Is the minimal salary / top up with dividends actually allowed?
I'm a small freelancer accountant & have just taken on my first contractor client. He has set up a limited company and just started work on his first contract. I have explained IR35 implications to him, although the agency he got the contract through has assured he won't be caught by IR35 with this contract. He is going to submit his contract to HMRC for an opinion anyway, just to be sure.
In the meantime, he has registered as an employer & is wanting me to set up his payroll for him. Assuming that he isnt caught by IR35, is it really still acceptable to set up his remuneration as minimal salary (eg below PAYE / NIC thresholds) and pay the rest as dividend? I was under the impression that this is frowned upon by HMRC..... I also have an old work colleague who does a lot of contractor accounting & says that this is the norm - virtually all contractors pay themselves a minimal salary & top it up with dividend each month.
Am I being daft / too cautious to advise that my client doesnt do this, or is is perfectly acceptable to HMRC for someone to pay salary so that it just falls below PAYE / NIC threshold, then declare legal dividends (with all accompanying paperwork) each month?
Is it advisable to pay below PAYE / NIC threshold but ABOVE the LEL so as to trigger pension credits?
Any advice much appreciated.....
- Accountant won't release working papers 2,391 40
- Self Assessment Software 650 21
- VAT Direct Debit 287 5
- Share capital - death of a shareholder 413 13
- Client tied in to accountant. Unfair contract? 220 6
- S445 tax V's new dividend tax 363 7
- Self-assessment statistics 2,324 55
- Director started half way through the year no previous income. Pro rate NI 138 11
- OneNote is fantastic 312 10
- Owning overseas property 164 1
- Legal structure of a group of friends producing a free newspaper 345 7
- Fees to charge for Auto enrolment Pension for small Employers 268 3
- What's happened to Smith's Taxation 261 1
- Expedia say that they can't give me a VAT invoice 669 13
- Auto enrolment confusion 1,126 21
- Importing Sage Data and Year End 103 1
- PPR on a development? 231 4
- PAYE – Directors NI 374 7
- Do I walk away from these accounts? 917 19
- Private Residence Relief 1,797 15
- Self employed and HMRC Worldwide Subsistence Rates 638
- VAT on Export Outside EU and Conditional Sale 397
- Acrobat Checkbox Help for New 64-8 395
- Property letting & CAs 382
- Interest paid - do new rules affect Tax Credits? 376
- 2015 tax year end 375
- FCA regulated company in a small group 336
- MLR and benefitting from the disclosure 230
- Market Invoice (P2P invoice discounting) tax treatment 227
- Self employed consultant working in Ireland 216