Introduction / sales commission paid 2 years after employment
In 2009 Consultant A, a UK resident and tax payer, working on a freelance basis under an "umbrella company" which paid PAYE out of contract income, signs a contract to introduce Company B to Company C. If the result of said introduction produces any revenue for Company B then Consultant A is paid 2.5% commission from the year 1 revenues arising and 1.25% in year 2. Company B is based in Bulgaria and will pay the commission in Euros (being the currency of contract with Company C).
In 2011 Company C finally enters into a commercial relationship with Company B thus triggering Consultant A's entitlement to payments out of 20,000 Euros per month of revenue. These are to be paid as Company B receives revenue from Company C. Consultant A elects to take this payment quarterly to minimise bank charges on payments on relatively small amounts.
Since 2010 Consultant A resigned their freelancing work under the Umbrella Company and became a full time employee of a different unrelated business. Special terms were negotiated with the new employer to allow continuation of the terms of the contract with Company B - normal employment terms forbid any commercial relationships with other companies. Ex Consultant A is a higher rate tax payer, any additional income is likely to push total taxable earnings above £100,000 per annum.
Ex Consultant A is now ready to receive commission payments and must raise invoices to trigger payments which will be quarterly until end of 2013. The question is how should ex consultant A treat the income for Self Assessment purposes and also for National Insurance?
Given the tax situation it might seem efficient to put the income into a pension policy, however as ex Consultant A has credit card debts of £47,000 their preference is to repay the debts as much as possible.
Many thanks for any advice!
- Sage Drive Queue.dta file lock out 330 8
- Tax - Paying Yearly 156 8
- Entrepreneur's Relief Query 120 1
- When is commencing trading not commening trading 163 3
- Income tax: Interaction between new marriage allowance and new nil band on savings interest 176 1
- charities 206 3
- Anyone using PracticePA? 222 3
- How do I correct a previous accountants major mistake on PAYE/SA? 424 4
- How to find difference in Sage bank rec 273 6
- Auto enrollment. What's the basis for contribution ? 97 1
- Seeking advice: CGT after divorce when house sold and neither party was resident 173 2
- New company uses old Bank Account 213 2
- converting garage to use as office 280 2
- recommended auto-enrolment pension scheme providers 647 13
- HOW is anyone obtaining an EORI number prior to shipment? 124 2
- How best to split income on a Buy To Let - married. How do you decide beneficial ownership 1,182 11
- Strike off 434 9
- Contracting, Subcontracting and Agency Worker Regs 144 2
- auto enrolment 284 1
- Shortening an Accounting Reference Date 331 6
- RTI Rollback to delete incorrect data 376
- Any thoughts on Capium? 331
- Vouchedfor.co.uk 293
- Motor Traders Assistant Bookkeeping Programme queries 267
- Tracesmart/Lexis Nexis AML software? Any opinions? 252
- Continuity of practice-ACCA 229
- Recommended International mobile phone coverage and costs? 176
- French ConnectionUK 164
- Can anyone explain Indian Minimum Alternate Tax 158
- APN's 157