Loan or No Loan?
10 years ago my brother gave me some money. He drew up a document which he signed which said, "Brother has made a personal loan to gtsix of £kkkkk. Brother agrees that this loan will not carry interest and the principal will not have to be repaid." This was to be used in my business which he had a significant interest in. Although the use of the "personal loan" was not stated in the original document, he drew up later documents that refer to this use (e.g. ". . . and £kkkkk was loaned to gtsix to use in the business").
Now he says that we had a verbal agreement "that you would repay the personal loan with rolled up interest at a reasonable rate after about ten years". He says it could not have been a loan without interest or repayment as that would be classified as a gift.
So loan or gift?
If a loan then it implies an obligation to repay at some stage (which by default is on demand). If it is found to be a loan, does it also create a liability and have tax implications?
My argument is that the reason that there was no expectation of repayment or interest was that he would get some advancement from the interest he had in the business (e.g. sale of his shareholding). Does this hold water?
- Elective DeductionsModel 48 1
- Papilio UK Equity Release Mortgages Ltd 179 1
- Rental Income 283 6
- Value pricing 159 6
- Payroll 2012/13 81 1
- I have a pain 662 6
- Sale of assets - availability of AIA to the purchaser 60 1
- convert directors loan account to share capital 148 5
- Anyone else seen incorrect tax code notices - rather worring! 719 17
- Belated VAT Exception Application 103 3
- Cash flow 134 2
- New use of home - simplified method 207 4
- CGT and PPR and Lettings Relief? 256 5
- company secretarial software 103 1
- 2 year rule? Self employed. 364 13
- How long is filing an FPS meant to take ? 1,941 32
- Share restructure 327 12
- Liquidation of Subsiduary 144 4
- Unknown cash receipt 1,840 14
- P11d error 423 9
- Residential Property Purchase Above £750K 726
- Using Sage with Sofa Categories 496
- Does anyone have an unwanted ICAEW wooden plaque? 342
- One man Company and closing payroll scheme as none paid 336
- Goods shipped inter EU and VAT Reporting 261
- VAT on Gaming Machines 210
- Sage 200 and Access Dimensions reviews 196
- Non-Resident Director - UK Tax Position? 180
- transferring simply accounting 2010 from xp to windows 7 172
- Director Loan account operation 146