MOT tests - can someone help with VAT treatment?
Strange how so many posts start with 'a new client'. As so often happens, this one has been done no favours by his previous, erm 'bookkeeper'. I'm having to backtrack over a number of years to find when he should have registered for VAT, but the MOT test question is making it more difficult.
He is not an approved MOT centre, so has tests done elsewhere. He charges more than he pays the approved centre, so he is not an agent under VTTAXPER3900, so I don't see how he can treat the cost to him as a disbursement. However, I am reading VTTAXPER48000 incorrectly, as I find two of the VAT treatments conflict. One paragraph says that any amount charged over and above the amount paid is taxable at the standard rate. Yet the next option says that if he does not treat the exact amount that he is charged as a disbursement he must account for VAT on the full invoiced amount.
So, if he only accounts for VAT on the 'profit' under the 1st option, does that mean he has some exempt sales which lead us in to partial VAT calculations?
Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.
- Subsistence Exclusions 122 2
- CT600 263 9
- VAT Office Grimsby 195 4
- signature required 904 34
- i want to get the reserves below 25K 168 1
- Do most of you still use MS Office? 1,338 22
- Suggested tips to become a better accountant? 454 13
- Community awards 2014 - first category 161 6
- Can you help me spot errors? 318 4
- format cell to exclude decimals 325 17
- WHAT THE HECK IS GOING ON AT HMRC? 113 2
- Form VAT 600 FRS 84 1
- Dividend Waiver and Settlement Legislation 145 2
- Payment plans for clients 273 3
- Supply of service to EU community body exempt from VAT 91 1
- Lease 141 4
- Free invoicing software 504 4
- Digita Hosted Software 397 4
- Payroll error by client on Moneysoft 188 5
- Thin Client recomendation 236 3
- Auto enrolment excuses 1,306
- Feedback on accounts production software for IFRS 853
- Add T&Cs to Sales Order in Sage 546
- Credit where credit's due....... 336
- Buying goods in US and selling them to company in US 260
- TheTax Donut 229
- Double taxation relief - same income, different individual 187
- Semi retired FCA or equivalent 179
- Director's business mileage 145
- Sole trader CPD 145