I have a client who had partnership income and sole trade income in 2006/2007. HMRC issued a notice under Section 12AC (1) and (6) TMA 1970 ref the partnership, all on time, but also issed a Section 9A TMA 1970 notice ref sole trade but have accepted that it was invalid as it was issued too late to have been received within the statutory date. Both related to losses and a tax refund was witheld.
All well and good but they had in the interim issued an assessment, which they called a discovery assesment using Section 29 TMA 1970 as authority as time was running out, thus reducing the overpayment from £51K to £22k (and come up with tax due of £29K by taking a negative from a negative and getting a positive) by disallowing the sole trade loss. The partnership loss stayed intact.
The partnership matter is now settled and a figure of tax is due by way of a settlement payment to be lade separately.
So, where do we stand regading the sole trade?
I am of opinion that the invalid Section 9A invalidates the asessment so the full £51K overpayment should now be released. There are also losses allocted to earlier years which should now be actioned resulting in a additional tax refund.
Am I right or will HMRC get an out via the Section 12AC (6)?
Was it really a "discovery" assessment seing all info was on the return itself?
- Dividend paid to non-shareholder 427 12
- Shareholders selling shares to shareholders, how to account for it? 14 1
- Dispensation pointless ? 476 12
- Underpaid taxes included in tax code connundrum 84 2
- Is Hold over relief available? 83 4
- can I claim a per diem 168 3
- HMRC corporation tax software - how to enter negative expense 241 7
- Personal returns late information - when to get tough? 812 10
- Linux Accounting Software 529 11
- Playstation 4 - Allowable expense or not? 2,183 27
- Whats the best way to keep my accounts? 444 14
- Running Cost of Private Car more than 45p per mile?? 364 8
- How do I clear transaction history - Sage 50 v9 219 5
- Ltd co client preparing own self assessment tax returns 381 8
- Business Christmas Greetings 835 17
- When will Private Principal Residence Relief cut will start? 485 11
- SME Direct Debit 731 12
- Aweb Fantasy Practice 1,099 18
- Land Opt to Tax - VAT scope 170 6
- Is anyone a member of National Accountancy Network? 336 6
- Desperately seeking Susan, Sam or anyone with any other name 810
- Experience with Islamic investor following Sharia-compliant rules? 496
- Darwinpay Partnership Assessment 312
- How to format a stock book 275
- S464A Charge to tax: conferring benefit & BIK 223
- Tax efficient holding company structure 216
- Outlook 2007 with business contact manager not loading on new laptop 206
- Investment property company accounts template 200
- auto enrolment - calculation of first pension deduction 178
- Sage 50 Customer Statements and Running Balances 175