Limited Company Tax Return Issue
I am in the process of filing my first year accounting period for my limited company and after spending many hours of reading all the information on HMRC’s website and speaking to HMRC on the phone, I am more than a little confused as to what forms I should be filing in addition to the CT600. Am I an employer who employs myself? How can I be self employed and also an employee??
Firstly, enlisting the services of an accountant is not an option for me as I simply can’t afford one but seeing as my accounts are extremely simple and I have done my own tax returns before, I should be able to get my head around this...if someone is kind enough to spare a little time to explain things in basic plain English
Here’s the background: I have been self employed for many years, (sole trader basis, no employees, just me!) And have always done my own book keeping/accounts/tax returns. In April 2011 I had a career change and began working from home as a virtual customer service advisor. The work is provided via a company called Arise. This is on a self employed basis and you must set up a Limited Company. Basically, Arise pay me for the hours I work, paid into my business account, and this is what I use for my wage and to cover any expenses.
I keep my accounts very simple. There are a number of expenses I could claim (percentages of this & that) but don’t because my income is low and so is the amount of tax to pay, so I just don’t see the point in complicating things for the sake of paying a few pounds less in tax.
Accounting period is for 01/04/2011 to 31/03/2012
Revenue 7507.90 - total of all payments received from Arise
Wages 7068.00 - amount paid to self, purposely kept below the employee thresh holds for tax and national insurance, to keep the accounts simple and perfectly acceptable considering the amount of revenue anyway.
Expenses 344.93 - the only expenses claimed are those necessary for me to do my job (computer equipment/software/repairs & printing)
As you can see the accounts are very simple...and income very low, hence the reason why I have to (and want to) do this myself.
So, I have completed the CT600, using the software provided by HMRC. Fairly straight forward, although I was thrown by the ‘accounting policies’ part and probably haven’t done that quite right.
The question now is what other forms do I need to fill in to complete the process? I have received a SA103 but I’m not sure that this is the correct form to file. I have phoned the corporations tax office a few times for advise but based on their information I should be paying contributions for my employees, doing something about directors dividends, filling in self assessments, filing a self employed tax return and requesting employee tax codes (???)
Please, will someone just point me in the right direction, then I can get it right, pay what I need to and forget about it for a year!
- BA Cabin Crew Employment Expenses 1,463 5
- How much does the company pay 71 2
- Help with CGT please 82 3
- Lack of VAT Receipt 113 3
- Base value unavailable re. Capital Gain 310 6
- Benefit in Kind 297 6
- How do you find shareholders of a Cyprus Company ? 321 17
- Will I need to resign? 938 11
- Cocaine anyone? 669 11
- HMRC won't let me set up online DD for PAYE 257 4
- Anyone using BTC Accounts Production yet? 156 4
- Accounting for cash put into Ltd 200 3
- Allocation of Receipt from DWP 181 2
- Solicitors now, Accountants next 846 11
- Depression - HMRC penalties case won because of this illness. 549 19
- How come if you claim benefits you are not entitled to you either have to pay a 50% penalty or are sent to court and either fined or sent to prison (sometimes suspended) and end up with a criminal record. 720 13
- Personal pension 451 9
- Business rates consultancy 273 4
- Wrong tax code 189 6
- SELLING A PROPERTY at LOSS/PROFIT - CAP GAINS ALLOWANCE 115 2
- Hive up 517
- Accounting referance change & deficient accounts. 477
- corporate hierarchy 455
- Advice - 299
- Anyone had HMRC refusing to act on EPS database glitch? 246
- WWOOFers 242
- Art Gallery - Splitting a property between business and personal use 222
- Tax liabilities in USA for warehoused products 198
- The booking.com con 185
- Cocaine anyone? 170