MOT tests - can someone help with VAT treatment?
Strange how so many posts start with 'a new client'. As so often happens, this one has been done no favours by his previous, erm 'bookkeeper'. I'm having to backtrack over a number of years to find when he should have registered for VAT, but the MOT test question is making it more difficult.
He is not an approved MOT centre, so has tests done elsewhere. He charges more than he pays the approved centre, so he is not an agent under VTTAXPER3900, so I don't see how he can treat the cost to him as a disbursement. However, I am reading VTTAXPER48000 incorrectly, as I find two of the VAT treatments conflict. One paragraph says that any amount charged over and above the amount paid is taxable at the standard rate. Yet the next option says that if he does not treat the exact amount that he is charged as a disbursement he must account for VAT on the full invoiced amount.
So, if he only accounts for VAT on the 'profit' under the 1st option, does that mean he has some exempt sales which lead us in to partial VAT calculations?
Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.
- Setting up a practice 123 2
- HP agreement in Directors name but payments under company 604 17
- Stamp Duty 277 4
- Physiotherapist and vat and agency work ( one for Les Howard???) 217 4
- I am 34 years old, am I too old to start a career in Accounting ? which is the best way to pursue it 1,758 21
- Another Sneaky Tax Hike! 436 5
- Incorporation of gp practise 156 1
- Love is in the air 404 5
- Sage Instant Accounts Complete De-install problem 248 9
- Auto enrolment confusion 2,008 46
- Very large share capital by mistake 315 3
- Client Paperwork Retention? 544 13
- Paid staff their normal salary instead of SMP 559 7
- Tax Overlap Reporting 323 4
- VAT refund if only output tax on first claim 343 2
- Pay rise - how to enter in Moneysoft 378 9
- Reimbursing director travel costs 431 6
- Allegedly ICAS most of us at 50 should pack up - Interesting 443 8
- Sage 50 VAT Return 273 2
- Interest paid - do new rules affect Tax Credits? 525 1
- DTA tie-breaker issue 295
- Tax Implicatins on a Directors Loan 280
- CGT for NOn UK residents 278
- Employer's pension contribution - need to be PAYE registered? 273
- What are the tax implications of overseas sales through a UK based company? 249
- profit or loss on furnishings and deed of trust 235
- Apprenticeship Levy 232
- Capital Gains personal representatives 219
- Tenants in Common - Actual % split not written down 212
- Mandating Rental income or dividend income to a company 193