Mileage claim - self employed courier driver
I have a client who is a self employed courier.
His turnover is approx £60,000 pa. He is voluntarily registered for VAT.
He currently claims in his accounts for all motor expenses - van lease / fuel / insurance etc.
Can the alternative method be used ? 45p / 25p per mile. Does this apply to vans?
He does approx 70,000 to 80,000 miles per year, so the claim would be huge, and more tax efficient than claiming the actual expenses.
Does the fact that he is VAT registered prevent him from using this method ? (even though his turnover is below the registration threshold)
Is VAT reclaimable when using the mileage method rather than actual expenses ?
Thanks for help
- What sectors to target? 594 30
- FYAs on second-hand vans 244 7
- Rent a room scheme query. 170 3
- client can't/won't pay 1,920 41
- Self assesment online 975 11
- UKBA financial requirements for spouse visa 253 21
- Why do I do this every year 382 9
- Watch out self-assessment scam e-mail 294 5
- closing limited company 159 2
- VAT when selling on Amazon 77 1
- HMRC filing meltdown? 504 14
- Childcare voucher schemes 245 9
- IHT and US resident 56 1
- Limited Companies Merger 208 6
- Incidental costs of Acquisition for inherited property/shares 134 1
- Practice management 378 7
- IHT and cash gifts 244 5
- HMRC Sends Derbyshire pensioner Doug Yeomans tax demand for £4.7 BILLION! 530 13
- Pounds Shillings and Pence 1,598 42
- Capital allowances in first basis period 254 1
- Form MR01 (Particulars of a charge) - does this need to be filed if you remortgage with the same lender? 926
- Underpaid VAT assessment and relation to SATR 645
- Did you realise Google will not patch android exploit ... 594
- Latest phishing scam 574
- Cashback for opening business bank acct = trading income? 411
- Auto Enrolment Questions Answered 310
- Scratch Head 239
- Loan benefit after person ceases as director/employee 229
- Sabbatical payments 195
- Negligible Value Claim 171