Client Chip shop
Commenced Oct 2009
First accounts March 2010
First records brought in very late January 2011 and SAR completed just in time.
In February wrote to client advising that it would appear that they were very close to vat limit and advised them to monitor and register if necessary.
Records for March 2011 brought in 27th January 2012. I couldnt get return in so accounts completed last week in advance of increased filing penalties.
Turnover £72k so should have registered.
Sent accounts for approval with advce that the client should assess when he should have registered then make full disclosure to HM R&C and register. Also advised that if they were only trading at marginally above the limit they may consider reducing opening hours to get back below and deregister.
Client brought accounts back early this week despondent and kicking himself because he was looking at the limit from April 2011 £73k so he'd "got it wrong".
He asked if he could not "have made a mistake in his takings". I stopped him and told him this was out of the question. There followed a lot of silence and mutterings then he said he would have another look at the records and he had a friend who was an accountant and he may be able to help. He took everything away and said he would get back to me. He didnt.
I just rang him and he said "its ok its going in today".
Well what do I do? I've no proof of what has happened but it has a very bad smell.
- can I approach clients ? 105 5
- Film Actors - Averaging? 253 8
- Charities and VAT? 121 6
- Do sole traders qualify for tax relief at source on pension contributions? 54 1
- BrightPay 867 25
- New Practice - Accounting Software 3,404 87
- Goodie bag 1,281 48
- Budget 2015 predictions 485 12
- Transfer of properties to a limited company stamp duty 268 11
- Directors loan - no longer a director 503 10
- CIS monthly returns 57 1
- We contribute a percentage of employees' salaries to a pension scheme set up by them - do we need to get involved in auto-enrolment? 526 6
- Husband Wife let property 293 7
- Secure document exchange 500 5
- Paying Harvest casuals and casual beaters 158 2
- VAT registration 77 1
- Quickbooks Online 173 3
- Awkward shareholder (sister) 475 4
- Dividends against directors loan 141 1
- Sponsorship/ Advertising 136 1
- Possible Partnership? 631
- Tax and accounting treatment on long lease granted from freehold 511
- New Fangled Penalties 436
- Fuming! 341
- Purchase of property freehold - capitalisation of costs 312
- Charity dissolution and newly merged charity 249
- Outsource Data Entry 229
- Lenovo – Superfish & Komodia – is your PC vulnerable 228
- Moving away from CCH software 217
- Do I need a US Tax Identification Number to complete W-8BEN-E? 169