I have a client who had partnership income and sole trade income in 2006/2007. HMRC issued a notice under Section 12AC (1) and (6) TMA 1970 ref the partnership, all on time, but also issed a Section 9A TMA 1970 notice ref sole trade but have accepted that it was invalid as it was issued too late to have been received within the statutory date. Both related to losses and a tax refund was witheld.
All well and good but they had in the interim issued an assessment, which they called a discovery assesment using Section 29 TMA 1970 as authority as time was running out, thus reducing the overpayment from £51K to £22k (and come up with tax due of £29K by taking a negative from a negative and getting a positive) by disallowing the sole trade loss. The partnership loss stayed intact.
The partnership matter is now settled and a figure of tax is due by way of a settlement payment to be lade separately.
So, where do we stand regading the sole trade?
I am of opinion that the invalid Section 9A invalidates the asessment so the full £51K overpayment should now be released. There are also losses allocted to earlier years which should now be actioned resulting in a additional tax refund.
Am I right or will HMRC get an out via the Section 12AC (6)?
Was it really a "discovery" assessment seing all info was on the return itself?
- IT advisory questions? 255 7
- signature required 531 22
- Use of home query 60 1
- Pratice Management Software 154 2
- How can I deal with an unethical accountant? 226 6
- Error in audited accounts 62 1
- Vat registration exception 197 3
- CIS software 73 2
- Homing sandwiches 468 11
- CT600 123 3
- Director appointment not valid - any observations? 181 7
- Settlement discount 144 4
- Director Personal Bank Account in company's books 516 9
- How do I undo the work of a Macro in Excel 184 5
- A number of Clearbooks VAT return issues! 173 2
- VAT on hotel payments received in advance 133 2
- Norwegian p45, which UK Tax return does it go into 216 10
- Left UK in 2006 but did not declare rental income since 2009 136 1
- VAT rate charged by surveyor 190 2
- Related Party Transactions 129 2
- Auto enrolment excuses 1,245
- Feedback on accounts production software for IFRS 816
- Add T&Cs to Sales Order in Sage 523
- Digita Hosted Software 339
- Credit where credit's due....... 314
- Buying goods in US and selling them to company in US 238
- Flat rate VAT- other income calculation 198
- TheTax Donut 181
- Corporation Tax return - more than one trade 162
- Double taxation relief - same income, different individual 162