Introduction / sales commission paid 2 years after employment
In 2009 Consultant A, a UK resident and tax payer, working on a freelance basis under an "umbrella company" which paid PAYE out of contract income, signs a contract to introduce Company B to Company C. If the result of said introduction produces any revenue for Company B then Consultant A is paid 2.5% commission from the year 1 revenues arising and 1.25% in year 2. Company B is based in Bulgaria and will pay the commission in Euros (being the currency of contract with Company C).
In 2011 Company C finally enters into a commercial relationship with Company B thus triggering Consultant A's entitlement to payments out of 20,000 Euros per month of revenue. These are to be paid as Company B receives revenue from Company C. Consultant A elects to take this payment quarterly to minimise bank charges on payments on relatively small amounts.
Since 2010 Consultant A resigned their freelancing work under the Umbrella Company and became a full time employee of a different unrelated business. Special terms were negotiated with the new employer to allow continuation of the terms of the contract with Company B - normal employment terms forbid any commercial relationships with other companies. Ex Consultant A is a higher rate tax payer, any additional income is likely to push total taxable earnings above £100,000 per annum.
Ex Consultant A is now ready to receive commission payments and must raise invoices to trigger payments which will be quarterly until end of 2013. The question is how should ex consultant A treat the income for Self Assessment purposes and also for National Insurance?
Given the tax situation it might seem efficient to put the income into a pension policy, however as ex Consultant A has credit card debts of £47,000 their preference is to repay the debts as much as possible.
Many thanks for any advice!
- OBK 410 17
- cost of moving out for a few weeks 97 3
- Flat Rate Scheme - Joining date 63 1
- Auto-Enrolment 3,652 175
- NIC thresholds - two employments 1,723 26
- Sage error message 133 2
- VAT on imports and the Flat Rate Scheme for VAT 70 1
- Partially exempt? 149 5
- Twenty signs your practice is bad at tax 475 5
- Withholding Tax - Invoicing Ecuador 136 3
- Mileage claim 219 9
- Proof of Delivery 235 8
- What is 'an asset' for A/A+B CGT? 94 4
- Best way to take money from a business if you have unlimited EIS allowances? 523 1
- Difference of Sales Invoices and Bank receipts for Sales 340 8
- VAT on converted property having opted to tax 229 9
- Property expense - legal fees 155 3
- Research expenses for authors 277 6
- Investor exit 83 1
- Tax question about small group and how to set up 133 3
- Skandia using wrong address 460
- Does anyone use PS Financials accounting software out there? 268
- Employee rewards 248
- FHL, period of grace and Entrepreneur's relief 247
- Legislation access for part-time sole practitioner? 215
- EPS Analysis - Change to EURO 205
- Rental Property W&T And Equipment 201
- Gift of reversion and lease into trust by two different people - later PPR 187
- Etax Australian 160
- Annual Management Charge Rebates and Self Assessment Tax Return 148