Loan or No Loan?
10 years ago my brother gave me some money. He drew up a document which he signed which said, "Brother has made a personal loan to gtsix of £kkkkk. Brother agrees that this loan will not carry interest and the principal will not have to be repaid." This was to be used in my business which he had a significant interest in. Although the use of the "personal loan" was not stated in the original document, he drew up later documents that refer to this use (e.g. ". . . and £kkkkk was loaned to gtsix to use in the business").
Now he says that we had a verbal agreement "that you would repay the personal loan with rolled up interest at a reasonable rate after about ten years". He says it could not have been a loan without interest or repayment as that would be classified as a gift.
So loan or gift?
If a loan then it implies an obligation to repay at some stage (which by default is on demand). If it is found to be a loan, does it also create a liability and have tax implications?
My argument is that the reason that there was no expectation of repayment or interest was that he would get some advancement from the interest he had in the business (e.g. sale of his shareholding). Does this hold water?
- How to complete annual VAT return online? 50 2
- Private Residence Election for CGT purposes 30 2
- Standard 'email' template system 366 7
- VAT relief eligibilty for charity buying minibus 141 1
- I had a baby! Small practice recruitment - where would you look? 570 7
- Travel expenses 438 16
- Any Scottish members out there? 4,472 142
- Reclaim vat on invoice 175 3
- What's your best practice shortcut or 'hack'? 1,115 29
- Shadow director or alternative? 265 3
- Computerised Accountancy Software 282 1
- FRS VAT bad debt relief? 496 13
- Bankruptcy 431 10
- P11d Van - no private use 441 12
- Expanding To UK From USA 152 2
- How do I account for trees?! 294 1
- Foreign Dividends - tax repayment claim 504 17
- German VAT charged by US Supplier 241 5
- Abbreviated Accounts 354 4
- Accountancy fee tax return 586 6
- Raiders of the Lost Tax File 990
- Employment related securities question 504
- Looking for a qualified accountant 329
- Chartered Accountant in County Down N.Ireland 309
- IPP (International Pension Plan) income 277
- National Insurance 214
- valuation of intangible asset FRS10 and FRS20 205
- Joint construction arrangement CIS and VAT 195
- Cass 5 FCA Client Money Software recomendation 191
- Payments on account coded out?? 151