Its late and I just need a second opinion on this (what used to be simple) question.
A sole trader client has losses brought forward of around £7,000 and then makes a small profit before capital allowances of £1,000. He has a capital allowance pool brought forward of around £24,000 of which he could claim capital allowances of £4,800 this year.
Am I correct in thinking that if I disallow all the capital allowances then £1,000 of the loss will automatically utilised, otherwise I could use the capital allowances to wipe out the profit and therefore retain the loss. Either way what was covered by personal allowances anyway will be wasted.
Seeing as either losses or capital allowances will be wasted, is the best option to claim all the capital allowances available (£4,800) to increase the loss to carry forward so that a larger loss will be available to offset against next year plus further capital allowances for that year.
Higher profits are expected next year but what if £7,000 profits are made before capital allowances, then even higher losses will be wasted.
That being the case should I just use £1,000 of the losses and disallow the capital allowances this year to retain them to be used when most beneficial rather than converting them to losses and having to use them against the first available losses?
EDIT: I guess the answer is ... it depends what the future profits will be.
- Company overdue but wants to be struck off 189 6
- Non-compete agreement 179 1
- Expenses claim for non employee 196 1
- Any views 736 1
- Using a Business broker to sell a clients Company.....??? 91 1
- Paint Manufacturer Flat Rate Scheme 205 6
- IRIS Practice Management 144 2
- Non Registered trader selling to Malta 105 2
- Need qualification back due to clients' banks needing my references 275 8
- Pre- trading Expenses 91 1
- Was I rude 779 19
- Dividend payments and shareholdings 172 3
- Corporation tax due date confusion 305 4
- You cannot be Serious!!! 255 1
- Top slicing relief question 232 2
- Valuation of PET on death 120 2
- Incorporation - any tax advantage? 276 6
- Share swap 293 8
- Online filing 171 5
- Payment for goods received on last day of quarter but refunded the next - what options are open here? 334 13
- Skandia using wrong address 1,481
- Nil Rate Band Trust - index linked debt by way of charge over property 815
- International interest certificate 446
- Stamp Duty on share for share exchange 419
- Sale of business 395
- NOVA 288
- IRIS Open Books problem 284
- farming-related R & D tax relief claims 201
- Bonus Bonds 173
- Management expenses for investment company 172