Musicians and Self Employment?
Can a musician register as self-employed to offset costs, such as studio time for recording tracks, travel to gigs and general musical expenses (instrument consumables etc) against the tax paid during employment in the same year?
They are currently employed but spend 50% of their time also pursuing a career in music, unfortunatly for them the music isn't paying the bills at the current time so the employment (where PAYE/NI is paid through the employer) is a neccesity.
I understand there are alot of specific rules around musicians and actors and what can and can't be claimed for which I would suggest they visit an accountant about but my query is more general about if this is an allowable reason to register as self-employed?
I actually think that they should be registered anyway as they also write 2 regular magazine articles each month for different publications for which (I think) they are paid cash.
I have read somewhere about music being viewed as a hobby for some people, however I can't seem to find any distinguising rules from HMRC about when they class music as a hobby and when it becomes a profession (the person in question certainly doesn't see it as a hobby, but is this enough?)
Any comments welcome as I would like to advise them on the best way forward and not lead them in to thinking they should when actually they can't.
- Going to miss CT filing deadline 51 2
- We contribute a percentage of employees' salaries to a pension scheme set up by them - do we need to get involved in auto-enrolment? 344 4
- Annual director payments for a small limited company 247 6
- Flat Rate Job Expenses 95 1
- Categories on the VAT Flat Rate Scheme 269 4
- Relevant life plan 230 6
- Flat Rate VAT - reclaiming VAT on Capital Purchase (bought on lease hire) 149 4
- The return 947 28
- Directors loan - no longer a director 120 1
- Why .... 550 6
- HMRC Unpaid Debt Collector 524 10
- Any advice on large 55 inch + computer monitor 154 1
- Pylon compensation - what am I missing? 388 6
- NI Contributions in order to claim state pension 467 10
- Limited Company expenses 293 7
- Formating cells in Excel 278 6
- UK taxation of income from property in Cyprus 195 4
- Advice needed for Annual Accounting Period - companies house 302 8
- Tax relief for backdated pension contributions 615 17
- Freehold Property Depreciation 360 15
- Possible Partnership? 578
- Tax and accounting treatment on long lease granted from freehold 494
- New Fangled Penalties 386
- Clubs and Taxable Income 312
- Purchase of property freehold - capitalisation of costs 286
- Closed PAYE schemes and auto enrolment 235
- Loans to other companies 234
- Lenovo – Superfish & Komodia – is your PC vulnerable 200
- Outsource Data Entry 192
- Moving away from CCH software 179