Lifetime Allowance Tax Charge
Client has lived for some years in Australia and is tax-resident there.
Formerly, he was UK resident and built up a substantial UK occupational pension, currently deferred.
The pension, which is in the region of £150,000 per annum, starts next year when he turns 65.
At that level there would normally be a substantial Lifetime Allowance Tax Charge not withstanding that he has applied for and received a Certificate for Fixed Protection from HMRC that fixes his LTA at £1,800,000.
However, it looks like Article 18 of the UK/Australia Double Tax Treaty might protect him from the LTA charge because it provides that pensions are only taxable in the state of residence of the recipient - in this case Australia.
I don't have too much experience of the operation of Double Tax Treaties so I would be very grateful if anyone could confirm that Article 18 of the Australian Treaty would protect the client from a LTA tax charge.
- Taxfiler - SA100 - More efficient? 846 5
- See you all on the other side 851 6
- 12Pay 613 2
- dividends 833 2
- R&D 382 1
- Quarterly Reporting - The Logistics 1,256 17
- Auto enrolment contribution rates 504 3
- How long are you waiting for appeal reply 503 4
- Borrowing money to loan to company 474 1
- Mother as Guarantor for Son's mortgage 613 5
- Seeking a tax case 735 9
- When do we qualify for state pension? 589 4
- Companies house strike off 716 3
- Tax treatment of alterations to property 536 2
- Moving to the cloud 803 9
- Iris open space/doc exchange for SATRs 238 2
- How much to charge for payroll? 974 16
- Unincorporated charity transfer to CIO 243 4
- BTC vs Digita 1,147 29
- Has anyone tried calling HMRC to get tax on dividends put in code? 560 4
- HMRC Joint Filing 586
- Capital Contribution towards a company car 437
- Marginal rates of tax 385
- Capital Reduction & Impact on EIS Shares 384
- National Minimum Wage issue on Directors joining a Workplace Pension 382
- IRIS and FRS 102 372
- Class 2 NI 365
- Capitalising Finance Lease 352
- USA help 333
- Dormant company accounts under FRS 102 320