Mileage claim - self employed courier driver
I have a client who is a self employed courier.
His turnover is approx £60,000 pa. He is voluntarily registered for VAT.
He currently claims in his accounts for all motor expenses - van lease / fuel / insurance etc.
Can the alternative method be used ? 45p / 25p per mile. Does this apply to vans?
He does approx 70,000 to 80,000 miles per year, so the claim would be huge, and more tax efficient than claiming the actual expenses.
Does the fact that he is VAT registered prevent him from using this method ? (even though his turnover is below the registration threshold)
Is VAT reclaimable when using the mileage method rather than actual expenses ?
Thanks for help
- RTI Filing 1,736 22
- Would this save hours of your time? 50 1
- Wrong career 44 1
- Fee's for P11D's 285 5
- Agent with HMRC 234 10
- Quarterly PAYE 207 7
- Producing graphical KPI's etc 38 1
- reporting salary? 163 3
- Payroll software : RTI submissions 313 16
- CGT on Inherited Property 267 2
- Employment Allowance related companies 89 3
- Value pricing 572 19
- One man Company and closing payroll scheme as none paid 382 1
- Childcare Vouchers 171 3
- Audit Report Query 185 5
- Coming in from the cold 216 2
- What password safe app does anyone recommend? 1,307 26
- VAT Query re: Foreign VAT 94 1
- Should design costs be capitalised? 133 3
- Issuing an invoice as an individual (non UK resident) 81 1
- Residential Property Purchase Above £750K 768
- Using Sage with Sofa Categories 522
- Does anyone have an unwanted ICAEW wooden plaque? 390
- Goods shipped inter EU and VAT Reporting 273
- Sage 200 and Access Dimensions reviews 216
- Non-Resident Director - UK Tax Position? 215
- Director Loan account operation 204
- transferring simply accounting 2010 from xp to windows 7 203
- vat return 166
- Free Tax Legislation? 159