Is the minimal salary / top up with dividends actually allowed?
I'm a small freelancer accountant & have just taken on my first contractor client. He has set up a limited company and just started work on his first contract. I have explained IR35 implications to him, although the agency he got the contract through has assured he won't be caught by IR35 with this contract. He is going to submit his contract to HMRC for an opinion anyway, just to be sure.
In the meantime, he has registered as an employer & is wanting me to set up his payroll for him. Assuming that he isnt caught by IR35, is it really still acceptable to set up his remuneration as minimal salary (eg below PAYE / NIC thresholds) and pay the rest as dividend? I was under the impression that this is frowned upon by HMRC..... I also have an old work colleague who does a lot of contractor accounting & says that this is the norm - virtually all contractors pay themselves a minimal salary & top it up with dividend each month.
Am I being daft / too cautious to advise that my client doesnt do this, or is is perfectly acceptable to HMRC for someone to pay salary so that it just falls below PAYE / NIC threshold, then declare legal dividends (with all accompanying paperwork) each month?
Is it advisable to pay below PAYE / NIC threshold but ABOVE the LEL so as to trigger pension credits?
Any advice much appreciated.....
- Concerned about RTI 2014 1,543 30
- Definition of "Ultimate Controlling Party" FRS 8 370 16
- No Prrof of Posting of Tax Return sent by Post 349 11
- Consolidation and subsidiaries with different period ends 80 4
- register as self employed? 52 2
- Renting property to yourself 250 7
- Who owns SAGE Data? 68 1
- VAT enquiry 51 1
- Write off of former director's loan 189 4
- A previous partnership, a dispute and their conduct now 226 4
- Capital gain or not? 107 3
- EC VAT 152 5
- Accountant software 233 3
- Forecasting Software 188 2
- Playstation 4 - Allowable expense or not? 1,822 21
- Accountant Pays Clients Tax 386 5
- Which software for practice books? 276 5
- Employer wishes to meet the cost of a number of employees childcare costs 100 3
- LTD company late penalties 251 4
- Sub Post master / NIC 115 1
- Desperately seeking Susan, Sam or anyone with any other name 623
- CIS to 5/10/13 and HMRC Computer issue 480
- Experience with Islamic investor following Sharia-compliant rules? 445
- Darwinpay Partnership Assessment 274
- How to format a stock book 227
- S464A Charge to tax: conferring benefit & BIK 192
- Foreign income on Self Assesment 179
- Tax efficient holding company structure 166
- Investment property company accounts template 159
- Outlook 2007 with business contact manager not loading on new laptop 148