HMRC's website http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/employers/p45-employee-leaves.htm has a faq:
Q. Do I need to issue a P45 to every employee who leaves?
A. You must complete a P45 for any employee who is leaving your employment and for whom you have completed a P11 deductions working sheet in the current tax year. You have a legal obligation to do this. The exception to this is when you have only used tax code 'NI' (used when a student is signing a P38(s) declaration).
I take that to mean if you have an employee (e.g. casual) who has not worked in the current tax year, then there is no need to issue them with a P45.
My payroll software does not allow 'nil' P45s to be filed online, so up to now I've been manually entering them on HMRC's website (!), which now seems unncessary.
My question is what do other people do in this scenario? Surely it's better if HMRC know the person is no longer on your books, so they don't send any more tax codes etc. The employer helpline says they will pick this up when the employee starts elsewhere.
Also, the point at which the employee is 'off the books' in the abscence of a leaver P45 is a bit vague - presumably employment law would apply, and the employer best send the (casual) employee a letter.
- Tennants in Common - Changing % Share 46 1
- Gift between companies 68 2
- Physiotherapy And Vat 79 2
- Vat reclaim on invoice payable over 4 years 430 6
- Directors loan - no longer a director 215 2
- Why .... 662 8
- Does anyone know how to deal with crowd funding income 900 9
- NI Contributions in order to claim state pension 524 12
- We contribute a percentage of employees' salaries to a pension scheme set up by them - do we need to get involved in auto-enrolment? 417 5
- PPR for non-residents after 05 Apr 2015 265 6
- Relevant life plan 289 7
- Flat Rate Job Expenses 144 2
- Business Transfer Father to Son 99 1
- Pylon compensation - what am I missing? 445 7
- Annual director payments for a small limited company 324 7
- Jointly owned property 294 6
- Interim Accountants through Ltd co basis 173 1
- Going to miss CT filing deadline 174 2
- Categories on the VAT Flat Rate Scheme 289 4
- Flat Rate VAT - reclaiming VAT on Capital Purchase (bought on lease hire) 175 4
- Possible Partnership? 586
- Tax and accounting treatment on long lease granted from freehold 495
- New Fangled Penalties 396
- Clubs and Taxable Income 320
- Purchase of property freehold - capitalisation of costs 291
- Closed PAYE schemes and auto enrolment 245
- Loans to other companies 237
- Lenovo – Superfish & Komodia – is your PC vulnerable 207
- Outsource Data Entry 195
- Moving away from CCH software 192