Musicians and Self Employment?
Can a musician register as self-employed to offset costs, such as studio time for recording tracks, travel to gigs and general musical expenses (instrument consumables etc) against the tax paid during employment in the same year?
They are currently employed but spend 50% of their time also pursuing a career in music, unfortunatly for them the music isn't paying the bills at the current time so the employment (where PAYE/NI is paid through the employer) is a neccesity.
I understand there are alot of specific rules around musicians and actors and what can and can't be claimed for which I would suggest they visit an accountant about but my query is more general about if this is an allowable reason to register as self-employed?
I actually think that they should be registered anyway as they also write 2 regular magazine articles each month for different publications for which (I think) they are paid cash.
I have read somewhere about music being viewed as a hobby for some people, however I can't seem to find any distinguising rules from HMRC about when they class music as a hobby and when it becomes a profession (the person in question certainly doesn't see it as a hobby, but is this enough?)
Any comments welcome as I would like to advise them on the best way forward and not lead them in to thinking they should when actually they can't.
- Dispensation pointless ? 232 4
- Snotty HMRC letter - continued 535 16
- Accountant Pays Clients Tax 577 11
- Are bankruptcy restrictions order becoming more common? 181 4
- When will Private Principal Residence Relief cut will start? 308 6
- Charge out rates in London? 170 2
- Accounting jobs in the UK 65 1
- Negative retained earnings & Dividends 126 3
- pre letting expenses 149 2
- Expat working back in UK 96 3
- Are contractor travel expenses 86 1
- Who owns SAGE Data? 405 8
- Audit Exemption new rules 274 6
- Property versus Trade in a Ltd Company 98 3
- change of paye software 509 13
- Which software for practice books? 471 19
- Several employments - large tax bill remaining 243 4
- CIS to 5/10/13 and HMRC Computer issue 529 2
- share capital calculation 283 14
- Renting property to yourself 460 12
- Desperately seeking Susan, Sam or anyone with any other name 738
- Experience with Islamic investor following Sharia-compliant rules? 475
- Darwinpay Partnership Assessment 290
- How to format a stock book 252
- S464A Charge to tax: conferring benefit & BIK 206
- Foreign income on Self Assesment 205
- Tax efficient holding company structure 192
- Investment property company accounts template 186
- Outlook 2007 with business contact manager not loading on new laptop 178
- auto enrolment - calculation of first pension deduction 163