Loan or No Loan?
10 years ago my brother gave me some money. He drew up a document which he signed which said, "Brother has made a personal loan to gtsix of £kkkkk. Brother agrees that this loan will not carry interest and the principal will not have to be repaid." This was to be used in my business which he had a significant interest in. Although the use of the "personal loan" was not stated in the original document, he drew up later documents that refer to this use (e.g. ". . . and £kkkkk was loaned to gtsix to use in the business").
Now he says that we had a verbal agreement "that you would repay the personal loan with rolled up interest at a reasonable rate after about ten years". He says it could not have been a loan without interest or repayment as that would be classified as a gift.
So loan or gift?
If a loan then it implies an obligation to repay at some stage (which by default is on demand). If it is found to be a loan, does it also create a liability and have tax implications?
My argument is that the reason that there was no expectation of repayment or interest was that he would get some advancement from the interest he had in the business (e.g. sale of his shareholding). Does this hold water?
- Do you charge fee or % for Successful appeal against HMRC penalties? 1,358 22
- VAT flat rate scheme 299 6
- Does AE staging date cease with transfer of business? 52 1
- Does SMP and SPP go up if leave goes across 2 tax years? 97 4
- Invoice personally but declare in company? 360 9
- Sole trader startup losses and PAYE income in same year 36 1
- Overtime etc for PT employees 63 1
- First Choice Final Accounts 213 1
- Anyone had this problem?? 531 15
- Complex VAT Group 310 6
- Pre-registration VAT: can you reclaim VATon delivery costs incurred in the six months prior to registration? 58 3
- EIS relief on transferring shares to spouse 317 1
- Any Answers changes - feedback required 3,250 107
- Client's company struck off 305 7
- Sole Trader Cessation 88 1
- What rent was paid for income tax purposes? 237 2
- Reversal of Warranty Provision 114 4
- Does a building subcontractor charge VAT on his labour on a new-build? 201 5
- Penalty on dormant CT600 prior to trading 119 1
- Related party disclosures 291 4
- QROP pension input amounts 467
- HMRC BENCHMARK EXPENSES 408
- write off loan or loan to equity swap or both 405
- fraud 327
- Sole trade business in UK, but the owner works from EU 257
- Construction CIS LLP Company 240
- EPS and CIS deductions 239
- Stamp duty on house transfer between spouses 192
- SAGE winforecast 165
- LIVE: Budget aftermath webinar 160