Loan interest on let property
Client extended mortgage on own residence to raise a deposit on their first let property. A buy to let loan was used for the remaining capital.
Mortgage interest has been claimed on the amount of interest paid on the additional borrowings on their own home that was used for the deposit. HMRC say the deposit mortgage loan on their own property which is not let is not allowable.
The additional borrowings were used wholly and exclusively for the purchase of the let property so shouldn't this be allowable?. The loan interest has been apportioned so nothing has been claimed in respect of the purchase of their main residence.
HMRC is also disallowing the buy to let fees as these are included in the buy to let loan and have been "capitalised and therefore included in the loan relief claimed". The loan relief claimed is only for the interest paid on the loan . I believed incidental costs of arranging business finance is allowed so the cost of these as well as the loan interest should be allowed.
Client has dealt with this themselves up till now so not sure if HMRC's decision is based on how client has put it to them.
Before I reply to HMRC I would like to be sure that the mortgage interest on the deposit is allowable and that the cost of the buy to let mortgage fees can also be claimed. Does anyone agree?
- Small employers paying people when sick thanks alot! 2,771 27
- Value pricing 242 9
- Undeclared Self Employment 1,569 12
- Audit Required 116 3
- company secretarial software 147 2
- Tax repayment for 2013-14 156 3
- Elective DeductionsModel 66 1
- Papilio UK Equity Release Mortgages Ltd 189 1
- Rental Income 303 6
- Payroll 2012/13 109 1
- I have a pain 699 6
- Sale of assets - availability of AIA to the purchaser 89 1
- convert directors loan account to share capital 181 5
- Anyone else seen incorrect tax code notices - rather worring! 738 17
- Belated VAT Exception Application 127 3
- Cash flow 150 2
- New use of home - simplified method 256 4
- CGT and PPR and Lettings Relief? 271 5
- 2 year rule? Self employed. 403 13
- How long is filing an FPS meant to take ? 1,960 32
- Residential Property Purchase Above £750K 734
- Using Sage with Sofa Categories 502
- Does anyone have an unwanted ICAEW wooden plaque? 349
- One man Company and closing payroll scheme as none paid 343
- Goods shipped inter EU and VAT Reporting 265
- VAT on Gaming Machines 216
- Sage 200 and Access Dimensions reviews 203
- Non-Resident Director - UK Tax Position? 187
- transferring simply accounting 2010 from xp to windows 7 179
- Director Loan account operation 151