Lifetime Allowance Tax Charge
Client has lived for some years in Australia and is tax-resident there.
Formerly, he was UK resident and built up a substantial UK occupational pension, currently deferred.
The pension, which is in the region of £150,000 per annum, starts next year when he turns 65.
At that level there would normally be a substantial Lifetime Allowance Tax Charge not withstanding that he has applied for and received a Certificate for Fixed Protection from HMRC that fixes his LTA at £1,800,000.
However, it looks like Article 18 of the UK/Australia Double Tax Treaty might protect him from the LTA charge because it provides that pensions are only taxable in the state of residence of the recipient - in this case Australia.
I don't have too much experience of the operation of Double Tax Treaties so I would be very grateful if anyone could confirm that Article 18 of the Australian Treaty would protect the client from a LTA tax charge.
- Gift to employee 335 9
- Transfer of a business 91 1
- You think HMRC are inefficient? 417 7
- I hate HMRC's voice recognition system - The Inept Interrogator 1,096 22
- Company Pension Contributions 2013/14 57 3
- Investment property where tenant lives rent free 393 8
- VAT Cross Border Invoicing 94 2
- Sage Import Data 282 6
- Slight twist on employment related securities 231 1
- Child and Working Tax Credits and sudden increase in investment income - does this trigger a claw back? 71 2
- Best time software for small practice? 193 2
- Residents Association Corp Tax 308 13
- private to company car? 353 9
- Which address 992 11
- Profit accruing in fiduciary or representative capacity 94 1
- Do I charge VAT for event I held in Paris 256 5
- PAYE Refund Farce At HMRC 954 15
- Car maintenance costs deductible against CT 252 6
- Does anybody still use a Filofax? 467 17
- Vat threshold issues 444 10
- DTR : TIOPA 2010 Section 42 471
- CTA study material 450
- Sect 102 TMA 1970 324
- Pre incorp expenses 301
- Relief on French Tax Deposit? 260
- Anyone have clients that use Pay4Later to offer customers credit? 248
- What is the tax position if I am working overseas but via a UK agency? 202
- Gift Aid after 5 April, before 31 Jan - Tax Credits 148
- Anybody have that old ACCA Student Training Record (STR1) 133
- Taxation of partners in an LLP following new rules 128