Leasehold Property improvements - accounting treatment
A partnership was incorporated several years ago with trading activities transferred to the Ltd and the properties remaining in the LLP. A market rent has been paid to the LLP by the Ltd for the properties due to the fact the make up and relative "shares" of the LLP differing to the Ltd.
The Ltd has funded and developed one property to a significant extent leading to over a doubling in market value of the property and a resultant increase in the market rent. My question is how to treat this fairly in the accounts of the LLP and Ltd?
Currently any improvements paid by Ltd are simply included in the Ltd accounts as leashold property improvements and depreciated over time. Is this still a fair treatment for such significant improvements to a leasehold property?
One option being mooted is to revalue the property in the LLP accounts as the difference between new market value and original market value stripping out the cost of improvements (being accounted for in the Ltd) - would this be sensible?
I guess the LLP cannot expect any market rent increases on the new development having not paid for those improvements
Am I worrying unecessarily and this happens all the time!
Of course as the LLP partners and Ltd shareholder are almost the same (albeit relative share in each business is different) as long as they are happy in the treatment and the value is apportioned betoween the two business by a mechanism they are happy is that the main criterion?
- Should VAT be charged when land is transferred as part of a TOGC 95 2
- Sole-trader renting commmercial property from himself & spouse. 151 3
- Can I take action against my accountant for incompetence? 2,002 50
- R&D tax credit claim 249 6
- CIC Company 490 6
- DEATH OF A SHAREHOLDER NO SHAREHOLDER AGREEMENT 340 8
- Sage Starting Again As Records are in a mess 245 4
- Entrepreneurs relief available? 504 11
- HMRC Property campaign 780 10
- Estate agent and VAT registration 186 2
- How to reclaim VAT that was missed off previous invoices? 109 1
- Redundancy pay for directors? 364 12
- Legal Advice Needed Bank Account Blocked 531 8
- Small company audit 292 8
- Sage valuing foreign bank balances 218 5
- What can my client claim r & d on? 232 5
- Problem partnership fees 154 1
- Car financed by employee 141 1
- Potential Customer Under VAT Threshold 143 1
- Undisclosed income 242 3
- Property exchange - 8-year legal delay following fall-out 609
- Cancelled 355
- SAGE Payroll Data for Import to MS Dynamics AX 337
- Cancelled 291
- Have you staged yet for auto enrolment? 268
- Probiz 254
- VAT on non-profit making clubs (ECJ VS West Dorset Golf Club) 210
- Free-standing washing machine - unfurnished lettings 199
- Phishing emails purporting to be from CIPFA? 192
- Car leasing scheme 188