Late Filing Penalty Problems
Interesting post this morning.
Two clients (more to follow?) where we successfully appealed against late filing penalties (because 2011 Returns should never have been issued in the first place) have received £580 penalties for late filing. These have been calculated at 58 days x £10 per day from 3 months after the paper return filing deadline.
It seems to me that HMRC have somehow logged the Returns as "received" when they accepted that Returns shouldn't have been issued and their systems have picked this up as being a late paper return - originally due in 31/10/11.
I'm now left having to waste more (unchargeable) time fending off clients who are being pusued for a hefty penalty they don't owe and get HMRC to cancel this and, maybe, apologise to the client.
It beggars belief - roll on retirement.
- Corporation Tax Software 373 11
- Partnership Tax Return £100 penalty-was a tax return due in this case? 650 18
- How to end partnership for HMRC 65 1
- Auto enrolment 103 1
- First year's sole trader accounts and 2014/2015 tax return 88 1
- Electric Vehicle company car battery rental - how is it taxed? 79 4
- Regular Director bonus 430 11
- Careers advice - is it worth moving from an SME to a corporate? 141 1
- Registration as self-employed 107 1
- BrightPay 1,086 35
- HMRC Summons for £14k 516 7
- SA REFUND; DEFRAUDED BY UNKNOWN PARTY 333 5
- Footballers Testimonials Taxable? 1,088 17
- Clients have been told I'm working from home 968 13
- BIK for an electric car 158 2
- New Practice - Accounting Software 3,624 90
- How do I save face? 2,342 14
- Goodie bag 3,088 72
- US Pensions and Renunciation of Citizenship 115 1
- How many associated companies 194 2
- Possible Partnership? 685
- Tax and accounting treatment on long lease granted from freehold 533
- Fuming! 511
- New Fangled Penalties 466
- Purchase of property freehold - capitalisation of costs 332
- Charity dissolution and newly merged charity 273
- Moving away from CCH software 263
- Lenovo – Superfish & Komodia – is your PC vulnerable 256
- Outsource Data Entry 253
- Do I need a US Tax Identification Number to complete W-8BEN-E? 206