Is the minimal salary / top up with dividends actually allowed?
I'm a small freelancer accountant & have just taken on my first contractor client. He has set up a limited company and just started work on his first contract. I have explained IR35 implications to him, although the agency he got the contract through has assured he won't be caught by IR35 with this contract. He is going to submit his contract to HMRC for an opinion anyway, just to be sure.
In the meantime, he has registered as an employer & is wanting me to set up his payroll for him. Assuming that he isnt caught by IR35, is it really still acceptable to set up his remuneration as minimal salary (eg below PAYE / NIC thresholds) and pay the rest as dividend? I was under the impression that this is frowned upon by HMRC..... I also have an old work colleague who does a lot of contractor accounting & says that this is the norm - virtually all contractors pay themselves a minimal salary & top it up with dividend each month.
Am I being daft / too cautious to advise that my client doesnt do this, or is is perfectly acceptable to HMRC for someone to pay salary so that it just falls below PAYE / NIC threshold, then declare legal dividends (with all accompanying paperwork) each month?
Is it advisable to pay below PAYE / NIC threshold but ABOVE the LEL so as to trigger pension credits?
Any advice much appreciated.....
- Do I Need A Balance Sheet? 134 3
- Filing FPS early with moneysoft 185 14
- Have we a distribution when we reduced our capital but it hadn't been registered? & tax implications in winding up 86 1
- Invoice Help 221 7
- Summer evenings and ponderings of capital allowances 146 3
- Employee overpaid who has left 225 4
- Limited Company keeping receipts 218 3
- Sorry ignore me 890 24
- Donaldson v HMRC case being heard tomorrow! 565 5
- What are options for non CA firm 1,935 35
- Director forgot to take salary for 2013/2014 2,248 12
- Errors in prior year accounts 795 20
- VAT & capitalising 85 1
- Have I dropped a major clanger? 338 5
- Free Shares ? 243 2
- Is this a scam? 564 7
- Rental property: expenses when up for sale and not let 296 7
- How do I calculate the VAT due (cash basis) on receipts which suffer a cis deduction? 279 6
- Purchase of freehold by flat management company 150 1
- Peer to Peer lending 869 9
- Proposed Amendments to IAS 1 624
- Property exchange - 8-year legal delay following fall-out 530
- SAGE Payroll Data for Import to MS Dynamics AX 294
- Cancelled 284
- Cancelled 244
- Have you staged yet for auto enrolment? 191
- Sage Report Designer - Nominal Activity in Currency 189
- Probiz 170
- What's the market like for temps? 165
- Married woman dies owning marital home 165