HMRC's website http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/employers/p45-employee-leaves.htm has a faq:
Q. Do I need to issue a P45 to every employee who leaves?
A. You must complete a P45 for any employee who is leaving your employment and for whom you have completed a P11 deductions working sheet in the current tax year. You have a legal obligation to do this. The exception to this is when you have only used tax code 'NI' (used when a student is signing a P38(s) declaration).
I take that to mean if you have an employee (e.g. casual) who has not worked in the current tax year, then there is no need to issue them with a P45.
My payroll software does not allow 'nil' P45s to be filed online, so up to now I've been manually entering them on HMRC's website (!), which now seems unncessary.
My question is what do other people do in this scenario? Surely it's better if HMRC know the person is no longer on your books, so they don't send any more tax codes etc. The employer helpline says they will pick this up when the employee starts elsewhere.
Also, the point at which the employee is 'off the books' in the abscence of a leaver P45 is a bit vague - presumably employment law would apply, and the employer best send the (casual) employee a letter.
- Client Death 510 9
- Accounts formation/ speculative advertising 151 4
- Furniture Rental Business 36 1
- Moving into own BTL property - allowable costs 336 2
- Are Bursaries Taxable 64 2
- Will Ni be payable on the salary I receive abroad ? 309 1
- Entrepreneurs relief available? 129 3
- Accountancy Software Recommendation for eCommerce Business 388 5
- What is going on with VAT applications?? 1,915 38
- Do I need to report this to SOCA 950 15
- Unallocated client money 167 5
- Dissolve a Ltd Company - How much do you charge? 332 5
- VAT On Conference Sponsorship 128 2
- Extracting funds from a failing Company 191 6
- Expenses Apps 134 1
- Tick & Bash Bristol 538 8
- CG34 Post Transaction Valuation, CGT and Entrepreneurs Relief 160 7
- Can Sage 50 Forecasting work with Excel 2013 or Office 365 137 2
- Can anyone recommend an EPOS system for a newsagents 204 2
- Agricultural Land Hold Over and Roll Over 158 5
- Proposed Amendments to IAS 1 597
- Property exchange - 8-year legal delay following fall-out 472
- Sorry ignore me 369
- Accounting for Insurance Premium Financing 365
- SAGE Payroll Data for Import to MS Dynamics AX 275
- Cancelled 236
- Cancelled 204
- Bartercard 169
- C79 Discrepancy 163
- Sage Report Designer - Nominal Activity in Currency 153