HMRC's website http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/employers/p45-employee-leaves.htm has a faq:
Q. Do I need to issue a P45 to every employee who leaves?
A. You must complete a P45 for any employee who is leaving your employment and for whom you have completed a P11 deductions working sheet in the current tax year. You have a legal obligation to do this. The exception to this is when you have only used tax code 'NI' (used when a student is signing a P38(s) declaration).
I take that to mean if you have an employee (e.g. casual) who has not worked in the current tax year, then there is no need to issue them with a P45.
My payroll software does not allow 'nil' P45s to be filed online, so up to now I've been manually entering them on HMRC's website (!), which now seems unncessary.
My question is what do other people do in this scenario? Surely it's better if HMRC know the person is no longer on your books, so they don't send any more tax codes etc. The employer helpline says they will pick this up when the employee starts elsewhere.
Also, the point at which the employee is 'off the books' in the abscence of a leaver P45 is a bit vague - presumably employment law would apply, and the employer best send the (casual) employee a letter.
- Do you use commercial software for Self Assessment tax returns? 295 9
- Non VAT invoices 171 4
- Time to ditch Sage? 178 2
- CT600 - Credit balance in expenses? 256 8
- Travel is part allowable if combined with personal holiday 166 2
- Client in dispute with Customer over cancellation charge 1,373 32
- Fees 193 1
- Correcting earlier year CT600s 246 5
- ACCA Special Business Resolutions... 210 2
- Form 17 Download 131 1
- Claiming VAT on car lease 545 28
- Small hotel - food for personal use 376 4
- HMRC Information notice 988 24
- Recommendations for online payroll software 274 3
- Accountant Specialization. 381 5
- Accounting Web - What is happening? 1,754 42
- Sage Line 50 174 3
- Off topic slightly - any football fans out there? 195 1
- Can my company contibute more than 40000 to my pension in a tax year? 459 6
- CWF1 - is it still required?? 405 7
- Chart of account segments; Balance sheet vs P&L 759
- Any knowledge of salesorder.com 414
- Could and would anyone here carry out a hot file review of some non statutory audit work please? 364
- Electric Car 299
- S222 Charge 245
- Corporation tax penalties and fines on the CT600 205
- IP trans to holding company 195
- Software to Deal with Amazon and Ebay Sales 184
- AIA 180
- Best way to convert Sage data to VT Transaction+ 178