Making company dormant
I've been director of a company for the past six years with my son as co-director; and both of us and my wife are shareholders. It is our intention to disincorporate the business with myself becoming sole trader. I've looked at the info on Companies House website and have form DS01 at the ready; the company hasn't conducted any business since the end of November 2012 and the end of year falls at the end of February 2013 which meets the requirement of not having traded for three months. However, the problem is how to distribute the cash and assets of the business - clearly not one penny of worth wants to remain on the balance sheet following disincorporation as this would pass to the Crown (bona vacantia).
So I wondered if it would be allowable/practical to make the company dormant in the short term - maybe for one year - while the assets are distributed prior to disincorporation. Can somebody tell me what is involved in making a company dormant? Can it still have assets on the balance sheet and can they be distributed during this dormant period without disqualifying it from being classed as domant? I am about to conduct my first bit of business as a sole trader (whoopee!) so I need to sort something out quickly.
Thanks in advance for any help.
- Missing tax return 321 4
- r there any crustie unemployed failed accounting clerks here ? 292 3
- Companies House paper incorporation - date of birth omission 119 2
- Are you going to Tick and Bash on 21 May? 1,043 30
- Inflation and fees 1,366 24
- Sage Priority Support 167 3
- incorrect old p60 302 5
- US company hiring UK citizens in UK 183 2
- Cost of demolition of a shed - revenue or capital? 822 24
- Micro-entity accounts 201 1
- Related party disclosure 200 3
- Company reconstruction 131 1
- Rolled up interest and late interest rules 230 6
- US LLC - anomaly in UK and US treatment 141 3
- Basic Tools and PAYE succession 168 1
- Advice please! 409 2
- VAT on new builds 183 3
- CGT query on investment property sale 143 1
- Summarise excel cashbook by month 383 6
- Are accountants facing a doomsday scenario? 1,989 28