Is the minimal salary / top up with dividends actually allowed?
I'm a small freelancer accountant & have just taken on my first contractor client. He has set up a limited company and just started work on his first contract. I have explained IR35 implications to him, although the agency he got the contract through has assured he won't be caught by IR35 with this contract. He is going to submit his contract to HMRC for an opinion anyway, just to be sure.
In the meantime, he has registered as an employer & is wanting me to set up his payroll for him. Assuming that he isnt caught by IR35, is it really still acceptable to set up his remuneration as minimal salary (eg below PAYE / NIC thresholds) and pay the rest as dividend? I was under the impression that this is frowned upon by HMRC..... I also have an old work colleague who does a lot of contractor accounting & says that this is the norm - virtually all contractors pay themselves a minimal salary & top it up with dividend each month.
Am I being daft / too cautious to advise that my client doesnt do this, or is is perfectly acceptable to HMRC for someone to pay salary so that it just falls below PAYE / NIC threshold, then declare legal dividends (with all accompanying paperwork) each month?
Is it advisable to pay below PAYE / NIC threshold but ABOVE the LEL so as to trigger pension credits?
Any advice much appreciated.....
- ACCA practice certificates 40 1
- Accounts submitted to a the charities comission 178 3
- FILING COMPANY ACCOUNTS 1,077 32
- French Excise Duty - Help Please! 156 2
- What would you do in this situation? 678 14
- Dress code 497 13
- What quality paper do you use for correspondence? 516 16
- Project being run jointly 209 3
- Buying Microsoft's Surface Pro 3 318 4
- Companies House 614 9
- not self employed since March 2011 now received a penalty for late tax return for year 2012-13 372 11
- Where to start to get any of jobs in Finance and Accounting Industry 736 9
- How much did you pay for your website 1,451 25
- Help Required 429 10
- directors control and tax problems 312 5
- Fastest Software 809 13
- What's in a name ? 409 5
- Straightforward email correspondence or PDF letter attached to blank email? 321 4
- Bulk Invoicing 195 6
- Travel and Substinance expenses while abroad 190 3
- CTA study material 715
- Anyone have clients that use Pay4Later to offer customers credit? 440
- Employment related securities question 275
- Recommendations for Ross Martin Tax consultancy 2014 261
- AIM Stocks and IHT 253
- Raiders of the Lost Tax File 231
- Tax Relief for overseas employees 216
- Expat pension contributions? 204
- Trust for Employee 203
- Quickbooks losing VAT return data 185