Missing historical data and reconstructing accounts-obligations re records
A business has been left "stuck" at the moment as a former employee who had complete control of financial matters and reporting etc has just left without leaving data backups, detailed paperwork etc of the accounts for the Ltd company.
The accountants who worked with this employee are advising that they have no other papers (they produced a set of basic accounts that have been filed), but say they worked from data supplied by the employee -and they have nothing at their premises.(so I have no P&L either).
The ex-employee has been approached but he too advises that he has nothing that he can hand back. He has handed back credit cards and keys etc.
Can anyone advise me what the accountants are legally responsible to provide to this ltd company? Without a full detailed P&L, how can i reconstruct the accounts without opening balances?
There was an outstanding invoice that was being disputed between the accountant and ltd company and so neither side were being too progressive about this- but regardless should the accountants firm have a copy of the detailed P&L and some back ups of the data that was provided..or is this not applicable now that "web" accounting is here?
Any advice about the way forward would be good as I am really keen to see this business thriving again. It is fair to say that accounting/reporting matters are not the directors forte. He is good at what he is in business for !
- What do you all do in your spare time? 362 16
- Design your ideal tax department 924 21
- Auto Enrolment - Director Only Answer 1,323 15
- Does HMRC penalties apply if directors file 99 2
- VTS or VT Software ???? 88 1
- HMRC RANT!!!! 331 7
- Limited Companies, Directors Employer Registration P11D 252 10
- VT Final Accounts puts "Cost of Sales - Carriage" and "Cost of Sales - Other Costs" into "Other Costs". Is that compulsory? It seems mad. 96 2
- Scams are not always obvious 1,920 32
- So who has completed a 2015 tax return then? 150 2
- Over the VAT threshold 96 2
- Accountants website 243 3
- New client has not reported director's pay by RTI 228 3
- Letting Agents - requirement for audit of clients accounts 236 8
- Do you charge fee or % for Successful appeal against HMRC penalties? 468 19
- TaxCalc - A Return to Form 112 1
- Can software startup claim VAT refund during development? 106 5
- Online Downtime 307 3
- Do you get your clients to sign their EOY EPS submission? 216 5
- notice of consent by surrendering company group relief 205 8
- New Fangled Penalties 1,066
- Moving away from CCH software 923
- Recruitment agencies 547
- QROP pension input amounts 422
- write off loan or loan to equity swap or both 369
- HMRC BENCHMARK EXPENSES 328
- Unused Losses and Post Cessation Receipts 307
- fraud 254
- EIS relief on transferring shares to spouse 233
- Sole trade business in UK, but the owner works from EU 205