Is the minimal salary / top up with dividends actually allowed?
I'm a small freelancer accountant & have just taken on my first contractor client. He has set up a limited company and just started work on his first contract. I have explained IR35 implications to him, although the agency he got the contract through has assured he won't be caught by IR35 with this contract. He is going to submit his contract to HMRC for an opinion anyway, just to be sure.
In the meantime, he has registered as an employer & is wanting me to set up his payroll for him. Assuming that he isnt caught by IR35, is it really still acceptable to set up his remuneration as minimal salary (eg below PAYE / NIC thresholds) and pay the rest as dividend? I was under the impression that this is frowned upon by HMRC..... I also have an old work colleague who does a lot of contractor accounting & says that this is the norm - virtually all contractors pay themselves a minimal salary & top it up with dividend each month.
Am I being daft / too cautious to advise that my client doesnt do this, or is is perfectly acceptable to HMRC for someone to pay salary so that it just falls below PAYE / NIC threshold, then declare legal dividends (with all accompanying paperwork) each month?
Is it advisable to pay below PAYE / NIC threshold but ABOVE the LEL so as to trigger pension credits?
Any advice much appreciated.....
- CIMA at the age of 35?? 374 6
- Land Rover Discovery 3.0 SDV6 255 Comm Auto 2 seat 176 5
- New Employers Helpline 113 2
- Setting up PAYE scheme without UTR 207 5
- Overlap relief 712 19
- HMRC & daft penalty 2,258 17
- Budget 2015 - take two 169 3
- CIS Contractor has not issued tax deduction certificate to client 174 4
- VAT Query 160 2
- Sacked my first client 614 14
- Do you have to declare business expenditure on a personal credit card on your P11D? 398 9
- Accounts note disclosure - Directors 212 4
- CIS. Why is it so complicated? 2,254 24
- Share transfer question 251 9
- Director needs to withdraw 45k lump sum from company 610 11
- Trades and deadlines 131 3
- How to pay national insurance 646 18
- New Website Look 1,071 29
- Accounting for buying off bank 261 11
- Indemnity question re IR35? 225 5
- Has anyone been affected by the RBS payment breakdown? 424
- Straight line write off of Purchase Goodwill ??? 418
- WIP Software 285
- FRS 102 compliant illustrative accounts for an insurance company 283
- CGT, PPR and transfer of equity to spouse. 218
- No payroll scheme in place 217
- Software recommendations 195
- Do subcontractors on work for residential (student accomodation) construction 195
- Is there anything wrong with this? 188
- Free project management software with Gantt charts, preferably on-line 183