Limited liability and directors
Client is limited company, director and shareholders are husband and wife. Company dependent on husband working/generating income.
Client is considering a new 5 year lease for a business vehicle (akin to a refuse truck), as I understand it is an operating lease but have not seen the contract.
The terms is for 5 years, if the client does not fulfil the 5 year lease the company is responsible for the remaining lease payments from that point (although Lease company have indicated if they can re-lease the vehicle, the liability is lifted).
Client is concerned that if he is hit by the proverbial bus or incapacitated, his limited company would fold but what would happen with this potential liability.
My first thoughts that being a limited company 'protects' the wife and/or husband from personal liability, and said debt would go down with the business, am I right in thinking that there would only be recourse to the directors if they had acted unlawfully or entered into arrangements that are not in best interest of the company - this is not the case, company is profit making just dependent on the husband.
They don't have keyman insurance in place but do have personal insurance policies that cover a personal bank loan they took out to cover bank finance to set company up. Is this their risk point (ie no keyman insurance in place)?. Or would they need to ensure that any insurance policy covers this lease commitment also, how far does one take it??
Just wanted to throw it out there to see what experience others have of this
- share capital calculation 13 1
- Ltd Company 45 2
- Facebook Management 630 8
- Concerned about RTI 2014 1,862 47
- VAT on part of a closed pub 119 7
- Is all training VATable? 37 1
- Snotty HMRC letter - continued 138 5
- HMRC corporation tax software - how to enter negative expense 103 4
- Several employments - large tax bill remaining 153 3
- When will Private Principal Residence Relief cut will start? 63 1
- Flat rate vat error 170 4
- Accountant software 365 10
- Dividend paid to non-shareholder 62 1
- Dividend payments to spouses 212 4
- SME Direct Debit 510 10
- Linux Accounting Software 433 10
- Car leasing 335 15
- Tax residence 152 4
- Capitalising Intellectual Property 75 1
- Pension contributions limits 241 10
- Desperately seeking Susan, Sam or anyone with any other name 684
- CIS to 5/10/13 and HMRC Computer issue 496
- Experience with Islamic investor following Sharia-compliant rules? 462
- Darwinpay Partnership Assessment 281
- How to format a stock book 247
- S464A Charge to tax: conferring benefit & BIK 203
- Foreign income on Self Assesment 198
- Tax efficient holding company structure 186
- Investment property company accounts template 179
- Outlook 2007 with business contact manager not loading on new laptop 171