This might be cheeky, what do you think?
I'm of the awkward generation who studied under IFRS but trades within the UK GAAP regime and I am unsure if I may be confusing the two here. I have checked the FRSSE (briefly) re the below scenario to no avail.
I have a client purchased a building with some rather nice credit terms; £250k in £500/wk instalments with only £35k down. Repayment is 8.26923077 years.
Of course, to recognise the building and corresponding loan amount and subsequent payments would be straightforward enough. But we're accountants; that's not good enough!
My plan/ploy is the time value of money over that 8 year period.
My question is:
If I effectively "Fair Value" that liability, assuming 3.5% inflation pa for example (which I calculate as £161,768.24 starting point) and subsequently recognise the unwinding of the liability as interest income... Is this then a legitimate deductible finance expense under any head of tax?
If you need reference material see p. 161 Appendix 3 of the FRSSE which details the above scenario as applied to a provision.
Any input whatsoever would be gratefully received.
- Solicitors now, Accountants next 227 4
- Follower cases 546 2
- Management Company Setup Structure as Limited Company 264 5
- PAYE coding out 97 2
- Accountancy practices - are you closed over Christmas or do you let your staff take it off? 684 23
- LIVE chat, starting now 424 2
- Late Registration for VAT 418 12
- WHY AREN'T DWP RULES THE SAME BOTH WAYS ROUND 367 5
- Depression - HMRC penalties case won because of this illness. 146 3
- TheTax Donut 1,114 1
- Can S455 tax repaid 106 2
- VAT avoidance? 96 1
- How come if you claim benefits you are not entitled to you either have to pay a 50% penalty or are sent to court and either fined or sent to prison (sometimes suspended) and end up with a criminal record. 280 6
- Batch input of data to Xero - is there an app? 691 10
- How to explain this to someone 368 2
- Register for self assessment again as LLP member? 74 2
- Problems with Sage 50 Payroll v21(2015) pension module 701 5
- TaxCalc Accounts production 306 4
- Old CGT loss 353 10
- ACCA - still making me laugh 337 2
- Hive up 454
- Accounting referance change & deficient accounts. 420
- corporate hierarchy 408
- Advice - 231
- can anyone recommend Turkish speaking accountants in London 204
- Amortisation of Goodwill 199
- Anyone had HMRC refusing to act on EPS database glitch? 187
- WWOOFers 184
- Legal Aid Agency claims and VAT 167
- Art Gallery - Splitting a property between business and personal use 165