Is the mortgage interest allowable if.....
Mr & Mrs buy a house and move into it.
Mrs dies and Mr doesn't want to live there anymore so he buys another house and lets out the first house.
When he does this he takes out a mortgage which is secured on the second house.
So whilst the mortgage is actually used to buy house two it is raised (partly) in order to enable house one to be let.
Can he claim the interst on this mortgage against the rent on the first house?
If not, would he be able to if the mortgage was secured on the first house?
- Need help with How much or do I charge to much 195 4
- Allowable expenses on retal property 146 2
- Identity Checks 94 1
- Mandatory Capitalisation 122 2
- Running Sage on a Mac 109 1
- Why are so many UK accountants reticent to make use of Indian outsourcing providers? 4,322 94
- HMRC CT600 TOOL 284 5
- Cash bashed (FRS) vs cash accounting (standard VAT)? 131 2
- notarising & legalising documents 176 4
- question 438 4
- Am I the only one who finds this annoying 411 11
- Income prior to company formation 217 8
- VAT on farm machinery sold 132 2
- Seeking advice: Tax on investing in a subsidiary 157 6
- Property pages or self-employed? 162 2
- Any thoughts on Capium? 426 3
- When to register or not for PAYE 462 8
- Can criminal action be a defence? 216 5
- How best to split income on a Buy To Let - married. How do you decide beneficial ownership 1,420 14
- National Living Wage: creating jobs or unemployment? 317 6
- RTI Rollback to delete incorrect data 399
- Motor Traders Assistant Bookkeeping Programme queries 290
- Tracesmart/Lexis Nexis AML software? Any opinions? 261
- Continuity of practice-ACCA 257
- French ConnectionUK 204
- Fundraising for friend - minimise tax? 192
- Recommended International mobile phone coverage and costs? 187
- Can anyone explain Indian Minimum Alternate Tax 183
- APN's 175
- Penalties for late filing of P11D forms 149