Negligible value assets
I understand that where an assets has become worthless the buyer can claim loss relief by having sold and immediately required at market value (s 24(2) TCGA 1992) however i have had no experience in doing this claim.
I have been on the HMRC site to look at the list of quoted shares that they have http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/cgt/negvalist.htm and the company that i am interested in is not on there, the company is the well known enron.
A client of mine has a high number of enron shares and wishes to make a negligible value claim.
I have contacted HMRC and they have advised that i can either do this on the Self Assessment return or prior to this filling out a CG34 Form, by filling out the form they will provide if it is a negligible value claim and the supposed amount.
Has anyone had any experience they could offer me
If he makes a claim in the 2011/12 tax year will the loss carry forward forever or is there a time limit (if there is a time limit, it may be worth waiting a few years until he can relieve the loss against an expected gain in the future)
Any guidance on this would be very much appreciated.
- Tax deductable portion of home rental cost 187 9
- JIEB Exams 129 1
- RTI 83 1
- Christmas party 95 1
- Am i Liable? 100 4
- Fee agreed but client disagrees on amount 737 10
- Checking a contract 289 8
- Flat Rate Scheme 309 15
- Altered PAYE cheque 227 5
- deleting customers on Sage 50 156 7
- VAT on garage rent 322 14
- Value-shifting 62 1
- Pattern for CTA 206 4
- Debiting private use proportion to directors loan account 448 18
- SDLT exemptions/reliefs 83 2
- Incorrect Accounts. Is it worth taking action against the old accountant? 223 3
- Film Partnership Enquiries - am I just unlucky? 239 5
- EBT 177 1
- Giving a seminar 528 28
- Joint Filing Help 110 1
- Desperately seeking Susan, Sam or anyone with any other name 1,207
- Experience with Islamic investor following Sharia-compliant rules? 607
- Darwinpay Partnership Assessment 405
- S464A Charge to tax: conferring benefit & BIK 313
- Bank interest in 'near' facility recall situation 192
- Agent fees to sell business 188
- Alphabet shares 188
- ACCA continuity of practice arrangement needed 181
- Quirky thread of the year: Community Awards 173
- VAT codes In Sage. Am I correct? 162