Late Filing Penalty Problems
Interesting post this morning.
Two clients (more to follow?) where we successfully appealed against late filing penalties (because 2011 Returns should never have been issued in the first place) have received £580 penalties for late filing. These have been calculated at 58 days x £10 per day from 3 months after the paper return filing deadline.
It seems to me that HMRC have somehow logged the Returns as "received" when they accepted that Returns shouldn't have been issued and their systems have picked this up as being a late paper return - originally due in 31/10/11.
I'm now left having to waste more (unchargeable) time fending off clients who are being pusued for a hefty penalty they don't owe and get HMRC to cancel this and, maybe, apologise to the client.
It beggars belief - roll on retirement.
- Auto-Enrolment 2,995 158
- Tax treatment on the sale of a business 324 17
- Pricing 158 6
- VAT on “Reimbursement” from third parties 48 1
- Money laundering POCA 186 4
- Company incorrectly marked 'dormant' by HMRC 57 1
- Statutory Accounts - Dividends Disclosure Note 78 1
- P11d mistake 100 1
- Place of Supply or these two contracts walk into a German Bar 174 2
- Accountants who provide tech/IT advice 463 1
- CLG exempt under s60 124 2
- Improvement expenses allowable against rental income 145 4
- Alternative to CIS 416 9
- Can I become a self employed bookkeeper?? 376 4
- Supplier 1,266 13
- How to account for VAT on a newbuild that has been let 147 2
- No Tax Returns submitted for last 16 years 963 22
- Incorrect penalty warning letters sent 1,020 7
- Mutual trading organisation 127 2
- Companies house dissolved my company. What do I do now? 530 9
- Best way to take money from a business if you have unlimited EIS allowances? 499
- Skandia using wrong address 444
- Does anyone use PS Financials accounting software out there? 266
- FHL, period of grace and Entrepreneur's relief 239
- Employee rewards 233
- Legislation access for part-time sole practitioner? 208
- EPS Analysis - Change to EURO 203
- Rental Property W&T And Equipment 184
- Gift of reversion and lease into trust by two different people - later PPR 181
- Etax Australian 149