I have a client who had partnership income and sole trade income in 2006/2007. HMRC issued a notice under Section 12AC (1) and (6) TMA 1970 ref the partnership, all on time, but also issed a Section 9A TMA 1970 notice ref sole trade but have accepted that it was invalid as it was issued too late to have been received within the statutory date. Both related to losses and a tax refund was witheld.
All well and good but they had in the interim issued an assessment, which they called a discovery assesment using Section 29 TMA 1970 as authority as time was running out, thus reducing the overpayment from £51K to £22k (and come up with tax due of £29K by taking a negative from a negative and getting a positive) by disallowing the sole trade loss. The partnership loss stayed intact.
The partnership matter is now settled and a figure of tax is due by way of a settlement payment to be lade separately.
So, where do we stand regading the sole trade?
I am of opinion that the invalid Section 9A invalidates the asessment so the full £51K overpayment should now be released. There are also losses allocted to earlier years which should now be actioned resulting in a additional tax refund.
Am I right or will HMRC get an out via the Section 12AC (6)?
Was it really a "discovery" assessment seing all info was on the return itself?
- Late leaver notification 399 8
- What does PITA mean? 874 22
- Any printer recommendations? 225 7
- PAYE & NIC 313 22
- Corporation Tax disallowed entertaining 278 5
- Interim dividends 229 6
- How do I tackle fraudulent use of a clients SA tax return? 1,126 7
- proposed dividends 711 23
- Business loan not in client's name 129 1
- Car fuel benefit - changing basis 177 2
- VAT on Exhibition services 163 4
- Company Payroll 220 2
- Dates, more dates and cessation 139 2
- Out of date tax returns 296 2
- Filling in my self assessment 1,003 17
- ACCA CPD verifiable units 199 2
- Any chance of winning an Appeal with HRMC for late self assessment charges 393 7
- Deductible or not ? Working out of hotels /coffee shops 490 6
- FPS responses ... 560 16
- Nominal Codes 303 9
- Sanzar 503
- Digital marketing focus group 403
- Sage troubleshooting for employee who has previously claimed SMP 383
- Are commercial mortgage cashbacks subject to Corporation Tax ? 345
- Sainsbury's mangement 339
- Continuity Agreement 332
- Avanti Accounts 331
- Buyback 290
- Entrepreneurs' relief (ER) for EMI shares 238
- Aggresive sales from Iris 212