MOT tests - can someone help with VAT treatment?
Strange how so many posts start with 'a new client'. As so often happens, this one has been done no favours by his previous, erm 'bookkeeper'. I'm having to backtrack over a number of years to find when he should have registered for VAT, but the MOT test question is making it more difficult.
He is not an approved MOT centre, so has tests done elsewhere. He charges more than he pays the approved centre, so he is not an agent under VTTAXPER3900, so I don't see how he can treat the cost to him as a disbursement. However, I am reading VTTAXPER48000 incorrectly, as I find two of the VAT treatments conflict. One paragraph says that any amount charged over and above the amount paid is taxable at the standard rate. Yet the next option says that if he does not treat the exact amount that he is charged as a disbursement he must account for VAT on the full invoiced amount.
So, if he only accounts for VAT on the 'profit' under the 1st option, does that mean he has some exempt sales which lead us in to partial VAT calculations?
Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.
- Faxpay in the 21st century 71 4
- Management Buy Out - shares exchanged 328 23
- Scottish independence - what happens to HMRC? 588 38
- Why will HMRC not code out my client's £1,730 underpayment for 12/13 265 7
- Incorporation Fee - What's Non-deductible? 486 9
- How will auto enrolment affect accountants? 1,147 35
- Accounting for investment club gains 61 1
- Associations tax regime for Saturday school 684 7
- Income tax exemption on woodlands 166 5
- Moving from Sage payroll to Iris Payroll 114 3
- Is it just me 296 7
- LLP classification of division of profit 186 7
- I know this has been done to death but IRIS / DIGITA / CCH??? 497 9
- How long are you on hold- IRIS Payroll 130 5
- Is an IPDI passed to wife on death exempt from IHT 99 1
- Excessive Security 780 32
- Does practical cloud s/w for high transaction volumes exist? 507 24
- Reduce Rate VAT as a developer 125 2
- Fee protection 334 10
- Go Cardless 133 3
- Xtuple 485
- Qtac payroll for bureau 326
- Confused - Professional Association a Mutual trader, or not? 271
- Industrial & Provident Societies 266
- Data transfer from Sage Line 50 to VT Transaction+ 210
- Mehjoo 209
- New strategic report 163
- Domain name sale and limited company 146
- South African Government Pension 144
- CIS schemes 139