Mileage claim - self employed courier driver
I have a client who is a self employed courier.
His turnover is approx £60,000 pa. He is voluntarily registered for VAT.
He currently claims in his accounts for all motor expenses - van lease / fuel / insurance etc.
Can the alternative method be used ? 45p / 25p per mile. Does this apply to vans?
He does approx 70,000 to 80,000 miles per year, so the claim would be huge, and more tax efficient than claiming the actual expenses.
Does the fact that he is VAT registered prevent him from using this method ? (even though his turnover is below the registration threshold)
Is VAT reclaimable when using the mileage method rather than actual expenses ?
Thanks for help
- Letting relief on property transferred to a spouse 231 7
- Charge for use of credit card - permitted 294 7
- Flat rate Vat Scheme & Vat on wholesale production of Cakes and other deserts 244 10
- New Built in oven - allowable as repair? 235 4
- Accounting for Bank Loyalty Rewards? 99 1
- General tax book with planning 224 5
- Anybody heard of Geniac, the new De Lorean? 157 3
- tax on apprenticeship income 191 1
- are receipts needed? 534 14
- Gift of property & improvements 150 3
- VAT Invoice 206 6
- VAT code for invoice from not VAT registered company 280 5
- Error in past Corporate tax return 377 6
- Limited Company - Personal Bank Account 3,275 69
- 2013/14 failure to submit end of year submission 313 11
- Company overdue but wants to be struck off 821 32
- IHT and Swiss Property 140 1
- Sale of house with planning permission - tax free? 265 3
- Vat code for journal entries of director's expenses 178 2
- Claiming VAT and missing receipts 479 10
- Skandia using wrong address 1,622
- Nil Rate Band Trust - index linked debt by way of charge over property 903
- International interest certificate 514
- NOVA 369
- Have we escaped Gift with Reservation of Benfit & Pre-owned asset charges? - Gift after benefit 310
- Management expenses for investment company 269
- Bonus Bonds 263
- Entertainer withholding tax in Australia 177
- Going to need a tax, insolvency and legal specialist I think 161
- P11D benefit received by widow 153