Musicians and Self Employment?
Can a musician register as self-employed to offset costs, such as studio time for recording tracks, travel to gigs and general musical expenses (instrument consumables etc) against the tax paid during employment in the same year?
They are currently employed but spend 50% of their time also pursuing a career in music, unfortunatly for them the music isn't paying the bills at the current time so the employment (where PAYE/NI is paid through the employer) is a neccesity.
I understand there are alot of specific rules around musicians and actors and what can and can't be claimed for which I would suggest they visit an accountant about but my query is more general about if this is an allowable reason to register as self-employed?
I actually think that they should be registered anyway as they also write 2 regular magazine articles each month for different publications for which (I think) they are paid cash.
I have read somewhere about music being viewed as a hobby for some people, however I can't seem to find any distinguising rules from HMRC about when they class music as a hobby and when it becomes a profession (the person in question certainly doesn't see it as a hobby, but is this enough?)
Any comments welcome as I would like to advise them on the best way forward and not lead them in to thinking they should when actually they can't.
- Feuding directors 445 16
- PAYE for a babysitter? 113 5
- How to complain about HMRC 91 4
- FILING COMPANY ACCOUNTS 562 17
- Autoenrolment and payroll software from April 2015 278 2
- Lloyds bank ... 97 1
- Instant CPD - is it any good? 32 1
- Anybody taken part in the Growth Voucher Scheme? 382 12
- Accountancy work for Farmers 150 4
- Agent Change of Postal Address 196 3
- cancellation of Engagement 330 7
- Protocol on SEIS & EIS 51 1
- Seed Enterprise Investment Scheme Charges 120 2
- Fastest Software 718 12
- Capital allowances 155 1
- Dispensing with accounting periods, with nested ledgers. 269 7
- Foreign branch in SME 133 1
- How much did you pay for your website 1,279 21
- Self Employed Self Assessment: Capital Allowance and Car Lease/HP 161 1
- Where did it go? 360 2
- CTA study material 654
- Anyone have clients that use Pay4Later to offer customers credit? 397
- Employment related securities question 250
- ATED Penalties 226
- AIM Stocks and IHT 204
- Tax Relief for overseas employees 174
- Trust for Employee 161
- Expat pension contributions? 153
- Staff accommodation without a rental value or RV 138
- Quickbooks losing VAT return data 108