Loan interest on let property
Client extended mortgage on own residence to raise a deposit on their first let property. A buy to let loan was used for the remaining capital.
Mortgage interest has been claimed on the amount of interest paid on the additional borrowings on their own home that was used for the deposit. HMRC say the deposit mortgage loan on their own property which is not let is not allowable.
The additional borrowings were used wholly and exclusively for the purchase of the let property so shouldn't this be allowable?. The loan interest has been apportioned so nothing has been claimed in respect of the purchase of their main residence.
HMRC is also disallowing the buy to let fees as these are included in the buy to let loan and have been "capitalised and therefore included in the loan relief claimed". The loan relief claimed is only for the interest paid on the loan . I believed incidental costs of arranging business finance is allowed so the cost of these as well as the loan interest should be allowed.
Client has dealt with this themselves up till now so not sure if HMRC's decision is based on how client has put it to them.
Before I reply to HMRC I would like to be sure that the mortgage interest on the deposit is allowable and that the cost of the buy to let mortgage fees can also be claimed. Does anyone agree?
- How does one compete? 81 4
- VAT within EC 41 1
- Should small companies be audited? 1,013 42
- CIS? 244 7
- What does PITA mean? 607 15
- CGT base cost 408 15
- Help with small charity CT600 please!! 243 2
- Where has Portia gone? 8,900 143
- Late leaver notification 260 5
- Dividend and pension with no salary 331 4
- Accountex Exhibition 202 2
- Overseas Company 132 1
- You know you're an accountant when... 1,513 45
- Private use for Small hotel owner: historic rules 172 1
- Vat on solicitors charges 267 5
- Career change - how to get relevant experience? 1,089 11
- A little bit of politics 507 6
- Could i ask for a bit of help please. 381 6
- Filling in my self assessment 736 14
- Mileage claim restriction 392 3
- Sanzar 461
- Digital marketing focus group 380
- Sage troubleshooting for employee who has previously claimed SMP 354
- Continuity Agreement 297
- Are commercial mortgage cashbacks subject to Corporation Tax ? 283
- Sainsbury's mangement 278
- Buyback 268
- Avanti Accounts 268
- Entrepreneurs' relief (ER) for EMI shares 205
- Iris and Miicrosoft 365 178