Management / Service charges between companies and getting them right
I'm hoping you will be able to help on this... And I realise that I may be opening a can of worms.
I do want to avoid the morals on paying tax etc, because I believe that is a separate issue, and is down to each taxpayer involved to make their decision.
I consider my job is to give them options, all legal and within the rules, and then carry out their instruction. For whatever circumstance, the cheapest option may not be the best option, and I would advise in hat way.
My client has one company that owns two other companies 100% and 25% of another.
He is sole director of all 4 companies.
He would like to make a charge to each of the three companies owned by the 'holding' company, instead of taking any salary from each company.
He would then want to take a salary and dividends from the holding company when applicable.
My question is basically, is this possible. Does the holding company need to be a corporate director for this to be possible, or is it ok for the person to be director, but for a charge to be made to each company?
All companies are well within the small profits rate, and so there is no possibility of suggesting that this, or the amounts involved are to bring down the marginal rate of tax.
He says, and I see his point, that it would then show more realistic levels of profits in each company, and would be based fairly on turnover, or the business size in some way.
It does obviously reduce PAYE taxes, both tax and Ees and Eers NI, but he argues that he could theoretically do this by taking a minimal salary from one company, and only taking dividends from the others.
Any guidance or thoughts on this would be very gratefully received.
- Companies House paper incorporation - date of birth omission 403 5
- CRM / marketing 72 1
- Signed accounts for bank 110 2
- Landing clients 296 13
- Allocation of income from property 736 26
- Stand alone practice management software 1,838 28
- dividend date - whose income is it? 106 2
- Rental business through company without owning the property? 300 3
- Opening a Quick books file 78 1
- Termination Payment 72 2
- 64-8 problems 492 8
- Guaranteed rents - which is the turnover? 329 10
- Payment on account reminders 208 3
- Intercompany Payroll Journals 88 3
- Hello 500 4
- AIA/Capital Allowances 475 14
- Balancing charge 107 1
- Pensions Auto-Enrolment when no computer/internet access 281 3
- Anyone else experiencing issues with sage 50 payroll 837 23
- Selling to USA, Delivery to Poland, VAT? 171 5