Negligible value assets
I understand that where an assets has become worthless the buyer can claim loss relief by having sold and immediately required at market value (s 24(2) TCGA 1992) however i have had no experience in doing this claim.
I have been on the HMRC site to look at the list of quoted shares that they have http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/cgt/negvalist.htm and the company that i am interested in is not on there, the company is the well known enron.
A client of mine has a high number of enron shares and wishes to make a negligible value claim.
I have contacted HMRC and they have advised that i can either do this on the Self Assessment return or prior to this filling out a CG34 Form, by filling out the form they will provide if it is a negligible value claim and the supposed amount.
Has anyone had any experience they could offer me
If he makes a claim in the 2011/12 tax year will the loss carry forward forever or is there a time limit (if there is a time limit, it may be worth waiting a few years until he can relieve the loss against an expected gain in the future)
Any guidance on this would be very much appreciated.
- Strike off after accounts submitted 33 1
- Assets requested back from supplier ? 293 4
- What is your favourite font? 377 11
- Opening Balances with very little info... 83 1
- CGT on Let Property 353 7
- When to register or not for PAYE 305 4
- Strike off 228 7
- Franchise affiliations 119 1
- Company investment 164 4
- Disclosure of 2014 corporation tax refund in 2015 accounts 94 1
- Gift to son by parents 350 3
- Is there no lower level to the work a lawyer would take on. 1,202 35
- How to find difference in Sage bank rec 166 4
- How do you pay Inheritance Tax when HMRC haven't demanded it 460 7
- New CASC rules 161 2
- Autoenrolment and variable earnings 276 2
- CIS subcontractor's invoice on QuickFile 152 4
- Treatment of private ambulances on introduction to business 256 6
- valuation of vehicles 534 20
- Settlements Legislation - Adult Children as shareholders 136 1
- RTI Rollback to delete incorrect data 342
- Any thoughts on Capium? 296
- Vouchedfor.co.uk 272
- Motor Traders Assistant Bookkeeping Programme queries 255
- Tracesmart/Lexis Nexis AML software? Any opinions? 242
- auto enrolment 218
- Sage Compatible P60's Self Seal 198
- Continuity of practice-ACCA 192
- How to account for investment in JV? 176
- Recommended International mobile phone coverage and costs? 168