Leasehold Property improvements - accounting treatment
A partnership was incorporated several years ago with trading activities transferred to the Ltd and the properties remaining in the LLP. A market rent has been paid to the LLP by the Ltd for the properties due to the fact the make up and relative "shares" of the LLP differing to the Ltd.
The Ltd has funded and developed one property to a significant extent leading to over a doubling in market value of the property and a resultant increase in the market rent. My question is how to treat this fairly in the accounts of the LLP and Ltd?
Currently any improvements paid by Ltd are simply included in the Ltd accounts as leashold property improvements and depreciated over time. Is this still a fair treatment for such significant improvements to a leasehold property?
One option being mooted is to revalue the property in the LLP accounts as the difference between new market value and original market value stripping out the cost of improvements (being accounted for in the Ltd) - would this be sensible?
I guess the LLP cannot expect any market rent increases on the new development having not paid for those improvements
Am I worrying unecessarily and this happens all the time!
Of course as the LLP partners and Ltd shareholder are almost the same (albeit relative share in each business is different) as long as they are happy in the treatment and the value is apportioned betoween the two business by a mechanism they are happy is that the main criterion?
- New use of home - simplified method 164 4
- CGT and PPR and Lettings Relief? 249 5
- company secretarial software 59 1
- convert directors loan account to share capital 108 3
- Belated VAT Exception Application 70 1
- 2 year rule? Self employed. 309 13
- Rental Income 247 3
- How long is filing an FPS meant to take ? 1,922 32
- Share restructure 322 12
- Liquidation of Subsiduary 138 4
- Unknown cash receipt 1,773 14
- P11d error 419 9
- Need to upgrade from Sage 50 but to what? 159 1
- Associated companies 106 1
- Purchase buy-to-let property personally or LTD? 497 8
- Paperless office question 188 4
- RTI "Reason for submission being late" 416 7
- Warning about Tax Insider (taxinsider.co.uk) 941 5
- Stock Valuation 130 1
- Employment allowance and service companies (outside IR35) 483 14
- Residential Property Purchase Above £750K 723
- Using Sage with Sofa Categories 494
- Does anyone have an unwanted ICAEW wooden plaque? 336
- One man Company and closing payroll scheme as none paid 331
- Goods shipped inter EU and VAT Reporting 261
- growth voucher supplier 232
- VAT on Gaming Machines 206
- Sage 200 and Access Dimensions reviews 196
- Non-Resident Director - UK Tax Position? 179
- transferring simply accounting 2010 from xp to windows 7 171