Negligible value assets
I understand that where an assets has become worthless the buyer can claim loss relief by having sold and immediately required at market value (s 24(2) TCGA 1992) however i have had no experience in doing this claim.
I have been on the HMRC site to look at the list of quoted shares that they have http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/cgt/negvalist.htm and the company that i am interested in is not on there, the company is the well known enron.
A client of mine has a high number of enron shares and wishes to make a negligible value claim.
I have contacted HMRC and they have advised that i can either do this on the Self Assessment return or prior to this filling out a CG34 Form, by filling out the form they will provide if it is a negligible value claim and the supposed amount.
Has anyone had any experience they could offer me
If he makes a claim in the 2011/12 tax year will the loss carry forward forever or is there a time limit (if there is a time limit, it may be worth waiting a few years until he can relieve the loss against an expected gain in the future)
Any guidance on this would be very much appreciated.
- Very large share capital by mistake 183 1
- Pay rise - how to enter in Moneysoft 354 8
- Reimbursing director travel costs 409 6
- Auto enrolment confusion 1,973 45
- Love is in the air 307 3
- I am 34 years old, am I too old to start a career in Accounting ? which is the best way to pursue it 1,679 20
- Sage Instant Accounts Complete De-install problem 239 8
- Allegedly ICAS most of us at 50 should pack up - Interesting 389 8
- Client Paperwork Retention? 496 11
- Sage 50 VAT Return 237 2
- Interest paid - do new rules affect Tax Credits? 521 1
- Paying Son 651 18
- HMRC accounting 377 3
- Employers NI allowance 458 6
- Dividend taxation 380 3
- VAT refund if only output tax on first claim 288 1
- Physiotherapist and vat and agency work ( one for Les Howard???) 189 2
- Tax Overlap Reporting 266 3
- Buy to Let Property! Shell I buy or not? 455 4
- iris update 11.9.2 454 7
- DTA tie-breaker issue 295
- Tax Implicatins on a Directors Loan 277
- CGT for NOn UK residents 274
- Employer's pension contribution - need to be PAYE registered? 267
- What are the tax implications of overseas sales through a UK based company? 247
- profit or loss on furnishings and deed of trust 235
- Apprenticeship Levy 231
- Capital Gains personal representatives 215
- Another Sneaky Tax Hike! 213
- Tenants in Common - Actual % split not written down 209