This might be cheeky, what do you think?
I'm of the awkward generation who studied under IFRS but trades within the UK GAAP regime and I am unsure if I may be confusing the two here. I have checked the FRSSE (briefly) re the below scenario to no avail.
I have a client purchased a building with some rather nice credit terms; £250k in £500/wk instalments with only £35k down. Repayment is 8.26923077 years.
Of course, to recognise the building and corresponding loan amount and subsequent payments would be straightforward enough. But we're accountants; that's not good enough!
My plan/ploy is the time value of money over that 8 year period.
My question is:
If I effectively "Fair Value" that liability, assuming 3.5% inflation pa for example (which I calculate as £161,768.24 starting point) and subsequently recognise the unwinding of the liability as interest income... Is this then a legitimate deductible finance expense under any head of tax?
If you need reference material see p. 161 Appendix 3 of the FRSSE which details the above scenario as applied to a provision.
Any input whatsoever would be gratefully received.
- P60 from HMRC Basic Paye Tools 4,070 15
- CGT on spouse's death 242 11
- Tax relief for networking day out? 449 12
- VAT on non-denominated postage 44 2
- Starting Again 241 11
- Is cloud accounting software all just pie in the sky 606 19
- CT101 Completion 124 1
- P&L Treatment of property assets 40 1
- Non resident pension withdrawal 143 2
- Mortgage Adviser's request 256 6
- Where do Balance Sheet Gains get recognised in CT600? 711 35
- P11D Software 771 9
- PAYE Dashboard inconsistency 197 4
- Why can't I paste into AccountingWeb? 264 5
- Can shareholders lend to their company at interest? 389 10
- Payroll software 186 4
- Company UTR numbers 302 6
- Summer house for business only 137 1
- Transfer of property to Limited Company 117 1
- New starter not showing on RTI FPS submission (MoneySoft payroll) 161 3
- Construction CIS LLP Company 596
- Services via intermediaries and new HMRC reporting requirements 581
- LIVE: Budget aftermath webinar 381
- Pensions Regulator 346
- NIC contribution on unremitted income 284
- Using the correct forms 262
- SA penalty proposals 250
- RTI - duplicate employee record 240
- Accelerated payment notices 229
- How hard is it to reduce a code? 216