Its late and I just need a second opinion on this (what used to be simple) question.
A sole trader client has losses brought forward of around £7,000 and then makes a small profit before capital allowances of £1,000. He has a capital allowance pool brought forward of around £24,000 of which he could claim capital allowances of £4,800 this year.
Am I correct in thinking that if I disallow all the capital allowances then £1,000 of the loss will automatically utilised, otherwise I could use the capital allowances to wipe out the profit and therefore retain the loss. Either way what was covered by personal allowances anyway will be wasted.
Seeing as either losses or capital allowances will be wasted, is the best option to claim all the capital allowances available (£4,800) to increase the loss to carry forward so that a larger loss will be available to offset against next year plus further capital allowances for that year.
Higher profits are expected next year but what if £7,000 profits are made before capital allowances, then even higher losses will be wasted.
That being the case should I just use £1,000 of the losses and disallow the capital allowances this year to retain them to be used when most beneficial rather than converting them to losses and having to use them against the first available losses?
EDIT: I guess the answer is ... it depends what the future profits will be.
- Wrong career 126 6
- bookkeeping for interest & dividends 170 3
- Auto Enrolment & Moneysoft 544 4
- Small employers paying people when sick thanks alot! 2,866 28
- Adjusting over-provision of Corporation Tax in previous year 192 5
- Newsletter 242 5
- RTI Filing 1,761 22
- Would this save hours of your time? 117 1
- Fee's for P11D's 311 5
- Agent with HMRC 242 10
- Quarterly PAYE 245 7
- Producing graphical KPI's etc 60 1
- reporting salary? 181 3
- Payroll software : RTI submissions 330 16
- CGT on Inherited Property 274 2
- Employment Allowance related companies 108 3
- Value pricing 593 19
- One man Company and closing payroll scheme as none paid 392 1
- Childcare Vouchers 178 3
- Audit Report Query 192 5
- Residential Property Purchase Above £750K 772
- Using Sage with Sofa Categories 527
- Does anyone have an unwanted ICAEW wooden plaque? 394
- Goods shipped inter EU and VAT Reporting 279
- Non-Resident Director - UK Tax Position? 220
- Sage 200 and Access Dimensions reviews 218
- Director Loan account operation 210
- transferring simply accounting 2010 from xp to windows 7 206
- Free Tax Legislation? 193
- vat return 175