Loan interest on let property
Client extended mortgage on own residence to raise a deposit on their first let property. A buy to let loan was used for the remaining capital.
Mortgage interest has been claimed on the amount of interest paid on the additional borrowings on their own home that was used for the deposit. HMRC say the deposit mortgage loan on their own property which is not let is not allowable.
The additional borrowings were used wholly and exclusively for the purchase of the let property so shouldn't this be allowable?. The loan interest has been apportioned so nothing has been claimed in respect of the purchase of their main residence.
HMRC is also disallowing the buy to let fees as these are included in the buy to let loan and have been "capitalised and therefore included in the loan relief claimed". The loan relief claimed is only for the interest paid on the loan . I believed incidental costs of arranging business finance is allowed so the cost of these as well as the loan interest should be allowed.
Client has dealt with this themselves up till now so not sure if HMRC's decision is based on how client has put it to them.
Before I reply to HMRC I would like to be sure that the mortgage interest on the deposit is allowable and that the cost of the buy to let mortgage fees can also be claimed. Does anyone agree?
- signature required 761 30
- Employment Support Allowance fraud 250 6
- Mileage allowance payment via payroll 56 1
- Stock Control System for Ecommerce Website 253 2
- Dividend Waiver and Settlement Legislation 39 1
- Moneysoft and People's Pension 622 8
- When to leave the VAT FRS 118 6
- Do most of you still use MS Office? 995 17
- Corporation Tax return - more than one trade 205 2
- Direct debit entry query 70 2
- Use of home query 372 7
- Suggested tips to become a better accountant? 278 7
- EU eservices VAT change imminent 533 11
- CIS software 188 5
- Small bus. accounting software with departments 147 4
- ethical- to continue to act or not? 1,080 14
- Client handover 303 6
- format cell to exclude decimals 221 13
- Homing sandwiches 718 16
- Use of home Directors 121 1
- Auto enrolment excuses 1,284
- Feedback on accounts production software for IFRS 843
- Add T&Cs to Sales Order in Sage 535
- Digita Hosted Software 349
- Credit where credit's due....... 325
- Buying goods in US and selling them to company in US 250
- Flat rate VAT- other income calculation 212
- TheTax Donut 207
- Double taxation relief - same income, different individual 176
- Semi retired FCA or equivalent 154