MOT tests - can someone help with VAT treatment?
Strange how so many posts start with 'a new client'. As so often happens, this one has been done no favours by his previous, erm 'bookkeeper'. I'm having to backtrack over a number of years to find when he should have registered for VAT, but the MOT test question is making it more difficult.
He is not an approved MOT centre, so has tests done elsewhere. He charges more than he pays the approved centre, so he is not an agent under VTTAXPER3900, so I don't see how he can treat the cost to him as a disbursement. However, I am reading VTTAXPER48000 incorrectly, as I find two of the VAT treatments conflict. One paragraph says that any amount charged over and above the amount paid is taxable at the standard rate. Yet the next option says that if he does not treat the exact amount that he is charged as a disbursement he must account for VAT on the full invoiced amount.
So, if he only accounts for VAT on the 'profit' under the 1st option, does that mean he has some exempt sales which lead us in to partial VAT calculations?
Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.
- jury service 80 1
- Late submission of 2008 Tax Return 10 1
- Giving a seminar 69 4
- Related Parties Note 919 11
- Debiting private use proportion to directors loan account 130 3
- Tax Returns, 2011-2012 303 7
- Concerned about RTI 2014 2,917 74
- Disposal of property 139 3
- Playstation 4 - Allowable expense or not? 2,693 50
- Property scam victim 348 7
- 10 year debentures and CT 75 2
- Are HMRC getting it right? 447 9
- Capital Gains on Inherited Property 303 11
- Shareholder agreement issues on development 64 1
- Tasks for new trainees 211 5
- ICAEW student, Dilema with client & boss 839 19
- Client using boyfriend's personal account 601 16
- Rental Property on Self Assessment 133 2
- Partnership returns software 121 2
- VAT on garage rent 177 9
- Desperately seeking Susan, Sam or anyone with any other name 1,105
- Experience with Islamic investor following Sharia-compliant rules? 581
- Darwinpay Partnership Assessment 387
- S464A Charge to tax: conferring benefit & BIK 292
- Charge out rates in London? 249
- Interest on Loan to a Company 194
- Bank interest in 'near' facility recall situation 176
- Agent fees to sell business 168
- Alphabet shares 164
- ACCA continuity of practice arrangement needed 157