Loan interest on let property
Client extended mortgage on own residence to raise a deposit on their first let property. A buy to let loan was used for the remaining capital.
Mortgage interest has been claimed on the amount of interest paid on the additional borrowings on their own home that was used for the deposit. HMRC say the deposit mortgage loan on their own property which is not let is not allowable.
The additional borrowings were used wholly and exclusively for the purchase of the let property so shouldn't this be allowable?. The loan interest has been apportioned so nothing has been claimed in respect of the purchase of their main residence.
HMRC is also disallowing the buy to let fees as these are included in the buy to let loan and have been "capitalised and therefore included in the loan relief claimed". The loan relief claimed is only for the interest paid on the loan . I believed incidental costs of arranging business finance is allowed so the cost of these as well as the loan interest should be allowed.
Client has dealt with this themselves up till now so not sure if HMRC's decision is based on how client has put it to them.
Before I reply to HMRC I would like to be sure that the mortgage interest on the deposit is allowable and that the cost of the buy to let mortgage fees can also be claimed. Does anyone agree?
- How to prepare and Finalize Vat company accounts 77 3
- Concerned about RTI 2014 2,420 61
- Can you recognize revenue on asset sold and bought back at a later stage? 66 2
- How to format a stock book 378 2
- Can you get tax deduction for legal fees on sale of debtors 240 8
- Investment property company accounts template 254 1
- New HMRC phone answering method ... 299 6
- Where can I get Quickbooks help 57 2
- Quickbooks expert needed 127 2
- Aggressive HMRC 1,250 14
- Charity reserves 63 1
- Have i messed up? 434 7
- Related Parties Note 308 6
- Client change of address for VAT - can't do it online?! 344 6
- Personal returns late information - when to get tough? 1,335 16
- Sage 50 Accounts - Opening Bank Account Balance Posted to Nominal 9998 Suspense Account 473 26
- RTI and Annual Directors Salary 253 1
- End of the party for dividends? 1,256 18
- Playstation 4 - Allowable expense or not? 2,391 31
- Disposal of property 103 2
- Desperately seeking Susan, Sam or anyone with any other name 978
- Experience with Islamic investor following Sharia-compliant rules? 538
- Darwinpay Partnership Assessment 351
- Tax efficient holding company structure 278
- S464A Charge to tax: conferring benefit & BIK 262
- auto enrolment - calculation of first pension deduction 209
- Charge out rates in London? 194
- Pension contributions higher rate extension? 176
- Personal consumption by landlord 169
- Interest on Loan to a Company 159