Loan or No Loan?
10 years ago my brother gave me some money. He drew up a document which he signed which said, "Brother has made a personal loan to gtsix of £kkkkk. Brother agrees that this loan will not carry interest and the principal will not have to be repaid." This was to be used in my business which he had a significant interest in. Although the use of the "personal loan" was not stated in the original document, he drew up later documents that refer to this use (e.g. ". . . and £kkkkk was loaned to gtsix to use in the business").
Now he says that we had a verbal agreement "that you would repay the personal loan with rolled up interest at a reasonable rate after about ten years". He says it could not have been a loan without interest or repayment as that would be classified as a gift.
So loan or gift?
If a loan then it implies an obligation to repay at some stage (which by default is on demand). If it is found to be a loan, does it also create a liability and have tax implications?
My argument is that the reason that there was no expectation of repayment or interest was that he would get some advancement from the interest he had in the business (e.g. sale of his shareholding). Does this hold water?
- State pension 246 2
- 27,000 Really? 945 28
- Accountancy Career 40 1
- CIC Company 645 13
- pension paid by company? 31 1
- Exactly which business miles can I claim from my employer? 1,799 22
- Can I take action against my accountant for incompetence? 3,236 66
- Deduction from Salary 625 15
- inheritance tax 357 11
- Bank account of a different company being used for transactions. 415 5
- pretty multi rainbow -coloured client spreadsheets 259 7
- Group Audit Thresholds 348 10
- One off meeting new client 1,675 16
- Legal title not in the company name 752 22
- Why would they want his purchase invoices?? 276 3
- Awkward insolvency practitioner 530 4
- Sage 50 re-key - VAT problem 189 3
- NALS Accountants Report 347 5
- Has anyone read the implications of the Lisbon treaty? 1,235 44
- Farm barn lettings 230 4
- Property exchange - 8-year legal delay following fall-out 639
- Cancelled 392
- SAGE Payroll Data for Import to MS Dynamics AX 352
- Cancelled 333
- Have you staged yet for auto enrolment? 306
- Probiz 300
- Free-standing washing machine - unfurnished lettings 277
- VAT on non-profit making clubs (ECJ VS West Dorset Golf Club) 256
- Phishing emails purporting to be from CIPFA? 221
- How not to compose an email 214