Missing historical data and reconstructing accounts-obligations re records
A business has been left "stuck" at the moment as a former employee who had complete control of financial matters and reporting etc has just left without leaving data backups, detailed paperwork etc of the accounts for the Ltd company.
The accountants who worked with this employee are advising that they have no other papers (they produced a set of basic accounts that have been filed), but say they worked from data supplied by the employee -and they have nothing at their premises.(so I have no P&L either).
The ex-employee has been approached but he too advises that he has nothing that he can hand back. He has handed back credit cards and keys etc.
Can anyone advise me what the accountants are legally responsible to provide to this ltd company? Without a full detailed P&L, how can i reconstruct the accounts without opening balances?
There was an outstanding invoice that was being disputed between the accountant and ltd company and so neither side were being too progressive about this- but regardless should the accountants firm have a copy of the detailed P&L and some back ups of the data that was provided..or is this not applicable now that "web" accounting is here?
Any advice about the way forward would be good as I am really keen to see this business thriving again. It is fair to say that accounting/reporting matters are not the directors forte. He is good at what he is in business for !
- RTI 312 11
- Distance between Postcodes in Excel 519 10
- Am i Liable? 677 18
- Contingent Asset Disclosure 76 4
- Has anyone been told of the extra Sage Payroll fees for auto enrolment? 385 8
- Missed Student Loan Contributions 202 6
- What is wrong with HMRC? 187 2
- Playstation 4 - Allowable expense or not? 3,119 61
- ICAEW student, Dilema with client & boss 2,480 33
- Incorrect Generic non-filing notice 217 8
- Write off of former director's loan 757 11
- Employer pension contribution as part of redundancy package 73 2
- Compensation payment and child benefit 86 2
- What leverage do I have with accountants if any? 249 2
- Accommodation allowance - emergency workers 88 1
- HMRC - Generic Notification Notice 106 1
- RTI Easement Until 2016 135 2
- Altered PAYE cheque 398 8
- Does buying a block of fees qualify as goodwill 388 9
- Added years superannuation 109 3
- Desperately seeking Susan, Sam or anyone with any other name 1,268
- Experience with Islamic investor following Sharia-compliant rules? 623
- Darwinpay Partnership Assessment 414
- S464A Charge to tax: conferring benefit & BIK 323
- Quirky thread of the year: Community Awards 236
- Alphabet shares 208
- Agent fees to sell business 201
- ACCA continuity of practice arrangement needed 198
- Office recharges 159
- Tax position on lease extension 152