Introduction / sales commission paid 2 years after employment
In 2009 Consultant A, a UK resident and tax payer, working on a freelance basis under an "umbrella company" which paid PAYE out of contract income, signs a contract to introduce Company B to Company C. If the result of said introduction produces any revenue for Company B then Consultant A is paid 2.5% commission from the year 1 revenues arising and 1.25% in year 2. Company B is based in Bulgaria and will pay the commission in Euros (being the currency of contract with Company C).
In 2011 Company C finally enters into a commercial relationship with Company B thus triggering Consultant A's entitlement to payments out of 20,000 Euros per month of revenue. These are to be paid as Company B receives revenue from Company C. Consultant A elects to take this payment quarterly to minimise bank charges on payments on relatively small amounts.
Since 2010 Consultant A resigned their freelancing work under the Umbrella Company and became a full time employee of a different unrelated business. Special terms were negotiated with the new employer to allow continuation of the terms of the contract with Company B - normal employment terms forbid any commercial relationships with other companies. Ex Consultant A is a higher rate tax payer, any additional income is likely to push total taxable earnings above £100,000 per annum.
Ex Consultant A is now ready to receive commission payments and must raise invoices to trigger payments which will be quarterly until end of 2013. The question is how should ex consultant A treat the income for Self Assessment purposes and also for National Insurance?
Given the tax situation it might seem efficient to put the income into a pension policy, however as ex Consultant A has credit card debts of £47,000 their preference is to repay the debts as much as possible.
Many thanks for any advice!
- Self employed and HMRC Worldwide Subsistence Rates 802 1
- Auto Enrolment - Help each other by sharing known problems 703 10
- HP agreement in Directors name but payments under company 458 10
- Real time 187 2
- Withdrawal of a quote 371 7
- Opt To Tax Refund 245 3
- Paid staff their normal salary instead of SMP 207 2
- Pay rise - how to enter in Moneysoft 199 5
- New (non resident) client not filed in 20 years 600 15
- When to top-up pensions? 157 2
- Support / ticketing software 326 11
- Are Tax Agents designed out of online systems? 323 3
- Imported goods and VAT 130 1
- Annual Return for company for whom director/shareholder has died 434 15
- Divorcing husband, both 50% owners of a Ltd business 589 11
- Stamp Duty 170 3
- Entrepreneur - want to submit accounts by myself 1,862 22
- Company Number 10000000 992 13
- Online accounting provider for multicompany with turnover £10m 366 5
- CGT on lost shares/scam 228 3
- Interest paid - do new rules affect Tax Credits? 469
- Market Invoice (P2P invoice discounting) tax treatment 287
- DTA tie-breaker issue 279
- CGT for NOn UK residents 242
- Tax Implicatins on a Directors Loan 219
- Apprenticeship Levy 216
- What are the tax implications of overseas sales through a UK based company? 209
- Just checking re PSA 195
- Capital Gains personal representatives 189
- Mandating Rental income or dividend income to a company 176