Its late and I just need a second opinion on this (what used to be simple) question.
A sole trader client has losses brought forward of around £7,000 and then makes a small profit before capital allowances of £1,000. He has a capital allowance pool brought forward of around £24,000 of which he could claim capital allowances of £4,800 this year.
Am I correct in thinking that if I disallow all the capital allowances then £1,000 of the loss will automatically utilised, otherwise I could use the capital allowances to wipe out the profit and therefore retain the loss. Either way what was covered by personal allowances anyway will be wasted.
Seeing as either losses or capital allowances will be wasted, is the best option to claim all the capital allowances available (£4,800) to increase the loss to carry forward so that a larger loss will be available to offset against next year plus further capital allowances for that year.
Higher profits are expected next year but what if £7,000 profits are made before capital allowances, then even higher losses will be wasted.
That being the case should I just use £1,000 of the losses and disallow the capital allowances this year to retain them to be used when most beneficial rather than converting them to losses and having to use them against the first available losses?
EDIT: I guess the answer is ... it depends what the future profits will be.
- Your fondest calculator memories 1,149 42
- Company Pension Contributions 2013/14 137 7
- Profit accruing in fiduciary or representative capacity 111 2
- You think HMRC are inefficient? 470 8
- R&D tax claim 222 6
- Gift to employee 359 12
- Tax Allowance on University Course 106 1
- Transfer of a business 106 1
- I hate HMRC's voice recognition system - The Inept Interrogator 1,109 22
- Investment property where tenant lives rent free 403 8
- VAT Cross Border Invoicing 106 2
- Sage Import Data 300 6
- Slight twist on employment related securities 239 1
- Child and Working Tax Credits and sudden increase in investment income - does this trigger a claw back? 100 2
- Best time software for small practice? 214 2
- Residents Association Corp Tax 314 13
- private to company car? 362 9
- Which address 1,008 11
- Do I charge VAT for event I held in Paris 266 5
- PAYE Refund Farce At HMRC 957 15
- DTR : TIOPA 2010 Section 42 473
- CTA study material 453
- Sect 102 TMA 1970 328
- Pre incorp expenses 306
- Relief on French Tax Deposit? 262
- Anyone have clients that use Pay4Later to offer customers credit? 250
- What is the tax position if I am working overseas but via a UK agency? 202
- Gift Aid after 5 April, before 31 Jan - Tax Credits 152
- Anybody have that old ACCA Student Training Record (STR1) 136
- Taxation of partners in an LLP following new rules 130