IR35 Compliance for fiancee's contracting
I run a small limited company which is primarily used for my own contracting work and that of my fiancee.
I have completed several contracts for software development over the course of the year and have continued to bring in earnings into the company. Recently my fiancee started working through the company on a short term content manager position. This work was found through an agency who we bill directly, we have no specific contract with the client that the agency found. My fiancee has the power to change her days and hours at will (obviously checking with the client first), and has exercised this moving from 4 days to 3 and 2 day working weeks depending on her availability. She currently has no other work, but is spending time on other things (wedding and study). She has been operating in this position now for a little over 3 months, and expects it to end sometime early in the new year, though the date is as yet undecided since the client is trying to hire a full time employee to fill the position. It was always made clear that the position was temporary and was just to fill-in while they tried to find an employee to take the position on.
For further background: I pay myself a maximum of £600 per month, and pay her £400 to avoid national insurance payments since we don't intend to remain resident in the UK for much longer (we are UK passport holders, but intend to emigrate soon). We were advised to do this by our accountant. The rest we pay out in dividends to myself as I am the only shareholder.
I am concerned that without a clear contract stating substitution she will fall foul of IR35.
What advice would you offer? Should we demand the agency draw up a contract with a substitution clause?
Any help you could offer would be great, thankyou.
- How much of your work is admin? 611 5
- TaxCalc Accounts production 85 1
- HMRC BACK AND FORTH FIGHT ON BTL PROPERTY ALLOWANCES 42 1
- Nominal Ledger 378 11
- Gave wrong info to client about tax due 546 20
- Running two businesses from the same premises 384 4
- Fines for filing 12 months of FPS on one submission 191 2
- Base value unavailable re. Capital Gain 179 2
- Old CGT loss 199 3
- Gov.UK = NOT OK! 157 3
- Paper tax return 144 4
- Start up allowance? 370 12
- Will I need to resign? 163 1
- Invest in ''buy to let'' property 1,350 41
- Penalty for late PAYE registration? 243 3
- AIA or IFA 448 7
- Surely not? 453 10
- Batch input of data to Xero - is there an app? 637 9
- Working out private usage for a Taxi Driver? 357 7
- Late Registration for VAT 359 11