Late Filing Penalty Problems
Interesting post this morning.
Two clients (more to follow?) where we successfully appealed against late filing penalties (because 2011 Returns should never have been issued in the first place) have received £580 penalties for late filing. These have been calculated at 58 days x £10 per day from 3 months after the paper return filing deadline.
It seems to me that HMRC have somehow logged the Returns as "received" when they accepted that Returns shouldn't have been issued and their systems have picked this up as being a late paper return - originally due in 31/10/11.
I'm now left having to waste more (unchargeable) time fending off clients who are being pusued for a hefty penalty they don't owe and get HMRC to cancel this and, maybe, apologise to the client.
It beggars belief - roll on retirement.
- Payroll software : RTI submissions 275 15
- Value pricing 557 19
- Fee's for P11D's 250 4
- One man Company and closing payroll scheme as none paid 373 1
- Childcare Vouchers 158 3
- Quarterly PAYE 157 6
- Audit Report Query 174 5
- Coming in from the cold 182 2
- Employment Allowance related companies 67 2
- What password safe app does anyone recommend? 1,286 26
- VAT Query re: Foreign VAT 62 1
- Should design costs be capitalised? 125 3
- Issuing an invoice as an individual (non UK resident) 65 1
- Thats Better 259 6
- reporting salary? 132 2
- apprentices 87 1
- Sage Payroll 253 10
- VAT 145 2
- Belated VAT Exception Application 223 7
- Enforcing A CCJ 255 6
- Residential Property Purchase Above £750K 763
- Using Sage with Sofa Categories 519
- Does anyone have an unwanted ICAEW wooden plaque? 389
- Goods shipped inter EU and VAT Reporting 273
- Non-Resident Director - UK Tax Position? 213
- Sage 200 and Access Dimensions reviews 212
- transferring simply accounting 2010 from xp to windows 7 195
- Director Loan account operation 194
- vat return 163
- Paye procedures for CVA 150