Management / Service charges between companies and getting them right
I'm hoping you will be able to help on this... And I realise that I may be opening a can of worms.
I do want to avoid the morals on paying tax etc, because I believe that is a separate issue, and is down to each taxpayer involved to make their decision.
I consider my job is to give them options, all legal and within the rules, and then carry out their instruction. For whatever circumstance, the cheapest option may not be the best option, and I would advise in hat way.
My client has one company that owns two other companies 100% and 25% of another.
He is sole director of all 4 companies.
He would like to make a charge to each of the three companies owned by the 'holding' company, instead of taking any salary from each company.
He would then want to take a salary and dividends from the holding company when applicable.
My question is basically, is this possible. Does the holding company need to be a corporate director for this to be possible, or is it ok for the person to be director, but for a charge to be made to each company?
All companies are well within the small profits rate, and so there is no possibility of suggesting that this, or the amounts involved are to bring down the marginal rate of tax.
He says, and I see his point, that it would then show more realistic levels of profits in each company, and would be based fairly on turnover, or the business size in some way.
It does obviously reduce PAYE taxes, both tax and Ees and Eers NI, but he argues that he could theoretically do this by taking a minimal salary from one company, and only taking dividends from the others.
Any guidance or thoughts on this would be very gratefully received.
- How to post Sales figures in Sage50 Accounts (we use separate Sales ledger) 272 8
- Sage 50 cost centre limitations 117 5
- Accounting software integration with self assessment 59 1
- Excel query 151 4
- Straightforward email correspondence or PDF letter attached to blank email? 1,051 15
- Capital allowances or revenue is capital? 149 3
- Agent authorisation for RTI filing 21 1
- What font do you prefer to use for correspondence? 308 12
- Do I need to pay my accountant 1,329 14
- Autoenrolment and payroll software from April 2015 567 9
- Payment on account penalties 156 4
- How much did you pay for your website 1,701 29
- any implications of this type of transaction 94 2
- Mem & Arts - Multiple Share Classes & Rights 106 1
- Does IR35 apply? 108 1
- Sage data 114 1
- Course costs for retraining as a barrister 424 9
- Limited company buying a car 367 6
- Funding Circle experience 173 3
- Tax on free shares 162 5
- CTA study material 809
- Anyone have clients that use Pay4Later to offer customers credit? 500
- Raiders of the Lost Tax File 462
- Employment related securities question 327
- AIM Stocks and IHT 313
- Tax Relief for overseas employees 287
- Expat pension contributions? 284
- Trust for Employee 258
- Service Charge Accountant Career Options 242
- IPP (International Pension Plan) income 162