Musicians and Self Employment?
Can a musician register as self-employed to offset costs, such as studio time for recording tracks, travel to gigs and general musical expenses (instrument consumables etc) against the tax paid during employment in the same year?
They are currently employed but spend 50% of their time also pursuing a career in music, unfortunatly for them the music isn't paying the bills at the current time so the employment (where PAYE/NI is paid through the employer) is a neccesity.
I understand there are alot of specific rules around musicians and actors and what can and can't be claimed for which I would suggest they visit an accountant about but my query is more general about if this is an allowable reason to register as self-employed?
I actually think that they should be registered anyway as they also write 2 regular magazine articles each month for different publications for which (I think) they are paid cash.
I have read somewhere about music being viewed as a hobby for some people, however I can't seem to find any distinguising rules from HMRC about when they class music as a hobby and when it becomes a profession (the person in question certainly doesn't see it as a hobby, but is this enough?)
Any comments welcome as I would like to advise them on the best way forward and not lead them in to thinking they should when actually they can't.
- is this fraud? 713 13
- CIS Deductions 240 2
- Do I need to report this to SOCA 3,247 32
- Married woman dies owning marital home 454 5
- first year company tax return for a limited company 1,432 28
- Can I take action against my accountant for incompetence? 1,261 25
- Dividend dates 433 7
- Leaving Flat Rate Scheme for VAT 180 5
- Not a good start no broadband 454 10
- DEATH OF A SHAREHOLDER NO SHAREHOLDER AGREEMENT 132 2
- Has anyone read the implications of the Lisbon treaty? 698 14
- new software IXBRL and Accounts production? 196 2
- PPR CGT section 222 builds an extension 70 1
- Intrastat triangulation 63 1
- CGT 148 3
- Supplier refund treatment in Sage Line 50 186 4
- Question regarding gym training 377 6
- Sage Starting Again As Records are in a mess 170 3
- Entrepreneurs relief available? 422 8
- Property initial recognition 166 2
- Property exchange - 8-year legal delay following fall-out 586
- Cancelled 343
- SAGE Payroll Data for Import to MS Dynamics AX 330
- Cancelled 281
- Have you staged yet for auto enrolment? 250
- Probiz 234
- VAT on non-profit making clubs (ECJ VS West Dorset Golf Club) 174
- Phishing emails purporting to be from CIPFA? 173
- Car leasing scheme 166
- Is this UK incapacity benefit taxable in UK or Jersey? 150