Leasehold Property improvements - accounting treatment
A partnership was incorporated several years ago with trading activities transferred to the Ltd and the properties remaining in the LLP. A market rent has been paid to the LLP by the Ltd for the properties due to the fact the make up and relative "shares" of the LLP differing to the Ltd.
The Ltd has funded and developed one property to a significant extent leading to over a doubling in market value of the property and a resultant increase in the market rent. My question is how to treat this fairly in the accounts of the LLP and Ltd?
Currently any improvements paid by Ltd are simply included in the Ltd accounts as leashold property improvements and depreciated over time. Is this still a fair treatment for such significant improvements to a leasehold property?
One option being mooted is to revalue the property in the LLP accounts as the difference between new market value and original market value stripping out the cost of improvements (being accounted for in the Ltd) - would this be sensible?
I guess the LLP cannot expect any market rent increases on the new development having not paid for those improvements
Am I worrying unecessarily and this happens all the time!
Of course as the LLP partners and Ltd shareholder are almost the same (albeit relative share in each business is different) as long as they are happy in the treatment and the value is apportioned betoween the two business by a mechanism they are happy is that the main criterion?
- Land Rover Discovery 3.0 SDV6 255 Comm Auto 2 seat 269 7
- The stupidity continues 280 10
- qualifying for 1/9th tax credit on foreign dividend 130 2
- HMRC & daft penalty 2,360 19
- Limited company director - other earnings in the tax year 90 1
- Overlap relief 742 19
- What is IRIS World like? 340 8
- Pension contributions 351 10
- Offsetting CT losses against another company 113 4
- Do you have to declare business expenditure on a personal credit card on your P11D? 468 11
- Do you use sign up lists on your website 153 1
- CIMA at the age of 35?? 445 9
- Setting up PAYE scheme without UTR 253 8
- Free project management software with Gantt charts, preferably on-line 201 1
- Share transfer question 327 16
- If you've had any issues posting: Please read this 553 10
- New Employers Helpline 153 3
- Budget 2015 - take two 217 3
- CIS Contractor has not issued tax deduction certificate to client 209 4
- VAT Query 216 2
- Has anyone been affected by the RBS payment breakdown? 433
- Straight line write off of Purchase Goodwill ??? 427
- WIP Software 291
- FRS 102 compliant illustrative accounts for an insurance company 286
- CGT, PPR and transfer of equity to spouse. 224
- No payroll scheme in place 223
- Software recommendations 212
- Do subcontractors on work for residential (student accomodation) construction 202
- Is there anything wrong with this? 195
- Small Part Disposal of Property 176