HMRC's website http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/employers/p45-employee-leaves.htm has a faq:
Q. Do I need to issue a P45 to every employee who leaves?
A. You must complete a P45 for any employee who is leaving your employment and for whom you have completed a P11 deductions working sheet in the current tax year. You have a legal obligation to do this. The exception to this is when you have only used tax code 'NI' (used when a student is signing a P38(s) declaration).
I take that to mean if you have an employee (e.g. casual) who has not worked in the current tax year, then there is no need to issue them with a P45.
My payroll software does not allow 'nil' P45s to be filed online, so up to now I've been manually entering them on HMRC's website (!), which now seems unncessary.
My question is what do other people do in this scenario? Surely it's better if HMRC know the person is no longer on your books, so they don't send any more tax codes etc. The employer helpline says they will pick this up when the employee starts elsewhere.
Also, the point at which the employee is 'off the books' in the abscence of a leaver P45 is a bit vague - presumably employment law would apply, and the employer best send the (casual) employee a letter.
- Dividend Waiver and Settlement Legislation 123 2
- Can you help me spot errors? 267 3
- Community awards 2014 - first category 65 2
- Payment plans for clients 253 3
- Suggested tips to become a better accountant? 400 11
- CT600 236 8
- format cell to exclude decimals 299 16
- Supply of service to EU community body exempt from VAT 42 1
- Lease 106 4
- Free invoicing software 486 4
- Digita Hosted Software 389 4
- signature required 857 31
- Do most of you still use MS Office? 1,288 21
- Payroll error by client on Moneysoft 161 5
- Thin Client recomendation 204 3
- Mileage allowance payment via payroll 179 5
- VAT Office Grimsby 154 2
- Stock Valuation when a partner dies 109 2
- Inheritance Tax and the 7 Year rule for property as a gift 123 2
- ethical- to continue to act or not? 1,294 15
- Auto enrolment excuses 1,298
- Feedback on accounts production software for IFRS 849
- Add T&Cs to Sales Order in Sage 540
- Credit where credit's due....... 333
- Buying goods in US and selling them to company in US 253
- TheTax Donut 220
- Double taxation relief - same income, different individual 180
- Semi retired FCA or equivalent 169
- Director's business mileage 144
- Sole trader CPD 144