IR35 Compliance for fiancee's contracting
I run a small limited company which is primarily used for my own contracting work and that of my fiancee.
I have completed several contracts for software development over the course of the year and have continued to bring in earnings into the company. Recently my fiancee started working through the company on a short term content manager position. This work was found through an agency who we bill directly, we have no specific contract with the client that the agency found. My fiancee has the power to change her days and hours at will (obviously checking with the client first), and has exercised this moving from 4 days to 3 and 2 day working weeks depending on her availability. She currently has no other work, but is spending time on other things (wedding and study). She has been operating in this position now for a little over 3 months, and expects it to end sometime early in the new year, though the date is as yet undecided since the client is trying to hire a full time employee to fill the position. It was always made clear that the position was temporary and was just to fill-in while they tried to find an employee to take the position on.
For further background: I pay myself a maximum of £600 per month, and pay her £400 to avoid national insurance payments since we don't intend to remain resident in the UK for much longer (we are UK passport holders, but intend to emigrate soon). We were advised to do this by our accountant. The rest we pay out in dividends to myself as I am the only shareholder.
I am concerned that without a clear contract stating substitution she will fall foul of IR35.
What advice would you offer? Should we demand the agency draw up a contract with a substitution clause?
Any help you could offer would be great, thankyou.
- Xmas party 101 1
- Just because it's Friday 264 6
- Playstation 4 - Allowable expense or not? 3,352 66
- Inheritance Tax - Simple Question 135 4
- Non-resident employer & employee 104 4
- Capital Allowances 147 4
- equipment rental 219 10
- Acquisition by company 103 5
- Non sequitur 532 7
- Client using boyfriend's personal account 1,481 23
- R&D on products not sold 99 3
- Distance between Postcodes in Excel 899 13
- Tech Champion of the Year 233 5
- Under Cash Accounting rules how do I account for a credit note issued outside the Corp Tax period? 194 4
- Quirky thread of the year: Community Awards 638 9
- Transfer of land to family members 89 2
- The complete uselessness of the British banking system 584 11
- The process of issuing dividend? 207 6
- Not registered for VAT. Germany wants proof! 230 5
- Pattern for CTA 321 7
- Desperately seeking Susan, Sam or anyone with any other name 1,364
- Darwinpay Partnership Assessment 436
- Alphabet shares 238
- Agent fees to sell business 230
- ACCA continuity of practice arrangement needed 226
- Charge out rates in London 179
- How to reclaim VAT for a non-EC UK visitor 168
- which entity 150
- UK tax regime 'attractive' to investors, says KPMG 142
- confusion about 140