Introduction / sales commission paid 2 years after employment
In 2009 Consultant A, a UK resident and tax payer, working on a freelance basis under an "umbrella company" which paid PAYE out of contract income, signs a contract to introduce Company B to Company C. If the result of said introduction produces any revenue for Company B then Consultant A is paid 2.5% commission from the year 1 revenues arising and 1.25% in year 2. Company B is based in Bulgaria and will pay the commission in Euros (being the currency of contract with Company C).
In 2011 Company C finally enters into a commercial relationship with Company B thus triggering Consultant A's entitlement to payments out of 20,000 Euros per month of revenue. These are to be paid as Company B receives revenue from Company C. Consultant A elects to take this payment quarterly to minimise bank charges on payments on relatively small amounts.
Since 2010 Consultant A resigned their freelancing work under the Umbrella Company and became a full time employee of a different unrelated business. Special terms were negotiated with the new employer to allow continuation of the terms of the contract with Company B - normal employment terms forbid any commercial relationships with other companies. Ex Consultant A is a higher rate tax payer, any additional income is likely to push total taxable earnings above £100,000 per annum.
Ex Consultant A is now ready to receive commission payments and must raise invoices to trigger payments which will be quarterly until end of 2013. The question is how should ex consultant A treat the income for Self Assessment purposes and also for National Insurance?
Given the tax situation it might seem efficient to put the income into a pension policy, however as ex Consultant A has credit card debts of £47,000 their preference is to repay the debts as much as possible.
Many thanks for any advice!
- Digital tax accounts - what do we expect? 815 14
- Digita Accounts Production Advanced - general perception 274 7
- Windows 10 anyone? 20 1
- Not a question - just a POI 53 3
- MVL 39 2
- Bankstream 1,036 24
- FACTA form help with CRS definitions for SSAS 166 2
- SDLT 228 7
- Xerocon 2016 581 11
- CT600 Software - anyone else having issues? 359 8
- charity selling (donated) recycled materials & for scrap- VAT? 100 1
- Disengagement Help! 498 14
- Anybody have that old ACCA Student Training Record (STR)? 231 2
- Is Xero payroll as rubbish as I suspect it is? 1,564 33
- Earings from Gardening after retirement 56 1
- Software that posts COGS? 612 14
- Taxi Drivers Cost of Sale 539 20
- Maternity and claining expenses 158 4
- sale/transfer of shares in a private limited company to a related holding company 128 4
- Employment allowance changes 353 7