IR35 Compliance for fiancee's contracting
I run a small limited company which is primarily used for my own contracting work and that of my fiancee.
I have completed several contracts for software development over the course of the year and have continued to bring in earnings into the company. Recently my fiancee started working through the company on a short term content manager position. This work was found through an agency who we bill directly, we have no specific contract with the client that the agency found. My fiancee has the power to change her days and hours at will (obviously checking with the client first), and has exercised this moving from 4 days to 3 and 2 day working weeks depending on her availability. She currently has no other work, but is spending time on other things (wedding and study). She has been operating in this position now for a little over 3 months, and expects it to end sometime early in the new year, though the date is as yet undecided since the client is trying to hire a full time employee to fill the position. It was always made clear that the position was temporary and was just to fill-in while they tried to find an employee to take the position on.
For further background: I pay myself a maximum of £600 per month, and pay her £400 to avoid national insurance payments since we don't intend to remain resident in the UK for much longer (we are UK passport holders, but intend to emigrate soon). We were advised to do this by our accountant. The rest we pay out in dividends to myself as I am the only shareholder.
I am concerned that without a clear contract stating substitution she will fall foul of IR35.
What advice would you offer? Should we demand the agency draw up a contract with a substitution clause?
Any help you could offer would be great, thankyou.
- Offsetting CIS tax suffered against CT 193 8
- VAT on motor expenses 923 34
- A change from the old Q v NQ debate 422 14
- ideas for a bonus scheme for accountants 484 8
- Why do HMRC have a different FPS liability to the amount I sent? 1,742 23
- another ir35!!!! 1,186 8
- Sage Payroll with 'employees' not having tax or NI deducted 120 2
- Money transfers between companies owned by one person 242 11
- Limited Company - Personal Bank Account 2,394 42
- Sage 50 142 1
- Cleaners wages at small church -PAYE or self employed ? 245 5
- Associated companies - CT small profits relief 208 9
- Introduction of Goodwill 260 6
- How to account fot Cross-border vat. 132 2
- Sage 50 (2010) 143 3
- sole trader - operating under cis 124 2
- What does it mean?? 399 11
- Paint Manufacturer Flat Rate Scheme 295 13
- Entrepreneurs' relief for trustees - receipt of rent 149 3
- PayPal Transaction Analysis 180 4
- Skandia using wrong address 1,552
- Nil Rate Band Trust - index linked debt by way of charge over property 855
- International interest certificate 473
- NOVA 330
- Subby expenses subject to tax & NI? 239
- Can Limited Company Buy Share of Rental Property? 229
- DOUBLE TAXATION RELIEF BETWEEN A PRIVATE LTD COMPANY AND GREECE (the private Ltd has no employees and its main activity is 214
- Management expenses for investment company 213
- Bonus Bonds 211
- Have we escaped Gift with Reservation of Benfit & Pre-owned asset charges? - Gift after benefit 196