MOT tests - can someone help with VAT treatment?
Strange how so many posts start with 'a new client'. As so often happens, this one has been done no favours by his previous, erm 'bookkeeper'. I'm having to backtrack over a number of years to find when he should have registered for VAT, but the MOT test question is making it more difficult.
He is not an approved MOT centre, so has tests done elsewhere. He charges more than he pays the approved centre, so he is not an agent under VTTAXPER3900, so I don't see how he can treat the cost to him as a disbursement. However, I am reading VTTAXPER48000 incorrectly, as I find two of the VAT treatments conflict. One paragraph says that any amount charged over and above the amount paid is taxable at the standard rate. Yet the next option says that if he does not treat the exact amount that he is charged as a disbursement he must account for VAT on the full invoiced amount.
So, if he only accounts for VAT on the 'profit' under the 1st option, does that mean he has some exempt sales which lead us in to partial VAT calculations?
Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.
- Where has Portia gone? 8,955 144
- proposed dividends 219 16
- Ouch. Those penalties sting 812 14
- FPS responses ... 60 2
- Best Tax / Accounts Production software 1,438 28
- Dividend and pension with no salary 385 4
- NICs and director salary if receiving pension 78 1
- ATT Exam Question 145 5
- shareholder remuneration 126 7
- Vat on solicitors charges 306 7
- What does PITA mean? 674 17
- VATable supplies 120 3
- How does one compete? 239 5
- VAT within EC 80 2
- Should small companies be audited? 1,040 42
- CIS? 265 7
- CGT base cost 424 15
- Help with small charity CT600 please!! 268 2
- Late leaver notification 286 5
- Accountex Exhibition 222 2
- Sanzar 466
- Digital marketing focus group 384
- Sage troubleshooting for employee who has previously claimed SMP 359
- Continuity Agreement 302
- Are commercial mortgage cashbacks subject to Corporation Tax ? 290
- Sainsbury's mangement 285
- Avanti Accounts 275
- Buyback 271
- Entrepreneurs' relief (ER) for EMI shares 213
- Iris and Miicrosoft 365 181