IR35 Compliance for fiancee's contracting
I run a small limited company which is primarily used for my own contracting work and that of my fiancee.
I have completed several contracts for software development over the course of the year and have continued to bring in earnings into the company. Recently my fiancee started working through the company on a short term content manager position. This work was found through an agency who we bill directly, we have no specific contract with the client that the agency found. My fiancee has the power to change her days and hours at will (obviously checking with the client first), and has exercised this moving from 4 days to 3 and 2 day working weeks depending on her availability. She currently has no other work, but is spending time on other things (wedding and study). She has been operating in this position now for a little over 3 months, and expects it to end sometime early in the new year, though the date is as yet undecided since the client is trying to hire a full time employee to fill the position. It was always made clear that the position was temporary and was just to fill-in while they tried to find an employee to take the position on.
For further background: I pay myself a maximum of £600 per month, and pay her £400 to avoid national insurance payments since we don't intend to remain resident in the UK for much longer (we are UK passport holders, but intend to emigrate soon). We were advised to do this by our accountant. The rest we pay out in dividends to myself as I am the only shareholder.
I am concerned that without a clear contract stating substitution she will fall foul of IR35.
What advice would you offer? Should we demand the agency draw up a contract with a substitution clause?
Any help you could offer would be great, thankyou.
- Tax treatment of gift of expensive watch 505 11
- 2 companies, one payroll 216 8
- The importance of Grammar 1,853 55
- Can you have two types of sales? Sales with VAT and Sale without VAT? 110 1
- Complicated situation with very old balances from previous accountant 599 12
- Freelance/Employee 403 10
- Freehold management company 149 3
- Finding mobile numbers for clients we have lost contact with 244 3
- Volontaire International en Entreprise (VIE) 216 6
- System selection 237 3
- Student Loan Box in Year Repaid 131 1
- Director Liability 135 2
- Salary Sacrifice andy subsistence payments 169 4
- How do I answer a W-8BEN-E question (USA IRS) 387 4
- exemptions from CIS 264 6
- Directors exempt from AE? 586 10
- Xero Pain Points 659 20
- Impairment in value of subsidiary - allowable? 285 13
- Client Require Tax Return and Profit and Loss for Housing Benefit claim 264 2
- VAT - How hard is it? 1,711 56
- Any knowledge of salesorder.com 394
- Chart of account segments; Balance sheet vs P&L 357
- Could and would anyone here carry out a hot file review of some non statutory audit work please? 338
- Goodwill and the Summer 2015 Budget 319
- Electric Car 267
- S222 Charge 231
- What is the best acounting software for online international retail business? 230
- Company Structure 208
- Travel and Subsistence Expenses 174
- IP trans to holding company 169