IR35 Compliance for fiancee's contracting
I run a small limited company which is primarily used for my own contracting work and that of my fiancee.
I have completed several contracts for software development over the course of the year and have continued to bring in earnings into the company. Recently my fiancee started working through the company on a short term content manager position. This work was found through an agency who we bill directly, we have no specific contract with the client that the agency found. My fiancee has the power to change her days and hours at will (obviously checking with the client first), and has exercised this moving from 4 days to 3 and 2 day working weeks depending on her availability. She currently has no other work, but is spending time on other things (wedding and study). She has been operating in this position now for a little over 3 months, and expects it to end sometime early in the new year, though the date is as yet undecided since the client is trying to hire a full time employee to fill the position. It was always made clear that the position was temporary and was just to fill-in while they tried to find an employee to take the position on.
For further background: I pay myself a maximum of £600 per month, and pay her £400 to avoid national insurance payments since we don't intend to remain resident in the UK for much longer (we are UK passport holders, but intend to emigrate soon). We were advised to do this by our accountant. The rest we pay out in dividends to myself as I am the only shareholder.
I am concerned that without a clear contract stating substitution she will fall foul of IR35.
What advice would you offer? Should we demand the agency draw up a contract with a substitution clause?
Any help you could offer would be great, thankyou.
- Please tell me what to do!! 124 4
- Company buy back of shares from directors 103 4
- 5th April 108 3
- Finding a Company UTR for a newly formed company 247 2
- NIC thresholds - two employments 1,963 32
- Investor exit 223 4
- client threatening legal action 2,264 31
- When & How much of Income to recognise 97 2
- Cash basis 100 4
- What are the options for writing off a Directors Credit balance 206 3
- 1 investor and 1 director 50% shareholding each advice please 332 14
- Cash basis 746 27
- Undeclared rental income 2,554 23
- Desperate IFAs and Auto-enrolment Scare stories 533 23
- Partnership registered in error. No activities with view to profit. 325 9
- Rental income 125 2
- s455 Directors loan 183 3
- Insurance for Company Ltd. by Guarantee 70 1
- Incorrect penalty warning letters sent 1,183 8
- Non resident capital gains 92 1
- Skandia using wrong address 603
- FHL, period of grace and Entrepreneur's relief 325
- Employee rewards 302
- Gift of reversion and lease into trust by two different people - later PPR 271
- EPS Analysis - Change to EURO 237
- Etax Australian 199
- LLP in Construction Industry 162
- Selling On Amazon & Calculatign Prices/Vat 150
- Interest and late payment charges HMRC 139
- Re-submitting CT600 on paper 132