Late Filing Penalty Problems
Interesting post this morning.
Two clients (more to follow?) where we successfully appealed against late filing penalties (because 2011 Returns should never have been issued in the first place) have received £580 penalties for late filing. These have been calculated at 58 days x £10 per day from 3 months after the paper return filing deadline.
It seems to me that HMRC have somehow logged the Returns as "received" when they accepted that Returns shouldn't have been issued and their systems have picked this up as being a late paper return - originally due in 31/10/11.
I'm now left having to waste more (unchargeable) time fending off clients who are being pusued for a hefty penalty they don't owe and get HMRC to cancel this and, maybe, apologise to the client.
It beggars belief - roll on retirement.
- FPS or EPS 23 1
- What do you all do in your spare time? 744 31
- Can I record depreciation, prepayments and accrued expenses in cash accounting? 158 2
- Personal allowance 650 15
- How do we get US withholding tax back? 147 2
- I have let a client go as it wasnt worth the hassle, 1,898 16
- Does Members voluntary liquidation require change of year end 104 2
- Google contacts sharing within our domain 421 6
- New Fangled Penalties 1,105 1
- TaxCalc - A Return to Form 288 3
- New client has not reported director's pay by RTI 379 10
- VAT on employee loan 298 5
- Taking over from an on-line accounting firm. Any ideas? 956 18
- Charging VAT on a company loan ?. 155 2
- Accountants website 393 5
- VAT on long lease in comercial property that has opted to Tax 174 5
- So who has completed a 2015 tax return then? 484 8
- Threshold company limited by guarantee. 107 1
- Retrospective VAT Claim 123 1
- Auto Enrolment - Director Only Answer 1,417 20
- Moving away from CCH software 940
- QROP pension input amounts 433
- write off loan or loan to equity swap or both 375
- HMRC BENCHMARK EXPENSES 348
- Unused Losses and Post Cessation Receipts 314
- fraud 273
- EIS relief on transferring shares to spouse 243
- Sole trade business in UK, but the owner works from EU 215
- Construction CIS LLP Company 200
- EPS and CIS deductions 188