HMRC's website http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/employers/p45-employee-leaves.htm has a faq:
Q. Do I need to issue a P45 to every employee who leaves?
A. You must complete a P45 for any employee who is leaving your employment and for whom you have completed a P11 deductions working sheet in the current tax year. You have a legal obligation to do this. The exception to this is when you have only used tax code 'NI' (used when a student is signing a P38(s) declaration).
I take that to mean if you have an employee (e.g. casual) who has not worked in the current tax year, then there is no need to issue them with a P45.
My payroll software does not allow 'nil' P45s to be filed online, so up to now I've been manually entering them on HMRC's website (!), which now seems unncessary.
My question is what do other people do in this scenario? Surely it's better if HMRC know the person is no longer on your books, so they don't send any more tax codes etc. The employer helpline says they will pick this up when the employee starts elsewhere.
Also, the point at which the employee is 'off the books' in the abscence of a leaver P45 is a bit vague - presumably employment law would apply, and the employer best send the (casual) employee a letter.
- Taxfiler - SA100 - More efficient? 512 5
- See you all on the other side 645 6
- 12Pay 367 2
- dividends 498 2
- R&D 279 1
- Quarterly Reporting - The Logistics 1,136 17
- Auto enrolment contribution rates 420 3
- How long are you waiting for appeal reply 359 4
- Borrowing money to loan to company 328 1
- Mother as Guarantor for Son's mortgage 516 5
- Seeking a tax case 592 9
- When do we qualify for state pension? 455 4
- Companies house strike off 448 3
- Tax treatment of alterations to property 368 2
- Moving to the cloud 713 9
- Iris open space/doc exchange for SATRs 205 2
- How much to charge for payroll? 864 16
- Unincorporated charity transfer to CIO 193 4
- BTC vs Digita 1,072 29
- Has anyone tried calling HMRC to get tax on dividends put in code? 464 4
- HMRC Joint Filing 544
- Capital Contribution towards a company car 411
- Capital Reduction & Impact on EIS Shares 361
- IRIS and FRS 102 343
- Capitalising Finance Lease 309
- USA help 306
- National Minimum Wage issue on Directors joining a Workplace Pension 281
- Dormant company accounts under FRS 102 277
- Capital gains on rental property 253
- Sage Coretime 228