Limited Company Tax Return Issue
I am in the process of filing my first year accounting period for my limited company and after spending many hours of reading all the information on HMRC’s website and speaking to HMRC on the phone, I am more than a little confused as to what forms I should be filing in addition to the CT600. Am I an employer who employs myself? How can I be self employed and also an employee??
Firstly, enlisting the services of an accountant is not an option for me as I simply can’t afford one but seeing as my accounts are extremely simple and I have done my own tax returns before, I should be able to get my head around this...if someone is kind enough to spare a little time to explain things in basic plain English
Here’s the background: I have been self employed for many years, (sole trader basis, no employees, just me!) And have always done my own book keeping/accounts/tax returns. In April 2011 I had a career change and began working from home as a virtual customer service advisor. The work is provided via a company called Arise. This is on a self employed basis and you must set up a Limited Company. Basically, Arise pay me for the hours I work, paid into my business account, and this is what I use for my wage and to cover any expenses.
I keep my accounts very simple. There are a number of expenses I could claim (percentages of this & that) but don’t because my income is low and so is the amount of tax to pay, so I just don’t see the point in complicating things for the sake of paying a few pounds less in tax.
Accounting period is for 01/04/2011 to 31/03/2012
Revenue 7507.90 - total of all payments received from Arise
Wages 7068.00 - amount paid to self, purposely kept below the employee thresh holds for tax and national insurance, to keep the accounts simple and perfectly acceptable considering the amount of revenue anyway.
Expenses 344.93 - the only expenses claimed are those necessary for me to do my job (computer equipment/software/repairs & printing)
As you can see the accounts are very simple...and income very low, hence the reason why I have to (and want to) do this myself.
So, I have completed the CT600, using the software provided by HMRC. Fairly straight forward, although I was thrown by the ‘accounting policies’ part and probably haven’t done that quite right.
The question now is what other forms do I need to fill in to complete the process? I have received a SA103 but I’m not sure that this is the correct form to file. I have phoned the corporations tax office a few times for advise but based on their information I should be paying contributions for my employees, doing something about directors dividends, filling in self assessments, filing a self employed tax return and requesting employee tax codes (???)
Please, will someone just point me in the right direction, then I can get it right, pay what I need to and forget about it for a year!
- Late leaver notification 393 8
- What does PITA mean? 864 22
- Any printer recommendations? 222 7
- PAYE & NIC 301 22
- Corporation Tax disallowed entertaining 269 5
- Interim dividends 226 6
- How do I tackle fraudulent use of a clients SA tax return? 1,118 7
- proposed dividends 705 23
- Business loan not in client's name 128 1
- Car fuel benefit - changing basis 176 2
- VAT on Exhibition services 161 4
- Company Payroll 212 2
- Dates, more dates and cessation 133 2
- Out of date tax returns 293 2
- Filling in my self assessment 999 17
- ACCA CPD verifiable units 193 2
- Any chance of winning an Appeal with HRMC for late self assessment charges 385 7
- Deductible or not ? Working out of hotels /coffee shops 488 6
- FPS responses ... 557 16
- Nominal Codes 301 9
- Sanzar 502
- Digital marketing focus group 401
- Sage troubleshooting for employee who has previously claimed SMP 382
- Are commercial mortgage cashbacks subject to Corporation Tax ? 341
- Sainsbury's mangement 338
- Continuity Agreement 331
- Avanti Accounts 330
- Buyback 289
- Entrepreneurs' relief (ER) for EMI shares 237
- Aggresive sales from Iris 209