Missing historical data and reconstructing accounts-obligations re records
A business has been left "stuck" at the moment as a former employee who had complete control of financial matters and reporting etc has just left without leaving data backups, detailed paperwork etc of the accounts for the Ltd company.
The accountants who worked with this employee are advising that they have no other papers (they produced a set of basic accounts that have been filed), but say they worked from data supplied by the employee -and they have nothing at their premises.(so I have no P&L either).
The ex-employee has been approached but he too advises that he has nothing that he can hand back. He has handed back credit cards and keys etc.
Can anyone advise me what the accountants are legally responsible to provide to this ltd company? Without a full detailed P&L, how can i reconstruct the accounts without opening balances?
There was an outstanding invoice that was being disputed between the accountant and ltd company and so neither side were being too progressive about this- but regardless should the accountants firm have a copy of the detailed P&L and some back ups of the data that was provided..or is this not applicable now that "web" accounting is here?
Any advice about the way forward would be good as I am really keen to see this business thriving again. It is fair to say that accounting/reporting matters are not the directors forte. He is good at what he is in business for !
- Limited Company - Personal Bank Account 3,729 78
- Dependant Relative 219 3
- Providing registered office address to clients 210 5
- What would you do in this situation? 307 8
- Payroll experience for beginning AAT student 187 5
- Halloween - do you celebrate it? 1,499 49
- Capital allowances anti-avoidance 421 14
- Foster Care 112 1
- Share premium or Directors Loan 791 33
- TOMS - Travel Agents 47 1
- Insurance Claim & VAT 89 1
- Interest Free Loan - Salay Sacrifice? 275 5
- Rollover relief - when does gain crystallise in this situation? 139 2
- HMRC Money Laundering Visit 583 3
- Dividend Payments 506 12
- Employed clients and expenses 896 18
- More HMRC on gov.uk 677 12
- Interest on HMRC contract settlement 211 4
- Enquiry into tax return - how co-operative would you be? 461 8
- Goodwill gesture for providing work 498 12
- Bonus Bonds 397
- Insolvency and whistle blowing 391
- Transfer of funds into recently set up company 304
- TPR imposes first penalty notice fines 265
- Husband proposes to buy the car as Director unable to acess finance 201
- Box 8 VAT Return - deposit payment 197
- Company Car Lease 172
- Finance Lease 162
- Form 42 154
- Demerger Reserve 136