Missing historical data and reconstructing accounts-obligations re records
A business has been left "stuck" at the moment as a former employee who had complete control of financial matters and reporting etc has just left without leaving data backups, detailed paperwork etc of the accounts for the Ltd company.
The accountants who worked with this employee are advising that they have no other papers (they produced a set of basic accounts that have been filed), but say they worked from data supplied by the employee -and they have nothing at their premises.(so I have no P&L either).
The ex-employee has been approached but he too advises that he has nothing that he can hand back. He has handed back credit cards and keys etc.
Can anyone advise me what the accountants are legally responsible to provide to this ltd company? Without a full detailed P&L, how can i reconstruct the accounts without opening balances?
There was an outstanding invoice that was being disputed between the accountant and ltd company and so neither side were being too progressive about this- but regardless should the accountants firm have a copy of the detailed P&L and some back ups of the data that was provided..or is this not applicable now that "web" accounting is here?
Any advice about the way forward would be good as I am really keen to see this business thriving again. It is fair to say that accounting/reporting matters are not the directors forte. He is good at what he is in business for !
- Output tax for retailer 211 5
- HMRC Unpaid Debt Collector 326 7
- Formating cells in Excel 119 2
- PPR for non-residents after 05 Apr 2015 160 4
- What expenses to claim for painter/decorator working from home base 117 2
- Takeover of Annual PAYE scheme 166 3
- Relocation expense claim 126 1
- ICAS GPPM 84 1
- Payroll 276 7
- Buying fees 711 5
- IHT Query 449 11
- Audit and paypal balances 185 7
- Missing C79 168 5
- Tax relief for backdated pension contributions 497 16
- VAT margin scheme 277 14
- Partnership Tax Return £100 penalty-was a tax return due in this case? 327 8
- How to walk away without questions 2,768 17
- Get it off your chest 276 4
- Directors bonus 182 2
- Auto Enrolment specialist service provider 127 1
- Possible Partnership? 562
- Lunatics in charge of the asylum - Bluestone 558
- Tax and accounting treatment on long lease granted from freehold 485
- New Fangled Penalties 362
- Clubs and Taxable Income 297
- Purchase of property freehold - capitalisation of costs 281
- Loans to other companies 224
- Closed PAYE schemes and auto enrolment 217
- Lenovo – Superfish & Komodia – is your PC vulnerable 185
- Outsource Data Entry 183