Late Filing Penalty Problems
Interesting post this morning.
Two clients (more to follow?) where we successfully appealed against late filing penalties (because 2011 Returns should never have been issued in the first place) have received £580 penalties for late filing. These have been calculated at 58 days x £10 per day from 3 months after the paper return filing deadline.
It seems to me that HMRC have somehow logged the Returns as "received" when they accepted that Returns shouldn't have been issued and their systems have picked this up as being a late paper return - originally due in 31/10/11.
I'm now left having to waste more (unchargeable) time fending off clients who are being pusued for a hefty penalty they don't owe and get HMRC to cancel this and, maybe, apologise to the client.
It beggars belief - roll on retirement.
- Investment properties/freehold land 21 1
- Anybody still doing returns? 421 19
- Capital Loss 51 3
- HMRC filing meltdown? 776 25
- HMRC Sends Derbyshire pensioner Doug Yeomans tax demand for £4.7 BILLION! 641 14
- 'My colleague fills in his own Self Assessment" and he/she claims,x,y and z" 383 6
- no utr 170 7
- LLP formed in 2013 49 1
- Tax Returns for non residents 213 1
- client can't/won't pay 2,058 47
- Capital allowances on transfer of business 73 2
- Clothing 465 11
- Selling Capital Allowences from Self Employed to Ltd Buisness 204 8
- File Abbreviated LLP accounts online? 144 7
- Practice management 426 8
- Interest on pre-letting? 116 4
- Pounds Shillings and Pence 1,674 44
- Will simplified micro entities accounts result in loss of business ? 1,697 22
- Rent a room scheme query. 234 4
- Capital Gains PPR and allocation of costs 307 13
- Form MR01 (Particulars of a charge) - does this need to be filed if you remortgage with the same lender? 944
- Underpaid VAT assessment and relation to SATR 659
- Did you realise Google will not patch android exploit ... 610
- Latest phishing scam 591
- Cashback for opening business bank acct = trading income? 428
- Auto Enrolment Questions Answered 320
- Scratch Head 255
- Loan benefit after person ceases as director/employee 245
- Sabbatical payments 210
- Negligible Value Claim 187