Lifetime Allowance Tax Charge
Client has lived for some years in Australia and is tax-resident there.
Formerly, he was UK resident and built up a substantial UK occupational pension, currently deferred.
The pension, which is in the region of £150,000 per annum, starts next year when he turns 65.
At that level there would normally be a substantial Lifetime Allowance Tax Charge not withstanding that he has applied for and received a Certificate for Fixed Protection from HMRC that fixes his LTA at £1,800,000.
However, it looks like Article 18 of the UK/Australia Double Tax Treaty might protect him from the LTA charge because it provides that pensions are only taxable in the state of residence of the recipient - in this case Australia.
I don't have too much experience of the operation of Double Tax Treaties so I would be very grateful if anyone could confirm that Article 18 of the Australian Treaty would protect the client from a LTA tax charge.
- PAYE versus Dividends 148 2
- Employee or partner 13 1
- Dormant company owns shares in another company 183 5
- The Cotter Case 180 2
- The complete uselessness of the British banking system 111 3
- HMRC Accounts Office - waiting an hour! 135 2
- Under Cash Accounting rules how do I account for a credit note issued outside the Corp Tax period? 57 1
- Fee agreed but client disagrees on amount 938 16
- Sole Trader business 152 1
- Transfer of sole trade to ltd co 152 1
- How will the taxation of non-residents landlord work? 144 1
- Giving a seminar 684 36
- Tax position on lease extension 175 1
- Boffin of the Year 300 10
- deleting customers on Sage 50 220 8
- Using Director's bank account to receive payment from customer 238 4
- Sage Depreciation 79 1
- Non sequitur 253 2
- Am i Liable? 882 21
- Sale of business being paid by deferred payments by buyer 170 1
- Desperately seeking Susan, Sam or anyone with any other name 1,299
- Experience with Islamic investor following Sharia-compliant rules? 640
- Darwinpay Partnership Assessment 425
- S464A Charge to tax: conferring benefit & BIK 332
- Quirky thread of the year: Community Awards 262
- Alphabet shares 221
- Agent fees to sell business 213
- ACCA continuity of practice arrangement needed 208
- Office recharges 170
- How to reclaim VAT for a non-EC UK visitor 150