MOT tests - can someone help with VAT treatment?
Strange how so many posts start with 'a new client'. As so often happens, this one has been done no favours by his previous, erm 'bookkeeper'. I'm having to backtrack over a number of years to find when he should have registered for VAT, but the MOT test question is making it more difficult.
He is not an approved MOT centre, so has tests done elsewhere. He charges more than he pays the approved centre, so he is not an agent under VTTAXPER3900, so I don't see how he can treat the cost to him as a disbursement. However, I am reading VTTAXPER48000 incorrectly, as I find two of the VAT treatments conflict. One paragraph says that any amount charged over and above the amount paid is taxable at the standard rate. Yet the next option says that if he does not treat the exact amount that he is charged as a disbursement he must account for VAT on the full invoiced amount.
So, if he only accounts for VAT on the 'profit' under the 1st option, does that mean he has some exempt sales which lead us in to partial VAT calculations?
Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.
- Revaluation of investment proeprty 126 2
- Subsistence expenses for one man band contractor companies 215 5
- How good is OCRREX Auto Rec software? 442 10
- Sage Line50 Journal Entry Help! 248 16
- Capital Gains Tax on title transfer 331 13
- Partnership issues and acting for one partner 34 1
- Can't read my handwriting 667 16
- Corp Tax Refund 204 3
- corp tax software 1,058 14
- How to prove to HMRC that you was not self employed? 384 13
- How can customer service quality vary between the basic pension firms? 434 6
- PRR 476 15
- Director selling assets to the company that were given to her 135 1
- Working from home - time apportionment 311 3
- Recovering VAT on property purchase 218 2
- cross border vat 120 2
- Any Scottish members out there? 12,959 488
- What code do you put expenses under such as tea & coffee? 805 17
- Now Scotland has voted "No", when does England get to vote? 1,674 74
- Employing a carer 149 1
- Raiders of the Lost Tax File 1,375
- Chartered Accountant in County Down N.Ireland 520
- National Insurance 421
- Non Resident 322
- Hands on experience of Digita 245
- Best way to take money from a business if you have unlimited EIS allowances? 231
- CIS paid under reg 9 189
- Employer's Helpline 189
- Does anyone use PS Financials accounting software out there? 153
- Commercial rental property - still Schedule A? 152