Leasehold Property improvements - accounting treatment
A partnership was incorporated several years ago with trading activities transferred to the Ltd and the properties remaining in the LLP. A market rent has been paid to the LLP by the Ltd for the properties due to the fact the make up and relative "shares" of the LLP differing to the Ltd.
The Ltd has funded and developed one property to a significant extent leading to over a doubling in market value of the property and a resultant increase in the market rent. My question is how to treat this fairly in the accounts of the LLP and Ltd?
Currently any improvements paid by Ltd are simply included in the Ltd accounts as leashold property improvements and depreciated over time. Is this still a fair treatment for such significant improvements to a leasehold property?
One option being mooted is to revalue the property in the LLP accounts as the difference between new market value and original market value stripping out the cost of improvements (being accounted for in the Ltd) - would this be sensible?
I guess the LLP cannot expect any market rent increases on the new development having not paid for those improvements
Am I worrying unecessarily and this happens all the time!
Of course as the LLP partners and Ltd shareholder are almost the same (albeit relative share in each business is different) as long as they are happy in the treatment and the value is apportioned betoween the two business by a mechanism they are happy is that the main criterion?
- General tax book with planning 135 2
- Limited Company - Personal Bank Account 3,184 69
- 2013/14 failure to submit end of year submission 268 11
- Gift of property & improvements 104 2
- Error in past Corporate tax return 331 5
- VAT Invoice 118 4
- Company overdue but wants to be struck off 796 32
- IHT and Swiss Property 120 1
- Sale of house with planning permission - tax free? 203 3
- Flat rate Vat Scheme & Vat on wholesale production of Cakes and other deserts 166 7
- Vat code for journal entries of director's expenses 138 2
- Claiming VAT and missing receipts 438 10
- HMRC overreaching its powers -again against a small surveying firm? 362 8
- Help with tax codes on Sage 248 1
- Letting relief on property transferred to a spouse 178 6
- VAT code for invoice from not VAT registered company 258 4
- Accounting for a finance lease 158 4
- SA302's anyone?? 531 16
- A change from the old Q v NQ debate 1,642 41
- Renting for military reasons 191 2
- Skandia using wrong address 1,620
- Nil Rate Band Trust - index linked debt by way of charge over property 900
- International interest certificate 509
- NOVA 368
- Have we escaped Gift with Reservation of Benfit & Pre-owned asset charges? - Gift after benefit 291
- Management expenses for investment company 263
- Bonus Bonds 260
- Entertainer withholding tax in Australia 172
- tax on apprenticeship income 172
- P11D benefit received by widow 148