Missing historical data and reconstructing accounts-obligations re records
A business has been left "stuck" at the moment as a former employee who had complete control of financial matters and reporting etc has just left without leaving data backups, detailed paperwork etc of the accounts for the Ltd company.
The accountants who worked with this employee are advising that they have no other papers (they produced a set of basic accounts that have been filed), but say they worked from data supplied by the employee -and they have nothing at their premises.(so I have no P&L either).
The ex-employee has been approached but he too advises that he has nothing that he can hand back. He has handed back credit cards and keys etc.
Can anyone advise me what the accountants are legally responsible to provide to this ltd company? Without a full detailed P&L, how can i reconstruct the accounts without opening balances?
There was an outstanding invoice that was being disputed between the accountant and ltd company and so neither side were being too progressive about this- but regardless should the accountants firm have a copy of the detailed P&L and some back ups of the data that was provided..or is this not applicable now that "web" accounting is here?
Any advice about the way forward would be good as I am really keen to see this business thriving again. It is fair to say that accounting/reporting matters are not the directors forte. He is good at what he is in business for !
- How familiar are accountants with community interest companies? 48 1
- Can I take action against my accountant for incompetence? 1,617 44
- New company - form a group? 180 3
- Small company audit 98 1
- Leaving Flat Rate Scheme for VAT 268 7
- Has anyone read the implications of the Lisbon treaty? 777 17
- CIC Company 408 2
- What are options for non CA firm 2,677 57
- Is this a scam? 781 8
- Companies Made Simple Dashboard? 138 1
- Employment allowance (again) :( 348 2
- Mortgage to buy property in limited company 254 5
- Sage valuing foreign bank balances 194 4
- PITA client 257 3
- VAT on sales net of CIS suffered 382 9
- Do I need to report this to SOCA 3,330 33
- Dividend dates 493 8
- R&D tax credit claim 229 5
- CIS Deductions 276 3
- Estate agent and VAT registration 138 1
- Property exchange - 8-year legal delay following fall-out 600
- Cancelled 349
- SAGE Payroll Data for Import to MS Dynamics AX 334
- Cancelled 286
- Have you staged yet for auto enrolment? 257
- Probiz 244
- VAT on non-profit making clubs (ECJ VS West Dorset Golf Club) 196
- Phishing emails purporting to be from CIPFA? 181
- Car leasing scheme 179
- Free-standing washing machine - unfurnished lettings 167