Late Filing Penalty Problems
Interesting post this morning.
Two clients (more to follow?) where we successfully appealed against late filing penalties (because 2011 Returns should never have been issued in the first place) have received £580 penalties for late filing. These have been calculated at 58 days x £10 per day from 3 months after the paper return filing deadline.
It seems to me that HMRC have somehow logged the Returns as "received" when they accepted that Returns shouldn't have been issued and their systems have picked this up as being a late paper return - originally due in 31/10/11.
I'm now left having to waste more (unchargeable) time fending off clients who are being pusued for a hefty penalty they don't owe and get HMRC to cancel this and, maybe, apologise to the client.
It beggars belief - roll on retirement.
- UK resident director of a non resident company 66 1
- 2020 Annual Conference 179 4
- Employee leaving mid month and Payroll Manager 1,239 27
- VAT admin query 133 1
- Professional Clearance 1,237 30
- How much do you charge for Accountant's Reference? 1,474 14
- At what point is the sales? 75 1
- Past rental expenses 338 6
- Let Property Campaign - Joint Owner Died 139 3
- Are there any auto-enrolment engagement letter templates? 1,485 35
- Accountant let me down 657 6
- Client right to working papers 1,438 10
- Growth Street 189 2
- Client has two UTRS, How do you get HMRC to correct this? 265 9
- Microsoft One Drive 631 23
- SA302's - What's the deal? 512 8
- Online Back Up 295 7
- Filing a company valuation with HMRC 136 1
- Financial Advisor / Mortgage Brokering 147 1
- Vat application refused 238 1
- NHS finance professionals 634
- Auto Enrolment and Foreign employers 401
- Foreign Pension Contribution 369
- Employee's statement of sickness (SC2) form - no longer available as downloadable pdf 345
- vat gross profit percentage margins 344
- Pre Season Invoice dated September how do you treat the VAT as not due until May 16 322
- Quickbooks online filing of VAT 301
- SWAT AML v Anti Money Laundering Compliance Plus (AMLCP) 291
- Does pension term assurance count for unused relief purposes? 250
- IFA income recognition & reporting 209