Negligible value assets
I understand that where an assets has become worthless the buyer can claim loss relief by having sold and immediately required at market value (s 24(2) TCGA 1992) however i have had no experience in doing this claim.
I have been on the HMRC site to look at the list of quoted shares that they have http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/cgt/negvalist.htm and the company that i am interested in is not on there, the company is the well known enron.
A client of mine has a high number of enron shares and wishes to make a negligible value claim.
I have contacted HMRC and they have advised that i can either do this on the Self Assessment return or prior to this filling out a CG34 Form, by filling out the form they will provide if it is a negligible value claim and the supposed amount.
Has anyone had any experience they could offer me
If he makes a claim in the 2011/12 tax year will the loss carry forward forever or is there a time limit (if there is a time limit, it may be worth waiting a few years until he can relieve the loss against an expected gain in the future)
Any guidance on this would be very much appreciated.
- Accountex flash mob 364 11
- Child benefit 171 6
- New desktop accounting and payroll, help, please 269 8
- Thoughts on revenue recognition 76 1
- IR 35 91 2
- Cash extraction pre-sale 85 1
- IT systems + software 61 2
- VAT on non-denominated postage 385 10
- ACCA UK Practising Certificate 129 2
- Moneysoft Payroll Manager Connection Problem 95 1
- Money Laundering and handover 606 4
- Getting fees, getting harder? 1,440 29
- Property sale split between years 299 10
- Capital introduction 233 6
- CIS Deductions 331 9
- Inheritance Tax Advice 248 3
- Tax on selling a sole trader business 221 8
- Final accounts - procedure 170 1
- What are the tax implications of bringing funds into the UK from abroad? 252 3
- Spousal transfer and PPR 366 10
- Services via intermediaries and new HMRC reporting requirements 645
- LIVE: Budget aftermath webinar 408
- Pensions Regulator 380
- RTI - duplicate employee record 337
- NIC contribution on unremitted income 328
- SA penalty proposals 303
- Using the correct forms 301
- How hard is it to reduce a code? 288
- Digital marketing focus group 199
- Sage Vat return box 2 197