Loan or No Loan?
10 years ago my brother gave me some money. He drew up a document which he signed which said, "Brother has made a personal loan to gtsix of £kkkkk. Brother agrees that this loan will not carry interest and the principal will not have to be repaid." This was to be used in my business which he had a significant interest in. Although the use of the "personal loan" was not stated in the original document, he drew up later documents that refer to this use (e.g. ". . . and £kkkkk was loaned to gtsix to use in the business").
Now he says that we had a verbal agreement "that you would repay the personal loan with rolled up interest at a reasonable rate after about ten years". He says it could not have been a loan without interest or repayment as that would be classified as a gift.
So loan or gift?
If a loan then it implies an obligation to repay at some stage (which by default is on demand). If it is found to be a loan, does it also create a liability and have tax implications?
My argument is that the reason that there was no expectation of repayment or interest was that he would get some advancement from the interest he had in the business (e.g. sale of his shareholding). Does this hold water?
- Software recommendations? 170 2
- Is an ex-gratia payment to a company taxable 101 5
- Freehold Property Depreciation 249 11
- Advice needed for Annual Accounting Period - companies house 23 1
- Charity accounting 148 5
- Accounting for Film Rights 50 2
- Lunatics in charge of the asylum - Bluestone 581 1
- Limited Company expenses 82 4
- client issues 756 5
- Why .... 279 5
- UK taxation of income from property in Cyprus 76 1
- Leaving the Flat Rate Scheme 73 2
- Pylon compensation - what am I missing? 138 2
- Claiming VAT without invoice 75 2
- Sell business after leaving country 440 13
- Tiwan contractor 127 3
- Rental Income 78 2
- Auto Enrolment specialist service provider 158 2
- Auto enrolement and PAYE 116 1
- VAT - E-commerce site (middle man only) - like Not on the high street 62 1
- Possible Partnership? 564
- Tax and accounting treatment on long lease granted from freehold 489
- New Fangled Penalties 366
- Clubs and Taxable Income 302
- Purchase of property freehold - capitalisation of costs 282
- Loans to other companies 226
- Closed PAYE schemes and auto enrolment 218
- Lenovo – Superfish & Komodia – is your PC vulnerable 189
- Outsource Data Entry 183
- Moving away from CCH software 161