MOT tests - can someone help with VAT treatment?
Strange how so many posts start with 'a new client'. As so often happens, this one has been done no favours by his previous, erm 'bookkeeper'. I'm having to backtrack over a number of years to find when he should have registered for VAT, but the MOT test question is making it more difficult.
He is not an approved MOT centre, so has tests done elsewhere. He charges more than he pays the approved centre, so he is not an agent under VTTAXPER3900, so I don't see how he can treat the cost to him as a disbursement. However, I am reading VTTAXPER48000 incorrectly, as I find two of the VAT treatments conflict. One paragraph says that any amount charged over and above the amount paid is taxable at the standard rate. Yet the next option says that if he does not treat the exact amount that he is charged as a disbursement he must account for VAT on the full invoiced amount.
So, if he only accounts for VAT on the 'profit' under the 1st option, does that mean he has some exempt sales which lead us in to partial VAT calculations?
Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.
- Increasing the personal allowance: A top priority? 472 18
- Double tax treaty Italy and UK 93 1
- Anyone Heard of This Outfit? 1,102 7
- Bereavment payment 76 1
- Can anyone advise on the best VAT Scheme to change to? 271 4
- Apologies for reposting this but first post was on Friday afternoon! 342 2
- CT600 Computations - Company Tax Return help 1,292 14
- Sage Bank Reconciliation 144 2
- Companies House incorporation service 346 12
- Factors affecting tax charge FRS 19 (marginal rate) 74 1
- P35 and Service Company questions 146 3
- VAT chargeable to conference attendees 191 6
- Is Accountancy Becoming like an Insurance Policy 202 1
- Long period of account for Corporation Tax 260 7
- Flat Rate VAT and EU sales (Non VAT) 141 3
- NIC £2000 Allowance - Care Support Worker 150 3
- VAT, vans, sole traders and business use. 1,598 12
- Share Capital 129 2
- Trading income or not? 194 1
- Charge HMRC 422 3
- Xtuple 548
- Qtac payroll for bureau 375
- Confused - Professional Association a Mutual trader, or not? 316
- Industrial & Provident Societies 313
- Why would HMRC offer to close an investigation by contract settlement 291
- CIS schemes 221
- Domain name sale and limited company 205
- Investment 185
- Director legal fees in loose connection to the company 184
- Italian friend wants to set up a UK company to reduce taxes 178