Musicians and Self Employment?
Can a musician register as self-employed to offset costs, such as studio time for recording tracks, travel to gigs and general musical expenses (instrument consumables etc) against the tax paid during employment in the same year?
They are currently employed but spend 50% of their time also pursuing a career in music, unfortunatly for them the music isn't paying the bills at the current time so the employment (where PAYE/NI is paid through the employer) is a neccesity.
I understand there are alot of specific rules around musicians and actors and what can and can't be claimed for which I would suggest they visit an accountant about but my query is more general about if this is an allowable reason to register as self-employed?
I actually think that they should be registered anyway as they also write 2 regular magazine articles each month for different publications for which (I think) they are paid cash.
I have read somewhere about music being viewed as a hobby for some people, however I can't seem to find any distinguising rules from HMRC about when they class music as a hobby and when it becomes a profession (the person in question certainly doesn't see it as a hobby, but is this enough?)
Any comments welcome as I would like to advise them on the best way forward and not lead them in to thinking they should when actually they can't.
- Bench-marking software, any ideas? 153 2
- Next Move 694 20
- Separate companies same Director buy from each other 132 2
- Self-assessment statistics 2,451 58
- Entrepreneur - want to submit accounts by myself 118 3
- Not renewing AAT 662 9
- CGT of shares gifted 373 6
- New dividend taxation 453 3
- Accountant won't release working papers 2,775 51
- Co purchase printed materials from EU - VAT 138 1
- Company car v company allowance 261 1
- Furnished Lettings - expenses normally bourne by tenant 436 9
- Company formation and bank account 414 9
- Owning overseas property 326 2
- MLR and benefitting from the disclosure 289 1
- Company Car for Owner Director number crunching - is there a ready reckoner? 260 3
- How did you recalculate your payroll fees 706 8
- Client tied in to accountant. Unfair contract? 699 9
- Importing Sage Data and Year End 261 2
- Legal structure of a group of friends producing a free newspaper 432 8
- Self employed and HMRC Worldwide Subsistence Rates 666
- Acrobat Checkbox Help for New 64-8 409
- Property letting & CAs 397
- Interest paid - do new rules affect Tax Credits? 393
- 2015 tax year end 392
- FCA regulated company in a small group 346
- Self employed consultant working in Ireland 318
- Market Invoice (P2P invoice discounting) tax treatment 239
- DTA tie-breaker issue 210
- Tax on internet ad sharing income 204