Missing historical data and reconstructing accounts-obligations re records
A business has been left "stuck" at the moment as a former employee who had complete control of financial matters and reporting etc has just left without leaving data backups, detailed paperwork etc of the accounts for the Ltd company.
The accountants who worked with this employee are advising that they have no other papers (they produced a set of basic accounts that have been filed), but say they worked from data supplied by the employee -and they have nothing at their premises.(so I have no P&L either).
The ex-employee has been approached but he too advises that he has nothing that he can hand back. He has handed back credit cards and keys etc.
Can anyone advise me what the accountants are legally responsible to provide to this ltd company? Without a full detailed P&L, how can i reconstruct the accounts without opening balances?
There was an outstanding invoice that was being disputed between the accountant and ltd company and so neither side were being too progressive about this- but regardless should the accountants firm have a copy of the detailed P&L and some back ups of the data that was provided..or is this not applicable now that "web" accounting is here?
Any advice about the way forward would be good as I am really keen to see this business thriving again. It is fair to say that accounting/reporting matters are not the directors forte. He is good at what he is in business for !
- Does anyone use quotation software? 537 7
- help needed with rti paye please 97 3
- Cash injection by shareholder 819 9
- Director selling assets to the company that were given to her 386 11
- Any Scottish members out there? 13,577 503
- Can't read my handwriting 783 19
- Undeclared rental income 381 7
- Home Use Costs in Company Accounts ? 311 7
- Sick pay 229 6
- Directors self assessment 139 2
- Employer's Helpline 210 1
- Employment Allowance Incorrectly Claimed for Domestic Payroll 105 2
- Commercial rental property - still Schedule A? 187 1
- Now Scotland has voted "No", when does England get to vote? 1,752 70
- Travel and Subsistence expenses while abroad 1,089 8
- How to prove to HMRC that you was not self employed? 954 27
- Penalties for an amended p35 (2012/13) 133 2
- 2 sole traders merging to become a limited company what do they need? 311 10
- Unfurnished Lettings Expenditure 251 6
- Capital Gains Tax on title transfer 448 20
- Raiders of the Lost Tax File 1,410
- Chartered Accountant in County Down N.Ireland 539
- National Insurance 438
- Non Resident 328
- Hands on experience of Digita 258
- Best way to take money from a business if you have unlimited EIS allowances? 246
- Does anyone use PS Financials accounting software out there? 164
- Umbrella pay services 143
- VAT on ESS via Apple, Google, Nokia - 122
- EPS Analysis - Change to EURO 121