Loan or No Loan?
10 years ago my brother gave me some money. He drew up a document which he signed which said, "Brother has made a personal loan to gtsix of £kkkkk. Brother agrees that this loan will not carry interest and the principal will not have to be repaid." This was to be used in my business which he had a significant interest in. Although the use of the "personal loan" was not stated in the original document, he drew up later documents that refer to this use (e.g. ". . . and £kkkkk was loaned to gtsix to use in the business").
Now he says that we had a verbal agreement "that you would repay the personal loan with rolled up interest at a reasonable rate after about ten years". He says it could not have been a loan without interest or repayment as that would be classified as a gift.
So loan or gift?
If a loan then it implies an obligation to repay at some stage (which by default is on demand). If it is found to be a loan, does it also create a liability and have tax implications?
My argument is that the reason that there was no expectation of repayment or interest was that he would get some advancement from the interest he had in the business (e.g. sale of his shareholding). Does this hold water?
- HMRC SPAM AGAIN 204 5
- Write off of former director's loan 270 5
- Flat rate vat error 30 1
- Notes needed for a new partner in an LLP 71 1
- How do I clear transaction history - Sage 50 v9 76 1
- Accountant Pays Clients Tax 498 10
- Which software for practice books? 363 15
- Illegal dividends and prior year accounts errors 211 6
- Pension contributions > £50k BRB effect 86 2
- VAT enquiry 150 2
- No Prrof of Posting of Tax Return sent by Post 481 15
- Inheritance tax 257 13
- s.755 ITA 2007 Gains on transactions in land 79 1
- Accountant software 309 8
- Enquiry charge out rates - benchmarking 152 3
- A previous partnership, a dispute and their conduct now 295 6
- Consolidation and subsidiaries with different period ends 118 5
- Tax residence 103 2
- Company Car Purchased in Name of Director 154 2
- Concerned about RTI 2014 1,695 33
- Desperately seeking Susan, Sam or anyone with any other name 656
- CIS to 5/10/13 and HMRC Computer issue 488
- Experience with Islamic investor following Sharia-compliant rules? 452
- Darwinpay Partnership Assessment 279
- How to format a stock book 238
- S464A Charge to tax: conferring benefit & BIK 198
- Foreign income on Self Assesment 192
- Tax efficient holding company structure 180
- Investment property company accounts template 168
- Outlook 2007 with business contact manager not loading on new laptop 165