Negligible value assets
I understand that where an assets has become worthless the buyer can claim loss relief by having sold and immediately required at market value (s 24(2) TCGA 1992) however i have had no experience in doing this claim.
I have been on the HMRC site to look at the list of quoted shares that they have http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/cgt/negvalist.htm and the company that i am interested in is not on there, the company is the well known enron.
A client of mine has a high number of enron shares and wishes to make a negligible value claim.
I have contacted HMRC and they have advised that i can either do this on the Self Assessment return or prior to this filling out a CG34 Form, by filling out the form they will provide if it is a negligible value claim and the supposed amount.
Has anyone had any experience they could offer me
If he makes a claim in the 2011/12 tax year will the loss carry forward forever or is there a time limit (if there is a time limit, it may be worth waiting a few years until he can relieve the loss against an expected gain in the future)
Any guidance on this would be very much appreciated.
- Taxfiler - SA100 - More efficient? 628 5
- See you all on the other side 682 6
- 12Pay 448 2
- dividends 599 2
- R&D 312 1
- Quarterly Reporting - The Logistics 1,175 17
- Auto enrolment contribution rates 436 3
- How long are you waiting for appeal reply 399 4
- Borrowing money to loan to company 369 1
- Mother as Guarantor for Son's mortgage 539 5
- Seeking a tax case 637 9
- When do we qualify for state pension? 502 4
- Companies house strike off 538 3
- Tax treatment of alterations to property 419 2
- Moving to the cloud 737 9
- Iris open space/doc exchange for SATRs 215 2
- How much to charge for payroll? 898 16
- Unincorporated charity transfer to CIO 207 4
- BTC vs Digita 1,090 29
- Has anyone tried calling HMRC to get tax on dividends put in code? 496 4
- HMRC Joint Filing 562
- Capital Contribution towards a company car 420
- Capital Reduction & Impact on EIS Shares 373
- IRIS and FRS 102 354
- Capitalising Finance Lease 325
- USA help 317
- National Minimum Wage issue on Directors joining a Workplace Pension 296
- Dormant company accounts under FRS 102 292
- Marginal rates of tax 284
- Class 2 NI 270