Missing historical data and reconstructing accounts-obligations re records
A business has been left "stuck" at the moment as a former employee who had complete control of financial matters and reporting etc has just left without leaving data backups, detailed paperwork etc of the accounts for the Ltd company.
The accountants who worked with this employee are advising that they have no other papers (they produced a set of basic accounts that have been filed), but say they worked from data supplied by the employee -and they have nothing at their premises.(so I have no P&L either).
The ex-employee has been approached but he too advises that he has nothing that he can hand back. He has handed back credit cards and keys etc.
Can anyone advise me what the accountants are legally responsible to provide to this ltd company? Without a full detailed P&L, how can i reconstruct the accounts without opening balances?
There was an outstanding invoice that was being disputed between the accountant and ltd company and so neither side were being too progressive about this- but regardless should the accountants firm have a copy of the detailed P&L and some back ups of the data that was provided..or is this not applicable now that "web" accounting is here?
Any advice about the way forward would be good as I am really keen to see this business thriving again. It is fair to say that accounting/reporting matters are not the directors forte. He is good at what he is in business for !
- Flat rate Vat Scheme & Vat on wholesale production of Cakes and other deserts 214 9
- VAT Invoice 167 5
- Error in past Corporate tax return 368 6
- General tax book with planning 170 2
- Limited Company - Personal Bank Account 3,240 69
- 2013/14 failure to submit end of year submission 292 11
- Gift of property & improvements 125 2
- Company overdue but wants to be struck off 811 32
- IHT and Swiss Property 134 1
- Sale of house with planning permission - tax free? 232 3
- Vat code for journal entries of director's expenses 161 2
- Claiming VAT and missing receipts 467 10
- HMRC overreaching its powers -again against a small surveying firm? 385 8
- Help with tax codes on Sage 264 1
- Letting relief on property transferred to a spouse 196 6
- VAT code for invoice from not VAT registered company 260 4
- Accounting for a finance lease 170 4
- SA302's anyone?? 546 16
- A change from the old Q v NQ debate 1,653 41
- Renting for military reasons 200 2
- Skandia using wrong address 1,621
- Nil Rate Band Trust - index linked debt by way of charge over property 901
- International interest certificate 512
- NOVA 368
- Have we escaped Gift with Reservation of Benfit & Pre-owned asset charges? - Gift after benefit 299
- Management expenses for investment company 264
- Bonus Bonds 262
- Entertainer withholding tax in Australia 175
- tax on apprenticeship income 174
- P11D benefit received by widow 153