Is the minimal salary / top up with dividends actually allowed?
I'm a small freelancer accountant & have just taken on my first contractor client. He has set up a limited company and just started work on his first contract. I have explained IR35 implications to him, although the agency he got the contract through has assured he won't be caught by IR35 with this contract. He is going to submit his contract to HMRC for an opinion anyway, just to be sure.
In the meantime, he has registered as an employer & is wanting me to set up his payroll for him. Assuming that he isnt caught by IR35, is it really still acceptable to set up his remuneration as minimal salary (eg below PAYE / NIC thresholds) and pay the rest as dividend? I was under the impression that this is frowned upon by HMRC..... I also have an old work colleague who does a lot of contractor accounting & says that this is the norm - virtually all contractors pay themselves a minimal salary & top it up with dividend each month.
Am I being daft / too cautious to advise that my client doesnt do this, or is is perfectly acceptable to HMRC for someone to pay salary so that it just falls below PAYE / NIC threshold, then declare legal dividends (with all accompanying paperwork) each month?
Is it advisable to pay below PAYE / NIC threshold but ABOVE the LEL so as to trigger pension credits?
Any advice much appreciated.....
- Cleaners wages at small church -PAYE or self employed ? 137 4
- ideas for a bonus scheme for accountants 409 4
- sole trader - operating under cis 74 2
- What does it mean?? 364 11
- Paint Manufacturer Flat Rate Scheme 289 13
- VAT on motor expenses 899 32
- Sage Payroll with 'employees' not having tax or NI deducted 73 1
- Why do HMRC have a different FPS liability to the amount I sent? 1,711 22
- Limited Company - Personal Bank Account 2,313 40
- How to account fot Cross-border vat. 109 1
- Entrepreneurs' relief for trustees - receipt of rent 140 3
- Associated companies - CT small profits relief 169 7
- Introduction of Goodwill 205 5
- PayPal Transaction Analysis 163 4
- Incorporation - any tax advantage? 750 19
- Company overdue but wants to be struck off 393 12
- Money transfers between companies owned by one person 212 9
- A change from the old Q v NQ debate 336 11
- Sage 50 (2010) 120 2
- Recommendation of US tax adviser? 98 1
- Skandia using wrong address 1,548
- Nil Rate Band Trust - index linked debt by way of charge over property 853
- International interest certificate 472
- NOVA 329
- Subby expenses subject to tax & NI? 237
- Can Limited Company Buy Share of Rental Property? 224
- Management expenses for investment company 211
- DOUBLE TAXATION RELIEF BETWEEN A PRIVATE LTD COMPANY AND GREECE (the private Ltd has no employees and its main activity is 210
- Bonus Bonds 209
- Have we escaped Gift with Reservation of Benfit & Pre-owned asset charges? - Gift after benefit 195