Musicians and Self Employment?
Can a musician register as self-employed to offset costs, such as studio time for recording tracks, travel to gigs and general musical expenses (instrument consumables etc) against the tax paid during employment in the same year?
They are currently employed but spend 50% of their time also pursuing a career in music, unfortunatly for them the music isn't paying the bills at the current time so the employment (where PAYE/NI is paid through the employer) is a neccesity.
I understand there are alot of specific rules around musicians and actors and what can and can't be claimed for which I would suggest they visit an accountant about but my query is more general about if this is an allowable reason to register as self-employed?
I actually think that they should be registered anyway as they also write 2 regular magazine articles each month for different publications for which (I think) they are paid cash.
I have read somewhere about music being viewed as a hobby for some people, however I can't seem to find any distinguising rules from HMRC about when they class music as a hobby and when it becomes a profession (the person in question certainly doesn't see it as a hobby, but is this enough?)
Any comments welcome as I would like to advise them on the best way forward and not lead them in to thinking they should when actually they can't.
- Scottish Independance 23 1
- Quickbooks losing VAT return data 220 1
- French Excise Duty - Help Please! 292 7
- Interest relief before property is rented out 162 3
- CIC Tax - what is trading? 302 12
- Dress code 925 22
- How much did you pay for your website 1,574 27
- Recommendations for Ross Martin Tax Consultancy 2014 570 4
- Dividend 360 6
- FRS and Debtors 186 2
- What's in a name ? 573 6
- Helping out a friend 463 8
- Problem with CT600 return boxes AC229 & AC230 (Accelerated capital allowances) 240 7
- Use of Home for Sole Trader 415 5
- ACCA practice certificates 362 4
- FILING COMPANY ACCOUNTS 1,295 36
- Umbrella Companies 271 3
- Tax on grant a lease - no proceeds 182 2
- What would you do in this situation? 847 15
- Accounts submitted to a the charities comission 340 5
- CTA study material 739
- Anyone have clients that use Pay4Later to offer customers credit? 458
- Raiders of the Lost Tax File 307
- Employment related securities question 294
- AIM Stocks and IHT 268
- Tax Relief for overseas employees 240
- Expat pension contributions? 228
- Trust for Employee 224
- IPP (International Pension Plan) income 139
- Wind Turbine - Company or not? 120