Lifetime Allowance Tax Charge
Client has lived for some years in Australia and is tax-resident there.
Formerly, he was UK resident and built up a substantial UK occupational pension, currently deferred.
The pension, which is in the region of £150,000 per annum, starts next year when he turns 65.
At that level there would normally be a substantial Lifetime Allowance Tax Charge not withstanding that he has applied for and received a Certificate for Fixed Protection from HMRC that fixes his LTA at £1,800,000.
However, it looks like Article 18 of the UK/Australia Double Tax Treaty might protect him from the LTA charge because it provides that pensions are only taxable in the state of residence of the recipient - in this case Australia.
I don't have too much experience of the operation of Double Tax Treaties so I would be very grateful if anyone could confirm that Article 18 of the Australian Treaty would protect the client from a LTA tax charge.
- Nominal Ledger of Company Accounts 20 1
- Registering a company late 300 11
- Invest in ''buy to let'' property 1,052 27
- Director taking salary, dividends and consultancy fees? 175 1
- Tax on income from discretionary trust in SATR 109 6
- Deferred Tax 246 5
- Late Registration for VAT 205 6
- Personal pension 247 4
- Is Co House "losing" Abbreviated Accounts? 1,268 17
- How much of your work is admin? 368 2
- Legal fees selling rental property 193 3
- physiotherapy clinic 600 4
- Running two businesses from the same premises 205 2
- Directors taking money out of business, how to record in sage instant accounts. 93 1
- VAT Registration for locum Doctors 325 8
- hMRand Customs Powers of Arrest 2,824 23
- Can someone help me please I don't know how to correct an error regarding an intercompany bank transfer on sage 294 4
- It’s our staff Christmas party this week, what did you do for your firm? 1,984 18
- When do consolidated/group accounts needs preparing? 122 2
- Preference shares treated as liabilities 124 1
- TheTax Donut 1,015
- Double taxation relief - same income, different individual 680
- Buying goods in US and selling them to company in US 624
- Follower cases 489
- Hive up 417
- Limited company purchase of property 417
- corporate hierarchy 383
- Accounting referance change & deficient accounts. 380
- LIVE chat, starting now 331
- AIA or IFA 216