Its late and I just need a second opinion on this (what used to be simple) question.
A sole trader client has losses brought forward of around £7,000 and then makes a small profit before capital allowances of £1,000. He has a capital allowance pool brought forward of around £24,000 of which he could claim capital allowances of £4,800 this year.
Am I correct in thinking that if I disallow all the capital allowances then £1,000 of the loss will automatically utilised, otherwise I could use the capital allowances to wipe out the profit and therefore retain the loss. Either way what was covered by personal allowances anyway will be wasted.
Seeing as either losses or capital allowances will be wasted, is the best option to claim all the capital allowances available (£4,800) to increase the loss to carry forward so that a larger loss will be available to offset against next year plus further capital allowances for that year.
Higher profits are expected next year but what if £7,000 profits are made before capital allowances, then even higher losses will be wasted.
That being the case should I just use £1,000 of the losses and disallow the capital allowances this year to retain them to be used when most beneficial rather than converting them to losses and having to use them against the first available losses?
EDIT: I guess the answer is ... it depends what the future profits will be.
- Repairs or Improvement? 231 5
- dividend 83 8
- Purchase of shares in a Limited Company 52 3
- Credit Card Payment - What are we required to do? 133 3
- Irish Taxation 129 4
- Now the phishers have baited their hooks with SAGE 283 2
- Self assessment tax arrears 501 6
- Error on SA Tax Return 69 1
- Drector renting room to company 67 1
- Off site storage 134 5
- Is Accountancy Becoming like an Insurance Policy 575 6
- Anyone know about Cloud-Based Practice Management Software? 235 7
- Increasing the personal allowance: A top priority? 1,124 44
- Industrial & Provident Societies 345 1
- Advertising with Hibu nee Yell (Yellow Pages) 219 3
- Auto-enrolment - Fees 314 4
- Self assesment losses 309 8
- RTI and s18 ITEPA 164 3
- Garden studio - tax and VAT deductible? 171 1
- CT treatment of staff entertainment for overseas staff 113 2
- Xtuple 562
- Qtac payroll for bureau 384
- Confused - Professional Association a Mutual trader, or not? 339
- Domain name sale and limited company 228
- Italian friend wants to set up a UK company to reduce taxes 209
- Director legal fees in loose connection to the company 206
- Investment 203
- Tax on damages received 177
- Multiple bodies and practicing certificates 176
- Temporary non residence and CGT on non-UK asset 144