Leasehold Property improvements - accounting treatment
A partnership was incorporated several years ago with trading activities transferred to the Ltd and the properties remaining in the LLP. A market rent has been paid to the LLP by the Ltd for the properties due to the fact the make up and relative "shares" of the LLP differing to the Ltd.
The Ltd has funded and developed one property to a significant extent leading to over a doubling in market value of the property and a resultant increase in the market rent. My question is how to treat this fairly in the accounts of the LLP and Ltd?
Currently any improvements paid by Ltd are simply included in the Ltd accounts as leashold property improvements and depreciated over time. Is this still a fair treatment for such significant improvements to a leasehold property?
One option being mooted is to revalue the property in the LLP accounts as the difference between new market value and original market value stripping out the cost of improvements (being accounted for in the Ltd) - would this be sensible?
I guess the LLP cannot expect any market rent increases on the new development having not paid for those improvements
Am I worrying unecessarily and this happens all the time!
Of course as the LLP partners and Ltd shareholder are almost the same (albeit relative share in each business is different) as long as they are happy in the treatment and the value is apportioned betoween the two business by a mechanism they are happy is that the main criterion?
- corp tax software 1,038 14
- How to prove to HMRC that you was not self employed? 315 13
- How can customer service quality vary between the basic pension firms? 424 6
- Subsistence expenses for one man band contractor companies 173 4
- PRR 458 15
- Director selling assets to the company that were given to her 96 1
- Sage Line50 Journal Entry Help! 233 14
- Working from home - time apportionment 302 3
- Recovering VAT on property purchase 209 2
- cross border vat 119 2
- Any Scottish members out there? 12,930 488
- What code do you put expenses under such as tea & coffee? 787 17
- Can't read my handwriting 637 15
- Now Scotland has voted "No", when does England get to vote? 1,660 74
- Employing a carer 137 1
- Fees for Property Tax Return 537 16
- Corp Tax Refund 176 2
- Email hacker for hire ... 416 8
- Capital Gains Tax on title transfer 287 8
- IFRS and UK GAAP Adjustment Jrnls 104 2
- Raiders of the Lost Tax File 1,374
- Chartered Accountant in County Down N.Ireland 520
- National Insurance 417
- Non Resident 322
- Hands on experience of Digita 245
- Best way to take money from a business if you have unlimited EIS allowances? 228
- Employer's Helpline 189
- CIS paid under reg 9 187
- Does anyone use PS Financials accounting software out there? 153
- Commercial rental property - still Schedule A? 151