Introduction / sales commission paid 2 years after employment
In 2009 Consultant A, a UK resident and tax payer, working on a freelance basis under an "umbrella company" which paid PAYE out of contract income, signs a contract to introduce Company B to Company C. If the result of said introduction produces any revenue for Company B then Consultant A is paid 2.5% commission from the year 1 revenues arising and 1.25% in year 2. Company B is based in Bulgaria and will pay the commission in Euros (being the currency of contract with Company C).
In 2011 Company C finally enters into a commercial relationship with Company B thus triggering Consultant A's entitlement to payments out of 20,000 Euros per month of revenue. These are to be paid as Company B receives revenue from Company C. Consultant A elects to take this payment quarterly to minimise bank charges on payments on relatively small amounts.
Since 2010 Consultant A resigned their freelancing work under the Umbrella Company and became a full time employee of a different unrelated business. Special terms were negotiated with the new employer to allow continuation of the terms of the contract with Company B - normal employment terms forbid any commercial relationships with other companies. Ex Consultant A is a higher rate tax payer, any additional income is likely to push total taxable earnings above £100,000 per annum.
Ex Consultant A is now ready to receive commission payments and must raise invoices to trigger payments which will be quarterly until end of 2013. The question is how should ex consultant A treat the income for Self Assessment purposes and also for National Insurance?
Given the tax situation it might seem efficient to put the income into a pension policy, however as ex Consultant A has credit card debts of £47,000 their preference is to repay the debts as much as possible.
Many thanks for any advice!
- IR35 & Managed Service Companies 231 1
- Previous accountant filed dormant accounts in error 47 1
- Practical Query: Entrepreneurs and PPR Reliefs 241 2
- Wear and tear allowance 272 4
- Limited Company - Personal Bank Account 599 24
- Husband and Wife Holiday letting profit split 78 3
- tax insider 350 5
- Builder Gifted Deposit and capital gains 500 19
- Tax on sale of shares 60 2
- Amazon - digital book sales 213 2
- late payroll registration 75 1
- *Urgent pls advise * filing dormant accounts to Companies House 466 18
- Paint Manufacturer Flat Rate Scheme 47 2
- Profit and Loss Account Adjustments 185 7
- Expenses paid by director (the owner) 250 4
- Breaking Up A Property Company 267 2
- Website development costs - tax and accounting treatment 235 3
- G'day IPA-IFA 528 8
- Declaration of Trust 573 20
- Inventory valuation of precious metals? 77 1
- Skandia using wrong address 1,418
- Nil Rate Band Trust - index linked debt by way of charge over property 728
- Any views 664
- HMRC Employers Diary 496
- International interest certificate 412
- Stamp Duty on share for share exchange 370
- Sale of business 322
- NOVA 229
- Advertising services? 221
- IRIS Open Books problem 212