Its late and I just need a second opinion on this (what used to be simple) question.
A sole trader client has losses brought forward of around £7,000 and then makes a small profit before capital allowances of £1,000. He has a capital allowance pool brought forward of around £24,000 of which he could claim capital allowances of £4,800 this year.
Am I correct in thinking that if I disallow all the capital allowances then £1,000 of the loss will automatically utilised, otherwise I could use the capital allowances to wipe out the profit and therefore retain the loss. Either way what was covered by personal allowances anyway will be wasted.
Seeing as either losses or capital allowances will be wasted, is the best option to claim all the capital allowances available (£4,800) to increase the loss to carry forward so that a larger loss will be available to offset against next year plus further capital allowances for that year.
Higher profits are expected next year but what if £7,000 profits are made before capital allowances, then even higher losses will be wasted.
That being the case should I just use £1,000 of the losses and disallow the capital allowances this year to retain them to be used when most beneficial rather than converting them to losses and having to use them against the first available losses?
EDIT: I guess the answer is ... it depends what the future profits will be.
- Employee to move to Isle of Man 216 4
- Uncomfortable with some advertising Sift takes 163 8
- Entrepeneurs relief 409 18
- French Excise Duty - Help Please! 386 9
- Goodwill omitted from first years accounts 484 23
- Potentially dodgy client 166 2
- What is the status of "Whistleblowing" these days - do you get rewarded? 426 13
- Do I need to pay my accountant 547 8
- Loan Repayment on Invoice 180 6
- Do HMRC automatically close inactive PAYE schemes? 322 5
- Straightforward email correspondence or PDF letter attached to blank email? 634 8
- Question on HMRC past taxes (+penalties) on non-resident 136 2
- CIC Tax - what is trading? 532 27
- Should everyone be entitled to a personal allowance 261 5
- How to post Sales figures in Sage50 Accounts (we use separate Sales ledger) 165 3
- Lloyds bank ... 454 6
- Limited company buying a car 252 5
- Buying Microsoft's Surface Pro 3 500 10
- Course costs for retraining as a barrister 303 7
- Travel and Subsistence expenses while abroad 318 4
- CTA study material 777
- Anyone have clients that use Pay4Later to offer customers credit? 484
- Raiders of the Lost Tax File 409
- Employment related securities question 311
- AIM Stocks and IHT 287
- Expat pension contributions? 266
- Tax Relief for overseas employees 260
- Trust for Employee 243
- Service Charge Accountant Career Options 194
- IPP (International Pension Plan) income 149