IR35 Compliance for fiancee's contracting
I run a small limited company which is primarily used for my own contracting work and that of my fiancee.
I have completed several contracts for software development over the course of the year and have continued to bring in earnings into the company. Recently my fiancee started working through the company on a short term content manager position. This work was found through an agency who we bill directly, we have no specific contract with the client that the agency found. My fiancee has the power to change her days and hours at will (obviously checking with the client first), and has exercised this moving from 4 days to 3 and 2 day working weeks depending on her availability. She currently has no other work, but is spending time on other things (wedding and study). She has been operating in this position now for a little over 3 months, and expects it to end sometime early in the new year, though the date is as yet undecided since the client is trying to hire a full time employee to fill the position. It was always made clear that the position was temporary and was just to fill-in while they tried to find an employee to take the position on.
For further background: I pay myself a maximum of £600 per month, and pay her £400 to avoid national insurance payments since we don't intend to remain resident in the UK for much longer (we are UK passport holders, but intend to emigrate soon). We were advised to do this by our accountant. The rest we pay out in dividends to myself as I am the only shareholder.
I am concerned that without a clear contract stating substitution she will fall foul of IR35.
What advice would you offer? Should we demand the agency draw up a contract with a substitution clause?
Any help you could offer would be great, thankyou.
- Moneysoft update problem 61 1
- HMRC stupidity of the day 259 3
- Newly Started Practice 768 15
- Directors obligation to notify 216 2
- Bookkeeping software for cafe and VAT 227 4
- Clients 816 17
- Practice Company Secretarial Software recommendations please 265 5
- Lets hear it for HMRC! 366 3
- Don't HMRC collect CT anymore? 320 2
- Sage Payroll 190 4
- PAYROLL - SAGE v Microsoft Payroll Manager 186 3
- Client's company struck off 970 19
- Simplified auto enrolment? 266 2
- Tax and children 219 1
- ACCA, ACPA, IFA, ICPA 608 8
- Does SMP and SPP go up if leave goes across 2 tax years? 408 16
- Starting new accounting business 381 6
- Leaving the flat rate scheme 175 4
- error on companies house accounts 797 18
- RTI penalties 186 1
- QROP pension input amounts 506
- HMRC BENCHMARK EXPENSES 493
- write off loan or loan to equity swap or both 451
- EPS and CIS deductions 313
- Sole trade business in UK, but the owner works from EU 299
- Construction CIS LLP Company 292
- Stamp duty on house transfer between spouses 257
- SAGE winforecast 210
- LIVE: Budget aftermath webinar 196
- Tax Investigation - Employee Travel 189