Negligible value assets
I understand that where an assets has become worthless the buyer can claim loss relief by having sold and immediately required at market value (s 24(2) TCGA 1992) however i have had no experience in doing this claim.
I have been on the HMRC site to look at the list of quoted shares that they have http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/cgt/negvalist.htm and the company that i am interested in is not on there, the company is the well known enron.
A client of mine has a high number of enron shares and wishes to make a negligible value claim.
I have contacted HMRC and they have advised that i can either do this on the Self Assessment return or prior to this filling out a CG34 Form, by filling out the form they will provide if it is a negligible value claim and the supposed amount.
Has anyone had any experience they could offer me
If he makes a claim in the 2011/12 tax year will the loss carry forward forever or is there a time limit (if there is a time limit, it may be worth waiting a few years until he can relieve the loss against an expected gain in the future)
Any guidance on this would be very much appreciated.
- Transferring rental property to limited company 148 8
- Advertising Tips? 133 6
- IR35 287 3
- Not renewing AAT 1,401 14
- Cloud-based email services? 235 6
- VAT Box 7 and supplies from unregistered traders 398 12
- Exclusion of single director companies from the Employment Allowance in 2016/17 171 5
- Dormant co. now trading 296 9
- Entrepreneur - want to submit accounts by myself 1,647 21
- Client tied in to accountant. Unfair contract? 2,140 25
- Company Structure 102 4
- Online or Paper 64-8? 186 4
- 2012 13 HMRC QUERY 390 4
- Lease premium payment of £20,000 141 3
- Notifying HMRC when striking off company that never traded 114 2
- VAT on sale of goods outside of EU - Flat Rate 135 5
- Late PAYE Registration 195 6
- Auto enrolment confusion 1,472 27
- Do joint employment contracts enjoy double NI allowances? 150 3
- Auto Enrolment 590 3
- Self employed and HMRC Worldwide Subsistence Rates 722
- 2015 tax year end 461
- Interest paid - do new rules affect Tax Credits? 424
- Self employed consultant working in Ireland 370
- Costly Accounting Software contract 346
- Directors' advances and credits 277
- Market Invoice (P2P invoice discounting) tax treatment 258
- DTA tie-breaker issue 246
- Tax on internet ad sharing income 232
- Credit against UK NI for NI paid to EEC Countries 206