Introduction / sales commission paid 2 years after employment
In 2009 Consultant A, a UK resident and tax payer, working on a freelance basis under an "umbrella company" which paid PAYE out of contract income, signs a contract to introduce Company B to Company C. If the result of said introduction produces any revenue for Company B then Consultant A is paid 2.5% commission from the year 1 revenues arising and 1.25% in year 2. Company B is based in Bulgaria and will pay the commission in Euros (being the currency of contract with Company C).
In 2011 Company C finally enters into a commercial relationship with Company B thus triggering Consultant A's entitlement to payments out of 20,000 Euros per month of revenue. These are to be paid as Company B receives revenue from Company C. Consultant A elects to take this payment quarterly to minimise bank charges on payments on relatively small amounts.
Since 2010 Consultant A resigned their freelancing work under the Umbrella Company and became a full time employee of a different unrelated business. Special terms were negotiated with the new employer to allow continuation of the terms of the contract with Company B - normal employment terms forbid any commercial relationships with other companies. Ex Consultant A is a higher rate tax payer, any additional income is likely to push total taxable earnings above £100,000 per annum.
Ex Consultant A is now ready to receive commission payments and must raise invoices to trigger payments which will be quarterly until end of 2013. The question is how should ex consultant A treat the income for Self Assessment purposes and also for National Insurance?
Given the tax situation it might seem efficient to put the income into a pension policy, however as ex Consultant A has credit card debts of £47,000 their preference is to repay the debts as much as possible.
Many thanks for any advice!
- Incorporation Relief 78 2
- change of office address 62 2
- Donaldson v HMRC case being heard tomorrow! 83 1
- Legal Advice Needed Bank Account Blocked 326 3
- Letting income or partnership income? 47 1
- Quick Easy Quote 196 3
- Furniture Rental Business 70 2
- Client Death 531 9
- Accounts formation/ speculative advertising 167 4
- Moving into own BTL property - allowable costs 348 2
- Are Bursaries Taxable 80 2
- Will Ni be payable on the salary I receive abroad ? 317 1
- Entrepreneurs relief available? 145 3
- Accountancy Software Recommendation for eCommerce Business 401 5
- What is going on with VAT applications?? 1,927 38
- Do I need to report this to SOCA 965 15
- Unallocated client money 187 5
- Dissolve a Ltd Company - How much do you charge? 343 5
- VAT On Conference Sponsorship 132 2
- Extracting funds from a failing Company 211 6
- Proposed Amendments to IAS 1 598
- Property exchange - 8-year legal delay following fall-out 472
- Sorry ignore me 369
- Accounting for Insurance Premium Financing 365
- SAGE Payroll Data for Import to MS Dynamics AX 276
- Cancelled 238
- Cancelled 205
- Bartercard 170
- C79 Discrepancy 164
- Sage Report Designer - Nominal Activity in Currency 157