Investment in partnership - accounting treatment
My client a UK company has invested in a property investment partnership as a limited partner. The partnership has reported a loss for the year and this has been allocated (adjusted for tax purposes) to the partners according to their share.
I have had conflicting views from colleagues regarding the accounting treatment of the investment and apportioned tax losses.
I had originally planned to account for the investment at cost (providing that NRV per the directors is considered to be higher) and to just disclose the apportioned tax losses in the accounts as a note in the corresponding investment note. Accordingly when the partnership starts making a profit then it would seem appropriate to disclose any share of taxable profits apportioned to the company as limited partner and to account for those that are distributed.
Obviously for tax purposes, apportioned tax losses and profits would be included in the company's corporation tax return, with the view that the disclosure in the accounts of these apportioned losses and profits would help readers understand the full picture.
However it seems that some would account for the apportioned losses and profits even if not yet distributed and adjust the carrying value of the investment accordingly.
Is either method acceptable and does anyone know of any point of reference for this?
- TaxCalc - A Return to Form 332 4
- FPS or EPS 106 2
- I have let a client go as it wasnt worth the hassle, 1,973 17
- Can I record depreciation, prepayments and accrued expenses in cash accounting? 227 3
- Continuity of Practice 156 2
- IRIS Professional Yearend 109 2
- Letting Agents - requirement for audit of clients accounts 303 10
- Scams are not always obvious 2,178 34
- Financial statements accounting policies 239 5
- Does Members voluntary liquidation require change of year end 143 3
- Market Value/Connected Persons 288 10
- Online Downtime 331 4
- P60 from HMRC Basic Paye Tools 322 3
- What do you all do in your spare time? 784 31
- Personal allowance 671 15
- How do we get US withholding tax back? 172 2
- Google contacts sharing within our domain 444 6
- New Fangled Penalties 1,120 1
- New client has not reported director's pay by RTI 406 10
- VAT on employee loan 307 5
- Moving away from CCH software 944
- QROP pension input amounts 435
- write off loan or loan to equity swap or both 377
- HMRC BENCHMARK EXPENSES 352
- Unused Losses and Post Cessation Receipts 320
- fraud 276
- EIS relief on transferring shares to spouse 250
- Sole trade business in UK, but the owner works from EU 219
- Construction CIS LLP Company 207
- EPS and CIS deductions 192