Introduction / sales commission paid 2 years after employment
In 2009 Consultant A, a UK resident and tax payer, working on a freelance basis under an "umbrella company" which paid PAYE out of contract income, signs a contract to introduce Company B to Company C. If the result of said introduction produces any revenue for Company B then Consultant A is paid 2.5% commission from the year 1 revenues arising and 1.25% in year 2. Company B is based in Bulgaria and will pay the commission in Euros (being the currency of contract with Company C).
In 2011 Company C finally enters into a commercial relationship with Company B thus triggering Consultant A's entitlement to payments out of 20,000 Euros per month of revenue. These are to be paid as Company B receives revenue from Company C. Consultant A elects to take this payment quarterly to minimise bank charges on payments on relatively small amounts.
Since 2010 Consultant A resigned their freelancing work under the Umbrella Company and became a full time employee of a different unrelated business. Special terms were negotiated with the new employer to allow continuation of the terms of the contract with Company B - normal employment terms forbid any commercial relationships with other companies. Ex Consultant A is a higher rate tax payer, any additional income is likely to push total taxable earnings above £100,000 per annum.
Ex Consultant A is now ready to receive commission payments and must raise invoices to trigger payments which will be quarterly until end of 2013. The question is how should ex consultant A treat the income for Self Assessment purposes and also for National Insurance?
Given the tax situation it might seem efficient to put the income into a pension policy, however as ex Consultant A has credit card debts of £47,000 their preference is to repay the debts as much as possible.
Many thanks for any advice!
- Tax relief when working away 116 3
- Capital allowances on transfer of business 232 9
- Money laundering and can accountants be sued by clients if they make a report 1,294 20
- Designated sole Residence 218 5
- A little knowledge 219 5
- Scratch Head 321 1
- Year end 248 2
- US/UK Dual Citizenship 313 13
- Clothing 622 19
- Investment properties/freehold land 148 6
- Parent and subsidiary... 178 5
- Identity check problem 1,507 14
- No tax returns for 6 year 181 1
- Capital allowances on Software 231 2
- Trading Losses - 3 Year Carry Back 123 3
- Company director and KIT days 130 1
- client can't/won't pay 2,193 50
- Anybody still doing returns? 893 34
- Digita in the cloud 89 1
- Change to PAYE TAX CODE 252 7
- Form MR01 (Particulars of a charge) - does this need to be filed if you remortgage with the same lender? 960
- Underpaid VAT assessment and relation to SATR 684
- Did you realise Google will not patch android exploit ... 631
- Latest phishing scam 608
- Cashback for opening business bank acct = trading income? 446
- Auto Enrolment Questions Answered 331
- Loan benefit after person ceases as director/employee 262
- Sabbatical payments 222
- Still Christmas at HMRC? 206
- Negligible Value Claim 202