Leasehold Property improvements - accounting treatment
A partnership was incorporated several years ago with trading activities transferred to the Ltd and the properties remaining in the LLP. A market rent has been paid to the LLP by the Ltd for the properties due to the fact the make up and relative "shares" of the LLP differing to the Ltd.
The Ltd has funded and developed one property to a significant extent leading to over a doubling in market value of the property and a resultant increase in the market rent. My question is how to treat this fairly in the accounts of the LLP and Ltd?
Currently any improvements paid by Ltd are simply included in the Ltd accounts as leashold property improvements and depreciated over time. Is this still a fair treatment for such significant improvements to a leasehold property?
One option being mooted is to revalue the property in the LLP accounts as the difference between new market value and original market value stripping out the cost of improvements (being accounted for in the Ltd) - would this be sensible?
I guess the LLP cannot expect any market rent increases on the new development having not paid for those improvements
Am I worrying unecessarily and this happens all the time!
Of course as the LLP partners and Ltd shareholder are almost the same (albeit relative share in each business is different) as long as they are happy in the treatment and the value is apportioned betoween the two business by a mechanism they are happy is that the main criterion?
- Personal Allowance for non residents 351 9
- Vat 65 3
- PAYE 73 3
- xerocon 44 1
- SA online - 4 hour limit 1,086 10
- Unemployed Accounting Graduate - Need Advice - Small Firms 153 1
- VAT: option to tax 102 2
- IHT dilemma 288 11
- Share Valuation 60 2
- Dormant company or not? 306 13
- VAT - Land Related Services 89 1
- Best form of debt recovery 157 3
- Backdating VAT claim 40 1
- WIP recognition for builders 375 8
- Do I need to keep subscribing to CIMA post qualification? 295 15
- BTL property solely in wife's name - can she split rental income with husband? 172 5
- Prior Year Adjustments 103 2
- Share Issue 215 1
- Payment of Capital from and LLP and Corporate member 146 11
- Client avoiding UK Tax. 751 23
- Feedback on accounts production software for IFRS 654
- Property let at a reduced rate - losses brought forward 518
- Auto enrolment excuses 488
- Removed post 369
- Add T&Cs to Sales Order in Sage 344
- Social investment tax relief 160
- Patent Box and worldwide patents 154
- Call Centre Data Costs 153
- Digita Hosted Software 138
- option to tax 126