HMRC's website http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/employers/p45-employee-leaves.htm has a faq:
Q. Do I need to issue a P45 to every employee who leaves?
A. You must complete a P45 for any employee who is leaving your employment and for whom you have completed a P11 deductions working sheet in the current tax year. You have a legal obligation to do this. The exception to this is when you have only used tax code 'NI' (used when a student is signing a P38(s) declaration).
I take that to mean if you have an employee (e.g. casual) who has not worked in the current tax year, then there is no need to issue them with a P45.
My payroll software does not allow 'nil' P45s to be filed online, so up to now I've been manually entering them on HMRC's website (!), which now seems unncessary.
My question is what do other people do in this scenario? Surely it's better if HMRC know the person is no longer on your books, so they don't send any more tax codes etc. The employer helpline says they will pick this up when the employee starts elsewhere.
Also, the point at which the employee is 'off the books' in the abscence of a leaver P45 is a bit vague - presumably employment law would apply, and the employer best send the (casual) employee a letter.
- Entries on SATR for Non Dom with unremitted income < £2k 50 2
- Debiting private use proportion to directors loan account 250 8
- Website - Should I upgrade? 177 6
- Checking a contract 171 7
- Company Fuel - Reimbursement to avoid Benefit in Kind 159 7
- Playstation 4 - Allowable expense or not? 2,759 52
- Giving a seminar 298 16
- which software to use? 201 4
- Quickbooks or Xero or Kashflow? 340 6
- ICAEW student, Dilema with client & boss 1,230 24
- What is the best blog for practitioners to follow? 202 5
- VAT on garage rent 265 13
- Capital Gains on Inherited Property 383 15
- Has anyone got copies of the Tolley's CTA study manual pdfs from last year? 129 2
- Pattern for CTA 112 2
- Property scam victim 391 8
- 10 year debentures and CT 106 4
- Error or mistake claims (as was) 137 2
- jury service 242 6
- Related Parties Note 980 12
- Desperately seeking Susan, Sam or anyone with any other name 1,129
- Experience with Islamic investor following Sharia-compliant rules? 585
- Darwinpay Partnership Assessment 388
- S464A Charge to tax: conferring benefit & BIK 294
- Interest on Loan to a Company 195
- Bank interest in 'near' facility recall situation 179
- Agent fees to sell business 173
- Alphabet shares 169
- ACCA continuity of practice arrangement needed 162
- Residency 91 day rule 151