Missing historical data and reconstructing accounts-obligations re records
A business has been left "stuck" at the moment as a former employee who had complete control of financial matters and reporting etc has just left without leaving data backups, detailed paperwork etc of the accounts for the Ltd company.
The accountants who worked with this employee are advising that they have no other papers (they produced a set of basic accounts that have been filed), but say they worked from data supplied by the employee -and they have nothing at their premises.(so I have no P&L either).
The ex-employee has been approached but he too advises that he has nothing that he can hand back. He has handed back credit cards and keys etc.
Can anyone advise me what the accountants are legally responsible to provide to this ltd company? Without a full detailed P&L, how can i reconstruct the accounts without opening balances?
There was an outstanding invoice that was being disputed between the accountant and ltd company and so neither side were being too progressive about this- but regardless should the accountants firm have a copy of the detailed P&L and some back ups of the data that was provided..or is this not applicable now that "web" accounting is here?
Any advice about the way forward would be good as I am really keen to see this business thriving again. It is fair to say that accounting/reporting matters are not the directors forte. He is good at what he is in business for !
- Cash extraction pre-sale 93 2
- Accountex flash mob 373 11
- Child benefit 175 6
- New desktop accounting and payroll, help, please 271 8
- Thoughts on revenue recognition 80 1
- IR 35 93 2
- IT systems + software 65 2
- VAT on non-denominated postage 386 10
- ACCA UK Practising Certificate 131 2
- Moneysoft Payroll Manager Connection Problem 98 1
- Money Laundering and handover 616 4
- Getting fees, getting harder? 1,451 29
- Property sale split between years 299 10
- Capital introduction 234 6
- CIS Deductions 332 9
- Inheritance Tax Advice 250 3
- Tax on selling a sole trader business 222 8
- Final accounts - procedure 174 1
- What are the tax implications of bringing funds into the UK from abroad? 253 3
- Spousal transfer and PPR 368 10
- Services via intermediaries and new HMRC reporting requirements 645
- LIVE: Budget aftermath webinar 408
- Pensions Regulator 380
- RTI - duplicate employee record 337
- NIC contribution on unremitted income 328
- SA penalty proposals 303
- Using the correct forms 301
- How hard is it to reduce a code? 288
- Digital marketing focus group 199
- Sage Vat return box 2 197