Late Filing Penalty Problems
Interesting post this morning.
Two clients (more to follow?) where we successfully appealed against late filing penalties (because 2011 Returns should never have been issued in the first place) have received £580 penalties for late filing. These have been calculated at 58 days x £10 per day from 3 months after the paper return filing deadline.
It seems to me that HMRC have somehow logged the Returns as "received" when they accepted that Returns shouldn't have been issued and their systems have picked this up as being a late paper return - originally due in 31/10/11.
I'm now left having to waste more (unchargeable) time fending off clients who are being pusued for a hefty penalty they don't owe and get HMRC to cancel this and, maybe, apologise to the client.
It beggars belief - roll on retirement.
- What is the best practice for running a roofing company in Sage 95 2
- We accountants are not the only ones!! 343 3
- Joining the flat rate scheme retrospectively 132 3
- Free Agent - Payments on Account 535 14
- Joint filing delays 119 3
- Residents Association Corp Tax 220 9
- Vat threshold issues 192 4
- private to company car? 232 5
- Buy to let allowable interest 185 3
- Anyone use Xero for estate agent clients? 289 5
- How to change credit note allocation in Sage 144 4
- Partner with an IVA 200 5
- What can my client claim r & d on? 342 6
- R&D tax claim 136 1
- How much to charge for Ltd company accounts ? 618 13
- Growing pains 390 7
- Does Freeholder have to be director of our RTM Company? 242 14
- Consequential loss claim 146 3
- ATT Annual Return Problems 131 2
- what is classed as investment under other fixed assets? 120 1
- DTR : TIOPA 2010 Section 42 458
- CTA study material 420
- Sect 102 TMA 1970 304
- Sage Forecasting - Print filename 290
- Pre incorp expenses 284
- Relief on French Tax Deposit? 248
- Anyone have clients that use Pay4Later to offer customers credit? 235
- Slight twist on employment related securities 212
- How to claim additional losses after mistake in CT return 189
- What is the tax position if I am working overseas but via a UK agency? 180