Leasehold Property improvements - accounting treatment
A partnership was incorporated several years ago with trading activities transferred to the Ltd and the properties remaining in the LLP. A market rent has been paid to the LLP by the Ltd for the properties due to the fact the make up and relative "shares" of the LLP differing to the Ltd.
The Ltd has funded and developed one property to a significant extent leading to over a doubling in market value of the property and a resultant increase in the market rent. My question is how to treat this fairly in the accounts of the LLP and Ltd?
Currently any improvements paid by Ltd are simply included in the Ltd accounts as leashold property improvements and depreciated over time. Is this still a fair treatment for such significant improvements to a leasehold property?
One option being mooted is to revalue the property in the LLP accounts as the difference between new market value and original market value stripping out the cost of improvements (being accounted for in the Ltd) - would this be sensible?
I guess the LLP cannot expect any market rent increases on the new development having not paid for those improvements
Am I worrying unecessarily and this happens all the time!
Of course as the LLP partners and Ltd shareholder are almost the same (albeit relative share in each business is different) as long as they are happy in the treatment and the value is apportioned betoween the two business by a mechanism they are happy is that the main criterion?
- Auto enrolment 162 2
- starting a ltd company with intangible assets 111 3
- Registration as self-employed 163 2
- Clients have been told I'm working from home 1,054 15
- Corporation Tax Software 407 12
- VAT on commision and connected persons 90 1
- Partnership Tax Return £100 penalty-was a tax return due in this case? 676 18
- How to end partnership for HMRC 108 1
- First year's sole trader accounts and 2014/2015 tax return 164 1
- Electric Vehicle company car battery rental - how is it taxed? 117 4
- Regular Director bonus 455 11
- Careers advice - is it worth moving from an SME to a corporate? 154 1
- BrightPay 1,100 35
- HMRC Summons for £14k 547 7
- SA REFUND; DEFRAUDED BY UNKNOWN PARTY 372 5
- Footballers Testimonials Taxable? 1,126 17
- BIK for an electric car 173 2
- New Practice - Accounting Software 3,642 90
- How do I save face? 2,413 14
- Goodie bag 3,128 72
- Possible Partnership? 698
- Tax and accounting treatment on long lease granted from freehold 539
- Fuming! 523
- New Fangled Penalties 468
- Purchase of property freehold - capitalisation of costs 337
- Charity dissolution and newly merged charity 279
- Moving away from CCH software 268
- Lenovo – Superfish & Komodia – is your PC vulnerable 259
- Outsource Data Entry 259
- Do I need a US Tax Identification Number to complete W-8BEN-E? 210