HMRC's website http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/employers/p45-employee-leaves.htm has a faq:
Q. Do I need to issue a P45 to every employee who leaves?
A. You must complete a P45 for any employee who is leaving your employment and for whom you have completed a P11 deductions working sheet in the current tax year. You have a legal obligation to do this. The exception to this is when you have only used tax code 'NI' (used when a student is signing a P38(s) declaration).
I take that to mean if you have an employee (e.g. casual) who has not worked in the current tax year, then there is no need to issue them with a P45.
My payroll software does not allow 'nil' P45s to be filed online, so up to now I've been manually entering them on HMRC's website (!), which now seems unncessary.
My question is what do other people do in this scenario? Surely it's better if HMRC know the person is no longer on your books, so they don't send any more tax codes etc. The employer helpline says they will pick this up when the employee starts elsewhere.
Also, the point at which the employee is 'off the books' in the abscence of a leaver P45 is a bit vague - presumably employment law would apply, and the employer best send the (casual) employee a letter.
- VAT on exports to EU 74 1
- 5th April 213 7
- Company buy back of shares from directors 170 9
- Please tell me what to do!! 262 6
- NIC thresholds - two employments 1,974 33
- Cash basis 128 5
- Cash basis 779 28
- Finding a Company UTR for a newly formed company 265 2
- Investor exit 241 4
- client threatening legal action 2,290 31
- When & How much of Income to recognise 129 2
- What are the options for writing off a Directors Credit balance 224 3
- 1 investor and 1 director 50% shareholding each advice please 340 14
- Undeclared rental income 2,576 23
- Desperate IFAs and Auto-enrolment Scare stories 556 23
- Partnership registered in error. No activities with view to profit. 331 9
- Rental income 149 2
- s455 Directors loan 207 3
- Insurance for Company Ltd. by Guarantee 75 1
- Incorrect penalty warning letters sent 1,187 8
- Skandia using wrong address 608
- FHL, period of grace and Entrepreneur's relief 327
- Employee rewards 307
- Gift of reversion and lease into trust by two different people - later PPR 273
- EPS Analysis - Change to EURO 237
- Etax Australian 200
- LLP in Construction Industry 165
- Selling On Amazon & Calculatign Prices/Vat 153
- Interest and late payment charges HMRC 140
- Re-submitting CT600 on paper 136