Missing historical data and reconstructing accounts-obligations re records
A business has been left "stuck" at the moment as a former employee who had complete control of financial matters and reporting etc has just left without leaving data backups, detailed paperwork etc of the accounts for the Ltd company.
The accountants who worked with this employee are advising that they have no other papers (they produced a set of basic accounts that have been filed), but say they worked from data supplied by the employee -and they have nothing at their premises.(so I have no P&L either).
The ex-employee has been approached but he too advises that he has nothing that he can hand back. He has handed back credit cards and keys etc.
Can anyone advise me what the accountants are legally responsible to provide to this ltd company? Without a full detailed P&L, how can i reconstruct the accounts without opening balances?
There was an outstanding invoice that was being disputed between the accountant and ltd company and so neither side were being too progressive about this- but regardless should the accountants firm have a copy of the detailed P&L and some back ups of the data that was provided..or is this not applicable now that "web" accounting is here?
Any advice about the way forward would be good as I am really keen to see this business thriving again. It is fair to say that accounting/reporting matters are not the directors forte. He is good at what he is in business for !
- How quickly do you turn around y/e accounts? 2,134 16
- Sage 200 and Access Dimensions reviews 291 1
- VAT Option to tax 462 17
- Brain freeze - loss on disposal of company car 157 6
- Capital allowance vehicle exchange 189 7
- S162 and Capital Allowances 125 2
- Director leaving in month 1 131 2
- Ex Gratia payments 72 1
- HMRC chasing club for unpaid fees 263 3
- Unaudited accounts and an accountant’s certificate of confirmation 155 4
- Selling assets to yourself ? 186 3
- 24 Month Rule - New Employer 181 3
- Director's remuneration accrual 171 4
- IHT - clawback of BPR 46 1
- EIS - connection through employment 93 2
- HMRC Dispensation - How long does it last for? 243 3
- Electronically supplied services - B2B 56 1
- CIS and Close Company 97 2
- Correct tax & VAT treatment of local overnight expenses 228 4
- Secondment expenses 155 3
- Residential Property Purchase Above £750K 909
- Using Sage with Sofa Categories 640
- Free Tax Legislation? 404
- Director Loan account operation 396
- Understanding the implications of January 2015 VAT changes for downloads on threshold for VAT registration 335
- transferring simply accounting 2010 from xp to windows 7 318
- rent-a-room allowance for part of the year 224
- Paye procedures for CVA 219
- HMRC Second Income Campaign - not so much a question as heads up 184
- Pension Fixed Protection 161