Negligible value assets
I understand that where an assets has become worthless the buyer can claim loss relief by having sold and immediately required at market value (s 24(2) TCGA 1992) however i have had no experience in doing this claim.
I have been on the HMRC site to look at the list of quoted shares that they have http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/cgt/negvalist.htm and the company that i am interested in is not on there, the company is the well known enron.
A client of mine has a high number of enron shares and wishes to make a negligible value claim.
I have contacted HMRC and they have advised that i can either do this on the Self Assessment return or prior to this filling out a CG34 Form, by filling out the form they will provide if it is a negligible value claim and the supposed amount.
Has anyone had any experience they could offer me
If he makes a claim in the 2011/12 tax year will the loss carry forward forever or is there a time limit (if there is a time limit, it may be worth waiting a few years until he can relieve the loss against an expected gain in the future)
Any guidance on this would be very much appreciated.
- Dress code 539 14
- Dividend 26 1
- Recommendations for Ross Martin Tax Consultancy 2014 320 2
- FILING COMPANY ACCOUNTS 1,114 33
- ACCA practice certificates 94 2
- Accounts submitted to a the charities comission 218 5
- French Excise Duty - Help Please! 183 3
- Tax on grant a lease - no proceeds 117 1
- What would you do in this situation? 704 14
- What quality paper do you use for correspondence? 536 16
- Project being run jointly 225 3
- Buying Microsoft's Surface Pro 3 329 4
- Companies House 625 9
- not self employed since March 2011 now received a penalty for late tax return for year 2012-13 398 11
- Where to start to get any of jobs in Finance and Accounting Industry 747 9
- How much did you pay for your website 1,467 25
- Help Required 443 10
- directors control and tax problems 342 5
- Fastest Software 818 13
- What's in a name ? 432 5
- CTA study material 720
- Anyone have clients that use Pay4Later to offer customers credit? 442
- Employment related securities question 280
- AIM Stocks and IHT 257
- Raiders of the Lost Tax File 240
- Tax Relief for overseas employees 220
- Expat pension contributions? 210
- Trust for Employee 208
- Quickbooks losing VAT return data 192
- IPP (International Pension Plan) income 125