Leasehold Property improvements - accounting treatment
A partnership was incorporated several years ago with trading activities transferred to the Ltd and the properties remaining in the LLP. A market rent has been paid to the LLP by the Ltd for the properties due to the fact the make up and relative "shares" of the LLP differing to the Ltd.
The Ltd has funded and developed one property to a significant extent leading to over a doubling in market value of the property and a resultant increase in the market rent. My question is how to treat this fairly in the accounts of the LLP and Ltd?
Currently any improvements paid by Ltd are simply included in the Ltd accounts as leashold property improvements and depreciated over time. Is this still a fair treatment for such significant improvements to a leasehold property?
One option being mooted is to revalue the property in the LLP accounts as the difference between new market value and original market value stripping out the cost of improvements (being accounted for in the Ltd) - would this be sensible?
I guess the LLP cannot expect any market rent increases on the new development having not paid for those improvements
Am I worrying unecessarily and this happens all the time!
Of course as the LLP partners and Ltd shareholder are almost the same (albeit relative share in each business is different) as long as they are happy in the treatment and the value is apportioned betoween the two business by a mechanism they are happy is that the main criterion?
- How can I tell what returns are outstanding on HMRC online? 209 3
- Practice management - that old chestnut....... 1,206 19
- Suppliers for Online Card Payments? 337 6
- Go Cardless 366 10
- Self assessment tax arrears 303 3
- Mehjoo 321 2
- Tax Return Member LLP 103 1
- How to prove income for a mortgage if you have no SA302s 359 5
- Amazon Fees, Sage VAT/Tax code T20? 187 4
- SA302 326 7
- US Employment Income - Double Tax Treaty 289 13
- Bringing money to Uk 285 4
- Capital Allowances on Furnished Holiday Lets Business 213 4
- Hmrc software 249 3
- What expenses can be claimed after a move to Cornwall? 171 1
- Hosted email exchange 186 5
- South African Government Pension 183 1
- Can anybody help withe the RTI end of year process? 369 4
- VAT Bad Debt Relief 325 13
- How long are you on hold- IRIS Payroll 252 7
- Xtuple 515
- Qtac payroll for bureau 355
- Confused - Professional Association a Mutual trader, or not? 298
- Industrial & Provident Societies 292
- Data transfer from Sage Line 50 to VT Transaction+ 233
- VAT Payable on Expenses for Non-VAT Registered Ltd Co 206
- Why would HMRC offer to close an investigation by contract settlement 203
- Domain name sale and limited company 178
- CIS schemes 175
- Director legal fees in loose connection to the company 151