Investment in partnership - accounting treatment
My client a UK company has invested in a property investment partnership as a limited partner. The partnership has reported a loss for the year and this has been allocated (adjusted for tax purposes) to the partners according to their share.
I have had conflicting views from colleagues regarding the accounting treatment of the investment and apportioned tax losses.
I had originally planned to account for the investment at cost (providing that NRV per the directors is considered to be higher) and to just disclose the apportioned tax losses in the accounts as a note in the corresponding investment note. Accordingly when the partnership starts making a profit then it would seem appropriate to disclose any share of taxable profits apportioned to the company as limited partner and to account for those that are distributed.
Obviously for tax purposes, apportioned tax losses and profits would be included in the company's corporation tax return, with the view that the disclosure in the accounts of these apportioned losses and profits would help readers understand the full picture.
However it seems that some would account for the apportioned losses and profits even if not yet distributed and adjust the carrying value of the investment accordingly.
Is either method acceptable and does anyone know of any point of reference for this?
- VAT GUIDE - 22-25 AGENTS OR EQUIVALENT 341 6
- HMRC Getting Extra Tough? 1,452 12
- Output tax for retailer 213 5
- HMRC Unpaid Debt Collector 332 7
- Formating cells in Excel 123 2
- PPR for non-residents after 05 Apr 2015 162 4
- What expenses to claim for painter/decorator working from home base 120 2
- Takeover of Annual PAYE scheme 166 3
- Relocation expense claim 126 1
- ICAS GPPM 84 1
- Payroll 276 7
- Buying fees 712 5
- IHT Query 450 11
- Audit and paypal balances 187 7
- Missing C79 170 5
- Tax relief for backdated pension contributions 499 16
- VAT margin scheme 277 14
- Partnership Tax Return £100 penalty-was a tax return due in this case? 331 8
- How to walk away without questions 2,771 17
- Get it off your chest 280 4
- Possible Partnership? 562
- Lunatics in charge of the asylum - Bluestone 558
- Tax and accounting treatment on long lease granted from freehold 485
- New Fangled Penalties 362
- Clubs and Taxable Income 297
- Purchase of property freehold - capitalisation of costs 281
- Loans to other companies 224
- Closed PAYE schemes and auto enrolment 217
- Lenovo – Superfish & Komodia – is your PC vulnerable 185
- Outsource Data Entry 183