Negligible value assets
I understand that where an assets has become worthless the buyer can claim loss relief by having sold and immediately required at market value (s 24(2) TCGA 1992) however i have had no experience in doing this claim.
I have been on the HMRC site to look at the list of quoted shares that they have http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/cgt/negvalist.htm and the company that i am interested in is not on there, the company is the well known enron.
A client of mine has a high number of enron shares and wishes to make a negligible value claim.
I have contacted HMRC and they have advised that i can either do this on the Self Assessment return or prior to this filling out a CG34 Form, by filling out the form they will provide if it is a negligible value claim and the supposed amount.
Has anyone had any experience they could offer me
If he makes a claim in the 2011/12 tax year will the loss carry forward forever or is there a time limit (if there is a time limit, it may be worth waiting a few years until he can relieve the loss against an expected gain in the future)
Any guidance on this would be very much appreciated.
- Fee protection 949 19
- Payroll systems 413 8
- View on Absolute Accounts Integrated vs PTP vs IRIS 173 3
- dividend 219 12
- overdrawn directors loan 266 6
- Irish Taxation 169 6
- Employee becoming shareholder - can salary be reduced with compensating dividends? 35 1
- Incorporation and goodwill 101 2
- RTI and s18 ITEPA 196 3
- Advertising with Hibu nee Yell (Yellow Pages) 270 4
- What happens to the director's loan if the company was to go into liquidation? 105 1
- Telephone call from "Xero" 453 5
- Error on SA Tax Return 141 3
- Purchase of shares in a Limited Company 154 5
- Repairs or Improvement? 260 5
- Credit Card Payment - What are we required to do? 203 3
- Now the phishers have baited their hooks with SAGE 335 2
- Self assessment tax arrears 523 6
- Drector renting room to company 117 1
- Off site storage 174 5
- Xtuple 568
- Qtac payroll for bureau 388
- Confused - Professional Association a Mutual trader, or not? 344
- Domain name sale and limited company 238
- Can a small company buy a painting as an investment? 214
- Italian friend wants to set up a UK company to reduce taxes 212
- Director legal fees in loose connection to the company 212
- Multiple bodies and practicing certificates 184
- Tax on damages received 183
- Temporary non residence and CGT on non-UK asset 152