Lifetime Allowance Tax Charge
Client has lived for some years in Australia and is tax-resident there.
Formerly, he was UK resident and built up a substantial UK occupational pension, currently deferred.
The pension, which is in the region of £150,000 per annum, starts next year when he turns 65.
At that level there would normally be a substantial Lifetime Allowance Tax Charge not withstanding that he has applied for and received a Certificate for Fixed Protection from HMRC that fixes his LTA at £1,800,000.
However, it looks like Article 18 of the UK/Australia Double Tax Treaty might protect him from the LTA charge because it provides that pensions are only taxable in the state of residence of the recipient - in this case Australia.
I don't have too much experience of the operation of Double Tax Treaties so I would be very grateful if anyone could confirm that Article 18 of the Australian Treaty would protect the client from a LTA tax charge.
- IR35 deemed payment and dividends - practical considerations 112 1
- Annual tax investigation cover fee? 455 13
- Coding Notice 220 6
- UK company paying dividend to foreign shareholder 233 6
- New business - journal entries 390 22
- Is CGT roll over relief available for let property 219 3
- Payroll software 638 16
- Statutory accounts, current company address, or one that was correct at EOY? 254 5
- Are there Special Rules for Agencies? 389 10
- 100% Annual investment allowance on luxury cars 724 18
- B2B vat in the EU 182 4
- VAT on Hire Purchase 138 1
- Samadian effect on self employed student support workers 196 4
- Changes to class 2 NIC's 225 3
- Client RTI Shows payments not his 191 4
- LLP as member of LLP 134 1
- Why should I retain membership? 2,825 48
- Alerting clients versus walking away from clients 501 7
- Vat 302 7
- SA online - 4 hour limit 1,301 13
- Auto enrolment excuses 852
- Feedback on accounts production software for IFRS 718
- Add T&Cs to Sales Order in Sage 404
- Social investment tax relief 218
- Digita Hosted Software 212
- Call Centre Data Costs 199
- accounting for this transaction 183
- Buying goods in US and selling them to company in US 171
- Travel costs and contractors 166
- Problems with Sage 50 Payroll v21(2015) 161