Mileage claim - self employed courier driver
I have a client who is a self employed courier.
His turnover is approx £60,000 pa. He is voluntarily registered for VAT.
He currently claims in his accounts for all motor expenses - van lease / fuel / insurance etc.
Can the alternative method be used ? 45p / 25p per mile. Does this apply to vans?
He does approx 70,000 to 80,000 miles per year, so the claim would be huge, and more tax efficient than claiming the actual expenses.
Does the fact that he is VAT registered prevent him from using this method ? (even though his turnover is below the registration threshold)
Is VAT reclaimable when using the mileage method rather than actual expenses ?
Thanks for help
- Can employer reduce my ACCA tuition fees? 26 1
- Comment Deletion 47 1
- change director details just before striking-off 115 2
- Bank account frozen 154 3
- Concurrent users 759 10
- owner paying for purchases and other expenses from personal account 189 4
- Where to enter asset disposal proceeds on CT600 94 1
- Charity Account-independent examiner 196 3
- VAT on Second Hand Touring Caravans 220 7
- Set-off interest received against interest paid? 101 1
- VAT and selling on Amazon 95 1
- Do you use commercial software for Self Assessment tax returns? 879 26
- Writing Website Content 680 23
- Share valuation upon death of shareholder 124 2
- Pension contributions and childcare vouchers 180 4
- Best way to convert Sage data to VT Transaction+ 252 2
- Badges of trade 357 6
- Can HMRC charge penalties now for a tax return due for 2005? 291 4
- CT61 Interest - Is it voluntary? 149 2
- AIA 356 5
- Any knowledge of salesorder.com 452
- Could and would anyone here carry out a hot file review of some non statutory audit work please? 422
- Electric Car 357
- S222 Charge 283
- Corporation tax penalties and fines on the CT600 263
- IP trans to holding company 219
- Payroll Manager - tax code for starter declaration 'C' 205
- Car used both in a partnership and sole trader business - how to claim capital allowances? 195
- Career advice needed regarding accouting systems analysis 164
- Simple Partnership Agreement Template 162