Is the minimal salary / top up with dividends actually allowed?
I'm a small freelancer accountant & have just taken on my first contractor client. He has set up a limited company and just started work on his first contract. I have explained IR35 implications to him, although the agency he got the contract through has assured he won't be caught by IR35 with this contract. He is going to submit his contract to HMRC for an opinion anyway, just to be sure.
In the meantime, he has registered as an employer & is wanting me to set up his payroll for him. Assuming that he isnt caught by IR35, is it really still acceptable to set up his remuneration as minimal salary (eg below PAYE / NIC thresholds) and pay the rest as dividend? I was under the impression that this is frowned upon by HMRC..... I also have an old work colleague who does a lot of contractor accounting & says that this is the norm - virtually all contractors pay themselves a minimal salary & top it up with dividend each month.
Am I being daft / too cautious to advise that my client doesnt do this, or is is perfectly acceptable to HMRC for someone to pay salary so that it just falls below PAYE / NIC threshold, then declare legal dividends (with all accompanying paperwork) each month?
Is it advisable to pay below PAYE / NIC threshold but ABOVE the LEL so as to trigger pension credits?
Any advice much appreciated.....
- Drive off and Wastage expenses - No supp doc 72 3
- wave software 100 1
- Freelance software consultant 315 5
- client can't/won't pay 257 11
- RTI Annual Scheme 1,126 14
- Window Comb Binder Cover 86 2
- Splitting income from property rental or not? 208 5
- Sole trade and vehicle leasing 129 3
- Tax deduction for Partners for items outside of accounts 204 6
- losses carried forward 362 10
- Taxcalc , the hub of the problem 466 22
- Auto enrolment 1,618 26
- Is it possible to offset part Class 4 losses for year from one business against part profits of second business 208 8
- VT 345 7
- Warning! Cannot pay SA tax at Post Office 697 18
- 5% penalty on late payment 151 2
- Ongoing trade? 240 5
- Tax Enquiry - Inspector Error 295 2
- Welcome to the Saturday Club 900 41
- Loan repayments (personal) and profits 152 3
- Form MR01 (Particulars of a charge) - does this need to be filed if you remortgage with the same lender? 779
- Copy Wanted 491
- Underpaid VAT assessment and relation to SATR 453
- Did you realise Google will not patch android exploit ... 451
- Latest phishing scam 280
- Entrepreneurs' relief 265
- Limited Company Garden Office - Minor Personal Use - BIK 261
- Corporate LLP with 30 June Year end - How to record on SA800? 244
- Supply teachers and Ltd Companies 231
- Cashback for opening business bank acct = trading income? 227