Limited Company Tax Return Issue
I am in the process of filing my first year accounting period for my limited company and after spending many hours of reading all the information on HMRC’s website and speaking to HMRC on the phone, I am more than a little confused as to what forms I should be filing in addition to the CT600. Am I an employer who employs myself? How can I be self employed and also an employee??
Firstly, enlisting the services of an accountant is not an option for me as I simply can’t afford one but seeing as my accounts are extremely simple and I have done my own tax returns before, I should be able to get my head around this...if someone is kind enough to spare a little time to explain things in basic plain English
Here’s the background: I have been self employed for many years, (sole trader basis, no employees, just me!) And have always done my own book keeping/accounts/tax returns. In April 2011 I had a career change and began working from home as a virtual customer service advisor. The work is provided via a company called Arise. This is on a self employed basis and you must set up a Limited Company. Basically, Arise pay me for the hours I work, paid into my business account, and this is what I use for my wage and to cover any expenses.
I keep my accounts very simple. There are a number of expenses I could claim (percentages of this & that) but don’t because my income is low and so is the amount of tax to pay, so I just don’t see the point in complicating things for the sake of paying a few pounds less in tax.
Accounting period is for 01/04/2011 to 31/03/2012
Revenue 7507.90 - total of all payments received from Arise
Wages 7068.00 - amount paid to self, purposely kept below the employee thresh holds for tax and national insurance, to keep the accounts simple and perfectly acceptable considering the amount of revenue anyway.
Expenses 344.93 - the only expenses claimed are those necessary for me to do my job (computer equipment/software/repairs & printing)
As you can see the accounts are very simple...and income very low, hence the reason why I have to (and want to) do this myself.
So, I have completed the CT600, using the software provided by HMRC. Fairly straight forward, although I was thrown by the ‘accounting policies’ part and probably haven’t done that quite right.
The question now is what other forms do I need to fill in to complete the process? I have received a SA103 but I’m not sure that this is the correct form to file. I have phoned the corporations tax office a few times for advise but based on their information I should be paying contributions for my employees, doing something about directors dividends, filling in self assessments, filing a self employed tax return and requesting employee tax codes (???)
Please, will someone just point me in the right direction, then I can get it right, pay what I need to and forget about it for a year!
- How much to charge for Ltd company accounts ? 435 7
- private to company car? 125 3
- Does Freeholder have to be director of our RTM Company? 203 13
- Buy to let allowable interest 80 2
- We accountants are not the only ones!! 104 1
- Partner with an IVA 139 5
- HMRC Penalties - are they enforceable? 897 33
- Your fondest calculator memories 529 26
- Goodwill Valuation Prior to April 2002, with the intention of selling on due to personal changes 402 11
- Has been asked before but help needed 229 7
- Anyone having problems with IRIS OpenSpace? 205 6
- Is a Mercedes Vito a van for tax purposes? 296 4
- Can't understand my own electricity / gas bills 331 13
- Consequential loss claim 67 1
- Does anyone do payrolling of benefits? 132 1
- Sub-contractor provided with a vehicle 240 8
- Sale of an investment between group companies 107 4
- I hate HMRC's voice recognition system - The Inept Interrogator 403 12
- RTI - EPS - ??? 277 4
- That old chestnut 612 9
- DTR : TIOPA 2010 Section 42 449
- CTA study material 412
- Sect 102 TMA 1970 299
- Sage Forecasting - Print filename 275
- Pre incorp expenses 266
- Relief on French Tax Deposit? 234
- Anyone have clients that use Pay4Later to offer customers credit? 229
- Slight twist on employment related securities 204
- How to claim additional losses after mistake in CT return 176
- What is the tax position if I am working overseas but via a UK agency? 174