Negligible value assets
I understand that where an assets has become worthless the buyer can claim loss relief by having sold and immediately required at market value (s 24(2) TCGA 1992) however i have had no experience in doing this claim.
I have been on the HMRC site to look at the list of quoted shares that they have http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/cgt/negvalist.htm and the company that i am interested in is not on there, the company is the well known enron.
A client of mine has a high number of enron shares and wishes to make a negligible value claim.
I have contacted HMRC and they have advised that i can either do this on the Self Assessment return or prior to this filling out a CG34 Form, by filling out the form they will provide if it is a negligible value claim and the supposed amount.
Has anyone had any experience they could offer me
If he makes a claim in the 2011/12 tax year will the loss carry forward forever or is there a time limit (if there is a time limit, it may be worth waiting a few years until he can relieve the loss against an expected gain in the future)
Any guidance on this would be very much appreciated.
- Closing my business down 57 4
- What do you all do in your spare time? 835 34
- New ACCOUNTINGQUESTIONS website launching 247 6
- JUDGE FRAUD ALERT 240 4
- VAT on long lease in comercial property that has opted to Tax 190 6
- Director - earning less than £8500 and no taxable benefits - PllD? 73 1
- So who has completed a 2015 tax return then? 578 12
- Scams are not always obvious 2,238 36
- Auto Enrolment - Director Only Answer 1,461 21
- CIS Subcontractor Catch Twenty Two Position after 14 years 181 2
- VAT flat rate scheme 85 1
- Can I record depreciation, prepayments and accrued expenses in cash accounting? 283 4
- Need some help on importing procedures and VAT 80 1
- I have let a client go as it wasnt worth the hassle, 2,088 19
- TaxCalc - A Return to Form 404 6
- Should a non trustee sign Scottish charity accounts? 146 1
- How do we get US withholding tax back? 214 3
- FPS or EPS 162 2
- Continuity of Practice 214 2
- IRIS Professional Yearend 141 2
- Moving away from CCH software 952
- QROP pension input amounts 439
- write off loan or loan to equity swap or both 381
- HMRC BENCHMARK EXPENSES 356
- Unused Losses and Post Cessation Receipts 325
- fraud 284
- EIS relief on transferring shares to spouse 256
- Sole trade business in UK, but the owner works from EU 227
- Construction CIS LLP Company 211
- EPS and CIS deductions 198