Loan or No Loan?
10 years ago my brother gave me some money. He drew up a document which he signed which said, "Brother has made a personal loan to gtsix of £kkkkk. Brother agrees that this loan will not carry interest and the principal will not have to be repaid." This was to be used in my business which he had a significant interest in. Although the use of the "personal loan" was not stated in the original document, he drew up later documents that refer to this use (e.g. ". . . and £kkkkk was loaned to gtsix to use in the business").
Now he says that we had a verbal agreement "that you would repay the personal loan with rolled up interest at a reasonable rate after about ten years". He says it could not have been a loan without interest or repayment as that would be classified as a gift.
So loan or gift?
If a loan then it implies an obligation to repay at some stage (which by default is on demand). If it is found to be a loan, does it also create a liability and have tax implications?
My argument is that the reason that there was no expectation of repayment or interest was that he would get some advancement from the interest he had in the business (e.g. sale of his shareholding). Does this hold water?
- Do I walk away from these accounts? 800 16
- Cloud accounting package 118 1
- Incorporation after the start of trading 993 39
- Setting up offshore to avoid paying VAT 484 15
- Legal structure of a group of friends producing a free newspaper 256 6
- Offshore company (Guernsey / Isle of Man) 152 3
- PAYE – Directors NI 238 6
- Next Move 332 12
- Ltd Co and 'grant' income 394 7
- when to file SA return if closed SA in the middle of the year 183 4
- S445 tax V's new dividend tax 233 3
- Large PAYE tax refund to Employee 336 3
- Personal Tax Accounts. Are we all doomed. 700 10
- Accounts treatment of assets at cessation date 280 10
- Seeking advice: Vehicle usage 163 3
- Accountant won't release working papers 2,236 34
- Casual Driver 254 4
- Self Assessment Software 632 20
- Furnished Lettings - expenses normally bourne by tenant 345 7
- How does HMRC give tax relief to Muslims for borrowing costs? 1,264 10
- Self employed and HMRC Worldwide Subsistence Rates 630
- VAT on Export Outside EU and Conditional Sale 394
- Acrobat Checkbox Help for New 64-8 394
- Property letting & CAs 376
- Interest paid - do new rules affect Tax Credits? 372
- 2015 tax year end 372
- FCA regulated company in a small group 335
- What's happened to Smith's Taxation 231
- MLR and benefitting from the disclosure 224
- Market Invoice (P2P invoice discounting) tax treatment 219