Negligible value assets
I understand that where an assets has become worthless the buyer can claim loss relief by having sold and immediately required at market value (s 24(2) TCGA 1992) however i have had no experience in doing this claim.
I have been on the HMRC site to look at the list of quoted shares that they have http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/cgt/negvalist.htm and the company that i am interested in is not on there, the company is the well known enron.
A client of mine has a high number of enron shares and wishes to make a negligible value claim.
I have contacted HMRC and they have advised that i can either do this on the Self Assessment return or prior to this filling out a CG34 Form, by filling out the form they will provide if it is a negligible value claim and the supposed amount.
Has anyone had any experience they could offer me
If he makes a claim in the 2011/12 tax year will the loss carry forward forever or is there a time limit (if there is a time limit, it may be worth waiting a few years until he can relieve the loss against an expected gain in the future)
Any guidance on this would be very much appreciated.
- VAT flat rate scheme 23 1
- Can I record depreciation, prepayments and accrued expenses in cash accounting? 263 4
- Need some help on importing procedures and VAT 67 1
- Auto Enrolment - Director Only Answer 1,436 21
- New ACCOUNTINGQUESTIONS website launching 92 1
- JUDGE FRAUD ALERT 92 2
- I have let a client go as it wasnt worth the hassle, 2,045 19
- TaxCalc - A Return to Form 384 6
- Should a non trustee sign Scottish charity accounts? 125 1
- How do we get US withholding tax back? 192 3
- CIS Subcontractor Catch Twenty Two Position after 14 years 119 1
- FPS or EPS 135 2
- Continuity of Practice 190 2
- IRIS Professional Yearend 122 2
- Letting Agents - requirement for audit of clients accounts 312 10
- Scams are not always obvious 2,208 34
- Financial statements accounting policies 245 5
- Does Members voluntary liquidation require change of year end 161 3
- Market Value/Connected Persons 299 10
- Online Downtime 337 4
- Moving away from CCH software 949
- QROP pension input amounts 437
- write off loan or loan to equity swap or both 380
- HMRC BENCHMARK EXPENSES 355
- Unused Losses and Post Cessation Receipts 323
- fraud 283
- EIS relief on transferring shares to spouse 252
- Sole trade business in UK, but the owner works from EU 223
- Construction CIS LLP Company 210
- EPS and CIS deductions 197