Its late and I just need a second opinion on this (what used to be simple) question.
A sole trader client has losses brought forward of around £7,000 and then makes a small profit before capital allowances of £1,000. He has a capital allowance pool brought forward of around £24,000 of which he could claim capital allowances of £4,800 this year.
Am I correct in thinking that if I disallow all the capital allowances then £1,000 of the loss will automatically utilised, otherwise I could use the capital allowances to wipe out the profit and therefore retain the loss. Either way what was covered by personal allowances anyway will be wasted.
Seeing as either losses or capital allowances will be wasted, is the best option to claim all the capital allowances available (£4,800) to increase the loss to carry forward so that a larger loss will be available to offset against next year plus further capital allowances for that year.
Higher profits are expected next year but what if £7,000 profits are made before capital allowances, then even higher losses will be wasted.
That being the case should I just use £1,000 of the losses and disallow the capital allowances this year to retain them to be used when most beneficial rather than converting them to losses and having to use them against the first available losses?
EDIT: I guess the answer is ... it depends what the future profits will be.
- HMRC filing meltdown? 558 15
- client can't/won't pay 1,959 42
- Tax Credit Office opening hours 119 1
- Selling Capital Allowences from Self Employed to Ltd Buisness 100 4
- Payment of tax due on 2014/15 Self Assessment tax return 100 2
- Non resident income. 475 21
- Why do I do this every year 457 10
- UKBA financial requirements for spouse visa 290 22
- 'My colleague fills in his own Self Assessment" and he/she claims,x,y and z" 168 3
- Hobby Horse 815 8
- What sectors to target? 622 30
- FYAs on second-hand vans 278 7
- Rent a room scheme query. 198 3
- Self assesment online 1,013 11
- Watch out self-assessment scam e-mail 310 5
- closing limited company 201 2
- VAT when selling on Amazon 131 1
- Childcare voucher schemes 262 9
- IHT and US resident 81 1
- Limited Companies Merger 218 6
- Form MR01 (Particulars of a charge) - does this need to be filed if you remortgage with the same lender? 937
- Underpaid VAT assessment and relation to SATR 654
- Did you realise Google will not patch android exploit ... 605
- Latest phishing scam 583
- Cashback for opening business bank acct = trading income? 420
- Auto Enrolment Questions Answered 316
- Scratch Head 247
- Loan benefit after person ceases as director/employee 240
- Sabbatical payments 201
- Negligible Value Claim 180