Negligible value assets
I understand that where an assets has become worthless the buyer can claim loss relief by having sold and immediately required at market value (s 24(2) TCGA 1992) however i have had no experience in doing this claim.
I have been on the HMRC site to look at the list of quoted shares that they have http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/cgt/negvalist.htm and the company that i am interested in is not on there, the company is the well known enron.
A client of mine has a high number of enron shares and wishes to make a negligible value claim.
I have contacted HMRC and they have advised that i can either do this on the Self Assessment return or prior to this filling out a CG34 Form, by filling out the form they will provide if it is a negligible value claim and the supposed amount.
Has anyone had any experience they could offer me
If he makes a claim in the 2011/12 tax year will the loss carry forward forever or is there a time limit (if there is a time limit, it may be worth waiting a few years until he can relieve the loss against an expected gain in the future)
Any guidance on this would be very much appreciated.
- Where do Balance Sheet Gains get recognised in CT600? 883 42
- Tier One Tribunal 97 7
- Is cloud accounting software all just pie in the sky 799 26
- Prompt Payment Discount (PPD) Vat 2015 - CREDIT PRIOR INVOICE 109 1
- Pooled cars legislation unfairly punitive 64 2
- New starter not showing on RTI FPS submission (MoneySoft payroll) 244 5
- Working in Iraq, how to treat the income 125 2
- Another transfer of property 121 2
- VAT on non-denominated postage 209 7
- Taxi Plate & Car 96 1
- How can i allow my clients to digitally sign? 565 11
- LEL and PAYE registration 92 1
- Employmnet Allowance 2015/2016 167 2
- Tax refunds for 2014/15 180 1
- Tax relief for networking day out? 556 14
- SA316s 220 3
- Swiching tax 544 15
- Proposal to strike off...... 532 10
- Can I recharge Car loan interest 393 11
- Start-up cost recognition 130 1
- Construction CIS LLP Company 612
- Services via intermediaries and new HMRC reporting requirements 594
- LIVE: Budget aftermath webinar 389
- Pensions Regulator 357
- NIC contribution on unremitted income 294
- Using the correct forms 268
- RTI - duplicate employee record 264
- SA penalty proposals 258
- Accelerated payment notices 238
- How hard is it to reduce a code? 235