Loan or No Loan?
10 years ago my brother gave me some money. He drew up a document which he signed which said, "Brother has made a personal loan to gtsix of £kkkkk. Brother agrees that this loan will not carry interest and the principal will not have to be repaid." This was to be used in my business which he had a significant interest in. Although the use of the "personal loan" was not stated in the original document, he drew up later documents that refer to this use (e.g. ". . . and £kkkkk was loaned to gtsix to use in the business").
Now he says that we had a verbal agreement "that you would repay the personal loan with rolled up interest at a reasonable rate after about ten years". He says it could not have been a loan without interest or repayment as that would be classified as a gift.
So loan or gift?
If a loan then it implies an obligation to repay at some stage (which by default is on demand). If it is found to be a loan, does it also create a liability and have tax implications?
My argument is that the reason that there was no expectation of repayment or interest was that he would get some advancement from the interest he had in the business (e.g. sale of his shareholding). Does this hold water?
- Is this a scam? 33 1
- C79 Discrepancy 188 1
- Deaf clients 83 2
- Basic PAYE Tools update .... lost all my previous FPSs 71 2
- illegal dividends 184 2
- Self Assessment Tax Return Penalties 44 2
- Work experience - pay 228 2
- reliable alternative to registered ofice required 160 2
- Do I need to report this to SOCA 1,688 18
- Goodwill 151 5
- Dividend received from voluntary arrangement 144 1
- How do I calculate the VAT due (cash basis) on receipts which suffer a cis deduction? 111 2
- SAGE V12 137 3
- Consolidation and Comparatives 68 2
- Ltd Company trading for 2 years not Registered for PAYE 95 1
- first year company tax return for a limited company 456 22
- Not ANOTHER bogus HMRC email? 126 1
- Exactly which business miles can I claim from my employer? 773 13
- One off meeting new client 220 2
- Incorporation Relief 204 5
- Proposed Amendments to IAS 1 611
- Property exchange - 8-year legal delay following fall-out 504
- Sorry ignore me 411
- Accounting for Insurance Premium Financing 372
- SAGE Payroll Data for Import to MS Dynamics AX 284
- Cancelled 267
- Cancelled 229
- Bartercard 199
- Sage Report Designer - Nominal Activity in Currency 170
- Have you staged yet for auto enrolment? 157