Mileage claim - self employed courier driver
I have a client who is a self employed courier.
His turnover is approx £60,000 pa. He is voluntarily registered for VAT.
He currently claims in his accounts for all motor expenses - van lease / fuel / insurance etc.
Can the alternative method be used ? 45p / 25p per mile. Does this apply to vans?
He does approx 70,000 to 80,000 miles per year, so the claim would be huge, and more tax efficient than claiming the actual expenses.
Does the fact that he is VAT registered prevent him from using this method ? (even though his turnover is below the registration threshold)
Is VAT reclaimable when using the mileage method rather than actual expenses ?
Thanks for help
- Proof of identification 26 1
- How much does the company pay 753 32
- When to provide S419 tax in the accounts 49 2
- Which tax returns can I submit? 61 1
- Accounting for cash put into Ltd 284 5
- Using home as clients registered address 177 4
- Childcare vouchers 359 8
- Is this a qualifying loan for interest deductions? 65 2
- New Enterprise Allowance 67 1
- VAT Notice 700/64 - claiming VAT on motor repairs 52 1
- two business from one premises 179 3
- VAT transfer on going concern on incorporation 41 1
- SELLING A PROPERTY at LOSS/PROFIT - CAP GAINS ALLOWANCE 239 4
- HMRC property income enquiry 411 9
- 10 Worst xmas presents for an accountant 343 4
- Merry Christmas 118 2
- THEATRE SHOW - HIRE - VAT PAYABLE ON TICKET SALES 81 3
- New Incorporations - ERTNAC hoax - anyone else seen this? 1,090 12
- Anyone else still working this week? 422 13
- LTD home office - would HMRC seek to disallow 1,431 9
- Accounting referance change & deficient accounts. 507
- corporate hierarchy 470
- Advice - 325
- Anyone had HMRC refusing to act on EPS database glitch? 275
- WWOOFers 265
- The booking.com con 248
- Art Gallery - Splitting a property between business and personal use 244
- Cocaine anyone? 230
- Tax liabilities in USA for warehoused products 220
- UK State pension paid in NZ 177