Lifetime Allowance Tax Charge
Client has lived for some years in Australia and is tax-resident there.
Formerly, he was UK resident and built up a substantial UK occupational pension, currently deferred.
The pension, which is in the region of £150,000 per annum, starts next year when he turns 65.
At that level there would normally be a substantial Lifetime Allowance Tax Charge not withstanding that he has applied for and received a Certificate for Fixed Protection from HMRC that fixes his LTA at £1,800,000.
However, it looks like Article 18 of the UK/Australia Double Tax Treaty might protect him from the LTA charge because it provides that pensions are only taxable in the state of residence of the recipient - in this case Australia.
I don't have too much experience of the operation of Double Tax Treaties so I would be very grateful if anyone could confirm that Article 18 of the Australian Treaty would protect the client from a LTA tax charge.
- Love is in the air 654 8
- HP agreement in Directors name but payments under company 720 19
- Another Sneaky Tax Hike! 822 8
- Personal Pension Relief in the Tax Code 356 5
- Paying Son 779 19
- CGT on lost shares/scam 400 5
- Sage Instant Accounts Complete De-install problem 282 10
- Auto enrolment confusion 2,066 47
- Setting up a practice 595 5
- Very large share capital by mistake 582 7
- VAT refund if only output tax on first claim 531 4
- 24 month rule and expenses 453 1
- Stamp Duty 310 4
- Physiotherapist and vat and agency work ( one for Les Howard???) 244 4
- I am 34 years old, am I too old to start a career in Accounting ? which is the best way to pursue it 1,843 21
- Incorporation of gp practise 429 1
- Client Paperwork Retention? 604 13
- Paid staff their normal salary instead of SMP 595 7
- Tax Overlap Reporting 442 4
- Pay rise - how to enter in Moneysoft 408 9
- DTA tie-breaker issue 306
- Tax Implicatins on a Directors Loan 297
- Foreign domicile status 290
- CGT for NOn UK residents 282
- Employer's pension contribution - need to be PAYE registered? 281
- What are the tax implications of overseas sales through a UK based company? 259
- Apprenticeship Levy 244
- profit or loss on furnishings and deed of trust 243
- Discretionary payment to sick employee 232
- Tenants in Common - Actual % split not written down 229