Loan interest on let property
Client extended mortgage on own residence to raise a deposit on their first let property. A buy to let loan was used for the remaining capital.
Mortgage interest has been claimed on the amount of interest paid on the additional borrowings on their own home that was used for the deposit. HMRC say the deposit mortgage loan on their own property which is not let is not allowable.
The additional borrowings were used wholly and exclusively for the purchase of the let property so shouldn't this be allowable?. The loan interest has been apportioned so nothing has been claimed in respect of the purchase of their main residence.
HMRC is also disallowing the buy to let fees as these are included in the buy to let loan and have been "capitalised and therefore included in the loan relief claimed". The loan relief claimed is only for the interest paid on the loan . I believed incidental costs of arranging business finance is allowed so the cost of these as well as the loan interest should be allowed.
Client has dealt with this themselves up till now so not sure if HMRC's decision is based on how client has put it to them.
Before I reply to HMRC I would like to be sure that the mortgage interest on the deposit is allowable and that the cost of the buy to let mortgage fees can also be claimed. Does anyone agree?
- Taxable turnover for VAT registration 99 6
- CGT on transfer of property 187 14
- Capital Event? 84 3
- The stupidity continues 1,806 81
- Transfer of property to director & shareholder 27 1
- Xero Training 322 2
- Do I need to make a P11D provision in Accs? 61 1
- Gift of asset between couple living as husband and wife 69 1
- 45p mileage - stupid question 166 2
- Two trades one individual - Vat registration? 362 4
- Cis refund for company 118 2
- CIS. Why is it so complicated? 2,424 26
- Clearbooks - creating a HP Account 145 5
- How to claim subsistence for working away from home 255 5
- Withdrawing company car 168 2
- What is IRIS World like? 456 11
- looking for a practice consultant 273 3
- RE assets introduced and rent 136 2
- AML report needed? 230 7
- Bank request To verify Accounts 332 6
- Has anyone been affected by the RBS payment breakdown? 449
- Straight line write off of Purchase Goodwill ??? 449
- WIP Software 313
- FRS 102 compliant illustrative accounts for an insurance company 296
- CGT, PPR and transfer of equity to spouse. 249
- No payroll scheme in place 247
- Do subcontractors on work for residential (student accomodation) construction 223
- Is there anything wrong with this? 218
- Small Part Disposal of Property 208
- Uncommercial property business 197