Negligible value assets
I understand that where an assets has become worthless the buyer can claim loss relief by having sold and immediately required at market value (s 24(2) TCGA 1992) however i have had no experience in doing this claim.
I have been on the HMRC site to look at the list of quoted shares that they have http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/cgt/negvalist.htm and the company that i am interested in is not on there, the company is the well known enron.
A client of mine has a high number of enron shares and wishes to make a negligible value claim.
I have contacted HMRC and they have advised that i can either do this on the Self Assessment return or prior to this filling out a CG34 Form, by filling out the form they will provide if it is a negligible value claim and the supposed amount.
Has anyone had any experience they could offer me
If he makes a claim in the 2011/12 tax year will the loss carry forward forever or is there a time limit (if there is a time limit, it may be worth waiting a few years until he can relieve the loss against an expected gain in the future)
Any guidance on this would be very much appreciated.
- Importing data into CCH AP 31 1
- Simple Ltd company accounts service 166 7
- Self employment trap - pension 151 2
- How much did you pay for your website 252 10
- Tax Allowance on University Course 980 5
- Mixed partnerships - new rules 218 3
- Donaldson v HMRC - result?? 1,042 12
- Does anybody still use a Filofax? 1,233 31
- Would this fall into IR35 146 3
- Charging for book-keeping on a 'per transaction' basis 649 17
- ECSL 181 3
- Company Pension Contributions 57 1
- Let Property Campaign 292 5
- New Club 125 2
- Company Accounts - Limited company 432 4
- I hate HMRC's voice recognition system - The Inept Interrogator 1,599 28
- Who can I refer leads to? 1,242 17
- DTL adjustement in P &L 208 5
- Preparing a consolidated TB 80 1
- Computers & Network Depreciation 170 3
- DTR : TIOPA 2010 Section 42 581
- CTA study material 574
- Anyone have clients that use Pay4Later to offer customers credit? 345
- Taxation of partners in an LLP following new rules 268
- Employment related securities question 211
- CCJ and Shareholder/ Director ramifications 181
- Foreign Business setting up in UK 180
- ATED Penalties 178
- AIM Stocks and IHT 165
- Foreign Premium Distributions 135