Leasehold Property improvements - accounting treatment
A partnership was incorporated several years ago with trading activities transferred to the Ltd and the properties remaining in the LLP. A market rent has been paid to the LLP by the Ltd for the properties due to the fact the make up and relative "shares" of the LLP differing to the Ltd.
The Ltd has funded and developed one property to a significant extent leading to over a doubling in market value of the property and a resultant increase in the market rent. My question is how to treat this fairly in the accounts of the LLP and Ltd?
Currently any improvements paid by Ltd are simply included in the Ltd accounts as leashold property improvements and depreciated over time. Is this still a fair treatment for such significant improvements to a leasehold property?
One option being mooted is to revalue the property in the LLP accounts as the difference between new market value and original market value stripping out the cost of improvements (being accounted for in the Ltd) - would this be sensible?
I guess the LLP cannot expect any market rent increases on the new development having not paid for those improvements
Am I worrying unecessarily and this happens all the time!
Of course as the LLP partners and Ltd shareholder are almost the same (albeit relative share in each business is different) as long as they are happy in the treatment and the value is apportioned betoween the two business by a mechanism they are happy is that the main criterion?
- Tax on LLP members drawings not covered by future profits 375 14
- directors loan 246 7
- Is there no lower level to the work a lawyer would take on. 814 27
- Director registration for SA question 256 11
- How do you pay Inheritance Tax when HMRC haven't demanded it 212 3
- New Company reviews please 455 12
- Business only use of company car 603 23
- Holiday pay calculator for client use? 338 4
- CIS not deducted 303 5
- Car Capital Contribution 180 2
- cgt quoted shares losses 199 1
- LLP and corporate members - timing differences impact on corp tax 80 2
- VAT FRS percentage for sales person? 209 3
- Money Laundering Manual 257 10
- As I was saying, Its VAT question day 352 8
- VAT with Russia 122 1
- Scientist switch to accountancy - work experience? 1,040 28
- Penalties for late PAYE scheme 209 2
- Worst corporate entertaining events? 1,154 9
- CGT on Let Property 234 4
- RTI Rollback to delete incorrect data 281
- Motor Traders Assistant Bookkeeping Programme queries 235
- Vouchedfor.co.uk 234
- Tracesmart/Lexis Nexis AML software? Any opinions? 208
- Any thoughts on Capium? 197
- Expenses Software 189
- auto enrolment 176
- Sage Compatible P60's Self Seal 168
- How to account for investment in JV? 146
- Continuity of practice-ACCA 145