Lifetime Allowance Tax Charge
Client has lived for some years in Australia and is tax-resident there.
Formerly, he was UK resident and built up a substantial UK occupational pension, currently deferred.
The pension, which is in the region of £150,000 per annum, starts next year when he turns 65.
At that level there would normally be a substantial Lifetime Allowance Tax Charge not withstanding that he has applied for and received a Certificate for Fixed Protection from HMRC that fixes his LTA at £1,800,000.
However, it looks like Article 18 of the UK/Australia Double Tax Treaty might protect him from the LTA charge because it provides that pensions are only taxable in the state of residence of the recipient - in this case Australia.
I don't have too much experience of the operation of Double Tax Treaties so I would be very grateful if anyone could confirm that Article 18 of the Australian Treaty would protect the client from a LTA tax charge.
- Increasing the personal allowance: A top priority? 1,304 47
- Self assesment losses 346 9
- Can a small company buy a painting as an investment? 237 2
- Payroll Software Recommendations 24 1
- Disposal of an opted property 198 3
- Industrial & Provident Societies 364 2
- Fee protection 968 19
- Payroll systems 433 8
- View on Absolute Accounts Integrated vs PTP vs IRIS 188 3
- dividend 267 12
- overdrawn directors loan 288 6
- Irish Taxation 175 6
- Employee becoming shareholder - can salary be reduced with compensating dividends? 70 1
- Incorporation and goodwill 127 2
- RTI and s18 ITEPA 202 3
- Advertising with Hibu nee Yell (Yellow Pages) 281 4
- What happens to the director's loan if the company was to go into liquidation? 143 1
- Telephone call from "Xero" 466 5
- Error on SA Tax Return 164 3
- Purchase of shares in a Limited Company 170 5
- Xtuple 568
- Qtac payroll for bureau 388
- Confused - Professional Association a Mutual trader, or not? 344
- Domain name sale and limited company 239
- Director legal fees in loose connection to the company 214
- Italian friend wants to set up a UK company to reduce taxes 212
- Multiple bodies and practicing certificates 185
- Tax on damages received 184
- Temporary non residence and CGT on non-UK asset 152
- Accounts consolidation spreadsheet 142