This might be cheeky, what do you think?
I'm of the awkward generation who studied under IFRS but trades within the UK GAAP regime and I am unsure if I may be confusing the two here. I have checked the FRSSE (briefly) re the below scenario to no avail.
I have a client purchased a building with some rather nice credit terms; £250k in £500/wk instalments with only £35k down. Repayment is 8.26923077 years.
Of course, to recognise the building and corresponding loan amount and subsequent payments would be straightforward enough. But we're accountants; that's not good enough!
My plan/ploy is the time value of money over that 8 year period.
My question is:
If I effectively "Fair Value" that liability, assuming 3.5% inflation pa for example (which I calculate as £161,768.24 starting point) and subsequently recognise the unwinding of the liability as interest income... Is this then a legitimate deductible finance expense under any head of tax?
If you need reference material see p. 161 Appendix 3 of the FRSSE which details the above scenario as applied to a provision.
Any input whatsoever would be gratefully received.
- Can I claim mileage? 175 3
- payroll software 202 3
- Mexican student in UK 157 4
- CIMA accountant wants to start consultancy 181 2
- Income recognition - release of product from a factory 119 6
- Ownership of land - declaration of trust 39 2
- Finally a winner from HMRC!!! 230 2
- Annual Management Charge Rebates and Self Assessment Tax Return 173 1
- Ir35 test 82 1
- Partnership registered in error. No activities with view to profit. 139 2
- QuickBooks, Xero, FreeAgent and ClearBooks 877 19
- Dividend in specie 267 8
- Partnership Tax Return Deadline 104 1
- VAT on imports and the Flat Rate Scheme for VAT 194 9
- client threatening legal action 1,869 28
- Twenty signs your practice is bad at tax 727 8
- Partially exempt? 260 9
- Reclaiming EU VAT on fuel and expenses 106 1
- First VAT Visit for client 299 4
- Lorry Drivers 171 2
- Skandia using wrong address 498
- Does anyone use PS Financials accounting software out there? 281
- FHL, period of grace and Entrepreneur's relief 276
- Employee rewards 260
- Legislation access for part-time sole practitioner? 234
- Rental Property W&T And Equipment 226
- Gift of reversion and lease into trust by two different people - later PPR 224
- EPS Analysis - Change to EURO 216
- Etax Australian 175
- LLP in Construction Industry 127