Investment in partnership - accounting treatment
My client a UK company has invested in a property investment partnership as a limited partner. The partnership has reported a loss for the year and this has been allocated (adjusted for tax purposes) to the partners according to their share.
I have had conflicting views from colleagues regarding the accounting treatment of the investment and apportioned tax losses.
I had originally planned to account for the investment at cost (providing that NRV per the directors is considered to be higher) and to just disclose the apportioned tax losses in the accounts as a note in the corresponding investment note. Accordingly when the partnership starts making a profit then it would seem appropriate to disclose any share of taxable profits apportioned to the company as limited partner and to account for those that are distributed.
Obviously for tax purposes, apportioned tax losses and profits would be included in the company's corporation tax return, with the view that the disclosure in the accounts of these apportioned losses and profits would help readers understand the full picture.
However it seems that some would account for the apportioned losses and profits even if not yet distributed and adjust the carrying value of the investment accordingly.
Is either method acceptable and does anyone know of any point of reference for this?
- Can my company contibute more than 40000 to my pension in a tax year? 264 5
- . 194 2
- Freelance/Employee 649 17
- Recommendations for online payroll software 195 1
- Accountant Specialization. 258 2
- Rectify overpaid childcare vouchers, how? 165 2
- CT600 - Credit balance in expenses? 165 6
- Claiming VAT on car lease 451 27
- Capital Gains Tax on property with multiple uses 97 1
- Returning papers to ex-clients 595 7
- How to network with other Accountants? 684 5
- Correcting earlier year CT600s 129 2
- Agent Authorisation Issue 191 2
- CWF1 - is it still required?? 334 6
- Is it just me ... 294 5
- Duplicating Sales and COS but does not impacting bottom line? Legal? 297 4
- CIS registration when already registered for PAYE 119 4
- HMRC Agent Accounts - PAYE 354 10
- Taxable Benefit for Director? 225 1
- Directors exempt from AE? 1,544 18
- Chart of account segments; Balance sheet vs P&L 747
- Any knowledge of salesorder.com 405
- Could and would anyone here carry out a hot file review of some non statutory audit work please? 354
- Electric Car 289
- S222 Charge 237
- Corporation tax penalties and fines on the CT600 185
- IP trans to holding company 183
- Software to Deal with Amazon and Ebay Sales 171
- AIA 166
- Best way to convert Sage data to VT Transaction+ 164