Management / Service charges between companies and getting them right
I'm hoping you will be able to help on this... And I realise that I may be opening a can of worms.
I do want to avoid the morals on paying tax etc, because I believe that is a separate issue, and is down to each taxpayer involved to make their decision.
I consider my job is to give them options, all legal and within the rules, and then carry out their instruction. For whatever circumstance, the cheapest option may not be the best option, and I would advise in hat way.
My client has one company that owns two other companies 100% and 25% of another.
He is sole director of all 4 companies.
He would like to make a charge to each of the three companies owned by the 'holding' company, instead of taking any salary from each company.
He would then want to take a salary and dividends from the holding company when applicable.
My question is basically, is this possible. Does the holding company need to be a corporate director for this to be possible, or is it ok for the person to be director, but for a charge to be made to each company?
All companies are well within the small profits rate, and so there is no possibility of suggesting that this, or the amounts involved are to bring down the marginal rate of tax.
He says, and I see his point, that it would then show more realistic levels of profits in each company, and would be based fairly on turnover, or the business size in some way.
It does obviously reduce PAYE taxes, both tax and Ees and Eers NI, but he argues that he could theoretically do this by taking a minimal salary from one company, and only taking dividends from the others.
Any guidance or thoughts on this would be very gratefully received.
- Capital Gains Tax on title transfer 381 19
- How to prove to HMRC that you was not self employed? 523 16
- Employing a carer 175 2
- VAT on sale of Assets to Director 24 1
- Any Scottish members out there? 13,143 496
- Non resident client -employed in the Cayman Islands 94 1
- "Please be advised that one or more Generic Notification Notices have been issued." 68 3
- Which profit figure to use 52 1
- rti 108 4
- Drop box Storage 347 5
- 2 sole traders merging to become a limited company what do they need? 49 1
- What Exactly does the RTI Penalty Relaxation mean? 153 2
- Director selling assets to the company that were given to her 243 7
- Fee Protection Insurance 1,070 44
- Partnership issues and acting for one partner 132 4
- RTI -Late registration -any penalties 129 1
- Another goodwill question ....... 152 1
- Can't read my handwriting 725 18
- Fees for Property Tax Return 596 21
- Sole trader &/or Limited company 99 1
- Raiders of the Lost Tax File 1,377
- Chartered Accountant in County Down N.Ireland 526
- National Insurance 426
- Non Resident 323
- Hands on experience of Digita 248
- Best way to take money from a business if you have unlimited EIS allowances? 234
- CIS paid under reg 9 189
- Employer's Helpline 189
- Does anyone use PS Financials accounting software out there? 154
- Commercial rental property - still Schedule A? 153