Lifetime Allowance Tax Charge
Client has lived for some years in Australia and is tax-resident there.
Formerly, he was UK resident and built up a substantial UK occupational pension, currently deferred.
The pension, which is in the region of £150,000 per annum, starts next year when he turns 65.
At that level there would normally be a substantial Lifetime Allowance Tax Charge not withstanding that he has applied for and received a Certificate for Fixed Protection from HMRC that fixes his LTA at £1,800,000.
However, it looks like Article 18 of the UK/Australia Double Tax Treaty might protect him from the LTA charge because it provides that pensions are only taxable in the state of residence of the recipient - in this case Australia.
I don't have too much experience of the operation of Double Tax Treaties so I would be very grateful if anyone could confirm that Article 18 of the Australian Treaty would protect the client from a LTA tax charge.
- Sole trader startup losses and PAYE income in same year 192 5
- Newly Started Practice 209 6
- Commission on holiday accrual 73 1
- error on companies house accounts 127 4
- Practice Company Secretarial Software recommendations please 161 2
- HMRC computer behind the times 195 3
- problems getting through to the ACCA technical helpline 109 2
- Benefit in kind calc, s.160 ITEPA 99 1
- Who's going to the next Tick & Bash? 352 6
- Is a property owner charging a peppercorn rent to a limited company acceptable 238 6
- Overtime etc for PT employees 171 2
- Generic Notification Notices 131 1
- ACCA, ACPA, IFA, ICPA 452 5
- Anti- Money Laundering - CIMA Practising Certification Application 118 1
- How do you get HMRC to refund overpaid PAYE and NIC 438 5
- RTI lost some data on laptop packing up!! 97 1
- Bank Requesting clients' tax residence 247 4
- Does This Company Need To File A Tax Return 149 1
- fraud 418 1
- Optimum salary for directors appointed part way through the year 246 3
- QROP pension input amounts 477
- HMRC BENCHMARK EXPENSES 441
- write off loan or loan to equity swap or both 418
- Sole trade business in UK, but the owner works from EU 269
- EPS and CIS deductions 261
- Construction CIS LLP Company 248
- Stamp duty on house transfer between spouses 215
- SAGE winforecast 181
- LIVE: Budget aftermath webinar 173
- Managing deliberate defaulters hmrc 166