Loan or No Loan?
10 years ago my brother gave me some money. He drew up a document which he signed which said, "Brother has made a personal loan to gtsix of £kkkkk. Brother agrees that this loan will not carry interest and the principal will not have to be repaid." This was to be used in my business which he had a significant interest in. Although the use of the "personal loan" was not stated in the original document, he drew up later documents that refer to this use (e.g. ". . . and £kkkkk was loaned to gtsix to use in the business").
Now he says that we had a verbal agreement "that you would repay the personal loan with rolled up interest at a reasonable rate after about ten years". He says it could not have been a loan without interest or repayment as that would be classified as a gift.
So loan or gift?
If a loan then it implies an obligation to repay at some stage (which by default is on demand). If it is found to be a loan, does it also create a liability and have tax implications?
My argument is that the reason that there was no expectation of repayment or interest was that he would get some advancement from the interest he had in the business (e.g. sale of his shareholding). Does this hold water?
- The Copyright Licensing Agency 159 4
- Journals to Creditors Control 18 1
- Pounds Shillings and Pence 1,206 39
- 31 Jan Procrastination Question: Computer Monitors 435 16
- Companies House late filing penalties 3,120 105
- Refusing to complete a tax return 451 11
- Previous auditor threatening to sue our firm for unpaid fees 837 38
- Repayment of maternity pay 99 2
- US/UK Dual Citizenship 145 9
- Duplicate emails from AWeb 125 10
- Money laundering and can accountants be sued by clients if they make a report 813 16
- What sectors to target? 336 14
- Self assesment online 533 7
- Dissolved company with o/s corporation tax 239 6
- Practice management 241 4
- Teacher doing marking - tax deducted 455 6
- More NI or same 145 1
- Simplified use of home - contradiction 261 4
- maternity allowance for self employed individual 171 1
- Year end 126 1
- Form MR01 (Particulars of a charge) - does this need to be filed if you remortgage with the same lender? 911
- Underpaid VAT assessment and relation to SATR 627
- Did you realise Google will not patch android exploit ... 587
- Latest phishing scam 555
- Cashback for opening business bank acct = trading income? 384
- Auto Enrolment Questions Answered 288
- Loan benefit after person ceases as director/employee 211
- Capital allowances in first basis period 198
- Scratch Head 189
- Sabbatical payments 184