Loan interest on let property
Client extended mortgage on own residence to raise a deposit on their first let property. A buy to let loan was used for the remaining capital.
Mortgage interest has been claimed on the amount of interest paid on the additional borrowings on their own home that was used for the deposit. HMRC say the deposit mortgage loan on their own property which is not let is not allowable.
The additional borrowings were used wholly and exclusively for the purchase of the let property so shouldn't this be allowable?. The loan interest has been apportioned so nothing has been claimed in respect of the purchase of their main residence.
HMRC is also disallowing the buy to let fees as these are included in the buy to let loan and have been "capitalised and therefore included in the loan relief claimed". The loan relief claimed is only for the interest paid on the loan . I believed incidental costs of arranging business finance is allowed so the cost of these as well as the loan interest should be allowed.
Client has dealt with this themselves up till now so not sure if HMRC's decision is based on how client has put it to them.
Before I reply to HMRC I would like to be sure that the mortgage interest on the deposit is allowable and that the cost of the buy to let mortgage fees can also be claimed. Does anyone agree?
- Easy way to not pay tax 68 2
- VAT on Microsoft Office Accounting Professional 2009 184 1
- Surcharges on very late VAT 210 3
- Should I pass on my HMRC login 428 11
- If an invoice is sent and paid does a contract exist 266 10
- Using a Business broker to sell a clients Company.....??? 124 2
- Was I rude 809 20
- Need qualification back due to clients' banks needing my references 311 9
- Paint Manufacturer Flat Rate Scheme 217 8
- IRIS Open Books problem 293 1
- Incorporation - any tax advantage? 297 7
- Company overdue but wants to be struck off 204 6
- Non-compete agreement 186 1
- Expenses claim for non employee 202 1
- Any views 741 1
- IRIS Practice Management 153 2
- Non Registered trader selling to Malta 114 2
- Pre- trading Expenses 109 1
- Dividend payments and shareholdings 183 3
- Corporation tax due date confusion 311 4
- Skandia using wrong address 1,487
- Nil Rate Band Trust - index linked debt by way of charge over property 825
- International interest certificate 448
- Stamp Duty on share for share exchange 423
- Sale of business 396
- NOVA 297
- farming-related R & D tax relief claims 209
- Bonus Bonds 180
- Management expenses for investment company 177
- Can Limited Company Buy Share of Rental Property? 169