Mileage claim - self employed courier driver
I have a client who is a self employed courier.
His turnover is approx £60,000 pa. He is voluntarily registered for VAT.
He currently claims in his accounts for all motor expenses - van lease / fuel / insurance etc.
Can the alternative method be used ? 45p / 25p per mile. Does this apply to vans?
He does approx 70,000 to 80,000 miles per year, so the claim would be huge, and more tax efficient than claiming the actual expenses.
Does the fact that he is VAT registered prevent him from using this method ? (even though his turnover is below the registration threshold)
Is VAT reclaimable when using the mileage method rather than actual expenses ?
Thanks for help
- HMRC Penalties - are they enforceable? 52 4
- Anyone use Xero for estate agent clients? 64 1
- Who can I refer leads to? 228 6
- Companies House 276 4
- RTI - EPS - ??? 64 2
- Contractor/ Ltd Co/with pension 93 2
- Minutes & Dividend Vouchers 317 9
- Non-reporting of BIK - income tax liability 97 1
- I hate HMRC's voice recognition system - The Inept Interrogator 203 6
- PAYE Refund Farce At HMRC 660 8
- Can a director pay for their childs tuition through the company 645 14
- Benefit of my ACCA membership to my Non Qualified Employer 128 1
- Donaldson v HMRC - result?? 659 7
- Can a sole trader carry back losses to reclaim some tax paid from previous years? 470 5
- SA tax assessments 166 2
- Director self assessment 402 16
- Sage Import Data 175 4
- Late payroll submission on sage 236 2
- Dividend Vouchers 280 4
- Engagement letter 202 4
- DTR : TIOPA 2010 Section 42 425
- CTA study material 390
- Sect 102 TMA 1970 287
- Sage Forecasting - Print filename 266
- Pre incorp expenses 239
- Relief on French Tax Deposit? 216
- Anyone have clients that use Pay4Later to offer customers credit? 209
- Slight twist on employment related securities 195
- How to claim additional losses after mistake in CT return 141
- What is the tax position if I am working overseas but via a UK agency? 139