HMRC's website http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/employers/p45-employee-leaves.htm has a faq:
Q. Do I need to issue a P45 to every employee who leaves?
A. You must complete a P45 for any employee who is leaving your employment and for whom you have completed a P11 deductions working sheet in the current tax year. You have a legal obligation to do this. The exception to this is when you have only used tax code 'NI' (used when a student is signing a P38(s) declaration).
I take that to mean if you have an employee (e.g. casual) who has not worked in the current tax year, then there is no need to issue them with a P45.
My payroll software does not allow 'nil' P45s to be filed online, so up to now I've been manually entering them on HMRC's website (!), which now seems unncessary.
My question is what do other people do in this scenario? Surely it's better if HMRC know the person is no longer on your books, so they don't send any more tax codes etc. The employer helpline says they will pick this up when the employee starts elsewhere.
Also, the point at which the employee is 'off the books' in the abscence of a leaver P45 is a bit vague - presumably employment law would apply, and the employer best send the (casual) employee a letter.
- Repayment of Share Capital 83 2
- Entrepreneurs' Relief - we're too late, aren't we ? 526 6
- Sole Director Limited Company and Childcare..hat is most tax efficient way to do it? 389 6
- Joint arrangement but not an entity (JANE) ?? 93 2
- Travel expenses for director - flight 106 2
- Employee leaving mid month and Payroll Manager 403 10
- Self employed care worker 531 12
- Builing a gin palace but wants to rent out for a year first 220 1
- Over VAT threshold but now ceased trading 207 1
- Auto enrolment 444 8
- Audacity 944 17
- Annual Tax on Enveloped Dwellings 390 7
- Late registration for MOSS 246 5
- Revaluation of Brands etc 273 5
- Client right to working papers 380 3
- Seeking advice: Paying Funeral Costs 550 6
- Professional Clearance 1,068 24
- Self Assessment statement credit balances unallocated and getting repayment 289 5
- Illegal share transfer 464 5
- Uk vat on supply of training services to South African Airline? 182 2
- NHS finance professionals 537
- VAL231 408
- Mother and son property ownership 382
- Auto Enrolment and Foreign employers 360
- Foreign Pension Contribution 333
- Fines for late submission of the RDR 307
- vat gross profit percentage margins 287
- Employee's statement of sickness (SC2) form - no longer available as downloadable pdf 287
- Pre Season Invoice dated September how do you treat the VAT as not due until May 16 259
- SWAT AML v Anti Money Laundering Compliance Plus (AMLCP) 227