Investment in partnership - accounting treatment
My client a UK company has invested in a property investment partnership as a limited partner. The partnership has reported a loss for the year and this has been allocated (adjusted for tax purposes) to the partners according to their share.
I have had conflicting views from colleagues regarding the accounting treatment of the investment and apportioned tax losses.
I had originally planned to account for the investment at cost (providing that NRV per the directors is considered to be higher) and to just disclose the apportioned tax losses in the accounts as a note in the corresponding investment note. Accordingly when the partnership starts making a profit then it would seem appropriate to disclose any share of taxable profits apportioned to the company as limited partner and to account for those that are distributed.
Obviously for tax purposes, apportioned tax losses and profits would be included in the company's corporation tax return, with the view that the disclosure in the accounts of these apportioned losses and profits would help readers understand the full picture.
However it seems that some would account for the apportioned losses and profits even if not yet distributed and adjust the carrying value of the investment accordingly.
Is either method acceptable and does anyone know of any point of reference for this?
- do i pay vat when buying a business 108 5
- Professional Clearance 80 2
- Zero Rated Catering delivery charges 34 2
- Introduction of Goodwill 367 7
- Santander Scrip Dividend Scheme 197 3
- Limited Company - Personal Bank Account 3,036 67
- Sage Instant cash based flat rate 118 3
- Working out a daily rate 281 7
- Company overdue but wants to be struck off 593 20
- are receipts needed? 330 11
- New accountant 449 8
- ideas for a bonus scheme for accountants 587 9
- Loss Relief 135 2
- Tax case reference request 214 3
- How to? 144 1
- Cheque alternative - letter to HMRC re undeclared income 173 1
- Amending prior year accounts for the first time? 1,415 25
- Unusual Self Employment Expense Claims? 511 6
- Loan notes payment of principal and interest 112 2
- HMRC VAT misstatement disclosure 225 2
- Skandia using wrong address 1,589
- Nil Rate Band Trust - index linked debt by way of charge over property 885
- International interest certificate 494
- NOVA 349
- Can Limited Company Buy Share of Rental Property? 274
- Have we escaped Gift with Reservation of Benfit & Pre-owned asset charges? - Gift after benefit 255
- Management expenses for investment company 243
- Bonus Bonds 241
- Help with tax codes on Sage 186
- Capital reduction 172