Limited Company Tax Return Issue
I am in the process of filing my first year accounting period for my limited company and after spending many hours of reading all the information on HMRC’s website and speaking to HMRC on the phone, I am more than a little confused as to what forms I should be filing in addition to the CT600. Am I an employer who employs myself? How can I be self employed and also an employee??
Firstly, enlisting the services of an accountant is not an option for me as I simply can’t afford one but seeing as my accounts are extremely simple and I have done my own tax returns before, I should be able to get my head around this...if someone is kind enough to spare a little time to explain things in basic plain English
Here’s the background: I have been self employed for many years, (sole trader basis, no employees, just me!) And have always done my own book keeping/accounts/tax returns. In April 2011 I had a career change and began working from home as a virtual customer service advisor. The work is provided via a company called Arise. This is on a self employed basis and you must set up a Limited Company. Basically, Arise pay me for the hours I work, paid into my business account, and this is what I use for my wage and to cover any expenses.
I keep my accounts very simple. There are a number of expenses I could claim (percentages of this & that) but don’t because my income is low and so is the amount of tax to pay, so I just don’t see the point in complicating things for the sake of paying a few pounds less in tax.
Accounting period is for 01/04/2011 to 31/03/2012
Revenue 7507.90 - total of all payments received from Arise
Wages 7068.00 - amount paid to self, purposely kept below the employee thresh holds for tax and national insurance, to keep the accounts simple and perfectly acceptable considering the amount of revenue anyway.
Expenses 344.93 - the only expenses claimed are those necessary for me to do my job (computer equipment/software/repairs & printing)
As you can see the accounts are very simple...and income very low, hence the reason why I have to (and want to) do this myself.
So, I have completed the CT600, using the software provided by HMRC. Fairly straight forward, although I was thrown by the ‘accounting policies’ part and probably haven’t done that quite right.
The question now is what other forms do I need to fill in to complete the process? I have received a SA103 but I’m not sure that this is the correct form to file. I have phoned the corporations tax office a few times for advise but based on their information I should be paying contributions for my employees, doing something about directors dividends, filling in self assessments, filing a self employed tax return and requesting employee tax codes (???)
Please, will someone just point me in the right direction, then I can get it right, pay what I need to and forget about it for a year!
- Bank Requesting clients' tax residence 980 10
- Bureau payroll software and Auto Enrolment - which is the best? 108 3
- can a dormant company make an employer pension contribution? 177 8
- SAGE winforecast 233 1
- Trust 97 1
- VAT NETP and Tax Agents/Representatives joimnt and several liability 63 1
- Reverse charge on services between UK and IE 67 1
- Manually amending PAYE Code Number in HMRC Basic PAYE Tools 53 1
- Disclosure on Cessation Accounts 178 1
- Separate Pay runs for salary and commission 129 3
- printer paper for Certificate of Incorporation 221 5
- I'm losing the will to live... 163 1
- Sage 50 - How do I find the column headings when I export to CSV 94 4
- Auto enrolment 1,570 15
- Annual Report - How to? 273 10
- Director's personal expenses paid by the Company 261 4
- Client's company struck off 2,065 26
- Accountants not providing all required information 155 3
- 15% restirction on lease cars 135 2
- Do you get your clients to sign their EOY EPS submission? 1,132 17
- HMRC BENCHMARK EXPENSES 526
- write off loan or loan to equity swap or both 460
- EPS and CIS deductions 325
- Sole trade business in UK, but the owner works from EU 307
- Construction CIS LLP Company 298
- Stamp duty on house transfer between spouses 288
- Tax Investigation - Employee Travel 245
- Overdrawn director account 210
- LIVE: Budget aftermath webinar 203
- Services via intermediaries and new HMRC reporting requirements 187