Its late and I just need a second opinion on this (what used to be simple) question.
A sole trader client has losses brought forward of around £7,000 and then makes a small profit before capital allowances of £1,000. He has a capital allowance pool brought forward of around £24,000 of which he could claim capital allowances of £4,800 this year.
Am I correct in thinking that if I disallow all the capital allowances then £1,000 of the loss will automatically utilised, otherwise I could use the capital allowances to wipe out the profit and therefore retain the loss. Either way what was covered by personal allowances anyway will be wasted.
Seeing as either losses or capital allowances will be wasted, is the best option to claim all the capital allowances available (£4,800) to increase the loss to carry forward so that a larger loss will be available to offset against next year plus further capital allowances for that year.
Higher profits are expected next year but what if £7,000 profits are made before capital allowances, then even higher losses will be wasted.
That being the case should I just use £1,000 of the losses and disallow the capital allowances this year to retain them to be used when most beneficial rather than converting them to losses and having to use them against the first available losses?
EDIT: I guess the answer is ... it depends what the future profits will be.
- Love is in the air 571 7
- Personal Pension Relief in the Tax Code 168 2
- Auto enrolment confusion 2,048 47
- CGT on lost shares/scam 372 4
- Setting up a practice 411 5
- Very large share capital by mistake 518 7
- VAT refund if only output tax on first claim 480 4
- 24 month rule and expenses 299 1
- HP agreement in Directors name but payments under company 659 17
- Stamp Duty 294 4
- Physiotherapist and vat and agency work ( one for Les Howard???) 239 4
- I am 34 years old, am I too old to start a career in Accounting ? which is the best way to pursue it 1,814 21
- Another Sneaky Tax Hike! 611 5
- Incorporation of gp practise 297 1
- Sage Instant Accounts Complete De-install problem 263 9
- Client Paperwork Retention? 582 13
- Paid staff their normal salary instead of SMP 587 7
- Tax Overlap Reporting 406 4
- Pay rise - how to enter in Moneysoft 403 9
- Reimbursing director travel costs 462 6
- DTA tie-breaker issue 304
- Tax Implicatins on a Directors Loan 294
- CGT for NOn UK residents 281
- Employer's pension contribution - need to be PAYE registered? 278
- What are the tax implications of overseas sales through a UK based company? 256
- profit or loss on furnishings and deed of trust 241
- Apprenticeship Levy 240
- Tenants in Common - Actual % split not written down 225
- Capital Gains personal representatives 221
- Discretionary payment to sick employee 220