Leasehold Property improvements - accounting treatment
A partnership was incorporated several years ago with trading activities transferred to the Ltd and the properties remaining in the LLP. A market rent has been paid to the LLP by the Ltd for the properties due to the fact the make up and relative "shares" of the LLP differing to the Ltd.
The Ltd has funded and developed one property to a significant extent leading to over a doubling in market value of the property and a resultant increase in the market rent. My question is how to treat this fairly in the accounts of the LLP and Ltd?
Currently any improvements paid by Ltd are simply included in the Ltd accounts as leashold property improvements and depreciated over time. Is this still a fair treatment for such significant improvements to a leasehold property?
One option being mooted is to revalue the property in the LLP accounts as the difference between new market value and original market value stripping out the cost of improvements (being accounted for in the Ltd) - would this be sensible?
I guess the LLP cannot expect any market rent increases on the new development having not paid for those improvements
Am I worrying unecessarily and this happens all the time!
Of course as the LLP partners and Ltd shareholder are almost the same (albeit relative share in each business is different) as long as they are happy in the treatment and the value is apportioned betoween the two business by a mechanism they are happy is that the main criterion?
- Is it possible to change a client's trading address for Vat purposes online 190 3
- What is the status of "Whistleblowing" these days - do you get rewarded? 475 15
- Joining the flat rate scheme retrospectively 1,049 11
- Uncomfortable with some advertising Sift takes 294 11
- Should everyone be entitled to a personal allowance 313 6
- Employee to move to Isle of Man 253 6
- Potentially dodgy client 261 3
- CIC Tax - what is trading? 544 28
- Entrepeneurs relief 429 18
- French Excise Duty - Help Please! 395 9
- Goodwill omitted from first years accounts 504 23
- Do I need to pay my accountant 618 8
- Loan Repayment on Invoice 189 6
- Do HMRC automatically close inactive PAYE schemes? 330 5
- Straightforward email correspondence or PDF letter attached to blank email? 653 8
- Question on HMRC past taxes (+penalties) on non-resident 149 2
- How to post Sales figures in Sage50 Accounts (we use separate Sales ledger) 169 3
- Lloyds bank ... 461 6
- Limited company buying a car 266 5
- Buying Microsoft's Surface Pro 3 515 10
- CTA study material 780
- Anyone have clients that use Pay4Later to offer customers credit? 484
- Raiders of the Lost Tax File 412
- Employment related securities question 313
- AIM Stocks and IHT 290
- Expat pension contributions? 267
- Tax Relief for overseas employees 263
- Trust for Employee 247
- Service Charge Accountant Career Options 197
- IPP (International Pension Plan) income 150