Its late and I just need a second opinion on this (what used to be simple) question.
A sole trader client has losses brought forward of around £7,000 and then makes a small profit before capital allowances of £1,000. He has a capital allowance pool brought forward of around £24,000 of which he could claim capital allowances of £4,800 this year.
Am I correct in thinking that if I disallow all the capital allowances then £1,000 of the loss will automatically utilised, otherwise I could use the capital allowances to wipe out the profit and therefore retain the loss. Either way what was covered by personal allowances anyway will be wasted.
Seeing as either losses or capital allowances will be wasted, is the best option to claim all the capital allowances available (£4,800) to increase the loss to carry forward so that a larger loss will be available to offset against next year plus further capital allowances for that year.
Higher profits are expected next year but what if £7,000 profits are made before capital allowances, then even higher losses will be wasted.
That being the case should I just use £1,000 of the losses and disallow the capital allowances this year to retain them to be used when most beneficial rather than converting them to losses and having to use them against the first available losses?
EDIT: I guess the answer is ... it depends what the future profits will be.
- Busines software 43 1
- Sale of house with planning permission - tax free? 283 4
- Goods Purchased for Rental 129 5
- Buy to let and capitak gain 89 2
- Flat rate Vat Scheme & Vat on wholesale production of Cakes and other deserts 282 12
- HMRC overreaching its powers -again against a small surveying firm? 447 10
- are receipts needed? 593 16
- Going to need a tax, insolvency and legal specialist I think 252 3
- Bookkeping software 699 7
- Clogged Losses 273 5
- Letting relief on property transferred to a spouse 250 9
- ideas for a bonus scheme for accountants 647 10
- Charge for use of credit card - permitted 306 7
- New Built in oven - allowable as repair? 256 4
- Accounting for Bank Loyalty Rewards? 116 1
- General tax book with planning 249 5
- Anybody heard of Geniac, the new De Lorean? 187 3
- tax on apprenticeship income 199 1
- Gift of property & improvements 156 3
- VAT Invoice 213 6
- Nil Rate Band Trust - index linked debt by way of charge over property 906
- International interest certificate 518
- NOVA 369
- Have we escaped Gift with Reservation of Benfit & Pre-owned asset charges? - Gift after benefit 316
- Management expenses for investment company 272
- Bonus Bonds 264
- Entertainer withholding tax in Australia 179
- P11D benefit received by widow 156
- EXACT ONLINE 151
- Insolvency and whistle blowing 149