Missing historical data and reconstructing accounts-obligations re records
A business has been left "stuck" at the moment as a former employee who had complete control of financial matters and reporting etc has just left without leaving data backups, detailed paperwork etc of the accounts for the Ltd company.
The accountants who worked with this employee are advising that they have no other papers (they produced a set of basic accounts that have been filed), but say they worked from data supplied by the employee -and they have nothing at their premises.(so I have no P&L either).
The ex-employee has been approached but he too advises that he has nothing that he can hand back. He has handed back credit cards and keys etc.
Can anyone advise me what the accountants are legally responsible to provide to this ltd company? Without a full detailed P&L, how can i reconstruct the accounts without opening balances?
There was an outstanding invoice that was being disputed between the accountant and ltd company and so neither side were being too progressive about this- but regardless should the accountants firm have a copy of the detailed P&L and some back ups of the data that was provided..or is this not applicable now that "web" accounting is here?
Any advice about the way forward would be good as I am really keen to see this business thriving again. It is fair to say that accounting/reporting matters are not the directors forte. He is good at what he is in business for !
- Cash basis 648 20
- Desperate IFAs and Auto-enrolment Scare stories 335 17
- CIMA accountant wants to start consultancy 489 6
- Income recognition - release of product from a factory 340 11
- What are the options for writing off a Directors Credit balance 107 2
- payroll software 480 9
- Partnership registered in error. No activities with view to profit. 296 8
- Fee base v staff ratio 532 7
- 1 investor and 1 director 50% shareholding each advice please 271 13
- Posting pension salary sacrifice journal 84 1
- Complicated Company car purchase 275 3
- Statutory sick pay 382 5
- client threatening legal action 2,201 30
- Recomendations for a purchase order management book please? 162 2
- Finding a Company UTR for a newly formed company 230 1
- Instant CPD offer 334 3
- Income from rent charged to business 210 2
- Dividend in specie 402 9
- Ltd Company Buying Own Shares and Transferring Assets 199 3
- Retail vat schemes for a restaurant 158 1
- Skandia using wrong address 590
- FHL, period of grace and Entrepreneur's relief 323
- Does anyone use PS Financials accounting software out there? 320
- Employee rewards 300
- Gift of reversion and lease into trust by two different people - later PPR 265
- EPS Analysis - Change to EURO 236
- Etax Australian 197
- LLP in Construction Industry 159
- Selling On Amazon & Calculatign Prices/Vat 140
- Interest and late payment charges HMRC 137