I have a client who had partnership income and sole trade income in 2006/2007. HMRC issued a notice under Section 12AC (1) and (6) TMA 1970 ref the partnership, all on time, but also issed a Section 9A TMA 1970 notice ref sole trade but have accepted that it was invalid as it was issued too late to have been received within the statutory date. Both related to losses and a tax refund was witheld.
All well and good but they had in the interim issued an assessment, which they called a discovery assesment using Section 29 TMA 1970 as authority as time was running out, thus reducing the overpayment from £51K to £22k (and come up with tax due of £29K by taking a negative from a negative and getting a positive) by disallowing the sole trade loss. The partnership loss stayed intact.
The partnership matter is now settled and a figure of tax is due by way of a settlement payment to be lade separately.
So, where do we stand regading the sole trade?
I am of opinion that the invalid Section 9A invalidates the asessment so the full £51K overpayment should now be released. There are also losses allocted to earlier years which should now be actioned resulting in a additional tax refund.
Am I right or will HMRC get an out via the Section 12AC (6)?
Was it really a "discovery" assessment seing all info was on the return itself?
- Share swap 337 10
- Associated companies - CT small profits relief 223 10
- Cleaners wages at small church -PAYE or self employed ? 291 6
- A change from the old Q v NQ debate 457 15
- VAT reports on trade debtors and trade creditors 132 2
- Residential leeting and repairs 63 2
- DOUBLE TAXATION RELIEF BETWEEN A PRIVATE LTD COMPANY AND GREECE (the private Ltd has no employees and its main activity is 221 1
- Entrepreneurs' relief for trustees - receipt of rent 156 4
- Offsetting CIS tax suffered against CT 226 11
- Late P45 50 1
- VAT on motor expenses 929 34
- ideas for a bonus scheme for accountants 504 8
- Why do HMRC have a different FPS liability to the amount I sent? 1,753 23
- another ir35!!!! 1,198 8
- Sage Payroll with 'employees' not having tax or NI deducted 132 2
- Money transfers between companies owned by one person 252 11
- Limited Company - Personal Bank Account 2,412 42
- Sage 50 146 1
- Introduction of Goodwill 273 6
- How to account fot Cross-border vat. 137 2
- Skandia using wrong address 1,552
- Nil Rate Band Trust - index linked debt by way of charge over property 855
- International interest certificate 473
- NOVA 330
- Subby expenses subject to tax & NI? 240
- Can Limited Company Buy Share of Rental Property? 229
- Management expenses for investment company 219
- Bonus Bonds 211
- Have we escaped Gift with Reservation of Benfit & Pre-owned asset charges? - Gift after benefit 197
- Check my logic on this please? 161