Loan or No Loan?
10 years ago my brother gave me some money. He drew up a document which he signed which said, "Brother has made a personal loan to gtsix of £kkkkk. Brother agrees that this loan will not carry interest and the principal will not have to be repaid." This was to be used in my business which he had a significant interest in. Although the use of the "personal loan" was not stated in the original document, he drew up later documents that refer to this use (e.g. ". . . and £kkkkk was loaned to gtsix to use in the business").
Now he says that we had a verbal agreement "that you would repay the personal loan with rolled up interest at a reasonable rate after about ten years". He says it could not have been a loan without interest or repayment as that would be classified as a gift.
So loan or gift?
If a loan then it implies an obligation to repay at some stage (which by default is on demand). If it is found to be a loan, does it also create a liability and have tax implications?
My argument is that the reason that there was no expectation of repayment or interest was that he would get some advancement from the interest he had in the business (e.g. sale of his shareholding). Does this hold water?
- Can I claim VAT back on accounting fees? 62 3
- New Client - incorrect accounts filed 201 5
- is photo id necessary to set up a direct debit? 281 13
- The importance of Grammar 85 2
- Is this dodgy? 181 4
- How to claim CIS refund for limited company that 219 5
- Copies of every transaction can't be OK!! 293 6
- Its going to be fun isnt it? 919 13
- Car or Van - BIK not VAT 447 14
- Sole Trader 161 3
- 2 businesses again. 1 with vat, one without 2,663 51
- Non Resident Landlord Tax 152 3
- Class 4 Losses 205 4
- Tax Codes and VAT 74 1
- Entrepreneur Relief - inter company shares 79 1
- Issue shares to shareholders 143 6
- How long should one give Aweb … 884 14
- AIA for a Van, Self Employed 336 3
- Why does Aweb always take the nuclear option … 2,335 51
- Moneysoft - technical query 307 7
- Any knowledge of salesorder.com 347
- Chart of account segments; Balance sheet vs P&L 284
- Goodwill and the Summer 2015 Budget 262
- HMRC RTI Filing Problem 259
- Could and would anyone here carry out a hot file review of some non statutory audit work please? 248
- Electric Car 204
- S222 Charge 194
- What is the best acounting software for online international retail business? 179
- Foreign Tax on Pensions 178
- Freelance Accounting link 169