Client Chip shop
Commenced Oct 2009
First accounts March 2010
First records brought in very late January 2011 and SAR completed just in time.
In February wrote to client advising that it would appear that they were very close to vat limit and advised them to monitor and register if necessary.
Records for March 2011 brought in 27th January 2012. I couldnt get return in so accounts completed last week in advance of increased filing penalties.
Turnover £72k so should have registered.
Sent accounts for approval with advce that the client should assess when he should have registered then make full disclosure to HM R&C and register. Also advised that if they were only trading at marginally above the limit they may consider reducing opening hours to get back below and deregister.
Client brought accounts back early this week despondent and kicking himself because he was looking at the limit from April 2011 £73k so he'd "got it wrong".
He asked if he could not "have made a mistake in his takings". I stopped him and told him this was out of the question. There followed a lot of silence and mutterings then he said he would have another look at the records and he had a friend who was an accountant and he may be able to help. He took everything away and said he would get back to me. He didnt.
I just rang him and he said "its ok its going in today".
Well what do I do? I've no proof of what has happened but it has a very bad smell.
- How can customer service quality vary between the basic pension firms? 341 4
- What is the best, tax efficient way to sell 40% shares in your start-up business for approx £1m 317 4
- Direct Debit - no receipts 282 5
- Any Scottish members out there? 11,939 449
- What is the role of an accountant? 1,757 23
- VAT and gap in trading of uncertain length 130 1
- About to buy a block of fees. Any advice? 1,724 10
- Is there an expert in Excel out there? 553 9
- What code do you put expenses under such as tea & coffee? 314 6
- Now Scotland has voted "No", when does England get to vote? 1,338 63
- Freehold or Investment Property 108 1
- Excel: MATCH does not match two apparently identical cells 858 8
- capital gains on PPR 287 14
- Treatment of goodwill in Consolidation 383 14
- Claiming depreciation on a company vehicle 249 7
- Company expansion 135 1
- Do I need a 13digit tax ref for a ct600 403 6
- Pension Contributions Relief 516 15
- 100% Xero practice 2,488 46
- Fees for Property Tax Return 292 6
- Raiders of the Lost Tax File 1,321
- Chartered Accountant in County Down N.Ireland 482
- National Insurance 374
- Non Resident 298
- Franchise income and costs 265
- Hands on experience of Digita 218
- Best way to take money from a business if you have unlimited EIS allowances? 192
- Employer's Helpline 168
- employment capital allowances 165
- CIS paid under reg 9 160