Client Chip shop
Commenced Oct 2009
First accounts March 2010
First records brought in very late January 2011 and SAR completed just in time.
In February wrote to client advising that it would appear that they were very close to vat limit and advised them to monitor and register if necessary.
Records for March 2011 brought in 27th January 2012. I couldnt get return in so accounts completed last week in advance of increased filing penalties.
Turnover £72k so should have registered.
Sent accounts for approval with advce that the client should assess when he should have registered then make full disclosure to HM R&C and register. Also advised that if they were only trading at marginally above the limit they may consider reducing opening hours to get back below and deregister.
Client brought accounts back early this week despondent and kicking himself because he was looking at the limit from April 2011 £73k so he'd "got it wrong".
He asked if he could not "have made a mistake in his takings". I stopped him and told him this was out of the question. There followed a lot of silence and mutterings then he said he would have another look at the records and he had a friend who was an accountant and he may be able to help. He took everything away and said he would get back to me. He didnt.
I just rang him and he said "its ok its going in today".
Well what do I do? I've no proof of what has happened but it has a very bad smell.
- Lease 54 2
- Do most of you still use MS Office? 1,219 20
- Thin Client recomendation 171 3
- Mileage allowance payment via payroll 165 5
- Payroll error by client on Moneysoft 117 4
- Digita Hosted Software 373 2
- VAT Office Grimsby 101 2
- Suggested tips to become a better accountant? 359 8
- Stock Valuation when a partner dies 87 2
- format cell to exclude decimals 281 15
- Inheritance Tax and the 7 Year rule for property as a gift 113 2
- ethical- to continue to act or not? 1,260 15
- Homing sandwiches 830 19
- Flat rate VAT- other income calculation 240 2
- SUSPECTED OR INVALID BENEFIT FRAUD 217 2
- Client needs a UK tax residency certificate for Spanish tax authorities 97 2
- IT advisory questions? 409 11
- Direct debit entry query 154 4
- Moneysoft and People's Pension 802 12
- Can you help me spot errors? 231 2
- Auto enrolment excuses 1,295
- Feedback on accounts production software for IFRS 846
- Add T&Cs to Sales Order in Sage 537
- Credit where credit's due....... 331
- Buying goods in US and selling them to company in US 251
- TheTax Donut 216
- Double taxation relief - same income, different individual 179
- Semi retired FCA or equivalent 165
- Director's business mileage 142
- Sole trader CPD 137