Introduction / sales commission paid 2 years after employment
In 2009 Consultant A, a UK resident and tax payer, working on a freelance basis under an "umbrella company" which paid PAYE out of contract income, signs a contract to introduce Company B to Company C. If the result of said introduction produces any revenue for Company B then Consultant A is paid 2.5% commission from the year 1 revenues arising and 1.25% in year 2. Company B is based in Bulgaria and will pay the commission in Euros (being the currency of contract with Company C).
In 2011 Company C finally enters into a commercial relationship with Company B thus triggering Consultant A's entitlement to payments out of 20,000 Euros per month of revenue. These are to be paid as Company B receives revenue from Company C. Consultant A elects to take this payment quarterly to minimise bank charges on payments on relatively small amounts.
Since 2010 Consultant A resigned their freelancing work under the Umbrella Company and became a full time employee of a different unrelated business. Special terms were negotiated with the new employer to allow continuation of the terms of the contract with Company B - normal employment terms forbid any commercial relationships with other companies. Ex Consultant A is a higher rate tax payer, any additional income is likely to push total taxable earnings above £100,000 per annum.
Ex Consultant A is now ready to receive commission payments and must raise invoices to trigger payments which will be quarterly until end of 2013. The question is how should ex consultant A treat the income for Self Assessment purposes and also for National Insurance?
Given the tax situation it might seem efficient to put the income into a pension policy, however as ex Consultant A has credit card debts of £47,000 their preference is to repay the debts as much as possible.
Many thanks for any advice!
- Paint Manufacturer Flat Rate Scheme 307 14
- Deduction from net or gross pay? 130 3
- Check my logic on this please? 213 1
- VAT Margin Scheme for Second Hand Watches 58 2
- VAT reports on trade debtors and trade creditors 217 6
- Share swap 395 13
- Late P45 193 5
- Know it alls (who don't) 524 13
- How to account fot Cross-border vat. 164 3
- Company overdue but wants to be struck off 422 13
- CIC accounts submission 87 3
- A change from the old Q v NQ debate 591 20
- Cleaners wages at small church -PAYE or self employed ? 436 9
- Associated companies - CT small profits relief 263 11
- Limited Company - Personal Bank Account 2,500 44
- What does it mean?? 479 12
- Should I pass on my HMRC login 1,121 13
- RTI error - two of the same employer - what to do 239 4
- VAT & Landlords 220 6
- Make an adjustment to profits chargeable to class 4 nic 116 2
- Skandia using wrong address 1,564
- Nil Rate Band Trust - index linked debt by way of charge over property 863
- International interest certificate 475
- NOVA 332
- Subby expenses subject to tax & NI? 247
- Can Limited Company Buy Share of Rental Property? 240
- Management expenses for investment company 223
- Bonus Bonds 216
- Have we escaped Gift with Reservation of Benfit & Pre-owned asset charges? - Gift after benefit 206
- Help with tax codes on Sage 161