Investment in partnership - accounting treatment
My client a UK company has invested in a property investment partnership as a limited partner. The partnership has reported a loss for the year and this has been allocated (adjusted for tax purposes) to the partners according to their share.
I have had conflicting views from colleagues regarding the accounting treatment of the investment and apportioned tax losses.
I had originally planned to account for the investment at cost (providing that NRV per the directors is considered to be higher) and to just disclose the apportioned tax losses in the accounts as a note in the corresponding investment note. Accordingly when the partnership starts making a profit then it would seem appropriate to disclose any share of taxable profits apportioned to the company as limited partner and to account for those that are distributed.
Obviously for tax purposes, apportioned tax losses and profits would be included in the company's corporation tax return, with the view that the disclosure in the accounts of these apportioned losses and profits would help readers understand the full picture.
However it seems that some would account for the apportioned losses and profits even if not yet distributed and adjust the carrying value of the investment accordingly.
Is either method acceptable and does anyone know of any point of reference for this?
- Yorkshire Day 534 36
- Adjustment to previous self assessments 15 1
- Company valuation for IHT purposes 135 4
- Do I need a smartphone? 1,786 65
- Principal Private Residence relief on two semis knocked together 124 4
- Subcontractor and CIS Deductions made by Contractor 351 16
- Entrepreneurs relief sale of business to two different buyers?? 106 3
- Have you staged yet for auto enrolment? 587 1
- SMP reclaimable by employer 265 7
- Agent help line - long queues? 217 4
- the umbrella scheme for PAYE 94 1
- inflation rate year on year 82 2
- Deleted question? 653 15
- Self Assessment Tax Return Required ???? 285 8
- Company no longer showing on Companies House web site 349 8
- EU VAT Registration Thresholds 143 6
- E-Magazines and pdfs 145 3
- Late annual return 201 2
- Flat rate VAT 370 8
- corporation tax 481 5
- Cancelled 458
- Cancelled 380
- SAGE Payroll Data for Import to MS Dynamics AX 373
- Probiz 351
- Free-standing washing machine - unfurnished lettings 350
- Phishing emails purporting to be from CIPFA? 254
- Is this UK incapacity benefit taxable in UK or Jersey? 232
- Another HMRC computer glitch? 225
- More spam 180
- Does anyone have SCI unit contact details? 155