Is the minimal salary / top up with dividends actually allowed?
I'm a small freelancer accountant & have just taken on my first contractor client. He has set up a limited company and just started work on his first contract. I have explained IR35 implications to him, although the agency he got the contract through has assured he won't be caught by IR35 with this contract. He is going to submit his contract to HMRC for an opinion anyway, just to be sure.
In the meantime, he has registered as an employer & is wanting me to set up his payroll for him. Assuming that he isnt caught by IR35, is it really still acceptable to set up his remuneration as minimal salary (eg below PAYE / NIC thresholds) and pay the rest as dividend? I was under the impression that this is frowned upon by HMRC..... I also have an old work colleague who does a lot of contractor accounting & says that this is the norm - virtually all contractors pay themselves a minimal salary & top it up with dividend each month.
Am I being daft / too cautious to advise that my client doesnt do this, or is is perfectly acceptable to HMRC for someone to pay salary so that it just falls below PAYE / NIC threshold, then declare legal dividends (with all accompanying paperwork) each month?
Is it advisable to pay below PAYE / NIC threshold but ABOVE the LEL so as to trigger pension credits?
Any advice much appreciated.....
- No presenter ID for Companies House - ixbrl 82 1
- Rectify overpaid childcare vouchers, how? 136 2
- CT600 - Credit balance in expenses? 140 6
- Can my company contibute more than 40000 to my pension in a tax year? 131 3
- Claiming VAT on car lease 406 27
- Capital Gains Tax on property with multiple uses 50 1
- Returning papers to ex-clients 571 7
- How to network with other Accountants? 651 5
- Correcting earlier year CT600s 95 2
- Freelance/Employee 619 15
- Agent Authorisation Issue 156 2
- CWF1 - is it still required?? 304 6
- Is it just me ... 228 5
- Duplicating Sales and COS but does not impacting bottom line? Legal? 271 4
- CIS registration when already registered for PAYE 98 4
- HMRC Agent Accounts - PAYE 329 10
- Taxable Benefit for Director? 214 1
- Directors exempt from AE? 1,501 18
- R&D - HMRC Manual 114 2
- Impairment in value of subsidiary - allowable? 354 14
- Chart of account segments; Balance sheet vs P&L 743
- Any knowledge of salesorder.com 404
- Could and would anyone here carry out a hot file review of some non statutory audit work please? 351
- Electric Car 287
- S222 Charge 237
- IP trans to holding company 182
- Corporation tax penalties and fines on the CT600 182
- Software to Deal with Amazon and Ebay Sales 168
- AIA 163
- Best way to convert Sage data to VT Transaction+ 154