Its late and I just need a second opinion on this (what used to be simple) question.
A sole trader client has losses brought forward of around £7,000 and then makes a small profit before capital allowances of £1,000. He has a capital allowance pool brought forward of around £24,000 of which he could claim capital allowances of £4,800 this year.
Am I correct in thinking that if I disallow all the capital allowances then £1,000 of the loss will automatically utilised, otherwise I could use the capital allowances to wipe out the profit and therefore retain the loss. Either way what was covered by personal allowances anyway will be wasted.
Seeing as either losses or capital allowances will be wasted, is the best option to claim all the capital allowances available (£4,800) to increase the loss to carry forward so that a larger loss will be available to offset against next year plus further capital allowances for that year.
Higher profits are expected next year but what if £7,000 profits are made before capital allowances, then even higher losses will be wasted.
That being the case should I just use £1,000 of the losses and disallow the capital allowances this year to retain them to be used when most beneficial rather than converting them to losses and having to use them against the first available losses?
EDIT: I guess the answer is ... it depends what the future profits will be.
- Tax treatment on the sale of a business 190 7
- No Tax Returns submitted for last 16 years 884 19
- Companies house dissolved my company. What do I do now? 460 9
- Can I become a self employed bookkeeper?? 167 1
- VAT on converted property having opted to tax 176 7
- tagging in Iris accounts production for non standard item 122 1
- Place of Supply or these two contracts walk into a German Bar 105 1
- Auto-Enrolment 2,860 155
- How to account for VAT on a newbuild that has been let 104 1
- 'Find an accountant' 212 2
- PI insurance for Auto Enrolment 105 1
- Withholding Tax - Invoicing Ecuador 86 1
- Depreciation on property improvements 108 1
- Construction Industry Funding 112 5
- CGT advice on amicable divorce settlement 106 1
- How important are Journals? 333 9
- QuickBooks, Xero, FreeAgent and ClearBooks 725 15
- Company trading loss relief 272 4
- National Insurance 603 1
- Social Worker limited Co 131 1
- Best way to take money from a business if you have unlimited EIS allowances? 492
- Skandia using wrong address 434
- Accountants who provide tech/IT advice 390
- Does anyone use PS Financials accounting software out there? 266
- FHL, period of grace and Entrepreneur's relief 237
- Employee rewards 228
- Legislation access for part-time sole practitioner? 207
- EPS Analysis - Change to EURO 203
- Rental Property W&T And Equipment 180
- Gift of reversion and lease into trust by two different people - later PPR 180