Musicians and Self Employment?
Can a musician register as self-employed to offset costs, such as studio time for recording tracks, travel to gigs and general musical expenses (instrument consumables etc) against the tax paid during employment in the same year?
They are currently employed but spend 50% of their time also pursuing a career in music, unfortunatly for them the music isn't paying the bills at the current time so the employment (where PAYE/NI is paid through the employer) is a neccesity.
I understand there are alot of specific rules around musicians and actors and what can and can't be claimed for which I would suggest they visit an accountant about but my query is more general about if this is an allowable reason to register as self-employed?
I actually think that they should be registered anyway as they also write 2 regular magazine articles each month for different publications for which (I think) they are paid cash.
I have read somewhere about music being viewed as a hobby for some people, however I can't seem to find any distinguising rules from HMRC about when they class music as a hobby and when it becomes a profession (the person in question certainly doesn't see it as a hobby, but is this enough?)
Any comments welcome as I would like to advise them on the best way forward and not lead them in to thinking they should when actually they can't.
- Would this save hours of your time? 367 9
- Wrong career 422 18
- Laptop purchase 1,352 20
- PTP software disaster 221 2
- Producing graphical KPI's etc 155 4
- CIS repayment shambles finally over? 202 2
- Treatment of EU Purchases on Sage 88 2
- Director's tax return 191 3
- Tricky VAT question 135 1
- RTI Annual Scheme Query 101 2
- MONEYSOFT - EARLIER YEAR UPDATE 229 6
- VT accounts licence key 234 5
- Weely paid employees 211 2
- Splitting the tax year 80 1
- FPS Submission 133 2
- Value pricing 638 20
- non resident receiving UK dividends 205 3
- P11d & Medical Ins 127 1
- vat return 221 1
- Underpaid National Insurance 174 3
- Residential Property Purchase Above £750K 789
- Using Sage with Sofa Categories 545
- Does anyone have an unwanted ICAEW wooden plaque? 409
- Goods shipped inter EU and VAT Reporting 291
- Free Tax Legislation? 253
- Non-Resident Director - UK Tax Position? 235
- Director Loan account operation 233
- transferring simply accounting 2010 from xp to windows 7 230
- Sage 200 and Access Dimensions reviews 224
- Paye procedures for CVA 159