I have a client who had partnership income and sole trade income in 2006/2007. HMRC issued a notice under Section 12AC (1) and (6) TMA 1970 ref the partnership, all on time, but also issed a Section 9A TMA 1970 notice ref sole trade but have accepted that it was invalid as it was issued too late to have been received within the statutory date. Both related to losses and a tax refund was witheld.
All well and good but they had in the interim issued an assessment, which they called a discovery assesment using Section 29 TMA 1970 as authority as time was running out, thus reducing the overpayment from £51K to £22k (and come up with tax due of £29K by taking a negative from a negative and getting a positive) by disallowing the sole trade loss. The partnership loss stayed intact.
The partnership matter is now settled and a figure of tax is due by way of a settlement payment to be lade separately.
So, where do we stand regading the sole trade?
I am of opinion that the invalid Section 9A invalidates the asessment so the full £51K overpayment should now be released. There are also losses allocted to earlier years which should now be actioned resulting in a additional tax refund.
Am I right or will HMRC get an out via the Section 12AC (6)?
Was it really a "discovery" assessment seing all info was on the return itself?
- Saying goodbye 200 6
- Private portion of costs and expenses in Accounts 228 11
- Flat rate scheme 75 1
- SAGE TRANSACTIONS DATA 69 2
- Any Scottish members out there? 11,113 412
- Pension Contributions Relief 345 11
- Recovering VAT on property purchase 76 1
- Is this fraud? 84 1
- Tax on interest received from insurance company 198 2
- Is it possible to retrospectively change the tax year that dividends were paid. 264 15
- Unnecessary S9A Enquiries 293 1
- Sportman claiming for training kit 951 10
- Naming new company 126 4
- Now Scotland has voted "No", when does England get to vote? 775 33
- UK RESIDENT IN RECEIPT OF USA PENSION 154 2
- More stupid generic notices from HMRC on RTI 279 4
- VAT registration for self employed dentist??? 583 22
- Warning of enforcement action - without any warnings 247 4
- Expenses prior to Startup date for startup 144 4
- Is there an expert in Excel out there? 379 4
- Raiders of the Lost Tax File 1,267
- Chartered Accountant in County Down N.Ireland 452
- National Insurance 351
- Non Resident 265
- Cass 5 FCA Client Money Software recomendation 257
- Franchise income and costs 235
- Hands on experience of Digita 190
- Employer's Helpline 143
- employment capital allowances 133
- CIS paid under reg 9 129