Late Filing Penalty Problems
Interesting post this morning.
Two clients (more to follow?) where we successfully appealed against late filing penalties (because 2011 Returns should never have been issued in the first place) have received £580 penalties for late filing. These have been calculated at 58 days x £10 per day from 3 months after the paper return filing deadline.
It seems to me that HMRC have somehow logged the Returns as "received" when they accepted that Returns shouldn't have been issued and their systems have picked this up as being a late paper return - originally due in 31/10/11.
I'm now left having to waste more (unchargeable) time fending off clients who are being pusued for a hefty penalty they don't owe and get HMRC to cancel this and, maybe, apologise to the client.
It beggars belief - roll on retirement.
- Auto enrolment confusion 1,962 45
- Love is in the air 169 3
- I am 34 years old, am I too old to start a career in Accounting ? which is the best way to pursue it 1,647 20
- Sage Instant Accounts Complete De-install problem 237 8
- Allegedly ICAS most of us at 50 should pack up - Interesting 339 8
- Reimbursing director travel costs 382 5
- Client Paperwork Retention? 487 11
- Sage 50 VAT Return 125 2
- Interest paid - do new rules affect Tax Credits? 515 1
- Paying Son 627 18
- Pay rise - how to enter in Moneysoft 337 7
- HMRC accounting 253 3
- Employers NI allowance 442 6
- Dividend taxation 259 3
- VAT refund if only output tax on first claim 164 1
- Physiotherapist and vat and agency work ( one for Les Howard???) 177 2
- Tax Overlap Reporting 153 3
- Buy to Let Property! Shell I buy or not? 439 4
- iris update 11.9.2 448 7
- HMRC Discovery powers 273 3
- DTA tie-breaker issue 294
- Tax Implicatins on a Directors Loan 274
- CGT for NOn UK residents 270
- Employer's pension contribution - need to be PAYE registered? 257
- What are the tax implications of overseas sales through a UK based company? 243
- Apprenticeship Levy 231
- profit or loss on furnishings and deed of trust 229
- Capital Gains personal representatives 215
- Tenants in Common - Actual % split not written down 208
- Mandating Rental income or dividend income to a company 186