Investment in partnership - accounting treatment
My client a UK company has invested in a property investment partnership as a limited partner. The partnership has reported a loss for the year and this has been allocated (adjusted for tax purposes) to the partners according to their share.
I have had conflicting views from colleagues regarding the accounting treatment of the investment and apportioned tax losses.
I had originally planned to account for the investment at cost (providing that NRV per the directors is considered to be higher) and to just disclose the apportioned tax losses in the accounts as a note in the corresponding investment note. Accordingly when the partnership starts making a profit then it would seem appropriate to disclose any share of taxable profits apportioned to the company as limited partner and to account for those that are distributed.
Obviously for tax purposes, apportioned tax losses and profits would be included in the company's corporation tax return, with the view that the disclosure in the accounts of these apportioned losses and profits would help readers understand the full picture.
However it seems that some would account for the apportioned losses and profits even if not yet distributed and adjust the carrying value of the investment accordingly.
Is either method acceptable and does anyone know of any point of reference for this?
- Are you going to Tick and Bash on 21 May? 1,716 51
- PPR relief - deemed residence? 205 5
- Inputting previous months data into PAYE tools 165 4
- Unpaid share capital 54 1
- flat rate scheme 1,439 32
- 64-8 problems 96 2
- Employer reference not recognised? 109 2
- Business trips - director and family 206 2
- Non-UK resident - where to pay income tax? 426 10
- Allocation of income from property 439 12
- Networking 679 6
- Are any of you members of The Institute of Financial Accountants - Accountnats certificate 778 10
- VAT refund for DIY house builders 118 1
- Unqualified accountants filing SATR, VAT returns etc for clients 1,066 22
- bookkeeping system 361 5
- Outstanding Loans 122 1
- HELP...historic SSP query! 218 5
- Company van paid by director 219 2
- Private company division 213 2
- TAX CERTIFICATES- DO THEY NEED TAXPAYER'S NAME? 265 2