Missing historical data and reconstructing accounts-obligations re records
A business has been left "stuck" at the moment as a former employee who had complete control of financial matters and reporting etc has just left without leaving data backups, detailed paperwork etc of the accounts for the Ltd company.
The accountants who worked with this employee are advising that they have no other papers (they produced a set of basic accounts that have been filed), but say they worked from data supplied by the employee -and they have nothing at their premises.(so I have no P&L either).
The ex-employee has been approached but he too advises that he has nothing that he can hand back. He has handed back credit cards and keys etc.
Can anyone advise me what the accountants are legally responsible to provide to this ltd company? Without a full detailed P&L, how can i reconstruct the accounts without opening balances?
There was an outstanding invoice that was being disputed between the accountant and ltd company and so neither side were being too progressive about this- but regardless should the accountants firm have a copy of the detailed P&L and some back ups of the data that was provided..or is this not applicable now that "web" accounting is here?
Any advice about the way forward would be good as I am really keen to see this business thriving again. It is fair to say that accounting/reporting matters are not the directors forte. He is good at what he is in business for !
- Do you have to declare business expenditure on a personal credit card on your P11D? 994 12
- Company assets 257 8
- Director resignation 692 21
- s75 ICTA88 Management expenses - idiots guide 1,761 30
- Additional information attached to accounts 86 1
- CIS Only Scheme 60 1
- Auto-enrolment - fact or fiction? 432 6
- No payroll scheme in place 331 1
- Xero Training 377 3
- SA Penalty 215 1
- VAT on Part Contribution towards Safety Boots 229 13
- Debtor weighting by sales 67 1
- The stupidity continues 2,793 103
- Company oversea and VAT 170 7
- Am I too soft? 1,059 14
- looking for a practice consultant 374 4
- Sample wording for fair usage terms 183 2
- Landlord probs - IHT, CGT and cashflow 439 11
- Small Business Payroll 190 7
- RTI - are HMRC picking any numbers? 235 2
- Straight line write off of Purchase Goodwill ??? 498
- Has anyone been affected by the RBS payment breakdown? 474
- Is there anything wrong with this? 274
- Do subcontractors on work for residential (student accomodation) construction 263
- Uncommercial property business 235
- Apple Employees - RSU vesting and tax witheld 202
- Registering online CWF1 179
- Accrued income scheme 176
- VAT - registration needed? 171
- Zoho software in small accounting and bookkeeping practice 170