A client has been living temporarily in the UK since late 2007. Currently residing in the UK on “limited leave to remain residence permit” until January 2013. Position after January 2013 unclear, expects to be allowed to remain in the UK and may qualify for full UK citizenship.
Resident and Ordinarily Resident in the UK for tax purposes, but not domiciled in the UK, domicile still overseas.
Prior to coming to the UK (i.e. before becoming tax resident in the UK) part of the proceeds resulting from the sale of some shares were deposited in a personal account in the Channel Islands.
Some the funds deposited in the Channel Islands have been lent to UK businesses set up by the client after becoming tax resident, who is also a director and part shareholder in the companies.
1. Is there a tax implication in a non-domiciled tax resident loaning a UK based company money sourced from offshore funds?
2. For tax purposes – is the loan deemed a UK based asset or an offshore asset?
3. If the client transferred the loan from his personal capacity into an offshore trust (set up prior to becoming tax resident in the UK) – will this incur an IHT tax liability?
- What aspects of accountancy/book-keeping most trouble people 145 3
- Accountant software 413 11
- Accounting jobs in the UK 142 2
- Foreign income on Self Assesment 231 1
- Dividend paid to non-shareholder 199 4
- CIS gross status review 92 1
- Notes needed for a new partner in an LLP 125 2
- Dividend payments to spouses 353 6
- Flat rate vat error 244 5
- Whats the best way to keep my accounts? 135 5
- How do I clear transaction history - Sage 50 v9 145 2
- Whats the best way to keep my accounts? 86 1
- Property versus Trade in a Ltd Company 147 4
- When will Private Principal Residence Relief cut will start? 363 8
- Snotty HMRC letter - continued 621 17
- Dispensation pointless ? 269 4
- Accountant Pays Clients Tax 611 11
- Are bankruptcy restrictions order becoming more common? 202 4
- Charge out rates in London? 217 2
- Negative retained earnings & Dividends 185 3
- Desperately seeking Susan, Sam or anyone with any other name 754
- Experience with Islamic investor following Sharia-compliant rules? 484
- Darwinpay Partnership Assessment 297
- How to format a stock book 264
- S464A Charge to tax: conferring benefit & BIK 212
- Tax efficient holding company structure 202
- Outlook 2007 with business contact manager not loading on new laptop 193
- Investment property company accounts template 190
- auto enrolment - calculation of first pension deduction 171
- Sage 50 Customer Statements and Running Balances 161