Limited Company Tax Return Issue
I am in the process of filing my first year accounting period for my limited company and after spending many hours of reading all the information on HMRC’s website and speaking to HMRC on the phone, I am more than a little confused as to what forms I should be filing in addition to the CT600. Am I an employer who employs myself? How can I be self employed and also an employee??
Firstly, enlisting the services of an accountant is not an option for me as I simply can’t afford one but seeing as my accounts are extremely simple and I have done my own tax returns before, I should be able to get my head around this...if someone is kind enough to spare a little time to explain things in basic plain English
Here’s the background: I have been self employed for many years, (sole trader basis, no employees, just me!) And have always done my own book keeping/accounts/tax returns. In April 2011 I had a career change and began working from home as a virtual customer service advisor. The work is provided via a company called Arise. This is on a self employed basis and you must set up a Limited Company. Basically, Arise pay me for the hours I work, paid into my business account, and this is what I use for my wage and to cover any expenses.
I keep my accounts very simple. There are a number of expenses I could claim (percentages of this & that) but don’t because my income is low and so is the amount of tax to pay, so I just don’t see the point in complicating things for the sake of paying a few pounds less in tax.
Accounting period is for 01/04/2011 to 31/03/2012
Revenue 7507.90 - total of all payments received from Arise
Wages 7068.00 - amount paid to self, purposely kept below the employee thresh holds for tax and national insurance, to keep the accounts simple and perfectly acceptable considering the amount of revenue anyway.
Expenses 344.93 - the only expenses claimed are those necessary for me to do my job (computer equipment/software/repairs & printing)
As you can see the accounts are very simple...and income very low, hence the reason why I have to (and want to) do this myself.
So, I have completed the CT600, using the software provided by HMRC. Fairly straight forward, although I was thrown by the ‘accounting policies’ part and probably haven’t done that quite right.
The question now is what other forms do I need to fill in to complete the process? I have received a SA103 but I’m not sure that this is the correct form to file. I have phoned the corporations tax office a few times for advise but based on their information I should be paying contributions for my employees, doing something about directors dividends, filling in self assessments, filing a self employed tax return and requesting employee tax codes (???)
Please, will someone just point me in the right direction, then I can get it right, pay what I need to and forget about it for a year!
- Childcare voucher schemes 110 7
- Clothing 105 4
- VAT registration transfer 138 3
- Previous auditor threatening to sue our firm for unpaid fees 554 30
- Sponsorship & VAT 71 1
- CT/CO'S HOUSE DATES ALLIGNMENT 63 2
- Director drawings 366 31
- IRIS opentax login problems?! 317 3
- Online Payroll with Auto Enrolment 75 1
- HMRC SA302s 190 3
- What does the "K" signify 413 7
- Director or self-employed 113 1
- The Copyright Licensing Agency 123 3
- Reporting foreign income in Self-Assessment Tax Return 131 3
- What sectors to target? 187 7
- Adding employers clients on LinkedIn 111 2
- Capital Gains PPR and allocation of costs 241 11
- Charitable Company's Accounts 96 2
- client can't/won't pay 1,870 40
- Interest Relief 169 5
- Form MR01 (Particulars of a charge) - does this need to be filed if you remortgage with the same lender? 902
- Underpaid VAT assessment and relation to SATR 606
- Did you realise Google will not patch android exploit ... 574
- Latest phishing scam 528
- Cashback for opening business bank acct = trading income? 373
- Corporate LLP with 30 June Year end - How to record on SA800? 341
- Auto Enrolment Questions Answered 279
- Loan benefit after person ceases as director/employee 197
- Capital allowances in first basis period 183
- Sabbatical payments 172