Musicians and Self Employment?
Can a musician register as self-employed to offset costs, such as studio time for recording tracks, travel to gigs and general musical expenses (instrument consumables etc) against the tax paid during employment in the same year?
They are currently employed but spend 50% of their time also pursuing a career in music, unfortunatly for them the music isn't paying the bills at the current time so the employment (where PAYE/NI is paid through the employer) is a neccesity.
I understand there are alot of specific rules around musicians and actors and what can and can't be claimed for which I would suggest they visit an accountant about but my query is more general about if this is an allowable reason to register as self-employed?
I actually think that they should be registered anyway as they also write 2 regular magazine articles each month for different publications for which (I think) they are paid cash.
I have read somewhere about music being viewed as a hobby for some people, however I can't seem to find any distinguising rules from HMRC about when they class music as a hobby and when it becomes a profession (the person in question certainly doesn't see it as a hobby, but is this enough?)
Any comments welcome as I would like to advise them on the best way forward and not lead them in to thinking they should when actually they can't.
- flat rate scheme 172 4
- Director's Earnings when Drawing from Goodwill profit from Sole Trading Company sale to Ltd Company 213 2
- What do young accountants know that you don't? 1,965 9
- Company limited by guarantee having only 1 member 130 3
- Are any of you members of The Institute of Financial Accountants - Accountnats certificate 472 5
- capital allowances - Demolition of a building 162 2
- Limited by Guarantee - Members 96 1
- VAT refund 320 3
- Are you going to Tick and Bash on 21 May? 1,284 37
- Turnover on a tax return 550 12
- incorrect old p60 565 15
- Company to buy shareholder land 140 4
- Deferred income - financial concern no recognised turnover CT600 184 1
- Posting Corp Tax to Sage Line 50 160 1
- Special dividends & CGT 206 1
- Networking 370 5
- Bank Interest Held by Solicitor During Divorce 281 2
- US company hiring UK citizens in UK 306 4
- What VAT to reclaim on van purchased on HP? 340 5
- Professional coaching claimable? 298 2