Negligible value assets
I understand that where an assets has become worthless the buyer can claim loss relief by having sold and immediately required at market value (s 24(2) TCGA 1992) however i have had no experience in doing this claim.
I have been on the HMRC site to look at the list of quoted shares that they have http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/cgt/negvalist.htm and the company that i am interested in is not on there, the company is the well known enron.
A client of mine has a high number of enron shares and wishes to make a negligible value claim.
I have contacted HMRC and they have advised that i can either do this on the Self Assessment return or prior to this filling out a CG34 Form, by filling out the form they will provide if it is a negligible value claim and the supposed amount.
Has anyone had any experience they could offer me
If he makes a claim in the 2011/12 tax year will the loss carry forward forever or is there a time limit (if there is a time limit, it may be worth waiting a few years until he can relieve the loss against an expected gain in the future)
Any guidance on this would be very much appreciated.
- Comapny valuation qualifications 100 2
- Ex Client from over 3 years ago 283 5
- Director's tax return 351 8
- Sale of assets - availability of AIA to the purchaser 161 3
- Small employers paying people when sick thanks alot! 3,092 34
- Flat rate vat 188 2
- RTI Annual Scheme Query 180 5
- Director's current account - fuel costs and expenses 85 1
- Coming in from the cold 344 3
- Splitting the tax year 166 2
- P11d & Medical Ins 204 2
- Should design costs be capitalised? 170 4
- Submitting tax return 178 1
- Keep receiving RTI late submission notice 265 8
- Reporting no P11d due when PAYE scheme closed by HMRC 5Apr2013 140 1
- Sage Payroll 318 11
- Payroo Employer allowance query 212 6
- vat return 270 3
- Value pricing 740 26
- PAYE coding notice - deliberate misstatement 261 4
- Residential Property Purchase Above £750K 805
- Using Sage with Sofa Categories 557
- Does anyone have an unwanted ICAEW wooden plaque? 426
- Goods shipped inter EU and VAT Reporting 306
- Free Tax Legislation? 275
- Director Loan account operation 258
- transferring simply accounting 2010 from xp to windows 7 253
- Non-Resident Director - UK Tax Position? 248
- Sage 200 and Access Dimensions reviews 232
- Paye procedures for CVA 170