Management / Service charges between companies and getting them right
I'm hoping you will be able to help on this... And I realise that I may be opening a can of worms.
I do want to avoid the morals on paying tax etc, because I believe that is a separate issue, and is down to each taxpayer involved to make their decision.
I consider my job is to give them options, all legal and within the rules, and then carry out their instruction. For whatever circumstance, the cheapest option may not be the best option, and I would advise in hat way.
My client has one company that owns two other companies 100% and 25% of another.
He is sole director of all 4 companies.
He would like to make a charge to each of the three companies owned by the 'holding' company, instead of taking any salary from each company.
He would then want to take a salary and dividends from the holding company when applicable.
My question is basically, is this possible. Does the holding company need to be a corporate director for this to be possible, or is it ok for the person to be director, but for a charge to be made to each company?
All companies are well within the small profits rate, and so there is no possibility of suggesting that this, or the amounts involved are to bring down the marginal rate of tax.
He says, and I see his point, that it would then show more realistic levels of profits in each company, and would be based fairly on turnover, or the business size in some way.
It does obviously reduce PAYE taxes, both tax and Ees and Eers NI, but he argues that he could theoretically do this by taking a minimal salary from one company, and only taking dividends from the others.
Any guidance or thoughts on this would be very gratefully received.
- Cash withdrawn and not accounted for 220 2
- Loan to Partnership is s455 tax relevant? 516 18
- Recommendations for payroll/AE software? 411 9
- UK Tax Treatment of Finance Lease Payments 132 2
- More HMRC on gov.uk 70 1
- Interflora florist 46 1
- Accounting for VAT not yet paid in year end 278 6
- Directors loan accounts 412 10
- Income Self employed 536 8
- Know it alls (who don't) 1,173 22
- Contingent Liability - Copyright Dispute - Disclosure ? 252 7
- Can I zero rate the VAT? 343 7
- Payment for Promotional Samples 257 1
- Transactions between Associated Companies 119 2
- Employed clients and expenses 799 14
- Nil Rate Band Trust - index linked debt by way of charge over property 1,036 1
- Share premium or Directors Loan 701 29
- Taxfiler V's BTC 917 34
- Halloween - do you celebrate it? 552 18
- I.d for vat registration 281 10
- Have we escaped Gift with Reservation of Benfit & Pre-owned asset charges? - Gift after benefit 542
- NOVA 489
- Bonus Bonds 376
- Insolvency and whistle blowing 354
- Transfer of funds into recently set up company 275
- TPR imposes first penalty notice fines 239
- Friendly Pensions 170
- Box 8 VAT Return - deposit payment 157
- Husband proposes to buy the car as Director unable to acess finance 144
- Finance Lease 140