Lifetime Allowance Tax Charge
Client has lived for some years in Australia and is tax-resident there.
Formerly, he was UK resident and built up a substantial UK occupational pension, currently deferred.
The pension, which is in the region of £150,000 per annum, starts next year when he turns 65.
At that level there would normally be a substantial Lifetime Allowance Tax Charge not withstanding that he has applied for and received a Certificate for Fixed Protection from HMRC that fixes his LTA at £1,800,000.
However, it looks like Article 18 of the UK/Australia Double Tax Treaty might protect him from the LTA charge because it provides that pensions are only taxable in the state of residence of the recipient - in this case Australia.
I don't have too much experience of the operation of Double Tax Treaties so I would be very grateful if anyone could confirm that Article 18 of the Australian Treaty would protect the client from a LTA tax charge.
- Client right to working papers 206 3
- Seeking advice: Paying Funeral Costs 514 6
- Sole Director Limited Company and Childcare..hat is most tax efficient way to do it? 287 4
- Late registration for MOSS 205 4
- Professional Clearance 1,017 24
- Self employed care worker 421 9
- Self Assessment statement credit balances unallocated and getting repayment 246 5
- Employee leaving mid month and Payroll Manager 332 7
- Illegal share transfer 428 5
- Audacity 857 16
- Uk vat on supply of training services to South African Airline? 149 2
- Company Strike off 1,805 30
- Soca or not to soca 2,087 34
- How to deal with an employee's at work car parking cost, paid for by the company 375 3
- Estate admin practicalities 211 1
- Cloud Accounting Software for Practitioners 1,482 23
- Duplicate employments caused by works numbers on Sage 313 5
- Cheapest PI insurance for accountant available? 1,774 31
- Joint owners of rental properties 347 6
- Capital stated on incorporation too low by several orders of magnitude. 331 2
- NHS finance professionals 526
- VAL231 406
- Mother and son property ownership 365
- Auto Enrolment and Foreign employers 353
- Foreign Pension Contribution 329
- Fines for late submission of the RDR 302
- Employee's statement of sickness (SC2) form - no longer available as downloadable pdf 280
- vat gross profit percentage margins 267
- Incorporated LLP partners, CIS and IR35 262
- Pre Season Invoice dated September how do you treat the VAT as not due until May 16 253