Investment in partnership - accounting treatment
My client a UK company has invested in a property investment partnership as a limited partner. The partnership has reported a loss for the year and this has been allocated (adjusted for tax purposes) to the partners according to their share.
I have had conflicting views from colleagues regarding the accounting treatment of the investment and apportioned tax losses.
I had originally planned to account for the investment at cost (providing that NRV per the directors is considered to be higher) and to just disclose the apportioned tax losses in the accounts as a note in the corresponding investment note. Accordingly when the partnership starts making a profit then it would seem appropriate to disclose any share of taxable profits apportioned to the company as limited partner and to account for those that are distributed.
Obviously for tax purposes, apportioned tax losses and profits would be included in the company's corporation tax return, with the view that the disclosure in the accounts of these apportioned losses and profits would help readers understand the full picture.
However it seems that some would account for the apportioned losses and profits even if not yet distributed and adjust the carrying value of the investment accordingly.
Is either method acceptable and does anyone know of any point of reference for this?
- What is the amount of dividends received as a shareholder that requires registration for self assessment? 27 1
- How do you find shareholders of a Cyprus Company ? 119 10
- EIS/SEIS 118 1
- Amortisation of Goodwill 243 1
- You know its over 111 2
- Cocaine anyone? 389 7
- TaxCalc Accounts production 380 5
- Depression - HMRC penalties case won because of this illness. 380 12
- Solicitors now, Accountants next 632 10
- How come if you claim benefits you are not entitled to you either have to pay a 50% penalty or are sent to court and either fined or sent to prison (sometimes suspended) and end up with a criminal record. 505 10
- ACCA - still making me laugh 525 4
- Valuing my fast-growing internet business for transfer of goodwill on incorporation 52 1
- Personal pension 383 9
- Legal Aid Agency claims and VAT 210 1
- How much of your work is admin? 1,190 11
- Accountancy practices - are you closed over Christmas or do you let your staff take it off? 884 27
- Petrol expenses for self-employed 103 3
- Is Co House "losing" Abbreviated Accounts? 1,502 22
- Holding Company - Ltd or PLC? 306 4
- can anyone recommend Turkish speaking accountants in London 274 1
- Hive up 479
- Accounting referance change & deficient accounts. 442
- corporate hierarchy 421
- Advice - 259
- Anyone had HMRC refusing to act on EPS database glitch? 216
- WWOOFers 208
- Co. limited by Guarantee now closed 197
- Art Gallery - Splitting a property between business and personal use 186
- Mutual Trading - Exempt CT Income - Do I need clearance? 168
- Tax liabilities in USA for warehoused products 164