Lifetime Allowance Tax Charge
Client has lived for some years in Australia and is tax-resident there.
Formerly, he was UK resident and built up a substantial UK occupational pension, currently deferred.
The pension, which is in the region of £150,000 per annum, starts next year when he turns 65.
At that level there would normally be a substantial Lifetime Allowance Tax Charge not withstanding that he has applied for and received a Certificate for Fixed Protection from HMRC that fixes his LTA at £1,800,000.
However, it looks like Article 18 of the UK/Australia Double Tax Treaty might protect him from the LTA charge because it provides that pensions are only taxable in the state of residence of the recipient - in this case Australia.
I don't have too much experience of the operation of Double Tax Treaties so I would be very grateful if anyone could confirm that Article 18 of the Australian Treaty would protect the client from a LTA tax charge.
- Do you design it or pick what's out there? 155 3
- £2000 Employment Allowance 29 1
- Import VAT can be set off against output VAT liability or not 22 1
- VAT registration threshold 587 21
- Anyone else seen incorrect tax code notices - rather worring! 663 16
- Does unpaid share capital attract s455 liability? 269 5
- First RTI P45 124 1
- Company Takeover Accounting policies 40 1
- EC VAT registration - place of supply 78 2
- How best to own a 4-way property partnership 121 1
- recovery of S455 on informal winding 157 2
- Gross sales to purchases 154 1
- I know ... 1,259 4
- What password safe app does anyone recommend? 697 18
- Tax on principal private residence 237 4
- extra 5p per mile for passengers 236 3
- What are the typical deductible expenses? 265 2
- Personal pension contributions 265 4
- Claiming tax relief on goodwill 333 4
- RTI Filing 955 20
- Residential Property Purchase Above £750K 704
- Using Sage with Sofa Categories 474
- One man Company and closing payroll scheme as none paid 309
- Does anyone have an unwanted ICAEW wooden plaque? 282
- Goods shipped inter EU and VAT Reporting 247
- growth voucher supplier 225
- Sage 200 and Access Dimensions reviews 189
- VAT on Gaming Machines 172
- transferring simply accounting 2010 from xp to windows 7 159
- Papilio UK Equity Release Mortgages Ltd 156