Limited Company Tax Return Issue
I am in the process of filing my first year accounting period for my limited company and after spending many hours of reading all the information on HMRC’s website and speaking to HMRC on the phone, I am more than a little confused as to what forms I should be filing in addition to the CT600. Am I an employer who employs myself? How can I be self employed and also an employee??
Firstly, enlisting the services of an accountant is not an option for me as I simply can’t afford one but seeing as my accounts are extremely simple and I have done my own tax returns before, I should be able to get my head around this...if someone is kind enough to spare a little time to explain things in basic plain English
Here’s the background: I have been self employed for many years, (sole trader basis, no employees, just me!) And have always done my own book keeping/accounts/tax returns. In April 2011 I had a career change and began working from home as a virtual customer service advisor. The work is provided via a company called Arise. This is on a self employed basis and you must set up a Limited Company. Basically, Arise pay me for the hours I work, paid into my business account, and this is what I use for my wage and to cover any expenses.
I keep my accounts very simple. There are a number of expenses I could claim (percentages of this & that) but don’t because my income is low and so is the amount of tax to pay, so I just don’t see the point in complicating things for the sake of paying a few pounds less in tax.
Accounting period is for 01/04/2011 to 31/03/2012
Revenue 7507.90 - total of all payments received from Arise
Wages 7068.00 - amount paid to self, purposely kept below the employee thresh holds for tax and national insurance, to keep the accounts simple and perfectly acceptable considering the amount of revenue anyway.
Expenses 344.93 - the only expenses claimed are those necessary for me to do my job (computer equipment/software/repairs & printing)
As you can see the accounts are very simple...and income very low, hence the reason why I have to (and want to) do this myself.
So, I have completed the CT600, using the software provided by HMRC. Fairly straight forward, although I was thrown by the ‘accounting policies’ part and probably haven’t done that quite right.
The question now is what other forms do I need to fill in to complete the process? I have received a SA103 but I’m not sure that this is the correct form to file. I have phoned the corporations tax office a few times for advise but based on their information I should be paying contributions for my employees, doing something about directors dividends, filling in self assessments, filing a self employed tax return and requesting employee tax codes (???)
Please, will someone just point me in the right direction, then I can get it right, pay what I need to and forget about it for a year!
- Love is in the air 654 8
- HP agreement in Directors name but payments under company 720 19
- Another Sneaky Tax Hike! 822 8
- Personal Pension Relief in the Tax Code 356 5
- Paying Son 779 19
- CGT on lost shares/scam 400 5
- Sage Instant Accounts Complete De-install problem 282 10
- Auto enrolment confusion 2,066 47
- Setting up a practice 595 5
- Very large share capital by mistake 582 7
- VAT refund if only output tax on first claim 532 4
- 24 month rule and expenses 455 1
- Stamp Duty 310 4
- Physiotherapist and vat and agency work ( one for Les Howard???) 244 4
- I am 34 years old, am I too old to start a career in Accounting ? which is the best way to pursue it 1,845 21
- Incorporation of gp practise 429 1
- Client Paperwork Retention? 604 13
- Paid staff their normal salary instead of SMP 595 7
- Tax Overlap Reporting 442 4
- Pay rise - how to enter in Moneysoft 408 9
- DTA tie-breaker issue 306
- Tax Implicatins on a Directors Loan 297
- Foreign domicile status 290
- CGT for NOn UK residents 282
- Employer's pension contribution - need to be PAYE registered? 281
- What are the tax implications of overseas sales through a UK based company? 259
- Apprenticeship Levy 244
- profit or loss on furnishings and deed of trust 243
- Discretionary payment to sick employee 232
- Tenants in Common - Actual % split not written down 229