Client Chip shop
Commenced Oct 2009
First accounts March 2010
First records brought in very late January 2011 and SAR completed just in time.
In February wrote to client advising that it would appear that they were very close to vat limit and advised them to monitor and register if necessary.
Records for March 2011 brought in 27th January 2012. I couldnt get return in so accounts completed last week in advance of increased filing penalties.
Turnover £72k so should have registered.
Sent accounts for approval with advce that the client should assess when he should have registered then make full disclosure to HM R&C and register. Also advised that if they were only trading at marginally above the limit they may consider reducing opening hours to get back below and deregister.
Client brought accounts back early this week despondent and kicking himself because he was looking at the limit from April 2011 £73k so he'd "got it wrong".
He asked if he could not "have made a mistake in his takings". I stopped him and told him this was out of the question. There followed a lot of silence and mutterings then he said he would have another look at the records and he had a friend who was an accountant and he may be able to help. He took everything away and said he would get back to me. He didnt.
I just rang him and he said "its ok its going in today".
Well what do I do? I've no proof of what has happened but it has a very bad smell.
- One off meeting new client 1,231 11
- PPR CGT section 222 builds an extension 125 2
- Leaving Flat Rate Scheme for VAT 332 9
- PITA client 449 5
- R&D tax credit claim 288 7
- Legal Advice Needed Bank Account Blocked 649 10
- Have I dropped a major clanger? 1,234 20
- Child tax credits 130 2
- Deaf clients 615 6
- rental income since 2003 117 1
- first year company tax return for a limited company 1,692 29
- DEATH OF A SHAREHOLDER NO SHAREHOLDER AGREEMENT 416 10
- Can I take action against my accountant for incompetence? 2,269 54
- Entrepreneurs relief available? 549 12
- ACCA Cert/Dip in IFRS 96 1
- Estate agent and VAT registration 241 4
- Sole-trader renting commmercial property from himself & spouse. 232 4
- Peer to Peer lending 1,083 8
- Small company audit 353 9
- Should VAT be charged when land is transferred as part of a TOGC 130 2
- Property exchange - 8-year legal delay following fall-out 614
- Cancelled 358
- SAGE Payroll Data for Import to MS Dynamics AX 339
- Cancelled 293
- Have you staged yet for auto enrolment? 270
- Probiz 260
- VAT on non-profit making clubs (ECJ VS West Dorset Golf Club) 223
- Free-standing washing machine - unfurnished lettings 207
- Phishing emails purporting to be from CIPFA? 194
- Car leasing scheme 193