Negligible value assets
I understand that where an assets has become worthless the buyer can claim loss relief by having sold and immediately required at market value (s 24(2) TCGA 1992) however i have had no experience in doing this claim.
I have been on the HMRC site to look at the list of quoted shares that they have http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/cgt/negvalist.htm and the company that i am interested in is not on there, the company is the well known enron.
A client of mine has a high number of enron shares and wishes to make a negligible value claim.
I have contacted HMRC and they have advised that i can either do this on the Self Assessment return or prior to this filling out a CG34 Form, by filling out the form they will provide if it is a negligible value claim and the supposed amount.
Has anyone had any experience they could offer me
If he makes a claim in the 2011/12 tax year will the loss carry forward forever or is there a time limit (if there is a time limit, it may be worth waiting a few years until he can relieve the loss against an expected gain in the future)
Any guidance on this would be very much appreciated.
- Group Audit Thresholds 287 7
- Deduction from Salary 527 13
- Why would they want his purchase invoices?? 70 1
- Sole properietor 364 7
- Legal title not in the company name 647 20
- Splitting hairs with a national firm 1,375 12
- Using profits from Ltd company as start up funds for new venture 133 4
- inheritance tax 199 7
- Pay in Lieu of notice 219 6
- Doctor and Locum Work 198 3
- Farm barn lettings 175 3
- Capital payments offshore trust 78 1
- Gift with reservation, IHT & CGT 110 1
- Sage 50 re-key - VAT problem 133 2
- Unreimbursed employee expenses 203 1
- State pension 197 1
- NALS Accountants Report 307 4
- Sage valuing foreign bank balances 266 6
- Has anyone read the implications of the Lisbon treaty? 1,153 40
- CIC Company 628 11
- Property exchange - 8-year legal delay following fall-out 637
- Cancelled 383
- SAGE Payroll Data for Import to MS Dynamics AX 352
- Cancelled 329
- Have you staged yet for auto enrolment? 301
- Probiz 293
- Free-standing washing machine - unfurnished lettings 266
- VAT on non-profit making clubs (ECJ VS West Dorset Golf Club) 252
- Phishing emails purporting to be from CIPFA? 218
- Is this UK incapacity benefit taxable in UK or Jersey? 196