Introduction / sales commission paid 2 years after employment
In 2009 Consultant A, a UK resident and tax payer, working on a freelance basis under an "umbrella company" which paid PAYE out of contract income, signs a contract to introduce Company B to Company C. If the result of said introduction produces any revenue for Company B then Consultant A is paid 2.5% commission from the year 1 revenues arising and 1.25% in year 2. Company B is based in Bulgaria and will pay the commission in Euros (being the currency of contract with Company C).
In 2011 Company C finally enters into a commercial relationship with Company B thus triggering Consultant A's entitlement to payments out of 20,000 Euros per month of revenue. These are to be paid as Company B receives revenue from Company C. Consultant A elects to take this payment quarterly to minimise bank charges on payments on relatively small amounts.
Since 2010 Consultant A resigned their freelancing work under the Umbrella Company and became a full time employee of a different unrelated business. Special terms were negotiated with the new employer to allow continuation of the terms of the contract with Company B - normal employment terms forbid any commercial relationships with other companies. Ex Consultant A is a higher rate tax payer, any additional income is likely to push total taxable earnings above £100,000 per annum.
Ex Consultant A is now ready to receive commission payments and must raise invoices to trigger payments which will be quarterly until end of 2013. The question is how should ex consultant A treat the income for Self Assessment purposes and also for National Insurance?
Given the tax situation it might seem efficient to put the income into a pension policy, however as ex Consultant A has credit card debts of £47,000 their preference is to repay the debts as much as possible.
Many thanks for any advice!
- What would you do in this situation? 466 12
- Travel and Substinance expenses while abroad 116 3
- Help Required 261 6
- Self Employed Self Assessment: Capital Allowance and Car Lease/HP 214 2
- What quality paper do you use for correspondence? 379 14
- What's in a name ? 211 4
- not self employed since March 2011 now received a penalty for late tax return for year 2012-13 136 3
- ATED Penalties 253 1
- late second payment on account 144 2
- US royalties 70 2
- Project being run jointly 116 2
- Reclaiming overpaid employer NI contributions 171 2
- Straightforward email correspondence or PDF letter attached to blank email? 153 3
- Sole trader mix up 281 4
- Vat on 'pig slurry' - palatable subject I know! 728 6
- FILING COMPANY ACCOUNTS 885 27
- Staff accommodation without a rental value or RV 205 4
- Filing company accounts 131 1
- Accountancy work for Farmers 499 16
- CIC Tax - what is trading? 157 5
- CTA study material 696
- Anyone have clients that use Pay4Later to offer customers credit? 421
- Employment related securities question 263
- AIM Stocks and IHT 243
- Tax Relief for overseas employees 195
- Trust for Employee 182
- Expat pension contributions? 180
- Quickbooks losing VAT return data 151
- Raiders of the Lost Tax File 142
- IPP (International Pension Plan) income 114