HMRC's website http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/employers/p45-employee-leaves.htm has a faq:
Q. Do I need to issue a P45 to every employee who leaves?
A. You must complete a P45 for any employee who is leaving your employment and for whom you have completed a P11 deductions working sheet in the current tax year. You have a legal obligation to do this. The exception to this is when you have only used tax code 'NI' (used when a student is signing a P38(s) declaration).
I take that to mean if you have an employee (e.g. casual) who has not worked in the current tax year, then there is no need to issue them with a P45.
My payroll software does not allow 'nil' P45s to be filed online, so up to now I've been manually entering them on HMRC's website (!), which now seems unncessary.
My question is what do other people do in this scenario? Surely it's better if HMRC know the person is no longer on your books, so they don't send any more tax codes etc. The employer helpline says they will pick this up when the employee starts elsewhere.
Also, the point at which the employee is 'off the books' in the abscence of a leaver P45 is a bit vague - presumably employment law would apply, and the employer best send the (casual) employee a letter.
- HMRC now overriding SA bank repayment details on tax returns 481 8
- Expenses paid by director (the comapny owner) 153 2
- Write an article on latest tax changes for landlords. 560 18
- Posting invoices with balance brought forward 113 5
- Corrupt Excel File 660 10
- Website costs (intangible assets) tax relief 323 4
- Is Xero payroll as rubbish as I suspect it is? 1,949 43
- Entrepreneurs' Relief upon sale of a cash rich company 2,160 39
- Locked Out of HMRC Online Account - HMRC Not Responding 274 2
- Re-Training costs - tax reief 360 7
- Personal Tax 394 10
- Xerocon 2016 924 18
- Disengagement Help! 1,607 24
- Capital Gain on Share Disposal with Held Over Gains 109 1
- 64-8's amazingly quick 207 4
- last minute request 437 5
- VAT - Check on clients business 1,233 46
- Practical experience 892 16
- Rent a Relief for small husband and wife run guesthouse 267 2
- Mortgage Reference 301 2