Introduction / sales commission paid 2 years after employment
In 2009 Consultant A, a UK resident and tax payer, working on a freelance basis under an "umbrella company" which paid PAYE out of contract income, signs a contract to introduce Company B to Company C. If the result of said introduction produces any revenue for Company B then Consultant A is paid 2.5% commission from the year 1 revenues arising and 1.25% in year 2. Company B is based in Bulgaria and will pay the commission in Euros (being the currency of contract with Company C).
In 2011 Company C finally enters into a commercial relationship with Company B thus triggering Consultant A's entitlement to payments out of 20,000 Euros per month of revenue. These are to be paid as Company B receives revenue from Company C. Consultant A elects to take this payment quarterly to minimise bank charges on payments on relatively small amounts.
Since 2010 Consultant A resigned their freelancing work under the Umbrella Company and became a full time employee of a different unrelated business. Special terms were negotiated with the new employer to allow continuation of the terms of the contract with Company B - normal employment terms forbid any commercial relationships with other companies. Ex Consultant A is a higher rate tax payer, any additional income is likely to push total taxable earnings above £100,000 per annum.
Ex Consultant A is now ready to receive commission payments and must raise invoices to trigger payments which will be quarterly until end of 2013. The question is how should ex consultant A treat the income for Self Assessment purposes and also for National Insurance?
Given the tax situation it might seem efficient to put the income into a pension policy, however as ex Consultant A has credit card debts of £47,000 their preference is to repay the debts as much as possible.
Many thanks for any advice!
- What are my legal responsibilities 254 12
- Business lending another business money (UK) 45 1
- Rental business through company without owning the property? 321 4
- No more tax returns... 1,516 13
- How much state pension will client lose out if drops salary 407 6
- Signed accounts for bank 247 7
- Companies House paper incorporation - date of birth omission 468 10
- Landing clients 389 15
- Are any of you members of The Institute of Financial Accountants - Accountnats certificate 1,138 22
- Termination Payment 175 5
- dividend date - whose income is it? 185 3
- CRM / marketing 99 2
- Allocation of income from property 750 26
- Stand alone practice management software 1,868 28
- Opening a Quick books file 112 1
- 64-8 problems 513 8
- Guaranteed rents - which is the turnover? 345 10
- Payment on account reminders 236 3
- Intercompany Payroll Journals 107 3
- Hello 516 4