Late Filing Penalty Problems
Interesting post this morning.
Two clients (more to follow?) where we successfully appealed against late filing penalties (because 2011 Returns should never have been issued in the first place) have received £580 penalties for late filing. These have been calculated at 58 days x £10 per day from 3 months after the paper return filing deadline.
It seems to me that HMRC have somehow logged the Returns as "received" when they accepted that Returns shouldn't have been issued and their systems have picked this up as being a late paper return - originally due in 31/10/11.
I'm now left having to waste more (unchargeable) time fending off clients who are being pusued for a hefty penalty they don't owe and get HMRC to cancel this and, maybe, apologise to the client.
It beggars belief - roll on retirement.
- Payroll error by client on Moneysoft 26 1
- Thin Client recomendation 79 1
- Stock Valuation when a partner dies 30 1
- Homing sandwiches 788 19
- Flat rate VAT- other income calculation 233 2
- format cell to exclude decimals 242 14
- SUSPECTED OR INVALID BENEFIT FRAUD 166 2
- Inheritance Tax and the 7 Year rule for property as a gift 82 1
- Client needs a UK tax residency certificate for Spanish tax authorities 83 2
- IT advisory questions? 389 11
- Direct debit entry query 129 4
- Moneysoft and People's Pension 760 12
- Can you help me spot errors? 184 2
- Do most of you still use MS Office? 1,152 18
- Acounting Courses 104 1
- Mileage allowance payment via payroll 121 2
- signature required 820 30
- Suspected or Invalid Employment Support Allowance fraud 330 6
- Stock Control System for Ecommerce Website 263 2
- Dividend Waiver and Settlement Legislation 103 1
- Auto enrolment excuses 1,291
- Feedback on accounts production software for IFRS 845
- Add T&Cs to Sales Order in Sage 536
- Digita Hosted Software 351
- Credit where credit's due....... 328
- Buying goods in US and selling them to company in US 251
- TheTax Donut 211
- Double taxation relief - same income, different individual 177
- Semi retired FCA or equivalent 156
- Director's business mileage 138