Musicians and Self Employment?
Can a musician register as self-employed to offset costs, such as studio time for recording tracks, travel to gigs and general musical expenses (instrument consumables etc) against the tax paid during employment in the same year?
They are currently employed but spend 50% of their time also pursuing a career in music, unfortunatly for them the music isn't paying the bills at the current time so the employment (where PAYE/NI is paid through the employer) is a neccesity.
I understand there are alot of specific rules around musicians and actors and what can and can't be claimed for which I would suggest they visit an accountant about but my query is more general about if this is an allowable reason to register as self-employed?
I actually think that they should be registered anyway as they also write 2 regular magazine articles each month for different publications for which (I think) they are paid cash.
I have read somewhere about music being viewed as a hobby for some people, however I can't seem to find any distinguising rules from HMRC about when they class music as a hobby and when it becomes a profession (the person in question certainly doesn't see it as a hobby, but is this enough?)
Any comments welcome as I would like to advise them on the best way forward and not lead them in to thinking they should when actually they can't.
- Top slicing relief question no 2 86 1
- Career slump - advice and/or sympathy much appreciated 498 11
- Practical Query: Entrepreneurs and PPR Reliefs 302 4
- Maternity Pay 64 1
- Was I rude 406 14
- Surcharges on very late VAT 108 1
- Invoice factoring 241 8
- Director's minimum wage? 177 3
- Share swap 221 4
- Should I pass on my HMRC login 339 9
- I'm not sure if this is the correct forum but here goes 177 2
- Entrepreneurs relief/ Company Secretary 134 2
- Work in progress calculation 118 2
- Limited Company - Personal Bank Account 941 29
- Help with share restructuring 101 1
- HMRC Employers Diary 582 1
- Advice please on best way forward 569 7
- Recommendations for tax advice sole practitioner 592 9
- old client has come out of the woodwork 382 2
- Scoot 402 7
- Skandia using wrong address 1,471
- Nil Rate Band Trust - index linked debt by way of charge over property 796
- Any views 721
- International interest certificate 435
- Stamp Duty on share for share exchange 407
- Sale of business 374
- Advertising services? 279
- NOVA 273
- IRIS Open Books problem 270
- farming-related R & D tax relief claims 184