Limited Company Tax Return Issue
I am in the process of filing my first year accounting period for my limited company and after spending many hours of reading all the information on HMRC’s website and speaking to HMRC on the phone, I am more than a little confused as to what forms I should be filing in addition to the CT600. Am I an employer who employs myself? How can I be self employed and also an employee??
Firstly, enlisting the services of an accountant is not an option for me as I simply can’t afford one but seeing as my accounts are extremely simple and I have done my own tax returns before, I should be able to get my head around this...if someone is kind enough to spare a little time to explain things in basic plain English
Here’s the background: I have been self employed for many years, (sole trader basis, no employees, just me!) And have always done my own book keeping/accounts/tax returns. In April 2011 I had a career change and began working from home as a virtual customer service advisor. The work is provided via a company called Arise. This is on a self employed basis and you must set up a Limited Company. Basically, Arise pay me for the hours I work, paid into my business account, and this is what I use for my wage and to cover any expenses.
I keep my accounts very simple. There are a number of expenses I could claim (percentages of this & that) but don’t because my income is low and so is the amount of tax to pay, so I just don’t see the point in complicating things for the sake of paying a few pounds less in tax.
Accounting period is for 01/04/2011 to 31/03/2012
Revenue 7507.90 - total of all payments received from Arise
Wages 7068.00 - amount paid to self, purposely kept below the employee thresh holds for tax and national insurance, to keep the accounts simple and perfectly acceptable considering the amount of revenue anyway.
Expenses 344.93 - the only expenses claimed are those necessary for me to do my job (computer equipment/software/repairs & printing)
As you can see the accounts are very simple...and income very low, hence the reason why I have to (and want to) do this myself.
So, I have completed the CT600, using the software provided by HMRC. Fairly straight forward, although I was thrown by the ‘accounting policies’ part and probably haven’t done that quite right.
The question now is what other forms do I need to fill in to complete the process? I have received a SA103 but I’m not sure that this is the correct form to file. I have phoned the corporations tax office a few times for advise but based on their information I should be paying contributions for my employees, doing something about directors dividends, filling in self assessments, filing a self employed tax return and requesting employee tax codes (???)
Please, will someone just point me in the right direction, then I can get it right, pay what I need to and forget about it for a year!
- Deduction from Salary 933 28
- Yorkshire Day 189 11
- pretty multi rainbow -coloured client spreadsheets 750 16
- Accounts Software 307 11
- Group Audit Thresholds 372 11
- Do I need a smartphone? 850 25
- Collection or business assets 159 4
- Incorporated when they should not have 418 13
- Directors pay adjustment from 1k to the magic 833.33 193 4
- Do I need to report this to SOCA 3,799 42
- VAT for client based in Thailand 51 1
- Why would they want his purchase invoices?? 840 22
- Doctor and Locum Work 336 5
- Deleted question? 123 1
- Accountancy Career 439 8
- Flat rate allowed but not used. 74 1
- Employee and subcontractor 198 4
- Help with HMRC investigation 402 7
- SMP reclaimable by employer 193 4
- calculation DTR restriction 129 2
- Property exchange - 8-year legal delay following fall-out 693
- Have you staged yet for auto enrolment? 545
- Cancelled 432
- Cancelled 366
- SAGE Payroll Data for Import to MS Dynamics AX 364
- Probiz 339
- Free-standing washing machine - unfurnished lettings 338
- Phishing emails purporting to be from CIPFA? 249
- Is this UK incapacity benefit taxable in UK or Jersey? 219
- Another HMRC computer glitch? 210