Loan or No Loan?
10 years ago my brother gave me some money. He drew up a document which he signed which said, "Brother has made a personal loan to gtsix of £kkkkk. Brother agrees that this loan will not carry interest and the principal will not have to be repaid." This was to be used in my business which he had a significant interest in. Although the use of the "personal loan" was not stated in the original document, he drew up later documents that refer to this use (e.g. ". . . and £kkkkk was loaned to gtsix to use in the business").
Now he says that we had a verbal agreement "that you would repay the personal loan with rolled up interest at a reasonable rate after about ten years". He says it could not have been a loan without interest or repayment as that would be classified as a gift.
So loan or gift?
If a loan then it implies an obligation to repay at some stage (which by default is on demand). If it is found to be a loan, does it also create a liability and have tax implications?
My argument is that the reason that there was no expectation of repayment or interest was that he would get some advancement from the interest he had in the business (e.g. sale of his shareholding). Does this hold water?
- Purchase of shares and goodwill 135 3
- How will auto enrolment affect accountants? 1,466 40
- Directors Remunerations and Employees on CT600 82 1
- Anyone Heard of This Outfit? 243 1
- How can I tell what returns are outstanding on HMRC online? 230 3
- Practice management - that old chestnut....... 1,230 19
- Suppliers for Online Card Payments? 362 6
- Go Cardless 380 10
- Self assessment tax arrears 327 3
- Mehjoo 333 2
- Tax Return Member LLP 149 1
- How to prove income for a mortgage if you have no SA302s 405 5
- Amazon Fees, Sage VAT/Tax code T20? 194 4
- SA302 343 7
- US Employment Income - Double Tax Treaty 294 13
- Bringing money to Uk 299 4
- Capital Allowances on Furnished Holiday Lets Business 218 4
- Hmrc software 260 3
- What expenses can be claimed after a move to Cornwall? 194 1
- Hosted email exchange 191 5
- Xtuple 518
- Qtac payroll for bureau 356
- Confused - Professional Association a Mutual trader, or not? 299
- Industrial & Provident Societies 293
- Data transfer from Sage Line 50 to VT Transaction+ 235
- Why would HMRC offer to close an investigation by contract settlement 210
- VAT Payable on Expenses for Non-VAT Registered Ltd Co 210
- Domain name sale and limited company 181
- CIS schemes 177
- Director legal fees in loose connection to the company 152