Its late and I just need a second opinion on this (what used to be simple) question.
A sole trader client has losses brought forward of around £7,000 and then makes a small profit before capital allowances of £1,000. He has a capital allowance pool brought forward of around £24,000 of which he could claim capital allowances of £4,800 this year.
Am I correct in thinking that if I disallow all the capital allowances then £1,000 of the loss will automatically utilised, otherwise I could use the capital allowances to wipe out the profit and therefore retain the loss. Either way what was covered by personal allowances anyway will be wasted.
Seeing as either losses or capital allowances will be wasted, is the best option to claim all the capital allowances available (£4,800) to increase the loss to carry forward so that a larger loss will be available to offset against next year plus further capital allowances for that year.
Higher profits are expected next year but what if £7,000 profits are made before capital allowances, then even higher losses will be wasted.
That being the case should I just use £1,000 of the losses and disallow the capital allowances this year to retain them to be used when most beneficial rather than converting them to losses and having to use them against the first available losses?
EDIT: I guess the answer is ... it depends what the future profits will be.
- Is Xero payroll as rubbish as I suspect it is? 1,073 20
- QBO VAT box 2 and 4 114 1
- VAT - Check on clients business 593 25
- Transfer of a trade WITHOUT assets? 101 1
- Amend a 2010/11 return 97 1
- Advanced SMP, but employee returns to work early 154 1
- How to deal with prior year error 146 2
- Repaying Directors Loans within 9 months 523 19
- Bookkeeping Rate of Pay 2,335 33
- What's the Barmiest Reason A Client gave you for going? 2,045 20
- Tax Calculations 657 10
- Tax Fines - HMRC 402 4
- Exemption from CGT 226 2
- VAT Registration 238 3
- Digita Users - Can you please confirm? 466 14
- Autumn statement predictions 428 8
- ACCA Practising Certificate Holder 330 4
- How to claim relief under a Double Taxation Agreement 185 3
- Moneysoft error 434 7
- Repaying Directors loan by transferring an asset 649 26