Management / Service charges between companies and getting them right
I'm hoping you will be able to help on this... And I realise that I may be opening a can of worms.
I do want to avoid the morals on paying tax etc, because I believe that is a separate issue, and is down to each taxpayer involved to make their decision.
I consider my job is to give them options, all legal and within the rules, and then carry out their instruction. For whatever circumstance, the cheapest option may not be the best option, and I would advise in hat way.
My client has one company that owns two other companies 100% and 25% of another.
He is sole director of all 4 companies.
He would like to make a charge to each of the three companies owned by the 'holding' company, instead of taking any salary from each company.
He would then want to take a salary and dividends from the holding company when applicable.
My question is basically, is this possible. Does the holding company need to be a corporate director for this to be possible, or is it ok for the person to be director, but for a charge to be made to each company?
All companies are well within the small profits rate, and so there is no possibility of suggesting that this, or the amounts involved are to bring down the marginal rate of tax.
He says, and I see his point, that it would then show more realistic levels of profits in each company, and would be based fairly on turnover, or the business size in some way.
It does obviously reduce PAYE taxes, both tax and Ees and Eers NI, but he argues that he could theoretically do this by taking a minimal salary from one company, and only taking dividends from the others.
Any guidance or thoughts on this would be very gratefully received.
- Anyone having problems with IRIS OpenSpace? 22 2
- Can't understand my own electricity / gas bills 168 5
- Free-standing washing machine - unfurnished lettings 1,251 18
- RTI - EPS - ??? 224 3
- Sub-contractor provided with a vehicle 143 5
- Partner with an IVA 45 3
- Your fondest calculator memories 154 6
- I hate HMRC's voice recognition system - The Inept Interrogator 344 10
- Can Directors be removed without consequence? 216 4
- Growing pains 314 6
- Owner/Director consultant plus employment elsewhere 176 6
- Does Freeholder have to be director of our RTM Company? 134 7
- Free Agent - Payments on Account 503 13
- Breach of employment contract 151 3
- Benefit of my ACCA membership to my Non Qualified Employer 402 7
- HMRC Penalties - are they enforceable? 773 31
- Offset Self-Employed Losses against PAYE 102 3
- Legal Advice Needed Bank Account Blocked 840 13
- Residents Association Corp Tax 152 4
- ATT Annual Return Problems 74 1
- DTR : TIOPA 2010 Section 42 440
- CTA study material 401
- Sect 102 TMA 1970 296
- Sage Forecasting - Print filename 270
- Pre incorp expenses 259
- Relief on French Tax Deposit? 233
- Anyone have clients that use Pay4Later to offer customers credit? 225
- Slight twist on employment related securities 202
- How to claim additional losses after mistake in CT return 168
- What is the tax position if I am working overseas but via a UK agency? 162