Lifetime Allowance Tax Charge
Client has lived for some years in Australia and is tax-resident there.
Formerly, he was UK resident and built up a substantial UK occupational pension, currently deferred.
The pension, which is in the region of £150,000 per annum, starts next year when he turns 65.
At that level there would normally be a substantial Lifetime Allowance Tax Charge not withstanding that he has applied for and received a Certificate for Fixed Protection from HMRC that fixes his LTA at £1,800,000.
However, it looks like Article 18 of the UK/Australia Double Tax Treaty might protect him from the LTA charge because it provides that pensions are only taxable in the state of residence of the recipient - in this case Australia.
I don't have too much experience of the operation of Double Tax Treaties so I would be very grateful if anyone could confirm that Article 18 of the Australian Treaty would protect the client from a LTA tax charge.
- Where do I declare dividends in HMRC's Computations software ? 52 1
- How to pay national insurance 450 14
- Landlord possible penalties for late registration for self assessment 120 5
- Director needs to withdraw 45k lump sum from company 58 1
- reduce rate VAT on conversion from 2 to 1 dwelling 87 2
- HMRC Email 257 5
- CIS. Why is it so complicated? 1,852 21
- Employment status 164 3
- BIM47080 and director training before trade starts 149 5
- Accounting Software for Small Practice 962 23
- Hannah's blog post about fish 323 4
- Overlap relief 623 16
- Timescale for S455/S458 reclaims 142 3
- Ex-gratia payments 191 4
- HMRC & daft penalty 533 5
- Fee reasonable or OTT? 1,791 21
- Bumper Holiday Pay 185 2
- s75 ICTA88 Management expenses - idiots guide 252 12
- Government Gateway 1,075 17
- Intercompany advice 94 1
- Theatre Tax Relief 474
- Has anyone been affected by the RBS payment breakdown? 366
- Windows 10 on-going support ... 362
- Straight line write off of Purchase Goodwill ??? 337
- Perkbox 303
- Self Assessment - What to enter on the return 288
- Compensation - Taxable or not then CGT or IT 263
- FRS 102 compliant illustrative accounts for an insurance company 257
- Document Management Systems 240
- WIP Software 223