Investment in partnership - accounting treatment
My client a UK company has invested in a property investment partnership as a limited partner. The partnership has reported a loss for the year and this has been allocated (adjusted for tax purposes) to the partners according to their share.
I have had conflicting views from colleagues regarding the accounting treatment of the investment and apportioned tax losses.
I had originally planned to account for the investment at cost (providing that NRV per the directors is considered to be higher) and to just disclose the apportioned tax losses in the accounts as a note in the corresponding investment note. Accordingly when the partnership starts making a profit then it would seem appropriate to disclose any share of taxable profits apportioned to the company as limited partner and to account for those that are distributed.
Obviously for tax purposes, apportioned tax losses and profits would be included in the company's corporation tax return, with the view that the disclosure in the accounts of these apportioned losses and profits would help readers understand the full picture.
However it seems that some would account for the apportioned losses and profits even if not yet distributed and adjust the carrying value of the investment accordingly.
Is either method acceptable and does anyone know of any point of reference for this?
- Dividends from UK plc - tax years and dates 74 2
- Help 128 9
- What do people do with signed accounts/engagement letters/tax returns? 203 9
- Where has Portia gone? 5,024 109
- Overlap profit 291 7
- Moneysoft or Sage payroll with auto enrolment? 318 6
- RTI Payroll ID 2,060 25
- What is the correct Vat treatment and rate to use to record a business stay in a hotel in the EU? 119 1
- Payments on account 178 2
- Recurring Revenue/Costs occurred before registering, how do I handle this? 74 1
- What do your junior staff do? 522 7
- OMG HMRC !!!! Employ some ppl!! 647 12
- Keeping disastrous accounts 413 5
- Is my client risking reputational damage? 535 10
- VAT Exemptions for Dance Education 130 1
- Getting fees, getting harder? 3,941 74
- In pratice using part time accountants 348 3
- On the high seas 113 1
- Entrepreneurs Relief Shares Received as Part of Divorce Settlement 147 2
- Spousal transfer and PPR 858 34
- Services via intermediaries and new HMRC reporting requirements 853
- How hard is it to reduce a code? 445
- Sanzar 341
- How do you do it 337
- Digital marketing focus group 312
- Kashflow balance sheet difference 296
- Bed & Breakfast trade via Limited Company 210
- Fit for purpose 203
- new investor structure 200
- VAT Registration 181