Is the minimal salary / top up with dividends actually allowed?
I'm a small freelancer accountant & have just taken on my first contractor client. He has set up a limited company and just started work on his first contract. I have explained IR35 implications to him, although the agency he got the contract through has assured he won't be caught by IR35 with this contract. He is going to submit his contract to HMRC for an opinion anyway, just to be sure.
In the meantime, he has registered as an employer & is wanting me to set up his payroll for him. Assuming that he isnt caught by IR35, is it really still acceptable to set up his remuneration as minimal salary (eg below PAYE / NIC thresholds) and pay the rest as dividend? I was under the impression that this is frowned upon by HMRC..... I also have an old work colleague who does a lot of contractor accounting & says that this is the norm - virtually all contractors pay themselves a minimal salary & top it up with dividend each month.
Am I being daft / too cautious to advise that my client doesnt do this, or is is perfectly acceptable to HMRC for someone to pay salary so that it just falls below PAYE / NIC threshold, then declare legal dividends (with all accompanying paperwork) each month?
Is it advisable to pay below PAYE / NIC threshold but ABOVE the LEL so as to trigger pension credits?
Any advice much appreciated.....
- Payroll Software Recommendations 221 7
- Received a CIS invoice 217 5
- P60 Plain Paper from Sage Payroll 161 6
- How to print invoice payment history Sage 50 Pro 22 1
- Auto-enrolment - Fees 395 5
- Anyone done ATT? 202 5
- Moving from Moneysoft to another payroll product 302 4
- Warranties - Fixed Assets - depreciation 66 1
- Accounting for software development costs 230 2
- Increasing the personal allowance: A top priority? 1,627 54
- Bereavment payment 331 4
- VAT invoice 166 4
- Fee protection 1,057 23
- indexation factors 71 2
- How to prove income for a mortgage if you have no SA302s 1,604 13
- LLP Salaried Partners 129 1
- claim fees with out without VAT? 129 2
- Vat on motor repairs 135 3
- saturday staff 344 3
- Free accounts system for small business? 257 5
- Xtuple 575
- Qtac payroll for bureau 403
- Confused - Professional Association a Mutual trader, or not? 350
- Domain name sale and limited company 249
- Italian friend wants to set up a UK company to reduce taxes 238
- Director legal fees in loose connection to the company 221
- Tax on damages received 201
- Multiple bodies and practicing certificates 194
- Temporary non residence and CGT on non-UK asset 162
- Accounts consolidation spreadsheet 159