Is the minimal salary / top up with dividends actually allowed?
I'm a small freelancer accountant & have just taken on my first contractor client. He has set up a limited company and just started work on his first contract. I have explained IR35 implications to him, although the agency he got the contract through has assured he won't be caught by IR35 with this contract. He is going to submit his contract to HMRC for an opinion anyway, just to be sure.
In the meantime, he has registered as an employer & is wanting me to set up his payroll for him. Assuming that he isnt caught by IR35, is it really still acceptable to set up his remuneration as minimal salary (eg below PAYE / NIC thresholds) and pay the rest as dividend? I was under the impression that this is frowned upon by HMRC..... I also have an old work colleague who does a lot of contractor accounting & says that this is the norm - virtually all contractors pay themselves a minimal salary & top it up with dividend each month.
Am I being daft / too cautious to advise that my client doesnt do this, or is is perfectly acceptable to HMRC for someone to pay salary so that it just falls below PAYE / NIC threshold, then declare legal dividends (with all accompanying paperwork) each month?
Is it advisable to pay below PAYE / NIC threshold but ABOVE the LEL so as to trigger pension credits?
Any advice much appreciated.....
- Wear and tear allowance 416 9
- VAT Turnover 32 1
- Can a sole-trader make pension contributions to avoid loss of personal allowance? 63 1
- HMRC - No Deadline to Respond? 94 1
- IR35 - it it worth worrying about any more? 293 5
- Alerting clients versus walking away from clients 124 2
- Recording fuel VAT adjustment in Sage 108 4
- Company purchase of shares 263 16
- Pension contributions and unused allowances 97 2
- VAT QUESTION 135 2
- Holding on to fees paid monthly for work not yet done? 1,092 14
- Surprise visit from HMRC! 2,218 15
- Stamp duty on multiple property transaction 211 13
- Why should I retain membership? 2,236 35
- BTL property solely in wife's name - can she split rental income with husband? 486 14
- Recourse to Accountant for incorrect accounts 668 10
- CIS deductions against the wrong UTR 160 5
- Is CGT roll over relief available for let property 96 1
- HMRC Underpayment notices. Are they related to Employers Allowance 164 1
- Starting Self Employment while Employed in Practice 2,626 41
- Feedback on accounts production software for IFRS 683
- Auto enrolment excuses 620
- Add T&Cs to Sales Order in Sage 362
- Social investment tax relief 174
- Call Centre Data Costs 174
- Digita Hosted Software 169
- option to tax 155
- VAT on deposits 138
- Buying goods in US and selling them to company in US 134
- Cars Leased primarily for Taxi Hire 130