Musicians and Self Employment?
Can a musician register as self-employed to offset costs, such as studio time for recording tracks, travel to gigs and general musical expenses (instrument consumables etc) against the tax paid during employment in the same year?
They are currently employed but spend 50% of their time also pursuing a career in music, unfortunatly for them the music isn't paying the bills at the current time so the employment (where PAYE/NI is paid through the employer) is a neccesity.
I understand there are alot of specific rules around musicians and actors and what can and can't be claimed for which I would suggest they visit an accountant about but my query is more general about if this is an allowable reason to register as self-employed?
I actually think that they should be registered anyway as they also write 2 regular magazine articles each month for different publications for which (I think) they are paid cash.
I have read somewhere about music being viewed as a hobby for some people, however I can't seem to find any distinguising rules from HMRC about when they class music as a hobby and when it becomes a profession (the person in question certainly doesn't see it as a hobby, but is this enough?)
Any comments welcome as I would like to advise them on the best way forward and not lead them in to thinking they should when actually they can't.
- Taxfiler - SA100 - More efficient? 609 5
- See you all on the other side 676 6
- 12Pay 440 2
- dividends 592 2
- R&D 309 1
- Quarterly Reporting - The Logistics 1,168 17
- Auto enrolment contribution rates 435 3
- How long are you waiting for appeal reply 394 4
- Borrowing money to loan to company 367 1
- Mother as Guarantor for Son's mortgage 538 5
- Seeking a tax case 636 9
- When do we qualify for state pension? 499 4
- Companies house strike off 531 3
- Tax treatment of alterations to property 414 2
- Moving to the cloud 733 9
- Iris open space/doc exchange for SATRs 214 2
- How much to charge for payroll? 891 16
- Unincorporated charity transfer to CIO 206 4
- BTC vs Digita 1,088 29
- Has anyone tried calling HMRC to get tax on dividends put in code? 489 4
- HMRC Joint Filing 560
- Capital Contribution towards a company car 420
- Capital Reduction & Impact on EIS Shares 371
- IRIS and FRS 102 354
- Capitalising Finance Lease 322
- USA help 315
- National Minimum Wage issue on Directors joining a Workplace Pension 295
- Dormant company accounts under FRS 102 288
- Marginal rates of tax 278
- Class 2 NI 266