MOT tests - can someone help with VAT treatment?
Strange how so many posts start with 'a new client'. As so often happens, this one has been done no favours by his previous, erm 'bookkeeper'. I'm having to backtrack over a number of years to find when he should have registered for VAT, but the MOT test question is making it more difficult.
He is not an approved MOT centre, so has tests done elsewhere. He charges more than he pays the approved centre, so he is not an agent under VTTAXPER3900, so I don't see how he can treat the cost to him as a disbursement. However, I am reading VTTAXPER48000 incorrectly, as I find two of the VAT treatments conflict. One paragraph says that any amount charged over and above the amount paid is taxable at the standard rate. Yet the next option says that if he does not treat the exact amount that he is charged as a disbursement he must account for VAT on the full invoiced amount.
So, if he only accounts for VAT on the 'profit' under the 1st option, does that mean he has some exempt sales which lead us in to partial VAT calculations?
Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.
- Two trades one individual - Vat registration? 297 2
- How to claim subsistence for working away from home 174 3
- looking for a practice consultant 145 2
- The stupidity continues 1,431 73
- Withdrawing company car 108 1
- AML report needed? 178 7
- Bank request To verify Accounts 228 6
- RE assets introduced and rent 85 1
- transactions after account have been closed 311 10
- VAT on work on residential premises (empty for 2 years prior) 81 1
- Land Rover Discovery 3.0 SDV6 255 Comm Auto 2 seat 393 9
- Marketing and email surprises 452 9
- If you've had any issues posting: Please read this 768 26
- What is IRIS World like? 413 10
- Limited company director - other earnings in the tax year 329 5
- Mlom bollocks 267 4
- VT Transactions Stock Issues 112 2
- Non-Europe based but want to do UK taxes 159 1
- CIMA at the age of 35?? 598 11
- Can I claim Vat on solicitors invoices? 317 6
- Has anyone been affected by the RBS payment breakdown? 446
- Straight line write off of Purchase Goodwill ??? 446
- WIP Software 309
- FRS 102 compliant illustrative accounts for an insurance company 295
- No payroll scheme in place 244
- CGT, PPR and transfer of equity to spouse. 237
- Do subcontractors on work for residential (student accomodation) construction 216
- Is there anything wrong with this? 212
- Small Part Disposal of Property 202
- Uncommercial property business 190