Loan interest on let property
Client extended mortgage on own residence to raise a deposit on their first let property. A buy to let loan was used for the remaining capital.
Mortgage interest has been claimed on the amount of interest paid on the additional borrowings on their own home that was used for the deposit. HMRC say the deposit mortgage loan on their own property which is not let is not allowable.
The additional borrowings were used wholly and exclusively for the purchase of the let property so shouldn't this be allowable?. The loan interest has been apportioned so nothing has been claimed in respect of the purchase of their main residence.
HMRC is also disallowing the buy to let fees as these are included in the buy to let loan and have been "capitalised and therefore included in the loan relief claimed". The loan relief claimed is only for the interest paid on the loan . I believed incidental costs of arranging business finance is allowed so the cost of these as well as the loan interest should be allowed.
Client has dealt with this themselves up till now so not sure if HMRC's decision is based on how client has put it to them.
Before I reply to HMRC I would like to be sure that the mortgage interest on the deposit is allowable and that the cost of the buy to let mortgage fees can also be claimed. Does anyone agree?
- Auto enrolment confusion 1,727 39
- I am 34 years old, am I too old to start a career in Accounting ? which is the best way to pursue it 203 7
- Sage Instant Accounts Complete De-install problem 60 2
- Taxfiler been down since mid-afternoon 127 5
- Anyone having problems with Taxfiler 451 17
- Paid too much !! 177 1
- Gifting Shares to a Limited Company 84 1
- Company separation for Wholesale & Retail businesses 68 1
- Selling a VAT Qualifying vehicle at a loss 70 1
- Paying dividends to Ordinary shares with different nominal values 472 15
- 2012 13 HMRC QUERY 740 11
- Sports Sponsorship 116 1
- New Shareholder and Purchase of Own Share 241 17
- Opt To Tax Refund 210 2
- Divorcing husband, both 50% owners of a Ltd business 207 6
- Is the CT61 return dead? 1,311 14
- Best software for small practice? 605 19
- How did you recalculate your payroll fees 1,263 21
- HMRC Enquiry 477 2
- Car purchase Lease or Buy 225 7
- Self employed and HMRC Worldwide Subsistence Rates 764
- Interest paid - do new rules affect Tax Credits? 454
- Market Invoice (P2P invoice discounting) tax treatment 271
- DTA tie-breaker issue 261
- Tax on internet ad sharing income 244
- Credit against UK NI for NI paid to EEC Countries 223
- CGT for NOn UK residents 216
- Apprenticeship Levy 195
- What are the tax implications of overseas sales through a UK based company? 191
- Capital Gains personal representatives 181