Lifetime Allowance Tax Charge
Client has lived for some years in Australia and is tax-resident there.
Formerly, he was UK resident and built up a substantial UK occupational pension, currently deferred.
The pension, which is in the region of £150,000 per annum, starts next year when he turns 65.
At that level there would normally be a substantial Lifetime Allowance Tax Charge not withstanding that he has applied for and received a Certificate for Fixed Protection from HMRC that fixes his LTA at £1,800,000.
However, it looks like Article 18 of the UK/Australia Double Tax Treaty might protect him from the LTA charge because it provides that pensions are only taxable in the state of residence of the recipient - in this case Australia.
I don't have too much experience of the operation of Double Tax Treaties so I would be very grateful if anyone could confirm that Article 18 of the Australian Treaty would protect the client from a LTA tax charge.
- Any Scottish members out there? 9,119 340
- Treatment of goodwill in Consolidation 116 5
- Mortgage deposit Gift 409 18
- Profitable company wanting to buy an office 123 3
- property rental income split 238 3
- Shadow director or alternative? 459 4
- Does my client qualify for CGT Loss? 89 1
- EIS/SEIS capital gains exemption 80 2
- About to buy a block of fees. Any advice? 1,249 5
- Outsourcing iXBRL Tagging 394 21
- Use of home for storage 310 6
- VAT registration for self employed dentist??? 316 10
- where has the honest passion to help gone..??? 779 15
- Shutting down a company with creditors 1,228 21
- Shutting down losing Directors Loan 340 4
- VAT on stock sold at a loss 203 6
- Commercial property rental on disincorporation 80 1
- Payments on account coded out?? 291 1
- Late filing penalty for personal tax return. Reasonable excuse 363 9
- What should I do for 'free' 624 6
- Raiders of the Lost Tax File 1,182
- Chartered Accountant in County Down N.Ireland 400
- IPP (International Pension Plan) income 312
- National Insurance 306
- valuation of intangible asset FRS10 and FRS20 259
- Cass 5 FCA Client Money Software recomendation 232
- Unnecessary S9A Enquiries 232
- Non Resident 216
- Franchise income and costs 199
- UTR reallocated by HMRC 139