I have a client who had partnership income and sole trade income in 2006/2007. HMRC issued a notice under Section 12AC (1) and (6) TMA 1970 ref the partnership, all on time, but also issed a Section 9A TMA 1970 notice ref sole trade but have accepted that it was invalid as it was issued too late to have been received within the statutory date. Both related to losses and a tax refund was witheld.
All well and good but they had in the interim issued an assessment, which they called a discovery assesment using Section 29 TMA 1970 as authority as time was running out, thus reducing the overpayment from £51K to £22k (and come up with tax due of £29K by taking a negative from a negative and getting a positive) by disallowing the sole trade loss. The partnership loss stayed intact.
The partnership matter is now settled and a figure of tax is due by way of a settlement payment to be lade separately.
So, where do we stand regading the sole trade?
I am of opinion that the invalid Section 9A invalidates the asessment so the full £51K overpayment should now be released. There are also losses allocted to earlier years which should now be actioned resulting in a additional tax refund.
Am I right or will HMRC get an out via the Section 12AC (6)?
Was it really a "discovery" assessment seing all info was on the return itself?
- Tax Relief on Bridging Loan 56 2
- Taxcalc , the hub of the problem 862 32
- Use of home deduction 514 15
- Copy Wanted 675 3
- Non resident income. 244 12
- Company dividends 401 12
- Self Assessment University Superannuation Scheme 77 1
- 11pm and having a blonde moment 119 2
- Losses B/F and Class 4 NIC 190 2
- Pounds Shillings and Pence 536 21
- Software 341 8
- Tax return filed on time but payment late 410 6
- SA late payment penalty 193 3
- Death of taxpayer - personal allowance 300 8
- No codes in Sage 50 Nominal List? 121 1
- Might income tax be payable on these gifts? 128 2
- How Long does it take to get an Agent ID 131 2
- Private Residence Relief after gift 139 3
- Companies House late filing penalties 2,432 81
- Buy to let property : Is parking bay tax deductible ? 270 5
- Form MR01 (Particulars of a charge) - does this need to be filed if you remortgage with the same lender? 857
- Underpaid VAT assessment and relation to SATR 550
- Did you realise Google will not patch android exploit ... 516
- Latest phishing scam 407
- Entrepreneurs' relief 377
- Supply teachers and Ltd Companies 337
- Cashback for opening business bank acct = trading income? 320
- Corporate LLP with 30 June Year end - How to record on SA800? 303
- Auto Enrolment Questions Answered 216
- Penalties- On Tax Returns (New Regime) 193