. Company B is based in Bulgaria and will pay the commission in Euros (being the currency of contract with Company C).
In 2011 Company C finally enters into a commercial relationship with Company B thus triggering Consultant A's entitlement to payments out of 20,000 Euros per month of revenue. These are to be paid as Company B receives revenue from Company C. Consultant A elects to take this payment quarterly to minimise bank charges on payments on relatively small amounts.
Since 2010 Consultant A resigned their freelancing work under the Umbrella Company and became a full time employee of a different unrelated business. Special terms were negotiated with the new employer to allow continuation of the terms of the contract with Company B - normal employment terms forbid any commercial relationships with other companies. Ex Consultant A is a higher rate tax payer, any additional income is likely to push total taxable earnings above £100,000 per annum.
Ex Consultant A is now ready to receive commission payments and must raise invoices to trigger payments which will be quarterly until end of 2013. The question is how should ex consultant A treat the income for Self Assessment purposes and also for National Insurance?
Given the tax situation it might seem efficient to put the income into a pension policy, however as ex Consultant A has credit card debts of £47,000 their preference is to repay the debts as much as possible.
Many thanks for any advice!
- Sole Trader business 138 1
- Transfer of sole trade to ltd co 140 1
- How will the taxation of non-residents landlord work? 135 1
- The Cotter Case 153 1
- Giving a seminar 671 36
- Tax position on lease extension 172 1
- Boffin of the Year 280 10
- deleting customers on Sage 50 213 8
- Using Director's bank account to receive payment from customer 230 4
- Sage Depreciation 71 1
- Non sequitur 238 2
- Am i Liable? 864 21
- Sale of business being paid by deferred payments by buyer 166 1
- tax relief for the cost of trade marks 153 1
- Interest on main residence mortgage then lent to a company 69 1
- Has anyone been told of the extra Sage Payroll fees for auto enrolment? 469 10
- HMRC Accounts Office - waiting an hour! 99 1
- Very Difficult to type on Aweb again 108 2
- Fee agreed but client disagrees on amount 923 15
- What leverage do I have with accountants if any? 379 3
- Desperately seeking Susan, Sam or anyone with any other name 1,291
- Experience with Islamic investor following Sharia-compliant rules? 637
- Darwinpay Partnership Assessment 420
- S464A Charge to tax: conferring benefit & BIK 330
- Quirky thread of the year: Community Awards 255
- Alphabet shares 218
- Agent fees to sell business 210
- ACCA continuity of practice arrangement needed 205
- Office recharges 168
- How to reclaim VAT for a non-EC UK visitor 145