Client Chip shop
Commenced Oct 2009
First accounts March 2010
First records brought in very late January 2011 and SAR completed just in time.
In February wrote to client advising that it would appear that they were very close to vat limit and advised them to monitor and register if necessary.
Records for March 2011 brought in 27th January 2012. I couldnt get return in so accounts completed last week in advance of increased filing penalties.
Turnover £72k so should have registered.
Sent accounts for approval with advce that the client should assess when he should have registered then make full disclosure to HM R&C and register. Also advised that if they were only trading at marginally above the limit they may consider reducing opening hours to get back below and deregister.
Client brought accounts back early this week despondent and kicking himself because he was looking at the limit from April 2011 £73k so he'd "got it wrong".
He asked if he could not "have made a mistake in his takings". I stopped him and told him this was out of the question. There followed a lot of silence and mutterings then he said he would have another look at the records and he had a friend who was an accountant and he may be able to help. He took everything away and said he would get back to me. He didnt.
I just rang him and he said "its ok its going in today".
Well what do I do? I've no proof of what has happened but it has a very bad smell.
- Company overdue but wants to be struck off 681 24
- Renting for military reasons 109 2
- Letting relief on property transferred to a spouse 73 2
- Flat rate Vat Scheme & Vat on wholesale production of Cakes and other deserts 50 3
- HMRC overreaching its powers -again against a small surveying firm? 240 7
- Cleaners wages at small church -PAYE or self employed ? 1,452 18
- 2013/14 failure to submit end of year submission 156 8
- Accounting for a finance lease 88 3
- A change from the old Q v NQ debate 1,528 39
- Moneysoft Payroll Windows 8.1 Woes - Help! 1,019 18
- SA302's anyone?? 453 15
- Deed of variation on a will & effect on tax returns 94 2
- Sale of house with planning permission - tax free? 100 1
- VAT code for invoice from not VAT registered company 214 3
- do i pay vat when buying a business 479 25
- Auto enrolment for one or two director companies 1,967 30
- Tax status of prizes 304 17
- Clogged Losses 241 4
- Import Sales Invoices into Sage Instant 306 5
- Are Sage finally getting it's act together? 254 2
- Skandia using wrong address 1,612
- Nil Rate Band Trust - index linked debt by way of charge over property 894
- International interest certificate 503
- NOVA 366
- Have we escaped Gift with Reservation of Benfit & Pre-owned asset charges? - Gift after benefit 277
- Bonus Bonds 257
- Management expenses for investment company 256
- Help with tax codes on Sage 204
- Entertainer withholding tax in Australia 168
- tax on apprenticeship income 161