Is the minimal salary / top up with dividends actually allowed?
I'm a small freelancer accountant & have just taken on my first contractor client. He has set up a limited company and just started work on his first contract. I have explained IR35 implications to him, although the agency he got the contract through has assured he won't be caught by IR35 with this contract. He is going to submit his contract to HMRC for an opinion anyway, just to be sure.
In the meantime, he has registered as an employer & is wanting me to set up his payroll for him. Assuming that he isnt caught by IR35, is it really still acceptable to set up his remuneration as minimal salary (eg below PAYE / NIC thresholds) and pay the rest as dividend? I was under the impression that this is frowned upon by HMRC..... I also have an old work colleague who does a lot of contractor accounting & says that this is the norm - virtually all contractors pay themselves a minimal salary & top it up with dividend each month.
Am I being daft / too cautious to advise that my client doesnt do this, or is is perfectly acceptable to HMRC for someone to pay salary so that it just falls below PAYE / NIC threshold, then declare legal dividends (with all accompanying paperwork) each month?
Is it advisable to pay below PAYE / NIC threshold but ABOVE the LEL so as to trigger pension credits?
Any advice much appreciated.....
- US company hiring UK citizens in UK 264 4
- Corrupt excel .XLSX file 42 1
- incorrect old p60 477 13
- Are you going to Tick and Bash on 21 May? 1,153 31
- What VAT to reclaim on van purchased on HP? 293 5
- Professional coaching claimable? 177 2
- Turnover on a tax return 368 9
- IT Contractor 253 1
- Sage instant account codes 140 1
- Networking 190 1
- Mobile phones, directors of micro-companies 230 1
- Cashflow forecasting software 311 4
- Letter to HMRC over 3 months ago, still no reply 1,941 19
- Companies House paper incorporation - date of birth omission 312 4
- VAT refund 207 1
- Is there an AIA calculator anywhere 281 1
- Reclaiming VAT on refurbishment cost? 276 3
- Missing tax return 402 4
- Inflation and fees 1,422 24
- Sage Priority Support 197 3