Its late and I just need a second opinion on this (what used to be simple) question.
A sole trader client has losses brought forward of around £7,000 and then makes a small profit before capital allowances of £1,000. He has a capital allowance pool brought forward of around £24,000 of which he could claim capital allowances of £4,800 this year.
Am I correct in thinking that if I disallow all the capital allowances then £1,000 of the loss will automatically utilised, otherwise I could use the capital allowances to wipe out the profit and therefore retain the loss. Either way what was covered by personal allowances anyway will be wasted.
Seeing as either losses or capital allowances will be wasted, is the best option to claim all the capital allowances available (£4,800) to increase the loss to carry forward so that a larger loss will be available to offset against next year plus further capital allowances for that year.
Higher profits are expected next year but what if £7,000 profits are made before capital allowances, then even higher losses will be wasted.
That being the case should I just use £1,000 of the losses and disallow the capital allowances this year to retain them to be used when most beneficial rather than converting them to losses and having to use them against the first available losses?
EDIT: I guess the answer is ... it depends what the future profits will be.
- Sage 50 Accounts - Opening Bank Account Balance Posted to Nominal 9998 Suspense Account 381 22
- How would you account for warranty? 95 3
- Sweet Tooth 114 6
- Personal returns late information - when to get tough? 1,009 13
- LLP - Member leaving 71 4
- Error in 11-12 return done by previous accountant, do we have to offer them to correct or can I do and client reclaim cost 179 6
- CA self-employed income below personal allowance 153 2
- trading or dormant 85 2
- Goodwill ammortisation 74 1
- tax credits 109 5
- accruals and prepayments please help anyone out there 511 19
- Is there difference between when you state you will provide a specific provison and you will make a specific provision of £3200 against a partcular debt? 173 6
- When will Private Principal Residence Relief cut will start? 558 11
- Can rental income ever be trading income? 255 3
- Benefit In Kind Accommodation 107 1
- Tax Return Deadlines 190 3
- Foreign income for self employed 124 1
- Whats the best way to keep my accounts? 627 18
- Sage help...written off bad debt, done year end now bad payer wants to start to pay 76 2
- Who owns SAGE Data? 492 10
- Desperately seeking Susan, Sam or anyone with any other name 859
- Experience with Islamic investor following Sharia-compliant rules? 512
- Darwinpay Partnership Assessment 324
- How to format a stock book 300
- Tax efficient holding company structure 238
- S464A Charge to tax: conferring benefit & BIK 233
- Investment property company accounts template 223
- Outlook 2007 with business contact manager not loading on new laptop 216
- auto enrolment - calculation of first pension deduction 186
- RTI and Annual Directors Salary 157