MOT tests - can someone help with VAT treatment?
Strange how so many posts start with 'a new client'. As so often happens, this one has been done no favours by his previous, erm 'bookkeeper'. I'm having to backtrack over a number of years to find when he should have registered for VAT, but the MOT test question is making it more difficult.
He is not an approved MOT centre, so has tests done elsewhere. He charges more than he pays the approved centre, so he is not an agent under VTTAXPER3900, so I don't see how he can treat the cost to him as a disbursement. However, I am reading VTTAXPER48000 incorrectly, as I find two of the VAT treatments conflict. One paragraph says that any amount charged over and above the amount paid is taxable at the standard rate. Yet the next option says that if he does not treat the exact amount that he is charged as a disbursement he must account for VAT on the full invoiced amount.
So, if he only accounts for VAT on the 'profit' under the 1st option, does that mean he has some exempt sales which lead us in to partial VAT calculations?
Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.
- On line Remote Training 214 7
- Are agent account managers any good? 55 1
- Clients 570 11
- Intermediaries reporting - who does it apply to? 48 1
- Starting new accounting business 123 2
- Group Relief 50 1
- Practice Company Secretarial Software recommendations please 215 3
- Sage 200 vatable journal? 94 4
- Transfer of stock 240 12
- Can a Directors Pension be paid into a Ltd Company 121 1
- New client procedure 271 4
- Managing deliberate defaulters hmrc 234 2
- Does SMP and SPP go up if leave goes across 2 tax years? 304 10
- Tolley UK sales number 155 4
- Enterprise relief 102 2
- Pre-registration VAT: can you reclaim VATon delivery costs incurred in the six months prior to registration? 165 4
- VAT flat rate scheme 394 7
- Virtually Impossible 597 12
- Registering as a director 112 1
- SSP days and Holidays 210 3
- QROP pension input amounts 488
- HMRC BENCHMARK EXPENSES 465
- write off loan or loan to equity swap or both 431
- EPS and CIS deductions 288
- Sole trade business in UK, but the owner works from EU 278
- Construction CIS LLP Company 272
- Stamp duty on house transfer between spouses 233
- SAGE winforecast 194
- LIVE: Budget aftermath webinar 177
- Overdrawn director account 163