Musicians and Self Employment?
Can a musician register as self-employed to offset costs, such as studio time for recording tracks, travel to gigs and general musical expenses (instrument consumables etc) against the tax paid during employment in the same year?
They are currently employed but spend 50% of their time also pursuing a career in music, unfortunatly for them the music isn't paying the bills at the current time so the employment (where PAYE/NI is paid through the employer) is a neccesity.
I understand there are alot of specific rules around musicians and actors and what can and can't be claimed for which I would suggest they visit an accountant about but my query is more general about if this is an allowable reason to register as self-employed?
I actually think that they should be registered anyway as they also write 2 regular magazine articles each month for different publications for which (I think) they are paid cash.
I have read somewhere about music being viewed as a hobby for some people, however I can't seem to find any distinguising rules from HMRC about when they class music as a hobby and when it becomes a profession (the person in question certainly doesn't see it as a hobby, but is this enough?)
Any comments welcome as I would like to advise them on the best way forward and not lead them in to thinking they should when actually they can't.
- Loan repayments (personal) and profits 111 3
- anyone using Office365 for practice management 722 19
- Welcome to the Saturday Club 795 38
- Warning! Cannot pay SA tax at Post Office 644 16
- Is it possible to offset part Class 4 losses for year from one business against part profits of second business 141 4
- Tax Penalty overeaction 532 10
- 5% penalty on late payment 61 1
- New Boiler at Rental Property 223 3
- Ongoing trade? 214 4
- Sole trade and vehicle leasing 47 1
- Can I undertake a solicitors audit? 223 4
- Freelance software consultant 280 3
- Tax deduction for Partners for items outside of accounts 143 1
- Tax Enquiry - Inspector Error 230 1
- opening balamces 346 11
- Limited company closed payroll then changed its name: does it need to apply for a new PAYE reference to reinstate payroll? 288 4
- What is included in earnings for Carers Allowance purposes? 109 2
- payroo 196 3
- Which P45 to Use 280 3
- Auto enrolment 1,597 25
- Form MR01 (Particulars of a charge) - does this need to be filed if you remortgage with the same lender? 774
- Copy Wanted 486
- Underpaid VAT assessment and relation to SATR 450
- Did you realise Google will not patch android exploit ... 448
- Latest phishing scam 277
- Entrepreneurs' relief 259
- Limited Company Garden Office - Minor Personal Use - BIK 257
- Corporate LLP with 30 June Year end - How to record on SA800? 242
- Supply teachers and Ltd Companies 224
- Cashback for opening business bank acct = trading income? 222