Is the minimal salary / top up with dividends actually allowed?
I'm a small freelancer accountant & have just taken on my first contractor client. He has set up a limited company and just started work on his first contract. I have explained IR35 implications to him, although the agency he got the contract through has assured he won't be caught by IR35 with this contract. He is going to submit his contract to HMRC for an opinion anyway, just to be sure.
In the meantime, he has registered as an employer & is wanting me to set up his payroll for him. Assuming that he isnt caught by IR35, is it really still acceptable to set up his remuneration as minimal salary (eg below PAYE / NIC thresholds) and pay the rest as dividend? I was under the impression that this is frowned upon by HMRC..... I also have an old work colleague who does a lot of contractor accounting & says that this is the norm - virtually all contractors pay themselves a minimal salary & top it up with dividend each month.
Am I being daft / too cautious to advise that my client doesnt do this, or is is perfectly acceptable to HMRC for someone to pay salary so that it just falls below PAYE / NIC threshold, then declare legal dividends (with all accompanying paperwork) each month?
Is it advisable to pay below PAYE / NIC threshold but ABOVE the LEL so as to trigger pension credits?
Any advice much appreciated.....
- BrightPay 588 18
- Classic cars investment 222 7
- Reversing out RTI 19 2
- Are Court and tribunal Judges honest/commit fruad ? 181 3
- Client charged VAT by US supplier 303 7
- What are CIS subcontractor clients worth to you ? 284 7
- Sage instant bank rec - is it possible to clear past transactions and reconcile from a given month? 252 5
- New Company - Corp Tax Period 253 9
- Abandoning accountancy membership in order to operate as a sole trader 799 21
- Fees for dealing with auto-enrolment 227 2
- H&W company 184 3
- VAT on sale of Vehicle 153 3
- tax teatment of index linked mortgage repayment 161 2
- Gift or Capital Gain? 267 7
- How much?? (ACCA rules on practice insurance) 110 1
- Does anyone use a cloud based payroll software 790 32
- VAT silly question 2,386 56
- Are sheepdog winnings taxable? 1,081 10
- Federation Accounts 362 10
- SA302s - Lenders to accept non hmrc copies 542 8
- Benchmarking 488
- Possible Partnership? 430
- Lunatics in charge of the asylum - Bluestone 407
- Tax and accounting treatment on long lease granted from freehold 407
- Old Books for a 'NON' Client 348
- Purchase of property freehold - capitalisation of costs 207
- Growing Limited Company concerned about assets if something goes wrong 204
- Clubs and Taxable Income 189
- Income tax on foreign dividends 188
- Subsistence and hotel expenses 183