Negligible value assets
I understand that where an assets has become worthless the buyer can claim loss relief by having sold and immediately required at market value (s 24(2) TCGA 1992) however i have had no experience in doing this claim.
I have been on the HMRC site to look at the list of quoted shares that they have http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/cgt/negvalist.htm and the company that i am interested in is not on there, the company is the well known enron.
A client of mine has a high number of enron shares and wishes to make a negligible value claim.
I have contacted HMRC and they have advised that i can either do this on the Self Assessment return or prior to this filling out a CG34 Form, by filling out the form they will provide if it is a negligible value claim and the supposed amount.
Has anyone had any experience they could offer me
If he makes a claim in the 2011/12 tax year will the loss carry forward forever or is there a time limit (if there is a time limit, it may be worth waiting a few years until he can relieve the loss against an expected gain in the future)
Any guidance on this would be very much appreciated.
- What font do you prefer to use for correspondence? 199 9
- Excel query 57 2
- Funding Circle experience 105 2
- Do I need to pay my accountant 1,228 13
- Payment on account penalties 77 3
- Tax on free shares 109 5
- Flat Rate Vat 14.5% and 5% reduced rate VAT 183 3
- Capital allowances on sale and puchase of business assets 112 1
- Audit 467 14
- Course costs for retraining as a barrister 384 8
- PPR relief and half hectare rule 109 3
- Buying a horse?? 396 12
- Question on HMRC past taxes (+penalties) on non-resident 183 2
- Uncomfortable with some advertising Sift takes 750 21
- PITA ex-client 233 9
- How to post Sales figures in Sage50 Accounts (we use separate Sales ledger) 244 6
- CTA and Tolley's tax handbooks 356 9
- Can I contribute to SIPP if I pay no salary/dividend from ltd company 323 5
- How to complain about HMRC 1,667 19
- New supplier 159 3
- CTA study material 801
- Anyone have clients that use Pay4Later to offer customers credit? 491
- Raiders of the Lost Tax File 453
- Employment related securities question 317
- AIM Stocks and IHT 304
- Expat pension contributions? 277
- Tax Relief for overseas employees 275
- Trust for Employee 253
- Service Charge Accountant Career Options 222
- IPP (International Pension Plan) income 158