I have a client who had partnership income and sole trade income in 2006/2007. HMRC issued a notice under Section 12AC (1) and (6) TMA 1970 ref the partnership, all on time, but also issed a Section 9A TMA 1970 notice ref sole trade but have accepted that it was invalid as it was issued too late to have been received within the statutory date. Both related to losses and a tax refund was witheld.
All well and good but they had in the interim issued an assessment, which they called a discovery assesment using Section 29 TMA 1970 as authority as time was running out, thus reducing the overpayment from £51K to £22k (and come up with tax due of £29K by taking a negative from a negative and getting a positive) by disallowing the sole trade loss. The partnership loss stayed intact.
The partnership matter is now settled and a figure of tax is due by way of a settlement payment to be lade separately.
So, where do we stand regading the sole trade?
I am of opinion that the invalid Section 9A invalidates the asessment so the full £51K overpayment should now be released. There are also losses allocted to earlier years which should now be actioned resulting in a additional tax refund.
Am I right or will HMRC get an out via the Section 12AC (6)?
Was it really a "discovery" assessment seing all info was on the return itself?
- Closing down - who should buy whom? 312 16
- Two questions re client meetings and TR Fees 423 6
- VAT flat rate scheme 233 4
- Unpaid Fee's 444 8
- IHT on offshore settlement 112 1
- Subcontracting accountancy work 131 2
- Client information from previous accountant 265 5
- Tax and NI on payment to overseas employee 179 2
- Tax relief for backdated pension contributions 315 10
- Liability account to deal with loans from owner 206 9
- A very basic T9 or T0 Question... 252 5
- Corporation Tax DTR 929 9
- PAYE NI 209 4
- break even point 1,045 31
- Tasbook email configuration 214 3
- Client cash balances, on or off-balance sheet for full service brokerage firm 248 4
- How long do legal aid take to pay? 142 1
- Personal Pension Withdrawal 233 2
- Failure to operate PAYE 1,708 31
- quote for winding down two companies and file accounts 171 1
- Possible Partnership? 520
- Lunatics in charge of the asylum - Bluestone 500
- Tax and accounting treatment on long lease granted from freehold 470
- New Fangled Penalties 315
- Clubs and Taxable Income 264
- Purchase of property freehold - capitalisation of costs 261
- Deferring taxable income until after 5 April 260
- Loans to other companies 198
- Closed PAYE schemes and auto enrolment 173
- English Company Owning Property in Scotland 169