MOT tests - can someone help with VAT treatment?
Strange how so many posts start with 'a new client'. As so often happens, this one has been done no favours by his previous, erm 'bookkeeper'. I'm having to backtrack over a number of years to find when he should have registered for VAT, but the MOT test question is making it more difficult.
He is not an approved MOT centre, so has tests done elsewhere. He charges more than he pays the approved centre, so he is not an agent under VTTAXPER3900, so I don't see how he can treat the cost to him as a disbursement. However, I am reading VTTAXPER48000 incorrectly, as I find two of the VAT treatments conflict. One paragraph says that any amount charged over and above the amount paid is taxable at the standard rate. Yet the next option says that if he does not treat the exact amount that he is charged as a disbursement he must account for VAT on the full invoiced amount.
So, if he only accounts for VAT on the 'profit' under the 1st option, does that mean he has some exempt sales which lead us in to partial VAT calculations?
Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.
- Do you use commercial software for Self Assessment tax returns? 295 9
- Non VAT invoices 170 4
- Time to ditch Sage? 178 2
- CT600 - Credit balance in expenses? 256 8
- Travel is part allowable if combined with personal holiday 166 2
- Client in dispute with Customer over cancellation charge 1,373 32
- Fees 193 1
- Correcting earlier year CT600s 246 5
- ACCA Special Business Resolutions... 210 2
- Form 17 Download 131 1
- Claiming VAT on car lease 545 28
- Small hotel - food for personal use 376 4
- HMRC Information notice 988 24
- Recommendations for online payroll software 274 3
- Accountant Specialization. 381 5
- Accounting Web - What is happening? 1,754 42
- Sage Line 50 174 3
- Off topic slightly - any football fans out there? 195 1
- Can my company contibute more than 40000 to my pension in a tax year? 459 6
- CWF1 - is it still required?? 405 7
- Chart of account segments; Balance sheet vs P&L 759
- Any knowledge of salesorder.com 414
- Could and would anyone here carry out a hot file review of some non statutory audit work please? 364
- Electric Car 299
- S222 Charge 245
- Corporation tax penalties and fines on the CT600 205
- IP trans to holding company 195
- Software to Deal with Amazon and Ebay Sales 184
- AIA 180
- Best way to convert Sage data to VT Transaction+ 178