Loan or No Loan?
10 years ago my brother gave me some money. He drew up a document which he signed which said, "Brother has made a personal loan to gtsix of £kkkkk. Brother agrees that this loan will not carry interest and the principal will not have to be repaid." This was to be used in my business which he had a significant interest in. Although the use of the "personal loan" was not stated in the original document, he drew up later documents that refer to this use (e.g. ". . . and £kkkkk was loaned to gtsix to use in the business").
Now he says that we had a verbal agreement "that you would repay the personal loan with rolled up interest at a reasonable rate after about ten years". He says it could not have been a loan without interest or repayment as that would be classified as a gift.
So loan or gift?
If a loan then it implies an obligation to repay at some stage (which by default is on demand). If it is found to be a loan, does it also create a liability and have tax implications?
My argument is that the reason that there was no expectation of repayment or interest was that he would get some advancement from the interest he had in the business (e.g. sale of his shareholding). Does this hold water?
- Error in audited accounts 180 3
- CIS software 115 3
- Homing sandwiches 493 12
- How can I deal with an unethical accountant? 327 7
- Pratice Management Software 190 3
- Use of home query 140 2
- IT advisory questions? 271 7
- signature required 565 22
- Vat registration exception 207 3
- CT600 149 3
- Director appointment not valid - any observations? 205 7
- Settlement discount 172 4
- Director Personal Bank Account in company's books 525 9
- How do I undo the work of a Macro in Excel 199 5
- A number of Clearbooks VAT return issues! 182 2
- VAT on hotel payments received in advance 148 2
- Norwegian p45, which UK Tax return does it go into 232 10
- Left UK in 2006 but did not declare rental income since 2009 146 1
- VAT rate charged by surveyor 200 2
- Related Party Transactions 140 2
- Auto enrolment excuses 1,258
- Feedback on accounts production software for IFRS 824
- Add T&Cs to Sales Order in Sage 528
- Digita Hosted Software 344
- Credit where credit's due....... 319
- Buying goods in US and selling them to company in US 246
- Flat rate VAT- other income calculation 204
- TheTax Donut 186
- Double taxation relief - same income, different individual 167
- Corporation Tax return - more than one trade 166