Musicians and Self Employment?
Can a musician register as self-employed to offset costs, such as studio time for recording tracks, travel to gigs and general musical expenses (instrument consumables etc) against the tax paid during employment in the same year?
They are currently employed but spend 50% of their time also pursuing a career in music, unfortunatly for them the music isn't paying the bills at the current time so the employment (where PAYE/NI is paid through the employer) is a neccesity.
I understand there are alot of specific rules around musicians and actors and what can and can't be claimed for which I would suggest they visit an accountant about but my query is more general about if this is an allowable reason to register as self-employed?
I actually think that they should be registered anyway as they also write 2 regular magazine articles each month for different publications for which (I think) they are paid cash.
I have read somewhere about music being viewed as a hobby for some people, however I can't seem to find any distinguising rules from HMRC about when they class music as a hobby and when it becomes a profession (the person in question certainly doesn't see it as a hobby, but is this enough?)
Any comments welcome as I would like to advise them on the best way forward and not lead them in to thinking they should when actually they can't.
- Annual Report - How to? 398 16
- Accountants not providing all required information 318 5
- VAT NETP and Tax Agents/Representatives joimnt and several liability 93 2
- Outsourcing Payroll 151 2
- Little Green Man needs help HGV driver LTD company 159 1
- sage 168 4
- R&D tax credits 56 1
- Manually amending PAYE Code Number in HMRC Basic PAYE Tools 180 6
- Improvements to leasehold property and Capital Allowances 50 1
- Double entry 220 5
- FBI2 211 4
- Companies House 188 3
- Interprise software 102 1
- TAX, VAT and non-UK residence 522 19
- Charity accounting 270 6
- Separate Pay runs for salary and commission 158 4
- Bank Requesting clients' tax residence 1,083 13
- Clients 939 18
- can a dormant company make an employer pension contribution? 308 12
- Director's personal expenses paid by the Company 315 5
- HMRC BENCHMARK EXPENSES 546
- write off loan or loan to equity swap or both 471
- EPS and CIS deductions 330
- Sole trade business in UK, but the owner works from EU 312
- Construction CIS LLP Company 304
- Stamp duty on house transfer between spouses 299
- Tax Investigation - Employee Travel 267
- Overdrawn director account 222
- Services via intermediaries and new HMRC reporting requirements 205
- LIVE: Budget aftermath webinar 205