Missing historical data and reconstructing accounts-obligations re records
A business has been left "stuck" at the moment as a former employee who had complete control of financial matters and reporting etc has just left without leaving data backups, detailed paperwork etc of the accounts for the Ltd company.
The accountants who worked with this employee are advising that they have no other papers (they produced a set of basic accounts that have been filed), but say they worked from data supplied by the employee -and they have nothing at their premises.(so I have no P&L either).
The ex-employee has been approached but he too advises that he has nothing that he can hand back. He has handed back credit cards and keys etc.
Can anyone advise me what the accountants are legally responsible to provide to this ltd company? Without a full detailed P&L, how can i reconstruct the accounts without opening balances?
There was an outstanding invoice that was being disputed between the accountant and ltd company and so neither side were being too progressive about this- but regardless should the accountants firm have a copy of the detailed P&L and some back ups of the data that was provided..or is this not applicable now that "web" accounting is here?
Any advice about the way forward would be good as I am really keen to see this business thriving again. It is fair to say that accounting/reporting matters are not the directors forte. He is good at what he is in business for !
- What font do you prefer to use for correspondence? 196 9
- Excel query 55 2
- Funding Circle experience 104 2
- Do I need to pay my accountant 1,224 13
- Payment on account penalties 73 3
- Tax on free shares 107 5
- Flat Rate Vat 14.5% and 5% reduced rate VAT 181 3
- Capital allowances on sale and puchase of business assets 111 1
- Audit 466 14
- Course costs for retraining as a barrister 383 8
- PPR relief and half hectare rule 108 3
- Buying a horse?? 394 12
- Question on HMRC past taxes (+penalties) on non-resident 181 2
- Uncomfortable with some advertising Sift takes 749 21
- PITA ex-client 229 9
- How to post Sales figures in Sage50 Accounts (we use separate Sales ledger) 243 6
- CTA and Tolley's tax handbooks 354 9
- Can I contribute to SIPP if I pay no salary/dividend from ltd company 322 5
- How to complain about HMRC 1,666 19
- New supplier 156 3
- CTA study material 800
- Anyone have clients that use Pay4Later to offer customers credit? 491
- Raiders of the Lost Tax File 452
- Employment related securities question 317
- AIM Stocks and IHT 304
- Expat pension contributions? 277
- Tax Relief for overseas employees 275
- Trust for Employee 253
- Service Charge Accountant Career Options 219
- IPP (International Pension Plan) income 157