Client Chip shop
Commenced Oct 2009
First accounts March 2010
First records brought in very late January 2011 and SAR completed just in time.
In February wrote to client advising that it would appear that they were very close to vat limit and advised them to monitor and register if necessary.
Records for March 2011 brought in 27th January 2012. I couldnt get return in so accounts completed last week in advance of increased filing penalties.
Turnover £72k so should have registered.
Sent accounts for approval with advce that the client should assess when he should have registered then make full disclosure to HM R&C and register. Also advised that if they were only trading at marginally above the limit they may consider reducing opening hours to get back below and deregister.
Client brought accounts back early this week despondent and kicking himself because he was looking at the limit from April 2011 £73k so he'd "got it wrong".
He asked if he could not "have made a mistake in his takings". I stopped him and told him this was out of the question. There followed a lot of silence and mutterings then he said he would have another look at the records and he had a friend who was an accountant and he may be able to help. He took everything away and said he would get back to me. He didnt.
I just rang him and he said "its ok its going in today".
Well what do I do? I've no proof of what has happened but it has a very bad smell.
- S455 and February year ends 53 2
- Taxation of sinking fund contributions 335 3
- RTI offline? 42 1
- Right To Manage Company 209 4
- Day allowance working in Qatar 96 1
- S.455 Tax again 211 1
- Marriage Allowance 55 1
- Giving shares away 259 6
- Entrepreneurs relief after enhancement 588 5
- No PAYE Registration but need auto enrolment 317 7
- Incorporate to utilise dividend allowance next year? 182 5
- HMRC having technical difficulties 599 15
- Closing down loss-making company 356 4
- Where to post pension on sa100 152 4
- IR 35 Company - Timing issue 264 2
- Rent a Relief for small husband and wife run guesthouse 718 5
- VAT disaggregation 229 3
- What are HMRC implying? 640 2
- Ltd Company CIS Repayments 135 2
- Unequal share tenant in common 115 1