I have a client who had partnership income and sole trade income in 2006/2007. HMRC issued a notice under Section 12AC (1) and (6) TMA 1970 ref the partnership, all on time, but also issed a Section 9A TMA 1970 notice ref sole trade but have accepted that it was invalid as it was issued too late to have been received within the statutory date. Both related to losses and a tax refund was witheld.
All well and good but they had in the interim issued an assessment, which they called a discovery assesment using Section 29 TMA 1970 as authority as time was running out, thus reducing the overpayment from £51K to £22k (and come up with tax due of £29K by taking a negative from a negative and getting a positive) by disallowing the sole trade loss. The partnership loss stayed intact.
The partnership matter is now settled and a figure of tax is due by way of a settlement payment to be lade separately.
So, where do we stand regading the sole trade?
I am of opinion that the invalid Section 9A invalidates the asessment so the full £51K overpayment should now be released. There are also losses allocted to earlier years which should now be actioned resulting in a additional tax refund.
Am I right or will HMRC get an out via the Section 12AC (6)?
Was it really a "discovery" assessment seing all info was on the return itself?
- flat rate scheme 1,903 38
- Time to react ? ? ? 236 2
- Guaranteed rents - which is the turnover? 98 1
- which accounts package for busy hairdressers? 107 1
- How much would you charge for an interim audit? 629 9
- Anyone else experiencing issues with sage 50 payroll 110 3
- Company Share Buy Back 107 2
- Charitable Payment 205 4
- Are any of you members of The Institute of Financial Accountants - Accountnats certificate 923 15
- Unpaid share capital 248 3
- Company car in the LLP 171 2
- Physiotherapy 337 4
- New build property to be rented 159 4
- Are you going to Tick and Bash on 21 May? 1,881 52
- Hello 357 2
- Sage 200 question 109 1
- Spanish Assets taxation - UK Residence 101 2
- Ltd Co and Fully Paid Shares 168 5
- RTI and Advances to Employees 175 3
- Sorry - another PPR question 215 4