Introduction / sales commission paid 2 years after employment
In 2009 Consultant A, a UK resident and tax payer, working on a freelance basis under an "umbrella company" which paid PAYE out of contract income, signs a contract to introduce Company B to Company C. If the result of said introduction produces any revenue for Company B then Consultant A is paid 2.5% commission from the year 1 revenues arising and 1.25% in year 2. Company B is based in Bulgaria and will pay the commission in Euros (being the currency of contract with Company C).
In 2011 Company C finally enters into a commercial relationship with Company B thus triggering Consultant A's entitlement to payments out of 20,000 Euros per month of revenue. These are to be paid as Company B receives revenue from Company C. Consultant A elects to take this payment quarterly to minimise bank charges on payments on relatively small amounts.
Since 2010 Consultant A resigned their freelancing work under the Umbrella Company and became a full time employee of a different unrelated business. Special terms were negotiated with the new employer to allow continuation of the terms of the contract with Company B - normal employment terms forbid any commercial relationships with other companies. Ex Consultant A is a higher rate tax payer, any additional income is likely to push total taxable earnings above £100,000 per annum.
Ex Consultant A is now ready to receive commission payments and must raise invoices to trigger payments which will be quarterly until end of 2013. The question is how should ex consultant A treat the income for Self Assessment purposes and also for National Insurance?
Given the tax situation it might seem efficient to put the income into a pension policy, however as ex Consultant A has credit card debts of £47,000 their preference is to repay the debts as much as possible.
Many thanks for any advice!
- Employee tears suit... 394 9
- Income £10k salary and £20k net dividends 516 17
- Pool vehicle with age restriction 185 5
- VAT within EC 201 6
- How to start accounting company? 136 2
- About your hairdresser clients 611 23
- dividends from a UK company when working overseas 97 1
- Deadline for appeal against late filing 216 4
- CIS reclaim for company without a payroll 120 1
- Keytime 409 5
- HMRC's "HVA" list .... High Volume Agents 801 11
- Nine-Page Engagement Letters 797 14
- VAT on entertaining - Gross amount on VAT return 117 1
- How does one compete? 732 9
- Great Service 1,297 17
- Ouch. Those penalties sting 2,662 29
- Income for self employed associate dentist? 151 1
- Redundancy for husband and wife ltd co 220 2
- Transferring Shares From Manx Co to Cayman Island Co 157 3
- Trust setting on HMRC CT600 150 4
- Sanzar 534
- Digital marketing focus group 417
- Are commercial mortgage cashbacks subject to Corporation Tax ? 390
- Sainsbury's mangement 385
- Continuity Agreement 357
- Avanti Accounts 357
- Buyback 309
- Aggresive sales from Iris 261
- Entrepreneurs' relief (ER) for EMI shares 258
- Charity volunteers and mileage 218