Late submission of tax returns
Hi My client owned a number of properties, the first being purchased in 2001. He came to me in 2010 and in May 2010 we finally submitted all the tax returns for the years 2001 through to 2009.
The Tax office wrote to us in respect of 2001 and 2002 saying that we are outside the limit but they would treat it as if the return had been submitted on time. They also wrote regarding 2007 and 2008. For these years there was some late filing penalties to pay which has been done but no other questions.
However, the tax for the other years 2003 to 2006 and 2009 has not been allocated and there is some £36,000 sitting as an overpayment. We wrote in 2011 asking that they allocate various amounts to the correct tax years but nothing was done. The statement on line shows that there is no tax liability and no tax due for these years.
Should we write and request that they confirm that the tax years are closed and that there is no liability due before requesting any repayment. Would they respond to such as request? Is there any other strategy that we could pursue?
My client has since been submitting the tax returns on time and paying the tax as it is due.
- Victor Meldrew morning 999 17
- EC VAT codes in Sage 50 77 1
- LLP - Member leaving 177 6
- Whats the best way to keep my accounts? 720 21
- Year end 219 3
- tax credits 182 7
- Foreign income for self employed 158 2
- Is there difference between when you state you will provide a specific provison and you will make a specific provision of £3200 against a partcular debt? 285 9
- what time is it ? 173 2
- Error in 11-12 return done by previous accountant, do we have to offer them to correct or can I do and client reclaim cost 296 9
- Personal returns late information - when to get tough? 1,111 14
- Tax Return Deadlines 236 4
- accruals and prepayments please help anyone out there 595 21
- How would you account for warranty? 172 4
- Sage 50 Accounts - Opening Bank Account Balance Posted to Nominal 9998 Suspense Account 410 22
- Sweet Tooth 220 6
- CA self-employed income below personal allowance 192 2
- trading or dormant 132 2
- Goodwill ammortisation 151 1
- When will Private Principal Residence Relief cut will start? 583 11
- Desperately seeking Susan, Sam or anyone with any other name 893
- Experience with Islamic investor following Sharia-compliant rules? 521
- Darwinpay Partnership Assessment 333
- How to format a stock book 315
- Tax efficient holding company structure 251
- S464A Charge to tax: conferring benefit & BIK 244
- Investment property company accounts template 228
- auto enrolment - calculation of first pension deduction 193
- RTI and Annual Directors Salary 173
- Charge out rates in London? 153