IR35 Compliance for fiancee's contracting
I run a small limited company which is primarily used for my own contracting work and that of my fiancee.
I have completed several contracts for software development over the course of the year and have continued to bring in earnings into the company. Recently my fiancee started working through the company on a short term content manager position. This work was found through an agency who we bill directly, we have no specific contract with the client that the agency found. My fiancee has the power to change her days and hours at will (obviously checking with the client first), and has exercised this moving from 4 days to 3 and 2 day working weeks depending on her availability. She currently has no other work, but is spending time on other things (wedding and study). She has been operating in this position now for a little over 3 months, and expects it to end sometime early in the new year, though the date is as yet undecided since the client is trying to hire a full time employee to fill the position. It was always made clear that the position was temporary and was just to fill-in while they tried to find an employee to take the position on.
For further background: I pay myself a maximum of £600 per month, and pay her £400 to avoid national insurance payments since we don't intend to remain resident in the UK for much longer (we are UK passport holders, but intend to emigrate soon). We were advised to do this by our accountant. The rest we pay out in dividends to myself as I am the only shareholder.
I am concerned that without a clear contract stating substitution she will fall foul of IR35.
What advice would you offer? Should we demand the agency draw up a contract with a substitution clause?
Any help you could offer would be great, thankyou.
- Buying a company for £20,000 from owner how it works? 584 9
- 31st october deadline 354 6
- Property gift to sister 71 4
- RTI Late Registration query 132 1
- Treatment of one-off payments to non-employees 210 2
- Payroll software 130 1
- Who gets the CGT deduction 205 2
- Accounting for display stands 227 7
- Companies House Search 291 3
- VAT training 244 4
- Letter saying client is IR35 compliant 251 3
- Is it any of my business ? 1,508 15
- VAT Flat Rate Scheme 295 3
- A Friday Funny. 309 5
- Something for the weekend? 243 5
- Moneysoft Payroll 553 12
- Practicing without a Practicing Certificate 1,249 19
- How much do you charge for Accountant's Reference? 2,537 26
- Coming out of flat rate 154 1
- Has Microsoft taken a huge bite out of Apple 1,601 27
- NHS finance professionals 707
- Auto Enrolment and Foreign employers 429
- Foreign Pension Contribution 401
- Pre Season Invoice dated September how do you treat the VAT as not due until May 16 383
- Employee's statement of sickness (SC2) form - no longer available as downloadable pdf 383
- SWAT AML v Anti Money Laundering Compliance Plus (AMLCP) 336
- Does pension term assurance count for unused relief purposes? 301
- Management reporting dashboards and cloud accounting 278
- IFA income recognition & reporting 224
- Incorporating doctors 217