Leasehold Property improvements - accounting treatment
A partnership was incorporated several years ago with trading activities transferred to the Ltd and the properties remaining in the LLP. A market rent has been paid to the LLP by the Ltd for the properties due to the fact the make up and relative "shares" of the LLP differing to the Ltd.
The Ltd has funded and developed one property to a significant extent leading to over a doubling in market value of the property and a resultant increase in the market rent. My question is how to treat this fairly in the accounts of the LLP and Ltd?
Currently any improvements paid by Ltd are simply included in the Ltd accounts as leashold property improvements and depreciated over time. Is this still a fair treatment for such significant improvements to a leasehold property?
One option being mooted is to revalue the property in the LLP accounts as the difference between new market value and original market value stripping out the cost of improvements (being accounted for in the Ltd) - would this be sensible?
I guess the LLP cannot expect any market rent increases on the new development having not paid for those improvements
Am I worrying unecessarily and this happens all the time!
Of course as the LLP partners and Ltd shareholder are almost the same (albeit relative share in each business is different) as long as they are happy in the treatment and the value is apportioned betoween the two business by a mechanism they are happy is that the main criterion?
- Lorry Drivers 191 3
- Income recognition - release of product from a factory 191 10
- Partnership registered in error. No activities with view to profit. 177 4
- Money laundering POCA 339 7
- Ltd Company Buying Own Shares and Transferring Assets 55 1
- Offering Cash Prizes to University Students 106 3
- Finally a winner from HMRC!!! 335 3
- client threatening legal action 1,958 29
- Incorporation Relief 168 3
- Auto-Enrolment 4,004 187
- Can I claim mileage? 293 6
- limited company for IR35 159 1
- Ir35 test 142 2
- payroll software 263 2
- Mexican student in UK 182 4
- CIMA accountant wants to start consultancy 231 2
- Ownership of land - declaration of trust 96 2
- Annual Management Charge Rebates and Self Assessment Tax Return 182 1
- QuickBooks, Xero, FreeAgent and ClearBooks 900 19
- Dividend in specie 300 8
- Skandia using wrong address 508
- FHL, period of grace and Entrepreneur's relief 285
- Does anyone use PS Financials accounting software out there? 282
- Employee rewards 264
- Legislation access for part-time sole practitioner? 238
- Rental Property W&T And Equipment 229
- Gift of reversion and lease into trust by two different people - later PPR 227
- EPS Analysis - Change to EURO 216
- Etax Australian 176
- LLP in Construction Industry 127