Late Filing Penalty Problems
Interesting post this morning.
Two clients (more to follow?) where we successfully appealed against late filing penalties (because 2011 Returns should never have been issued in the first place) have received £580 penalties for late filing. These have been calculated at 58 days x £10 per day from 3 months after the paper return filing deadline.
It seems to me that HMRC have somehow logged the Returns as "received" when they accepted that Returns shouldn't have been issued and their systems have picked this up as being a late paper return - originally due in 31/10/11.
I'm now left having to waste more (unchargeable) time fending off clients who are being pusued for a hefty penalty they don't owe and get HMRC to cancel this and, maybe, apologise to the client.
It beggars belief - roll on retirement.
- What code do you put expenses under such as tea & coffee? 174 4
- capital gains on PPR 231 13
- Treatment of goodwill in Consolidation 347 13
- Claiming depreciation on a company vehicle 154 7
- Any Scottish members out there? 11,781 441
- WHAT IS THE BEST WAY TAX EFFICIENT WAY TO SELL 40% SHARES IN YOUR START UP BUSINESS FOR APPROXIMATELY 1 MILLION POUNDS 128 2
- Now Scotland has voted "No", when does England get to vote? 1,285 62
- Company expansion 79 1
- Do I need a 13digit tax ref for a ct600 368 6
- Pension Contributions Relief 489 15
- Is there an expert in Excel out there? 515 8
- 100% Xero practice 2,472 46
- Fees for Property Tax Return 241 6
- Can I calculate a total amount on my freelance tax relief? 166 1
- Separating business for VAT purposes 152 2
- Underpaid Tax Options on SE 293 9
- PRR 365 13
- 40% rule for travel expenses 405 11
- Cash injection by shareholder 317 7
- Private portion of costs and expenses in Accounts 441 20
- Raiders of the Lost Tax File 1,314
- Chartered Accountant in County Down N.Ireland 480
- National Insurance 369
- Non Resident 296
- Franchise income and costs 261
- Hands on experience of Digita 214
- Best way to take money from a business if you have unlimited EIS allowances? 192
- Employer's Helpline 165
- employment capital allowances 161
- CIS paid under reg 9 157