Its late and I just need a second opinion on this (what used to be simple) question.
A sole trader client has losses brought forward of around £7,000 and then makes a small profit before capital allowances of £1,000. He has a capital allowance pool brought forward of around £24,000 of which he could claim capital allowances of £4,800 this year.
Am I correct in thinking that if I disallow all the capital allowances then £1,000 of the loss will automatically utilised, otherwise I could use the capital allowances to wipe out the profit and therefore retain the loss. Either way what was covered by personal allowances anyway will be wasted.
Seeing as either losses or capital allowances will be wasted, is the best option to claim all the capital allowances available (£4,800) to increase the loss to carry forward so that a larger loss will be available to offset against next year plus further capital allowances for that year.
Higher profits are expected next year but what if £7,000 profits are made before capital allowances, then even higher losses will be wasted.
That being the case should I just use £1,000 of the losses and disallow the capital allowances this year to retain them to be used when most beneficial rather than converting them to losses and having to use them against the first available losses?
EDIT: I guess the answer is ... it depends what the future profits will be.
- New Company - Corp Tax Period 247 9
- Abandoning accountancy membership in order to operate as a sole trader 791 21
- BrightPay 580 17
- Fees for dealing with auto-enrolment 215 2
- H&W company 174 3
- VAT on sale of Vehicle 143 3
- tax teatment of index linked mortgage repayment 157 2
- Gift or Capital Gain? 260 7
- How much?? (ACCA rules on practice insurance) 76 1
- Does anyone use a cloud based payroll software 783 32
- Classic cars investment 215 6
- VAT silly question 2,379 56
- Are sheepdog winnings taxable? 1,077 10
- What are CIS subcontractor clients worth to you ? 260 5
- Federation Accounts 359 10
- SA302s - Lenders to accept non hmrc copies 540 8
- How does the tax payer dis-apply/disclaim from use of their personal allowance? 289 5
- Are Court and tribunal Judges honest/commit fruad ? 164 2
- Late reply from HMRC 260 2
- Client charged VAT by US supplier 290 6
- Benchmarking 487
- Possible Partnership? 428
- Tax and accounting treatment on long lease granted from freehold 406
- Lunatics in charge of the asylum - Bluestone 406
- Old Books for a 'NON' Client 347
- Purchase of property freehold - capitalisation of costs 205
- Growing Limited Company concerned about assets if something goes wrong 202
- Clubs and Taxable Income 188
- Income tax on foreign dividends 187
- Subsistence and hotel expenses 182