Limited Company Tax Return Issue
I am in the process of filing my first year accounting period for my limited company and after spending many hours of reading all the information on HMRC’s website and speaking to HMRC on the phone, I am more than a little confused as to what forms I should be filing in addition to the CT600. Am I an employer who employs myself? How can I be self employed and also an employee??
Firstly, enlisting the services of an accountant is not an option for me as I simply can’t afford one but seeing as my accounts are extremely simple and I have done my own tax returns before, I should be able to get my head around this...if someone is kind enough to spare a little time to explain things in basic plain English
Here’s the background: I have been self employed for many years, (sole trader basis, no employees, just me!) And have always done my own book keeping/accounts/tax returns. In April 2011 I had a career change and began working from home as a virtual customer service advisor. The work is provided via a company called Arise. This is on a self employed basis and you must set up a Limited Company. Basically, Arise pay me for the hours I work, paid into my business account, and this is what I use for my wage and to cover any expenses.
I keep my accounts very simple. There are a number of expenses I could claim (percentages of this & that) but don’t because my income is low and so is the amount of tax to pay, so I just don’t see the point in complicating things for the sake of paying a few pounds less in tax.
Accounting period is for 01/04/2011 to 31/03/2012
Revenue 7507.90 - total of all payments received from Arise
Wages 7068.00 - amount paid to self, purposely kept below the employee thresh holds for tax and national insurance, to keep the accounts simple and perfectly acceptable considering the amount of revenue anyway.
Expenses 344.93 - the only expenses claimed are those necessary for me to do my job (computer equipment/software/repairs & printing)
As you can see the accounts are very simple...and income very low, hence the reason why I have to (and want to) do this myself.
So, I have completed the CT600, using the software provided by HMRC. Fairly straight forward, although I was thrown by the ‘accounting policies’ part and probably haven’t done that quite right.
The question now is what other forms do I need to fill in to complete the process? I have received a SA103 but I’m not sure that this is the correct form to file. I have phoned the corporations tax office a few times for advise but based on their information I should be paying contributions for my employees, doing something about directors dividends, filling in self assessments, filing a self employed tax return and requesting employee tax codes (???)
Please, will someone just point me in the right direction, then I can get it right, pay what I need to and forget about it for a year!
- Auto enrolment for one or two director companies 1,817 28
- CIS Deductions 105 5
- Company overdue but wants to be struck off 449 14
- Share swap 423 15
- Cleaners wages at small church -PAYE or self employed ? 473 10
- Limited Company - Personal Bank Account 2,535 45
- Paint Manufacturer Flat Rate Scheme 338 16
- Moneysoft Payroll Windows 8.1 Woes - Help! 820 17
- Machine games duty in quickbooks 55 1
- How to account fot Cross-border vat. 175 4
- Deduction from net or gross pay? 194 3
- Check my logic on this please? 255 1
- VAT Margin Scheme for Second Hand Watches 81 2
- VAT reports on trade debtors and trade creditors 228 6
- Late P45 215 5
- Know it alls (who don't) 589 13
- CIC accounts submission 103 3
- A change from the old Q v NQ debate 606 20
- Associated companies - CT small profits relief 269 11
- What does it mean?? 496 12
- Skandia using wrong address 1,564
- Nil Rate Band Trust - index linked debt by way of charge over property 864
- International interest certificate 475
- NOVA 332
- Subby expenses subject to tax & NI? 249
- Can Limited Company Buy Share of Rental Property? 241
- Management expenses for investment company 224
- Bonus Bonds 217
- Have we escaped Gift with Reservation of Benfit & Pre-owned asset charges? - Gift after benefit 206
- Help with tax codes on Sage 162