Its late and I just need a second opinion on this (what used to be simple) question.
A sole trader client has losses brought forward of around £7,000 and then makes a small profit before capital allowances of £1,000. He has a capital allowance pool brought forward of around £24,000 of which he could claim capital allowances of £4,800 this year.
Am I correct in thinking that if I disallow all the capital allowances then £1,000 of the loss will automatically utilised, otherwise I could use the capital allowances to wipe out the profit and therefore retain the loss. Either way what was covered by personal allowances anyway will be wasted.
Seeing as either losses or capital allowances will be wasted, is the best option to claim all the capital allowances available (£4,800) to increase the loss to carry forward so that a larger loss will be available to offset against next year plus further capital allowances for that year.
Higher profits are expected next year but what if £7,000 profits are made before capital allowances, then even higher losses will be wasted.
That being the case should I just use £1,000 of the losses and disallow the capital allowances this year to retain them to be used when most beneficial rather than converting them to losses and having to use them against the first available losses?
EDIT: I guess the answer is ... it depends what the future profits will be.
- Taxfiler - SA100 - More efficient? 753 5
- See you all on the other side 769 6
- 12Pay 543 2
- dividends 753 2
- R&D 366 1
- Quarterly Reporting - The Logistics 1,229 17
- Auto enrolment contribution rates 481 3
- How long are you waiting for appeal reply 482 4
- Borrowing money to loan to company 435 1
- Mother as Guarantor for Son's mortgage 582 5
- Seeking a tax case 692 9
- When do we qualify for state pension? 554 4
- Companies house strike off 666 3
- Tax treatment of alterations to property 495 2
- Moving to the cloud 789 9
- Iris open space/doc exchange for SATRs 230 2
- How much to charge for payroll? 950 16
- Unincorporated charity transfer to CIO 235 4
- BTC vs Digita 1,123 29
- Has anyone tried calling HMRC to get tax on dividends put in code? 542 4
- HMRC Joint Filing 578
- Capital Contribution towards a company car 432
- Capital Reduction & Impact on EIS Shares 381
- IRIS and FRS 102 369
- National Minimum Wage issue on Directors joining a Workplace Pension 356
- Marginal rates of tax 355
- Capitalising Finance Lease 347
- Class 2 NI 337
- USA help 329
- Dormant company accounts under FRS 102 313