HMRC's website http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/employers/p45-employee-leaves.htm has a faq:
Q. Do I need to issue a P45 to every employee who leaves?
A. You must complete a P45 for any employee who is leaving your employment and for whom you have completed a P11 deductions working sheet in the current tax year. You have a legal obligation to do this. The exception to this is when you have only used tax code 'NI' (used when a student is signing a P38(s) declaration).
I take that to mean if you have an employee (e.g. casual) who has not worked in the current tax year, then there is no need to issue them with a P45.
My payroll software does not allow 'nil' P45s to be filed online, so up to now I've been manually entering them on HMRC's website (!), which now seems unncessary.
My question is what do other people do in this scenario? Surely it's better if HMRC know the person is no longer on your books, so they don't send any more tax codes etc. The employer helpline says they will pick this up when the employee starts elsewhere.
Also, the point at which the employee is 'off the books' in the abscence of a leaver P45 is a bit vague - presumably employment law would apply, and the employer best send the (casual) employee a letter.
- Enforcing A CCJ 180 5
- reporting salary? 34 1
- Multiple PAYE Schemes 98 2
- Childcare Vouchers 124 2
- Sale of shares and ER 85 3
- Quarterly PAYE 51 1
- Value pricing 454 15
- SDLT - transfer of land into newco 111 4
- Personal Service Company 95 2
- Employment Allowance - Doctors Private Secretaries 97 1
- SA Return issued after P800 received 118 5
- More than one Employment Allowance ? 119 1
- Auto enrolment 264 4
- What password safe app does anyone recommend? 1,189 25
- Sage Payroll 192 8
- Laptop purchase 1,166 19
- VAT on Gaming Machines 245 1
- Payroll software : RTI submissions 140 3
- VAT 102 1
- Auto enrolment 338 5
- Residential Property Purchase Above £750K 753
- Using Sage with Sofa Categories 513
- Does anyone have an unwanted ICAEW wooden plaque? 384
- One man Company and closing payroll scheme as none paid 361
- Goods shipped inter EU and VAT Reporting 271
- Non-Resident Director - UK Tax Position? 209
- Sage 200 and Access Dimensions reviews 209
- transferring simply accounting 2010 from xp to windows 7 191
- Director Loan account operation 183
- vat return 156