Lifetime Allowance Tax Charge
Client has lived for some years in Australia and is tax-resident there.
Formerly, he was UK resident and built up a substantial UK occupational pension, currently deferred.
The pension, which is in the region of £150,000 per annum, starts next year when he turns 65.
At that level there would normally be a substantial Lifetime Allowance Tax Charge not withstanding that he has applied for and received a Certificate for Fixed Protection from HMRC that fixes his LTA at £1,800,000.
However, it looks like Article 18 of the UK/Australia Double Tax Treaty might protect him from the LTA charge because it provides that pensions are only taxable in the state of residence of the recipient - in this case Australia.
I don't have too much experience of the operation of Double Tax Treaties so I would be very grateful if anyone could confirm that Article 18 of the Australian Treaty would protect the client from a LTA tax charge.
- Recommendations for online payroll software 169 1
- . 137 1
- Accountant Specialization. 239 2
- Can my company contibute more than 40000 to my pension in a tax year? 199 4
- Rectify overpaid childcare vouchers, how? 151 2
- CT600 - Credit balance in expenses? 155 6
- Claiming VAT on car lease 428 27
- Capital Gains Tax on property with multiple uses 72 1
- Returning papers to ex-clients 585 7
- How to network with other Accountants? 672 5
- Correcting earlier year CT600s 109 2
- Freelance/Employee 625 15
- Agent Authorisation Issue 170 2
- CWF1 - is it still required?? 316 6
- Is it just me ... 260 5
- Duplicating Sales and COS but does not impacting bottom line? Legal? 279 4
- CIS registration when already registered for PAYE 111 4
- HMRC Agent Accounts - PAYE 337 10
- Taxable Benefit for Director? 217 1
- Directors exempt from AE? 1,516 18
- Chart of account segments; Balance sheet vs P&L 745
- Any knowledge of salesorder.com 405
- Could and would anyone here carry out a hot file review of some non statutory audit work please? 352
- Electric Car 288
- S222 Charge 237
- Corporation tax penalties and fines on the CT600 185
- IP trans to holding company 182
- Software to Deal with Amazon and Ebay Sales 170
- AIA 164
- Best way to convert Sage data to VT Transaction+ 155