Is the minimal salary / top up with dividends actually allowed?
I'm a small freelancer accountant & have just taken on my first contractor client. He has set up a limited company and just started work on his first contract. I have explained IR35 implications to him, although the agency he got the contract through has assured he won't be caught by IR35 with this contract. He is going to submit his contract to HMRC for an opinion anyway, just to be sure.
In the meantime, he has registered as an employer & is wanting me to set up his payroll for him. Assuming that he isnt caught by IR35, is it really still acceptable to set up his remuneration as minimal salary (eg below PAYE / NIC thresholds) and pay the rest as dividend? I was under the impression that this is frowned upon by HMRC..... I also have an old work colleague who does a lot of contractor accounting & says that this is the norm - virtually all contractors pay themselves a minimal salary & top it up with dividend each month.
Am I being daft / too cautious to advise that my client doesnt do this, or is is perfectly acceptable to HMRC for someone to pay salary so that it just falls below PAYE / NIC threshold, then declare legal dividends (with all accompanying paperwork) each month?
Is it advisable to pay below PAYE / NIC threshold but ABOVE the LEL so as to trigger pension credits?
Any advice much appreciated.....
- Share capital netted off against lossess 202 3
- Unhappy client over fees 426 12
- Letter saying client is IR35 compliant 918 11
- Two sole traders working at same shop 198 2
- how do I find out if a building has VAT Option to Tax in place? 263 6
- IR35 mechanics 100 1
- CGT - contract conditional? 197 3
- Eligibility to FRS VAT 114 1
- Foreign Dividends: UK tax credit 178 3
- Auto enrolment pension scheme set up 535 11
- NI PAYE working out from net amount 409 18
- Company Van - Classic vehicle 171 3
- VAT dergistration confirmation? 317 5
- Auto Enrolment Through Nest 431 5
- RTI late filing - what is best to do now? 308 3
- PPR - which reliefs are available 327 5
- IHT nil band transfer 315 7
- Capitalising Development and Research and Development Tax Credits 131 1
- SA1 moan 253 1
- Seafarers Earnings Deduction 268 3
- NHS finance professionals 770
- Foreign Pension Contribution 455
- Pre Season Invoice dated September how do you treat the VAT as not due until May 16 447
- SWAT AML v Anti Money Laundering Compliance Plus (AMLCP) 387
- Management reporting dashboards and cloud accounting 352
- Does pension term assurance count for unused relief purposes? 338
- Incorporating doctors 323
- IFA income recognition & reporting 273
- Form P55 in year tax repayment claim for non-resident 249
- Are subsistence claims firmly attached to the 24 month rule ? 234