I have a client who had partnership income and sole trade income in 2006/2007. HMRC issued a notice under Section 12AC (1) and (6) TMA 1970 ref the partnership, all on time, but also issed a Section 9A TMA 1970 notice ref sole trade but have accepted that it was invalid as it was issued too late to have been received within the statutory date. Both related to losses and a tax refund was witheld.
All well and good but they had in the interim issued an assessment, which they called a discovery assesment using Section 29 TMA 1970 as authority as time was running out, thus reducing the overpayment from £51K to £22k (and come up with tax due of £29K by taking a negative from a negative and getting a positive) by disallowing the sole trade loss. The partnership loss stayed intact.
The partnership matter is now settled and a figure of tax is due by way of a settlement payment to be lade separately.
So, where do we stand regading the sole trade?
I am of opinion that the invalid Section 9A invalidates the asessment so the full £51K overpayment should now be released. There are also losses allocted to earlier years which should now be actioned resulting in a additional tax refund.
Am I right or will HMRC get an out via the Section 12AC (6)?
Was it really a "discovery" assessment seing all info was on the return itself?
- Not renewing AAT 600 8
- Self-assessment statistics 2,399 56
- Accountant won't release working papers 2,689 51
- New dividend taxation 306 2
- Co purchase printed materials from EU - VAT 94 1
- Company car v company allowance 202 1
- Furnished Lettings - expenses normally bourne by tenant 423 9
- Company formation and bank account 350 9
- Next Move 627 18
- Owning overseas property 296 2
- MLR and benefitting from the disclosure 279 1
- Company Car for Owner Director number crunching - is there a ready reckoner? 209 3
- How did you recalculate your payroll fees 680 8
- Client tied in to accountant. Unfair contract? 627 9
- Importing Sage Data and Year End 235 2
- Legal structure of a group of friends producing a free newspaper 408 8
- OneNote is fantastic 560 11
- VAT Direct Debit 381 7
- S445 tax V's new dividend tax 470 8
- Self Assessment Software 702 21
- Self employed and HMRC Worldwide Subsistence Rates 664
- Acrobat Checkbox Help for New 64-8 405
- Property letting & CAs 396
- Interest paid - do new rules affect Tax Credits? 391
- 2015 tax year end 388
- FCA regulated company in a small group 344
- Self employed consultant working in Ireland 306
- Market Invoice (P2P invoice discounting) tax treatment 238
- DTA tie-breaker issue 209
- Tax on internet ad sharing income 204