This might be cheeky, what do you think?
I'm of the awkward generation who studied under IFRS but trades within the UK GAAP regime and I am unsure if I may be confusing the two here. I have checked the FRSSE (briefly) re the below scenario to no avail.
I have a client purchased a building with some rather nice credit terms; £250k in £500/wk instalments with only £35k down. Repayment is 8.26923077 years.
Of course, to recognise the building and corresponding loan amount and subsequent payments would be straightforward enough. But we're accountants; that's not good enough!
My plan/ploy is the time value of money over that 8 year period.
My question is:
If I effectively "Fair Value" that liability, assuming 3.5% inflation pa for example (which I calculate as £161,768.24 starting point) and subsequently recognise the unwinding of the liability as interest income... Is this then a legitimate deductible finance expense under any head of tax?
If you need reference material see p. 161 Appendix 3 of the FRSSE which details the above scenario as applied to a provision.
Any input whatsoever would be gratefully received.
- A little knowledge 306 6
- Digita in the cloud 129 2
- Tax relief when working away 55 1
- Anybody still doing returns? 943 36
- Self assessment for directors 82 1
- Tax relief when working away 158 3
- Capital allowances on transfer of business 246 9
- Money laundering and can accountants be sued by clients if they make a report 1,306 20
- Designated sole Residence 240 5
- Scratch Head 338 1
- Year end 263 2
- US/UK Dual Citizenship 320 13
- Clothing 628 19
- Investment properties/freehold land 161 6
- Parent and subsidiary... 194 5
- Identity check problem 1,517 14
- No tax returns for 6 year 226 1
- Capital allowances on Software 240 2
- Trading Losses - 3 Year Carry Back 144 3
- Company director and KIT days 143 1
- Form MR01 (Particulars of a charge) - does this need to be filed if you remortgage with the same lender? 962
- Underpaid VAT assessment and relation to SATR 686
- Did you realise Google will not patch android exploit ... 632
- Latest phishing scam 612
- Cashback for opening business bank acct = trading income? 448
- Auto Enrolment Questions Answered 333
- Loan benefit after person ceases as director/employee 266
- Sabbatical payments 227
- Still Christmas at HMRC? 217
- Negligible Value Claim 205