I have a client who had partnership income and sole trade income in 2006/2007. HMRC issued a notice under Section 12AC (1) and (6) TMA 1970 ref the partnership, all on time, but also issed a Section 9A TMA 1970 notice ref sole trade but have accepted that it was invalid as it was issued too late to have been received within the statutory date. Both related to losses and a tax refund was witheld.
All well and good but they had in the interim issued an assessment, which they called a discovery assesment using Section 29 TMA 1970 as authority as time was running out, thus reducing the overpayment from £51K to £22k (and come up with tax due of £29K by taking a negative from a negative and getting a positive) by disallowing the sole trade loss. The partnership loss stayed intact.
The partnership matter is now settled and a figure of tax is due by way of a settlement payment to be lade separately.
So, where do we stand regading the sole trade?
I am of opinion that the invalid Section 9A invalidates the asessment so the full £51K overpayment should now be released. There are also losses allocted to earlier years which should now be actioned resulting in a additional tax refund.
Am I right or will HMRC get an out via the Section 12AC (6)?
Was it really a "discovery" assessment seing all info was on the return itself?
- Bookkeeping - Relevant Qualifications? 268 5
- Overdrawn directors loan account. 827 20
- The importance of Grammar 897 24
- New starter - tax code 177 6
- Treatment of private car expenses put through limited company 113 2
- Why does Aweb always take the nuclear option … 2,684 60
- PI cover 97 2
- Capital loss on cessation for a sole trader 123 2
- HMRC site down ? 160 4
- Tax Filer - Transfering figures from partnership to personal returns 139 6
- Small hotel - food for personal use 201 3
- Xero Pain Points 256 12
- Models, agency rules and intermediary reporting 92 1
- Samsung Galaxy - Tablet War 118 1
- Late RTI submissions on change of accountants 159 2
- VAT - How hard is it? 380 15
- Tax Return for arrivals into the UK 152 4
- Copies of every transaction can't be OK!! 593 9
- ACCOUNTING TREATMENT FOR DISBURSEMENTS 234 3
- Childcare 275 4
- Any knowledge of salesorder.com 360
- Chart of account segments; Balance sheet vs P&L 299
- HMRC RTI Filing Problem 285
- Goodwill and the Summer 2015 Budget 280
- Could and would anyone here carry out a hot file review of some non statutory audit work please? 272
- Electric Car 222
- S222 Charge 202
- What is the best acounting software for online international retail business? 196
- Foreign Tax on Pensions 192
- Company Structure 174