Late Filing Penalty Problems
Interesting post this morning.
Two clients (more to follow?) where we successfully appealed against late filing penalties (because 2011 Returns should never have been issued in the first place) have received £580 penalties for late filing. These have been calculated at 58 days x £10 per day from 3 months after the paper return filing deadline.
It seems to me that HMRC have somehow logged the Returns as "received" when they accepted that Returns shouldn't have been issued and their systems have picked this up as being a late paper return - originally due in 31/10/11.
I'm now left having to waste more (unchargeable) time fending off clients who are being pusued for a hefty penalty they don't owe and get HMRC to cancel this and, maybe, apologise to the client.
It beggars belief - roll on retirement.
- Invest in ''buy to let'' property 1,355 42
- How much of your work is admin? 614 5
- TaxCalc Accounts production 92 1
- HMRC BACK AND FORTH FIGHT ON BTL PROPERTY ALLOWANCES 46 1
- Nominal Ledger 381 11
- Gave wrong info to client about tax due 552 20
- Running two businesses from the same premises 389 4
- Fines for filing 12 months of FPS on one submission 192 2
- Base value unavailable re. Capital Gain 182 2
- Old CGT loss 202 3
- Gov.UK = NOT OK! 159 3
- Paper tax return 152 4
- Start up allowance? 370 12
- Will I need to resign? 166 1
- Penalty for late PAYE registration? 245 3
- AIA or IFA 450 7
- Surely not? 454 10
- Batch input of data to Xero - is there an app? 638 9
- Working out private usage for a Taxi Driver? 358 7
- Late Registration for VAT 361 11