Leasehold Property improvements - accounting treatment
A partnership was incorporated several years ago with trading activities transferred to the Ltd and the properties remaining in the LLP. A market rent has been paid to the LLP by the Ltd for the properties due to the fact the make up and relative "shares" of the LLP differing to the Ltd.
The Ltd has funded and developed one property to a significant extent leading to over a doubling in market value of the property and a resultant increase in the market rent. My question is how to treat this fairly in the accounts of the LLP and Ltd?
Currently any improvements paid by Ltd are simply included in the Ltd accounts as leashold property improvements and depreciated over time. Is this still a fair treatment for such significant improvements to a leasehold property?
One option being mooted is to revalue the property in the LLP accounts as the difference between new market value and original market value stripping out the cost of improvements (being accounted for in the Ltd) - would this be sensible?
I guess the LLP cannot expect any market rent increases on the new development having not paid for those improvements
Am I worrying unecessarily and this happens all the time!
Of course as the LLP partners and Ltd shareholder are almost the same (albeit relative share in each business is different) as long as they are happy in the treatment and the value is apportioned betoween the two business by a mechanism they are happy is that the main criterion?
- Paint Manufacturer Flat Rate Scheme 141 4
- Accountants' Error 693 13
- ICPA taxwise fee protection 144 3
- Scoot 182 4
- Zero Rated VAT on New Building 152 2
- Tax code for Companies House fees 199 3
- G'day IPA-IFA 661 11
- Why do HMRC have a different FPS liability to the amount I sent? 1,453 20
- VAT customer is registered in France, goods shipped to the UK 109 1
- Regaining my qualification 200 2
- Self-Assessment - NIC Exemption 235 2
- Recommendations for tax advice sole practitioner 231 2
- Auto enrolment 192 3
- Shareholder agreement 172 3
- Tax treatment of cashed in American Savings Plan 195 3
- Company Reorganisation 164 3
- Employee Loan 207 2
- IRIS - Personal Tax - 2013/14 - Page UKP2 465 15
- Statutory residence test - transit days 594 5
- CGT - Is a calculation required now? 150 1
- Skandia using wrong address 1,450
- Nil Rate Band Trust - index linked debt by way of charge over property 764
- Any views 697
- HMRC Employers Diary 523
- International interest certificate 424
- Stamp Duty on share for share exchange 389
- Sale of business 355
- NOVA 259
- Advertising services? 254
- IRIS Open Books problem 246