Lifetime Allowance Tax Charge
Client has lived for some years in Australia and is tax-resident there.
Formerly, he was UK resident and built up a substantial UK occupational pension, currently deferred.
The pension, which is in the region of £150,000 per annum, starts next year when he turns 65.
At that level there would normally be a substantial Lifetime Allowance Tax Charge not withstanding that he has applied for and received a Certificate for Fixed Protection from HMRC that fixes his LTA at £1,800,000.
However, it looks like Article 18 of the UK/Australia Double Tax Treaty might protect him from the LTA charge because it provides that pensions are only taxable in the state of residence of the recipient - in this case Australia.
I don't have too much experience of the operation of Double Tax Treaties so I would be very grateful if anyone could confirm that Article 18 of the Australian Treaty would protect the client from a LTA tax charge.
- Paint Manufacturer Flat Rate Scheme 141 4
- Accountants' Error 692 13
- ICPA taxwise fee protection 143 3
- Scoot 181 4
- Zero Rated VAT on New Building 150 2
- Tax code for Companies House fees 198 3
- G'day IPA-IFA 661 11
- Why do HMRC have a different FPS liability to the amount I sent? 1,451 20
- VAT customer is registered in France, goods shipped to the UK 109 1
- Regaining my qualification 199 2
- Self-Assessment - NIC Exemption 235 2
- Recommendations for tax advice sole practitioner 228 2
- Auto enrolment 191 3
- Shareholder agreement 171 3
- Tax treatment of cashed in American Savings Plan 195 3
- Company Reorganisation 164 3
- Employee Loan 207 2
- IRIS - Personal Tax - 2013/14 - Page UKP2 464 15
- Statutory residence test - transit days 593 5
- CGT - Is a calculation required now? 148 1
- Skandia using wrong address 1,449
- Nil Rate Band Trust - index linked debt by way of charge over property 762
- Any views 696
- HMRC Employers Diary 522
- International interest certificate 423
- Stamp Duty on share for share exchange 388
- Sale of business 354
- NOVA 259
- Advertising services? 253
- IRIS Open Books problem 244