IR35 Compliance for fiancee's contracting
I run a small limited company which is primarily used for my own contracting work and that of my fiancee.
I have completed several contracts for software development over the course of the year and have continued to bring in earnings into the company. Recently my fiancee started working through the company on a short term content manager position. This work was found through an agency who we bill directly, we have no specific contract with the client that the agency found. My fiancee has the power to change her days and hours at will (obviously checking with the client first), and has exercised this moving from 4 days to 3 and 2 day working weeks depending on her availability. She currently has no other work, but is spending time on other things (wedding and study). She has been operating in this position now for a little over 3 months, and expects it to end sometime early in the new year, though the date is as yet undecided since the client is trying to hire a full time employee to fill the position. It was always made clear that the position was temporary and was just to fill-in while they tried to find an employee to take the position on.
For further background: I pay myself a maximum of £600 per month, and pay her £400 to avoid national insurance payments since we don't intend to remain resident in the UK for much longer (we are UK passport holders, but intend to emigrate soon). We were advised to do this by our accountant. The rest we pay out in dividends to myself as I am the only shareholder.
I am concerned that without a clear contract stating substitution she will fall foul of IR35.
What advice would you offer? Should we demand the agency draw up a contract with a substitution clause?
Any help you could offer would be great, thankyou.
- Company Accounts 408 8
- What is the role of an accountant? 281 8
- Shutting down a company with creditors 1,291 22
- QuickBooks - Separating expenses from purchases 63 2
- Lexis Nexis 3 Month Cancellation Notice 269 7
- Out of Date Returns, CIS and Determination 31 2
- EIS/SEIS capital gains exemption 183 4
- VAT on introducer fees 106 2
- Investor wants shares. How does that work? 35 2
- Pay-slip date & Pay-ment Date 169 12
- Statutory Maternity Pay (SMP) 311 18
- Scottish but not UK 266 7
- Pension Contributions Relief 254 9
- VAT Fuel Scale Charge for Fuel on Private/Personal Car 279 5
- Any Scottish members out there? 10,152 362
- CIS 336 11
- Difference of Sales Invoices and Bank receipts for Sales 110 5
- Sole Trade - Losses B/Fwd 283 14
- Construction Industry Scheme Age Limit 107 3
- P11D Query 116 3
- Raiders of the Lost Tax File 1,220
- Chartered Accountant in County Down N.Ireland 427
- National Insurance 326
- IPP (International Pension Plan) income 319
- Non Resident 250
- Unnecessary S9A Enquiries 250
- Cass 5 FCA Client Money Software recomendation 239
- A question for the payroll-only bureau's out there 222
- Franchise income and costs 219
- Tax on interest received from insurance company 154