Client Chip shop
Commenced Oct 2009
First accounts March 2010
First records brought in very late January 2011 and SAR completed just in time.
In February wrote to client advising that it would appear that they were very close to vat limit and advised them to monitor and register if necessary.
Records for March 2011 brought in 27th January 2012. I couldnt get return in so accounts completed last week in advance of increased filing penalties.
Turnover £72k so should have registered.
Sent accounts for approval with advce that the client should assess when he should have registered then make full disclosure to HM R&C and register. Also advised that if they were only trading at marginally above the limit they may consider reducing opening hours to get back below and deregister.
Client brought accounts back early this week despondent and kicking himself because he was looking at the limit from April 2011 £73k so he'd "got it wrong".
He asked if he could not "have made a mistake in his takings". I stopped him and told him this was out of the question. There followed a lot of silence and mutterings then he said he would have another look at the records and he had a friend who was an accountant and he may be able to help. He took everything away and said he would get back to me. He didnt.
I just rang him and he said "its ok its going in today".
Well what do I do? I've no proof of what has happened but it has a very bad smell.
- Land Opt to Tax - VAT scope 41 2
- Tax on Bitcoin gains in hands of individual 91 2
- Playstation 4 - Allowable expense or not? 2,063 24
- Dividend paid to non-shareholder 288 8
- Write off of former director's loan 365 8
- What aspects of accountancy/book-keeping most trouble people 219 4
- VAT on part of a closed pub 206 13
- Is anyone a member of National Accountancy Network? 125 2
- Foreign income on Self Assesment 255 4
- Property versus Trade in a Ltd Company 187 6
- Fee agreed but client disagrees on amount 227 1
- How do I clear transaction history - Sage 50 v9 176 3
- Dispensation pointless ? 316 5
- Whats the best way to keep my accounts? 220 6
- SME Direct Debit 686 11
- Accountant software 449 13
- Accounting jobs in the UK 174 2
- CIS gross status review 129 1
- Notes needed for a new partner in an LLP 135 2
- Dividend payments to spouses 388 6
- Desperately seeking Susan, Sam or anyone with any other name 767
- Experience with Islamic investor following Sharia-compliant rules? 487
- Darwinpay Partnership Assessment 303
- How to format a stock book 268
- S464A Charge to tax: conferring benefit & BIK 219
- Tax efficient holding company structure 207
- Outlook 2007 with business contact manager not loading on new laptop 199
- Investment property company accounts template 192
- auto enrolment - calculation of first pension deduction 176
- Sage 50 Customer Statements and Running Balances 165