Client Chip shop
Commenced Oct 2009
First accounts March 2010
First records brought in very late January 2011 and SAR completed just in time.
In February wrote to client advising that it would appear that they were very close to vat limit and advised them to monitor and register if necessary.
Records for March 2011 brought in 27th January 2012. I couldnt get return in so accounts completed last week in advance of increased filing penalties.
Turnover £72k so should have registered.
Sent accounts for approval with advce that the client should assess when he should have registered then make full disclosure to HM R&C and register. Also advised that if they were only trading at marginally above the limit they may consider reducing opening hours to get back below and deregister.
Client brought accounts back early this week despondent and kicking himself because he was looking at the limit from April 2011 £73k so he'd "got it wrong".
He asked if he could not "have made a mistake in his takings". I stopped him and told him this was out of the question. There followed a lot of silence and mutterings then he said he would have another look at the records and he had a friend who was an accountant and he may be able to help. He took everything away and said he would get back to me. He didnt.
I just rang him and he said "its ok its going in today".
Well what do I do? I've no proof of what has happened but it has a very bad smell.
- Need some help on importing procedures and VAT 62 1
- Auto Enrolment - Director Only Answer 1,435 21
- New ACCOUNTINGQUESTIONS website launching 74 1
- JUDGE FRAUD ALERT 79 2
- I have let a client go as it wasnt worth the hassle, 2,038 19
- TaxCalc - A Return to Form 382 6
- Should a non trustee sign Scottish charity accounts? 125 1
- How do we get US withholding tax back? 191 3
- CIS Subcontractor Catch Twenty Two Position after 14 years 111 1
- FPS or EPS 133 2
- Can I record depreciation, prepayments and accrued expenses in cash accounting? 260 3
- Continuity of Practice 189 2
- IRIS Professional Yearend 121 2
- Letting Agents - requirement for audit of clients accounts 311 10
- Scams are not always obvious 2,208 34
- Financial statements accounting policies 245 5
- Does Members voluntary liquidation require change of year end 161 3
- Market Value/Connected Persons 297 10
- Online Downtime 337 4
- P60 from HMRC Basic Paye Tools 332 3
- Moving away from CCH software 948
- QROP pension input amounts 437
- write off loan or loan to equity swap or both 380
- HMRC BENCHMARK EXPENSES 355
- Unused Losses and Post Cessation Receipts 323
- fraud 283
- EIS relief on transferring shares to spouse 252
- Sole trade business in UK, but the owner works from EU 223
- Construction CIS LLP Company 210
- EPS and CIS deductions 196