Loan or No Loan?
10 years ago my brother gave me some money. He drew up a document which he signed which said, "Brother has made a personal loan to gtsix of £kkkkk. Brother agrees that this loan will not carry interest and the principal will not have to be repaid." This was to be used in my business which he had a significant interest in. Although the use of the "personal loan" was not stated in the original document, he drew up later documents that refer to this use (e.g. ". . . and £kkkkk was loaned to gtsix to use in the business").
Now he says that we had a verbal agreement "that you would repay the personal loan with rolled up interest at a reasonable rate after about ten years". He says it could not have been a loan without interest or repayment as that would be classified as a gift.
So loan or gift?
If a loan then it implies an obligation to repay at some stage (which by default is on demand). If it is found to be a loan, does it also create a liability and have tax implications?
My argument is that the reason that there was no expectation of repayment or interest was that he would get some advancement from the interest he had in the business (e.g. sale of his shareholding). Does this hold water?
- Cash basis VAT return 202 2
- Using home as clients registered address 454 7
- Restriction on loss relief from 2013-14 235 1
- Technical reference 279 3
- Director issuing and buying shares in private Co 284 6
- Does director/largest shareholder's unpaid share capital need to go on a CT600A? 307 6
- How much tax should I be payng? 878 33
- Register for self assessment again as LLP member? 185 4
- EIS/SEIS 243 2
- Can S455 tax repaid 310 4
- Foreign pension tax credit relief 199 2
- Form EIS3 138 2
- Comprehensive herd adjustment guidance 176 1
- Tax return for 05/04/13 shows income for year to 31/01/14 283 2
- Bank loan incorrectly posted 324 3
- CORPORATION TAX ONLINE - BOX 131 278 7
- Box AC60 HMRC Micro-entities CT600 filing 230 2
- Are you a member of the Aweb LinkedIn group? 249 2
- is the new landlord entitled to the 3 month exemption from business rates for empty premises, 267 4
- Foreign Partner - SA109? 138 1
- The booking.com con 363
- Cocaine anyone? 349
- WWOOFers 348
- Tax liabilities in USA for warehoused products 338
- Trade and asset transfers – fair value adjustments 230
- Ho Ho Ho 225
- logical office 214
- barclays UK vesus barclays US 199
- Purpose of issuing Holding share capital for s135 share exchange 197
- Associated companies where SCI with only one company in group 191