This might be cheeky, what do you think?
I'm of the awkward generation who studied under IFRS but trades within the UK GAAP regime and I am unsure if I may be confusing the two here. I have checked the FRSSE (briefly) re the below scenario to no avail.
I have a client purchased a building with some rather nice credit terms; £250k in £500/wk instalments with only £35k down. Repayment is 8.26923077 years.
Of course, to recognise the building and corresponding loan amount and subsequent payments would be straightforward enough. But we're accountants; that's not good enough!
My plan/ploy is the time value of money over that 8 year period.
My question is:
If I effectively "Fair Value" that liability, assuming 3.5% inflation pa for example (which I calculate as £161,768.24 starting point) and subsequently recognise the unwinding of the liability as interest income... Is this then a legitimate deductible finance expense under any head of tax?
If you need reference material see p. 161 Appendix 3 of the FRSSE which details the above scenario as applied to a provision.
Any input whatsoever would be gratefully received.
- VAT on medical/care services? 26 1
- I'm thinking of moving to Ireland 164 2
- Live Chat on Accountancy Website 416 6
- Should we let the Client Call the Shots? 415 7
- Nominal Code for Car lease? 120 6
- VAT Variation Team 176 3
- Cloud Based Software recommendations please 45 1
- Sage help please 284 4
- charges for storing documents 180 1
- Share scheme annual returns problem 57 1
- VAT in Eu 55 1
- Sage opening balance / retained profit nightmare! 121 2
- minimum shareholding 77 1
- Budget 2015 - take two 371 4
- Timesheet and travel expenses software for engineering consultants 195 4
- Auto-enrolment - fact or fiction? 241 2
- CGT, PPR and transfer of equity to spouse. 338 6
- Definition of "relative" in benefits code 110 1
- Benefit in kind but no salary 375 6
- Landlord probs - IHT, CGT and cashflow 253 6
- Straight line write off of Purchase Goodwill ??? 473
- Has anyone been affected by the RBS payment breakdown? 457
- WIP Software 326
- No payroll scheme in place 273
- Is there anything wrong with this? 247
- Do subcontractors on work for residential (student accomodation) construction 243
- Small Part Disposal of Property 222
- Uncommercial property business 216
- Apple Employees - RSU vesting and tax witheld 186
- SA Penalty 179