HMRC's website http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/employers/p45-employee-leaves.htm has a faq:
Q. Do I need to issue a P45 to every employee who leaves?
A. You must complete a P45 for any employee who is leaving your employment and for whom you have completed a P11 deductions working sheet in the current tax year. You have a legal obligation to do this. The exception to this is when you have only used tax code 'NI' (used when a student is signing a P38(s) declaration).
I take that to mean if you have an employee (e.g. casual) who has not worked in the current tax year, then there is no need to issue them with a P45.
My payroll software does not allow 'nil' P45s to be filed online, so up to now I've been manually entering them on HMRC's website (!), which now seems unncessary.
My question is what do other people do in this scenario? Surely it's better if HMRC know the person is no longer on your books, so they don't send any more tax codes etc. The employer helpline says they will pick this up when the employee starts elsewhere.
Also, the point at which the employee is 'off the books' in the abscence of a leaver P45 is a bit vague - presumably employment law would apply, and the employer best send the (casual) employee a letter.
- Credit against UK NI for NI paid to EEC Countries 228 1
- will this work for IHT 248 2
- Best software for small practice? 633 20
- Paid too much !! 237 2
- Auto enrolment confusion 1,739 39
- I am 34 years old, am I too old to start a career in Accounting ? which is the best way to pursue it 248 7
- Sage Instant Accounts Complete De-install problem 78 2
- Taxfiler been down since mid-afternoon 187 5
- Anyone having problems with Taxfiler 480 17
- Gifting Shares to a Limited Company 109 1
- Company separation for Wholesale & Retail businesses 88 1
- Selling a VAT Qualifying vehicle at a loss 89 1
- Paying dividends to Ordinary shares with different nominal values 475 15
- 2012 13 HMRC QUERY 748 11
- Sports Sponsorship 139 1
- New Shareholder and Purchase of Own Share 257 17
- Opt To Tax Refund 213 2
- Divorcing husband, both 50% owners of a Ltd business 241 6
- Is the CT61 return dead? 1,324 14
- How did you recalculate your payroll fees 1,271 21
- Self employed and HMRC Worldwide Subsistence Rates 766
- Interest paid - do new rules affect Tax Credits? 454
- Market Invoice (P2P invoice discounting) tax treatment 274
- DTA tie-breaker issue 262
- Tax on internet ad sharing income 246
- CGT for NOn UK residents 220
- Apprenticeship Levy 202
- What are the tax implications of overseas sales through a UK based company? 191
- Capital Gains personal representatives 181
- Just checking re PSA 175