Introduction / sales commission paid 2 years after employment
In 2009 Consultant A, a UK resident and tax payer, working on a freelance basis under an "umbrella company" which paid PAYE out of contract income, signs a contract to introduce Company B to Company C. If the result of said introduction produces any revenue for Company B then Consultant A is paid 2.5% commission from the year 1 revenues arising and 1.25% in year 2. Company B is based in Bulgaria and will pay the commission in Euros (being the currency of contract with Company C).
In 2011 Company C finally enters into a commercial relationship with Company B thus triggering Consultant A's entitlement to payments out of 20,000 Euros per month of revenue. These are to be paid as Company B receives revenue from Company C. Consultant A elects to take this payment quarterly to minimise bank charges on payments on relatively small amounts.
Since 2010 Consultant A resigned their freelancing work under the Umbrella Company and became a full time employee of a different unrelated business. Special terms were negotiated with the new employer to allow continuation of the terms of the contract with Company B - normal employment terms forbid any commercial relationships with other companies. Ex Consultant A is a higher rate tax payer, any additional income is likely to push total taxable earnings above £100,000 per annum.
Ex Consultant A is now ready to receive commission payments and must raise invoices to trigger payments which will be quarterly until end of 2013. The question is how should ex consultant A treat the income for Self Assessment purposes and also for National Insurance?
Given the tax situation it might seem efficient to put the income into a pension policy, however as ex Consultant A has credit card debts of £47,000 their preference is to repay the debts as much as possible.
Many thanks for any advice!
- When to include value of import in Box 7 63 1
- employer pension contributions - OMB company 161 2
- Accounts production software license expiry & possible alternatives 304 7
- Capital gain? 77 3
- Are clients getting more stupid? 1,246 21
- Construction Industry Allowable expenses 268 8
- Recharge for private use of a company car 348 8
- How could I be identified for VAT purposes in UK? 414 8
- vat help for catering concession 275 10
- IHT dilemma 1,154 17
- Tax return software for remote working 234 3
- CGT 334 14
- Problems with Sage 50 Payroll v21(2015) pension module 321 1
- Interest paid to non-UK company - Deduction 110 2
- Compliance check 513 13
- sole trader accountant 789 14
- Entrepreneurs Relief 400 15
- Capital Allowances and Building Improvements 604 21
- More AE! 503 11
- How to classify an asset 164 3
- Auto enrolment excuses 1,079
- Feedback on accounts production software for IFRS 779
- Add T&Cs to Sales Order in Sage 463
- Digita Hosted Software 280
- Call Centre Data Costs 251
- Are any of you agents for doctors? 226
- Credit where credit's due....... 217
- Buying goods in US and selling them to company in US 206
- Married Couples Allowance wasted? 187
- Director phone costs 150