Mileage claim - self employed courier driver
I have a client who is a self employed courier.
His turnover is approx £60,000 pa. He is voluntarily registered for VAT.
He currently claims in his accounts for all motor expenses - van lease / fuel / insurance etc.
Can the alternative method be used ? 45p / 25p per mile. Does this apply to vans?
He does approx 70,000 to 80,000 miles per year, so the claim would be huge, and more tax efficient than claiming the actual expenses.
Does the fact that he is VAT registered prevent him from using this method ? (even though his turnover is below the registration threshold)
Is VAT reclaimable when using the mileage method rather than actual expenses ?
Thanks for help
- Buying a business premises in a pension 178 3
- Unilateral Relief - How to calculate UK tax paid 173 2
- Tax efficient vehicle 471 9
- Going through security 256 5
- Scientist switch to accountancy - work experience? 462 17
- Dividend Tax Petition 301 3
- Sage VAT return reports difference post reconciliation 226 1
- Bank reconciliation 262 8
- Practice software 659 14
- Financial Forecasting software recommendations please 334 3
- Sage Accounts in a mess 269 5
- Buy to let investors and the budget changes. 158 2
- Business only use of company car 212 5
- As I was saying, Its VAT question day 245 7
- Goodwill on incorporation 503 17
- Paying PAYE by Direct Debit 354 10
- Mortgage Interest - Tax Deductible 198 2
- Retail business software/accounting system 138 2
- Tax on LLP members drawings not covered by future profits 200 9
- Certificate of Tax Deposit and APN's 110 1
- RTI Rollback to delete incorrect data 240
- Motor Traders Assistant Bookkeeping Programme queries 225
- Vouchedfor.co.uk 212
- Tracesmart/Lexis Nexis AML software? Any opinions? 199
- Web site and client access area advice 182
- Expenses Software 179
- VAT FRS percentage for sales person? 169
- CTA Material 162
- Any thoughts on Capium? 161
- Sage Compatible P60's Self Seal 160