Late Filing Penalty Problems
Interesting post this morning.
Two clients (more to follow?) where we successfully appealed against late filing penalties (because 2011 Returns should never have been issued in the first place) have received £580 penalties for late filing. These have been calculated at 58 days x £10 per day from 3 months after the paper return filing deadline.
It seems to me that HMRC have somehow logged the Returns as "received" when they accepted that Returns shouldn't have been issued and their systems have picked this up as being a late paper return - originally due in 31/10/11.
I'm now left having to waste more (unchargeable) time fending off clients who are being pusued for a hefty penalty they don't owe and get HMRC to cancel this and, maybe, apologise to the client.
It beggars belief - roll on retirement.
- Iris open space/doc exchange for SATRs 144 2
- Tax treatment of alterations to property 51 1
- How long are you waiting for appeal reply 59 1
- Companies house strike off 40 1
- How much to charge for payroll? 726 16
- When do we qualify for state pension? 146 2
- Unincorporated charity transfer to CIO 117 4
- BTC vs Digita 973 29
- Seeking a tax case 253 8
- Has anyone tried calling HMRC to get tax on dividends put in code? 282 4
- See you all on the other side 232 5
- VATABLE Income 282 3
- Auto enrolment contribution rates 207 2
- Different Filing Dates - Help! 264 7
- What are we calling cloud now? 408 6
- P11D software 95 1
- Write off of loans FROM participators 449 9
- VAT - business splitting 234 3
- Income tax or Capital gains tax? 586 16
- RTI - how to correct HMRC's error 409 7
- HMRC Joint Filing 521
- Capital Contribution towards a company car 392
- Capital Reduction & Impact on EIS Shares 351
- IRIS and FRS 102 325
- USA help 282
- National Minimum Wage issue on Directors joining a Workplace Pension 245
- Capital gains on rental property 227
- Sage Coretime 215
- Capitalising Finance Lease 212
- Dormant company accounts under FRS 102 204