Lifetime Allowance Tax Charge
Client has lived for some years in Australia and is tax-resident there.
Formerly, he was UK resident and built up a substantial UK occupational pension, currently deferred.
The pension, which is in the region of £150,000 per annum, starts next year when he turns 65.
At that level there would normally be a substantial Lifetime Allowance Tax Charge not withstanding that he has applied for and received a Certificate for Fixed Protection from HMRC that fixes his LTA at £1,800,000.
However, it looks like Article 18 of the UK/Australia Double Tax Treaty might protect him from the LTA charge because it provides that pensions are only taxable in the state of residence of the recipient - in this case Australia.
I don't have too much experience of the operation of Double Tax Treaties so I would be very grateful if anyone could confirm that Article 18 of the Australian Treaty would protect the client from a LTA tax charge.
- Recommendations for payroll/AE software? 563 12
- Research and development - repayment timescale 202 5
- VAT reconciliation and VAT return on Sage 64 2
- Sole trader hid directorships. 338 6
- Halloween - do you celebrate it? 1,348 46
- Enquiry into tax return - how co-operative would you be? 234 5
- NOVA 538 1
- Clearing payments on account/ Sage 50 252 10
- Regional Development Grant 93 4
- Problem ex client...again.. 2,315 21
- Filing a P87 (professional fees) before year end. 70 1
- Company car without a salary 193 2
- Goodwill gesture for providing work 368 10
- Charity donations 1,036 21
- Offshore company transferring assets to a UK individual. 325 13
- Interest on HMRC contract settlement 134 2
- VAT on finance leases 194 3
- More HMRC on gov.uk 588 10
- CONVERSION OF DIRECTOR LOAN INTO EQUITY 296 6
- Second Incomes Campaign 261 3
- Bonus Bonds 388
- Insolvency and whistle blowing 375
- Transfer of funds into recently set up company 286
- TPR imposes first penalty notice fines 255
- Box 8 VAT Return - deposit payment 182
- Husband proposes to buy the car as Director unable to acess finance 166
- Finance Lease 154
- Company Car Lease 152
- Form 42 146
- Demerger Reserve 125