Investment in partnership - accounting treatment
My client a UK company has invested in a property investment partnership as a limited partner. The partnership has reported a loss for the year and this has been allocated (adjusted for tax purposes) to the partners according to their share.
I have had conflicting views from colleagues regarding the accounting treatment of the investment and apportioned tax losses.
I had originally planned to account for the investment at cost (providing that NRV per the directors is considered to be higher) and to just disclose the apportioned tax losses in the accounts as a note in the corresponding investment note. Accordingly when the partnership starts making a profit then it would seem appropriate to disclose any share of taxable profits apportioned to the company as limited partner and to account for those that are distributed.
Obviously for tax purposes, apportioned tax losses and profits would be included in the company's corporation tax return, with the view that the disclosure in the accounts of these apportioned losses and profits would help readers understand the full picture.
However it seems that some would account for the apportioned losses and profits even if not yet distributed and adjust the carrying value of the investment accordingly.
Is either method acceptable and does anyone know of any point of reference for this?
- letter of reference 216 4
- Staff 204 4
- Software for Accounts layout 396 8
- Income prior to company formation 367 10
- rental property, pre letting costs 171 4
- VAT on farm machinery sold 369 7
- Non-resident company director 116 2
- are we that stupid 972 21
- Looking to move my email from PC to cloud 168 5
- How do you pay Inheritance Tax when HMRC haven't demanded it 746 13
- Can this be done? 201 1
- Capital Allowance & AIA 138 1
- Foster Care 141 1
- Spread Betting and Forex Trading 355 5
- Flexible report structure in cloud accounting 111 1
- Self Assessment penalties again 313 3
- Flat Management Company 222 1
- Share structure questions - close company 198 2
- Roll old capital gain into current one or declare separately? 184 4
- Inexpensive CRM for small accountancy practice? 353 5
- Motor Traders Assistant Bookkeeping Programme queries 331
- Tracesmart/Lexis Nexis AML software? Any opinions? 287
- French ConnectionUK 268
- Fundraising for friend - minimise tax? 252
- Recommended International mobile phone coverage and costs? 218
- Can anyone explain Indian Minimum Alternate Tax 218
- CentreCRM - anybody using it? 163
- Tax surcharge appeal - where to send ? 156
- E-mailing customer invoices in VT Transaction+ 155
- Agricultural Flat Rate Scheme 149