This might be cheeky, what do you think?
I'm of the awkward generation who studied under IFRS but trades within the UK GAAP regime and I am unsure if I may be confusing the two here. I have checked the FRSSE (briefly) re the below scenario to no avail.
I have a client purchased a building with some rather nice credit terms; £250k in £500/wk instalments with only £35k down. Repayment is 8.26923077 years.
Of course, to recognise the building and corresponding loan amount and subsequent payments would be straightforward enough. But we're accountants; that's not good enough!
My plan/ploy is the time value of money over that 8 year period.
My question is:
If I effectively "Fair Value" that liability, assuming 3.5% inflation pa for example (which I calculate as £161,768.24 starting point) and subsequently recognise the unwinding of the liability as interest income... Is this then a legitimate deductible finance expense under any head of tax?
If you need reference material see p. 161 Appendix 3 of the FRSSE which details the above scenario as applied to a provision.
Any input whatsoever would be gratefully received.
- DEATH OF A SHAREHOLDER NO SHAREHOLDER AGREEMENT 208 3
- Undisclosed income 78 1
- Private Investment Company 118 1
- How familiar are accountants with community interest companies? 61 1
- Can I take action against my accountant for incompetence? 1,635 44
- New company - form a group? 183 3
- Small company audit 113 1
- Leaving Flat Rate Scheme for VAT 274 7
- Has anyone read the implications of the Lisbon treaty? 783 17
- CIC Company 414 2
- What are options for non CA firm 2,683 57
- Is this a scam? 787 8
- Companies Made Simple Dashboard? 145 1
- Employment allowance (again) :( 352 2
- Mortgage to buy property in limited company 257 5
- Sage valuing foreign bank balances 195 4
- PITA client 263 3
- VAT on sales net of CIS suffered 383 9
- Do I need to report this to SOCA 3,336 33
- Dividend dates 493 8
- Property exchange - 8-year legal delay following fall-out 600
- Cancelled 349
- SAGE Payroll Data for Import to MS Dynamics AX 334
- Cancelled 286
- Have you staged yet for auto enrolment? 257
- Probiz 245
- VAT on non-profit making clubs (ECJ VS West Dorset Golf Club) 198
- Phishing emails purporting to be from CIPFA? 185
- Car leasing scheme 181
- Free-standing washing machine - unfurnished lettings 169