Late Filing Penalty Problems
Interesting post this morning.
Two clients (more to follow?) where we successfully appealed against late filing penalties (because 2011 Returns should never have been issued in the first place) have received £580 penalties for late filing. These have been calculated at 58 days x £10 per day from 3 months after the paper return filing deadline.
It seems to me that HMRC have somehow logged the Returns as "received" when they accepted that Returns shouldn't have been issued and their systems have picked this up as being a late paper return - originally due in 31/10/11.
I'm now left having to waste more (unchargeable) time fending off clients who are being pusued for a hefty penalty they don't owe and get HMRC to cancel this and, maybe, apologise to the client.
It beggars belief - roll on retirement.
- Overdrawn directors loans and insolvent winding up 33 2
- FHLs and Entrepreneurs Relief 225 7
- Closing down loss-making company 747 15
- Stumped - IHT 565 8
- Can any cloud accounting package cope with operating a Foreign Branch and UK Head Office? 114 1
- S.455 Tax again 403 8
- Overpaid In Employers NI - RTI EYU for hundreds of employees 475 3
- Entrepreneur relief and deduction of Amortisation of Goodwill Pre2002 376 14
- Tips on meals 512 4
- co-operatives & Societies 97 1
- Client gets a penalty and being threatening! 699 7
- HMRC having technical difficulties 1,197 20
- Xerocon 2016 1,477 40
- Website Content 458 6
- Company restructure - Share valuation, ERS and PAYE 200 3
- Directors in dispute 191 1
- Incorporate to utilise dividend allowance next year? 730 12
- Incorporated company charity 159 2
- property capital gains 358 3
- Taxation of sinking fund contributions 448 5