I have a client who had partnership income and sole trade income in 2006/2007. HMRC issued a notice under Section 12AC (1) and (6) TMA 1970 ref the partnership, all on time, but also issed a Section 9A TMA 1970 notice ref sole trade but have accepted that it was invalid as it was issued too late to have been received within the statutory date. Both related to losses and a tax refund was witheld.
All well and good but they had in the interim issued an assessment, which they called a discovery assesment using Section 29 TMA 1970 as authority as time was running out, thus reducing the overpayment from £51K to £22k (and come up with tax due of £29K by taking a negative from a negative and getting a positive) by disallowing the sole trade loss. The partnership loss stayed intact.
The partnership matter is now settled and a figure of tax is due by way of a settlement payment to be lade separately.
So, where do we stand regading the sole trade?
I am of opinion that the invalid Section 9A invalidates the asessment so the full £51K overpayment should now be released. There are also losses allocted to earlier years which should now be actioned resulting in a additional tax refund.
Am I right or will HMRC get an out via the Section 12AC (6)?
Was it really a "discovery" assessment seing all info was on the return itself?
- Ex Gratia payments 46 1
- HMRC chasing club for unpaid fees 212 3
- Director leaving in month 1 67 1
- S162 and Capital Allowances 106 1
- Unaudited accounts and an accountant’s certificate of confirmation 116 4
- Selling assets to yourself ? 167 3
- 24 Month Rule - New Employer 169 3
- Director's remuneration accrual 154 4
- Capital allowance vehicle exchange 170 6
- IHT - clawback of BPR 40 1
- EIS - connection through employment 87 2
- HMRC Dispensation - How long does it last for? 230 3
- Electronically supplied services - B2B 38 1
- CIS and Close Company 77 2
- Correct tax & VAT treatment of local overnight expenses 220 4
- Secondment expenses 148 3
- VAT Option to tax 439 15
- Brain freeze - loss on disposal of company car 115 4
- Is VAT payable on insurance claims received ?? 109 3
- late vat registration and immediate deregistration 135 3
- Residential Property Purchase Above £750K 904
- Using Sage with Sofa Categories 636
- Free Tax Legislation? 397
- Director Loan account operation 396
- Understanding the implications of January 2015 VAT changes for downloads on threshold for VAT registration 328
- transferring simply accounting 2010 from xp to windows 7 316
- Sage 200 and Access Dimensions reviews 284
- rent-a-room allowance for part of the year 222
- Paye procedures for CVA 217
- HMRC Second Income Campaign - not so much a question as heads up 180