Loan interest on let property
Client extended mortgage on own residence to raise a deposit on their first let property. A buy to let loan was used for the remaining capital.
Mortgage interest has been claimed on the amount of interest paid on the additional borrowings on their own home that was used for the deposit. HMRC say the deposit mortgage loan on their own property which is not let is not allowable.
The additional borrowings were used wholly and exclusively for the purchase of the let property so shouldn't this be allowable?. The loan interest has been apportioned so nothing has been claimed in respect of the purchase of their main residence.
HMRC is also disallowing the buy to let fees as these are included in the buy to let loan and have been "capitalised and therefore included in the loan relief claimed". The loan relief claimed is only for the interest paid on the loan . I believed incidental costs of arranging business finance is allowed so the cost of these as well as the loan interest should be allowed.
Client has dealt with this themselves up till now so not sure if HMRC's decision is based on how client has put it to them.
Before I reply to HMRC I would like to be sure that the mortgage interest on the deposit is allowable and that the cost of the buy to let mortgage fees can also be claimed. Does anyone agree?
- Invoicing for monthly clients 173 4
- Tax - Paying Yearly 379 14
- Flat rate start date issue 91 1
- Do your DIY clients ever get their books right ? 297 6
- How do I correct a previous accountants major mistake on PAYE/SA? 528 7
- Entrepreneur's Relief Query 235 4
- Anyone using PracticePA? 283 5
- Tax on LLP members drawings not covered by future profits 663 26
- Seeking advice: CGT after divorce when house sold and neither party was resident 218 3
- New company uses old Bank Account 256 3
- Sage Drive Queue.dta file lock out 346 8
- When is commencing trading not commening trading 216 3
- Income tax: Interaction between new marriage allowance and new nil band on savings interest 201 1
- charities 236 3
- How to find difference in Sage bank rec 287 6
- Auto enrollment. What's the basis for contribution ? 153 1
- converting garage to use as office 360 2
- recommended auto-enrolment pension scheme providers 668 13
- HOW is anyone obtaining an EORI number prior to shipment? 146 2
- How best to split income on a Buy To Let - married. How do you decide beneficial ownership 1,245 11
- RTI Rollback to delete incorrect data 381
- Any thoughts on Capium? 347
- Vouchedfor.co.uk 296
- Motor Traders Assistant Bookkeeping Programme queries 271
- Tracesmart/Lexis Nexis AML software? Any opinions? 254
- Continuity of practice-ACCA 232
- Recommended International mobile phone coverage and costs? 179
- French ConnectionUK 175
- Can anyone explain Indian Minimum Alternate Tax 166
- APN's 160