Loan interest on let property
Client extended mortgage on own residence to raise a deposit on their first let property. A buy to let loan was used for the remaining capital.
Mortgage interest has been claimed on the amount of interest paid on the additional borrowings on their own home that was used for the deposit. HMRC say the deposit mortgage loan on their own property which is not let is not allowable.
The additional borrowings were used wholly and exclusively for the purchase of the let property so shouldn't this be allowable?. The loan interest has been apportioned so nothing has been claimed in respect of the purchase of their main residence.
HMRC is also disallowing the buy to let fees as these are included in the buy to let loan and have been "capitalised and therefore included in the loan relief claimed". The loan relief claimed is only for the interest paid on the loan . I believed incidental costs of arranging business finance is allowed so the cost of these as well as the loan interest should be allowed.
Client has dealt with this themselves up till now so not sure if HMRC's decision is based on how client has put it to them.
Before I reply to HMRC I would like to be sure that the mortgage interest on the deposit is allowable and that the cost of the buy to let mortgage fees can also be claimed. Does anyone agree?
- Family Partnership 179 4
- Signed accounts for bank 579 12
- NOVA declaration 74 1
- P11D Car Value 205 5
- Business valuation advice 686 18
- Auto enrolment: What’s your plan? 1,436 16
- Are any of you members of The Institute of Financial Accountants - Accountnats certificate 1,206 23
- Can anybody recommend any software 219 2
- Stand alone practice management software 2,079 26
- 2011 Self Assessment Tax return form 112 1
- dividend date - whose income is it? 366 5
- CIC Abbreviated Accounts 105 3
- What route into accountancy would you recommend? 759 11
- flat rate scheme 2,246 41
- HMRC Postal Delays 403 10
- Legal advisor recommendation please 301 5
- Closure of PAYE scheme 211 2
- How can a childcare facility mitigate vat 201 2
- Dividends allowed on ordinary shares transferred during the year?? 208 3
- Termination Payment 529 15