Loan interest on let property
Client extended mortgage on own residence to raise a deposit on their first let property. A buy to let loan was used for the remaining capital.
Mortgage interest has been claimed on the amount of interest paid on the additional borrowings on their own home that was used for the deposit. HMRC say the deposit mortgage loan on their own property which is not let is not allowable.
The additional borrowings were used wholly and exclusively for the purchase of the let property so shouldn't this be allowable?. The loan interest has been apportioned so nothing has been claimed in respect of the purchase of their main residence.
HMRC is also disallowing the buy to let fees as these are included in the buy to let loan and have been "capitalised and therefore included in the loan relief claimed". The loan relief claimed is only for the interest paid on the loan . I believed incidental costs of arranging business finance is allowed so the cost of these as well as the loan interest should be allowed.
Client has dealt with this themselves up till now so not sure if HMRC's decision is based on how client has put it to them.
Before I reply to HMRC I would like to be sure that the mortgage interest on the deposit is allowable and that the cost of the buy to let mortgage fees can also be claimed. Does anyone agree?
- Employee leaving mid month and Payroll Manager 338 8
- Revaluation of Brands etc 245 5
- Self employed care worker 447 10
- Client right to working papers 244 3
- Seeking advice: Paying Funeral Costs 521 6
- Sole Director Limited Company and Childcare..hat is most tax efficient way to do it? 303 4
- Late registration for MOSS 217 4
- Professional Clearance 1,025 24
- Self Assessment statement credit balances unallocated and getting repayment 253 5
- Illegal share transfer 432 5
- Audacity 870 16
- Uk vat on supply of training services to South African Airline? 157 2
- Company Strike off 1,818 30
- Soca or not to soca 2,108 34
- How to deal with an employee's at work car parking cost, paid for by the company 380 3
- Estate admin practicalities 214 1
- Cloud Accounting Software for Practitioners 1,489 23
- Duplicate employments caused by works numbers on Sage 319 5
- Cheapest PI insurance for accountant available? 1,776 31
- Joint owners of rental properties 352 6
- NHS finance professionals 528
- VAL231 406
- Mother and son property ownership 367
- Auto Enrolment and Foreign employers 354
- Foreign Pension Contribution 330
- Fines for late submission of the RDR 303
- Employee's statement of sickness (SC2) form - no longer available as downloadable pdf 282
- vat gross profit percentage margins 267
- Incorporated LLP partners, CIS and IR35 262
- Pre Season Invoice dated September how do you treat the VAT as not due until May 16 253