Loan interest on let property
Client extended mortgage on own residence to raise a deposit on their first let property. A buy to let loan was used for the remaining capital.
Mortgage interest has been claimed on the amount of interest paid on the additional borrowings on their own home that was used for the deposit. HMRC say the deposit mortgage loan on their own property which is not let is not allowable.
The additional borrowings were used wholly and exclusively for the purchase of the let property so shouldn't this be allowable?. The loan interest has been apportioned so nothing has been claimed in respect of the purchase of their main residence.
HMRC is also disallowing the buy to let fees as these are included in the buy to let loan and have been "capitalised and therefore included in the loan relief claimed". The loan relief claimed is only for the interest paid on the loan . I believed incidental costs of arranging business finance is allowed so the cost of these as well as the loan interest should be allowed.
Client has dealt with this themselves up till now so not sure if HMRC's decision is based on how client has put it to them.
Before I reply to HMRC I would like to be sure that the mortgage interest on the deposit is allowable and that the cost of the buy to let mortgage fees can also be claimed. Does anyone agree?
- Accounts Software 171 6
- Have I dropped a major clanger? 2,359 22
- Accountancy Career 334 4
- Do I need to report this to SOCA 3,702 39
- Holiday Pay whilst on Mat Leave 101 1
- HMRC Agents Line 220 4
- calculation DTR restriction 94 1
- Company Director In Prison 465 11
- SMP reclaimable by employer 90 1
- AWeb - download file 184 3
- Charity work 251 11
- Help with HMRC investigation 271 6
- Director Drawings 191 5
- Subcontractor and CIS Deductions made by Contractor 278 13
- Managing Employee Expenses 241 7
- Collection or business assets 117 1
- Incorporated when they should not have 277 8
- Tax position re this lease? 372 9
- Do I need a smartphone? 734 23
- Is compensation for surrender of a lease subject to VAT 109 2
- Property exchange - 8-year legal delay following fall-out 684
- Have you staged yet for auto enrolment? 523
- Cancelled 428
- Cancelled 366
- SAGE Payroll Data for Import to MS Dynamics AX 362
- Probiz 338
- Free-standing washing machine - unfurnished lettings 329
- Phishing emails purporting to be from CIPFA? 244
- Is this UK incapacity benefit taxable in UK or Jersey? 218
- Another HMRC computer glitch? 204