Nasty loose ends on company closure
Young company, always loss-making, is wound up. Formed by A as sole director and shareholder, but funded as a loan by a company owned by A's friend, B.
Upon winding up B wrote to A writing-off the full value of the debt.
After settling with all other creditors there was some money left in the bank and on closure of the account A paid it to himself.
Some time elapsed before B got wind that there had been some cash left and began to make things a little uncomfortable for A.
A decided that for a quiet life he would make a payment to B.
The question: Is it right to take the payment to B into account when calculating A's personal tax liability, bearing in mind that he seems to be under no contractual obligation to have made it?
Thanks in advance for your comments.
- Which software for practice books? 300 7
- Company Car Purchased in Name of Director 115 2
- Concerned about RTI 2014 1,619 33
- Accountant software 283 7
- Accountant Pays Clients Tax 438 7
- HMRC SPAM AGAIN 67 1
- No Prrof of Posting of Tax Return sent by Post 415 13
- Can pre-registration vat be reclaimed? 221 4
- Playstation 4 - Allowable expense or not? 1,878 22
- Mileage and Corportation Tax 67 1
- Renting property to yourself 308 8
- Definition of "Ultimate Controlling Party" FRS 8 384 16
- Consolidation and subsidiaries with different period ends 98 4
- register as self employed? 120 2
- Who owns SAGE Data? 138 1
- VAT enquiry 86 1
- Write off of former director's loan 227 4
- A previous partnership, a dispute and their conduct now 258 4
- Capital gain or not? 146 3
- EC VAT 161 5
- Desperately seeking Susan, Sam or anyone with any other name 638
- CIS to 5/10/13 and HMRC Computer issue 485
- Experience with Islamic investor following Sharia-compliant rules? 451
- Darwinpay Partnership Assessment 276
- How to format a stock book 232
- S464A Charge to tax: conferring benefit & BIK 195
- Foreign income on Self Assesment 183
- Tax efficient holding company structure 174
- Investment property company accounts template 162
- Outlook 2007 with business contact manager not loading on new laptop 154