Negligible value assets
I understand that where an assets has become worthless the buyer can claim loss relief by having sold and immediately required at market value (s 24(2) TCGA 1992) however i have had no experience in doing this claim.
I have been on the HMRC site to look at the list of quoted shares that they have http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/cgt/negvalist.htm and the company that i am interested in is not on there, the company is the well known enron.
A client of mine has a high number of enron shares and wishes to make a negligible value claim.
I have contacted HMRC and they have advised that i can either do this on the Self Assessment return or prior to this filling out a CG34 Form, by filling out the form they will provide if it is a negligible value claim and the supposed amount.
Has anyone had any experience they could offer me
If he makes a claim in the 2011/12 tax year will the loss carry forward forever or is there a time limit (if there is a time limit, it may be worth waiting a few years until he can relieve the loss against an expected gain in the future)
Any guidance on this would be very much appreciated.
- Company Limited by Guarantee 25 1
- My friend may have unknowingly participated in a tax avoidance scheme... 824 7
- Chargeable Gains - CT600 31 1
- Auto enrollment. What's the basis for contribution ? 353 9
- VAT underpayment 118 5
- notarising & legalising documents 41 1
- HMRC CT600 TOOL 185 3
- Contracting, Subcontracting and Agency Worker Regs 219 4
- National Living Wage: creating jobs or unemployment? 149 3
- Company Van 308 8
- Shortening an Accounting Reference Date 954 19
- Sage Drive Queue.dta file lock out 389 10
- Connected person and properties 183 4
- Business only use of company car 1,611 35
- cash basis 142 1
- Restoring a Ltd company which had been struck off 327 8
- question 299 2
- Do your DIY clients ever get their books right ? 732 13
- Overlap profits 425 14
- How do I correct a previous accountants major mistake on PAYE/SA? 836 11
- RTI Rollback to delete incorrect data 390
- Any thoughts on Capium? 358
- Motor Traders Assistant Bookkeeping Programme queries 279
- Tracesmart/Lexis Nexis AML software? Any opinions? 254
- Continuity of practice-ACCA 242
- French ConnectionUK 192
- Recommended International mobile phone coverage and costs? 183
- Fundraising for friend - minimise tax? 177
- Can anyone explain Indian Minimum Alternate Tax 175
- APN's 163