Investment in partnership - accounting treatment
My client a UK company has invested in a property investment partnership as a limited partner. The partnership has reported a loss for the year and this has been allocated (adjusted for tax purposes) to the partners according to their share.
I have had conflicting views from colleagues regarding the accounting treatment of the investment and apportioned tax losses.
I had originally planned to account for the investment at cost (providing that NRV per the directors is considered to be higher) and to just disclose the apportioned tax losses in the accounts as a note in the corresponding investment note. Accordingly when the partnership starts making a profit then it would seem appropriate to disclose any share of taxable profits apportioned to the company as limited partner and to account for those that are distributed.
Obviously for tax purposes, apportioned tax losses and profits would be included in the company's corporation tax return, with the view that the disclosure in the accounts of these apportioned losses and profits would help readers understand the full picture.
However it seems that some would account for the apportioned losses and profits even if not yet distributed and adjust the carrying value of the investment accordingly.
Is either method acceptable and does anyone know of any point of reference for this?
- Finding a Company UTR for a newly formed company 127 1
- Recomendations for a purchase order management book please? 125 1
- Instant CPD offer 285 4
- Cash basis 517 13
- Income from rent charged to business 127 2
- payroll software 369 3
- CIMA accountant wants to start consultancy 441 5
- Statutory sick pay 308 4
- Dividend in specie 369 9
- Complicated Company car purchase 220 2
- Ltd Company Buying Own Shares and Transferring Assets 175 3
- Retail vat schemes for a restaurant 145 1
- Rental Property W&T And Equipment 274 1
- Legislation access for part-time sole practitioner? 294 1
- Ownership of land - declaration of trust 168 3
- Fee base v staff ratio 388 6
- NIC thresholds - two employments 1,857 27
- Statutory Accounts - Dividends Disclosure Note 335 3
- Unincorporated organistion ceasing to exist 258 2
- Gift in kind to charity by company: services 110 1
- Skandia using wrong address 576
- Does anyone use PS Financials accounting software out there? 308
- FHL, period of grace and Entrepreneur's relief 307
- Employee rewards 289
- Gift of reversion and lease into trust by two different people - later PPR 256
- EPS Analysis - Change to EURO 228
- Etax Australian 188
- LLP in Construction Industry 155
- Selling On Amazon & Calculatign Prices/Vat 132
- Interest and late payment charges HMRC 131