Management / Service charges between companies and getting them right
I'm hoping you will be able to help on this... And I realise that I may be opening a can of worms.
I do want to avoid the morals on paying tax etc, because I believe that is a separate issue, and is down to each taxpayer involved to make their decision.
I consider my job is to give them options, all legal and within the rules, and then carry out their instruction. For whatever circumstance, the cheapest option may not be the best option, and I would advise in hat way.
My client has one company that owns two other companies 100% and 25% of another.
He is sole director of all 4 companies.
He would like to make a charge to each of the three companies owned by the 'holding' company, instead of taking any salary from each company.
He would then want to take a salary and dividends from the holding company when applicable.
My question is basically, is this possible. Does the holding company need to be a corporate director for this to be possible, or is it ok for the person to be director, but for a charge to be made to each company?
All companies are well within the small profits rate, and so there is no possibility of suggesting that this, or the amounts involved are to bring down the marginal rate of tax.
He says, and I see his point, that it would then show more realistic levels of profits in each company, and would be based fairly on turnover, or the business size in some way.
It does obviously reduce PAYE taxes, both tax and Ees and Eers NI, but he argues that he could theoretically do this by taking a minimal salary from one company, and only taking dividends from the others.
Any guidance or thoughts on this would be very gratefully received.
- VAT - Recharge 115 3
- PPR exemption - can it be due on a bigger area than 0.5 hectares? 242 3
- Legal title not in the company name 356 13
- Redundancy pay for directors? 520 14
- Has anyone read the implications of the Lisbon treaty? 899 19
- Opening Balances 83 1
- Companies Made Simple Dashboard? 210 2
- Employment Allowance 255 3
- simple one...capitalisation of legal fees on purchase of business 181 4
- CIC Company 539 7
- Have I dropped a major clanger? 1,376 21
- VAT online filing exemptions 322 4
- NALS Accountants Report 148 1
- Do I need to report this to SOCA 3,500 35
- Dividend dates 586 10
- Sole properietor 234 4
- transitioning payroll 272 8
- dividend proposals 158 2
- How to reclaim VAT that was missed off previous invoices? 266 2
- Deduction from Salary 329 8
- Property exchange - 8-year legal delay following fall-out 626
- Cancelled 367
- SAGE Payroll Data for Import to MS Dynamics AX 346
- Cancelled 314
- Have you staged yet for auto enrolment? 286
- Probiz 275
- Free-standing washing machine - unfurnished lettings 240
- VAT on non-profit making clubs (ECJ VS West Dorset Golf Club) 232
- Phishing emails purporting to be from CIPFA? 207
- Is this UK incapacity benefit taxable in UK or Jersey? 178