Negligible value assets
I understand that where an assets has become worthless the buyer can claim loss relief by having sold and immediately required at market value (s 24(2) TCGA 1992) however i have had no experience in doing this claim.
I have been on the HMRC site to look at the list of quoted shares that they have http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/cgt/negvalist.htm and the company that i am interested in is not on there, the company is the well known enron.
A client of mine has a high number of enron shares and wishes to make a negligible value claim.
I have contacted HMRC and they have advised that i can either do this on the Self Assessment return or prior to this filling out a CG34 Form, by filling out the form they will provide if it is a negligible value claim and the supposed amount.
Has anyone had any experience they could offer me
If he makes a claim in the 2011/12 tax year will the loss carry forward forever or is there a time limit (if there is a time limit, it may be worth waiting a few years until he can relieve the loss against an expected gain in the future)
Any guidance on this would be very much appreciated.
- VAT Option to tax 446 16
- Brain freeze - loss on disposal of company car 140 5
- Capital allowance vehicle exchange 183 7
- S162 and Capital Allowances 124 2
- Director leaving in month 1 103 2
- Ex Gratia payments 64 1
- HMRC chasing club for unpaid fees 243 3
- Unaudited accounts and an accountant’s certificate of confirmation 138 4
- Selling assets to yourself ? 183 3
- 24 Month Rule - New Employer 179 3
- Director's remuneration accrual 165 4
- IHT - clawback of BPR 46 1
- EIS - connection through employment 92 2
- HMRC Dispensation - How long does it last for? 240 3
- Electronically supplied services - B2B 50 1
- CIS and Close Company 87 2
- Correct tax & VAT treatment of local overnight expenses 225 4
- Secondment expenses 152 3
- Is VAT payable on insurance claims received ?? 122 3
- late vat registration and immediate deregistration 138 3
- Residential Property Purchase Above £750K 906
- Using Sage with Sofa Categories 637
- Free Tax Legislation? 401
- Director Loan account operation 396
- Understanding the implications of January 2015 VAT changes for downloads on threshold for VAT registration 331
- transferring simply accounting 2010 from xp to windows 7 318
- Sage 200 and Access Dimensions reviews 284
- rent-a-room allowance for part of the year 222
- Paye procedures for CVA 217
- HMRC Second Income Campaign - not so much a question as heads up 182