Introduction / sales commission paid 2 years after employment
In 2009 Consultant A, a UK resident and tax payer, working on a freelance basis under an "umbrella company" which paid PAYE out of contract income, signs a contract to introduce Company B to Company C. If the result of said introduction produces any revenue for Company B then Consultant A is paid 2.5% commission from the year 1 revenues arising and 1.25% in year 2. Company B is based in Bulgaria and will pay the commission in Euros (being the currency of contract with Company C).
In 2011 Company C finally enters into a commercial relationship with Company B thus triggering Consultant A's entitlement to payments out of 20,000 Euros per month of revenue. These are to be paid as Company B receives revenue from Company C. Consultant A elects to take this payment quarterly to minimise bank charges on payments on relatively small amounts.
Since 2010 Consultant A resigned their freelancing work under the Umbrella Company and became a full time employee of a different unrelated business. Special terms were negotiated with the new employer to allow continuation of the terms of the contract with Company B - normal employment terms forbid any commercial relationships with other companies. Ex Consultant A is a higher rate tax payer, any additional income is likely to push total taxable earnings above £100,000 per annum.
Ex Consultant A is now ready to receive commission payments and must raise invoices to trigger payments which will be quarterly until end of 2013. The question is how should ex consultant A treat the income for Self Assessment purposes and also for National Insurance?
Given the tax situation it might seem efficient to put the income into a pension policy, however as ex Consultant A has credit card debts of £47,000 their preference is to repay the debts as much as possible.
Many thanks for any advice!
- Self assessment tax arrears 292 3
- How can I tell what returns are outstanding on HMRC online? 193 2
- Mehjoo 318 2
- Tax Return Member LLP 80 1
- How to prove income for a mortgage if you have no SA302s 340 5
- Amazon Fees, Sage VAT/Tax code T20? 186 4
- SA302 320 7
- US Employment Income - Double Tax Treaty 286 13
- Bringing money to Uk 281 4
- Suppliers for Online Card Payments? 292 5
- Capital Allowances on Furnished Holiday Lets Business 208 4
- Go Cardless 355 9
- Hmrc software 245 3
- What expenses can be claimed after a move to Cornwall? 154 1
- Hosted email exchange 182 5
- South African Government Pension 183 1
- Can anybody help withe the RTI end of year process? 323 4
- VAT Bad Debt Relief 322 13
- How long are you on hold- IRIS Payroll 251 7
- Childcare vouchers and final month payroll Qs 159 3
- Xtuple 514
- Qtac payroll for bureau 354
- Confused - Professional Association a Mutual trader, or not? 297
- Industrial & Provident Societies 291
- Data transfer from Sage Line 50 to VT Transaction+ 232
- Why would HMRC offer to close an investigation by contract settlement 200
- VAT Payable on Expenses for Non-VAT Registered Ltd Co 199
- Domain name sale and limited company 176
- CIS schemes 175
- Director legal fees in loose connection to the company 150