Missing historical data and reconstructing accounts-obligations re records
A business has been left "stuck" at the moment as a former employee who had complete control of financial matters and reporting etc has just left without leaving data backups, detailed paperwork etc of the accounts for the Ltd company.
The accountants who worked with this employee are advising that they have no other papers (they produced a set of basic accounts that have been filed), but say they worked from data supplied by the employee -and they have nothing at their premises.(so I have no P&L either).
The ex-employee has been approached but he too advises that he has nothing that he can hand back. He has handed back credit cards and keys etc.
Can anyone advise me what the accountants are legally responsible to provide to this ltd company? Without a full detailed P&L, how can i reconstruct the accounts without opening balances?
There was an outstanding invoice that was being disputed between the accountant and ltd company and so neither side were being too progressive about this- but regardless should the accountants firm have a copy of the detailed P&L and some back ups of the data that was provided..or is this not applicable now that "web" accounting is here?
Any advice about the way forward would be good as I am really keen to see this business thriving again. It is fair to say that accounting/reporting matters are not the directors forte. He is good at what he is in business for !
- Flat rate vat 291 3
- RTI Annual Scheme Query 229 6
- Rental property company 171 2
- Can Excel sheets be imported into Digita Accounts Production Posting Sheets? 160 2
- PAYE coding notice - deliberate misstatement 410 12
- How quickly do you turn around y/e accounts? 446 9
- Starting up in practice - safety net 348 8
- What password safe app does anyone recommend? 1,467 27
- Small employers paying people when sick thanks alot! 3,194 35
- Director's current account - fuel costs and expenses 388 11
- How to avoid PAYE Registeration 299 4
- Payroo Employer allowance query 281 8
- Enforcing A CCJ 401 7
- RTI 'Late Filing' & paying employees in arrears 212 1
- Reporting no P11d due when PAYE scheme closed by HMRC 5Apr2013 216 2
- Comapny valuation qualifications 163 2
- Ex Client from over 3 years ago 545 5
- Director's tax return 424 8
- Sale of assets - availability of AIA to the purchaser 200 3
- Coming in from the cold 424 3
- Residential Property Purchase Above £750K 832
- Using Sage with Sofa Categories 575
- Does anyone have an unwanted ICAEW wooden plaque? 446
- Goods shipped inter EU and VAT Reporting 323
- Free Tax Legislation? 301
- Director Loan account operation 283
- Non-Resident Director - UK Tax Position? 269
- transferring simply accounting 2010 from xp to windows 7 262
- Sage 200 and Access Dimensions reviews 244
- Paye procedures for CVA 183