HMRC's website http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/employers/p45-employee-leaves.htm has a faq:
Q. Do I need to issue a P45 to every employee who leaves?
A. You must complete a P45 for any employee who is leaving your employment and for whom you have completed a P11 deductions working sheet in the current tax year. You have a legal obligation to do this. The exception to this is when you have only used tax code 'NI' (used when a student is signing a P38(s) declaration).
I take that to mean if you have an employee (e.g. casual) who has not worked in the current tax year, then there is no need to issue them with a P45.
My payroll software does not allow 'nil' P45s to be filed online, so up to now I've been manually entering them on HMRC's website (!), which now seems unncessary.
My question is what do other people do in this scenario? Surely it's better if HMRC know the person is no longer on your books, so they don't send any more tax codes etc. The employer helpline says they will pick this up when the employee starts elsewhere.
Also, the point at which the employee is 'off the books' in the abscence of a leaver P45 is a bit vague - presumably employment law would apply, and the employer best send the (casual) employee a letter.
- How to prove income for a mortgage if you have no SA302s 156 3
- Hmrc software 206 3
- Mehjoo 262 1
- Suppliers for Online Card Payments? 195 2
- What expenses can be claimed after a move to Cornwall? 102 1
- SA302 255 4
- Hosted email exchange 168 5
- South African Government Pension 178 1
- Amazon Fees, Sage VAT/Tax code T20? 158 3
- Can anybody help withe the RTI end of year process? 268 4
- VAT Bad Debt Relief 303 13
- How long are you on hold- IRIS Payroll 239 7
- Childcare vouchers and final month payroll Qs 145 3
- Stopping trading and de-registering for VAT 275 7
- New Email Extensions 188 1
- Are HMRC cutting out Agents in tax investigations? 309 2
- Dental practice incorpration 151 1
- Audit rules 176 4
- Go Cardless 310 8
- business entertaining deductibility 179 1
- Xtuple 507
- Qtac payroll for bureau 343
- Confused - Professional Association a Mutual trader, or not? 290
- Industrial & Provident Societies 282
- Data transfer from Sage Line 50 to VT Transaction+ 224
- Why would HMRC offer to close an investigation by contract settlement 168
- Domain name sale and limited company 166
- CIS schemes 160
- VAT Payable on Expenses for Non-VAT Registered Ltd Co 159
- Director legal fees in loose connection to the company 140