Missing historical data and reconstructing accounts-obligations re records
A business has been left "stuck" at the moment as a former employee who had complete control of financial matters and reporting etc has just left without leaving data backups, detailed paperwork etc of the accounts for the Ltd company.
The accountants who worked with this employee are advising that they have no other papers (they produced a set of basic accounts that have been filed), but say they worked from data supplied by the employee -and they have nothing at their premises.(so I have no P&L either).
The ex-employee has been approached but he too advises that he has nothing that he can hand back. He has handed back credit cards and keys etc.
Can anyone advise me what the accountants are legally responsible to provide to this ltd company? Without a full detailed P&L, how can i reconstruct the accounts without opening balances?
There was an outstanding invoice that was being disputed between the accountant and ltd company and so neither side were being too progressive about this- but regardless should the accountants firm have a copy of the detailed P&L and some back ups of the data that was provided..or is this not applicable now that "web" accounting is here?
Any advice about the way forward would be good as I am really keen to see this business thriving again. It is fair to say that accounting/reporting matters are not the directors forte. He is good at what he is in business for !
- WHAT THE HECK IS GOING ON AT HMRC? 30 1
- Community awards 2014 - first category 115 4
- Suggested tips to become a better accountant? 418 12
- Dividend Waiver and Settlement Legislation 134 2
- Can you help me spot errors? 285 3
- Payment plans for clients 256 3
- CT600 245 8
- format cell to exclude decimals 305 16
- Supply of service to EU community body exempt from VAT 75 1
- Lease 123 4
- Free invoicing software 490 4
- Digita Hosted Software 394 4
- signature required 868 31
- Do most of you still use MS Office? 1,306 21
- Payroll error by client on Moneysoft 169 5
- Thin Client recomendation 219 3
- Mileage allowance payment via payroll 184 5
- VAT Office Grimsby 167 2
- Stock Valuation when a partner dies 114 2
- Inheritance Tax and the 7 Year rule for property as a gift 128 2
- Auto enrolment excuses 1,302
- Feedback on accounts production software for IFRS 850
- Add T&Cs to Sales Order in Sage 541
- Credit where credit's due....... 334
- Buying goods in US and selling them to company in US 260
- TheTax Donut 225
- Double taxation relief - same income, different individual 186
- Semi retired FCA or equivalent 170
- Director's business mileage 145
- Sole trader CPD 145