Leasehold Property improvements - accounting treatment
A partnership was incorporated several years ago with trading activities transferred to the Ltd and the properties remaining in the LLP. A market rent has been paid to the LLP by the Ltd for the properties due to the fact the make up and relative "shares" of the LLP differing to the Ltd.
The Ltd has funded and developed one property to a significant extent leading to over a doubling in market value of the property and a resultant increase in the market rent. My question is how to treat this fairly in the accounts of the LLP and Ltd?
Currently any improvements paid by Ltd are simply included in the Ltd accounts as leashold property improvements and depreciated over time. Is this still a fair treatment for such significant improvements to a leasehold property?
One option being mooted is to revalue the property in the LLP accounts as the difference between new market value and original market value stripping out the cost of improvements (being accounted for in the Ltd) - would this be sensible?
I guess the LLP cannot expect any market rent increases on the new development having not paid for those improvements
Am I worrying unecessarily and this happens all the time!
Of course as the LLP partners and Ltd shareholder are almost the same (albeit relative share in each business is different) as long as they are happy in the treatment and the value is apportioned betoween the two business by a mechanism they are happy is that the main criterion?
- Software to use 56 1
- Is there is a tax neutral way of splitting a company? 74 4
- Client using boyfriend's personal account 234 4
- Rental Property on Self Assessment 88 1
- Playstation 4 - Allowable expense or not? 2,466 34
- Discretionary trust reporting 80 1
- ICAEW student, Dilema with client & boss 618 15
- Partnership profit share - tax efficient for husband and wife 79 1
- Client change of address for VAT - can't do it online?! 386 7
- Benchmark Scale Rates 56 1
- Early repayment of CIS deductions - sole trader 55 1
- Rollover relief and private use 97 2
- Annual Investment Allowance (AIA) 215 3
- Error in 11-12 return done by previous accountant, do we have to offer them to correct or can I do and client reclaim cost 860 12
- Concerned about RTI 2014 2,817 72
- SAGE con 351 7
- Filed CT600 using Taxcalc 120 2
- Which software for practice books? 562 20
- Related Parties Note 779 10
- Dazed & confused 407 5
- Desperately seeking Susan, Sam or anyone with any other name 1,057
- Experience with Islamic investor following Sharia-compliant rules? 565
- Darwinpay Partnership Assessment 375
- S464A Charge to tax: conferring benefit & BIK 283
- Charge out rates in London? 228
- auto enrolment - calculation of first pension deduction 218
- Personal consumption by landlord 194
- Interest on Loan to a Company 181
- Bank interest in 'near' facility recall situation 161
- Agent fees to sell business 150