Leasehold Property improvements - accounting treatment
A partnership was incorporated several years ago with trading activities transferred to the Ltd and the properties remaining in the LLP. A market rent has been paid to the LLP by the Ltd for the properties due to the fact the make up and relative "shares" of the LLP differing to the Ltd.
The Ltd has funded and developed one property to a significant extent leading to over a doubling in market value of the property and a resultant increase in the market rent. My question is how to treat this fairly in the accounts of the LLP and Ltd?
Currently any improvements paid by Ltd are simply included in the Ltd accounts as leashold property improvements and depreciated over time. Is this still a fair treatment for such significant improvements to a leasehold property?
One option being mooted is to revalue the property in the LLP accounts as the difference between new market value and original market value stripping out the cost of improvements (being accounted for in the Ltd) - would this be sensible?
I guess the LLP cannot expect any market rent increases on the new development having not paid for those improvements
Am I worrying unecessarily and this happens all the time!
Of course as the LLP partners and Ltd shareholder are almost the same (albeit relative share in each business is different) as long as they are happy in the treatment and the value is apportioned betoween the two business by a mechanism they are happy is that the main criterion?
- Capitalising purchased software 79 2
- Warning for freeagent accountants using payroll import 222 2
- South African family trust and UK resident beneficiary 48 1
- Web sites 36 1
- Is laminated flooring an improvement on carpets? 333 10
- Seting up a Direct Debit for PAYE 246 2
- Recharge for private use of a company car 542 17
- how to object to registered company name... 293 2
- Late Filing and Late Registration Penalty 125 2
- Property income in different capacities 238 5
- ethical- to continue to act or not? 495 12
- CGT 462 19
- CGT 278 5
- Vat registration exception 120 2
- Do most of you still use MS Office? 459 10
- VAT rate charged by surveyor 117 1
- Charity Grant accounting 102 3
- Entrepreneurs Relief 851 46
- Moneysoft and People's Pension 247 5
- EU eservices VAT change imminent 412 8
- Auto enrolment excuses 1,209
- Feedback on accounts production software for IFRS 805
- Add T&Cs to Sales Order in Sage 503
- Digita Hosted Software 325
- Credit where credit's due....... 296
- Buying goods in US and selling them to company in US 231
- Flat rate VAT- other income calculation 175
- TheTax Donut 153
- Double taxation relief - same income, different individual 149
- Corporation Tax return - more than one trade 144