Musicians and Self Employment?
Can a musician register as self-employed to offset costs, such as studio time for recording tracks, travel to gigs and general musical expenses (instrument consumables etc) against the tax paid during employment in the same year?
They are currently employed but spend 50% of their time also pursuing a career in music, unfortunatly for them the music isn't paying the bills at the current time so the employment (where PAYE/NI is paid through the employer) is a neccesity.
I understand there are alot of specific rules around musicians and actors and what can and can't be claimed for which I would suggest they visit an accountant about but my query is more general about if this is an allowable reason to register as self-employed?
I actually think that they should be registered anyway as they also write 2 regular magazine articles each month for different publications for which (I think) they are paid cash.
I have read somewhere about music being viewed as a hobby for some people, however I can't seem to find any distinguising rules from HMRC about when they class music as a hobby and when it becomes a profession (the person in question certainly doesn't see it as a hobby, but is this enough?)
Any comments welcome as I would like to advise them on the best way forward and not lead them in to thinking they should when actually they can't.
- Increasing the personal allowance: A top priority? 1,147 45
- dividend 126 10
- Error on SA Tax Return 94 2
- Purchase of shares in a Limited Company 93 5
- Repairs or Improvement? 244 5
- Credit Card Payment - What are we required to do? 151 3
- Irish Taxation 134 4
- Now the phishers have baited their hooks with SAGE 300 2
- Self assessment tax arrears 509 6
- Drector renting room to company 85 1
- Off site storage 145 5
- Is Accountancy Becoming like an Insurance Policy 592 6
- Anyone know about Cloud-Based Practice Management Software? 244 7
- Industrial & Provident Societies 348 1
- Advertising with Hibu nee Yell (Yellow Pages) 230 3
- Auto-enrolment - Fees 321 4
- Self assesment losses 318 8
- RTI and s18 ITEPA 170 3
- Garden studio - tax and VAT deductible? 178 1
- CT treatment of staff entertainment for overseas staff 118 2
- Xtuple 563
- Qtac payroll for bureau 385
- Confused - Professional Association a Mutual trader, or not? 340
- Domain name sale and limited company 232
- Italian friend wants to set up a UK company to reduce taxes 211
- Director legal fees in loose connection to the company 207
- Investment 204
- Multiple bodies and practicing certificates 179
- Tax on damages received 178
- Temporary non residence and CGT on non-UK asset 145