HMRC's website http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/employers/p45-employee-leaves.htm has a faq:
Q. Do I need to issue a P45 to every employee who leaves?
A. You must complete a P45 for any employee who is leaving your employment and for whom you have completed a P11 deductions working sheet in the current tax year. You have a legal obligation to do this. The exception to this is when you have only used tax code 'NI' (used when a student is signing a P38(s) declaration).
I take that to mean if you have an employee (e.g. casual) who has not worked in the current tax year, then there is no need to issue them with a P45.
My payroll software does not allow 'nil' P45s to be filed online, so up to now I've been manually entering them on HMRC's website (!), which now seems unncessary.
My question is what do other people do in this scenario? Surely it's better if HMRC know the person is no longer on your books, so they don't send any more tax codes etc. The employer helpline says they will pick this up when the employee starts elsewhere.
Also, the point at which the employee is 'off the books' in the abscence of a leaver P45 is a bit vague - presumably employment law would apply, and the employer best send the (casual) employee a letter.
- Welcome to the Saturday Club 1,454 65
- CURRENT VERSION OF p45 75 1
- Taxcalc , the hub of the problem 615 28
- Non-SA client with large capital gain 347 12
- Tax Penalty overeaction 596 11
- calculate mortgage interest 156 1
- Auto enrolment 1,647 27
- AIA 223 5
- Depreciation 196 1
- Help needed- Unable to fill CT600 form using HMRC software- service issue 158 3
- Loan repayments (personal) and profits 236 6
- Window Comb Binder Cover 193 3
- client can't/won't pay 476 13
- Help - Capital Allowance 225 6
- Splitting income from property rental or not? 262 6
- Is it possible to offset part Class 4 losses for year from one business against part profits of second business 274 9
- RTI Annual Scheme 1,196 18
- 5% penalty on late payment 291 3
- Sole trade and vehicle leasing 236 5
- HMRC SA software error? 213 2
- Form MR01 (Particulars of a charge) - does this need to be filed if you remortgage with the same lender? 798
- Copy Wanted 507
- Underpaid VAT assessment and relation to SATR 466
- Did you realise Google will not patch android exploit ... 458
- Latest phishing scam 296
- Entrepreneurs' relief 284
- Limited Company Garden Office - Minor Personal Use - BIK 279
- Corporate LLP with 30 June Year end - How to record on SA800? 259
- Supply teachers and Ltd Companies 246
- Cashback for opening business bank acct = trading income? 245