Negligible value assets
I understand that where an assets has become worthless the buyer can claim loss relief by having sold and immediately required at market value (s 24(2) TCGA 1992) however i have had no experience in doing this claim.
I have been on the HMRC site to look at the list of quoted shares that they have http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/cgt/negvalist.htm and the company that i am interested in is not on there, the company is the well known enron.
A client of mine has a high number of enron shares and wishes to make a negligible value claim.
I have contacted HMRC and they have advised that i can either do this on the Self Assessment return or prior to this filling out a CG34 Form, by filling out the form they will provide if it is a negligible value claim and the supposed amount.
Has anyone had any experience they could offer me
If he makes a claim in the 2011/12 tax year will the loss carry forward forever or is there a time limit (if there is a time limit, it may be worth waiting a few years until he can relieve the loss against an expected gain in the future)
Any guidance on this would be very much appreciated.
- Failure to operate PAYE 1,887 32
- Telemarketing 80 3
- Partnership Tax Return £100 penalty-was a tax return due in this case? 415 10
- Budget 2015 predictions 75 1
- Pass-through costs - show gross or net under UK GAAP / IFRS? 88 1
- Non domicile swiss bank 114 2
- New tax codes for ex-employees 102 1
- Husband Wife let property 70 1
- Tennants in Common - Changing % Share 72 1
- Gift between companies 100 2
- Physiotherapy And Vat 107 2
- Vat reclaim on invoice payable over 4 years 446 6
- Directors loan - no longer a director 256 2
- Why .... 688 8
- Does anyone know how to deal with crowd funding income 932 9
- NI Contributions in order to claim state pension 537 12
- We contribute a percentage of employees' salaries to a pension scheme set up by them - do we need to get involved in auto-enrolment? 430 5
- PPR for non-residents after 05 Apr 2015 272 6
- Relevant life plan 302 7
- Flat Rate Job Expenses 154 2
- Possible Partnership? 587
- Tax and accounting treatment on long lease granted from freehold 496
- New Fangled Penalties 400
- Clubs and Taxable Income 322
- Purchase of property freehold - capitalisation of costs 293
- Closed PAYE schemes and auto enrolment 246
- Loans to other companies 240
- Lenovo – Superfish & Komodia – is your PC vulnerable 208
- Outsource Data Entry 198
- Moving away from CCH software 195