Limited Company Tax Return Issue
I am in the process of filing my first year accounting period for my limited company and after spending many hours of reading all the information on HMRC’s website and speaking to HMRC on the phone, I am more than a little confused as to what forms I should be filing in addition to the CT600. Am I an employer who employs myself? How can I be self employed and also an employee??
Firstly, enlisting the services of an accountant is not an option for me as I simply can’t afford one but seeing as my accounts are extremely simple and I have done my own tax returns before, I should be able to get my head around this...if someone is kind enough to spare a little time to explain things in basic plain English
Here’s the background: I have been self employed for many years, (sole trader basis, no employees, just me!) And have always done my own book keeping/accounts/tax returns. In April 2011 I had a career change and began working from home as a virtual customer service advisor. The work is provided via a company called Arise. This is on a self employed basis and you must set up a Limited Company. Basically, Arise pay me for the hours I work, paid into my business account, and this is what I use for my wage and to cover any expenses.
I keep my accounts very simple. There are a number of expenses I could claim (percentages of this & that) but don’t because my income is low and so is the amount of tax to pay, so I just don’t see the point in complicating things for the sake of paying a few pounds less in tax.
Accounting period is for 01/04/2011 to 31/03/2012
Revenue 7507.90 - total of all payments received from Arise
Wages 7068.00 - amount paid to self, purposely kept below the employee thresh holds for tax and national insurance, to keep the accounts simple and perfectly acceptable considering the amount of revenue anyway.
Expenses 344.93 - the only expenses claimed are those necessary for me to do my job (computer equipment/software/repairs & printing)
As you can see the accounts are very simple...and income very low, hence the reason why I have to (and want to) do this myself.
So, I have completed the CT600, using the software provided by HMRC. Fairly straight forward, although I was thrown by the ‘accounting policies’ part and probably haven’t done that quite right.
The question now is what other forms do I need to fill in to complete the process? I have received a SA103 but I’m not sure that this is the correct form to file. I have phoned the corporations tax office a few times for advise but based on their information I should be paying contributions for my employees, doing something about directors dividends, filling in self assessments, filing a self employed tax return and requesting employee tax codes (???)
Please, will someone just point me in the right direction, then I can get it right, pay what I need to and forget about it for a year!
- Dividend payment date 1,870 33
- Hollyoaks cast - changes due to Social Security Regulations 2,693 18
- Garage Conversion -Ltd Company Office 117 2
- Proceeds of Overseas Property Sale - Any Tax Implications 127 5
- Director hired as an individual 66 2
- Real names 523 20
- VAT charge needed on van sale? 93 2
- Company Secretarial Software 1,279 27
- Agricultural Land Hold Over and Roll Over 86 2
- Legal Advice Needed Bank Account Blocked 196 2
- Taxfiler - is it really good? 179 6
- Tax relief on licence costs 116 1
- Who owns the data 220 3
- Clarification over - VAT Box 8 - Flat rate scheme 155 5
- Sole Trader Fees 119 1
- Loan interest rental property 193 5
- Theatre as charitable company 47 1
- Peer to Peer lending 138 5
- What's the plural? 671 14
- Well well well 256 2
- Proposed Amendments to IAS 1 569
- Property exchange - 8-year legal delay following fall-out 432
- Accounting for Insurance Premium Financing 334
- IFA incorporation 312
- Mortgage interest claim on Buy to let hic up 299
- Can the receivers fees be allowed for tax? 296
- Moving into own BTL property - allowable costs 251
- SAGE Payroll Data for Import to MS Dynamics AX 239
- Will Ni be payable on the salary I receive abroad ? 231
- Sorry ignore me 225