Introduction / sales commission paid 2 years after employment
In 2009 Consultant A, a UK resident and tax payer, working on a freelance basis under an "umbrella company" which paid PAYE out of contract income, signs a contract to introduce Company B to Company C. If the result of said introduction produces any revenue for Company B then Consultant A is paid 2.5% commission from the year 1 revenues arising and 1.25% in year 2. Company B is based in Bulgaria and will pay the commission in Euros (being the currency of contract with Company C).
In 2011 Company C finally enters into a commercial relationship with Company B thus triggering Consultant A's entitlement to payments out of 20,000 Euros per month of revenue. These are to be paid as Company B receives revenue from Company C. Consultant A elects to take this payment quarterly to minimise bank charges on payments on relatively small amounts.
Since 2010 Consultant A resigned their freelancing work under the Umbrella Company and became a full time employee of a different unrelated business. Special terms were negotiated with the new employer to allow continuation of the terms of the contract with Company B - normal employment terms forbid any commercial relationships with other companies. Ex Consultant A is a higher rate tax payer, any additional income is likely to push total taxable earnings above £100,000 per annum.
Ex Consultant A is now ready to receive commission payments and must raise invoices to trigger payments which will be quarterly until end of 2013. The question is how should ex consultant A treat the income for Self Assessment purposes and also for National Insurance?
Given the tax situation it might seem efficient to put the income into a pension policy, however as ex Consultant A has credit card debts of £47,000 their preference is to repay the debts as much as possible.
Many thanks for any advice!
- Auto enrolment 156 2
- starting a ltd company with intangible assets 104 3
- Registration as self-employed 157 2
- Clients have been told I'm working from home 1,049 15
- Corporation Tax Software 405 12
- VAT on commision and connected persons 88 1
- Partnership Tax Return £100 penalty-was a tax return due in this case? 673 18
- How to end partnership for HMRC 102 1
- First year's sole trader accounts and 2014/2015 tax return 158 1
- Electric Vehicle company car battery rental - how is it taxed? 112 4
- Regular Director bonus 453 11
- Careers advice - is it worth moving from an SME to a corporate? 153 1
- BrightPay 1,098 35
- HMRC Summons for £14k 543 7
- SA REFUND; DEFRAUDED BY UNKNOWN PARTY 366 5
- Footballers Testimonials Taxable? 1,125 17
- BIK for an electric car 171 2
- New Practice - Accounting Software 3,642 90
- How do I save face? 2,410 14
- Goodie bag 3,125 72
- Possible Partnership? 694
- Tax and accounting treatment on long lease granted from freehold 538
- Fuming! 519
- New Fangled Penalties 468
- Purchase of property freehold - capitalisation of costs 336
- Charity dissolution and newly merged charity 278
- Moving away from CCH software 267
- Lenovo – Superfish & Komodia – is your PC vulnerable 259
- Outsource Data Entry 259
- Do I need a US Tax Identification Number to complete W-8BEN-E? 208