Negligible value assets
I understand that where an assets has become worthless the buyer can claim loss relief by having sold and immediately required at market value (s 24(2) TCGA 1992) however i have had no experience in doing this claim.
I have been on the HMRC site to look at the list of quoted shares that they have http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/cgt/negvalist.htm and the company that i am interested in is not on there, the company is the well known enron.
A client of mine has a high number of enron shares and wishes to make a negligible value claim.
I have contacted HMRC and they have advised that i can either do this on the Self Assessment return or prior to this filling out a CG34 Form, by filling out the form they will provide if it is a negligible value claim and the supposed amount.
Has anyone had any experience they could offer me
If he makes a claim in the 2011/12 tax year will the loss carry forward forever or is there a time limit (if there is a time limit, it may be worth waiting a few years until he can relieve the loss against an expected gain in the future)
Any guidance on this would be very much appreciated.
- to VAT or not to VAT 46 2
- Unclaimed customer balance 72 3
- Processing RTI whilst on holiday 2,794 46
- Awkward insolvency practitioner 313 3
- What's the plural? 521 11
- Self Employed travel 302 7
- Accounting Crew 607 13
- Company Secretarial Software 1,240 26
- Resigning as only director 1,047 10
- Loan interest rental property 114 3
- Life assurance gains anomoly?? 208 1
- Payroll charges when raw data not reliable 540 7
- Mathematical conundrum on loan repayments 469 5
- Exactly which business miles can I claim from my employer? 192 10
- Opinions and advice needed 152 3
- Director salary from company limited by guarantee 73 1
- Complete business outside UK 69 1
- Builder - Roll over relief 338 15
- Goodwill receipt 317 7
- Sage training course 282 8
- Proposed Amendments to IAS 1 565
- Property exchange - 8-year legal delay following fall-out 421
- Accounting for Insurance Premium Financing 321
- IFA incorporation 291
- Mortgage interest claim on Buy to let hic up 286
- Can the receivers fees be allowed for tax? 276
- Moving into own BTL property - allowable costs 243
- SAGE Payroll Data for Import to MS Dynamics AX 230
- Will Ni be payable on the salary I receive abroad ? 213
- Cancelled 168