Loan interest on let property
Client extended mortgage on own residence to raise a deposit on their first let property. A buy to let loan was used for the remaining capital.
Mortgage interest has been claimed on the amount of interest paid on the additional borrowings on their own home that was used for the deposit. HMRC say the deposit mortgage loan on their own property which is not let is not allowable.
The additional borrowings were used wholly and exclusively for the purchase of the let property so shouldn't this be allowable?. The loan interest has been apportioned so nothing has been claimed in respect of the purchase of their main residence.
HMRC is also disallowing the buy to let fees as these are included in the buy to let loan and have been "capitalised and therefore included in the loan relief claimed". The loan relief claimed is only for the interest paid on the loan . I believed incidental costs of arranging business finance is allowed so the cost of these as well as the loan interest should be allowed.
Client has dealt with this themselves up till now so not sure if HMRC's decision is based on how client has put it to them.
Before I reply to HMRC I would like to be sure that the mortgage interest on the deposit is allowable and that the cost of the buy to let mortgage fees can also be claimed. Does anyone agree?
- VAT Option to tax 446 16
- Brain freeze - loss on disposal of company car 140 5
- Capital allowance vehicle exchange 183 7
- S162 and Capital Allowances 124 2
- Director leaving in month 1 103 2
- Ex Gratia payments 64 1
- HMRC chasing club for unpaid fees 244 3
- Unaudited accounts and an accountant’s certificate of confirmation 141 4
- Selling assets to yourself ? 183 3
- 24 Month Rule - New Employer 179 3
- Director's remuneration accrual 165 4
- IHT - clawback of BPR 46 1
- EIS - connection through employment 92 2
- HMRC Dispensation - How long does it last for? 240 3
- Electronically supplied services - B2B 50 1
- CIS and Close Company 87 2
- Correct tax & VAT treatment of local overnight expenses 225 4
- Secondment expenses 152 3
- Is VAT payable on insurance claims received ?? 122 3
- late vat registration and immediate deregistration 138 3
- Residential Property Purchase Above £750K 906
- Using Sage with Sofa Categories 637
- Free Tax Legislation? 401
- Director Loan account operation 396
- Understanding the implications of January 2015 VAT changes for downloads on threshold for VAT registration 332
- transferring simply accounting 2010 from xp to windows 7 318
- Sage 200 and Access Dimensions reviews 284
- rent-a-room allowance for part of the year 222
- Paye procedures for CVA 217
- HMRC Second Income Campaign - not so much a question as heads up 182