I have a client who had partnership income and sole trade income in 2006/2007. HMRC issued a notice under Section 12AC (1) and (6) TMA 1970 ref the partnership, all on time, but also issed a Section 9A TMA 1970 notice ref sole trade but have accepted that it was invalid as it was issued too late to have been received within the statutory date. Both related to losses and a tax refund was witheld.
All well and good but they had in the interim issued an assessment, which they called a discovery assesment using Section 29 TMA 1970 as authority as time was running out, thus reducing the overpayment from £51K to £22k (and come up with tax due of £29K by taking a negative from a negative and getting a positive) by disallowing the sole trade loss. The partnership loss stayed intact.
The partnership matter is now settled and a figure of tax is due by way of a settlement payment to be lade separately.
So, where do we stand regading the sole trade?
I am of opinion that the invalid Section 9A invalidates the asessment so the full £51K overpayment should now be released. There are also losses allocted to earlier years which should now be actioned resulting in a additional tax refund.
Am I right or will HMRC get an out via the Section 12AC (6)?
Was it really a "discovery" assessment seing all info was on the return itself?
- More AE! 177 6
- New business - journal entries 596 27
- US Citizen but never resident in US 199 4
- LLP Tax Allocation Prior Year Amendment 23 1
- aia 92 1
- Is there capital gains tax for selling a church? 156 2
- How could I be identified for VAT purposes in UK? 241 3
- UK company paying dividend to foreign shareholder 434 10
- Capital Allowances and Building Improvements 449 16
- Director Personal Bank Account in company's books 220 5
- Tax free threshold on person receiving gifts 207 2
- Form 17 Joint tenancy v tenants in common 240 7
- vat help for catering concession 108 1
- Merger of Two companies 542 20
- RTI and Directors' salaries 110 1
- Merging 505 12
- Excuses, excuses!!! 415 1
- Travel costs and contractors 227 1
- Why should I retain membership? 3,522 56
- Merger of Two companies 440 14
- Auto enrolment excuses 985
- Feedback on accounts production software for IFRS 742
- Add T&Cs to Sales Order in Sage 431
- Digita Hosted Software 248
- Problems with Sage 50 Payroll v21(2015) pension module 243
- Social investment tax relief 242
- Call Centre Data Costs 227
- Buying goods in US and selling them to company in US 181
- Are any of you agents for doctors? 145
- Petrol station franchise and VAT 135