HMRC's website http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/employers/p45-employee-leaves.htm has a faq:
Q. Do I need to issue a P45 to every employee who leaves?
A. You must complete a P45 for any employee who is leaving your employment and for whom you have completed a P11 deductions working sheet in the current tax year. You have a legal obligation to do this. The exception to this is when you have only used tax code 'NI' (used when a student is signing a P38(s) declaration).
I take that to mean if you have an employee (e.g. casual) who has not worked in the current tax year, then there is no need to issue them with a P45.
My payroll software does not allow 'nil' P45s to be filed online, so up to now I've been manually entering them on HMRC's website (!), which now seems unncessary.
My question is what do other people do in this scenario? Surely it's better if HMRC know the person is no longer on your books, so they don't send any more tax codes etc. The employer helpline says they will pick this up when the employee starts elsewhere.
Also, the point at which the employee is 'off the books' in the abscence of a leaver P45 is a bit vague - presumably employment law would apply, and the employer best send the (casual) employee a letter.
- VAT Registration 121 9
- Easy way to not pay tax 399 15
- Tax Credit Overpayment 109 6
- Who can wind up a Promissory Trust? 146 3
- Mortgage Interest and rental income 110 2
- Incorporation - any tax advantage? 402 10
- Using a Business broker to sell a clients Company.....??? 212 8
- VAT on Microsoft Office Accounting Professional 2009 225 4
- Builder using cash labour 200 2
- Threshold for RTI submission 178 3
- FATCA registration as an Agent 56 1
- IRIS Practice Management 202 3
- Pre- trading Expenses 172 2
- Payment for goods received on last day of quarter but refunded the next - what options are open here? 392 16
- Charities sorp - portfolio management fees 190 5
- If an invoice is sent and paid does a contract exist 344 12
- Need qualification back due to clients' banks needing my references 457 10
- ideas for a bonus scheme for accountants 171 1
- Surcharges on very late VAT 243 3
- Should I pass on my HMRC login 480 11
- Skandia using wrong address 1,493
- Nil Rate Band Trust - index linked debt by way of charge over property 830
- International interest certificate 449
- Stamp Duty on share for share exchange 424
- Sale of business 399
- NOVA 306
- farming-related R & D tax relief claims 218
- Bonus Bonds 183
- Management expenses for investment company 180
- Can Limited Company Buy Share of Rental Property? 175