MOT tests - can someone help with VAT treatment?
Strange how so many posts start with 'a new client'. As so often happens, this one has been done no favours by his previous, erm 'bookkeeper'. I'm having to backtrack over a number of years to find when he should have registered for VAT, but the MOT test question is making it more difficult.
He is not an approved MOT centre, so has tests done elsewhere. He charges more than he pays the approved centre, so he is not an agent under VTTAXPER3900, so I don't see how he can treat the cost to him as a disbursement. However, I am reading VTTAXPER48000 incorrectly, as I find two of the VAT treatments conflict. One paragraph says that any amount charged over and above the amount paid is taxable at the standard rate. Yet the next option says that if he does not treat the exact amount that he is charged as a disbursement he must account for VAT on the full invoiced amount.
So, if he only accounts for VAT on the 'profit' under the 1st option, does that mean he has some exempt sales which lead us in to partial VAT calculations?
Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.
- Finding a Company UTR for a newly formed company 128 1
- Recomendations for a purchase order management book please? 126 1
- Instant CPD offer 286 4
- Cash basis 518 13
- Income from rent charged to business 128 2
- payroll software 370 3
- CIMA accountant wants to start consultancy 443 5
- Statutory sick pay 309 4
- Dividend in specie 370 9
- Complicated Company car purchase 221 2
- Ltd Company Buying Own Shares and Transferring Assets 176 3
- Retail vat schemes for a restaurant 146 1
- Rental Property W&T And Equipment 275 1
- Legislation access for part-time sole practitioner? 295 1
- Ownership of land - declaration of trust 169 3
- Fee base v staff ratio 388 6
- NIC thresholds - two employments 1,858 27
- Statutory Accounts - Dividends Disclosure Note 336 3
- Unincorporated organistion ceasing to exist 259 2
- Gift in kind to charity by company: services 110 1
- Skandia using wrong address 577
- Does anyone use PS Financials accounting software out there? 309
- FHL, period of grace and Entrepreneur's relief 308
- Employee rewards 290
- Gift of reversion and lease into trust by two different people - later PPR 258
- EPS Analysis - Change to EURO 229
- Etax Australian 189
- LLP in Construction Industry 156
- Selling On Amazon & Calculatign Prices/Vat 133
- Interest and late payment charges HMRC 132