Management / Service charges between companies and getting them right
I'm hoping you will be able to help on this... And I realise that I may be opening a can of worms.
I do want to avoid the morals on paying tax etc, because I believe that is a separate issue, and is down to each taxpayer involved to make their decision.
I consider my job is to give them options, all legal and within the rules, and then carry out their instruction. For whatever circumstance, the cheapest option may not be the best option, and I would advise in hat way.
My client has one company that owns two other companies 100% and 25% of another.
He is sole director of all 4 companies.
He would like to make a charge to each of the three companies owned by the 'holding' company, instead of taking any salary from each company.
He would then want to take a salary and dividends from the holding company when applicable.
My question is basically, is this possible. Does the holding company need to be a corporate director for this to be possible, or is it ok for the person to be director, but for a charge to be made to each company?
All companies are well within the small profits rate, and so there is no possibility of suggesting that this, or the amounts involved are to bring down the marginal rate of tax.
He says, and I see his point, that it would then show more realistic levels of profits in each company, and would be based fairly on turnover, or the business size in some way.
It does obviously reduce PAYE taxes, both tax and Ees and Eers NI, but he argues that he could theoretically do this by taking a minimal salary from one company, and only taking dividends from the others.
Any guidance or thoughts on this would be very gratefully received.
- Hobby Horse 786 8
- Non resident income. 450 20
- What sectors to target? 610 30
- FYAs on second-hand vans 259 7
- Rent a room scheme query. 192 3
- client can't/won't pay 1,937 41
- Self assesment online 996 11
- UKBA financial requirements for spouse visa 267 21
- Why do I do this every year 418 9
- Watch out self-assessment scam e-mail 306 5
- closing limited company 188 2
- VAT when selling on Amazon 104 1
- HMRC filing meltdown? 524 14
- Childcare voucher schemes 256 9
- IHT and US resident 74 1
- Limited Companies Merger 213 6
- Incidental costs of Acquisition for inherited property/shares 142 1
- Practice management 386 7
- IHT and cash gifts 254 5
- HMRC Sends Derbyshire pensioner Doug Yeomans tax demand for £4.7 BILLION! 570 13
- Form MR01 (Particulars of a charge) - does this need to be filed if you remortgage with the same lender? 934
- Underpaid VAT assessment and relation to SATR 652
- Did you realise Google will not patch android exploit ... 602
- Latest phishing scam 580
- Cashback for opening business bank acct = trading income? 417
- Auto Enrolment Questions Answered 315
- Scratch Head 242
- Loan benefit after person ceases as director/employee 237
- Sabbatical payments 200
- Negligible Value Claim 176