Musicians and Self Employment?
Can a musician register as self-employed to offset costs, such as studio time for recording tracks, travel to gigs and general musical expenses (instrument consumables etc) against the tax paid during employment in the same year?
They are currently employed but spend 50% of their time also pursuing a career in music, unfortunatly for them the music isn't paying the bills at the current time so the employment (where PAYE/NI is paid through the employer) is a neccesity.
I understand there are alot of specific rules around musicians and actors and what can and can't be claimed for which I would suggest they visit an accountant about but my query is more general about if this is an allowable reason to register as self-employed?
I actually think that they should be registered anyway as they also write 2 regular magazine articles each month for different publications for which (I think) they are paid cash.
I have read somewhere about music being viewed as a hobby for some people, however I can't seem to find any distinguising rules from HMRC about when they class music as a hobby and when it becomes a profession (the person in question certainly doesn't see it as a hobby, but is this enough?)
Any comments welcome as I would like to advise them on the best way forward and not lead them in to thinking they should when actually they can't.
- Accounting Web - What is happening? 1,641 42
- Sage Line 50 137 3
- Off topic slightly - any football fans out there? 79 1
- Can my company contibute more than 40000 to my pension in a tax year? 350 6
- Accountant Specialization. 296 4
- CWF1 - is it still required?? 361 7
- Seafarer's Earnings Deduction 132 1
- Freelance/Employee 674 17
- Recommendations for online payroll software 202 1
- Rectify overpaid childcare vouchers, how? 175 2
- CT600 - Credit balance in expenses? 180 6
- Claiming VAT on car lease 478 27
- Capital Gains Tax on property with multiple uses 118 1
- Returning papers to ex-clients 603 7
- How to network with other Accountants? 697 5
- Correcting earlier year CT600s 149 2
- Agent Authorisation Issue 209 2
- Is it just me ... 329 5
- Duplicating Sales and COS but does not impacting bottom line? Legal? 307 4
- CIS registration when already registered for PAYE 133 4
- Chart of account segments; Balance sheet vs P&L 747
- Any knowledge of salesorder.com 405
- Could and would anyone here carry out a hot file review of some non statutory audit work please? 354
- Electric Car 289
- S222 Charge 238
- Corporation tax penalties and fines on the CT600 194
- IP trans to holding company 189
- Software to Deal with Amazon and Ebay Sales 173
- AIA 167
- Best way to convert Sage data to VT Transaction+ 167