Negligible value assets
I understand that where an assets has become worthless the buyer can claim loss relief by having sold and immediately required at market value (s 24(2) TCGA 1992) however i have had no experience in doing this claim.
I have been on the HMRC site to look at the list of quoted shares that they have http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/cgt/negvalist.htm and the company that i am interested in is not on there, the company is the well known enron.
A client of mine has a high number of enron shares and wishes to make a negligible value claim.
I have contacted HMRC and they have advised that i can either do this on the Self Assessment return or prior to this filling out a CG34 Form, by filling out the form they will provide if it is a negligible value claim and the supposed amount.
Has anyone had any experience they could offer me
If he makes a claim in the 2011/12 tax year will the loss carry forward forever or is there a time limit (if there is a time limit, it may be worth waiting a few years until he can relieve the loss against an expected gain in the future)
Any guidance on this would be very much appreciated.
- 40% rule for travel expenses 283 7
- Now Scotland has voted "No", when does England get to vote? 1,208 62
- capital gains on PPR 78 1
- Any Scottish members out there? 11,581 430
- Do I need a 13digit tax ref for a ct600 303 6
- Cash injection by shareholder 208 4
- Underpaid Tax Options on SE 255 8
- Private portion of costs and expenses in Accounts 402 20
- 100% Xero practice 2,380 43
- How to pursue fraudulent trading 336 5
- Treatment of goodwill in Consolidation 280 8
- PRR 316 12
- Is it more beneficial to be a Ltd company? 209 3
- corp tax software 376 7
- Pension Contributions Relief 454 14
- Is there an expert in Excel out there? 482 7
- Which tax box 203 2
- How to change reconciliation status of bank account in Sage 50 169 3
- how to start a career in accounting at 34? 287 3
- References for clients 251 2
- Raiders of the Lost Tax File 1,300
- Chartered Accountant in County Down N.Ireland 468
- National Insurance 361
- Non Resident 287
- Franchise income and costs 258
- Hands on experience of Digita 212
- Best way to take money from a business if you have unlimited EIS allowances? 174
- Employer's Helpline 160
- employment capital allowances 153
- CIS paid under reg 9 145