Negligible value assets
I understand that where an assets has become worthless the buyer can claim loss relief by having sold and immediately required at market value (s 24(2) TCGA 1992) however i have had no experience in doing this claim.
I have been on the HMRC site to look at the list of quoted shares that they have http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/cgt/negvalist.htm and the company that i am interested in is not on there, the company is the well known enron.
A client of mine has a high number of enron shares and wishes to make a negligible value claim.
I have contacted HMRC and they have advised that i can either do this on the Self Assessment return or prior to this filling out a CG34 Form, by filling out the form they will provide if it is a negligible value claim and the supposed amount.
Has anyone had any experience they could offer me
If he makes a claim in the 2011/12 tax year will the loss carry forward forever or is there a time limit (if there is a time limit, it may be worth waiting a few years until he can relieve the loss against an expected gain in the future)
Any guidance on this would be very much appreciated.
- Treatment of EU Purchases on Sage 69 2
- Director's tax return 147 3
- Tricky VAT question 62 1
- Wrong career 351 15
- RTI Annual Scheme Query 81 2
- MONEYSOFT - EARLIER YEAR UPDATE 195 6
- VT accounts licence key 194 5
- Weely paid employees 186 2
- Splitting the tax year 48 1
- FPS Submission 95 2
- PTP software disaster 170 1
- Value pricing 625 20
- non resident receiving UK dividends 194 3
- P11d & Medical Ins 103 1
- vat return 207 1
- Underpaid National Insurance 158 3
- Small employers paying people when sick thanks alot! 2,957 31
- Keep receiving RTI late submission notice 154 3
- reporting salary? 248 5
- Other forums 205 3
- Residential Property Purchase Above £750K 781
- Using Sage with Sofa Categories 535
- Does anyone have an unwanted ICAEW wooden plaque? 405
- Goods shipped inter EU and VAT Reporting 287
- Free Tax Legislation? 240
- Non-Resident Director - UK Tax Position? 231
- Director Loan account operation 225
- Sage 200 and Access Dimensions reviews 221
- transferring simply accounting 2010 from xp to windows 7 216
- Paye procedures for CVA 155