Introduction / sales commission paid 2 years after employment
In 2009 Consultant A, a UK resident and tax payer, working on a freelance basis under an "umbrella company" which paid PAYE out of contract income, signs a contract to introduce Company B to Company C. If the result of said introduction produces any revenue for Company B then Consultant A is paid 2.5% commission from the year 1 revenues arising and 1.25% in year 2. Company B is based in Bulgaria and will pay the commission in Euros (being the currency of contract with Company C).
In 2011 Company C finally enters into a commercial relationship with Company B thus triggering Consultant A's entitlement to payments out of 20,000 Euros per month of revenue. These are to be paid as Company B receives revenue from Company C. Consultant A elects to take this payment quarterly to minimise bank charges on payments on relatively small amounts.
Since 2010 Consultant A resigned their freelancing work under the Umbrella Company and became a full time employee of a different unrelated business. Special terms were negotiated with the new employer to allow continuation of the terms of the contract with Company B - normal employment terms forbid any commercial relationships with other companies. Ex Consultant A is a higher rate tax payer, any additional income is likely to push total taxable earnings above £100,000 per annum.
Ex Consultant A is now ready to receive commission payments and must raise invoices to trigger payments which will be quarterly until end of 2013. The question is how should ex consultant A treat the income for Self Assessment purposes and also for National Insurance?
Given the tax situation it might seem efficient to put the income into a pension policy, however as ex Consultant A has credit card debts of £47,000 their preference is to repay the debts as much as possible.
Many thanks for any advice!
- Company Director In Prison 425 11
- SMP reclaimable by employer 36 1
- AWeb - download file 151 3
- Charity work 225 11
- Help with HMRC investigation 221 6
- Director Drawings 129 5
- Accounts Software 83 3
- Do I need to report this to SOCA 3,672 38
- Subcontractor and CIS Deductions made by Contractor 253 13
- Managing Employee Expenses 216 7
- HMRC Agents Line 175 3
- Collection or business assets 94 1
- Incorporated when they should not have 259 8
- Tax position re this lease? 366 9
- Do I need a smartphone? 716 23
- Is compensation for surrender of a lease subject to VAT 99 2
- Can I take action against my accountant for incompetence? 3,668 70
- IHT 205 partnership and business interests 87 2
- Reasonable excuse for not filing returns....Death? 345 5
- pension paid by company? 332 8
- Property exchange - 8-year legal delay following fall-out 673
- Have you staged yet for auto enrolment? 513
- Cancelled 427
- Cancelled 365
- SAGE Payroll Data for Import to MS Dynamics AX 362
- Probiz 335
- Free-standing washing machine - unfurnished lettings 327
- Phishing emails purporting to be from CIPFA? 243
- Is this UK incapacity benefit taxable in UK or Jersey? 215
- Another HMRC computer glitch? 202