HMRC's website http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/employers/p45-employee-leaves.htm has a faq:
Q. Do I need to issue a P45 to every employee who leaves?
A. You must complete a P45 for any employee who is leaving your employment and for whom you have completed a P11 deductions working sheet in the current tax year. You have a legal obligation to do this. The exception to this is when you have only used tax code 'NI' (used when a student is signing a P38(s) declaration).
I take that to mean if you have an employee (e.g. casual) who has not worked in the current tax year, then there is no need to issue them with a P45.
My payroll software does not allow 'nil' P45s to be filed online, so up to now I've been manually entering them on HMRC's website (!), which now seems unncessary.
My question is what do other people do in this scenario? Surely it's better if HMRC know the person is no longer on your books, so they don't send any more tax codes etc. The employer helpline says they will pick this up when the employee starts elsewhere.
Also, the point at which the employee is 'off the books' in the abscence of a leaver P45 is a bit vague - presumably employment law would apply, and the employer best send the (casual) employee a letter.
- Married woman dies owning marital home 449 5
- first year company tax return for a limited company 1,422 28
- Can I take action against my accountant for incompetence? 1,247 25
- Dividend dates 432 7
- Do I need to report this to SOCA 3,234 31
- Leaving Flat Rate Scheme for VAT 178 5
- Not a good start no broadband 449 10
- DEATH OF A SHAREHOLDER NO SHAREHOLDER AGREEMENT 125 2
- is this fraud? 701 12
- Has anyone read the implications of the Lisbon treaty? 697 14
- new software IXBRL and Accounts production? 194 2
- PPR CGT section 222 builds an extension 66 1
- Intrastat triangulation 58 1
- CGT 146 3
- Supplier refund treatment in Sage Line 50 186 4
- Question regarding gym training 375 6
- Sage Starting Again As Records are in a mess 162 3
- CIS Deductions 233 1
- Entrepreneurs relief available? 422 8
- Property initial recognition 166 2
- Property exchange - 8-year legal delay following fall-out 585
- Cancelled 342
- SAGE Payroll Data for Import to MS Dynamics AX 328
- Cancelled 280
- Have you staged yet for auto enrolment? 250
- Probiz 234
- VAT on non-profit making clubs (ECJ VS West Dorset Golf Club) 174
- Phishing emails purporting to be from CIPFA? 173
- Car leasing scheme 165
- Is this UK incapacity benefit taxable in UK or Jersey? 150