Missing historical data and reconstructing accounts-obligations re records
A business has been left "stuck" at the moment as a former employee who had complete control of financial matters and reporting etc has just left without leaving data backups, detailed paperwork etc of the accounts for the Ltd company.
The accountants who worked with this employee are advising that they have no other papers (they produced a set of basic accounts that have been filed), but say they worked from data supplied by the employee -and they have nothing at their premises.(so I have no P&L either).
The ex-employee has been approached but he too advises that he has nothing that he can hand back. He has handed back credit cards and keys etc.
Can anyone advise me what the accountants are legally responsible to provide to this ltd company? Without a full detailed P&L, how can i reconstruct the accounts without opening balances?
There was an outstanding invoice that was being disputed between the accountant and ltd company and so neither side were being too progressive about this- but regardless should the accountants firm have a copy of the detailed P&L and some back ups of the data that was provided..or is this not applicable now that "web" accounting is here?
Any advice about the way forward would be good as I am really keen to see this business thriving again. It is fair to say that accounting/reporting matters are not the directors forte. He is good at what he is in business for !
- Anyone else still working this week? 431 14
- When to provide S419 tax in the accounts 91 4
- Sole Trader change of accounting date 109 1
- How much does the company pay 774 33
- Proof of identification 63 1
- Which tax returns can I submit? 94 1
- Accounting for cash put into Ltd 289 5
- Using home as clients registered address 195 4
- Childcare vouchers 362 8
- Is this a qualifying loan for interest deductions? 77 2
- New Enterprise Allowance 79 1
- VAT Notice 700/64 - claiming VAT on motor repairs 63 1
- two business from one premises 180 3
- VAT transfer on going concern on incorporation 52 1
- SELLING A PROPERTY at LOSS/PROFIT - CAP GAINS ALLOWANCE 240 4
- HMRC property income enquiry 416 9
- 10 Worst xmas presents for an accountant 355 4
- Merry Christmas 134 2
- THEATRE SHOW - HIRE - VAT PAYABLE ON TICKET SALES 95 3
- New Incorporations - ERTNAC hoax - anyone else seen this? 1,104 12
- Accounting referance change & deficient accounts. 507
- corporate hierarchy 472
- Advice - 326
- Anyone had HMRC refusing to act on EPS database glitch? 275
- WWOOFers 265
- The booking.com con 248
- Art Gallery - Splitting a property between business and personal use 246
- Cocaine anyone? 232
- Tax liabilities in USA for warehoused products 221
- UK State pension paid in NZ 177