Late Filing Penalty Problems
Interesting post this morning.
Two clients (more to follow?) where we successfully appealed against late filing penalties (because 2011 Returns should never have been issued in the first place) have received £580 penalties for late filing. These have been calculated at 58 days x £10 per day from 3 months after the paper return filing deadline.
It seems to me that HMRC have somehow logged the Returns as "received" when they accepted that Returns shouldn't have been issued and their systems have picked this up as being a late paper return - originally due in 31/10/11.
I'm now left having to waste more (unchargeable) time fending off clients who are being pusued for a hefty penalty they don't owe and get HMRC to cancel this and, maybe, apologise to the client.
It beggars belief - roll on retirement.
- Guaranteed rents - which is the turnover? 121 3
- flat rate scheme 1,921 38
- Time to react ? ? ? 266 2
- which accounts package for busy hairdressers? 126 1
- How much would you charge for an interim audit? 634 9
- Anyone else experiencing issues with sage 50 payroll 139 3
- Company Share Buy Back 135 2
- Charitable Payment 207 4
- Are any of you members of The Institute of Financial Accountants - Accountnats certificate 939 15
- Unpaid share capital 258 3
- Company car in the LLP 191 2
- Physiotherapy 344 4
- New build property to be rented 186 4
- Are you going to Tick and Bash on 21 May? 1,886 52
- Hello 362 2
- Sage 200 question 125 1
- Spanish Assets taxation - UK Residence 119 2
- Ltd Co and Fully Paid Shares 194 5
- RTI and Advances to Employees 197 3
- Sorry - another PPR question 229 4