Is the minimal salary / top up with dividends actually allowed?
I'm a small freelancer accountant & have just taken on my first contractor client. He has set up a limited company and just started work on his first contract. I have explained IR35 implications to him, although the agency he got the contract through has assured he won't be caught by IR35 with this contract. He is going to submit his contract to HMRC for an opinion anyway, just to be sure.
In the meantime, he has registered as an employer & is wanting me to set up his payroll for him. Assuming that he isnt caught by IR35, is it really still acceptable to set up his remuneration as minimal salary (eg below PAYE / NIC thresholds) and pay the rest as dividend? I was under the impression that this is frowned upon by HMRC..... I also have an old work colleague who does a lot of contractor accounting & says that this is the norm - virtually all contractors pay themselves a minimal salary & top it up with dividend each month.
Am I being daft / too cautious to advise that my client doesnt do this, or is is perfectly acceptable to HMRC for someone to pay salary so that it just falls below PAYE / NIC threshold, then declare legal dividends (with all accompanying paperwork) each month?
Is it advisable to pay below PAYE / NIC threshold but ABOVE the LEL so as to trigger pension credits?
Any advice much appreciated.....
- How to post Sales figures in Sage50 Accounts (we use separate Sales ledger) 135 3
- Lloyds bank ... 395 6
- Do I need to pay my accountant 211 4
- What is the status of "Whistleblowing" these days - do you get rewarded? 227 5
- Goodwill omitted from first years accounts 347 18
- Limited company buying a car 194 5
- Buying Microsoft's Surface Pro 3 471 10
- Straightforward email correspondence or PDF letter attached to blank email? 575 6
- Course costs for retraining as a barrister 230 7
- Travel and Subsistence expenses while abroad 299 4
- ACCA practice certificates 508 5
- Limited company buying director's car 312 10
- Question on HMRC past taxes (+penalties) on non-resident 96 1
- Is it possible to change a client's trading address for Vat purposes online 131 1
- WC's and capital allowances 182 3
- Entrepeneurs relief 319 13
- Dress code 1,559 36
- Which company is best for online new company formation? 485 13
- CTA and Tolley's tax handbooks 267 6
- HMRC Seminar on Penalties - Did you last the course? 394 4
- CTA study material 772
- Anyone have clients that use Pay4Later to offer customers credit? 484
- Raiders of the Lost Tax File 401
- Employment related securities question 311
- AIM Stocks and IHT 282
- Expat pension contributions? 260
- Tax Relief for overseas employees 260
- Trust for Employee 239
- Service Charge Accountant Career Options 187
- IPP (International Pension Plan) income 149