Negligible value assets
I understand that where an assets has become worthless the buyer can claim loss relief by having sold and immediately required at market value (s 24(2) TCGA 1992) however i have had no experience in doing this claim.
I have been on the HMRC site to look at the list of quoted shares that they have http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/cgt/negvalist.htm and the company that i am interested in is not on there, the company is the well known enron.
A client of mine has a high number of enron shares and wishes to make a negligible value claim.
I have contacted HMRC and they have advised that i can either do this on the Self Assessment return or prior to this filling out a CG34 Form, by filling out the form they will provide if it is a negligible value claim and the supposed amount.
Has anyone had any experience they could offer me
If he makes a claim in the 2011/12 tax year will the loss carry forward forever or is there a time limit (if there is a time limit, it may be worth waiting a few years until he can relieve the loss against an expected gain in the future)
Any guidance on this would be very much appreciated.
- Childcare vouchers 329 7
- LTD home office - would HMRC seek to disallow 1,397 9
- Anyone else still working this week? 383 12
- Using home as clients registered address 99 3
- Client being taken to court and really do not know what to do 505 12
- Section 165 TCGA 1992 - time limit? 97 2
- How much does the company pay 693 30
- AIA 283 18
- Van Benefit in Kind Query 173 5
- THEATRE SHOW - HIRE - VAT PAYABLE ON TICKET SALES 47 1
- 10 Worst xmas presents for an accountant 240 2
- I have done a terrible thing 773 15
- HMRC property income enquiry 357 8
- Not paying accountant 1,865 46
- Cash basis VAT return 97 1
- VAT on Business Premises 95 2
- Consolidation Software 145 2
- New Incorporations - ERTNAC hoax - anyone else seen this? 1,037 11
- Accountancy practices - are you closed over Christmas or do you let your staff take it off? 1,208 32
- LLp Profits 142 5
- Accounting referance change & deficient accounts. 504
- corporate hierarchy 467
- Advice - 320
- Anyone had HMRC refusing to act on EPS database glitch? 268
- WWOOFers 260
- The booking.com con 243
- Art Gallery - Splitting a property between business and personal use 237
- Cocaine anyone? 222
- Tax liabilities in USA for warehoused products 215
- UK State pension paid in NZ 176