I have a client who had partnership income and sole trade income in 2006/2007. HMRC issued a notice under Section 12AC (1) and (6) TMA 1970 ref the partnership, all on time, but also issed a Section 9A TMA 1970 notice ref sole trade but have accepted that it was invalid as it was issued too late to have been received within the statutory date. Both related to losses and a tax refund was witheld.
All well and good but they had in the interim issued an assessment, which they called a discovery assesment using Section 29 TMA 1970 as authority as time was running out, thus reducing the overpayment from £51K to £22k (and come up with tax due of £29K by taking a negative from a negative and getting a positive) by disallowing the sole trade loss. The partnership loss stayed intact.
The partnership matter is now settled and a figure of tax is due by way of a settlement payment to be lade separately.
So, where do we stand regading the sole trade?
I am of opinion that the invalid Section 9A invalidates the asessment so the full £51K overpayment should now be released. There are also losses allocted to earlier years which should now be actioned resulting in a additional tax refund.
Am I right or will HMRC get an out via the Section 12AC (6)?
Was it really a "discovery" assessment seing all info was on the return itself?
- are receipts needed? 261 8
- How to? 100 1
- Cheque alternative - letter to HMRC re undeclared income 114 1
- Company overdue but wants to be struck off 564 19
- New accountant 320 6
- Loss Relief 88 1
- Tax case reference request 167 2
- Working out a daily rate 242 6
- Santander Scrip Dividend Scheme 157 2
- Amending prior year accounts for the first time? 1,396 25
- Unusual Self Employment Expense Claims? 481 6
- Sage Instant cash based flat rate 104 2
- Loan notes payment of principal and interest 97 2
- HMRC VAT misstatement disclosure 207 2
- How to account fot Cross-border vat. 219 5
- Paint Manufacturer Flat Rate Scheme 470 27
- Sage 50 203 2
- sole trader - operating under cis 242 7
- Limited Company - Personal Bank Account 2,985 65
- A change from the old Q v NQ debate 802 28
- Skandia using wrong address 1,584
- Nil Rate Band Trust - index linked debt by way of charge over property 880
- International interest certificate 491
- NOVA 344
- Can Limited Company Buy Share of Rental Property? 267
- Have we escaped Gift with Reservation of Benfit & Pre-owned asset charges? - Gift after benefit 252
- Management expenses for investment company 239
- Bonus Bonds 234
- Help with tax codes on Sage 183
- Capital reduction 169