I have a client who had partnership income and sole trade income in 2006/2007. HMRC issued a notice under Section 12AC (1) and (6) TMA 1970 ref the partnership, all on time, but also issed a Section 9A TMA 1970 notice ref sole trade but have accepted that it was invalid as it was issued too late to have been received within the statutory date. Both related to losses and a tax refund was witheld.
All well and good but they had in the interim issued an assessment, which they called a discovery assesment using Section 29 TMA 1970 as authority as time was running out, thus reducing the overpayment from £51K to £22k (and come up with tax due of £29K by taking a negative from a negative and getting a positive) by disallowing the sole trade loss. The partnership loss stayed intact.
The partnership matter is now settled and a figure of tax is due by way of a settlement payment to be lade separately.
So, where do we stand regading the sole trade?
I am of opinion that the invalid Section 9A invalidates the asessment so the full £51K overpayment should now be released. There are also losses allocted to earlier years which should now be actioned resulting in a additional tax refund.
Am I right or will HMRC get an out via the Section 12AC (6)?
Was it really a "discovery" assessment seing all info was on the return itself?
- Director resignation 239 5
- Company asserts 101 1
- VAT on unused stock 60 1
- When to recover vat on bad debts 134 4
- Can't find a good web address 175 3
- Sage Line 50 - create custom remittance advices 185 7
- Timesheet and travel expenses software for engineering consultants 208 5
- effective advertising 249 6
- Nominal Code for Car lease? 191 8
- Software recommendations 315 2
- Cloud Based Software recommendations please 157 3
- Edible spam? 804 16
- I'm thinking of moving to Ireland 311 5
- Put fees on website 301 6
- s75 ICTA88 Management expenses - idiots guide 1,555 27
- Mobile phone and P11D 1,335 4
- Sigma Red 1,423 3
- CIS Software Recommendations 347 5
- VAT on medical/care services? 117 2
- Definition of "relative" in benefits code 198 2
- Straight line write off of Purchase Goodwill ??? 482
- Has anyone been affected by the RBS payment breakdown? 466
- WIP Software 338
- No payroll scheme in place 292
- Is there anything wrong with this? 260
- Do subcontractors on work for residential (student accomodation) construction 255
- Small Part Disposal of Property 230
- Uncommercial property business 230
- Apple Employees - RSU vesting and tax witheld 194
- SA Penalty 187