Loan or No Loan?
10 years ago my brother gave me some money. He drew up a document which he signed which said, "Brother has made a personal loan to gtsix of £kkkkk. Brother agrees that this loan will not carry interest and the principal will not have to be repaid." This was to be used in my business which he had a significant interest in. Although the use of the "personal loan" was not stated in the original document, he drew up later documents that refer to this use (e.g. ". . . and £kkkkk was loaned to gtsix to use in the business").
Now he says that we had a verbal agreement "that you would repay the personal loan with rolled up interest at a reasonable rate after about ten years". He says it could not have been a loan without interest or repayment as that would be classified as a gift.
So loan or gift?
If a loan then it implies an obligation to repay at some stage (which by default is on demand). If it is found to be a loan, does it also create a liability and have tax implications?
My argument is that the reason that there was no expectation of repayment or interest was that he would get some advancement from the interest he had in the business (e.g. sale of his shareholding). Does this hold water?
- VAT FRS percentage for sales person? 187 3
- Money Laundering Manual 234 10
- As I was saying, Its VAT question day 324 8
- Is there no lower level to the work a lawyer would take on. 720 24
- VAT with Russia 51 1
- Scientist switch to accountancy - work experience? 1,011 28
- Penalties for late PAYE scheme 166 2
- Worst corporate entertaining events? 1,110 9
- CGT on Let Property 213 4
- Business only use of company car 563 22
- valuation of vehicles 279 14
- Director registration for SA question 147 8
- New Company reviews please 404 10
- How do you pay Inheritance Tax when HMRC haven't demanded it 133 1
- How best to split income on a Buy To Let - married. How do you decide beneficial ownership 428 7
- directors loan 176 5
- RTI Mess 499 9
- Tax on LLP members drawings not covered by future profits 351 13
- Mortgage Interest - Tax Deductible 357 3
- CIS not deducted 265 4
- RTI Rollback to delete incorrect data 274
- Motor Traders Assistant Bookkeeping Programme queries 234
- Vouchedfor.co.uk 230
- Tracesmart/Lexis Nexis AML software? Any opinions? 207
- Any thoughts on Capium? 186
- Expenses Software 185
- cgt quoted shares losses 175
- auto enrolment 170
- Sage Compatible P60's Self Seal 168
- Car Capital Contribution 153