Loan interest on let property
Client extended mortgage on own residence to raise a deposit on their first let property. A buy to let loan was used for the remaining capital.
Mortgage interest has been claimed on the amount of interest paid on the additional borrowings on their own home that was used for the deposit. HMRC say the deposit mortgage loan on their own property which is not let is not allowable.
The additional borrowings were used wholly and exclusively for the purchase of the let property so shouldn't this be allowable?. The loan interest has been apportioned so nothing has been claimed in respect of the purchase of their main residence.
HMRC is also disallowing the buy to let fees as these are included in the buy to let loan and have been "capitalised and therefore included in the loan relief claimed". The loan relief claimed is only for the interest paid on the loan . I believed incidental costs of arranging business finance is allowed so the cost of these as well as the loan interest should be allowed.
Client has dealt with this themselves up till now so not sure if HMRC's decision is based on how client has put it to them.
Before I reply to HMRC I would like to be sure that the mortgage interest on the deposit is allowable and that the cost of the buy to let mortgage fees can also be claimed. Does anyone agree?
- NI Contributions in order to claim state pension 255 5
- Lack of Quickbooks Online Coverage 341 6
- Risk Indicators Survey 124 1
- Closing down - who should buy whom? 653 32
- Deceased's Tax Return to date of death 46 1
- Jointly owned property 53 1
- Unpaid Fee's 596 10
- cold file reviewer needed 309 3
- SA302s - Lenders to accept non hmrc copies 921 17
- Professional Qualification 272 2
- Deferring taxable income until after 5 April 312 1
- Late Filing SA due to property income, individual was also a non dom for 15 years 183 11
- VAT margin scheme 147 11
- Auto-enrolment drivel 774 13
- We contribute a percentage of employees' salaries to a pension scheme set up by them - do we need to get involved in auto-enrolment? 202 3
- Company Dividends Received 151 2
- Is Corp tax payable on legacy received by bowls Club? 151 1
- Client information from previous accountant 476 8
- Question regarding A1 Form 178 1
- Maternity allowance 86 1
- Possible Partnership? 530
- Lunatics in charge of the asylum - Bluestone 523
- Tax and accounting treatment on long lease granted from freehold 472
- New Fangled Penalties 329
- Clubs and Taxable Income 272
- Purchase of property freehold - capitalisation of costs 263
- Loans to other companies 207
- Closed PAYE schemes and auto enrolment 187
- English Company Owning Property in Scotland 175
- Outsource Data Entry 158