Management / Service charges between companies and getting them right
I'm hoping you will be able to help on this... And I realise that I may be opening a can of worms.
I do want to avoid the morals on paying tax etc, because I believe that is a separate issue, and is down to each taxpayer involved to make their decision.
I consider my job is to give them options, all legal and within the rules, and then carry out their instruction. For whatever circumstance, the cheapest option may not be the best option, and I would advise in hat way.
My client has one company that owns two other companies 100% and 25% of another.
He is sole director of all 4 companies.
He would like to make a charge to each of the three companies owned by the 'holding' company, instead of taking any salary from each company.
He would then want to take a salary and dividends from the holding company when applicable.
My question is basically, is this possible. Does the holding company need to be a corporate director for this to be possible, or is it ok for the person to be director, but for a charge to be made to each company?
All companies are well within the small profits rate, and so there is no possibility of suggesting that this, or the amounts involved are to bring down the marginal rate of tax.
He says, and I see his point, that it would then show more realistic levels of profits in each company, and would be based fairly on turnover, or the business size in some way.
It does obviously reduce PAYE taxes, both tax and Ees and Eers NI, but he argues that he could theoretically do this by taking a minimal salary from one company, and only taking dividends from the others.
Any guidance or thoughts on this would be very gratefully received.
- I do not love you 258 5
- What are you doing now 31 Jan is past? 121 2
- Limited Company 211 4
- Gift of FHL - subsequent PPR not denied? 186 1
- Love is in the air 763 10
- Stamp Duty 341 5
- HP agreement in Directors name but payments under company 750 19
- Another Sneaky Tax Hike! 900 8
- Personal Pension Relief in the Tax Code 409 5
- Paying Son 818 19
- CGT on lost shares/scam 405 5
- Sage Instant Accounts Complete De-install problem 285 10
- Auto enrolment confusion 2,076 47
- Setting up a practice 654 5
- Very large share capital by mistake 637 7
- VAT refund if only output tax on first claim 570 4
- 24 month rule and expenses 499 1
- Physiotherapist and vat and agency work ( one for Les Howard???) 249 4
- I am 34 years old, am I too old to start a career in Accounting ? which is the best way to pursue it 1,877 21
- Incorporation of gp practise 470 1
- Foreign domicile status 318
- DTA tie-breaker issue 306
- Tax Implicatins on a Directors Loan 304
- CGT for NOn UK residents 286
- Employer's pension contribution - need to be PAYE registered? 284
- What are the tax implications of overseas sales through a UK based company? 263
- profit or loss on furnishings and deed of trust 250
- Apprenticeship Levy 248
- Discretionary payment to sick employee 240
- Tenants in Common - Actual % split not written down 236