Is the minimal salary / top up with dividends actually allowed?
I'm a small freelancer accountant & have just taken on my first contractor client. He has set up a limited company and just started work on his first contract. I have explained IR35 implications to him, although the agency he got the contract through has assured he won't be caught by IR35 with this contract. He is going to submit his contract to HMRC for an opinion anyway, just to be sure.
In the meantime, he has registered as an employer & is wanting me to set up his payroll for him. Assuming that he isnt caught by IR35, is it really still acceptable to set up his remuneration as minimal salary (eg below PAYE / NIC thresholds) and pay the rest as dividend? I was under the impression that this is frowned upon by HMRC..... I also have an old work colleague who does a lot of contractor accounting & says that this is the norm - virtually all contractors pay themselves a minimal salary & top it up with dividend each month.
Am I being daft / too cautious to advise that my client doesnt do this, or is is perfectly acceptable to HMRC for someone to pay salary so that it just falls below PAYE / NIC threshold, then declare legal dividends (with all accompanying paperwork) each month?
Is it advisable to pay below PAYE / NIC threshold but ABOVE the LEL so as to trigger pension credits?
Any advice much appreciated.....
- Taxfiler - SA100 - More efficient? 263 5
- See you all on the other side 467 6
- 12Pay 207 2
- dividends 250 2
- R&D 187 1
- Quarterly Reporting - The Logistics 1,034 17
- Auto enrolment contribution rates 331 3
- How long are you waiting for appeal reply 237 4
- Borrowing money to loan to company 177 1
- Mother as Guarantor for Son's mortgage 425 5
- Seeking a tax case 445 9
- When do we qualify for state pension? 314 4
- Companies house strike off 260 3
- Tax treatment of alterations to property 224 2
- Moving to the cloud 658 9
- Iris open space/doc exchange for SATRs 179 2
- How much to charge for payroll? 788 16
- Unincorporated charity transfer to CIO 166 4
- BTC vs Digita 1,014 29
- Has anyone tried calling HMRC to get tax on dividends put in code? 372 4
- HMRC Joint Filing 530
- Capital Contribution towards a company car 400
- Capital Reduction & Impact on EIS Shares 357
- IRIS and FRS 102 333
- Capitalising Finance Lease 297
- USA help 295
- National Minimum Wage issue on Directors joining a Workplace Pension 258
- Dormant company accounts under FRS 102 254
- Capital gains on rental property 237
- Sage Coretime 220