I have a client who had partnership income and sole trade income in 2006/2007. HMRC issued a notice under Section 12AC (1) and (6) TMA 1970 ref the partnership, all on time, but also issed a Section 9A TMA 1970 notice ref sole trade but have accepted that it was invalid as it was issued too late to have been received within the statutory date. Both related to losses and a tax refund was witheld.
All well and good but they had in the interim issued an assessment, which they called a discovery assesment using Section 29 TMA 1970 as authority as time was running out, thus reducing the overpayment from £51K to £22k (and come up with tax due of £29K by taking a negative from a negative and getting a positive) by disallowing the sole trade loss. The partnership loss stayed intact.
The partnership matter is now settled and a figure of tax is due by way of a settlement payment to be lade separately.
So, where do we stand regading the sole trade?
I am of opinion that the invalid Section 9A invalidates the asessment so the full £51K overpayment should now be released. There are also losses allocted to earlier years which should now be actioned resulting in a additional tax refund.
Am I right or will HMRC get an out via the Section 12AC (6)?
Was it really a "discovery" assessment seing all info was on the return itself?
- Xerocon 2016 1,022 24
- Entrepreneurs' Relief upon sale of a cash rich company 2,192 41
- buying asset and settling vendor's debt 236 6
- Posting invoices with balance brought forward 250 7
- HMRC now overriding SA bank repayment details on tax returns 598 12
- Personal Tax 500 11
- USA Tax Query 175 1
- Disengagement Help! 1,661 25
- Is HMRC Basic Tools basically wrong? 946 6
- Expenses paid by director (the comapny owner) 299 2
- Write an article on latest tax changes for landlords. 602 18
- Corrupt Excel File 675 10
- Website costs (intangible assets) tax relief 354 4
- Is Xero payroll as rubbish as I suspect it is? 1,976 43
- Locked Out of HMRC Online Account - HMRC Not Responding 290 2
- Re-Training costs - tax reief 415 7
- Capital Gain on Share Disposal with Held Over Gains 180 1
- 64-8's amazingly quick 344 4
- last minute request 523 5
- VAT - Check on clients business 1,254 46