Missing historical data and reconstructing accounts-obligations re records
A business has been left "stuck" at the moment as a former employee who had complete control of financial matters and reporting etc has just left without leaving data backups, detailed paperwork etc of the accounts for the Ltd company.
The accountants who worked with this employee are advising that they have no other papers (they produced a set of basic accounts that have been filed), but say they worked from data supplied by the employee -and they have nothing at their premises.(so I have no P&L either).
The ex-employee has been approached but he too advises that he has nothing that he can hand back. He has handed back credit cards and keys etc.
Can anyone advise me what the accountants are legally responsible to provide to this ltd company? Without a full detailed P&L, how can i reconstruct the accounts without opening balances?
There was an outstanding invoice that was being disputed between the accountant and ltd company and so neither side were being too progressive about this- but regardless should the accountants firm have a copy of the detailed P&L and some back ups of the data that was provided..or is this not applicable now that "web" accounting is here?
Any advice about the way forward would be good as I am really keen to see this business thriving again. It is fair to say that accounting/reporting matters are not the directors forte. He is good at what he is in business for !
- Using a Business broker to sell a clients Company.....??? 178 6
- IRIS Practice Management 177 3
- Pre- trading Expenses 143 2
- Payment for goods received on last day of quarter but refunded the next - what options are open here? 366 16
- Mortgage Interest and rental income 51 1
- Charities sorp - portfolio management fees 177 5
- If an invoice is sent and paid does a contract exist 309 12
- Need qualification back due to clients' banks needing my references 386 10
- ideas for a bonus scheme for accountants 110 1
- Easy way to not pay tax 222 6
- Incorporation - any tax advantage? 349 8
- VAT on Microsoft Office Accounting Professional 2009 201 2
- Builder using cash labour 153 1
- Surcharges on very late VAT 229 3
- Should I pass on my HMRC login 458 11
- Was I rude 856 20
- Paint Manufacturer Flat Rate Scheme 222 8
- IRIS Open Books problem 300 1
- Company overdue but wants to be struck off 228 6
- Non-compete agreement 201 1
- Skandia using wrong address 1,489
- Nil Rate Band Trust - index linked debt by way of charge over property 827
- International interest certificate 448
- Stamp Duty on share for share exchange 423
- Sale of business 397
- NOVA 302
- farming-related R & D tax relief claims 213
- Bonus Bonds 181
- Management expenses for investment company 178
- Can Limited Company Buy Share of Rental Property? 172