Is the minimal salary / top up with dividends actually allowed?
I'm a small freelancer accountant & have just taken on my first contractor client. He has set up a limited company and just started work on his first contract. I have explained IR35 implications to him, although the agency he got the contract through has assured he won't be caught by IR35 with this contract. He is going to submit his contract to HMRC for an opinion anyway, just to be sure.
In the meantime, he has registered as an employer & is wanting me to set up his payroll for him. Assuming that he isnt caught by IR35, is it really still acceptable to set up his remuneration as minimal salary (eg below PAYE / NIC thresholds) and pay the rest as dividend? I was under the impression that this is frowned upon by HMRC..... I also have an old work colleague who does a lot of contractor accounting & says that this is the norm - virtually all contractors pay themselves a minimal salary & top it up with dividend each month.
Am I being daft / too cautious to advise that my client doesnt do this, or is is perfectly acceptable to HMRC for someone to pay salary so that it just falls below PAYE / NIC threshold, then declare legal dividends (with all accompanying paperwork) each month?
Is it advisable to pay below PAYE / NIC threshold but ABOVE the LEL so as to trigger pension credits?
Any advice much appreciated.....
- How do you get HMRC to refund overpaid PAYE and NIC 418 5
- RTI lost some data on laptop packing up!! 42 1
- Bank Requesting clients' tax residence 220 4
- Practice Company Secretarial Software recommendations please 136 2
- Does This Company Need To File A Tax Return 126 1
- Is a property owner charging a peppercorn rent to a limited company acceptable 177 5
- Who's going to the next Tick & Bash? 304 4
- HMRC computer behind the times 123 2
- fraud 393 1
- Optimum salary for directors appointed part way through the year 213 3
- Which purchase date should I consider in the asset register 191 2
- UK property, split year non-UK reisdent help 99 1
- VAT on employee loan 362 6
- Interest, surcharges and interest on late payment of tax 161 3
- Travel expenses from Spain to the UK - tax deductible ? 308 9
- Auto enrolment 1,502 14
- Charity requirements to report ALL I&E in accounts 180 3
- Client's company struck off 626 17
- Extension of lease in flat management company 124 1
- Does SMP and SPP go up if leave goes across 2 tax years? 220 7
- QROP pension input amounts 474
- HMRC BENCHMARK EXPENSES 435
- write off loan or loan to equity swap or both 412
- Sole trade business in UK, but the owner works from EU 262
- EPS and CIS deductions 256
- Construction CIS LLP Company 245
- Stamp duty on house transfer between spouses 209
- SAGE winforecast 177
- LIVE: Budget aftermath webinar 170
- Managing deliberate defaulters hmrc 161