Introduction / sales commission paid 2 years after employment
In 2009 Consultant A, a UK resident and tax payer, working on a freelance basis under an "umbrella company" which paid PAYE out of contract income, signs a contract to introduce Company B to Company C. If the result of said introduction produces any revenue for Company B then Consultant A is paid 2.5% commission from the year 1 revenues arising and 1.25% in year 2. Company B is based in Bulgaria and will pay the commission in Euros (being the currency of contract with Company C).
In 2011 Company C finally enters into a commercial relationship with Company B thus triggering Consultant A's entitlement to payments out of 20,000 Euros per month of revenue. These are to be paid as Company B receives revenue from Company C. Consultant A elects to take this payment quarterly to minimise bank charges on payments on relatively small amounts.
Since 2010 Consultant A resigned their freelancing work under the Umbrella Company and became a full time employee of a different unrelated business. Special terms were negotiated with the new employer to allow continuation of the terms of the contract with Company B - normal employment terms forbid any commercial relationships with other companies. Ex Consultant A is a higher rate tax payer, any additional income is likely to push total taxable earnings above £100,000 per annum.
Ex Consultant A is now ready to receive commission payments and must raise invoices to trigger payments which will be quarterly until end of 2013. The question is how should ex consultant A treat the income for Self Assessment purposes and also for National Insurance?
Given the tax situation it might seem efficient to put the income into a pension policy, however as ex Consultant A has credit card debts of £47,000 their preference is to repay the debts as much as possible.
Many thanks for any advice!
- VAT underpayments and financial reporting 51 1
- Why does Aweb always take the nuclear option … 2,702 61
- Bookkeeping - Relevant Qualifications? 284 5
- Overdrawn directors loan account. 834 20
- The importance of Grammar 907 24
- New starter - tax code 189 6
- Treatment of private car expenses put through limited company 125 2
- PI cover 108 2
- Capital loss on cessation for a sole trader 129 2
- HMRC site down ? 171 4
- Tax Filer - Transfering figures from partnership to personal returns 142 6
- Small hotel - food for personal use 206 3
- Xero Pain Points 258 12
- Models, agency rules and intermediary reporting 96 1
- Samsung Galaxy - Tablet War 122 1
- Late RTI submissions on change of accountants 168 2
- VAT - How hard is it? 392 15
- Tax Return for arrivals into the UK 154 4
- Copies of every transaction can't be OK!! 597 9
- ACCOUNTING TREATMENT FOR DISBURSEMENTS 235 3
- Any knowledge of salesorder.com 361
- Chart of account segments; Balance sheet vs P&L 301
- HMRC RTI Filing Problem 288
- Goodwill and the Summer 2015 Budget 281
- Could and would anyone here carry out a hot file review of some non statutory audit work please? 273
- Electric Car 225
- S222 Charge 203
- What is the best acounting software for online international retail business? 198
- Foreign Tax on Pensions 192
- Company Structure 176