Late Filing Penalty Problems
Interesting post this morning.
Two clients (more to follow?) where we successfully appealed against late filing penalties (because 2011 Returns should never have been issued in the first place) have received £580 penalties for late filing. These have been calculated at 58 days x £10 per day from 3 months after the paper return filing deadline.
It seems to me that HMRC have somehow logged the Returns as "received" when they accepted that Returns shouldn't have been issued and their systems have picked this up as being a late paper return - originally due in 31/10/11.
I'm now left having to waste more (unchargeable) time fending off clients who are being pusued for a hefty penalty they don't owe and get HMRC to cancel this and, maybe, apologise to the client.
It beggars belief - roll on retirement.
- Deduction from Salary 903 26
- VAT for client based in Thailand 25 1
- Incorporated when they should not have 393 12
- Do I need to report this to SOCA 3,780 41
- Directors pay adjustment from 1k to the magic 833.33 136 3
- Yorkshire Day 132 7
- Why would they want his purchase invoices?? 815 22
- Doctor and Locum Work 326 5
- Collection or business assets 137 2
- Deleted question? 65 1
- Accountancy Career 426 8
- Flat rate allowed but not used. 32 1
- Employee and subcontractor 190 4
- Help with HMRC investigation 379 7
- SMP reclaimable by employer 182 4
- calculation DTR restriction 126 2
- R&D tax credit claim 579 8
- Agent help line - long queues? 105 2
- Is it possible to run/own a UK based business, as a resident of Italy? 160 2
- What are options for non CA firm 3,088 66
- Property exchange - 8-year legal delay following fall-out 689
- Have you staged yet for auto enrolment? 544
- Cancelled 432
- Cancelled 366
- SAGE Payroll Data for Import to MS Dynamics AX 364
- Probiz 339
- Free-standing washing machine - unfurnished lettings 333
- Phishing emails purporting to be from CIPFA? 246
- Is this UK incapacity benefit taxable in UK or Jersey? 219
- Another HMRC computer glitch? 209