Negligible value assets
I understand that where an assets has become worthless the buyer can claim loss relief by having sold and immediately required at market value (s 24(2) TCGA 1992) however i have had no experience in doing this claim.
I have been on the HMRC site to look at the list of quoted shares that they have http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/cgt/negvalist.htm and the company that i am interested in is not on there, the company is the well known enron.
A client of mine has a high number of enron shares and wishes to make a negligible value claim.
I have contacted HMRC and they have advised that i can either do this on the Self Assessment return or prior to this filling out a CG34 Form, by filling out the form they will provide if it is a negligible value claim and the supposed amount.
Has anyone had any experience they could offer me
If he makes a claim in the 2011/12 tax year will the loss carry forward forever or is there a time limit (if there is a time limit, it may be worth waiting a few years until he can relieve the loss against an expected gain in the future)
Any guidance on this would be very much appreciated.
- Contribution to charity as % of profit 184 9
- CGT on sale of Spanish property 45 1
- Incorrect CIS Invoices from Subcontractors 64 3
- SA800 Returns 127 3
- Do you lose losses on cessation 262 8
- RTI Annual Scheme 1,232 20
- Non sterling partnership profits, exchange rates and tax 48 1
- Corporation Tax 198 9
- Company name change question... 61 1
- CGT and 2nd property 936 14
- Is there a risk in helping overseas companies that have no intention of doing business in the UK 89 1
- Self Ass. Return 241 3
- Late payment payroll 165 2
- Deferred Tax 219 9
- New Boiler at Rental Property 503 6
- anyone using Office365 for practice management 822 22
- Changed Company Year End - CT Penalty 235 8
- Depreciation 404 8
- Knuckle down one week to go! 420 7
- state pension statement 223 6
- Form MR01 (Particulars of a charge) - does this need to be filed if you remortgage with the same lender? 811
- Copy Wanted 529
- Underpaid VAT assessment and relation to SATR 482
- Did you realise Google will not patch android exploit ... 472
- Latest phishing scam 320
- Entrepreneurs' relief 299
- Supply teachers and Ltd Companies 267
- Corporate LLP with 30 June Year end - How to record on SA800? 262
- Cashback for opening business bank acct = trading income? 261
- Auto Enrolment Questions Answered 166