MOT tests - can someone help with VAT treatment?
Strange how so many posts start with 'a new client'. As so often happens, this one has been done no favours by his previous, erm 'bookkeeper'. I'm having to backtrack over a number of years to find when he should have registered for VAT, but the MOT test question is making it more difficult.
He is not an approved MOT centre, so has tests done elsewhere. He charges more than he pays the approved centre, so he is not an agent under VTTAXPER3900, so I don't see how he can treat the cost to him as a disbursement. However, I am reading VTTAXPER48000 incorrectly, as I find two of the VAT treatments conflict. One paragraph says that any amount charged over and above the amount paid is taxable at the standard rate. Yet the next option says that if he does not treat the exact amount that he is charged as a disbursement he must account for VAT on the full invoiced amount.
So, if he only accounts for VAT on the 'profit' under the 1st option, does that mean he has some exempt sales which lead us in to partial VAT calculations?
Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.
- CIC Company 374 2
- What are options for non CA firm 2,642 57
- Is this a scam? 751 8
- Can I take action against my accountant for incompetence? 1,533 41
- Companies Made Simple Dashboard? 110 1
- Employment allowance (again) :( 322 2
- Mortgage to buy property in limited company 230 5
- New company - form a group? 152 2
- Sage valuing foreign bank balances 170 4
- PITA client 201 3
- VAT on sales net of CIS suffered 360 9
- Do I need to report this to SOCA 3,309 33
- Has anyone read the implications of the Lisbon treaty? 738 15
- Dividend dates 486 8
- R&D tax credit claim 211 5
- CIS Deductions 271 3
- Estate agent and VAT registration 110 1
- is this fraud? 786 13
- Married woman dies owning marital home 494 5
- first year company tax return for a limited company 1,534 28
- Property exchange - 8-year legal delay following fall-out 598
- Cancelled 345
- SAGE Payroll Data for Import to MS Dynamics AX 331
- Cancelled 282
- Have you staged yet for auto enrolment? 254
- Probiz 241
- VAT on non-profit making clubs (ECJ VS West Dorset Golf Club) 182
- Phishing emails purporting to be from CIPFA? 176
- Car leasing scheme 175
- Is this UK incapacity benefit taxable in UK or Jersey? 153