Is the minimal salary / top up with dividends actually allowed?
I'm a small freelancer accountant & have just taken on my first contractor client. He has set up a limited company and just started work on his first contract. I have explained IR35 implications to him, although the agency he got the contract through has assured he won't be caught by IR35 with this contract. He is going to submit his contract to HMRC for an opinion anyway, just to be sure.
In the meantime, he has registered as an employer & is wanting me to set up his payroll for him. Assuming that he isnt caught by IR35, is it really still acceptable to set up his remuneration as minimal salary (eg below PAYE / NIC thresholds) and pay the rest as dividend? I was under the impression that this is frowned upon by HMRC..... I also have an old work colleague who does a lot of contractor accounting & says that this is the norm - virtually all contractors pay themselves a minimal salary & top it up with dividend each month.
Am I being daft / too cautious to advise that my client doesnt do this, or is is perfectly acceptable to HMRC for someone to pay salary so that it just falls below PAYE / NIC threshold, then declare legal dividends (with all accompanying paperwork) each month?
Is it advisable to pay below PAYE / NIC threshold but ABOVE the LEL so as to trigger pension credits?
Any advice much appreciated.....
- are receipts needed? 86 3
- Company overdue but wants to be struck off 492 16
- sole trader - operating under cis 173 4
- Claiming VAT and missing receipts 114 7
- Limited Company - Personal Bank Account 2,760 61
- Paint Manufacturer Flat Rate Scheme 371 19
- missing 867 19
- Partnership merger 76 1
- A change from the old Q v NQ debate 698 25
- Self-employed b/f losses 95 2
- Know it alls (who don't) 818 19
- VAT on motor expenses 991 36
- Incorporation with pending court case 168 3
- Reposted question 144 2
- VAT reports on trade debtors and trade creditors 261 7
- Subby expenses subject to tax & NI? 280 1
- Sage Payroll with 'employees' not having tax or NI deducted 196 3
- Interest Free Loan - Salay Sacrifice? 154 3
- Cleaners wages at small church -PAYE or self employed ? 541 11
- Machine games duty in quickbooks 106 3
- Skandia using wrong address 1,567
- Nil Rate Band Trust - index linked debt by way of charge over property 867
- International interest certificate 478
- NOVA 335
- Can Limited Company Buy Share of Rental Property? 245
- Management expenses for investment company 226
- Bonus Bonds 221
- Have we escaped Gift with Reservation of Benfit & Pre-owned asset charges? - Gift after benefit 214
- Help with tax codes on Sage 167
- Capital reduction 158