Investment in partnership - accounting treatment
My client a UK company has invested in a property investment partnership as a limited partner. The partnership has reported a loss for the year and this has been allocated (adjusted for tax purposes) to the partners according to their share.
I have had conflicting views from colleagues regarding the accounting treatment of the investment and apportioned tax losses.
I had originally planned to account for the investment at cost (providing that NRV per the directors is considered to be higher) and to just disclose the apportioned tax losses in the accounts as a note in the corresponding investment note. Accordingly when the partnership starts making a profit then it would seem appropriate to disclose any share of taxable profits apportioned to the company as limited partner and to account for those that are distributed.
Obviously for tax purposes, apportioned tax losses and profits would be included in the company's corporation tax return, with the view that the disclosure in the accounts of these apportioned losses and profits would help readers understand the full picture.
However it seems that some would account for the apportioned losses and profits even if not yet distributed and adjust the carrying value of the investment accordingly.
Is either method acceptable and does anyone know of any point of reference for this?
- Year end 177 3
- tax credits 163 7
- Victor Meldrew morning 969 16
- Foreign income for self employed 144 2
- Whats the best way to keep my accounts? 685 20
- Is there difference between when you state you will provide a specific provison and you will make a specific provision of £3200 against a partcular debt? 264 9
- LLP - Member leaving 156 6
- what time is it ? 106 2
- Error in 11-12 return done by previous accountant, do we have to offer them to correct or can I do and client reclaim cost 267 9
- Personal returns late information - when to get tough? 1,064 14
- Tax Return Deadlines 230 4
- accruals and prepayments please help anyone out there 582 21
- How would you account for warranty? 163 4
- Sage 50 Accounts - Opening Bank Account Balance Posted to Nominal 9998 Suspense Account 405 22
- Sweet Tooth 199 6
- CA self-employed income below personal allowance 182 2
- trading or dormant 122 2
- Goodwill ammortisation 134 1
- When will Private Principal Residence Relief cut will start? 573 11
- Can rental income ever be trading income? 277 3
- Desperately seeking Susan, Sam or anyone with any other name 881
- Experience with Islamic investor following Sharia-compliant rules? 519
- Darwinpay Partnership Assessment 332
- How to format a stock book 313
- Tax efficient holding company structure 247
- S464A Charge to tax: conferring benefit & BIK 243
- Investment property company accounts template 227
- Outlook 2007 with business contact manager not loading on new laptop 220
- auto enrolment - calculation of first pension deduction 193
- RTI and Annual Directors Salary 168