Lifetime Allowance Tax Charge
Client has lived for some years in Australia and is tax-resident there.
Formerly, he was UK resident and built up a substantial UK occupational pension, currently deferred.
The pension, which is in the region of £150,000 per annum, starts next year when he turns 65.
At that level there would normally be a substantial Lifetime Allowance Tax Charge not withstanding that he has applied for and received a Certificate for Fixed Protection from HMRC that fixes his LTA at £1,800,000.
However, it looks like Article 18 of the UK/Australia Double Tax Treaty might protect him from the LTA charge because it provides that pensions are only taxable in the state of residence of the recipient - in this case Australia.
I don't have too much experience of the operation of Double Tax Treaties so I would be very grateful if anyone could confirm that Article 18 of the Australian Treaty would protect the client from a LTA tax charge.
- Can I take action against my accountant for incompetence? 1,213 25
- Dividend dates 419 7
- Do I need to report this to SOCA 3,221 31
- Leaving Flat Rate Scheme for VAT 172 5
- Not a good start no broadband 440 10
- DEATH OF A SHAREHOLDER NO SHAREHOLDER AGREEMENT 113 2
- is this fraud? 692 12
- Married woman dies owning marital home 433 4
- Has anyone read the implications of the Lisbon treaty? 694 14
- new software IXBRL and Accounts production? 188 2
- PPR CGT section 222 builds an extension 61 1
- Intrastat triangulation 53 1
- CGT 144 3
- Supplier refund treatment in Sage Line 50 183 4
- Question regarding gym training 368 6
- Sage Starting Again As Records are in a mess 156 3
- CIS Deductions 231 1
- first year company tax return for a limited company 1,396 27
- Entrepreneurs relief available? 422 8
- Property initial recognition 163 2
- Property exchange - 8-year legal delay following fall-out 582
- Cancelled 341
- SAGE Payroll Data for Import to MS Dynamics AX 327
- Cancelled 280
- Have you staged yet for auto enrolment? 250
- Probiz 232
- VAT on non-profit making clubs (ECJ VS West Dorset Golf Club) 173
- Phishing emails purporting to be from CIPFA? 172
- Car leasing scheme 165
- Is this UK incapacity benefit taxable in UK or Jersey? 150