Limited Company Tax Return Issue
I am in the process of filing my first year accounting period for my limited company and after spending many hours of reading all the information on HMRC’s website and speaking to HMRC on the phone, I am more than a little confused as to what forms I should be filing in addition to the CT600. Am I an employer who employs myself? How can I be self employed and also an employee??
Firstly, enlisting the services of an accountant is not an option for me as I simply can’t afford one but seeing as my accounts are extremely simple and I have done my own tax returns before, I should be able to get my head around this...if someone is kind enough to spare a little time to explain things in basic plain English
Here’s the background: I have been self employed for many years, (sole trader basis, no employees, just me!) And have always done my own book keeping/accounts/tax returns. In April 2011 I had a career change and began working from home as a virtual customer service advisor. The work is provided via a company called Arise. This is on a self employed basis and you must set up a Limited Company. Basically, Arise pay me for the hours I work, paid into my business account, and this is what I use for my wage and to cover any expenses.
I keep my accounts very simple. There are a number of expenses I could claim (percentages of this & that) but don’t because my income is low and so is the amount of tax to pay, so I just don’t see the point in complicating things for the sake of paying a few pounds less in tax.
Accounting period is for 01/04/2011 to 31/03/2012
Revenue 7507.90 - total of all payments received from Arise
Wages 7068.00 - amount paid to self, purposely kept below the employee thresh holds for tax and national insurance, to keep the accounts simple and perfectly acceptable considering the amount of revenue anyway.
Expenses 344.93 - the only expenses claimed are those necessary for me to do my job (computer equipment/software/repairs & printing)
As you can see the accounts are very simple...and income very low, hence the reason why I have to (and want to) do this myself.
So, I have completed the CT600, using the software provided by HMRC. Fairly straight forward, although I was thrown by the ‘accounting policies’ part and probably haven’t done that quite right.
The question now is what other forms do I need to fill in to complete the process? I have received a SA103 but I’m not sure that this is the correct form to file. I have phoned the corporations tax office a few times for advise but based on their information I should be paying contributions for my employees, doing something about directors dividends, filling in self assessments, filing a self employed tax return and requesting employee tax codes (???)
Please, will someone just point me in the right direction, then I can get it right, pay what I need to and forget about it for a year!
- Which software for practice books? 294 6
- Company Car Purchased in Name of Director 107 2
- Concerned about RTI 2014 1,610 33
- Accountant software 274 7
- Accountant Pays Clients Tax 433 7
- HMRC SPAM AGAIN 61 1
- No Prrof of Posting of Tax Return sent by Post 412 13
- Can pre-registration vat be reclaimed? 220 4
- Playstation 4 - Allowable expense or not? 1,871 22
- Mileage and Corportation Tax 61 1
- Renting property to yourself 304 8
- Definition of "Ultimate Controlling Party" FRS 8 383 16
- Consolidation and subsidiaries with different period ends 96 4
- register as self employed? 118 2
- Who owns SAGE Data? 131 1
- VAT enquiry 83 1
- Write off of former director's loan 225 4
- A previous partnership, a dispute and their conduct now 254 4
- Capital gain or not? 142 3
- EC VAT 161 5
- Desperately seeking Susan, Sam or anyone with any other name 636
- CIS to 5/10/13 and HMRC Computer issue 484
- Experience with Islamic investor following Sharia-compliant rules? 451
- Darwinpay Partnership Assessment 276
- How to format a stock book 231
- S464A Charge to tax: conferring benefit & BIK 195
- Foreign income on Self Assesment 183
- Tax efficient holding company structure 172
- Investment property company accounts template 160
- Outlook 2007 with business contact manager not loading on new laptop 152