Negligible value assets
I understand that where an assets has become worthless the buyer can claim loss relief by having sold and immediately required at market value (s 24(2) TCGA 1992) however i have had no experience in doing this claim.
I have been on the HMRC site to look at the list of quoted shares that they have http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/cgt/negvalist.htm and the company that i am interested in is not on there, the company is the well known enron.
A client of mine has a high number of enron shares and wishes to make a negligible value claim.
I have contacted HMRC and they have advised that i can either do this on the Self Assessment return or prior to this filling out a CG34 Form, by filling out the form they will provide if it is a negligible value claim and the supposed amount.
Has anyone had any experience they could offer me
If he makes a claim in the 2011/12 tax year will the loss carry forward forever or is there a time limit (if there is a time limit, it may be worth waiting a few years until he can relieve the loss against an expected gain in the future)
Any guidance on this would be very much appreciated.
- Can interest received be netted against interest paid in this scenario? 130 2
- Film Actors - Averaging? 334 9
- Paying Harvest casuals and casual beaters 216 3
- FreeAgent question 113 2
- Retrospectively change VAT scheme? 141 2
- CIS monthly returns 192 2
- Goodie bag 1,562 52
- Husband Wife let property 354 9
- Partnership Tax Return £100 penalty-was a tax return due in this case? 503 12
- Output tax for retailer 319 8
- Footballers Testimonials Taxable? 288 3
- 13-14 Payroll return needs to be filed 142 2
- Payroll Software & Auto Enrolement 139 1
- CT600 Advice 147 1
- Fair Value Accounting 83 1
- Client incurring expenses on company car 163 4
- can I approach clients ? 418 8
- Companies House Penalties 156 2
- Apostille documents 121 2
- Budget 2015 predictions 551 13
- Possible Partnership? 645
- Tax and accounting treatment on long lease granted from freehold 521
- New Fangled Penalties 450
- Fuming! 384
- Purchase of property freehold - capitalisation of costs 319
- Charity dissolution and newly merged charity 259
- Outsource Data Entry 243
- Lenovo – Superfish & Komodia – is your PC vulnerable 238
- Moving away from CCH software 231
- Do I need a US Tax Identification Number to complete W-8BEN-E? 178