Negligible value assets
I understand that where an assets has become worthless the buyer can claim loss relief by having sold and immediately required at market value (s 24(2) TCGA 1992) however i have had no experience in doing this claim.
I have been on the HMRC site to look at the list of quoted shares that they have http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/cgt/negvalist.htm and the company that i am interested in is not on there, the company is the well known enron.
A client of mine has a high number of enron shares and wishes to make a negligible value claim.
I have contacted HMRC and they have advised that i can either do this on the Self Assessment return or prior to this filling out a CG34 Form, by filling out the form they will provide if it is a negligible value claim and the supposed amount.
Has anyone had any experience they could offer me
If he makes a claim in the 2011/12 tax year will the loss carry forward forever or is there a time limit (if there is a time limit, it may be worth waiting a few years until he can relieve the loss against an expected gain in the future)
Any guidance on this would be very much appreciated.
- Builder Gifted Deposit and capital gains 542 22
- another ir35!!!! 122 2
- Subscriptions not on HMRC list of approved bodies 196 1
- Why do HMRC have a different FPS liability to the amount I sent? 765 11
- Settlement, or any other issues? 54 1
- Paint Manufacturer Flat Rate Scheme 70 3
- Buying blocks of fees 333 2
- Practical Query: Entrepreneurs and PPR Reliefs 259 3
- Tax treatment of cashed in American Savings Plan 156 2
- Daily Penalties 2012/13 133 1
- IR35 & Managed Service Companies 250 1
- Previous accountant filed dormant accounts in error 115 1
- Wear and tear allowance 301 4
- Limited Company - Personal Bank Account 635 24
- Husband and Wife Holiday letting profit split 117 3
- tax insider 376 5
- Tax on sale of shares 88 2
- Amazon - digital book sales 223 2
- late payroll registration 95 1
- *Urgent pls advise * filing dormant accounts to Companies House 492 18
- Skandia using wrong address 1,422
- Nil Rate Band Trust - index linked debt by way of charge over property 734
- Any views 668
- HMRC Employers Diary 497
- International interest certificate 412
- Stamp Duty on share for share exchange 371
- Sale of business 324
- NOVA 233
- Advertising services? 222
- IRIS Open Books problem 214